Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess free (or discounted!) at EBGames with trade-ins

masterh

CAGiversary!
Feedback
35 (100%)
For those of you who aren't reading every page of the Nintendogs trade-in topic, EBGames has started a new deal today - trade in any 5 PS2, XBOX, and GC titles (POX excluded) and get Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess preordered for free.

UPDATED: According to the EBGames clerk, this deal will not expire until Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess is released.
IN ADDITION, the clerk told me that you don't have to have 5 games to get the discount - basically, ANY non-POX title you trade in will get you $10 off the game. So if you only have two non-POX titles, you get $20 off.

I was thinking about doing the whole buy games for 5 dollars at BB sort of deal, but then I looked at my collection and found that I could do it even cheaper... today i used (all Cube games)
Splinter Cell (got it for free from a friend, also have it on PC)
Super Monkey Ball (already have SMB Deluxe)
Metal Arms (got it for free, didn't really like it anyways)
Red Faction 2 (Paid like $18 for it, haven't played it forever)
Crash Bandicoot - Wrath of Cortex (got it for $10 years ago, beat it)

In all, I paid less then $50 for 5 games that I've played through a lot, and also Zelda. Pretty decent for me, and I didn't have to go through any work about buying other games and whatnot.

[quote name='amos_82']Most of them require case and manual both. Case is defininitely a MUST!![/QUOTE]
Oh, yeah all of my games have cases, but a few I bought from Blockbuster/Movie Gallery don't have manual...dammit I have some pretty shitty games from those places too :(

[quote name='amos_82']max Payne 2 is now a POX title[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I almost bought it at BB, but called up my friend to check the POX list one more time for me, and he notified me it was POX. Glad I didn't waste my money on it, since I already own it on PC...

thats odd, I just used MP2 for the PS2 tonight towards Zelda.

I used

--Starsky and Hutch
--Max Payne 2
--BoF: Dragon quarter
--Tomb Raider
--VF4:Evo

dropout: I'll take a kiss from your avatar. I believe you'll get your game and if a LE enters the system, you can bump up to it by paying the difference.

[quote name='coolbrys']I was thinking about doing the whole buy games for 5 dollars at BB sort of deal, but then I looked at my collection and found that I could do it even cheaper... today i used (all Cube games)
Splinter Cell (got it for free from a friend, also have it on PC)
Super Monkey Ball (already have SMB Deluxe)
Metal Arms (got it for free, didn't really like it anyways)
Red Faction 2 (Paid like $18 for it, haven't played it forever)
Crash Bandicoot - Wrath of Cortex (got it for $10 years ago, beat it)

In all, I paid less then $50 for 5 games that I've played through a lot, and also Zelda. Pretty decent for me, and I didn't have to go through any work about buying other games and whatnot.[/QUOTE]

This is a good way to go . . . if you can cull stuff from your collection it makes is sweeter. I'll often do a mixture of my stuff with BB or Target games.

When they had the PSP game deal (3 PO games for $40 PSP title) I traded in about 12 games from my collection. Many were $5 CC duds but some were games I wanted to switch systems. I traded both SMonkey Balls to get $26 in credit then got SMB deluxe for Xbox for $20 after a voucher. Rayman 3 PS2 got $13.33 I just got it on Xbox for $7.50 ac on EB.com.

Those 12 games brought in $160 in credit.

[quote name='Apossum']thats odd, I just used MP2 for the PS2 tonight towards Zelda.

I used

--Starsky and Hutch
--Max Payne 2
--BoF: Dragon quarter
--Tomb Raider
--VF4:Evo[/QUOTE]
You're right, it's actually only the Xbox version that's POX, and the PS2 version of starsky and hutch isnt POX either (I had a friend searching the entire page for tht titles, not just the PS2 list), and they're both $9.99 before the $5 coupon. BB had no $4.99 games when I went, and if they don't in a week or so, I'll cave and get those.

Blockbuster is a good place to check too-- they've got a B2G1 sale. Mine only had 6.99 games, but I think I saved a few cents in tax ;-)

[quote name='schultzed']dropout: I'll take a kiss from your avatar. I believe you'll get your game and if a LE enters the system, you can bump up to it by paying the difference.

This is a good way to go . . . if you can cull stuff from your collection it makes is sweeter. I'll often do a mixture of my stuff with BB or Target games.

