Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess free (or discounted!) at EBGames with trade-ins

masterh

CAGiversary!
Feedback
35 (100%)
For those of you who aren't reading every page of the Nintendogs trade-in topic, EBGames has started a new deal today - trade in any 5 PS2, XBOX, and GC titles (POX excluded) and get Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess preordered for free.

UPDATED: According to the EBGames clerk, this deal will not expire until Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess is released.
IN ADDITION, the clerk told me that you don't have to have 5 games to get the discount - basically, ANY non-POX title you trade in will get you $10 off the game. So if you only have two non-POX titles, you get $20 off.

[quote name='schultzed']I buy some games new at release but now I mostly wait . . . so, when Doom 3, Psychonauts, RE4. God of War hit $20, then I will buy them.[/QUOTE]
I don't want to turn this into a "Resident Evil 4 is amazing!" thread, but honestly, everybody that enjoys videogames should own that game. If you have the money now, I wouldn't deny yourself the experience any longer. EB has it new for $40 and used for $35, and with those discounts you mentioned, you could get a used copy shipped for around $26. It is so completely worth it.

[quote name='aaa']Schultzed, just some advice on games:

Battlefront and MechAssault 2 are pretty dissapointing. I guess at that price they are decent purchases, but I wouldn't even bother with them. If you don't have xbox live, then the games are bad. RE4 is the best this gen IMO. You should pick that up before Mechassault 2 and battlefront, even though it is twice the price. Phsychonauts is fantastic, and Doom 3 is only good if you like old school FPS.[/QUOTE]

aaa - Got to disagree with you here. I love SW Battlefront and, in fact, have been playing it a few hours every night for the last 3 weeks or so. I have never been a fan of FPS and had never played online before. But I think SW Battlefront is tons of fun in multiplayer. The single player isn't too bad, but it does get boring after a while that way. But I've already told schultzed all this in PM :D.

And as for RE4, I'm a big Nintendo fanboy but I have NO interest in this game. Wouldn't even play it if I got it for free. But that's just me :D.

OH, and I waited on Burnout 3 and got it NEW at Best Buy for $11 a few weeks ago :D. (2 for $22 GH games for Reward Zone members).

But back to EB deals - I think I am going to try the NASCAR one, then scrape together 5 more games for a Zelda preorder. I want to have a Zelda preorder at EB because they tend to be better about preorder bonuses than Gamerush is. I have a Zelda on preorder at GR already and will just trade it back in if I end up with 2 and no one I know wants one of them... (my GR will not let me cancel preorders unless I have a good excuse and they will only give back the $30 I paid with the preorder deal).

I am not sure if this has been mentioned earlier, but is Metal Arms the only $5 BB game that has recently gone POX, meaning are Bad Boys, MAT,and MTV deathmatch still PO?

Not sure if this was b/c the cashier guy is a dumbass or if it was real. I just Traded in Bad Boys $5 (BestB), Starsky & Hutch $5(BestB), Kya dark lineage $7 (BlockB), Tomb Raider $7 (BlockB), and Max Payne 2 B2G1(BlockB). Traded those in for the Zelda deal and bought Metriod Prime With insurance thing for only $1. Was this a mistake or did I get the zelda thing AND the trade-in value of the games as well?

I did another 4 for $50 Nascar deal today . . .
Robotech Invasion ($5 ac at CC)
MAT1 ($5 ac at BB)
MAT2 (1 penny at TRU)
Starsky and Hutch (xbox $8 used at FYE) but I have tons of credit at FYE from rediculous trade values . . . like $26.50 for Steel Battalion Line of Contact which cost $8 from EB.com

So, really $10 got $50 . . . one of these Nascar 06 will be shifted to Zelda (the other $50 I'll likely use to buy stuff online)

[quote name='pop311']How do you get a one cent game at TRU?[/QUOTE]

Last time there were penny guides (two weeks ago) my store put them all in a shopping cart to dump them . . . in the cart were also some demo discs and I noticed 3 copies of Midway Arcade Treasures 2 (two PS2 and one Xbox) . . . the clerk was being really loose and cool. I asked him to scan it and they came up a penny. I insisted that he take one (he only had a GC but said his nephews might like it). So, I got 2 for .02 :)

I knew they were PO because I had gotten a few at CC for a penny.

getting $50.00 credit for .04 purchase is pretty sweet.

Keep an eye out for MAT2 with a little "promo" text on the front . . . they could be a penny.

