Feedback
25 (100%)
Master topic for Lego Dimensions. 

Starter Packs are $99.99 on :ps4: :xb1: :360: :ps3: :wiiu:

Remeber,

Best Buy: 20% GCU Discount

Breakdown of products that release on 9/27:

Starter Pack:

Starter Pack includes LEGO Dimensions video game, LEGO Toy Pad, bricks to build the LEGO Gateway, Batman, Gandalf and Wyldstyle LEGO Minifigures and LEGO Batmobile vehicle.

MSRP: $99.99

Order: Best Buy, Amazon, Walmart, Target, Toys R Us

Level Packs (Level Packs contain a single character, a gadget/vehicle, and a new level that corresponds to that character), MSRP is $29.99:

The Simpsons

The Simpsons Level Pack, which includes a Homer, Homer's Car and the Taunt-o-Vision

Order from Best Buy, AmazonTarget, Toys R Us

Back to The Future

Back to the Future Level Pack, which includes a Marty McFly Minifigure, DeLorean Time Machine and Hoverboard

Order: Best Buy, Amazon, Walmart, Target, Toys R Us

Portal 2

Portal 2 Level Pack, which includes a Chell Minifigure, Sentry Turret and Companion Cube.

Order from Best Buy, AmazonTarget

Team Packs (Team packs come with 2 characters and a combination of 2 different vehicles and/or gadgets) MSRP is $24.99:

Jurassic World

Jurassic World Team Pack, which includes Owen and ACU mini figures, Gyrosphere and a Velociraptor.

Order from Best Buy, Amazon, Target, Toys R Us

Scooby-Doo!

Scooby-Doo! Team Pack, which includes Scooby-Doo and Shaggy mini figures, Mystery Machine and Scooby Snack.

Order from Best Buy, Amazon, Walmart, Target, Toys R Us

Fun Packs (Fun packs contain a single character and a single gadget or vehicle that corresponds to that character.) MSRP $14.99. Note: The links go to Best Buy unless noted.

DC Comics Wonder Woman
DC Comics Cyborg

The Lord of the Rings: Gimli
The Lord of the Rings: Legolas
The Lord of the Rings: Gollum

The LEGO Movie Emmet
The LEGO Movie Bad Cop
The LEGO Movie Benny

LEGO Ninjago Jay Toys R Us Timed Exclusive
LEGO Ninjago Nya
LEGO Ninjago Zane

The Wizard of Oz The Wicked Witch

LEGO Legends of Chima Laval Toys R Us Link
LEGO Legends of Chima Cragger
LEGO Legends of Chima Eris

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought the Portal pack because I don't know. I'm expecting there to be a big discount down the road so I'm not ready to pay retail for the game.

I just really wanted a Lego Portal gun I guess.
Yeah, this thing is bound to go on sale like a thousand times during the holidays to the new year so no point in paying full price at the moment.

So yeah, it's a total ripoff compared to all of the other Lego games. It's a fraction of the content for literally 10x the price.
Look, I'm not trying to be the Lego Dimensions Defense Force, and maybe I'm talking to a brick wall here, but... You're not just buying DLC here. You're getting actual, physical toys that can be played with independently from the video game. So it's not going to be as cheap as just buying a typical game and DLC.

A...lego brick wall?
Lol. I just mean I keep seeing this comparison over and over, that Lego Batman 3 or whatever came with XYZ characters and vehicles for only $59.99.

Someone show me the $59.99 version of Lego Batman 3 that came with physical Lego sets of the characters and vehicles. That would have been sweet.

You're not just buying DLC here. You're getting actual, physical toys that can be played with independently from the video game. So it's not going to be as cheap as just buying a typical game and DLC.
It's been a while since I bought Lego, so I don't know what the prices are like now, but it seems expensive even considering that. $30 for three little figures isn't exactly cheap.

How much play time do you get out of one level pack? I'm guessing maybe 3-5 hours at max?

Legos are not cheap toys. They are high quality though. My kids are currently playing with Legos that I played with 25 years ago.

