Let's talk about Comic Books (And read some inside)

It came out almost 2 weeks ago, but did anyone pick up Supergirl #1? I just got around to reading it, and I thought it was great. I highly recommend it to anyone who can find a copy. I think their doing a second print sketch variant. Luckily I got the first print Turner variant.

A comic that I'm looking for right now

Sea of Red(image)

Missed the first 7 issues so that tops my list of wants right now.
#8 is in Previews for Oct release and added it to my huge subscription.
I ussually never miss a new series that turns out to be hot.
I have basically everything

I'll check my comic shop the next time I go, but their usually pretty bad with stocking smaller titles. Have you tried looking online or anything? I used to know this seller on ebay who would give me 25% of all the comics I ordered, and shipping was pretty low too. I just can't remember his user name.

Finished X-Men: Days of Future Past TPB again, Xtreme Xmen: Intifada, and Xtreme X-Men: Storm-The Arena TPB. Been on a Clairemont binge recenlty.

I also finished 100 Bullets: First Shot, Last Call TPB again. Amazing artwork and an amazing story. Leaves you guessing and wondering constantly.

Edit: I also started reading the Preacher series now by Garth Ennis.

I remember liking the X-Treme X-Men comic a lot when it first came out. But I never really finished reading the series because it was around the time I was getting out of comics. I used to pick up every issue of Uncanny X-Men and X-Men each month. And now I look at all of the X-titles and I just get confused. I haven't picked up an X-title in years, although everyone keeps recommending Astonishing X-Men to me. It kind of makes me sad thinking about how much I liked the X-men back then, and now I don't know what the hell is going on. I wish I could go back to the simpler days of watching the X-Men cartoon.

the x-men cartoon still comes on some random channel nowadays it comes on like before The Tick(another great saturday morning cartoon). I acutally have always prefered the avengers over x-men for some reason. i guess it's because i'm a really big iron man fan.

For some reason I can't remember the Avengers cartoon. How many episodes were there? Did you hear about the Ultimate Avengers direct to DVD animated movie their going to release next year? And I wish they could somehow release the X-Men cartoons on DVD. But theirs that whole thing with Disney they have to deal with.

So starting my first semester at brooklyn college after 2 years upstate, check this out I have a 3 hour gap between my classes and there is a comic book store a block or so off campus....ill be spending so much fucking time there.

Use to have one, but they closed. Used to have another one, but they closed. There;s one not too far, but they are absolutely crap, nobody goes there, plus the place smells of urine and other nice things so I don't go there. Then the only good one is clear across the other side of town and with gas prices, I can't get there as much as I would like. Bah! I f'in hate gas prices.

Yeah, I know a shop that's absolute crap/smells like urine too. And it's so bad that I just can't call it a real comic book shop. I went there once because I was looking for a comic that was sold out at the other store I go to. I walk in, and I became claustrophobic because the store was so small and everything was just cramped together and covered in dust. Their was barely any room to move, and the all of the "new" comics were inside of a regular box that you would put your comics books in at home. He just jammed all of them in one tiny box, so they were all pretty much damaged. Then the owner came over and started talking to me for half an hour. I ended up finding what I needed, and also bought some extra stuff because I felt bad for him. I wonder what SpottedNigel's store looks like.

OMAC SPOILER!

random typing for those whos eyes still keep reading after a
spoiler warning so you cant say i didnt really warn you.
Just finished reading OMAC #5 at work...
Over one point three million omacs exist
holy shit. thats probably not a good thing for anyone

supergirl #1 first print is sold out, so go grab ya one

also the new 1602 is about after the landing.... i havent read it, but i saw dinosaurs in it while flipping through.... some kind of weird savage land??

Today is tuesday. Omac Project #5 comes out tomorrow. Comic book shop owners are so lucky. Do you usually get your comics this early? My shop always gets them late in the afternoon/evening on wednesdays. Omac sounds great, even though I haven't picked it up. I'll end up getting the TPB they're putting out for it soon.

