Last chance to preorder! Valkyria Chronicles Remastered (PS4)

omegafox84

CAGiversary!
Just thought I would post this in case some people weren't aware of it. This comes out tomorrow (5/17) and is only $30 before Prime or GCU discounts. If you preorder, you get a beautiful Squad 7 Armored case. However, this bonus could end up being pretty limited as the Best Buy product page no longer mentions this as a preorder bonus. I had preordered through Best Buy and already received mine. I've never played this before but I'm loving it so far! Definitely a great deal!

Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Valkyria-Chronicles-Remastered-PlayStation-4/dp/B01B61X1UC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1463413101&sr=8-1&keywords=valkyria+chronicles+remastered

Best Buy:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/valkyria-chronicles-remastered-playstation-4/4991702.p?id=bb4991702&skuId=4991702

This may be the overreaction of the decade. You ordered a game with a metal case, one that would most assuredly be shipped in a bubble mailer, and not only are you complaining about a borderline certainty, you're attempting to convince others to not pick up the game because of your bad experience? Meh.
Overreaction?

Yea, I expect my new item to be damaged. Amazon should know about all the complaints they get due to them shipping in a bubble mailer..they should learn.

The case really isnt that nice, but it is cool to get it for free for just getting the game. Most people that were thinking "hey should i order this now or wait a while just because of the steel case." It's not that great, but it should come perfect, not damaged.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why return the amazon one just curious
I'll return the Amazon one to Best Buy. I wont be home till Friday or Saturday, so I likely wont be able to get it from the UPS store till Monday.

Everything after 7pm next Monday is gonna be devoted to Overwatch. So i want some play time on this weekend.

Got my copy in the mail from Best Buy and the metal case looks nice, but is definitely much cheaper than steelbook case. Luckily my copy made it to my hand unscathed too I was getting worried reading some of these comments before I got home from work today!

I like the steel book, but wish it came with a manual or map or something besides just the disc. I miss the old days of manuals with character bios and other lore.

You're fine Ged; right now they all have the steelbook/metal case.
Can we seriously clear this up???

These are not steelbook editions. They are metal packs... Very different build and quality. I've always found metal packs to be more fragile and poor design. That hinge spine makes me cringe because I feel like it will snap.

I like the steel book, but wish it came with a manual or map or something besides just the disc. I miss the old days of manuals with character bios and other lore.
Good news is you can pick up a PS3 copy that has a manual. hey it's an extra expense but the option is there.

Yea, I expect my new item to be damaged. Amazon should know about all the complaints they get due to them shipping in a bubble mailer..they should learn.
They should, but they don't care. The sad truth is logistically it is cheaper to continue pissing people off versus the people that just don't complain and are fine with bubble mailers. If everyone that was ever sent a damaged product in a bubble mailer complained and stopped shopping at Amazon, they would "learn". But it's easier for them to just process a few returns/exchanges and kick a few bucks here and there than pay up front for proper packaging when dealing with hundreds of thousands of shipments a day.

That said, if mine comes damaged at all they will be footing the bill.

Just found out that the game isn't really remastered a la Uncharted collection. This takes the Resident Evil 4 PS3 "HD Remake" (in big ass quotation marks) approach - pretty much they put the mediocre upscaled PC version's .iso file on a disc, paid a licensing fee to Sony, and upmarked it significantly. This same exact version minus trivial trophies is $20 msrp on PC and on sale for $5 on a seemingly monthly basis.

Sore disappointment. This is not the treatment this masterpiece of a game deserves.

Just found out that the game isn't really remastered a la Uncharted collection. This takes the Resident Evil 4 PS3 "HD Remake" (in big ass quotation marks) approach - pretty much they put the mediocre upscaled PC version's .iso file on a disc, paid a licensing fee to Sony, and upmarked it significantly. This same exact version minus trivial trophies is $20 msrp on PC and on sale for $5 on a seemingly monthly basis.