From what I've read, the level packs come with one level that takes maybe an hour to complete. However, each character (whether it's from a level pack or just a "fun pack") unlocks the hub world for their IP. The hub worlds are not as big as the larger open worlds in some of the Lego games, but maybe like the size of the mini-hubs in Lego Movie or Batman 3, and they have sidequests and stuff. So probably a couple hours to clear those?

Have you not played Lego Batman 3? You can fly around as Wonder Woman in there already for much cheaper.
Except that you can only use specific characters in the story mode, whereas you can use any of the characters in this game's story mode.

Plus... invisible jet.

They're pretty fun, but I've only explored the DC world and the LEGO Movie world (still have to do Oz and LotR). They don't offer too much to do, other than completing minor tasks for people, like destroying 10 robots for Batman in the movie world or building statues that were demolished. And there's gold bricks all over the worlds which you have to collect to upgrade your vehicles. It can be a bit frustrating since you'll see the gold brick on the map but when you go there, you need such-and-such character to unlock it (because of a special ability). And there are races that you can complete. I haven't seen too many enemies running about though, sadly.

That said, flying around as Wonder Woman is like a dream come true. But flight in the games can be a bit broken during the story missions. And speaking of WW (and dissing Best Buy), my BB apparently did not even get Wonder Woman in. Literally the only character they didn't have, and my bf and I went early in the morning, so... but Target had all of them and I ended up having to pay full price for WW.
Thanks! It looks like the 81 metacritic comes from people who are saying the game design is tired save for all the interactive portal stuff but that for the most part the expansions and main game provide alot for the money. I'd say that it looks like the main portal is an investment and to get the most out of it you'd want to get a few fun packs for the extra dimensions and maybe a level pack or two.

Yeah, this thing is bound to go on sale like a thousand times during the holidays to the new year so no point in paying full price at the moment.
Plus the Doctor Who set isn't out. When I can get it on sale AND get the Doctor Who set, then I'll be sold.

Lol. I just mean I keep seeing this comparison over and over, that Lego Batman 3 or whatever came with XYZ characters and vehicles for only $59.99.

Someone show me the $59.99 version of Lego Batman 3 that came with physical Lego sets of the characters and vehicles. That would have been sweet.
I don't have the game anymore, but I have the Batwing kit that came with it for no additional cost.

Except that you can only use specific characters in the story mode, whereas you can use any of the characters in this game's story mode.

Plus... invisible jet.
Yeah, that's what sold me on Lego Dimensions. I've really wanted to get into Disney Infinity, but the Toy Box part doesn't grab me and the story stuff can only use certain character. I want to cross characters and worlds and I get that with Lego Dimensions.

Legos didn't used to be cheap toys. I played with my 80s/90s set for years, frequently, and they're still mostly great. The newer Lego pieces get loose or disconnect a lot easier.

But adjusting for inflation, Legos are actually cheaper now than back in the 80s/90s. Not counting really inflated ones like Jurassic World.

The non-licensed minifigures (latest being series 14) is $3.99 a figure.

The level packs do seem too expensive for too little content. The main game is $40 extra for 3 common figures, 200 small pieces, and an NFC reader.

Personally, I think the main game should have been $80, with a $100 "dark" version, a la Skylanders. The funpacks should have been like $12.99, the vehicle packs $24.99, and either lower the level packs, or give a much longer expansion.

Edit: As for using any character in any level, they can't use their powers just anywhere. Chell can't use her portal gun outside of the Portal expansion.

Yeah, that's what sold me on Lego Dimensions. I've really wanted to get into Disney Infinity, but the Toy Box part doesn't grab me and the story stuff can only use certain character. I want to cross characters and worlds and I get that with Lego Dimensions.
What's really sold me on Lego Dimensions is the various EXTRA stuff they're doing that Disney Infinity really isn't.
That Portal Level pack? That's got a brand new Jonathan Coulton and Ellen McLain song.
The Dr. Who pack? It's voiced by Peter Capaldi and Jenna Coleman. Where lots of the Disney Infinity stuff feels like "lazy cashgrab of repurposed art assets", there seems to be a lot more love going into the various level designs. This obviously could change, I hope it doesn't.

