Feedback
25 (100%)
Master topic for Lego Dimensions. 

Starter Packs are $99.99 on :ps4: :xb1: :360: :ps3: :wiiu:

Remeber,

Best Buy: 20% GCU Discount

Breakdown of products that release on 9/27:

Starter Pack:

Starter Pack includes LEGO Dimensions video game, LEGO Toy Pad, bricks to build the LEGO Gateway, Batman, Gandalf and Wyldstyle LEGO Minifigures and LEGO Batmobile vehicle.

MSRP: $99.99

Order: Best Buy, Amazon, Walmart, Target, Toys R Us

Level Packs (Level Packs contain a single character, a gadget/vehicle, and a new level that corresponds to that character), MSRP is $29.99:

The Simpsons

The Simpsons Level Pack, which includes a Homer, Homer's Car and the Taunt-o-Vision

Order from Best Buy, AmazonTarget, Toys R Us

Back to The Future

Back to the Future Level Pack, which includes a Marty McFly Minifigure, DeLorean Time Machine and Hoverboard

Order: Best Buy, Amazon, Walmart, Target, Toys R Us

Portal 2

Portal 2 Level Pack, which includes a Chell Minifigure, Sentry Turret and Companion Cube.

Order from Best Buy, AmazonTarget

Team Packs (Team packs come with 2 characters and a combination of 2 different vehicles and/or gadgets) MSRP is $24.99:

Jurassic World

Jurassic World Team Pack, which includes Owen and ACU mini figures, Gyrosphere and a Velociraptor.

Order from Best Buy, Amazon, Target, Toys R Us

Scooby-Doo!

Scooby-Doo! Team Pack, which includes Scooby-Doo and Shaggy mini figures, Mystery Machine and Scooby Snack.

Order from Best Buy, Amazon, Walmart, Target, Toys R Us

Fun Packs (Fun packs contain a single character and a single gadget or vehicle that corresponds to that character.) MSRP $14.99. Note: The links go to Best Buy unless noted.

DC Comics Wonder Woman
DC Comics Cyborg

The Lord of the Rings: Gimli
The Lord of the Rings: Legolas
The Lord of the Rings: Gollum

The LEGO Movie Emmet
The LEGO Movie Bad Cop
The LEGO Movie Benny

LEGO Ninjago Jay Toys R Us Timed Exclusive
LEGO Ninjago Nya
LEGO Ninjago Zane

The Wizard of Oz The Wicked Witch

LEGO Legends of Chima Laval Toys R Us Link
LEGO Legends of Chima Cragger
LEGO Legends of Chima Eris

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm waiting just cause I have enough to play at the moment as it is. But like I said, I did pick up figures only available in Lego Dimensions, in case they do disappear. Though if it goes on sale, I'm putting a bunch of Lego Turrets on my desk, and having fun with a bunch of Chells going in and coming out of places.
How many did you buy? :shock:

So has anyone seen shortage of certain packs yet? Went to Target last night and only level pack they had was BBTS plus only a few Fun packs. BB had nothing out on release day, just had my preorder ready so I left with that. I heard some BB got shortchanged on DC stuff, any truth? Or has everything seemed well stocked.

I just wanted to make a few comments and an observation:

Is this the same typical TT Lego game? Yes.

Is it fun? Yes, just like the typical TT Lego game.

Expensive? No more than typical Lego toys to me. Cost is probably on point with Lego pricing.

Of course this is all opinion. I just picked up the game and the Scooby pack. The kids and I are loving it.

My observation is that in one of the cut scenes early on I believe someone wielded a dual lightsaber weapon. Star Wars foreshadowing?

This seems unlikely given that accessories make the console companies money, and they had no problem with three (maybe more) sets of plastic instruments being marketed last generation. And if Microsoft, for instance, says no, boom, Sony gets another exclusive and vice versa.
Plastic instruments were more of game and more unique. All the portals are just glorified NFC readers. And it seems to me toys2 life are here to stay in some form or another. And the technology of an NFC reader can be used for other things like scanning in digital codes.

And of course look what happened to plastic instruments. They went the way of the dodo bird.

PLus the console makers would sell the portals so they'd make money on them. And having a standard would get customers to buy even more accessories aka toys which means the console maker would make even more money.

Not saying this is all likely to happen anytime soon. Maybe next-gen this tech will be standard in all consoles.

Yeah I noticed the lightsaber too. But I don't think Star Wars characters will appear in this game given that Disney already has them in their rival toys-to-life title.

Yeah I noticed the lightsaber too. But I don't think Star Wars characters will appear in this game given that Disney already has them in their rival toys-to-life title.
I somewhat agree, but Lego already has the Star Wars license. Unless the game licensing deal has expired they should be able to add Star Wars at some point.

