LEGO Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='ackbar7']I'm actually really liking the Kingdoms sets. Seems a throw back to when I was a kid. I am going to agree though, those 2 impulse sets are really great and those are must have figs if you ask me.[/QUOTE]

I'm hoping that both will be available here...

I am going to love the Kingdom sets, wonder how many more they will make.

I like the current Castle sets more, but it's all good.

Jest and Wizard better be sold in the USA otherwise I might just be "missing" all the pieces to those sets... or so I tell LEGO....

PoP are rather blah, the new pieces are great but the sets are empty, good for clearance. :) Also the big PoP castle is awesome, much better than the new Kingdoms castle.

[quote name='180husher']I like the jester and wizard impulse sets.[/QUOTE]

I definitely need those too. I hope I don't have to import it like I did with the older UK grey wizard.

[quote name='bigdaddy']^ Walmart exclusive.

$25 too! Insane![/QUOTE]
Insane as in it's a good price or insane as it's a bit steep? IMO, $25 for 163 pieces a bit steep. I was hoping the MSRP would have been no more than $20, but I'm still going to grab at least 2 if I get the chance. I missed out on the last landspeeder, but this one looks much better. Plus, a grey R2D2 and C3PO in a different color makes it a nice set.

[quote name='bigdaddy']I like the current Castle sets more, but it's all good.

Jest and Wizard better be sold in the USA otherwise I might just be "missing" all the pieces to those sets... or so I tell LEGO....

PoP are rather blah, the new pieces are great but the sets are empty, good for clearance. :) Also the big PoP castle is awesome, much better than the new Kingdoms castle.[/QUOTE]

Well I like that it isn't more of the same with Castle. It would be weird to get like a copy of the castle/tower things and just smack with the Kingdoms logo.

Maybe Lego is trial running these to see if they need to go all fancy with the Castle series again.

I think the PoP sets are meh... I hate the box art with Jake's big mug on it. I definately hope they will go on clearence too.

And all the new pieces in those colors will be nice for MOCs.

[quote name='JAYMATIK']Insane as in it's a good price or insane as it's a bit steep? IMO, $25 for 163 pieces a bit steep. I was hoping the MSRP would have been no more than $20, but I'm still going to grab at least 2 if I get the chance. I missed out on the last landspeeder, but this one looks much better. Plus, a grey R2D2 and C3PO in a different color makes it a nice set.[/QUOTE]

I think he means insane price comparing to pieces purchased.

I would agree, $25 for that?!?

I can't wait till SW is out and dead... hope it stays that way.

[quote name='xycury']
I can't wait till SW is out and dead... hope it stays that way.[/QUOTE]

Everytime I buy something from S@H, they send me a follow-up email asking me to check out their 25 best sellers...at least 15 of which are Star Wars.

[quote name='180husher']Everytime I buy something from S@H, they send me a follow-up email asking me to check out their 25 best sellers...at least 15 of which are Star Wars.[/QUOTE]
Which is the main reason why Star Wars will never die. They can keep on re-releasing old sets with updates and people will still buy. Of course, as long as LEGO can renew the licensing rights when it expires, which I see shouldn't be a problem. Benefits both parties.

I got the Garage at my Walmart for $68. I noticed they had the Toy Story sets out on the clearance Isle. But they didn't scan at the price checker and were $24.97 each at the register. Horrible prices on the TS sets with less then 200 pieces each.

[quote name='180husher']Everytime I buy something from S@H, they send me a follow-up email asking me to check out their 25 best sellers...at least 15 of which are Star Wars.[/QUOTE]

which is sad...

[quote name='JAYMATIK']Which is the main reason why Star Wars will never die. They can keep on re-releasing old sets with updates and people will still buy. Of course, as long as LEGO can renew the licensing rights when it expires, which I see shouldn't be a problem. Benefits both parties.[/QUOTE]

And ultimately screws up every other theme and I hope they just go away. Maybe Lucas will go mad and have Mega Bloks do SW next....

I only picked up two sets, the V19 torrent and the other massive white beast and only because of the pieces and the price point when Walmart clearenced them out.

[quote name='xycury']
And ultimately screws up every other theme and I hope they just go away.[/QUOTE]

Do you really need more sets to buy? I find it hard enough to keep up with the stuff I want as it is, I definitely don't need Star Wars to go away so they can fill those spots with other sets.