I understand the cost of Lego bricks. I am an AFOL myself. Roughly 10c per piece and $3 a minifig.

It doesn't alleviate the fact that the game still amounts to a 10x price increase. Lego seems ideal on the surface for this but the cost is ulimately prohibitive. Before all of this they offered a deal that was unparalleled.

Legos are not cheap toys. They are high quality though. My kids are currently playing with Legos that I played with 25 years ago.

From what I've read, the level packs come with one level that takes maybe an hour to complete. However, each character (whether it's from a level pack or just a "fun pack") unlocks the hub world for their IP. The hub worlds are not as big as the larger open worlds in some of the Lego games, but maybe like the size of the mini-hubs in Lego Movie or Batman 3, and they have sidequests and stuff. So probably a couple hours to clear those?
LEGO RULEZ!!!!

Untitled by skiizim, on Flickr

Well I caved because I had the base game pre-ordered at a steep discount. I'm going to try to limit myself to the Wicked Witch set (for my kid's birthday) until there's some steep discounts somewhere. I really just hope this isn't an Amiibo situation where they're planning so many things that they're going to sell out and then never be available again. Or how Skylanders makes a couple sets each generation that are fairly limited. With shelf space and the number of extra packages that's probably going to wind up being the case though where some stuff is going to become unpleasant to get down the road.

It's been a while since I bought Lego, so I don't know what the prices are like now, but it seems expensive even considering that. $30 for three little figures isn't exactly cheap.

How much play time do you get out of one level pack? I'm guessing maybe 3-5 hours at max?
Kotaku said about an hour and a half for the main content of the level packs which I find way too little for the price.

I bought the Portal pack because I don't know. I'm expecting there to be a big discount down the road so I'm not ready to pay retail for the game.

I just really wanted a Lego Portal gun I guess.
You're not alone, I did the same thing. I have the Portal 2 set in the cupboard, and will put Doctor Who's set beside it in November, then I'll wait for the base game to drop by at least 50% before I pick it up. The same thing happened with Skylanders and Disney Infinity, so I'm assuming it will follow the same trajectory.

I haven't played a Lego game since the original Lego Star Wars game. But I've always been into Lego as a toy so Dimensions has me very intrigued simply for the building and collectibility factor, the game itself is just a sweet bonus for me. I have $200+ in Best Buy credit I'll consider using for a Lego Dimension shopping spree once there is a good sale if I'm still interested by then.

This thread is interesting. I had no idea people actually cared about the tiny, barely-articulated figures. When I was a kid, I was all about the buildings and vehicles. Because, you know, those are what you actually build.

It must just be a collection thing, I guess.

This thread is interesting. I had no idea people actually cared about the tiny, barely-articulated figures. When I was a kid, I was all about the buildings and vehicles. Because, you know, those are what you actually build.

Different strokes. I'm old enough where I inherited my brothers and cousins Lego sets that were pre-minifigure (60s and 70s). I remember as a kid thinking "but there's no people. That's boring."

Building the sets was only half the fun for me. That's carried over into "adulthood." Although now really all I do is look at the minifigs and then throw them in a big plastic tub.

Different strokes. I'm old enough where I inherited my brothers and cousins Lego sets that were pre-minifigure (60s and 70s). I remember as a kid thinking "but there's no people. That's boring."

Building the sets was only half the fun for me. That's carried over into "adulthood." Although now really all I do is look at the minifigs and then throw them in a big plastic tub.
Oh I think they have charm, it definitely is weird to think of a time when there were no tiny yellow dudes, but some people here are talking about buying entire sets just to have one figure. That is psychotic to me -- equally as absurd as $15 for One Tiny Lego Dude And Maybe A Bike Or Something.

I'll probably buy this when it reaches a deep discount, but the reports of the level packs only lasting from 20min to an hour really sours me on the whole thing -- the BTTF one in particular seems like a ton of wasted potential, and a cheap cash-in.

well LEGO didn't have licensed figures back then, and their articulation's just as good as 3.75" figures now that those have lost knee and elbow articulation

Wondering if this will be lower in 30 days.  I got tricked into preordering because of the damn 10 reward certificate.  I wasn't planning on giving this to my boy until Christmas and there is about a 99.9% chance his will be lower between now and then.   

