Feedback
25 (100%)
Master topic for Lego Dimensions. 

Starter Packs are $99.99 on :ps4: :xb1: :360: :ps3: :wiiu:

Remeber,

Best Buy: 20% GCU Discount

Breakdown of products that release on 9/27:

Starter Pack:

Starter Pack includes LEGO Dimensions video game, LEGO Toy Pad, bricks to build the LEGO Gateway, Batman, Gandalf and Wyldstyle LEGO Minifigures and LEGO Batmobile vehicle.

MSRP: $99.99

Order: Best Buy, Amazon, Walmart, Target, Toys R Us

Level Packs (Level Packs contain a single character, a gadget/vehicle, and a new level that corresponds to that character), MSRP is $29.99:

The Simpsons

The Simpsons Level Pack, which includes a Homer, Homer's Car and the Taunt-o-Vision

Order from Best Buy, AmazonTarget, Toys R Us

Back to The Future

Back to the Future Level Pack, which includes a Marty McFly Minifigure, DeLorean Time Machine and Hoverboard

Order: Best Buy, Amazon, Walmart, Target, Toys R Us

Portal 2

Portal 2 Level Pack, which includes a Chell Minifigure, Sentry Turret and Companion Cube.

Order from Best Buy, AmazonTarget

Team Packs (Team packs come with 2 characters and a combination of 2 different vehicles and/or gadgets) MSRP is $24.99:

Jurassic World

Jurassic World Team Pack, which includes Owen and ACU mini figures, Gyrosphere and a Velociraptor.

Order from Best Buy, Amazon, Target, Toys R Us

Scooby-Doo!

Scooby-Doo! Team Pack, which includes Scooby-Doo and Shaggy mini figures, Mystery Machine and Scooby Snack.

Order from Best Buy, Amazon, Walmart, Target, Toys R Us

Fun Packs (Fun packs contain a single character and a single gadget or vehicle that corresponds to that character.) MSRP $14.99. Note: The links go to Best Buy unless noted.

DC Comics Wonder Woman
DC Comics Cyborg

The Lord of the Rings: Gimli
The Lord of the Rings: Legolas
The Lord of the Rings: Gollum

The LEGO Movie Emmet
The LEGO Movie Bad Cop
The LEGO Movie Benny

LEGO Ninjago Jay Toys R Us Timed Exclusive
LEGO Ninjago Nya
LEGO Ninjago Zane

The Wizard of Oz The Wicked Witch

LEGO Legends of Chima Laval Toys R Us Link
LEGO Legends of Chima Cragger
LEGO Legends of Chima Eris

Last edited by a moderator:
i really wonder how popular some sets are going to be. I'm gonna pick up the Portal set tomorrow because I really want it, but don't see it being a set they continue to produce for very long. Maybe I'm just paranoid from collecting amiibo though and would hate for it to end up discontinued sooner than the others.

The fact that the minifigures are normal minifigures is the part that makes me think it's cooler.
That's actually one of my problems with the approach this game is taking.

On non-dimensions enabled figures, I have already spent mountains of cash on Lego Batman and Lego Simpsons stuff. I've also already purchased the non-dimensions Lego Ghostbusters and Back to the Future sets. The fact that none of these lego products can be used with the new game wouldn't be too terrible if not for the fact that Lego is recycling sooooo much toy content with this new game.

Unlike Skylanders or Disney Infinity, which have to create new physical products for almost every single character (there are a few variants), lego is taking the lazy way out and releasing many of the Dimensions sets with mini-figures that are absolutely identical to mini-figures that have already been released in previous sets. So, the incentive to go and spend more money on something you, kind of, already own is not very high for people that are currently avid fans of lego.

If Dimensions were being handled better, we'd see these sets coming with unique variations of the characters that hadn't been done yet in previous sets.

