L.A. Noire - Gen. Discussion & Info - Rockstar Pass 800pts: All Pre-order DLC + More!

I dont know why but my stats on the rockstar social site has stopped. It still shows my last case as in progress when i finished that. I also replayed and completed two cases with 5 stars. Neither of the cases i replayed show up with 5 stars. Guess its not really a big deal but come on.

hmmm just got a 4mb update from this game, any ideas what for?

I am about half way through and starting to get a little bored to be honest. Although the cases change the mechanics of doing them are the exact same. At least the stories are really interesting and entertaining but I feel I would rather watch someone play this than play it myself.

Still really am enjoying it but enough with the chase scenes both on foot and driving and slightly getting tired of walking around the room pressing A on everything like a Japanese RPG.

Just beat it. I really like it. The scenery, the music, cars, and everything else make it feel like the 1940s.

The one thing I despised was
Using Jack Kelso for the last few cases of the game. I honestly never really cared for Kelso or even understood why you played as him

I do need to go back and finish up street crimes, landmarks, etc.

[quote name='matto1233']With everybody talking bad about the game now, I'm rethinking buying this...
Oh well, I just picked up a few new games anyway, I'll wait and see I guess.[/QUOTE]

Well I really enjoyed the game. There are certainly critiques you can make about it but it's still one of the 2 best games released this year (along with Portal 2 which I have yet to play.)

I think a lot of people went into it thinking GTA in 1940 and it's not. I was wanting something to scratch my Heavy Rain itch with the Rockstar polish in terms of acting & style and I got it. Those complaining about length I guess have never played Heavy Rain, which can be beaten in about 8-10 hours.

Heavy Rain was the unanimous choice for GotY on my podcast last year between myself and my co-host, and I think LA Noire will definately be a contender, but there's a lot of competition this year.

Edit: Here's the press release about the patch from Rockstar:

"Today a new automatic title update (version 1.00) for L.A. Noire will be deployed on both the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. You will be prompted to download the title update as soon as you sign into PlayStation Network or Xbox LIVE.
Noteworthy changes and fixes include:
Fixes for several in-game store issues including age-verification for DLC purchases
Fixes for minor gameplay bugs and graphical issues
Fixes for several minor plot/objective/conversation issues
Improvements in stat-tracking and Social-Club integration
As always, if you are experiencing any issues or have questions related to this title update, we implore you to contact our technical support team through either of the channels listed below:

Rockstar Support: http://www.rockstargames.com/support
Rockstar Support on Twitter: http://twitter.com/RockstarSupport "

I was just disappointed in how the game is really about grading you on how many clues you can find, and how well you are at interrogation, instead of actually solving a case on your own. Not to mention that when you think you solved a case,
a few cases later you find out that you were wrong anyway. Kind of kills the replay value when you know your going to be wrong either way. I can solve a case with 5 stars, but im wrong in the end. What?

Wow you would think rockstars own cheat map would be perfect, but so far a few landmarks were two or three blocks away from where they pin point them on their own map. Someone needs to be fired. :applause:

My stats now say i have 21/21 cases solved, but notebook questions asked 0, successful accusations 0, failed accusations 0, notebook interview left early 2, notebook interview inactivity comments 5. LOLWUT?

[quote name='MSUHitman']I think a lot of people went into it thinking GTA in 1940 and it's not. I was wanting something to scratch my Heavy Rain itch with the Rockstar polish in terms of acting & style and I got it. Those complaining about length I guess have never played Heavy Rain, which can be beaten in about 8-10 hours.[/QUOTE]
I'm not really sure how many people expected that, though. I've seen a lot of hand-wringing in enthusiast press online about that question ("Will people go in under false assumptions?"), but to be honest, most everyone I've talked to about it didn't seem to be under that impression, and likewise with the reactions I'm reading online. If anything, it tries too hard to be like GTA at times, as some of the action setpieces just didn't seem to tonally fit with the game.

After beating it, it's gone back up in my estimation. It ties itself together pretty well, but there are still some lingering story problems (the meta story doesn't make nearly as much sense unless you get the newspapers -- I missed the first one and was confused for quite some time) and character issues (Spoiler for Vice Desk onward - don't read if you're not that far:
Like, why do Cole and Elsa suddenly become lovers, when Cole's established as a family man and up to that point we only see him vaguely show signs he might fancy her when he watches her performance once?