Wondering if this will be lower in 30 days. I got tricked into preordering because of the damn 10 reward certificate. I wasn't planning on giving this to my boy until Christmas and there is about a 99.9% chance his will be lower between now and then.
Same boat here. I suppose I'll only lose 20 bucks or so at most but wished I had a waited.

Isnt the price match guarantee something like 60 days for GCU members?

Sorry its 30 days for elite and 45 days for elite plus.

That's weak sauce for the CEO. You should be disappointed.
That's only cash and base trade-ins. I have spent a lot more with my gift cards, they don't count, though.

Plus my parents bought a 4K TV, so that makes up like $1,000 of that.

Dimensions is going to tank right?  

Too much money.  And the same mediocre lego game underpinning the experience.  

My immediate thought when seeing 3 lego pieces for $14.99 is that the toy aisle has a better lego set for half that price.  Fair or not.

And choosing to move a figure between 3 spots on the board looked like as much  fun as moving the empty pop cans on the counter to the recycling bin.  

I'm not feeling this one.

Even if it doesn't tank the whole 'it's Legos so it will sell' attitude doesn't work in this realm anymore. Even Disney has aggressively discounted their new product over the last few weeks.
Activision has taken the high road with their new release with zero incentives but they will come around.
Taking a look at the filled Dimensions sections shows that they have failed so far to produce interest in their product.

I don't think

Dimensions is going to tank right?

Too much money. And the same mediocre lego game underpinning the experience.

My immediate thought when seeing 3 lego pieces for $14.99 is that the toy aisle has a better lego set for half that price. Fair or not.

And choosing to move a figure between 3 spots on the board looked like as much fun as moving the empty pop cans on the counter to the recycling bin.

I'm not feeling this one.
I don't think it will tank. They've said they have at least a three-year plan for this. Eventually, the starter kit will get down to the $30-$40 range and they'll still be cranking out new content for it. So, yes, it's a lot of money now, because it's brand new. It will eventually get the point where you're only spending $15-$30 for new content every couple of months.

Basically, you're just paying for everything up front. Unlike Disney Infinity, there are no play sets that allow access to certain worlds. If you buy the Simpons level pack, you would seemingly have access to any future Simpsons content. It's not been said if this is the plan, but it seems the most likely.

Having to buy a new starter kit every year is one of the biggest complaints of Disney Infinity. I could see Lego Dimensions coming out with repackaged starters with different characters, but as far as the long-term spending goes (with sales and GCU), I see this game being more successful.

They could even start cross-promoting across their own brand by throwing toy tags into actual Lego sets, which would allow more people to find interest in it.

They could even start cross-promoting across their own brand by throwing toy tags into actual Lego sets, which would allow more people to find interest in it.
Yeah that's what they should have done in the first place. Not have this separate Dimenions brand which seems confusing and unattractive. Sell the Dimenions-branded Toys2Life reader as a $20ish peripheral. And then make new Lego sets and Lego games compatible with the thing. That would have been a much more clear direction. Retailers like Target and Walmart would have to carry less 'duplicate' product on the shelf. Customers wouldn't have to choose between Lego Dimensions sets and Lego sets. And then Lego could also get some of their regular Lego set product into Gamestop and BestBuy stores. That's 2 more large chains in which to sell their core products through. Maybe a Gamestop would also like this move because a) it would get younger customers and their parents into stores and b) their core business of buying/selling used games is slowly going away. IT seems like a great way to further sell the products they have out there.

Instead it's all confusing. A new brand yet it's really just less Legos and less Lego game for more $$$$$ from what I can see. Meanwhile the Legos that are on the shelves in the toy section don't work with this thing. Also the real Lego sets in the toy section look a lot more attractive than they these Dimensions sets. Maybe that's the goal of Dimensions. Make the real Lego sets look that much better and cheaper. They even make the Lego games look like better deals.