I like the Star Wars stuff in general, but I don't love it. I'd find it a lot more manageable to collect if the prices were better, and if I could ever find them at good prices on clearance.

On another tangent, I'm finding the 2010 sets to be pretty relatively lame. I don't care about Prince of Persia, Atlantis, Toy Story, or World Racers. Pirates is done, for now, which is sad. Agents is apparently dead, which sucks. The only thing I really care about is the new Castle stuff, and I'm not sure that I'll like it any better than the previous Fantasy theme. Oh well, I guess it's just more money for me to save up to get the Imperial Flagship and Fire Brigade.

[quote name='JAYMATIK']Which is the main reason why Star Wars will never die. They can keep on re-releasing old sets with updates and people will still buy. Of course, as long as LEGO can renew the licensing rights when it expires, which I see shouldn't be a problem. Benefits both parties.[/QUOTE]

Indeed. Or, in my case, someone who wasn't into this stuff for a long time who will definitely buy re-released stuff. I was looking at the visual dictionary, and there's a ton of older stuff I would not hesitate to buy if they brought them out again. As long as it sells, they are gonna keep it making it.

[quote name='BingoBrown']Do you really need more sets to buy? I find it hard enough to keep up with the stuff I want as it is, I definitely don't need Star Wars to go away so they can fill those spots with other sets.

I like the Star Wars stuff in general, but I don't love it. I'd find it a lot more manageable to collect if the prices were better, and if I could ever find them at good prices on clearance.

On another tangent, I'm finding the 2010 sets to be pretty relatively lame. I don't care about Prince of Persia, Atlantis, Toy Story, or World Racers. Pirates is done, for now, which is sad. Agents is apparently dead, which sucks. The only thing I really care about is the new Castle stuff, and I'm not sure that I'll like it any better than the previous Fantasy theme. Oh well, I guess it's just more money for me to save up to get the Imperial Flagship and Fire Brigade.[/QUOTE]

I just don't see having SW is a good thing for consumers. Allowing a license to jack up prices is ridiculous. What would happen if Lego gets the crazy idea that they can do it with all sets? TS is looking like it already is, and Persia is Disney owned too, I'm kinda waiting for the sticker price shock on those too.

I think some themes were definately ... asphyxiated?

I would be happier if they released maybe 4 impulses per theme, and about twice as many $10 & $20 sets than their standard 5 or 6 (3.5, 8-10, 15-20, 30, 50, 100)

I think the Creator series could use some general buffing, along with the buckets. They improved that just this last year though.

Castle was fleshed out well, but Pirate came and gone like the wind. Bioncle is being replaced by Lego Hero, boo, and Ben 10 which blows.

Atlantis is "ok"... but Kingdoms really is the only thing sticking with it for me for next year. I'm glad Space Police got another run, even though it's only 3 sets.

Racers isn't Agents, nor is it whatever they were going with this past year.

If they don't come out with more, and stick with sad SW, it's going to be a very anemic year for lego from my wallet.

That minifigure promotion though will drive me bonkers and I suppose it'll be the dumping ground of alot of my cash.

I'd actually imagine that the SW sets make it so more of the other sets are released, not less. Sure, if you think there is a definite # of sets they will release every year I can see your point, but SW adds to how profitable LEGO is which makes it so they can do more things. I don't really like the Agents sets, but I don't complain about it, and I don't just wish they would go away, I simply ignore them. SW may be harder to ignore, but I bet one could pull it off.

[quote name='xycury']That minifigure promotion though will drive me bonkers and I suppose it'll be the dumping ground of alot of my cash.[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, the minifig thing. Almost forgot about that. They may yet redeem 2010, depending on price point and how difficult/easy it is to get what I want. Okay, so Castle Kingdoms, blind packaged minifigs, Fire Brigade, and Imperial Flagship. Still a pretty weak year, but a little better than I was thinking.

[quote name='ackbar7']I'd actually imagine that the SW sets make it so more of the other sets are released, not less. Sure, if you think there is a definite # of sets they will release every year I can see your point, but SW adds to how profitable LEGO is which makes it so they can do more things. I don't really like the Agents sets, but I don't complain about it, and I don't just wish they would go away, I simply ignore them. SW may be harder to ignore, but I bet one could pull it off.[/QUOTE]

I don't know... ignore 27 different sets in 2009 was tough. That's like 3 different themes. 2010 already has 16 and it's not even 2010 yet.