[quote name='tindall311']supergirl #1 first print is sold out, so go grab ya one

also the new 1602 is about after the landing.... i havent read it, but i saw dinosaurs in it while flipping through.... some kind of weird savage land??[/QUOTE]

Don't buy it just cause its sold out, buy it cause (like everything else DC is pumping out lately) it kicks ass!

[quote name='SpottedNigel']OMAC SPOILER!

random typing for those whos eyes still keep reading after a
spoiler warning so you cant say i didnt really warn you.
Just finished reading OMAC #5 at work...
Over one point three million omacs exist
holy shit. thats probably not a good thing for anyone[/QUOTE]

Do you think its possible that some superheroes that we know of are actually OMACS? BATMAN himself perhaps!?!?!

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Don't buy it just cause its sold out, buy it cause (like everything else DC is pumping out lately) it kicks ass![/QUOTE]

Totally agree. I highly recommend it to everyone.

[quote name='darkcrawlspace']Today is tuesday. Omac Project #5 comes out tomorrow. Comic book shop owners are so lucky. Do you usually get your comics this early? My shop always gets them late in the afternoon/evening on wednesdays. Omac sounds great, even though I haven't picked it up. I'll end up getting the TPB they're putting out for it soon.[/QUOTE]

We have 3 stores, and due to how ,uch we order, we get it a day early. We split it out for the 3 stores and delivery it so we can have our comics out when we open at 10 a.m.

I just like doing everything Tues. night instead of Wed. because im not much of a morning person :)

[quote name='darkcrawlspace']That's awesome. Have fun. How many comic book shops does everyone have around them? I have exactly one.[/QUOTE]

I have one fifteen minutes away, and although there are a few I've been to around the state, that closest one is absolutely the best. The nicest owner ever, a great selection of comics, and *gasp* reasonable prices.

It just sucks that I have to wait till 2 today for it to open since they have to sort out all the new comics. Better to wait till tomorrow anyway (payday). Speaking of, here's a general question: How much do you spend on comics a week?

[quote name='Ricochet']I have one fifteen minutes away, and although there are a few I've been to around the state, that closest one is absolutely the best. The nicest owner ever, a great selection of comics, and *gasp* reasonable prices.

It just sucks that I have to wait till 2 today for it to open since they have to sort out all the new comics. Better to wait till tomorrow anyway (payday). Speaking of, here's a general question: How much do you spend on comics a week?[/QUOTE]

I spend a few hundred a month and have a massive pull list.
I have a couple stores around me but w/ a sub I used to have there they only gave 10% off and screwed up my sub and forgot to pull key issues all the time. Not to mention the driving there, and the manual sub pull list maintence in store. Now I use www.G-mart.com. 35% off and free shipping with over $80 shipments. It's the best thing I have ever done in my mannnyyy yrs of collecting comics, besides converting my collection to 4 drawer legal vertical filing cabinets that hold around 2,000 comics each. So smooth so shiny, no more stacked up long boxes. Just beautiful drawers to pull out and find any comic with ease.

Any other comic need I have I just hit one of the local cons
I missed a brand new con in Seaside NJ Sunday
But I can ussually find whatever I'm looking for at a deep discount with multiple book buy
The flea markets have some sweet finds alot of times
(old guys that used to collect now just wanna get rid of stuff for 5 for a dollar or 50 cents each)
I also have a few secret spot locations with waaaaaaaayyyyyy underpriced silverage stuff that amazes me how it gets replentished by old guys that I guess travel the circuit and come up with this stuff.
It's impossible to walk into a non comic shop, non flea market and have there be silverage under priced. But I have the secret coordinates and will never give up the info.

Cag1000, can you post some pictures of your filing cabinet setup? I am looking to move my collection into something other than my long white boxes and would like some ideas. Inside shots of the books in the open drawers would be helpful if you are able to do it.

Any more recommends?
This one shop is having a 50% off everything and I want some books to read.

The stuff they got isnt exactly the newest stuff but they got a lot of things from the 90s to early 2001ish.
The reason for the sale is because they opened another shop and getting rid of the older stuff.

