Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess free (or discounted!) at EBGames with trade-ins

masterh

CAGiversary!
Feedback
35 (100%)
For those of you who aren't reading every page of the Nintendogs trade-in topic, EBGames has started a new deal today - trade in any 5 PS2, XBOX, and GC titles (POX excluded) and get Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess preordered for free.

UPDATED: According to the EBGames clerk, this deal will not expire until Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess is released.
IN ADDITION, the clerk told me that you don't have to have 5 games to get the discount - basically, ANY non-POX title you trade in will get you $10 off the game. So if you only have two non-POX titles, you get $20 off.

I traded in the following (using vietgurls POX list as my guidelines in what I brought) :
Turok PS2 - Free at TRU
Monster 4x4 PS2 (trades in for a suprisingly high $7) - $1.99 at CC
MX Superfly GC - " " " "
Frogger GC - " " " "
Medabots Infinity GC - $7.50 at TRU (bought it a couple weeks ago for my bro and he didnt like it)

Also did Nintendogs. Guy was really cool, he was super excited about Zelda and said everyone should do this deal. I asked him if a LE gets announced if I could more the Preorder over and he said sure. So no worries anymore about getting a LE or not. Right now I'm even considering getting another copy of Zelda just to keep sealed in my collection.

went in the store 2day and the bitch working there said they aint doing this deal so is it YMMV or is she just clueless? i'ma try again at a different EB 2morrow, and just to make sure, its $10 for every game not on the POX list right? so i can trade 4 and pay the rest off?

Yea you can trade in 4 then pay the rest. I doubt its YMMV, chick probably doesn't know. Just tell her its advertised or to double check. She'll find it in the computer either way.

Worked fine for my EB. They were more than happy about me going in there, and knew about the promotion. So far I traded in LOTR Return of the King, Starsky and Hutch, Outlaw Golf in a BB case, and Backyard Wrestling 2 for PS2, some of those were bought a couple years ago, and the cost of all of them was about $18. One more game and its mine!! =)

Also they said it wouldn't be a problem to switch to an LE if one was announced. I love my EBGames.

-Adam

I'm gonna call over to GR tomorrow, make sure they don't have any issue with my switching preorders, before I start buying some PO games to trade in for this. With any luck, GR will switch my preorder from Zelda to X-Men Legends 2, and then I can put some of the games I have that are actually worth something towards a Lockdown preorder.

[quote name='greyzieoriental']went in the store 2day and the ..... working there said they aint doing this deal so is it YMMV or is she just clueless? i'ma try again at a different EB 2morrow, and just to make sure, its $10 for every game not on the POX list right? so i can trade 4 and pay the rest off?[/QUOTE]

I did the Zelda deal on Friday morning, with no problems. The store associate knew about it, and the computer rang it up with no hiccups.

Now, I just need one more crappy GBA game or the coupon of mystery and Nintendogs is mine!

Hey so they aren't giving out any freebies with such a big release title? Maybe they haven't announced any yet, but I hope it's like the past Zelda games. I got a free T-shirt, poster, a pin, and special collector's bag for Ocarina of Time.

I don't remember getting anything for Wind Waker though

For Twighlight Princess they should give out a free dog biscuit. :lol:

[quote name='Requiem']Hey so they aren't giving out any freebies with such a big release title? Maybe they haven't announced any yet, but I hope it's like the past Zelda games. I got a free T-shirt, poster, a pin, and special collector's bag for Ocarina of Time.

I don't remember getting anything for Wind Waker though

For Twighlight Princess they should give out a free dog biscuit. :lol:[/QUOTE]
...you didn't get anything for Wind Waker? Where the heck do you preorder stuff? The Wind Waker preorder bonus was a disc containing Ocarina of Time and Ocarina of Time Master Quest.
It was huge and awesome.

Oh yeah. I forgot about that. I kept thinking I got that disc for something else.