[quote name='BingoBrown']Oh yeah, the minifig thing. Almost forgot about that. They may yet redeem 2010, depending on price point and how difficult/easy it is to get what I want. Okay, so Castle Kingdoms, blind packaged minifigs, Fire Brigade, and Imperial Flagship. Still a pretty weak year, but a little better than I was thinking.[/QUOTE]

Yeah my nephew wants the Fire Brigade... will have to see if it ever goes on sale. I do want the Imperial Flagship so it may be a long time before that ships to my house.

Kingdoms and the minfigs... plus the 3 new Space Police sets... oy boy! :applause:

Went to Walmart for the dump truck for $13.

$25 for 163 pieces is nuts, but that's where things are headed. $10 for 68 pieces, $20 for 140. It's a lot but that's LEGO.

Just came back from Walmart. Picked up bulldozer for $19. They had one Indy Chase for $14 which I almost bought, but didn't, the Indy Plane chase which I wanted more, but it was still more than I wanted to spend, some of the larger Agents sets which I didn't care for (seemed like they only took off $10-15 those), the City Garage was $79 which I did want but can't afford right now, dump truck was $17, the City Crane for $49 (I think), and a few more.

Interesting that the Walmart near you was $17. I thought the sales were nation wide.

The only 2009 set left in the store was the dump truck. The Ben 10 sets were $15, LEGO's price is $18.

[quote name='xycury']I just don't see having SW is a good thing for consumers. Allowing a license to jack up prices is ridiculous. What would happen if Lego gets the crazy idea that they can do it with all sets? TS is looking like it already is, and Persia is Disney owned too, I'm kinda waiting for the sticker price shock on those too.

I think some themes were definately ... asphyxiated?

[/QUOTE]

So Star Wars is the reason they aren't making more Belville sets? Damn Star Wars to hell I say.

license sets cost more. its why the people that say star wars will never end are wrong, a time will come when a landspeeder will cost $25 and sales fall.

oh wait..... :lol:

[quote name='180husher']So Star Wars is the reason they aren't making more Belville sets? Damn Star Wars to hell I say.[/QUOTE]

:lol:

But it's sad that when you think of Lego... it's SW... just wrong.

[quote name='bigdaddy']license sets cost more. its why the people that say star wars will never end are wrong, a time will come when a landspeeder will cost $25 and sales fall.

oh wait..... :lol:[/QUOTE]

indeed those sw fans will buy anything no matter the cost.

[quote name='xycury']
indeed those sw fans will buy anything no matter the cost.[/QUOTE]

True to a certain extent. I'm a big Star Wars fan, yet I have never gotten full into Star Wars Legos. I make the occassional purchase, but I definitely don't need every set. To be honest, I think a lot of the SW Lego sales are due to kids. Kids love Legos, and they love Star Wars. It's a match made in heaven.

I think that the LEGO employees (at least the ones who talk on blogs and such) are always pretty upfront about the fact that with the SW sets they have to sell them at a higher price per piece. I don't see it spreading to all the other sets.

[quote name='lordwow']I think that the LEGO employees (at least the ones who talk on blogs and such) are always pretty upfront about the fact that with the SW sets they have to sell them at a higher price per piece. I don't see it spreading to all the other sets.[/QUOTE]

You don't think Disney won't? They already have for a few sets in Toy Story.

And seeing how bland PoP sets are, I'm just waiting for sticker shock to kick in.

My wife wants the ostrich so one will be purchase probably at MSRP.

[quote name='xycury']You don't think Disney won't? They already have for a few sets in Toy Story.

And seeing how bland PoP sets are, I'm just waiting for sticker shock to kick in.

My wife wants the ostrich so one will be purchase probably at MSRP.[/QUOTE]

They already have. I saw the Buzz Light Year build set with 183 pieces for $24.97. It's pretty pricy per piece. So it appears that license is pretty costly.

I also looked at the city clearance sets. I got the patrol Boat and tower for $15. They had the dump truck for $13, I have one already was thinking of a second. They had tons of the dozer and crane too. Just one garage left for $69. The red "car" set with the phone was $7. Creator fire truck was $40.