Sore disappointment. This is not the treatment this masterpiece of a game deserves.
$30 for a physical ps4 port is reasonable. Besides the Pc version had a lot the ps3 didn't,If anything.

Sounds like, if you own it for PC don't get it for ps4 unless you want it physical. (It also take s a lot more work than smacking an iso on a disc to go from pc to ps4 ;) )

$30 for a physical ps4 port is reasonable. Besides the Pc version had a lot the ps3 didn't,If anything.

Sounds like, if you own it for PC don't get it for ps4 unless you want it physical. (It also take s a lot more work than smacking an iso on a disc to go from pc to ps4 ;) )
Of course it's more complicated than burning an iso to a disc - obviously lol. But the practice has become so routine that no one can reasonably expect a lot of effort is needed from the standpoint of professional programmers.

Sure the PC version has features ps3 version doesn't, but I'm more concerned with how the ps4 doesn't improve on the pc version whatsoever, which was minimal at best to begin with. And then they increase the price by 33%. There's really no praise to give this release, is all. My only point is that they took the most minimal amount of effort to make this happen, and it shows disrespect for the source material.

Didn't they do a fair amount of improvements already with the PC version to make it work nicely with HD resolutions at least?
"Work nicely with HD resolutions"...huh

They merely upscaled it from 720 to 1080, but that only means that by keeping the low res textures, 1080 only amplifies the jaggies. It's exactly what made RE4 "HD" on ps3 look worse than the original.

So if anything, they made it LESS friendly with high resolutions. If you're going raise resolution, you need to increase quality of textures.

It may not be the remaster that we deserve, but it is one that came after they essentially killed off the series in the west. If they are using this a proof of concept to start making more games in the series, I am not going to complain about the already low price point at $24.

"Work nicely with HD resolutions"...huh

They merely upscaled it from 720 to 1080, but that only means that by keeping the low res textures, 1080 only amplifies the jaggies. It's exactly what made RE4 "HD" on ps3 look worse than the original.

So if anything, they made it LESS friendly with high resolutions. If you're going raise resolution, you need to increase quality of textures.
oh god then just don't buy it. It's fucking $25. And many of us are happy.

I guess it's a matter of whether it's running AA or anything else you would see in the PC version. Really it's all moot to me since I just bought it for the case and because it was only $20.

These are not steelbook editions. They are metal packs... Very different build and quality. I've always found metal packs to be more fragile and poor design. That hinge spine makes me cringe because I feel like it will snap.
I love the steelbook, great art and arrived perfect in a bubble mailer.

oh god then just don't buy it. It's fucking $25. And many of us are happy.
seriously this

theres been way worse remasters for full price 60 dollars.

30 dollars(really who paid over 26 including tax anyway???) for a graphical touch up "remaster" with all the DLC isnt a bad deal at all. especially if it gets this series some love for any future entries.

It's fucking $25. And many of us are happy.
This is CHEAPASS gamer. If you're upset that people are cheap here or have standards too high for you, then I think you're visiting the wrong website. No need to lash out in vulgarity. Yikes. It's as if I've offended you personally in some way.

Oh, and the people who are "happy" don't magically make my dissenting opinion moot. People these days think "well, you're wrong because other people disagree" is actually a logical rebuttal.

30 dollars(really who paid over 26 including tax anyway???) for a graphical touch up "remaster" with all the DLC isnt a bad deal at all.
That's where you're wrong. Play Uncharted HD collection and then play this. Then you'll see what the difference between a true remaster and a half-assed upscaling job. There is literally zero "touching up" of VC's original graphics. Im not making this up - the Kotaku editor heading this game brought it up.

I remember when my brand new component cable DVD player promised upscaled "improved" picture for all my old DVDs, implying it would magically make it appear as a bluray movie...and then feeling like a dope. This is no different.