[quote name='schultzed']Last time there were penny guides (two weeks ago) my store put them all in a shopping cart to dump them . . . in the cart were also some demo discs and I noticed 3 copies of Midway Arcade Treasures 2 (two PS2 and one Xbox) . . . the clerk was being really loose and cool. I asked him to scan it and they came up a penny. I insisted that he take one (he only had a GC but said his nephews might like it). So, I got 2 for .02 :)

I knew they were PO because I had gotten a few at CC for a penny.

getting $50.00 credit for .04 purchase is pretty sweet.

Keep an eye out for MAT2 with a little "promo" text on the front . . . they could be a penny.[/QUOTE]
So if I go to my Local TRU, will there be a bin or whatnot where the Penny games are located? Hell, I'd spend $30 on penny games and get tons of credit to EB :D

[quote name='Apossum']Nice! there's a few that can be used that sell for $5 at Best Buy.[/QUOTE]
What?

PM sent

I played it safe and traded in 5 games for the Zelda pre-order. Here's what I traded in:

Prince of Persia: Warrior Within (GC version; $8 from CC)
Terminator 3 ($5 from BB)
Beyond Good & Evil ($5 from BB)
Starsky & Hutch ($5 from BB)
Bad Boys ($5 from BB)

Now, some of you might be asking: "Why PoP: WW? You could have gotten something cheaper." It's a long story. It involved buying the GC version, which I paid in full ($29.99), knowing it will drop in price, then got it price-matched at a CC branch that did 10% of the difference as well (which is definitely YMMV), and an Xbox version for $13 from Micro Center. I just had to see it for myself which is the better version graphics-wise, since I'm getting mixed feedbacks as to which version is better. As you can see from the version I traded, you could see which one I favored. Glitches be damned. So, yes, that PoP:WW game did more to me than just being trade-in fodder.

I know some of you would have kept the BG&E version. I already have the Xbox version.

Thanks to OP for the info.

[quote name='Sulmona']I am not sure if this has been mentioned earlier, but is Metal Arms the only $5 BB game that has recently gone POX, meaning are Bad Boys, MAT,and MTV deathmatch still PO?[/QUOTE]

I used Bad Boys today (Aug. 13) along with PS2 Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter, PS2 Crazy Taxi, and GC SW Rogue Leader (regular combined trade value of $10 - with half being Bad Boys). I asked about NBA Live 2004, which was PO last week and Blockbuster has tons of - it is now, apparently, POX. Though there was some confusion with the clerks over whether it was the PS1 or PS2 version they were looking at (is there a PS1? I know Madden and MLB keep getting published for PS1 - saw the 2005 versions of those for PS1 today).

Got a NASCAR 2006 preorder. We'll see how the whole switching thing works out. I was able to cancel one of my Nintedogs preorders, but I used the excuse that I just found out you could unlock all the dogs in each version :D. I used the credit to buy Lego Star Wars for GBA - I'm tired of waiting for Gamerush to get it in. They had Riviera there too, and I was tempted, but my son was with me so I got him Lego Star Wars... (side note - Riviera shows as not available in store from the web site but they had them there).

So, it seems we need a new POX list as we've had at least one game move OFF the list (PS2 Turok) and one game probably move on the list (PS2 NBA Live 2004, which had no business not being on there in the first place!). There were probably other changes. I posted a request or a new list in the EB POX thread.

On a side note - it was very difficult to watch this kid before me trade in 6 or 7 GC and Xbox games and get all of $5.50 trade credit for them. I stole a quick glance at his receipt and saw one fetched 25 cents. Hell, I'd keep it just for the case. Looked like most were POX though so he couldn't have done one of the deals (though if he had known about them maybe he could have combined the one or two that were PO with other games he had at home and gotten himself Madden!).

[quote name='Ozzkev55']So what future releases, allow this trade 5 games deal...save Nascar 2006, and LoZ:TP?[/QUOTE]

None that we know of. The NCAA and Madden deals had been extended through Sunday (the 14th), but other than that and the ones you mentioned there's nothing (save the wacky Nintendogs one).

We need an EB employee with advance notice to let us know. That's how we found out about the others. I hope there are some more soon!

so did anyone have luck tradinging 4 games for Nascar to get 50 and canceled it to pre-order zelda instead? if so I'm on it!

[quote name='CaoPi']so did anyone have luck tradinging 4 games for Nascar to get 50 and canceled it to pre-order zelda instead? if so I'm on it![/QUOTE]

I haven't shifted my credit on Nascar (yet) . . . but I did do Madden, NCAA Foot, and Geist in the last 6 weeks.

Has anyone ever been turned down switching preorder credit? Anyone? Anyone? I know people ran into trouble returning games that they got on a deal the clerks would only give the preadjusted tradein prices (the PSP one where it wasn't a preorder).

I've done it quite a few times over the last year and never has an employee even raised an eyebrow.