[quote name='EvilIA']They already have. I saw the Buzz Light Year build set with 183 pieces for $24.97. It's pretty pricy per piece. So it appears that license is pretty costly.

I also looked at the city clearance sets. I got the patrol Boat and tower for $15. They had the dump truck for $13, I have one already was thinking of a second. They had tons of the dozer and crane too. Just one garage left for $69. The red "car" set with the phone was $7. Creator fire truck was $40.[/QUOTE]

Damn, I want the Patrol Boat and tower... :cry:

License sets are always going to cost more then the regular Town, Castle, etc sets because some of the money goes back to SW or TS or Batman or Harry Potter. This isn't exactly a rip off because one should know that they are paying a premium to have their build (and minifigs!) be from their favorite movie, book or whatever.

[quote name='lordwow'] I don't see it spreading to all the other sets.[/QUOTE]

It already is. It used to be license sets would cost more because of the license obviously, but look at the 2010 $10 sets.

The Power Miner and the Space Police sets are 10 for about 68 pieces. Times 68 by 2.5 and you get 170 pieces, about as many as in the Land Speeder, but at least the Star Wars sets has 4-5 minifigures.

The guy I went to the LEGO Kidfest with thinks I'm still a LEGO freak, I love them, but I much rather spend $10-$20 on a date than a set. I bought 5-6 sets this year and got 4 as gifts, all of which were 30% to 70% off. I can't remember the last time I bought a set for full price.

[quote name='DillDough']Imperial Flagship 10210 is available on S@H. The 5 per customer limit is rather amusing considering the price.[/QUOTE]

5 per customer? How will I build my Imperial Armada? ;)

[quote name='BingoBrown']5 per customer? How will I build my Imperial Armada? ;)[/QUOTE]

Obligatory:
IT'S A TRAP!!!

The IJ4 temple I think is the worse $90 set ever made. :lol:

It's just a horrible mess, poorly designed, poorly built. I question if LEGO even tested some of the features out before making the set.

However for $30 the minifigures and all the nice pieces makes it worth it.

[quote name='bigdaddy']The IJ4 temple I think is the worse $90 set ever made. :lol:

It's just a horrible mess, poorly designed, poorly built. I question if LEGO even tested some of the features out before making the set.

However for $30 the minifigures and all the nice pieces makes it worth it.[/QUOTE]

Where did you find it for $30? Related question, anyone think the Temple of Doom set is worth the full price? I've noticed it's basically gone from almost every retailer and selling for quite a bit more on Amazon. I found a set for full price but I'm debating on whether it's really worth nearly $100 after tax.

[quote name='etcrane']Where did you find it for $30? Related question, anyone think the Temple of Doom set is worth the full price? I've noticed it's basically gone from almost every retailer and selling for quite a bit more on Amazon. I found a set for full price but I'm debating on whether it's really worth nearly $100 after tax.[/QUOTE]

I really don't think so, it the track was maybe in a circle... Or you could buy extra track later to do it... then maybe.

Doesn't WM have it discounted? or maybe was I imagining it?

MEANWHILE at Target:

Picked up 2 power miner sets, one 30, other 50 off. 8958 and 8959 respectively. Also picked up SP 5970 30% off, they had at least 30 of them total at both locations... CRAZY RIDICULOUS!?!

target also had a good selection on 2010.... TS, City, Racer, and Creator. Was going to pick up a few at MSRP, but finding cheaper legos took priority. They'll be there for a while. I did pick up the black car/person City set, small set for $5. It's a tad more than an impulse but not too bad on the piece count. minifig is actually nice too.

Also stopped at my local WM, still have like 25 sets of that $7 red car.... they must have found a whole cache full of that robo attack set, or people return/rebuy, but I picked up the last 2 the other day?!... BUT I did manage to find one set, Agents 2.0 8969 for only $21. wasn't marked, no flag or sticker, just one hell of a beat up box.

They still had a couple BIG sets at 30% off, but well, hoping they will go lower, no idea when.

I have one more WM to check... it's a hick-ville one so either i'll be super surprised or super lamed to death.

Well I'm still waiting for those minifig surprise bags... when were they getting here? Spring? ugh... too long.

[quote name='xycury']I really don't think so, it the track was maybe in a circle... Or you could buy extra track later to do it... then maybe.