When they had the PSP game deal (3 PO games for $40 PSP title) I traded in about 12 games from my collection. Many were $5 CC duds but some were games I wanted to switch systems. I traded both SMonkey Balls to get $26 in credit then got SMB deluxe for Xbox for $20 after a voucher. Rayman 3 PS2 got $13.33 I just got it on Xbox for $7.50 ac on EB.com.

Those 12 games brought in $160 in credit.[/QUOTE]
I may do that too. I have a few games in my collection that I've played the hell out of (Metroid Prime, Hunter the Reckoning) that I know I couldn't get more than $10-$12 for on even CAG, so I'll combine them with purchases i make for the deal. So far I've got Hunter the Reckoning, MP, and HTR: Wayward lined up to trade for zelda...

EDIT: Also, how much would a game like Wind Waker (with a slightly written in guide) sell for here on CAG? If it's not more than $10-$12, I'll trade that in for the new Zelda as well.

[quote name='Apossum']You could probably get $12 for WW here.[/QUOTE]
I'd get $10 credit trading towards Zelda, or $12.50 towards Nascar (cancelling it later). Yeah, I'll pass on selling that here.

Hmmm... Not sure what to think about this. Wonder if EB will extend the preorder deal into 2006? :D

http://cube.ign.com/articles/642/642238p1.html

To summarize - Zelda has been pushed off to some unspecified date in 2006 to make it a better game...

If this extra time makes it the best game ever, then obviously I don't care. But it was going to be a big seller for Nintendo in the midst of the Xbox 360 launch - so it is bad for them from a PR standpoint.

Discuss here:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63078

[quote name='amos_82']max Payne 2 is now a POX title[/QUOTE]

Bah... guess I'm trading that in to GR for nothing. At least I can get a PG rebate so I dont really lose anything on it.

Or after actually reading the rest of the posts, I guess it's still good to go. Sucks about the Zelda pushback..

If they continue the deal, I'll eventually trade in a 5th relatively worthless game to finish paying it off and then switch the credit over to something XBox 360 related. I don't know about you guys, but I really think that Nintendo's best move at this point is to make Twilight Princess a Revolution launch title. If the Revolution launches next holiday season as expected, I believe that would be an adequate amount of time to upgrade the graphics. It would also give them more space to work with since the Revolution will use regular sized dvds.

[quote name='trent82']If they continue the deal, I'll eventually trade in a 5th relatively worthless game to finish paying it off and then switch the credit over to something XBox 360 related. I don't know about you guys, but I really think that Nintendo's best move at this point is to make Twilight Princess a Revolution launch title. If the Revolution launches next holiday season as expected, I believe that would be an adequate amount of time to upgrade the graphics. It would also give them more space to work with since the Revolution will use regular sized dvds.[/QUOTE]

Eh... I'd say no... maybe a GC title released around Revolution launch, but not for the Revolution. I don't think I'm the only person not planning on getting a Revolution the day it comes out, so that would really limit its impact. Whereas if you release it for GC, it can still technically be a "launch title" as a result of backwards compatibility.

But that's just me, being optimistic. And of course, now it might make some sense to have this preordered through EB instead of GR, given Blockbuster's financial struggles, who knows what they're gonna do in the next 6 months.

doesn't matter anymore suckers. it's been delayed until after march next year. well, actually it sucks for me too. i couldn't wait for the game.

[quote name='davidjdiaz']doesn't matter anymore suckers. it's been delayed until after march next year. well, actually it sucks for me too. i couldn't wait for the game.[/QUOTE]

I guess I'll take my credit and use it on something else. Anybody think they will release it for the Revolution instead?

probably not buddy, porting an entire game to a console which I believe has failed given console development kits to third parties such as Capcom yet, will probably shy away from releasing it on Revolution. Besides, the Revolution isn't slated to release until the end of 2006 maybe even beginning of 2007.

