Feedback
25 (100%)
Master topic for Lego Dimensions. 

Starter Packs are $99.99 on :ps4: :xb1: :360: :ps3: :wiiu:

Remeber,

Best Buy: 20% GCU Discount

Breakdown of products that release on 9/27:

Starter Pack:

Starter Pack includes LEGO Dimensions video game, LEGO Toy Pad, bricks to build the LEGO Gateway, Batman, Gandalf and Wyldstyle LEGO Minifigures and LEGO Batmobile vehicle.

MSRP: $99.99

Order: Best Buy, Amazon, Walmart, Target, Toys R Us

Level Packs (Level Packs contain a single character, a gadget/vehicle, and a new level that corresponds to that character), MSRP is $29.99:

The Simpsons

The Simpsons Level Pack, which includes a Homer, Homer's Car and the Taunt-o-Vision

Order from Best Buy, AmazonTarget, Toys R Us

Back to The Future

Back to the Future Level Pack, which includes a Marty McFly Minifigure, DeLorean Time Machine and Hoverboard

Order: Best Buy, Amazon, Walmart, Target, Toys R Us

Portal 2

Portal 2 Level Pack, which includes a Chell Minifigure, Sentry Turret and Companion Cube.

Order from Best Buy, AmazonTarget

Team Packs (Team packs come with 2 characters and a combination of 2 different vehicles and/or gadgets) MSRP is $24.99:

Jurassic World

Jurassic World Team Pack, which includes Owen and ACU mini figures, Gyrosphere and a Velociraptor.

Order from Best Buy, Amazon, Target, Toys R Us

Scooby-Doo!

Scooby-Doo! Team Pack, which includes Scooby-Doo and Shaggy mini figures, Mystery Machine and Scooby Snack.

Order from Best Buy, Amazon, Walmart, Target, Toys R Us

Fun Packs (Fun packs contain a single character and a single gadget or vehicle that corresponds to that character.) MSRP $14.99. Note: The links go to Best Buy unless noted.

DC Comics Wonder Woman
DC Comics Cyborg

The Lord of the Rings: Gimli
The Lord of the Rings: Legolas
The Lord of the Rings: Gollum

The LEGO Movie Emmet
The LEGO Movie Bad Cop
The LEGO Movie Benny

LEGO Ninjago Jay Toys R Us Timed Exclusive
LEGO Ninjago Nya
LEGO Ninjago Zane

The Wizard of Oz The Wicked Witch

LEGO Legends of Chima Laval Toys R Us Link
LEGO Legends of Chima Cragger
LEGO Legends of Chima Eris

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know how I forgot Merida, she is one I use quite often. Rapunzel is pretty forgettable in DI. And Anna is a princess, she may not be an official Disney Princess, but her role in the movie is princess.

I need to waste some time right now because I don't wanna work and there's no drum banging allowed here. Instead I'm going to do a price breakdown on Lego Dimensions...are they too expensive or just more than we want to pay? Let's find out.

Let's start with a level pack. First we have a minifigure which is basically a "collectible minifigure". A couple years ago they started this idea of a minifigure with an accessory or two in a blind bag. There are 16 in a series and the price was recently raised to $3.99 (used to be $2.99). They have a variety of characters available From a genie to a punk rocker to a lawn gnome to the most recent set of Halloween Monsters and even two series of Simpsons minifigure. Here's an example:
71009-6.jpg

Worst. Example. Ever.

On to the two vehicles. Those are basically polybags, the things you see at the Target checkout. The come in everything from a Smoothie Stand to a mini Tie-Fighter to Go Kart to a Joker Bumper Car polybags for licensed sets have between 40 and 60 pieces. Taking a look at the models included I'd guess they clock in at around 40. So that's two polybags, which are $4.99 for licensed sets (they charge more because of licensing fees and sometimes they can be bought for $3.99). And another example:
30303-1.jpg

Now we are up to around $15 of the $30. Next we have DLC. Let's assume this is the hour and a half of content some people are reporting plus opening up that world and those characters to use. Any other game would charge between $5 and $10 for that content some $15. Now we are up to say $25 of the $30. Only thing left is three NFC bases. Are they worth the $5? No idea...not sure since I don't know enough about them to estimate the cost. Let's assume $1.00 each which puts us at $28 of $30. Not too far off.

Still with me? Then I'll assume you are slacking off at work to. Since you are still here let's do a $25 Team Pack. Two minifgures and two vehicles. Comes to around $18. The DLC (from what I understand, correct me if I'm wrong) allows the characters and vehicles to be used in other areas and opens up a related hub world. Skin packs frequently cost $1.99 so say $3 to $5 putting us at $22 plus 4 NFC bases puts us at $26 of $25.

Finally the Fun Pack. One minifgures and one vehicle, $8. DLC, $3 to $5 and two bases. $14.

Overall the packs seem to be around the expected cost (my estimates on the Lego cost is accurate, but the DLC is not...I don't buy many new games and I buy DLC real cheap...so if my numbers are off feel free to correct me.)

tl;dr: The cost is about right, but we all want to pay less.
Yeah Legos are priced high to begin with. And even higher if you buy 1 figure at a time or 1 tiny vehicle in a bag at a time. But these Dimensions fun packs are going to be compared to the stuff on the toy shelf at retailers like Target or Walmart and the comparison isn't going to be flattering irregardless of whether they have a 30 minute vid game in them or not.