I guess I was thinking along the line of posters/shirts and stuff. But yeah, I did get the Master Quest disc. :)

[quote name='Requiem']Hey so they aren't giving out any freebies with such a big release title? Maybe they haven't announced any yet, but I hope it's like the past Zelda games. I got a free T-shirt, poster, a pin, and special collector's bag for Ocarina of Time.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah that was a great promo. I still remember the line for that. Still got the bag hanging up in my closet too.

may be the first game i preorder.. but.. considering how well i do at my pawn shops and such.. i may hold off.. but if a LE gets announced.. i have to get it for my girlfriend (a zelda freak.. heh)

Got in on this deal today. Used games that came free after voucher from those EB sales like Hot Shots, Syphon Filter, Capcom Fighting Evo, Getaway BM and an extra copy of Taiko.

Up to $50 trade-in credit toward NASCAR 2006 pre-purchase Active: Now - 8/31/2005
Trade-in 1 to 4 select pre-played PS2/XB/GC games and receive $12.50 trade-in credit each towards the pre-purchase of NASCAR 2006 TOTAL TEAM CON PS2 or NASCAR 2006 TOTAL TEAM CON XB. Game Boxes and Instructions are required. Some titles are excluded from trade. May not be combined with any other offer or discount. Typographical errors are not the responsibility of EB Games. Some exclusions may apply. See sales associate for complete details. Offer valid on pre-purchase only.

could i just trade 4 in for nascar and switch it over to zelda before the nascar is released?

[quote name='greyzieoriental']Trade-in 1 to 4 select pre-played PS2/XB/GC games and receive $12.50 trade-in credit each towards the pre-purchase of NASCAR 2006 TOTAL TEAM CON PS2 or NASCAR 2006 TOTAL TEAM CON XB.

could i just trade 4 in for nascar and switch it over to zelda before the nascar is released?[/QUOTE]

Yes, this is what I'm going to do . . . The Nascar deal is very good and they shouldn't hassle you about switching the credit.

So can I trade in PS2/Xbox or even DS games to count towards this deal? Or even PS1 games? Because I have a lot of games I have either beaten, or suck but I bought because they were 99cents laying around :D

Can you trade cheap games towards a preorder and turn it into credit towards another game? I want to dump Siren and .hack, and I would love to get $10 each for those worthless games.

[quote name='Quackzilla']Can you trade cheap games towards a preorder and turn it into credit towards another game? I want to dump Siren and .hack, and I would love to get $10 each for those worthless games.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but if your just gonna do that then you might as well trade 4 for a preorder of NASCAR 06 and then just cancel it to get your $50 store credit.

Just FYI - the Madden deal is still active as well (trade in 5 for a new Madden '06). I went in intending to do the Zelda deal and asked about Madden, assuming it ended last week or something. He said it has been extended - then scanned my 5 PO games and gave me a copy of Madden. I didn't ask how long it was extended for, but just call and ask - I would assume the rest of this week anyway.

[quote name='io']Just FYI - the Madden deal is still active as well (trade in 5 for a new Madden '06). I went in intending to do the Zelda deal and asked about Madden, assuming it ended last week or something. He said it has been extended - then scanned my 5 PO games and gave me a copy of Madden. I didn't ask how long it was extended for, but just call and ask - I would assume the rest of this week anyway.[/QUOTE]

its extended until 8/14/05, its part of the EB Games deal from this thread
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61047

[quote name='tenzor']its extended until 8/14/05, its part of the EB Games deal from this thread
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61047[/QUOTE]

So it is... I checked that thread out when you first posted it and now vaguely remember seeing that deal there - maybe that's what prompted me to ask the guy yesterday if it was still running... Anyway, thanks for the info. My guess about it running till the end of the week was good at least :D (unless this was subconscious as well!).

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Yeah, but if your just gonna do that then you might as well trade 4 for a preorder of NASCAR 06 and then just cancel it to get your $50 store credit.[/QUOTE]

So if you cancel a pre-order, the credit can be moved? If this is the case, looks like I'll "pre-order" Nascar :)

[quote name='aoLat']I'll "pre-order" Nascar 2006, too, and then change it to Zelda: TP a couple days later. :)[/QUOTE]

I'm not too bright ... I must have missed something. Why would you do that instead of just preordering Zelda:TP?