[quote name='Owen']Cag1000, can you post some pictures of your filing cabinet setup? I am looking to move my collection into something other than my long white boxes and would like some ideas. Inside shots of the books in the open drawers would be helpful if you are able to do it.[/QUOTE]

can't now maybe later but I got the idea from www.Newsarama.com, and their comic storage solutions thread. Search their forums and there are loads of pics in there and explanations how to do it. I bought used cabinets cause brand new ones 300-400each. I still spent alot but find a used office furniture place around u.

[quote name='bobo2k4']Any more recommends?
This one shop is having a 50% off everything and I want some books to read.

The stuff they got isnt exactly the newest stuff but they got a lot of things from the 90s to early 2001ish.
The reason for the sale is because they opened another shop and getting rid of the older stuff.[/QUOTE]

Is it on the Noth or South Side of the Chi?

my local comic store is awesome. They know me so they usually add "preview" issues in my box that come out a week early I picked up all the spider man house of m's a week in advance :) .

[quote name='WeaponX2099']Is it on the Noth or South Side of the Chi?[/QUOTE]

South-ish its in downtown. On Madison and Wabash (?), its called Graham Crackers. There are a few of them located throughout Illinois.

I'm really diggin' this Villians United storyline and making some 3rd stringers look cool (though Catman IS just one letter away from being a Dark Knight clone in dress and thought).

[quote name='jaykrue']I'm really diggin' this Villians United storyline and making some 3rd stringers look cool (though Catman IS just one letter away from being a Dark Knight clone in dress and thought).[/QUOTE]

Yeah, absolutely can't wait to see where this one goes. The other Infinite Crisis buildup mini that's getting really good is Day of Vengeance. Omac Project absolutely rocked from the beginning of issue 1. Rann Thanagar is really getting boring despite the fact that its a frickin war!

I haven't picked up any issues of it myself, but has anyone been following House of M? Everything I hear about it seems to be pretty split, with some saying it's good, while others are saying it's boring. I might pick up the limited edition issue #1 with the Joe Mad cover next week if I can.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Yeah, absolutely can't wait to see where this one goes. The other Infinite Crisis buildup mini that's getting really good is Day of Vengeance. Omac Project absolutely rocked from the beginning of issue 1. Rann Thanagar is really getting boring despite the fact that its a frickin war![/QUOTE]

I haven't checked anything else out except maybe OMAC but I really like Villains more... though reading more and more of it, it seems to be reading like the prologue for Mark Millar's Wanted.

Picked up JSA Classified #2 and was very impressed. I wasn't too sure I would pick it up JSA Classified #1, but the ADAM HUGHES variant cover changed my mind and the story convinced me to stay and enjoy the ride.

Geoff Johns weaves a very heart-warming tale about trying to find one's place in the world. Johns is able to weave Power Girl through the mess of DC history and successfully tries to reconcile her place in the current DC continuity. Johns even does a wonderful job of explaining why PG has a big hole in the top of her costume (why she shows her boobies)!

The art is great and Amanda Conner should be recognized as a top talent. Its a shame she cannot carry a monthly title. (She said that she couldn't do a monthly because she gets burned out rather quickly).

The one thing that bothers me is that this story is a tie-in with Infinite Crisis and no where does it say on the cover. You'll realized that this story ties into the IC on very last page.

If you can pick up JSA Classified #1 & 2 do so, now!

Just finished reading War Drums, which ran through Detective and Batman Comics. I thought it was okay. It was interesting to see the Joker back, but I thought he was tied up and getting his @$$ kicked by the Red Hood.

It is interesting to see how DC has decided to do away with the "Batman Family." The Spoiler is dead, Nightwing is undercover (Donnie Brasco style), Robin is in the 'Haven, Oracle took off to Metropolis, Gordon is retired, and Dr. Thompkins betrayed him. Batman also addresses it in the series by stating that he has let his detective skills drop by relying on Oracle too much.

The only person who has not abandoned Bruce is Alfred and they better not think about doing that!

What do you guys think? Do you like Batman without the supporting cast? Which people should come back to help? Do you want Robin to come back, or how about letting the Cat and Bat play (Catwoman not Catman!)?

[quote name='Dante Devil']

The only person who has not abandoned Bruce is Alfred and they better not think about doing that!