This game is undeniably one of, if not the, most improtant release this year. It's a huge watershed for storytelling in games, and it tackles some pretty heavy shit with maturity and deftness. But scoring it would be tricky given all of its minor annoyances.

EDIT: looks like the game "forgot" my stats in the Notebook section of Statistics. WTF?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got 50/50 film reels.

Anyone remember what cases are on what discs? It sucks if you try to play a case thats on another disc, you cant back out. I either have to change discs, or quit to dash and boot the game up again.

Anyone have a good car guide? I have 73 of 95 cars so far. If there is some kind of checklist out there, i can look at the ones ive unlocked and see which ones i need.

[quote name='MSUHitman']I think a lot of people went into it thinking GTA in 1940 and it's not. I was wanting something to scratch my Heavy Rain itch with the Rockstar polish in terms of acting & style and I got it. Those complaining about length I guess have never played Heavy Rain, which can be beaten in about 8-10 hours.
[/QUOTE]

This seems to be a common defense for the game, that detractors were expecting GTA in the 40s. I disagree, a lot of the complaints even mentioned here have nothing to do with expecting the game to be GTA. I am enjoying the game, but many of the complaints are certainly valid criticisms. Call it growing pains for a new type of adventure game.

Are you serious? Twice now i go get the hidden car Ford H-Boy because its cool. While im searching for cars i need, I stop a car to get in it to see if i need it, i turn around and my Ford H-Boy is gone. WTF? The other time i stopped in some used cars lot, got in a few cars, turned around and my H-boy was gone.

LOL i just figured out that when holding down the LT (aiming your gun) you can click in the RS to get him to switch which shoulder he is aiming over.

And there have been more than a few times when i cant enter a car. I press Y and he wont get in, sometimes i hold Y and my partner gets in but i cant.

Just finished this, weak ending.

And what the hell is going on with my street crimes, I enter free roam through all the desks and it shows no street crimes left on my map yet I'm at 36/40

[quote name='The 7th Number']Are you serious? Twice now i go get the hidden car Ford H-Boy because its cool. While im searching for cars i need, I stop a car to get in it to see if i need it, i turn around and my Ford H-Boy is gone. WTF? The other time i stopped in some used cars lot, got in a few cars, turned around and my H-boy was gone.

LOL i just figured out that when holding down the LT (aiming your gun) you can click in the RS to get him to switch which shoulder he is aiming over.

And there have been more than a few times when i cant enter a car. I press Y and he wont get in, sometimes i hold Y and my partner gets in but i cant.[/QUOTE]

I've had that happen as well, I just took a different nearby car. Also once was driving around and my partner got out of the vehicle. I left him thinking it wasn't a problem but when I checked the map a few minutes later to figure out where he was, he was moving away from me and a good quarter of the map away. I don't know WTF that was but I was in free roam so I just quit out.

[quote name='exileinoblivion']Just finished this, weak ending.

And what the hell is going on with my street crimes, I enter free roam through all the desks and it shows no street crimes left on my map yet I'm at 36/40[/QUOTE]

If you log into the rockstar social club (assuming you signed up for it) you can see what desk still has street crimes to do, and they even list each crime. So at least you can narrow it down. When i was doing them, sometimes no new ones would pop up, so id quit out and start a new free roam and right away one that i didnt do would pop up.

Damn i have 5 cars to go to get 100%. Not sure im going to go for 5 stars in every case.

[quote name='exileinoblivion']Just finished this, weak ending.

And what the hell is going on with my street crimes, I enter free roam through all the desks and it shows no street crimes left on my map yet I'm at 36/40[/QUOTE]
I've read that some take place only at certain times of the day. If you don't see a red crime marker on the map, then exit and re-enter free roam until you do, on the desk that's missing them.

Does anyone know how we redeem the codes for this game (the DLC suits and cases that came with preorders). It's a 16 digit code. I sold one of them on eBay and this guy is arguing that he can't use the code anywhere because they are demanding a 25 digit code so the 16 digit one won't work. Is he full of it or what is the issue?

edit: Nevermind, I figured it out on google after like a second. Turns out this guy got screwed since the DLC isn't even out yet and it's not gonna cost nearly as much as he paid for the code.