For example:

Batman = Lego version of Arkham Asylum Batman

Doc and Marty = Future clothes Doc and Marty or Cowboy clothes Doc and Marty

Homer and Bart = Lego Episode variants where their heads are more like regular lego heads

Ghostbusters = Wearing the grey GBII costumes

See... see how much more excited that would make me to part with my money. As it is, I'm waiting for clearance.

That's actually one of my problems with the approach this game is taking.
Agreed. I'm actually really excited about this game but I don't think any of the builds, if you can even call them that succeed at anything. They

're too simple to look appealing or warrant play off the base and they don't even use custom pieces that might be useful as part of a lego fan's collection.

They really should have put more effort into the DLC sets so that they were more than just a novelty. That said, the idea that there's 3 builds per item that has it's own upgrades is interesting and is likely the reason for all the generic bricks. Personally, I'd have preferred one good build instead of 3 bad ones but it's easy to see that Lego was trying to push the whole toy aspect of their game and it's hard to blame them considering Infinity and Skylanders failed pretty hard at that IMO.

I purchased every skylanders and both infinity 1 and 2.  But my kid just never plays these even if I try and offer to play with him.  The last straw for me was Disney 2.0, which he didn't touch for more than 15 minutes and I got him two separate level packs,  and addition single figures. 

But I have caved with Dimensions.  We all know this toy/game is borderline criminal.  Especially since we have played the lego games for years and they include tons of characters.  Only now they know they can just screw us and make us buy all this crap.  He loves Back to the Future and Simpsons so that was the tipping point for me.   It also helped that I got 200 bucks in reward credits from 4 canceled batmobile additions. 

Having those variants doesn't make sense. It'd mean a less iconic version of the character in game.

Future sets can come with the NFC chip instead, and you can forego buying repeats. That'd probably be ok. But then it might raise the price of sets, and people still won't be happy.

Basically, they can't please everyone, but I think they took the safest route.

The figures and bricks are just regular LEGO pieces, nothing special. There is a round tag that the figures and bricks attach to that stores the data. The real life LEGO pieces attached to the tags do not affect the game in any way. Technically you could store the LEGO pieces and just use the tags.

The figures and bricks are just regular LEGO pieces, nothing special. There is a round tag that the figures and bricks attach to that stores the data. The real life LEGO pieces attached to the tags do not affect the game in any way. Technically you could store the LEGO pieces and just use the tags.
Shame - a real life Banjo-Kazooie Nuts & Bolts wiuld have been the breath of fresh air the genre needed.

Thinking about getting into this since my kid is a lego fanatic, but cant decide if I should be looking at the Wii U (his system of choice and with more games for him), the PS4, or the XBox One. We have played multiple LEGO games on all 3 systems and the quality difference on graphics and gameplay is so little that Im sure he wouldnt mind, but from past LEGO games (like LEGO Batman 3) the DLC or the Season pass was not offered on the Wii U system.

We never got into Skylanders or Disney Infinity but this is more our venue, any advice/thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Wait so let me get this straight, and if I am wrong, please anyone feel free to correct me. For about $100 I can buy a lego game that allows me to play with three characters, and allow me to play on a number of levels, some of them within limits if I don't buy the "other" level packs for around $30. Not to mention if I want to play with other characters I have to buy their "packs" So if I want to experience the whole lego dimensions world, I am looking at around $200-$300.

Compare that to Lego Marvel Super Heroes and their total number of characters and numerous levels, and other lego games, all for around $20-$40. Am I missing something here?

I mean it is a great idea from these corporations. "Hey, lets make a new game, and only give the players a few characters, and in order to play with the other characters they need to buy them separately. But they won't know they are being shaq-fu so bad, because we will disguise the purchasable characters as TOYS!!!!! Its FANTASTIC, they will love it!"
It's actually $650 total for everything.

$100 for the starter pack

5 $30 Level Packs

4 $25 Team Packs

26 $15 Fun Packs

All different content.

At least it'd be $520 total buying it all with GCU from Best Buy.