As for all this Toys2Life stuff, Sony and MS should just say, 'hey our customers don't like to buy 3 separate T2L portals. T2L seems like a category here to stay. We'll make a standard T2L reader peripheral for use on our systems.' Nintendo already includes an NFC reader with every Wii U. And then the big 3 consoles pressure the T2L publishers/developers to make their products work with their standard T2L readers.

Yeah that's what they should have done in the first place. Not have this separate Dimenions brand which is confusing. Sell the Toys2Life portal as a $20ish peripheral. And then make new Lego sets and Lego games compatible with the thing. That would have been a much more clear direction.

Instead it's all confusing because this new brand isn't anything new. IT's just less Legos and less Lego game for more $$$$$. And yet the Legos that are on the shelves in the toy section don't work with this thing. And the real Lego sets in the toy section look a lot more attractive than they these Dimensions sets. Maybe that's the goal of Dimensions. Make the real Lego sets look that much better and cheaper. They even make the Lego games look like better deals.

As for all this Toys2Life stuff, Sony and MS should just say, 'hey our customers don't like to buy 3 separate T2L portals. T2L seems like a category here to stay. We'll make a standard T2L reader peripheral for use on our systems.' Nintendo already includes an NFC reader with every Wii U. And then the big 3 consoles have to also pressure the T2L publishers/developers to make their products work with the standard T2L readers.
This seems unlikely given that accessories make the console companies money, and they had no problem with three (maybe more) sets of plastic instruments being marketed last generation. And if Microsoft, for instance, says no, boom, Sony gets another exclusive and vice versa.

I went to Fred Meyer and they have half of an entire row in their small Electronics department dedicated to this.  Between this, Disney Infinity, Skylanders, and Amiibo, they are taking up almost as much space as all the rest of the video game stuff combined.  I'm trying to remember what they displaced in that section.  I have to assume all of this will burn out in the long run - it just isn't sustainable.  It reminds me of the Rock Band/Guitar Hero plastic instrument bonanza of a few years back.  Kind of ironic that Rock Band is now making a comeback.

Having said that, I will definitely be on the lookout for a cheap starter pack and maybe that Simpsons level pack.  I'm sure that will be fun.  I just can't pay retail for this stuff and my cheap trade-in credit is at an all-time low.  Fred Meyer often has some great deals leading up to Christmas with multiple coupons that stack in addition to $10 off $50/$20 off $100/$30 off $150 coupons that apply to all Electronics (iPads, etc, excluded).

Are any particular pieces looking more scarce or hard to get?  I can't even keep Amiibo straight and don't really have the time to invest in watching this stuff 24/7.  I'll rely on you guys to post in here.  If anything is looking really popular/scarce/limited I'd buy it as soon as I see a deal rather than waiting for it all to be really cheap.

Wondering if this will be lower in 30 days. I got tricked into preordering because of the damn 10 reward certificate. I wasn't planning on giving this to my boy until Christmas and there is about a 99.9% chance his will be lower between now and then.
Probably but I have a feeling it won't be the 40-50% off that Skylanders and DI are almost every BF. LEGO stuff never goes on sale for anything significant because they're very fierce about brand protection and I would imagine they won't let WB go too crazy.

Isnt the price match guarantee something like 60 days for GCU members?

Sorry its 30 days for elite and 45 days for elite plus.
I miss the long return policy for Elite.

I will say that this doesn't appear to be doing well a few days in. The shelves look untouched compared to DI and Skylanders which look disheveled and like they are selling well. Anecdotal evidence sure, but it sounds like others are seeing the same things. 

That, or it's just really well stocked. Over here, Skylanders are also fully stocked. Disney Infinity seem to have the smallest space, but the most empty pegs.

I'm waiting just cause I have enough to play at the moment as it is. But like I said, I did pick up figures only available in Lego Dimensions, in case they do disappear. Though if it goes on sale, I'm putting a bunch of Lego Turrets on my desk, and having fun with a bunch of Chells going in and coming out of places.

bread's done
Back