If you're intimidated by this . . . just wait until after release and claim that you got it as a gift and don't need the game . . . "can I please shift the credit to another game."

If you are stuck with it, just dump it on ebay . . . its got to sell for at least $40 right after release.

Hey guys, bad news.

I went to my EB and I was up-front with the cashier. I asked him if I could transfer the credit on NASCAR to another game. He said that it used to work, but they recently changed their computer system to not allow it. Now when you transfer it to another game, the credit is reduced to the regular value of the trade-ins, not increased to $50. Not sure if this happens at all EBs, but do you really want to risk it?

[quote name='The Cheapest Ass Gamer']Hey guys, bad news.

I went to my EB and I was up-front with the cashier. I asked him if I could transfer the credit on NASCAR to another game. He said that it used to work, but they recently changed their computer system to not allow it. Now when you transfer it to another game, the credit is reduced to the regular value of the trade-ins, not increased to $50. Not sure if this happens at all EBs, but do you really want to risk it?[/QUOTE]
I just talked to an employee at my local EB over the phone and not only did he say it worked, he was willing to do the transfer over the phone

[quote name='Ozzkev55']I just talked to an employee at my local EB over the phone and not only did he say it worked, he was willing to do the transfer over the phone[/QUOTE]Ah, good. Then either it's only in my district or the guy was full of shit.

[quote name='The Cheapest Ass Gamer']Hey guys, bad news.

I went to my EB and I was up-front with the cashier. I asked him if I could transfer the credit on NASCAR to another game. He said that it used to work, but they recently changed their computer system to not allow it. Now when you transfer it to another game, the credit is reduced to the regular value of the trade-ins, not increased to $50. Not sure if this happens at all EBs, but do you really want to risk it?

Ah, good. Then either it's only in my district or the guy was full of shit.[/QUOTE]

It could be either . . . I've never heard of this but I've heard of a lot of clerks making up stuff.

In general, I avoid asking these kinds of questions but rather just go ahead and do things. I think the clerk was blowing smoke.

As far as I can see, once the preorder reservation is in the system it is detattached from the source of payment (other than "giftcard" or "credit"). Here is an autopsy of my Madden tradein deal and return:

On 6/28 I traded in 4 games for a preown total of $40 and paid $9.99 off my Edge card (you got $10 per game up to 5) . . . the receipt shows under the list of games I traded in with their original values and the bump up to 10.00
"Presell Order Deposit: 1234 (number changed) $49.99
2451177 Madden 2006 XB . . ."
Below it has
"PRESELL ORDER INFO Customer #5678 (#changed)
Customer name and phone number.

On the receipt where I cancelled Madden:
7/5/05 (I waited a week :)

"Order Cancel: 1234
2451177 Madden 2006 XB
Subtotal 0.00
Total 0.00
Deposit Cancel: 1234 49.99
Refund: EB Edge xxxxxxxxxxx 49.99 (my edge number)

Prev Balance: 27.67
Refund Amount: 49.99
New Balance: 11.66
CHANGE 0.00"

Now maybe your store has a different system, but it seems that mine turns the preorder into a a 4 digit order number that it keeps track of but does not record how the game was paid off. They may keep a copy of my original receipt on file but I don't know how they would retrieve it after a week or two or more.

Perhaps what the clerk is talking about is that you cannot return a game that you got in a trade deal. Some stores (including ones near me but not mine (fingers crossed)) stopped people from returning PSP games gotten in the spring during a tradein. That deal gave you $40 for 3 games and there were games that EB sold that were PO. Apparently this got heavily exploited . . . esp. by some EB employees. Buy 3 PO games at EB for about $20 trade them in for a $40 PSP game . . . return said game and buy the same 3 PO games for $20. You can see where that goes . . . I'm not in favor of doing a deal like that because it will crash the whole deal for everyone.

I specialize in bringing games into EB that they can sell . . . I just try to get as much credit for them as possible. Then I spend the credit on EB goods which increases their volume.

[quote name='SilverPaw750']So if I go to my Local TRU, will there be a bin or whatnot where the Penny games are located? Hell, I'd spend $30 on penny games and get tons of credit to EB :D[/QUOTE]
?

[quote name='SilverPaw750']So if I go to my Local TRU, will there be a bin or whatnot where the Penny games are located? Hell, I'd spend $30 on penny games and get tons of credit to EB :D[/QUOTE]

I thought the question was in jest. I doubt you will find a bin . . . I happened to arrive 2 hours after opening on the day they pennied the guides. They were gathering the stuff up in a shopping cart to toss it . . . I nabbed 2 (out of 3) from the cart and a friendly cashier (who didn't call over the manager) sold them to me.