So yeah, it's a total ripoff compared to all of the other Lego games. It's a fraction of the content for literally 10x the price.

Is there at least something akin to the Toy Box mode on Infinity? If ever a game could make use of a level editor, it's this one.

I picked up the starter set, BTTF pack, and Simpsons pack from Best Buy using a friends GCU card, so I saved a decent amount with that. Oddly enough I saw no other Lego Dimensions stuff for sale at Best Buy unless I missed it. Went to TRU after and got the exclusive Ninjago charactet and Sooby Doo to get a $10 gift card. Not terrible.

Worst experience ever @BestBuy... Keep in mind I come from Blockbuster Video so I know first hand about dying brick and mortar business. Went to Bestbuy @ 4PM with my wife and kid to pick up the Lego dimension starter pack I preorder at the store. I didn't preorder the mini figures because I figure that I can just have my son look at them and he can pick out 2 sets. I go to the game aisle first to pick up the mini figures and the fixture is set up really pretty with the Lego dimensions signs and tags but empty, no product. My wife then says to me maybe they are sold out? I pull out my phone and search the part numbers and guess what? All of them say "in stock @ that store". I go to the counter and pick up my starter pack and tell the girl at the end, "hey by the way do you guys have any packs available to buy? Do you have them behind the counter for theft reasons? She says you mean the Amiibos? (That's a different conversation on how employee at that store don't know any of their products) I made her look it up on her computer to see what I was referring to. She says," Oh I do which one do you want?(with an attitude) I told her I wanted to see options and look at the box to pick. She then says that won't be possible that I had to pick one. Confused as a turtle eating a hamburger I told her Please let me speak with a manager. With anger and attitude she pages a manager on her little ear piece. After 20 minutes on me bitching about the service @ that particular store to my wife a manager come out. Same shit have to explain to a MANAGER what I was looking for. I'll speed the story up and just tell you that the product was in the back in totes with big signs on the side saying "DO NOT STREET UNTIL SEPTEMBER 27" I tell the manager don't you want my money? What if you had customers that came in the morning looking for these but didn't say anything because they thought it was sold out? They walk down the street to target to get them? He looks at me like I just gave him the hardest algebra question mix with chemistry. He then says pick your figures and take them to the cashier and tell them XXXXXX said to give you 20% off. At this point I just took bad cop and the Simpsons and left straight to the cashier. I let my GCU kick in and the said XXXXXXX said to give me 20% off. I was expecting a brain over load from them trying to figure out how to do it and bam that was it.
I'm done with Bestbuy and GCU. I'm done trying to give business to brick and mortar because I support them. Don't get me wrong I love GCU but it's not worth the aggravation these idiots at Bestbuy treat you. I guess I'll start looking at Targets red card promo. Anyway just venting thank you for listening.

Worst experience ever @BestBuy... Keep in mind I come from Blockbuster Video so I know first hand about dying brick and mortar business. Went to Bestbuy @ 4PM with my wife and kid to pick up the Lego dimension starter pack I preorder at the store. I didn't preorder the mini figures because I figure that I can just have my son look at them and he can pick out 2 sets. I go to the game aisle first to pick up the mini figures and the fixture is set up really pretty with the Lego dimensions signs and tags but empty, no product. My wife then says to me maybe they are sold out? I pull out my phone and search the part numbers and guess what? All of them say "in stock @ that store". I go to the counter and pick up my starter pack and tell the girl at the end, "hey by the way do you guys have any packs available to buy? Do you have them behind the counter for theft reasons? She says you mean the Amiibos? (That's a different conversation on how employee at that store don't know any of their products) I made her look it up on her computer to see what I was referring to. She says," Oh I do which one do you want?(with an attitude) I told her I wanted to see options and look at the box to pick. She then says that won't be possible that I had to pick one. Confused as a turtle eating a hamburger I told her Please let me speak with a manager. With anger and attitude she pages a manager on her little ear piece. After 20 minutes on me bitching about the service @ that particular store to my wife a manager come out. Same shit have to explain to a MANAGER what I was looking for. I'll speed the story up and just tell you that the product was in the back in totes with big signs on the side saying "DO NOT STREET UNTIL SEPTEMBER 27" I tell the manager don't you want my money? What if you had customers that came in the morning looking for these but didn't say anything because they thought it was sold out? They walk down the street to target to get them? He looks at me like I just gave him the hardest algebra question mix with chemistry. He then says pick your figures and take them to the cashier and tell them XXXXXX said to give you 20% off. At this point I just took bad cop and the Simpsons and left straight to the cashier. I let my GCU kick in and the said XXXXXXX said to give me 20% off. I was expecting a brain over load from them trying to figure out how to do it and bam that was it.
I'm done with Bestbuy and GCU. I'm done trying to give business to brick and mortar because I support them. Don't get me wrong I love GCU but it's not worth the aggravation these idiots at Bestbuy treat you. I guess I'll start looking at Targets red card promo. Anyway just venting thank you for listening.
Mistakes happen, don't have to be a huge dick about it.