I somewhat agree, but Lego already has the Star Wars license. Unless the game licensing deal has expired they should be able to add Star Wars at some point.
Yeah, and Disney Infinity has Marvel characters but TT is still coming out with Lego Avengers next year.

I just wanted to make a few comments and an observation:

Is this the same typical TT Lego game? Yes.

Is it fun? Yes, just like the typical TT Lego game.

Expensive? No more than typical Lego toys to me. Cost is probably on point with Lego pricing.

Of course this is all opinion. I just picked up the game and the Scooby pack. The kids and I are loving it.

My observation is that in one of the cut scenes early on I believe someone wielded a dual lightsaber weapon. Star Wars foreshadowing?
I would think its not foreshadowing SW in the future. Mainly cause I'm thinking Disney wouldn't want to compete with the Toys-to-Life for DI and then LD. So I don't really see SW or Marvel showing up in this game, though I would like to see it. TT could still make seperate games, but as games that are part of the TTL genera I don't see happening.

At most I would say the packs are maybe $5 over priced, more so at TRU. I think about $12 is the smallest branded set you can get, but you get a little vehicle as well, this you get a minifigure, micro vehicle and the game pads. So an extra couple of $ is getting you game compatibility. I will prob go out and get the game, but only the few extra packs I want (Portal, BBTF, Cyborg, ect), but I'm sure my nephew would love this game and want more of the Ninjago and Chima sets.

Didn't see it mentioned, but directions to build the little doo-hickeys are in the game, not with the packs.  Wait, they were expecting me to buy the game? The "instruction" booklet is pretty much a brochure of everything else you can buy. Wait, they were expecting me to buy the game? I was able to guesstimate my little turret and companion cube for now. Also the portal gun is rubbery, not hard plastic. First world probems ...

Didn't see it mentioned, but directions to build the little doo-hickeys are in the game, not with the packs. Wait, they were expecting me to buy the game? The "instruction" booklet is pretty much a brochure of everything else you can buy. Wait, they were expecting me to buy the game? I was able to guesstimate my little turret and companion cube for now. Also the portal gun is rubbery, not hard plastic. First world probems ...
They did upload all the instructions on the web. Go to www . lego . com / en-us / dimensions / products and click the one you want. Then on the product page there should be three links under the image - buy, wishlist and instructions. And the instructions have each variable for the vehicles.

Best Buy GCU is a godsend for this game. I think I've made back the membership fee on Dimensions stuff alone in the past couple days lol.

I caved and got every piece with GCU, UGh whats wrong with me?. This is supposed to be CAG. The Lego pieces scattered on the table make it worth every penny!!
Disney owns itself
Disney owns Lego
Disney owns Star wars
Lego dimensions will cross dimensions with star wars its a given.
Disney competing with itself.

I caved and got every piece with GCU, UGh whats wrong with me?. This is supposed to be CAG. The Lego pieces scattered on the table make it worth every penny!!
Disney owns itself
Disney owns Lego
Disney owns Star wars
Disney doesn't own Lego

Disney owns itself
Disney owns Lego
Disney owns Star wars
Not that they are bad with stuff, but please don't give Disney any ideas about taking over Lego.

I need to waste some time right now because I don't wanna work and there's no drum banging allowed here. Instead I'm going to do a price breakdown on Lego Dimensions...are they too expensive or just more than we want to pay? Let's find out.

Let's start with a level pack. First we have a minifigure which is basically a "collectible minifigure". A couple years ago they started this idea of a minifigure with an accessory or two in a blind bag. There are 16 in a series and the price was recently raised to $3.99 (used to be $2.99). They have a variety of characters available From a genie to a punk rocker to a lawn gnome to the most recent set of Halloween Monsters and even two series of Simpsons minifigure. Here's an example:
71009-6.jpg

Worst. Example. Ever.

On to the two vehicles. Those are basically polybags, the things you see at the Target checkout. The come in everything from a Smoothie Stand to a mini Tie-Fighter to Go Kart to a Joker Bumper Car polybags for licensed sets have between 40 and 60 pieces. Taking a look at the models included I'd guess they clock in at around 40. So that's two polybags, which are $4.99 for licensed sets (they charge more because of licensing fees and sometimes they can be bought for $3.99). And another example:
30303-1.jpg

Now we are up to around $15 of the $30. Next we have DLC. Let's assume this is the hour and a half of content some people are reporting plus opening up that world and those characters to use. Any other game would charge between $5 and $10 for that content some $15. Now we are up to say $25 of the $30. Only thing left is three NFC bases. Are they worth the $5? No idea...not sure since I don't know enough about them to estimate the cost. Let's assume $1.00 each which puts us at $28 of $30. Not too far off.