What console is the code you sold him for? Xbox 360 uses 25 digit codes, and I think PlayStation uses 16 digit ones. He might have bought a code for the wrong console maybe.

[quote name='jgon85']If I missed the newspaper in the first case, can I go back and get it when I start the traffic division cases?[/QUOTE]

Yep.

I just beat the
Fallen Idol quest
, how much of the game do I have left? I'm asking because I feel like whenever I do a mission I'm beating a huge chunk of the game.

[quote name='gbpackers94']I just beat the
Fallen Idol quest
, how much of the game do I have left? I'm asking because I feel like whenever I do a mission I'm beating a huge chunk of the game.[/QUOTE]

You have a long way to go. That case is from the first desk.

I have 2 cars left to find to 100% the game, and they are being a bitch!

Buick Custom - ive read its in Hollywood. I know what it looks like, but havent seen it. Drove on hollywood street, through the words hollywood on the map, still dont see it. If anyone knows a specific street they found it on please let me know.

Mercury Custom - I know what this car looks like too. Only problem is i dont know where "east downtown" is. Thats where i read you can find it at. I looked in the south east corner of the map, south central, and nothing. Again, if anyone knows an area where it can be found please let me know. So tired of driving around.

10. Buick Custom
Location: Hollywood. In the Boxing Stadium parking lot on Gower St near Selma Ave. A great time to get it is when you leave this location during "The Set Up."

3. Mercury Custom
Location: East Downtown. Parked Behind the Maldonado Residence in "The Silk Stocking Murder."

That's from a guide I'll be using shortly. Hope that helps. :)

[quote name='whiptcracker']This seems to be a common defense for the game, that detractors were expecting GTA in the 40s. I disagree, a lot of the complaints even mentioned here have nothing to do with expecting the game to be GTA. I am enjoying the game, but many of the complaints are certainly valid criticisms. Call it growing pains for a new type of adventure game.[/QUOTE]

My biggest criticism with the game is like others have said, I wish it had the dynamic endings Heavy Rain did so you could actually fail the case instead of just getting a 1-star rating.

Is this game worth the 60 dollars it's at? Or should I wait until the price goes down a bit? I love how this game reminds me of the Phoenix Wright series (which I loved), so I'm pretty interested in this. Glad Rockstar decided to make this instead of another GTA for now.

[quote name='JustYourAverageJoe']10. Buick Custom
Location: Hollywood. In the Boxing Stadium parking lot on Gower St near Selma Ave. A great time to get it is when you leave this location during "The Set Up."

3. Mercury Custom
Location: East Downtown. Parked Behind the Maldonado Residence in "The Silk Stocking Murder."

That's from a guide I'll be using shortly. Hope that helps. :)
[/QUOTE]

Thanks, i got the Mercury Custom, sitting out right where you said it would be. But ONLY showed up in the story. Tried to go there in free roam and it wasnt there. Ill try for the last car later today, because i went there in free roam and it wasnt there. So ill have to do it in the story.

I really hope rockstar continue to use the facial animations, they are awesome. Would love to see the next GTA game with them.

I just finished homicide and this game is officially brilliant.

First of all, the game is not strictly linear like Final Fantasy. Though the overall storyline continues, your actions do have consequences in small ways. The best way to play this game is to just continue on, living with whatever mistakes you made.

Second, even if you completely botch an investigation, life goes on. No, you didn't solve it as if you got everything right. I wouldn't want it to be something like, you failed to doubt this question, game over, fade to black. Sometimes investigators will lose a witness, but find out info in other ways.

Third, you are being rated in the investigation as the police chief would rate you. In one case, and here comes a big ass spoiler
everything pointed to Moller as the killer, and if you charge him, you only get three stars. Why? Because the captain wanted you to charge the pedophile, even though the pedophile wasn't the murderer.

No matter who you charge, life goes on, and they'll refer back to who you charged in later cases. That's certainly not "no matter what you do you still win" and "you can't influence anything." You can influence the storyline more than most games. This is not as linear as Final Fantasy, but there is a place that game is going to ultimately get to.

Fourth, even if you got everything right, and here comes the MAJOR SPOILER ALL HANDS ON DECK,
you failed every single homicide case no matter what you did. You charged five innocent guys with a murder they did not commit. Like real life, you managed to pressure them into confessing to a crime they did not commit.