But if happen to go to TRU or CC and see Midway Arcade Treasures 2 with a "Promo" note on the front . . . price check it. They were given free if you bought Area 51 . . . now they are leftovers.

how bout pre-ordering the deal at another EB games and taking it to another EB games to transfer the pre-order deal to another game anyone have trouble doing this before?

[quote name='CaoPi']how bout pre-ordering the deal at another EB games and taking it to another EB games to transfer the pre-order deal to another game anyone have trouble doing this before?[/QUOTE]

I don't think that works . . . the preorder can only be accessed at the store you made it at . . . as far as I know.

no flamming please- How does walmart's no receipt return policy work? How many of the same game can be turn in at once, and how many games total can be turn in at once?

[quote name='io']On a side note - it was very difficult to watch this kid before me trade in 6 or 7 GC and Xbox games and get all of $5.50 trade credit for them. I stole a quick glance at his receipt and saw one fetched 25 cents. Hell, I'd keep it just for the case. Looked like most were POX though so he couldn't have done one of the deals (though if he had known about them maybe he could have combined the one or two that were PO with other games he had at home and gotten himself Madden!).[/QUOTE]

I agree..I hate seeing this shit as well.

[quote name='TheRaven']I agree..I hate seeing this shit as well.[/QUOTE]
It bothers me, but sometimes there are games that just aren't worth keeping. As in I'd pay to get them the hell away from me. See: Blinx - I sold it in like a day.

I did the Zelda deal and they took 2 of my games that were POX....Dino Crisis 3 & Armed and Dangerous. Go figure. I can provide a scan if needed.

[quote name='vilhaim']I did the Zelda deal and they took 2 of my games that were POX....Dino Crisis 3 & Armed and Dangerous. Go figure. I can provide a scan if needed.[/QUOTE]
Just to get things straight.. does this scan make it so POX games scan and are accepted. If true, please provide the scan. Also. What is a FYE. is it a store?

[quote name='pop311']Just to get things straight.. does this scan make it so POX games scan and are accepted. If true, please provide the scan. Also. What is a FYE. is it a store?[/QUOTE]

fye.com

for your entertainment

They sell everything at MSRP. Think Suncoast & Sam Goody.

[quote name='Friedle']fye.com

for your entertainment

They sell everything at MSRP. Think Suncoast & Sam Goody.[/QUOTE]

though they're famous for giving you a crap load of rebates, which makes for a lot of great deals if you're into doing rebates

[quote name='Ozzkev55']Im going to best buy tomorrow to do the whole 5 game thing...but I dont know about the nascar thing[/QUOTE]

try TRU if you have one nearby...i picked up ribbit king, spy hunter and rocky all without any hassle...i already had batman rise of sin tzu and now i just have to either do the nascar thing or buy one more game

[quote name='The Successful Dropout']try TRU if you have one nearby...i picked up ribbit king, spy hunter and rocky all without any hassle...i already had batman rise of sin tzu and now i just have to either do the nascar thing or buy one more game[/QUOTE]
How much was ribbit king, spy hunter, and rocky?

[quote name='Ozzkev55']How much was ribbit king, spy hunter, and rocky?[/QUOTE]

They should all be $5 - the green tag sale at TRU has just added (as of today) several "new" new games that can be bought for $5 that qualify for EB trade-ins to those we can already get at Best Buy. Adds some variety :D. Now EB needs to come up with some other new trade-in deals!

[quote name='io']They should all be $5 - the green tag sale at TRU has just added (as of today) several "new" new games that can be bought for $5 that qualify for EB trade-ins to those we can already get at Best Buy. Adds some variety :D. Now EB needs to come up with some other new trade-in deals![/QUOTE]
Might you have a list of the Non-POX $5 games at TRU...Ill check it out tomorrow and this would make it a lot easier, thanks

[quote name='Ozzkev55']Might you have a list of the Non-POX $5 games at TRU...Ill check it out tomorrow and this would make it a lot easier, thanks[/QUOTE]

I just brought the POX lists in with me and picked up a few things. But I was mostly looking for things to trade in to Gamerush, not EB. Others were looking specifically for EB trades. I don't think there's too much beyond the 3 TSD mentioned - just bring the full POX list with you. Or you could go to the TRU thread and compare that to the POX list in advance and make your own list - then please post it here :D.

[quote name='Ozzkev55']Might you have a list of the Non-POX $5 games at TRU...Ill check it out tomorrow and this would make it a lot easier, thanks[/QUOTE]
I can tell you right now that...
Batman Vengence-GC
Spyhunter-GC
Trivial pirsuit-PS2
work...
just look at the list on the fron page and compare them to the POX list

[quote name='schultzed']I haven't shifted my credit on Nascar (yet) . . . but I did do Madden, NCAA Foot, and Geist in the last 6 weeks.