Doesn't WM have it discounted? or maybe was I imagining it?
[/QUOTE]

xycury, bigdaddy is talking about the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull temple, not the Temple of Doom temple.

The Crystal Skull temple was originally $80. I got it for $20 at Target after Christmas last year. It's not great, but I don't think it's terrible either.

He knows that, we were talking about both temples at once.

etcrane wants the set with the train tracks and was asking if it was worth it, I'd too go with probably not, but I rarely think a $90 was worth it.

[quote name='BingoBrown']xycury, bigdaddy is talking about the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull temple, not the Temple of Doom temple.

The Crystal Skull temple was originally $80. I got it for $20 at Target after Christmas last year. It's not great, but I don't think it's terrible either.[/QUOTE]

Indeed I was talking to etcrane about Doom.

CS Temple I picked up for my nephew was 35 at WM last last xmas now.

[quote name='bigdaddy']He knows that, we were talking about both temples at once.

etcrane wants the set with the train tracks and was asking if it was worth it, I'd too go with probably not, but I rarely think a $90 was worth it.[/QUOTE]

Ineed, most 90 isn't worth it, and that Temple Doom set isn't worth no more than 40-50 for it.

The store in the timbucktoo, may be your best bet....driving from CA, we stopped by a Walmart in the middle of nowhere, and it was the only one that the most selection. Was able to pick up a lot of the sets for 50% off. I found that construction set for 50.00 today at Walmart. I bought it, but I'm not sure if we really want it....would rather have that Power Miner Titanium Rig or Galactic Enforcer, but those are still at 69.00. All the Targets I've visited literally have nothing on the shelves.

Yeah, I'm having a tough time justifying the cost ... it would be one thing if I knew that LEGO would be supporting that track size in the future, but as it is right now that's a huge if and I'm not sure I can justify paying that much for a set that while cool isn't really revolutionary per se. Oh well, maybe Prince of Persia will make me forget all about the end of the IJ line.

[quote name='etcrane']Yeah, I'm having a tough time justifying the cost ... it would be one thing if I knew that LEGO would be supporting that track size in the future, but as it is right now that's a huge if and I'm not sure I can justify paying that much for a set that while cool isn't really revolutionary per se. Oh well, maybe Prince of Persia will make me forget all about the end of the IJ line.[/QUOTE]

In the November-December issue of Brickmaster there's an interview on page 19 with model designer Hans Henrik Sidenius who designed Temple of Doom. According to the interview, LEGO seems like they want to move from the old track system which is 8 modules wide to the new track system which is 6 modules. Since it is more narrow, it will open up new possibilities for building tracks for trains and vehicles. I think it's safe to assume that the future is good for the track system found in the IJ Temple of Doom set.

[quote name='JAYMATIK']In the November-December issue of Brickmaster there's an interview on page 19 with model designer Hans Henrik Sidenius who designed Temple of Doom. According to the interview, LEGO seems like they want to move from the old track system which is 8 modules wide to the new track system which is 6 modules. Since it is more narrow, it will open up new possibilities for building tracks for trains and vehicles. I think it's safe to assume that the future is good for the track system found in the IJ Temple of Doom set.[/QUOTE]

Narrower track means less stability for trains especially at higher speeds. And those new trains coming out look very similar to the sets from this year so I doubt they are going to incorporate this new track into any useful train sets. Part of me wants to buy the Doom set because the Indy line is gone and I would like to have as many as possible...but when I was looking at the box in Walmart and it scanned for $64, I just couldn't justify the pieces for that price. Looks like a big, awkward play set that you can only play with one way...roll the mine cart down the track.

My son and I built the Shangia Chase set yesterday, and say what you will about the Indy sets, but they make some great old car/truck models. Building these cars makes me want to create a Prohibition/mobsters MOC!

TRU ad this week has three city sets for 33% off...the construction roller, the wind turbine transport, and the farm.

Wind turbine transport for $40 is a good deal as its a pretty cool set and I don't think that set had it's price jacked up.

Funny thing is the ad says prices from $21.43 to $60.29. But the website says the Farm is $66.xx and I remember a TRU store with the farm at over $100. Look like the ad price is from the original farm price before they jacked up all the prices 2 or 3 weeks ago.

Anybody have any TRU coupons floating around out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back