[quote name='Maklershed']I'm not too bright ... I must have missed something. Why would you do that instead of just preordering Zelda:TP?[/QUOTE]

Only 4 games needed for Nascar.

I might have to do something like that and flip it over to Lockdown (GC) now. Since it took me two weeks to look back at the Gamerush preorder list and realize it's not on there...

[quote name='Maklershed']I'm not too bright ... I must have missed something. Why would you do that instead of just preordering Zelda:TP?[/QUOTE]

Preorder NASCAR: free with 4 PO games.
Preorder Zelda TP: free with 5 PO games.

ie. you can get it for one less game.

steve

Ahh interesting. I'm not completely wise to the ways of being a truly c-a-g .. I didnt even notice that. Looks like some Nascar 06 preordering is in my future. Hopefully I remember to switch it over before it comes out .. I dont wann be stuck with a racing game.

[quote name='CaptPete']Preorder NASCAR: free with 4 PO games.
Preorder Zelda TP: free with 5 PO games.

ie. you can get it for one less game.

steve[/QUOTE]
Will they switch it from Nascar to Zelda if I ask? That seems like such a bizarre conversation...

"Um...I had Nascar 2006 pre-ordered, like I'm a big fan and all, but that new Zelda game - DAMN! - I need it. Can you transfer that bad boy to a Zelda preorder?"

Anyways, I want to make sure they will because dammit I don't want a copy of Nascar 2006! Also, how long would I have to wait to transfer it over? I doubt they'd let me change my mind 10 seconds after I preordered it :D

[quote name='SilverPaw750']Will they switch it from Nascar to Zelda if I ask? That seems like such a bizarre conversation...

"Um...I had Nascar 2006 pre-ordered, like I'm a big fan and all, but that new Zelda game - DAMN! - I need it. Can you transfer that bad boy to a Zelda preorder?"

Anyways, I want to make sure they will because dammit I don't want a copy of Nascar 2006! Also, how long would I have to wait to transfer it over? I doubt they'd let me change my mind 10 seconds after I preordered it :D[/QUOTE]

You could probably just come in later and say you don't want to preorder Nascar anymore. They should give you credit or a gift card or something.

Come in a week later and use the credit for Zelda. Although I'm assuming Nascar is $50? I remember seeing it was $40 but never followed up.

I did the Nascar 06 preorder trade-in deal today . . . with no intention of keeping the game.

Max Payne 2 (all PS2) $5 at BB
Starsky Hutch $5 BB
Wild Arms 3 $5 from last year
MAT2 .01 TRU

Lucky all four games cleared PO, I had no extras with me.

$15 got $50 in EB credit

Definitely do this deal rather that the 5 for deal.

I did the Nascar 06 preorder trade-in deal today . . . with no intention of keeping the game.

Starsky Hutch $5 BB
MAT2 .01 TRU

$15 got $50 in EB credit

Definitely do this deal rather that the 5 for deal.

Let us know how it goes with switching the credit over to Zelda and then switching it over again to the Limited Edition. Definitely want to check this out.

[quote name='schultzed']I did the Nascar 06 preorder trade-in deal today . . . with no intention of keeping the game.

Starsky Hutch $5 BB
MAT2 .01 TRU

$15 got $50 in EB credit

Definitely do this deal rather that the 5 for deal.[/QUOTE]
Is there any limit on how bad of condition the games can be in? I mean, all of my games are playable, but most of my crappy ones have either a movie gallery or blockbuster sticker on them since I picked them up there for 2 or 3 dollars pre-rented. They don't have manuals either...