And once you catch the real killer, you still fail.

The way that storyline ended was incredible. And, HERE COME MORE BIG ASS SPOILERS,
even after the chief told me I charged the wrong guy, I was genuinely frustrated. Moller was the guy in my mind, but we were both wrong. And the way the real killer was taunting me with messages, I felt like I was in a real murder mystery and chasing down some sick fuck.

Yeah, people are looking for the GTA experience and not finding it here, because the GTA experience is forgetting what the hell is even going on the storyline while you go parachuting or on a date. Tracking down the clues the real killer left in LA Noire was such an incredible blend of gameplay (not the hardest gameplay in the world, granted) and story telling. As someone who loves to visit LA, using the poems to track down places where the killer hid clues was very fun, and I got most of them right. I was screaming in my head "Pershing Square" before Cole solved the first poem excerpt.

Now that I understand this, I completely see why they set up the game this way. The homicide desk was truly brilliant.

[quote name='gbpackers94']I just beat the
Fallen Idol quest
, how much of the game do I have left? I'm asking because I feel like whenever I do a mission I'm beating a huge chunk of the game.[/QUOTE]

What you will realize is that the patrol and traffic cases are relatively short compared to the cases in homicide and beyond. Let yourself get lost in the cases and don't worry about the rating system or complaints about linearity. Do your best with the investigation and think things through. If you get something "wrong," keep going. Don't replay any cases. If you get frustrated, use that. The game wants you to get frustrated. Keep going.

The way the homicide cases resolve is brilliant.

[quote name='ajh2298']Did Rockstar comment yet if they will be adding content to the game via DLC like they did with GTA4?[/QUOTE]More cases? Yes.

Different gameplay elements, new main character, expanded area of the city to explore, etc.? No word yet.

Though Team Bondi would be the ones adding content.

Got 100% :)

I tried earlier to get "The Moose" achievement. First time i failed because trying to take a little step towards one way, makes my character lunge 3 step distances. So i quit and reloaded the mission, did it perfect the 2nd time through, achievement DIDNT unlock. WTF?

So F that, right now im getting 5 stars in all the cases.

Looking back i think this game is really good. I think i got too caught up in how many interrogation questions i guessed wrong. I still think the game would have been better off if they didnt tell you right away if you were right or wrong when finished with an interrogation question. Maybe i should have done each case with a little more love, and attention to details. Took things slower. Quitting and repeating some of the interrogation parts just to get them right didnt leave a good taste in my mouth looking back. But i tend to be one of those players who wants to do everything right on the first try. Right now i feel like i missed out on a great experience because i let interrogation questions get in the way. I didnt go through the story without quitting out, and replaying several parts. That kind of ruins the whole experience. So if you havent played this game yet, take these words of wisdom.

[quote name='Spokker']

Third, you are being rated in the investigation as the police chief would rate you. In one case, and here comes a big ass spoiler
everything pointed to Moller as the killer, and if you charge him, you only get three stars. Why? Because the captain wanted you to charge the pedophile, even though the pedophile wasn't the murderer.

[/QUOTE]

This is kind of ambiguous. There was evidence that pointed to both of them but I personally didn't think that it was either one, but since I had to choose one, pinning the pedophile seemed like the lesser evil.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Got 100% :)

I tried earlier to get "The Moose" achievement. First time i failed because trying to take a little step towards one way, makes my character lunge 3 step distances. So i quit and reloaded the mission, did it perfect the 2nd time through, achievement DIDNT unlock. WTF?

So F that, right now im getting 5 stars in all the cases.

Looking back i think this game is really good. I think i got too caught up in how many interrogation questions i guessed wrong. I still think the game would have been better off if they didnt tell you right away if you were right or wrong when finished with an interrogation question. Maybe i should have done each case with a little more love, and attention to details. Took things slower. Quitting and repeating some of the interrogation parts just to get them right didnt leave a good taste in my mouth looking back. But i tend to be one of those players who wants to do everything right on the first try. Right now i feel like i missed out on a great experience because i let interrogation questions get in the way. I didnt go through the story without quitting out, and replaying several parts. That kind of ruins the whole experience. So if you havent played this game yet, take these words of wisdom.[/QUOTE]