[quote name='botticus']Eh... I'd say no... maybe a GC title released around Revolution launch, but not for the Revolution. I don't think I'm the only person not planning on getting a Revolution the day it comes out, so that would really limit its impact. Whereas if you release it for GC, it can still technically be a "launch title" as a result of backwards compatibility.[/QUOTE]
You need to view the issue from Nintendo's perspective. If they release it at launch as an actual Revolution game, and not simply a backwards compatible GameCube game, then people will have a very big reason to want and need the Revolution on day 1. It is something to get excited about for the new system. Also, releasing a high profile game that late in a console's life cycle can be a big mistake because many people are already in next gen mode and ready for the new stuff, and an "old" game, even if it is Zelda, might be ignored by people who would normally buy it on day 1. The last thing they want is something like the GameCube launch where their big release was Luigi's Mansion. A good launch lineup needs an exclusive flagship title and then a great group of support from other high quality exclusive titles, along with a decent selection of non-exclusive games. The problem with the GameCube launch is that there was no flagship title, and you could argue that the 3rd party support was a little weak, although it didn't vary too much from the competition for their launches. I would love if the Revolution could also launch with great supporting games like Smash Bros. (which has already been announced), Pikmin, Super Monkey Ball, Rogue Squadron, etc. as the GameCube did, but without Zelda or Mario at launch, a lot of previously dedicated Nintendo fans might not care about the launch as much. Unless I have an extra bit of cash next fall, I don't see myself picking up the Revolution on day 1 unless there is a big reason to do so, and a next gen Zelda, one that by that time would have been in development for 3.5 years, would quite possibly be the biggest reason I could imagine for a Nintendo console.

[quote name='trent82']You need to view the issue from Nintendo's perspective.[/QUOTE]

A very valid argument, but at the same time, if they really wanted Zelda just to push sales, they'd say screw the developer and put it out in November as scheduled, to take a bite out of the 360. As it is, they're missing that boat.

Now they might almost be better served to try to time it with the PS3 launch as someone else mentioned earlier in the discussion thread (where these posts should probably be, oops, I'll stop now), I believe. If they wait to launch to do anything spectacular, their market share is gonna get eaten up just like it was with the GameCube.

But hey, who knows. Nintendo will do what Nintendo will do. And I'll smack 'em if they make me buy a $200-$300 console to enjoy what may very well be a $60 title by that time.

You just made me think of something. If Nintendo would release Zelda to coincide with the launch of the PS3 and Microsoft releases Halo 3 at the same time, as they have suggested, that really would be a pretty big blow to Sony. The PS3 is gonna sell a lot no matter what, but if it has a $400+ price tag and the biggest Nintendo game and the biggest Microsoft game released at about the same time, many people who are on the fence might hold off...I know I would. Why pay $400+ for the system and then more for a memory card or hard drive, and then even more for at least one game, when you could spend just $110 for 2 games that are guaranteed to be better than anything Sony will likely have ready for launch.

Did the Nascar thing today. I almost feel bad for EB I got them so bad:

Metropolismania 2.00 ---> 12.50
Munchs Oddysee 1.00 ---> 12.50
SSX Tricky 1.00 ---> 12.50
Legnds of Wrestling 2 .75 ---> 12.50

any of you guys have luck canceling/switching preorders today? sounds like it might be ymmv, maybe i'll just keep it and see what I can do with it then

[quote name='trent82']You just made me think of something. If Nintendo would release Zelda to coincide with the launch of the PS3 and Microsoft releases Halo 3 at the same time, as they have suggested, that really would be a pretty big blow to Sony. The PS3 is gonna sell a lot no matter what, but if it has a $400+ price tag and the biggest Nintendo game and the biggest Microsoft game released at about the same time, many people who are on the fence might hold off...I know I would. Why pay $400+ for the system and then more for a memory card or hard drive, and then even more for at least one game, when you could spend just $110 for 2 games that are guaranteed to be better than anything Sony will likely have ready for launch.[/QUOTE]

PS3 wont be ready until like fall of 2006 and zelda will be out november

[quote name='m0dem']PS3 wont be ready until like fall of 2006 and zelda will be out november[/QUOTE]

Zelda was officially delayed till sometime in 2006.

[quote name='m0dem']PS3 wont be ready until like fall of 2006 and zelda will be out november[/QUOTE]

Zelda might be out NEXT November - but I'd say early summer is more likely. We know, now, it won't be before April anyway. Maybe you missed the news? :D.

well if it is delayed till 2006 wont it make more sense for nintendo to release it for revolution instead seeing how it should be ready by then

[quote name='evophile']Did the Nascar thing today. I almost feel bad for EB I got them so bad:

Metropolismania 2.00 ---> 12.50
Munchs Oddysee 1.00 ---> 12.50
SSX Tricky 1.00 ---> 12.50
Legnds of Wrestling 2 .75 ---> 12.50

any of you guys have luck canceling/switching preorders today? sounds like it might be ymmv, maybe i'll just keep it and see what I can do with it then[/QUOTE]

...1 and 2 dollar games???!!! WOW, i wouldve picked up 25 copies each just because they're at that price.