Exactly why Bestbuy losing business. I have never seen a business so badly managed as Bestbuy. At least Target, Walmart are on the same page and every store is consistent. You think 1 target in the USA didn't have the Lego dimensions in stock by the morning? No because they are managed consistently.

I love that he expects a store that does most of its business in home theaters to have all its employees know about every new game. Let alone the girl there to fix printers or the guy that knows all about car stereos. You know they have to field questions about dishwashers and mounting speakers to drywall too, right?

I understand when people complain about gamestop employees not knowing their games, but even then I'm a huge game nerd who checks here and neogaf daily and there's stuff that's not on my radar. The internet means most consumers know far more about a product they're interested in than some teenager mindlessly punching the clock until he can crack some whipits in the parking lot on his break.

I love that he expects a store that does most of its business in home theaters to have all its employees know about every new game. Let alone the girl there to fix printers or the guy that knows all about car stereos. You know they have to field questions about dishwashers and mounting speakers to drywall too, right?
I understand when people complain about gamestop employees not knowing their games, but even then I'm a huge game nerd who checks here and neogaf daily and there's stuff that's not on my radar. The internet means most consumers know far more about a product they're interested in than some teenager mindlessly punching the clock until he can crack some whipits in the parking lot on his break.
Actually the only thing I expect is for management to do their job and check the fucking planograms before opening the store. I can care less about some teenager not knowing the product but come on, have some common customer service skills and say, "let me get someone for you to help with this. ( gets an expert or someone that is familiar with the that department. If the planograms would of been done do you think I would be bitching? No I wouldn't. ANY way I'm just venting about my experience and what I'm going to do. I'm not asking you guys to stop shopping at Bestbuy. Hmm and if your going to be a appliance and home theater company why push GCU? Why advertise that you can preorder games and employees have no clue?

So much anger. You got 20% off on top of GCU lol. I'm suspecting you went into the whole ordeal with a piss poor attitude and your tone made the girl at the counter respond with an "I'm tired of fucking customers like this" attitude. It's fucking video games, no need to get worked up about it like the hospital is refusing you service after a car wreck.

Exactly why Bestbuy losing business. I have never seen a business so badly managed as Bestbuy. At least Target, Walmart are on the same page and every store is consistent. You think 1 target in the USA didn't have the Lego dimensions in stock by the morning? No because they are managed consistently.
It's funny, the local Target I visited this morning had two employees staring at the Lego Dimensions display and they were complaining that whoever set up the display only put out the Xbox 360 version of the game and they couldn't find the PS4 version I asked for. They may be consistently managed, but I have had to have arguments with the manager twice in the last few months because their weekly ad listed deals they refused to honor because the register wasn't programmed properly (i.e. the B2G1 for Infinity 3.0 figures and the reserve a game and get a percentage off any game). I've never had BB not honor an advertised deal. Regardless, every retail store has its issues and Target, Best Buy and Walmart are no different.