Still with me? Then I'll assume you are slacking off at work to. Since you are still here let's do a $25 Team Pack. Two minifgures and two vehicles. Comes to around $18. The DLC (from what I understand, correct me if I'm wrong) allows the characters and vehicles to be used in other areas and opens up a related hub world. Skin packs frequently cost $1.99 so say $3 to $5 putting us at $22 plus 4 NFC bases puts us at $26 of $25.

Finally the Fun Pack. One minifgures and one vehicle, $8. DLC, $3 to $5 and two bases. $14.

Overall the packs seem to be around the expected cost (my estimates on the Lego cost is accurate, but the DLC is not...I don't buy many new games and I buy DLC real cheap...so if my numbers are off feel free to correct me.)

tl;dr: The cost is about right, but we all want to pay less.

...and even two series of Simpsons minifigure. Here's an example:
See here's how lost I get with this stuff. My kids buy the blind packs every so often and when the Simpsons ones came out I decided I would like to get a set of those. So I ended up with a lot of duplicates and learned how to tell what was what by feel until I got the whole set. I had no idea until just now that there were TWO series of them. I guess I got all the first ones and never even noticed the second set that came out. D'oh!

If they really wanted these to sell (or if they start stagnating), they can always do what they usually do with licensed sets, and put unique figures in.  Can't cost them that much to print, they already have a bunch of designs from stuff like the DC lego games, and I really, really, really just want a Shazam/Captain Marvel figure that's not an SDCC lottery exclusive. 

Indeed. Don't listen to that other guy. I have no idea who Owens and Zayn are. ;)
I hate to correct a guy on his own avatar...but...you are wrong. That's Kevin Owens, I can tell from his gut. And judging by the tan that is clearly Sami Zayn. Kevin Steen and El Generico? I mean relly...what kind of names are those?

tl;dr: The cost is about right, but we all want to pay less.
Totally agree. I think it's fair to complain about the cost of the DLC but it was good to point out the associated costs of minifigs and polybags. I'm still looking for decent reviews of the level packs and fun packs but I figure I'll get a couple with GCU and wait for the rest to go on sale or skip them altogether.

I'm really confused about how these work... so are these all completely new games or is there one main game to get and these just open up extra levels? I never got into Skylanders or Infinity, but I think I know how they work... Base game is in the starter pack and the extra characters open new things. Is that how Dimensions work also? (I was expecting more of an Amiibo model, where Dimensions work with existing Lego and vice versa. Otherwise, I'm confused why there are so many "starter packs", unlike Skylanders which just seems to have one each generation or iteration.)

In the end, my son loves Portal... in fact, Portal 2 to be exact. And so am I really looking at $100 just to play a few more Portal 2 levels? This is why I'm confused.

Base game with NFC base - $100

Fun packs (character + vehicle) - $15

Team packs (2 characters + 2 vehicles) - $30

Level packs (1 character + 2 vehicles + "DLC") - $25

So you need base game and Portal level pack, $125 before tax/GCU.

So part of my job is writing licensing agreements, and they tend to be extremely specific. The agreement can specify everything from the exact number of games they can make to exactly what constitutes a video game (in a way that would exclude the "toys to life" genre). But more relevant in this case is that the licensor (Disney) gets to control how their property is used. It's almost a given that the licensing agreement says LEGO has to be faithful to the Star Wars property in certain ways and can't mix in worlds or characters from other franchises -- which might be a problem for a game like Dimensions. I am guessing that for this reason alone the licensing deal would have to be renegotiated for Star Wars to be a possibility in Dimensions.

My walmart is pretty good with clearancing things. Usually how I get my lego sets for cheap. Maybe this game will continue as well. Either way, my backlog is hilarious and I've got nothing but time so no big loss for me if I never see it on clearance. Back to the Future would be cool tho.

Lego / WB were a little too sure of themselves when it came to price, thinking people will pay whatever they have to for this stuff. Guess they were wrong. $99 for the starter set and $15 for "Fun Packs" is a joke. And it's clear people aren't biting. If Lego doesn't take the whole "Toys to Life" thing down with it, then it will at least be the last in, first out. I've never seen the shelves so neat and untouched for any of these types of products before. And it's not because they are being constantly refilled and straightened up. Skylanders and Infinity are always a mess at my store.

I'm really confused about how these work... so are these all completely new games or is there one main game to get and these just open up extra levels? I never got into Skylanders or Infinity, but I think I know how they work... Base game is in the starter pack and the extra characters open new things. Is that how Dimensions work also? (I was expecting more of an Amiibo model, where Dimensions work with existing Lego and vice versa. Otherwise, I'm confused why there are so many "starter packs", unlike Skylanders which just seems to have one each generation or iteration.)