Typical Dimensions $14.99 pack like the Ghostbuster Fun pack:

$15 for 1 figure and 1 Giant Slime gun. 33 pieces.

The same customer sees this on Amazon:

Lego City Monster Truck

$9 on Amazon for 1 Monster Truck and 1 figure. 78 pieces.

Or sees this at Walmart:

Lego Super Heroes Man-Bat Attack Batman set

3 figures. 184 pieces. $15.94

Hard not to think the $15 Dimensions thing isn't way over priced. The Lego vehicles or objects in these $14.99 Dimensions fun packs look chincy. And are something my 8 yr old could whip up with the Legos we have on hand in a few seconds. IT's hard to see the value in these things when the Lego part doesn't look appetizing.

The figures of other Toys 2 Life products at least are something new and kind of cool for a kid or nerdult to collect and put on the shelf.

And adding to that confusion and unattractiveness is the value of the game part is not very clear at all. We know what we get when we buy a separate Lego game. We don't here. And even more so when we have to buy a $100 starter pack to begin with.

And the unattractiveness of Dimensions starts with the starter pack. The $100 pricepoint obviously. But not only that but the toy part of it. You get the Legos to build an all grey portal/thone/roman/half radar dish looking backdrop. That's not exciting. That's not a selling pt.

Last the pure avalanche of fun pack options makes one's head spin. Could they maybe have tried to sell us the $100 thing first before assaulting stores with a barrage of add-ons? nevermind the confusion again when a customer sees these Lego Dimension packs and then goes to the toy section at Target and sees those Legos.

I think Lego should have not entered this category until they had something better and were able to more clearly communicate it because Dimensions is unattractive and confusing and we already buy Legos and Lego games. Not sure what they stand to gain here.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqYWsnGSAZg[/media]

Saw this on TV yesterday. Seems guaranteed to confuse parents.

I was in Gamestop today.  SAw the 173 funpacks on the wall and asked the manager how the stuff is selling.  And he says "...man....like hotcakes.  Selling really well."   I say, " really?"  He says, "Yeah.  I've sold a lot of them."   

Maybe there's hope.   

Disney may not see it as competition. More Star Wars and more Marvel products on the shelf is good for business.
They've said that they do, because the sales of one would cannibalize sales of the other:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06/16/e3-2015-disney-says-star-wars-will-never-come-to-lego-dimensions

That said, when they say "it will never happen" what that means is "it will happen when the numbers make sense." My guess is we will see a period of about 12 months Star Wars exclusivity for Disney Infinity and then when that well runs dry, we will see LEGO Star Wars Dimensions as a separate product around holiday 2016. I do not think Disney will ever allow Star Wars characters to mingle with other properties so they will have to have their own game. I believe Star Wars was entirely absent from the LEGO Movie, or am I wrong about that? My understanding is they're incredibly protective of this particular property and world.

EDIT: Yep, the writers of the LEGO Movie wanted to include a scene with R2-D2 but Disney shot it down. I really would not expect any Star Wars characters mingling with non-Star Wars characters in any game anytime soon:

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/nov/19/star-wars-r2-d2-lego-movie

They've said that they do, because the sales of one would cannibalize sales of the other:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06/16/e3-2015-disney-says-star-wars-will-never-come-to-lego-dimensions

That said, when they say "it will never happen" what that means is "it will happen when the numbers make sense." My guess is we will see a period of about 12 months Star Wars exclusivity for Disney Infinity and then when that well runs dry, we will see LEGO Star Wars Dimensions as a separate product around holiday 2016. I do not think Disney will ever allow Star Wars characters to mingle with other properties so they will have to have their own game. I believe Star Wars was entirely absent from the LEGO Movie, or am I wrong about that? My understanding is they're incredibly protective of this particular property and world.

EDIT: Yep, the writers of the LEGO Movie wanted to include a scene with R2-D2 but Disney shot it down. I really would not expect any Star Wars characters mingling with non-Star Wars characters in any game anytime soon:

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/nov/19/star-wars-r2-d2-lego-movie
Lando, Han, Chewie, and C-3PO all showed up in the Lego Movie.

EDIT: They also included a snippet of John Williams' score.

They seem to be selling a little better now then they were are first. Mainly it's the level and team packs that have really been moving.  I myself picked up Portal 2 set as well as the Cyborg set at BB over the last few days.

Personally i bought the starter and the 3 level sets. Should give my son and i the full experience. I'm sure he will want a pack or two and thats fine.

As someone into skylanders i see how the model has gone. Last year they released trap team and it had not only all new guys (trap masters) but traps of every element. 10 elements = 20 new exclusive to this version characters. Also multiple traps type (3-4 per element) and revamped older characters. It was a shitload of things to buy. Maybe they felt the pain of having so much last year and eliminated alot of the BS. This year with superchargers there are 3 vehicle types (air, land and sea) and a few new guys. The game hinges on having 1 of each vehicle to pass the special areas where all the previous were gated by elemental types. Long story short you used to need 10 different guys to get the full experience, now you need 3 and 1 comes with the starter.  