3q39nz.jpeg

Worst experience ever @BestBuy... Keep in mind I come from Blockbuster Video so I know first hand about dying brick and mortar business. Went to Bestbuy @ 4PM with my wife and kid to pick up the Lego dimension starter pack I preorder at the store. I didn't preorder the mini figures because I figure that I can just have my son look at them and he can pick out 2 sets. I go to the game aisle first to pick up the mini figures and the fixture is set up really pretty with the Lego dimensions signs and tags but empty, no
Was this store in MD by chance? Because the BB I went to today was the exact same way, even for Superchargers. All the product was in baskets behind the registers, shelves were ready but nothing was placed out. We had reserved everything we wanted on line so we were able to pick it up no problem. But having worked retail, there are a lot of customers who, after not seeing what they want, would rather go to a different store than ask an employee. So there's a good chance they lost a few sales. It's been this way for nearly every game launch I've seen lately at BB. If I can order it on their website for online order I will as their instore is so horrible.

Was this store in MD by chance? Because the BB I went to today was the exact same way, even for Superchargers. All the product was in baskets behind the registers, shelves were ready but nothing was placed out. We had reserved everything we wanted on line so we were able to pick it up no problem. But having worked retail, there are a lot of customers who, after not seeing what they want, would rather go to a different store than ask an employee. So there's a good chance they lost a few sales. It's been this way for nearly every game launch I've seen lately at BB. If I can order it on their website for online order I will as their instore is so horrible.
No this was in Illinois, and unfortunately majority of customers don't even bother saying anything and walk out. The problem is that there is a Target, GameStop, Toys R us in the same block. If I was working retail and working at that bestbuy I would do everything in my power that I can control to make sure revenue does not leave the store. Also if I didn't say anything how long would it been ignored?

And thanks for assuming I was the rude customer, which in reality I have sympathy for retail workers because I used to be one. In my opinion why are you working customer service if you hate the customer? Keep in mind I'm basing this from the bestbuy I visited which is that same problem over and over. New releases are never put out on time including movies at this location all the time.

My best buy is usually just fine. In fact the BB I pre-ordered from called me (not an automated message) to let me know that they didnt receive any portal level packs due to some shipping delay, but i was more than welcome to pick up what they had in and they would call me when the other item came in. 

My BB  (Atlanta, Edgewood) didn't have a single thing out though they are going under a pretty big renovation. 

For those complaining about the cost. I agree the starter pack is a bit overpriced due to the claims that it's essentially a standard Lego game from a content point of view so you pay a 40 dollar up charge for the portal and Lego.

I look at the extra content  like Skylanders. You don't need near everything to play all the content but to use the figures you obviously have to buy them. Frankly, unless I'm missing something it doesn't look like there's nearly as much difference between the minifigs as there are the Skylanders so  it looks like getting everything is really not compelling to anyone but a completionist.

Finally, I haven't seen a full review of any but the preview videos of the character worlds looked quite substantial which add a lot more content to the original game. If someone has played around in one of the character worlds I'd love some impressions on whether it's any fun or not.

My BB (Florence, KY) didn't have anything out. The guy working electronics had no problem getting stuff out from the back, but it wasn't displayed for whatever reason.  Picked up the starter pack, Emmet fun pack, Jurassic World team pack, and Portal level pack. Downloading update now!

There will be plenty of deals on these. The market is too saturated and this is the last to come out this year, everyone has already blew their wads. I peeked into the back of a GS I was at an hour before closing and they had 3 piles 6 feet high of just Dimensions for any given console. All the pegs in front were still full, almost falling off in fact.

Don't get me wrong, I really want to play this, but I'll wait until I can drop $200 and get a ton of stuff.

Yeah, the clerk at Gamestop thought I was crazy when I said these will be available for half price (or at least BOGO) before the holidays.

We'll see how crazy I am.