This is what I like about this game. In one case if you did the interrogation successfully, you are given the location where you need to go. However if you failed, you have to follow the person in car to find the location

[quote name='The 7th Number']Got 100% :)

Looking back i think this game is really good. I think i got too caught up in how many interrogation questions i guessed wrong. I still think the game would have been better off if they didnt tell you right away if you were right or wrong when finished with an interrogation question. Maybe i should have done each case with a little more love, and attention to details. Took things slower. Quitting and repeating some of the interrogation parts just to get them right didnt leave a good taste in my mouth looking back. But i tend to be one of those players who wants to do everything right on the first try. Right now i feel like i missed out on a great experience because i let interrogation questions get in the way. I didnt go through the story without quitting out, and replaying several parts. That kind of ruins the whole experience. So if you havent played this game yet, take these words of wisdom.[/QUOTE]
Grats on the 100%, and I second this. I'm a 100%, completionist who likes to do and see everything correctly the first time, since I don't always get around to a second playthrough (or lose the steam for it.) Playing this game as I normally would probably didn't help me enjoy it. Heavy Rain's the only game I didn't replay until after I did it the first time, and it was hard not to.

Also, I'm replaying the Traffic cases to 5 star them, and was confused who the hell Anna Rodriquez is, since they talk about her at the start of "Marriage Made in Heaven." Turns out she's from the PS3 exclusive DLC, which might explain why I, a 360 player, didn't understand wtf was going on.

Hmmm i went through the soundtrack samples over at amazon and couldnt find the song i like most. (same thing happened to me in GOW3, the song i liked most wasnt on the soundtrack) It plays when you first drive to a crime scene i believe. You can hear it here, starting at 2:20. Anyone have an idea what that song is called?

PS the clip is from The Red Lipstick Murder, in case you dont want to see any spoilers.

I guess the time stamp url code doesnt work well with auto embedding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at6H_DrPUh0#t=2m20s

I got goosebumps when I found the newspaper towards the end where
Cole is telling Roy Earle off. The emotional intensity in that scene is possibly better than any other game scene I've seen.

How do you replay cases?

----

Also, any tips for getting the achievement that requires $47K damage...there's nothing that I can see that keeps track of the damage you've caused.

Also there's one for going 80mph for a set amount of seconds, and again there's nothing that tells you how fast you're going.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']How do you replay cases?

----

Also, any tips for getting the achievement that requires $47K damage...there's nothing that I can see that keeps track of the damage you've caused.

Also there's one for going 80mph for a set amount of seconds, and again there's nothing that tells you how fast you're going.[/QUOTE]

To replay a case back out to the menu (the guy walking in the shadows of an alleyway) and press up or down to change resume to cases. Maybe its not unlocked until you beat the game? IDK.

Just start a case and get in cars and smash them into other cars. I seen a video on youtube, search for the achievement. I think they said about 15 cars smashed into other cars and it should work.

I got the speed one pretty easy. If anything get one of the hidden cars, they are usually fast. Then just drive on a long straight road as fast as you can.

[quote name='62t']So far my only complain is that there is no smoking. In the 40s they should be smoking like crazy[/QUOTE]

Ive seen guys walking down the street smoking. But yeah not as much as you would think.

[quote name='Indignate']
This is kind of ambiguous. There was evidence that pointed to both of them but I personally didn't think that it was either one, but since I had to choose one, pinning the pedophile seemed like the lesser evil.
[/QUOTE]

Turns out neither of them did it, though.

There was very little evidence the
pedophile did it. You may not like him, but his MO is little children.

[quote name='Spokker']Turns out neither of them did it, though.

There was very little evidence the
pedophile did it. You may not like him, but his MO is little children.
[/QUOTE]

I just replayed that case.
There was SOME evidence he could have done it. He had the pin, but explained at the end how he got it. Guess it depends if you believed him or not. Also he said he worked for some company that had the initials HM and gave out green? shirts, which was like the one found in the trunk. He also hung around the school, puts him at the crime scene. Janitor said he was a violent man. Not sure if the rope favored him or not though. But yeah, the first time i convicted the husband cos it was overwhelming evidence IMO. But i guess the boss wanted the pedo locked up, and thats what you should have done.

Something similar happens later in the game. No matter who you charge, they didn't do it.