And if I then cancelled my pre-order, would I just have $50 EB credit? Because $15 worth of games for $50 of EB credit would kick ass :D

i traded in crazy taxi 3 for the xbox that didnt even work, but i also bout that game from ebgames which is guarenteed to work, tried returning it and they wouldnt let me so i traded it in, dude didnt even check the games, opened the case to see if disc and manual were there and thats that, but they wouldnt let me trade in a metriod prime wavebird bundle copy, said i needed the original cover, so now i'm trying to make a cover of the original metroid prime

any suggestions? would kinkos let me do it?

also traded 3 games nascar 06 deal for $37.50

[quote name='SilverPaw750']Is there any limit on how bad of condition the games can be in? I mean, all of my games are playable, but most of my crappy ones have either a movie gallery or blockbuster sticker on them since I picked them up there for 2 or 3 dollars pre-rented. They don't have manuals either...

And if I then cancelled my pre-order, would I just have $50 EB credit? Because $15 worth of games for $50 of EB credit would kick ass :D[/QUOTE]

I don't think there's any sort of required physical condition the games have to be in, other than that they do have to work. However, for similar trade-in deals in the past, the games had to be complete with manual.

Regarding switching your preorder to credit, it probably depends on the employee you get. I can imagine that some employees might force you to keep the deal you traded for. But I've had success in the past a couple of different ways. One, by picking up the deal's game and exchanging it with receipt later; two, by switching my trade-in credit towards another preorder before even getting the original game. I've never tried to get credit just on a card, though; I've always applied it towards something else immediately.

Hmm. I have Galatic Wrestling (PS2), Metroid Prime (GCN) (K-Mart Bundle), I-Ninja (PS2), Transformes (PS2), and Mechassualt (Xbox). I'm gonna see what kind of luck I have tomorrow.

Tony Hawk's Underground (XBox) - $2.00
Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic (XBox) - $5.00
Soul Calibur II (GC) - $4.00
Wave Race: Blue Storm (GC) - $1.50

Normal Total = $12.50
Zelda Deal Total = $40.00

I think that's worth a couple woots...WOOT...WOOT!

A big thanks to the original poster. Now all I have to do between now and the game's release is find one more game to trade. New Zelda for less than $20 makes me smile.

[quote name='trent82']Tony Hawk's Underground (XBox) - $2.00

Normal Total = $12.50

A big thanks to the original poster. Now all I have to do between now and the game's release is find one more game to trade. New Zelda for less than $20 makes me smile.[/QUOTE]
Where did you get SCII for $4?! I WANT IN ON IT!! :D

[quote name='trent82']Tony Hawk's Underground (XBox) - $2.00

Normal Total = $12.50

A big thanks to the original poster. Now all I have to do between now and the game's release is find one more game to trade. New Zelda for less than $20 makes me smile.[/QUOTE]

Dude, you know you could have traded in those FOUR games for Nascar 06 for $50, cancel that preorder at a later date an apply it to Zelda.

I don't know if you can do anything about it now though. But I'd look into it if I were you.

[quote name='SilverPaw750']Where did you get SCII for $4?! I WANT IN ON IT!! :D[/QUOTE]

Those were the original trade in prices, not what he bought them for

[quote name='SilverPaw750']Where did you get SCII for $4?! I WANT IN ON IT!! :D[/QUOTE]

I think he's saying the normal trade-in value of those games at EB would be that much (ie, Soul Calibur II is $4). Not sure what the less than $20 is all about though - since EB gives next to nothing for most games, saying you turned $20 into $50 isn't really all that great if you're talking about what they normally trade for and not what you spent on the games yourself.

I have 4 games ready to go in - 3 $6.99 games from Gamerush that I got with buy 2 get 1 free, and a $5 Best Buy game - so irregardless of the normal EB trade value, they cost me $19. I'm thinking of trying the NASCAR '06 thing, but I just have a hard time believing they will actually just give me back the full $50 credit :D. If not I throw in another $5 Best Buy game and I spent $24 for Zelda, which is still a great deal.

Edit - D'oh! Beat me to it evophile!