The guy wasnt really being a dick. I don't know why its unreasonable to think that something that releases today would be on the shelf ready to buy.

My best buy is the same way. They fuck up a lot getting new release product on the shelf. if its a friday release forget about it. lol.

Then if you ask for it they just say "sorry if you didnt pre-order it you dont get it"

Then if you ask for it they just say "sorry if you didnt pre-order it you dont get it"
Eff that noise. Just whip out your phone, add it to cart, show them it's avail for In-Store P/U at this location and try to kindly ask, "Now do you mind finding it? Because all I have to do is press this button, then you'll HAVE to find it."

edit: and I agree that BB has really slipped off on new releases lately (Fri / Sun) ones. I was rage-filled when we rushed into the stores for DI 3.0 and Skylanders only to find out they were still in the back. This is something a 4 year old can't comprehend and they get all sad b/c you've promised them all week. If I was in charge of BB, I would make sure this never happens and whats left of their skimpy gaming department is still honorably upheld #MakeBestBuyGreatAgain

I bought the Portal pack because I don't know. I'm expecting there to be a big discount down the road so I'm not ready to pay retail for the game.

I just really wanted a Lego Portal gun I guess.

There are so many things LEGO could do with this and aren't. Sets could come with figure that work, or a code to unlock them. Same with the minifig series. They already throw in a code for LEGO online, or whatever that is, how much would it cost to throw in a code for the figure you get in the pack? Sure it isn't a licensed figure, but little bonuses like this would go a long way to convince me to get this game.

Does anyone know if the portals from the starter packs are interchangeable between the PS4 and Wii U (similar to Infinity and Skylanders)?  I can't decide what system to go with right now and would like the option of picking up just the game disc later without having to rebuy a starter pack.

@Jayrcee

It's the same rules as everything else....

PS4/PS3/Wii U are interchangeable.

Xbox One only works with itself.

Xbox 360 only works with itself.

There are so many things LEGO could do with this and aren't. Sets could come with figure that work, or a code to unlock them. Same with the minifig series. They already throw in a code for LEGO online, or whatever that is, how much would it cost to throw in a code for the figure you get in the pack? Sure it isn't a licensed figure, but little bonuses like this would go a long way to convince me to get this game.
Totally agree. This whole Dimensions thing seems to scattered and cuts into pre-existing product lines (physical and digital) in a messy way.

Finally, I haven't seen a full review of any but the preview videos of the character worlds looked quite substantial which add a lot more content to the original game. If someone has played around in one of the character worlds I'd love some impressions on whether it's any fun or not.
They're pretty fun, but I've only explored the DC world and the LEGO Movie world (still have to do Oz and LotR). They don't offer too much to do, other than completing minor tasks for people, like destroying 10 robots for Batman in the movie world or building statues that were demolished. And there's gold bricks all over the worlds which you have to collect to upgrade your vehicles. It can be a bit frustrating since you'll see the gold brick on the map but when you go there, you need such-and-such character to unlock it (because of a special ability). And there are races that you can complete. I haven't seen too many enemies running about though, sadly.

That said, flying around as Wonder Woman is like a dream come true. But flight in the games can be a bit broken during the story missions. And speaking of WW (and dissing Best Buy), my BB apparently did not even get Wonder Woman in. Literally the only character they didn't have, and my bf and I went early in the morning, so... but Target had all of them and I ended up having to pay full price for WW.

Decided to pick up the Starter Pack yesterday for the PS4 - helped that I had some myBB rewards to use up. My local Best Buy (Henrietta, NY) had a nice display setup right next to the upcoming Guitar Hero Live display. I don't plan on picking up many of these "packs" besides the Portal (being shipped atm) and Doctor Who level packs.

So far I'm enjoying the game and it is quite humorous! I find that using moving the minifigs in different sections on the portal to solve some light puzzles (and a boss fight) to be pretty interesting but I can see it becoming annoying if used more frequently. 

bread's done
Back