Maybe Lego will adopt this model where you need a scooby do character to get passed this gate or activate this button.

Finished all three level packs... Portal and Simpsons felt long and substantial, and the Simpsons hub world is cool. Back to the Future felt really short compared to the other two. Like seriously half as long. Not very impressed with the hub world either, but, I haven't played with the time travel mechanic too much yet.

I doubt they'll have that great of sales that soon outside of Black Friday. They are selling, even if it's not flying off the shelves.

Id also like to say I don't see these going on sale anytime soon, if really ever. You have to think besides the game they are fully functional Lego sets. How often do Lego actually go on Sale? The price for these sets is not much more than a normal Lego set. The level packs, maybe. The fun packs or whatever, are just a couple dollars more than a Lego set with same things. Especially when you start to include licensed characters.

Have you seen how much space this stuff is taking up at retail ??

Unless it's flying off the shelves it will be on sale regularly like Skylanders/Disney Infinity !

Even if it does fly off the shelves it'll eventually simmer down and sales will happen. Plus these are in the video game department, not toys. So it's a whole different animal from standard Lego sets when it comes to shelf space competition.

BTW, Lego sets get discounted all the time, you just need to know how and where to look.

Hmm starters need to be in the 70 or even 60 dollar range (where everyone else is) before even considering.
Even if it's toys to life, most Lego video games sink quickly a few months after release.
Not sure if it's bravado or stupidity, but why price yourself higher than the proven competition on your first try?

Hmm starters need to be in the 70 or even 60 dollar range (where everyone else is) before even considering.
Even if it's toys to life, most Lego video games sink quickly a few months after release.
Not sure if it's bravado or stupidity, but why price yourself higher than the proven competition on your first try?
It is priced higher because it contains Legos. Lego toys are not cheap.

Even if it does fly off the shelves it'll eventually simmer down and sales will happen. Plus these are in the video game department, not toys. So it's a whole different animal from standard Lego sets when it comes to shelf space competition.

BTW, Lego sets get discounted all the time, you just need to know how and where to look.
Teach me where to look. My first kid is bankrupting us.

If you're a TRU rewards member, here's their deal from today through Saturday....

Free $30 gift card when you buy ANY LEGO Dimensions Starter Pack & ANY Fun, Level or Team Pack
So you save a few dollars over Best Buy GCU if you count a gift card as discount. Sigh....

If you're a TRU rewards member, here's their deal from today through Saturday....

So you save a few dollars over Best Buy GCU if you count a gift card as discount. Sigh....
Only $5, and that's if you count the gift card. Your actually paying $25 more out of pocket to get the gift card. Toys 'R Us damn "interactive figure tax".

I went over the weekend and picked up a PS3 Starter / Scooby Doo Team set and got a $20 GC thru TRU. (Signed was for 20 not for the 30).

No offense, but after ToysRus markup and tax you are not getting a real discount on these. Yes, I already heard the Lego purists: "These are Legos and they are expensive".
Point taken, but this is the toys to life video game realm where crap becomes heavily discounted if it doesn't sell.
Given the amount of Lego stuff on the shelves...it's only a matter of waiting.

AMEN to that. I've got the same mindset.

No offense, but after ToysRus markup and tax you are not getting a real discount on these. Yes, I already heard the Lego purists: "These are Legos and they are expensive".
Point taken, but this is the toys to life video game realm where crap becomes heavily discounted if it doesn't sell.

I agree. I just posted it for the hell of it, since deals of any kind are so few and far between on this.

I'm really interested to see if there's any Black Friday sales on this. My kids are asking for this for Christmas, but a BF sale is going to make or break them getting this. I already have Disney Infinity 3 and Skylanders Superchargers put away for them, and I'm willing to get this as well if I can get a deal. Otherwise, it will be a birthday present next year.

I've been playing The Doctor Who Pack all night and couldn't be more impressed.  The attention to detail is fantastic.  The music, the voice acting, and monsters are all top notch.  Worth the price of admission.

I've been playing The Doctor Who Pack all night and couldn't be more impressed. The attention to detail is fantastic. The music, the voice acting, and monsters are all top notch. Worth the price of admission.
Yea, I just hate that I have to pay $100 ($80 GCU) for a game and then the extra on top for Doctor who, when all I wanna play is doctor who.....

if if I could get the starter set for $60ish I would be ok.

I've been playing The Doctor Who Pack all night and couldn't be more impressed. The attention to detail is fantastic. The music, the voice acting, and monsters are all top notch. Worth the price of admission.
The level freezes up every time we have tried to play it (at least 6). It always happens on the screen where the Tardis is traveling. And usually about 15 or so minutes in. The world works fine and has been fun, but the level freezing up is VERY disappointing. Google searching shows some other folks are having the same problem.

Yeah the Doctor Who level pack was super long and substantial. Seemed like it was 3 or 4 times the size of the Back to the Future level.

bread's done
Back