Like the other people pointed out, that is the normal trade in value, not how much I paid for it. But, if you are interested, the game sells for not much more than that on eBay. I tried selling that same copy, a mint and complete copy, on eBay in July, and it went for just $7. However, it was a deadbeat bidder, so I decided to use it for this trade, but I'm sure you could find a similarly priced copy on eBay.

[quote name='evophile']Dude, you know you could have traded in those FOUR games for Nascar 06 for $50, cancel that preorder at a later date an apply it to Zelda.

I don't know if you can do anything about it now though. But I'd look into it if I were you.[/QUOTE]
I wasn't aware of that, but I'll be fine with getting Zelda for less than $20. Also, there is always the chance that my EB would give me a hard time about that, and I definitely don't want to get stuck with NASCAR 2006. Don't get me wrong, I'm a NASCAR fan, but the games are always really crappy.

[quote name='io']Not sure what the less than $20 is all about though - since EB gives next to nothing for most games, saying you turned $20 into $50 isn't really all that great if you're talking about what they normally trade for and not what you spent on the games yourself.[/QUOTE]
I know what you're saying, but hear me out. I was already planning on selling these 4 games and with some research, I came to the conclusion that the most I could get for them on eBay would be approximately $23...and that is just the revenue. Then, once you subtract the eBay and PayPal fees for 4 auctions, that takes that value down closer to $16. So, essentially I turned a $16 market value into $40, and that is what I was really happy about. And when I choose my fifth game, it will most likely keep that market value below $20. So, once you do the math, those EB values don't seem so low, and it is a lot more convenient to simply trade them in than to set up 4 auctions, answer questions, package them up, and mail them out.

And if you want to talk about how much I originally paid for these games, we can, but it really doesn't apply. I paid full price for 3 of them and $25 for KOTOR, so that's $175 plus tax. But I spent over 10 hours on 3 of them and about 5 hours on KOTOR (I seriously failed to see what is supposed to be so great about this game). Combined, I'd estimate that I got at least 45 hours of entertainment for my $175, and to me, that is more than enough and anything I can get for them now that I am selling them is essentially a profit. You simply cannot pretend that a game, like Wave Race, that cost $50 almost 4 years ago is still worth that much now. Its real value is whatever people are willing to pay for it, and from my experience, that average value is about $5 on eBay, which is less than $4 after you subtract the fees.

[quote name='trent82']
And if you want to talk about how much I originally paid for these games, we can, but it really doesn't apply. I paid full price for 3 of them and $25 for KOTOR, so that's $175 plus tax. But I spent over 10 hours on 3 of them and about 5 hours on KOTOR (I seriously failed to see what is supposed to be so great about this game). Combined, I'd estimate that I got at least 45 hours of entertainment for my $175, and to me, that is more than enough and anything I can get for them now that I am selling them is essentially a profit. You simply cannot pretend that a game, like Wave Race, that cost $50 almost 4 years ago is still worth that much now. Its real value is whatever people are willing to pay for it, and from my experience, that average value is about $5 on eBay, which is less than $4 after you subtract the fees.[/QUOTE]

Fair eough - if these are games from your collection then obviously using them for any of the EB deals is a good deal for you as long as the original EB trade-in values aren't worth more than the bumped up trade-in prices (ie, $10 each for Zelda). In that case, you are right, the original cost is moot. It just seemed in your original post you were saying you would get Zelda for less than $20. That made it sound like that was your original, out of pocket, cost - but now I see you are saying that is what you could get for the games otherwise. In that case, go for it! And I wouldn't mess with the NASCAR thing either (and I'm NOT a NASCAR fan :D). But, since you are an ebayer, I'm sure, if you really got stuck with it, you could sell it on ebay on release day (sealed of course) and get at least $40 back, if not more.

My problem with all these trade-in deals is that I tend to want to keep just about all the games I have, so I have to buy games to use for trade-ins. So I think in terms of the original cost of the games - as long as I can roughly double my original expense in the value of what I get with the offer, I'm set (so $24 for a $50 Zelda is perfect).