Has anyone ever been turned down switching preorder credit? Anyone? Anyone? I know people ran into trouble returning games that they got on a deal the clerks would only give the preadjusted tradein prices (the PSP one where it wasn't a preorder).

I've done it quite a few times over the last year and never has an employee even raised an eyebrow.

If you're intimidated by this . . . just wait until after release and claim that you got it as a gift and don't need the game . . . "can I please shift the credit to another game."

If you are stuck with it, just dump it on ebay . . . its got to sell for at least $40 right after release.[/QUOTE]

i traded in rocky gc, spyhunter gc, ribbit king ps2 & batman rost ps2 today and preordered nascar 6 for ps2...i plan on going back tomorrow and asking them to switch pre-orders...before i preordered nascar, i called and asked if i could switch preorders on a game and they said, "sure, just come on in"....anyways, im going to tell them that i didn't realize zelda came out so soon and thats why i want to switch....the problem is that my receipt for the credit shows that i traded in four games for $12.50 each for the nascar deal....do i have to show them this receipt or can i just give them my name? no matter what i have to do, im going to do it...id rather cut my balls off and eat them before i preorder a nascar game

[quote name='The Successful Dropout']i traded in rocky gc, spyhunter gc, ribbit king ps2 & batman rost ps2 today and preordered nascar 6 for ps2...i plan on going back tomorrow and asking them to switch pre-orders...before i preordered nascar, i called and asked if i could switch preorders on a game and they said, "sure, just come on in"....anyways, im going to tell them that i didn't realize zelda came out so soon and thats why i want to switch....the problem is that my receipt for the credit shows that i traded in four games for $12.50 each for the nascar deal....do i have to show them this receipt or can i just give them my name? no matter what i have to do, im going to do it...id rather cut my balls off and eat them before i preorder a nascar game[/QUOTE]

They normally just ask for your phone number and ID.

[quote name='The Successful Dropout'] no matter what i have to do, im going to do it...id rather cut my balls off and eat them before i preorder a nascar game[/QUOTE]

LOL! :D I feel the same way - though if I absolutely got stuck with it I would just ebay it on release day and I might even get lucky and have some dufus pay pretty close to retail for it (and probably more with shipping).

When I cancelled my Nintendogs preorder they just looked it up by phone number, as I had the same issue with the receipt then as you do now. He did ask me how I had paid for it (I think they aren't used to seeing fully-paid for preorders). I actually told him it was a trade-in deal. He didn't care and gave me credit for it. But that might by YMMV - when I cancel my NASCAR one I'm not going to mention the deal at all.

Is EB doing any other pre-order deals like Zelda with other upcoming games (besides Nascar and Madden). I want to get another deal before they update the POX list.

[quote name='The Successful Dropout']i traded in rocky gc, spyhunter gc, ribbit king ps2 & batman rost ps2 today and preordered nascar 6 for ps2...i plan on going back tomorrow and asking them to switch pre-orders...before i preordered nascar, i called and asked if i could switch preorders on a game and they said, "sure, just come on in"....anyways, im going to tell them that i didn't realize zelda came out so soon and thats why i want to switch....the problem is that my receipt for the credit shows that i traded in four games for $12.50 each for the nascar deal....do i have to show them this receipt or can i just give them my name? no matter what i have to do, im going to do it...id rather cut my balls off and eat them before i preorder a nascar game[/QUOTE]

"Trust" me, this will work . . . I've preordered a few games that I would never own . . . have the receipt in your back pocket but you won't need it and you don't need to explain how you got the credit.

[quote name='schultzed']"Trust" me, this will work . . . I've preordered a few games that I would never own . . . have the receipt in your back pocket but you won't need it and you don't need to explain how you got the credit.[/QUOTE]

if this works and i get zelda for $22 and some change on release, i hope you know that in the straightest way possible...i owe you a kiss

Now that I'm already stuck with Max Payne 2 (which I think is still PO?), I might just have to go get three more $5 games and do the NASCAR/switch to Zelda thing. And change my GR preorder to something else.

Or... I could just switch it to Rainbow Six: Lockdown for GC, since they (at least online) have it up for preorder, unlike GR. No bonus though.

[quote name='sandrokstar']is there some sort of bonus to pre-ordering Zelda?

curse EGM and their propaganda![/QUOTE]

i dunno...i was wondering the same thing...i thought i heard that they were going to have some sort of LE, but i have no clue

bread's done
Back