[/QUOTE]

I thought it was more like Batman kicked all the rest of them out of Gotham after the Spoiler incident, rather than them just abandoning him.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I thought it was more like Batman kicked all the rest of them out of Gotham after the Spoiler incident, rather than them just abandoning him.[/QUOTE]

I not too sure. I thought Tim left to deal with the death of his father. Nightwing left to take on crime from the inside out. I thought Oracle was the only one who he pushed away. I could be wrong.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Yeah, absolutely can't wait to see where this one goes. The other Infinite Crisis buildup mini that's getting really good is Day of Vengeance. Omac Project absolutely rocked from the beginning of issue 1. Rann Thanagar is really getting boring despite the fact that its a frickin war![/QUOTE]

I loved the Day of Vengeance #5. I know none of these characters, but the story has been fun so far. Rann/Thanagar has lost me the last couple of issues. It seems to be going nowhere.

Oddly enough, I picked up Batman: War Drums TPB today. I am not really sure why. The OMAC Project has probably made my subconcious want to read some Batman again.

Also oddly, I have started rereading my Preacher TPB's. That is still one of my favorite series of all time.

[quote name='Dante Devil']I not too sure. I thought Tim left to deal with the death of his father. Nightwing left to take on crime from the inside out. I thought Oracle was the only one who he pushed away. I could be wrong.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, all this stuff happened between something like issues 633-638 of Batman. AFAIK it extended into other titles but this was the time frame between War Games and Red Hood. Basically when I had quit reading it for a while...

[quote name='MaskedPlague']I loved the Day of Vengeance #5. I know none of these characters, but the story has been fun so far. Rann/Thanagar has lost me the last couple of issues. It seems to be going nowhere.

Oddly enough, I picked up Batman: War Drums TPB today. I am not really sure why. The OMAC Project has probably made my subconcious want to read some Batman again.

Also oddly, I have started rereading my Preacher TPB's. That is still one of my favorite series of all time.[/QUOTE]

Don't worry, its not just you. Up until that Countdown to Infinite Crisis $1 issue the only DC I had really read was the War Games storyline (that frickin thing was massive). Now I'm all over the place reading this and that of DC. I still remember my rationalization too, "oh, its only a buck and it looks like a decent storyline". I can't even tell you how much DC stuff I'm buying now, stupid damn Infinite Crisis.

I picked up Hunter Killer #1 and #2 at Half Price Books yesterday for $1 each because I had read #0 and thought there was some potential. Holy crap was I wrong, there's a LOT of potential. They were so good that I had to go out and buy #3 today first thing when I woke up. I honestly can not say enough good things about this title.

The only down side is that it seems to be a havily delayed title, issue one came out in march, issue two came out in may, and issue three just came out this month. Its definetly worth it though because out of nowhere this has now one of my favorite comic titles.

Also, I'm glad that I've expanded my horizons beyond Marvel in the past few months, not to knock on Marvel, but I had no idea there was so much good stuff from other publishers out there.

[quote name='bostonfrontier']Does anyone have scanned comics posted on the web? like some X-men issues?[/QUOTE]

Most of the comic publishers have at least a few issues on their website. Since my last post was pimping Hunter Killer so heavily I suggest you go here http://www.topcow.com/library and read all the issues that are available for Hunter Killer. Do it now!

Anybody read the Ultimates? They officially announced that Jeph Loeb and Joe Mad are taking over the next installment of the title. I never got into any of the comics in the Ultimate line, but I'll be picking up Ultimates V. 3 when it comes out next year. I've always liked Loeb's stuff, but more importantly, I'm so happy to see the return of Joe Madureira. He's my second favorite artist of all time, behind Jim Lee. Although, I know a lot of people don't like him. You can go to http://joemadfan.com to check out some sketches he's done so far for The Ultimates. Any thoughts?

I've never read any on DVD or CD. But I've been wanting to pick up those Marvel CD-Rom sets that have every comic up to a certain point for titles like Spider-Man and Fantastic Four. I just don't think I would like reading a comic book online. I don't even like buying TPB's, because I prefer having the individual comics instead.

bread's done
Back