[quote name='Americanpierg']...1 and 2 dollar games???!!! WOW, i wouldve picked up 25 copies each just because they're at that price.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, those were the original trade in prices for those games. the guy at EB even laughed himself when he saw the value. Funny thing is I got all those games at last years CC $5 sale and they were all POX then. I got lucky.

Now, only if my Pride FC and Clock Tower 3 would go PO heh.

[quote name='Requiem']Well this is disappointing.

Now the GC has no games on the horizon for over half a year. Great.[/QUOTE]
Well there's Mario everything...

[quote name='Requiem']Well this is disappointing.

Now the GC has no games on the horizon for over half a year. Great.[/QUOTE]

Well, not much exclusive besides Mario Superstar Baseball, I suppose, but decent enough 3rd party. And who knows what will show up in the meantime. No point being disappointed about Gamecube selection now if you've survived the lack of GC love covering at least the year since I've had one.

I can't believe that they would delay their biggest title of the year. They are going to get killed in the Holiday Season, unless they have something planned, but I doubt it...

Yeah it's actually not the most crushing thing. I guess I was just excited for this game. But when I think about it there are other things to play even if Zelda doesnt come out:

Xbox 360
DS has a lot of games coming out, and it's going online
and I'm sure there are some PC games coming too

so not a total loss, and at least Zelda is going to be more in-depth.

[quote name='jkircos']I can't believe that they would delay their biggest title of the year. They are going to get killed in the Holiday Season, unless they have something planned, but I doubt it...[/QUOTE]

Considering they've probably gotten killed every holiday season, I guess the question is, does it really matter? Nintendo will continue to post a profit, which is good for us fanboys and their long-term viability, as disappointing as things can go at times.

*ring ring* "Hello, EB games? i have 40 dollars down on Zelda, annnd i just heard its not coming out until 2006"
"Really? that sucks, where did you hear that?"
"some european website. anyway, can i put that 40 dollars toward something sooner, like could i use it to buy an xbox 360 in november?"
"Yeah, of course!"

an hour later...
"Hello? Guy? Did you call like an hour ago asking about transfering 40 bucks from Zelda toward something else?"
"uh, yeah..."
"i was wrong, sorry, but since that was a special trade in deal, you could only get 15$ toward some other purchase, since that was the worth of the 4 games you traded in"

daaaaaaaaamn. sorta cool they called me back tho to correct it. sorta scarey stalkerish, too. sorry ebgames girl, i'm married....

Dang that news hurts... Nintendo should have did everything in their power to get Twilight Princess out this year. Gamecube is going to get ***** slapped for sure this holiday season now.

Since they're going to announce the release in April and there is no way it's coming out during the summer I'm guessing it's coming holiday season 06... which will be a freakin travesty.

This was going to be there big holiday seller...and most likely the best thing thats ever happened to the gamecube. Im pretty sure they wouldnt delay it unless they really needed to, and if its for the sake of the game...then I know that there is still some good in the gaming industry

[quote name='Requiem']so not a total loss, and at least Zelda is going to be more in-depth.[/QUOTE]

sure, just like the new duke nukem will be the most in-depth game ever.

lol. yeah, im sure they will use the time to make it better, i agree. but it better blow me away, though....

OK, have a question. Let's say I grab 5 games from BB ($5 each after coupon) and get my "free" LOZ:TTP. After about 2 months of waiting something else comes out or I want to set that money towards a Nintendo DS, will I get the $50 or will it then transfer into what my original trade in was?

[quote name='Requiem']At least we have Dance Dance Mario Revolution to look forward too! ;)[/QUOTE]
I'm actually kind of looking forward to Mario Baseball, as its previews said it was awesome. But there are a LOT of good DS games coming out :D

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']OK, have a question. Let's say I grab 5 games from BB ($5 each after coupon) and get my "free" LOZ:TTP. After about 2 months of waiting something else comes out or I want to set that money towards a Nintendo DS, will I get the $50 or will it then transfer into what my original trade in was?[/QUOTE]

Already been asked and answered its YMMV

Just so people know, I was in EBGames today, asked the guy about an LE for this game, and he said nothing yet. However he showed me an e-mail, Zelda was pushed back with no set date but not before March 31 2006...Saw that one coming

-Adam

bread's done
Back