In the end, my son loves Portal... in fact, Portal 2 to be exact. And so am I really looking at $100 just to play a few more Portal 2 levels? This is why I'm confused.
You pretty much got it, although I'm not sure how they would have made the game compatible with current Lego, everything pretty much revolves around the NFC chips in the base, those are the main thing. Plus, their Lego, Legos are always compatible with other Legos.
So each property, whether it be a fun, level or team pack, opens their individual free roam world. Those world's have missions and things to collect. You can also play with any of those characters anywhere in the game.
The level packs also have their own level, which yes, can be short at about 30 min to an hour, depending on how much you do. Only done Simpsons so far and enjoyed it.

Target was fully stocked of everything
I happened to stop at a Target yesterday too and I couldn't believe how full the shelves were for Dimensions.

As someone else pointed out, their cockiness of pricing everything so high seems to be really biting them in the ass.

So part of my job is writing licensing agreements, and they tend to be extremely specific. The agreement can specify everything from the exact number of games they can make to exactly what constitutes a video game (in a way that would exclude the "toys to life" genre). But more relevant in this case is that the licensor (Disney) gets to control how their property is used. It's almost a given that the licensing agreement says LEGO has to be faithful to the Star Wars property in certain ways and can't mix in worlds or characters from other franchises -- which might be a problem for a game like Dimensions. I am guessing that for this reason alone the licensing deal would have to be renegotiated for Star Wars to be a possibility in Dimensions.
And don't forget that the previous LEGO games were made in partnership with Lucas and not Disney. I would think any working relationship with the brand and WB was probably dissolved during the sale since WB is a direct competitor in the gaming space. As controlling as Disney can be though I doubt LEGO games would have ever happened if they had owned Star Wars at the time.

And don't forget that the previous LEGO games were made in partnership with Lucas and not Disney. I would think any working relationship with the brand and WB was probably dissolved during the sale since WB is a direct competitor in the gaming space. As controlling as Disney can be though I doubt LEGO games would have ever happened if they had owned Star Wars at the time.
Also keep in mind that EA has a very specific licensing deal with Star Wars games (except apparently in the mobile space). Which means that we probably will not see another SW Lego game for a while, unless some sort of new deal is cut and EA gets some of the profits.

Though it is telling that Marvel is also not included. I simply don't think Disney would allow their own properties to be used in a rival toys to life system (Lego) when they have their own with those same properties (Infinity). They know that SW and Marvel will move products unlike vitually anything else on the market

Though they're not games, Lego and Disney already have a partnership. There are Disney Princess Lego sets. Plus there are already Episode VII sets on shelves, clearly designed after the sale from Lucas.

The issue is not whether there will be future Lego Star Wars or Marvel games at all (there's already a Lego Avengers game scheduled for next year). The problem with Star Wars or Marvel appearing in Dimensions specifically is that it would be in direct competition with Disney Infinity.

The issue is not whether there will be future Lego Star Wars or Marvel games at all (there's already a Lego Avengers game scheduled for next year). The problem with Star Wars or Marvel appearing in Dimensions specifically is that it would be in direct competition with Disney Infinity.
Disney may not see it as competition. More Star Wars and more Marvel products on the shelf is good for business.

Disney may not see it as competition. More Star Wars and more Marvel products on the shelf is good for business.
Well, we'll see.

Lego Disney Princesses appearing in Dimensions would be amazing though. Uh, I mean, my daughters would love it. I myself would be completely disinterested. :whistle2:

Well, we'll see.

Lego Disney Princesses appearing in Dimensions would be amazing though. Uh, I mean, my daughters would love it. I myself would be completely disinterested. :whistle2:
It is strange that the princesses have such a minimal DI presence. There is Elsa, Anna and Mulan (though she is more warrior than princess) and that is it. Seems like there would be a market for more of them.

It is strange that the princesses have such a minimal DI presence. There is Elsa, Anna and Mulan (though she is more warrior than princess) and that is it. Seems like there would be a market for more of them.
I seem to recall Rapunzel swinging a frying pan.

The official group of Disney Princesses is:

Snow White

Cinderella

Aurora

Ariel

Belle

Rapunzel

Merida

Jasmine

Mulan

Pocahontas

Tiana

That was from memory, I'm going to check myself after I post.

ETA: Hell yeah! Manliness proven.

http://disneyprincess.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Disney_Princesses
I was going to point out the omission of Jane Porter from Tarzan because I remember her being listed as the least popular princess at one point. Going over the link you posted it clearly states that Jane was included as a princess at one point and removed due to a lawsuit from the IP holder's estate. Good source!

I vote for Princess Leia and Queen Amidala to make it to that list. It will make my daughter's acceptance of Star Wars much easier.

bread's done
Back