I guess it's a matter of whether it's running AA or anything else you would see in the PC version. Really it's all moot to me since I just bought it for the case and because it was only $20.
Same here. I got the case just because...it looks cool. No, really. It does look nice. I got the PC version when it was on sale for $10 or something. Now I can play it at 120fps. Hhahahahaha - *passes out from motion sickness*

Hilarious seeing people bitching over a re-release of one of last gens best JRPGs for only 25-30$ that comes with a free steelbook and all the DLC ontop of that

It was in reference to the e-peen comment earlier. I paid the GCU price and I'll trade it to GS before the week is out (I don't have a PS4 and I just wanted the case).

He was attempting to be clever.
There was no attempt, only success.

Some people just love to bitch.
His opinion is valid, yet shouldn't affect anyone else's opinion of the game or this release. However, this is the internet and anyone with a butt gets it hurt when not everyone shares the same opinion.

EDIT - For example I bought into the hype of FF Type 0 HD, and I thought it was a waste of $80 (the SB case was nice though) because the remaster was a joke. I'm sure someone out there enjoyed it, but me complaining about it shouldn't affect their enjoyment. Everyone should move along.

I love the steelbook, great art and arrived perfect in a bubble mailer.
Ok. People are just trying to push your buttons now. Lol

Those unable to make rational rebuttals resort to personal attacks irrelevant to the central point at hand. Disagree? Great - ignore it or directly reply to it. Don't get all personal and salty. Nothing of what you said invalidates my original opinion of this product. Nothing you said even applies to it.

You like to point out how I enjoy complaining, yet you yourself are complaining about someone else's complaints. That's far worse. Please tell me you see the blatant hypocrisy.

That's where you're wrong. Play Uncharted HD collection and then play this. Then you'll see what the difference between a true remaster and a half-assed upscaling job. There is literally zero "touching up" of VC's original graphics. Im not making this up - the Kotaku editor heading this game brought it up.

I remember when my brand new component cable DVD player promised upscaled "improved" picture for all my old DVDs, implying it would magically make it appear as a bluray movie...and then feeling like a dope. This is no different.
It's at 1080p, whereas the original wasn't. It also has all DLC, trophy support, and runs at 60fps (this alone is well worth the price of admission). All this for $30 or $24 (if you are smart enough to have GCU). It is incomprehensible that someone could complain about this. Just stop it. Bad forum dweller.

Sent from my Moto X Pure using Tapatalk.

I ordered mine with no rush for that $1 credit so probably won't be here until next week. I saw unboxings of it though and it's a pretty nice looking steelbook. I never played the original either so that's another plus, I can't wait.

Apparently my copy arrived in minty condition from Amazon, it was a regular bubble padded envelope packaging. I was a bit worried since some of those PS4 games arrived with a loose disc in the past from Amazon 

Apparently my copy arrived in minty condition from Amazon, it was a regular bubble padded envelope packaging. I was a bit worried since some of those PS4 games arrived with a loose disc in the past from Amazon
very unlikely this would come loose in case...seeing as how the disc holder is not a POS like the usual cases and it's a metal book so there wont be pressure applied to the case, which is why they come loose on normal cases.

You don't have to worry about a loose disc because steelbooks hold them in tight and snug.

Amazingly I think mine survived, probably because it was on to of the soap and not next to it. I had no intention of opening it but I'm also scurred of hidden damage since it has that nice sleeve.

Might have to save this game for weekends only....wasted 30min on a mission jsut to die and have to redo the whole thing.  Yuck; gotta learn to save scum.

Bleh, just noticed mine has a tiny dent. Not worth worrying about since I got the double discount on it anyway.

Either way games still addictive (And rage inducing) as ever. Can't wait to get to the desert section of rage/sadness/heartache. I think this is one of the few games that has made me rage harder than Fire Emblem and Dark Souls.

forum dweller.
Because I made a couple opinions you disagree with? Any other post is merely in response to someone else. "Incomprensible"? Then try thinking from a different angle. Glad at least some people acknowledge the validity of my sentiments. Disagreeing is one thing but to be so dismissive, reductive, and passive aggressive is another. Your comment amounts to "STFU, you're wrong." How considerate and thoughtful.

bread's done
Back