I'd probably do what you do, but I don't have a Best Buy or Circuit City within reasonable driving distance. All I have is a Wal-Mart that still keeps games like Fantavision in the big glass display case priced at $30 instead of throwing it in the bargain bin for $10. So, $5 games are hard to find around here. Trading in games from my collection isn't necessarily ideal, but I've thought about it quite a bit and decided that it really isn't so bad. I started to think about how few games from the last generation I ever have the urge to go back and play again, so I'm predicting that I might feel that same way about the current generation in a year or 2. And in that case, weeding through my collection now might prove to be the best move because of trade in deals like the one discussed in this thread. Just a couple of days ago I was thinking, "How am I gonna afford the new Zelda in November while also spending over $450 at the XBox 360's launch"...and now, problem solved.

A few comments:

Switching the preorder credit to another game or even to your Edge card is likely YMMV (or Your Luck May Vary) but I don't know of anyone being turned down while doing it . . .

I think that once the preorder is in, it dosen't show in the system how you got the credit . . . just that the $49.99 (in the Nascar case) was acquired by store credit. Thus, you can't get cash back but the preorder is kept by your name, so you don't need the receipt (which shows your tradeins) to switch your credit to another purpose.

Trading in games that you paid full price for is not optimum but if you are truly done with old games this might be one of the better ways to get some value from them.

I cashed in a bunch of my games during "get a PSP game for 3 trades" promo in March . . . mostly they were $5 CC games but they were from my collection not the stuff I pick up for $5 or less for these tradein deals. The funny thing is that I can rebuy many of them at a profit . . .

Traded in Rayman 3 PS2 for $13.33 bought Rayman 3 Xbox for $7.50 after coupons on EBGames.com (now is higher). Grabbed by Ghoulies got me $13.33 and I could rebuy it right now for $7.50 . . .

As for buying cheap games for trade in at EB . . . you've got to work on it. It takes time to find the deals that work. As Io pointed out GR or Blockbuster has $6.99 or $7.99 games that work . . . if you get them with a B2get1 then they are $6 each but you're getting $10-12.50 for it. Sometimes games that are $5 at GS or EB itself will work for tradein. Target clearance is another good source.

The other part of this strategy is working the EBgames website to its fullest. Last year when Burnout 3 was released I thought it sounded really good . . . but I waited and waited (damn, I have 15 games I haven't played from deals anyway). Then when B3 hit $20, I ordered it used from EBgames ($17.99 minus 10% Edge card and 15% CAG15 and free shipping with SAVER) for $13.50 shipped . . . that's like $7 out of pocket. The games come complete and if you don't like the disc condition you can exchange them or return them instore.

I buy some games new at release but now I mostly wait . . . so, when Doom 3, Psychonauts, RE4. God of War hit $20, then I will buy them.

In the meantime, if I'm bored I could get:
http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/246188.asp
http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/242369.asp

Schultzed, just some advice on games:

Battlefront and MechAssault 2 are pretty dissapointing. I guess at that price they are decent purchases, but I wouldn't even bother with them. If you don't have xbox live, then the games are bad. RE4 is the best this gen IMO. You should pick that up before Mechassault 2 and battlefront, even though it is twice the price. Phsychonauts is fantastic, and Doom 3 is only good if you like old school FPS.

[quote name='aaa']Schultzed, just some advice on games:

Battlefront and MechAssault 2 are pretty dissapointing. I guess at that price they are decent purchases, but I wouldn't even bother with them. If you don't have xbox live, then the games are bad. RE4 is the best this gen IMO. You should pick that up before Mechassault 2 and battlefront, even though it is twice the price. Phsychonauts is fantastic, and Doom 3 is only good if you like old school FPS.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, that why I didn't jump on MA2 and Battlefront to this point . . . for $7 out of pocket they might be purchases now.

but my basic point is to wait as long as possible and maximize the EB credit along the way.

bread's done
Back