It was fun the first time, but the second time I wasn't impressed anymore.

I just got through the Vice desk and, honestly, that was my favorite part of the game thus far. I see people raving about Homicide desk, but I really just found those cases to be tedious, since they were all effectively the same.

Some spoiler thoughts about Homicide:
I wanted some unconnected murders. Finding victim after victim after victim of the same guy just got boring to me after a while. I also wasn't a fan of the fact that it was fairly obvious early on that I was charging the wrong people case after case. My biggest gripe with the set-up of that section came in the second or third case, when the one bartender said something along the lines of 'Yeah, it was me who served her, or the temporary bartender.', with no follow-up. Given Cole's hesitation with the cases, it was way too off-the-wall for him to not have picked up on that, given that you end up questioning anyone else ever mentioned by anyone in the game. Just poorly written.

[quote name='007']Some spoiler thoughts about Homicide:
I wanted some unconnected murders. Finding victim after victim after victim of the same guy just got boring to me after a while. I also wasn't a fan of the fact that it was fairly obvious early on that I was charging the wrong people case after case. My biggest gripe with the set-up of that section came in the second or third case, when the one bartender said something along the lines of 'Yeah, it was me who served her, or the temporary bartender.', with no follow-up. Given Cole's hesitation with the cases, it was way too off-the-wall for him to not have picked up on that, given that you end up questioning anyone else ever mentioned by anyone in the game. Just poorly written.
[/QUOTE]
As soon as I heard that, and given how all the victims
were drinkers and attended bars regularly
I knew instantly who it was, and I was annoyed I couldn't do anything about it.

[quote name='JustYourAverageJoe']As soon as I heard that, and given how all the victims
were drinkers and attended bars regularly
I knew instantly who it was, and I was annoyed I couldn't do anything about it.[/QUOTE]

Ditto all of that. Kind of blows that the game is set up in such a way that you can 5 star all the cases and still be a crappy detective.

I just finished the last case. I liked the gameplay most of the time, but hated the story and many of the design choices. It seemed like a fourth of the cases end before you get to "solve" them, and then half the time you are forced to
charge innocent people.

[quote name='Bretts31344']I just finished the last case. I liked the gameplay most of the time, but hated the story and many of the design choices. It seemed like a fourth of the cases end before you get to "solve" them, and then half the time you are forced to
charge innocent people.
[/QUOTE]

I pretty much agree with this.

I love the game itself and they deserve much kudos to expanding the gaming genre and trying new tech as well as new ways to tell a story. The problem is the story they are telling kinda...well sucks. All of the foot chases are pointless as you can see they are not dynamic and basically just on a rail....which while we are talking about it let me call fucking bullshit. Maybe because I come from a large family of law enforcement workers but even in the 40s it was vastly illegal to even run from a cop...let alone slug it out with one then run. Then when you catch them you bring them back to the same place they escape from and simply question them? URGH????

The case are too set in stone it seems like. Unless you are a cheesemint junkie there is no real reason to get any of the questions right or find clues at all.
Whats the point when its pretty much a given you will charge the wrong person....and the game appears to tell you this the right answer.
Its seems like it pretty much standard that if a game works on a certain advance tech or tries a vastly new idea that some other things will be clunky as hell.

EDIT: One more thing...I am really annoyed with how they portray cops in general (again biased) but for fucks sake you the one who is so short sighted I am surprised he can see far enough to dress himself in the morning. Its the husband...its the husband, its the boyfriend. The complete insensitive barge into house with a little girl
and tell her that her mom his dead without her parents being there??? What the fuck? Not even in the 40s did people do this. Especially a white person to another white person.
The fact that people routinely just shoot guns in public.

Most of this came be chalked up to, "hey its a video game," but man did that pull me out of the story.

I'm no historian, but the 40s in LA were not exactly sunshine and smiles. The LAPD were very corrupt for much of the early part of the 20th century. The game plays up a lot of stuff for entertainment purposes (the shootouts, as you said, are over the top.) But I think your self-admitted bias is coloring your view of them.

Edit: 1 car away from 100%, arg. I'm missing the Buick Ambulance (the one you see in the very beginning of "The Fallen Idol," it's not the normal white ambulance but the smaller one). Found the other two I was missing minutes after posting, wut?

bread's done
Back