Let's talk about Comic Books (And read some inside)

bluetoast

CAGiversary!
All right, here are some great comics to read legally for free, straight from DC's website. It's the first issue of each series.

Ex Machina: Mitchell Hundred gets powers that enable him to tell any machine to do whatever he wants. Last page of this is tight.

http://www.dccomics.com/media/excerpts/2500_x.pdf

Y: The Last Man: Every male of every species on Earth dies, except for a man and his monkey. This is what happens when the plague first hits.

http://www.dccomics.com/media/excerpts/1736_x_1.pdf

Fables: All the Fables (Big Bad Wolf, Three little pigs, snow white, cinderella, etc), exist in the real world, in New York. Think Shreck but for adults and no bad jokes. See what happens.

http://dccomics.com/features/fables/intro.html

For those of you who read comics, regularly, what are some of your favorites? And what will you be getting this week?

Shipping List: http://www.diamondcomics.com/shipping/expected_072705.txt

Let's kick this off

I'm reading Watchmen right now, Sin City next, the V for Vendetta and 300. I'm on a Frank Miller/Alan Moore kick.

I know that Ultimate Spiderman is sort of a retelling starting from the begining, but does that mean that the "original" Spiderman series officially ended? I know that there were a bunch of offshoots, but i'm talking generally. Anyone?

Oni Press also has some free-to-read books on their site.

http://www.onipress.com/freecomic/

I'm especially fond of Blue Monday, Barry Ween, and Courtney Crumrin & the Night Things -- all of which have freebies available above.

As for your question, this week I'll be picking up OUTSIDERS #26, NEW X-MEN #16, NEW X-MEN HELLIONS #3 (OF 4), & X-MEN #173.

[quote name='evilmax17']I know that Ultimate Spiderman is sort of a retelling starting from the begining, but does that mean that the "original" Spiderman series officially ended? I know that there were a bunch of offshoots, but i'm talking generally. Anyone?[/QUOTE]

Nope. I think the Ultimate line occurs in something of a self-contained, alernate dimension, of which we know Marvel is overly fond. :)

Image: http://www.imagecomics.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?main=features&sub1=onlinecomics

Powers, PVP, INVINCIBLE first issues, and #25 of Powers as well.

As a manager of a Comic Shop, i read WAY too much to list, but there aer a few stand-outs

Y-The Last man (read that preview, get hooked)
Runaways
Walking Dead
Invincible
Fathom
Soulfire
Young Avengers
Astonishing X-men
Defenders (just started)
and more....

i'll have to come back to this topic when ive got some time later :)
and

Marvel has 2 Universes: 616 (normal) and Ultimate (retellings/new stories/slightly alterd characters). Thier Max line fits in with the 616, mostly

DC has 3, im essence, right now: Regular, elseworlds,Wildstorm. Vertigo is its own thing pretty much

Dark Horse - No Universe

Image - Mini universes created for mini crossovers

[quote name='SpottedNigel']Marvel has 2 Universes: 616 (normal) and Ultimate (retellings/new stories/slightly alterd characters). Thier Max line fits in with the 616, mostly[/QUOTE]
Was gonna ask you to expound on this, but I got wiki to do it instead. :)

walking dead rules
also i usually HATE the avengers, thor and that whole bag but the avengers disassembed story arc was great!!!!
i just read if and the ragnorak story arc from Thor was incredible, was this a fluke? or was thor really that good near the end?

I love anything Moore. His work is incredible every time. I too have gone on a Moore binge recently, with re-readin Watchmen, Tom Strong Volume 1 and volume 2.

i've also been re-reading Slave Labor's/Vasquez's Johnny the Homicidal Maniac. I really need a new copy as mine is basically gone and I'm tired of borrowing my friends.

One indie comic that I have been greatly enjoying ever since finding it at Comic-Con this year is Arsenic Lullaby's The 1000 Deaths of Baron von Donut. A great satiric comedy with lots of great great dark humor. Anybody who like dark humor should definitely go and pick it up.

Edit: Oh, and I've been enjoying anything and everything Dark Horse that I can pick up. I've been loving The Goon.

Edit Again: Forgot to say that I've also been reading some Garth Ennis lately and enjoying his Preacher series a lot.

I read every marvel ultimate universe comic. I occasionally read the uncanny X-Men, but not so much any more. I've been getting the Marvel: Rise of the Imperfects comics in anticipation of the new game.

In some ways I'm more of a DC guy. I make sure to read Nightwing (greatest!) Batman, Robin, The Outsiders v3, Teen Titans v3... They're doing a comic version of Niel Gaiman's Neverwhere, and the second issue should be out soon... There's more, but I'm tired.

If you're enjoying JTHM (Johnny the Homicidal Maniac) make sure you read the 2-part I Feel Sick...the further adventures of the one that got away :)

And just to throw some more wood on the flames: TPB's:

WE3 (W3 AR3 GuD Dog, Cat and RaBBiT.)
Superman: Red Son
Marvel Team-Up (ongoing, same writer as walking dead and Invincible. Invincible will cross-over into the book too :) )
Space Ghost
DC: New frontier (2 parter)

[quote name='SpottedNigel']If you're enjoying JTHM (Johnny the Homicidal Maniac) make sure you read the 2-part I Feel Sick...the further adventures of the one that got away :)

[/QUOTE]

I wanted to get I Feel Sick at Comic-Con, but SLG sold out of it, and I couldn't find it anywhere else. I don't reallly feel like ordering it from the internet, but I'll probably have to.

Vasquez goodness checklist:
Johnny the Homicidal Maniac
Squee
I feel Sick
Fillerbunny 1-3
SLG free comic book day hand out from last year
Writer for Invader Zim (best frickin show...)

...am i missing anything?

[quote name='SpottedNigel']Vasquez goodness checklist:
Squee
I feel Sick
Fillerbunny 1-3

...am i missing anything?[/QUOTE]

Nope I think you've got it all.

Unfortunately, I usually just read TPBs for the most part anymore, though this week I'll probably get a copy of Neverwhere #2 because I got the first one and I liked the book. I'll name some of my favorites after a bit.

I forgot about my pull list.

On a tier of their own...

Walking Dead
Fables
Ex Machina
Y: The Last Man

And then the rest

Runaways
And others that I randomly buy, but don't at the moment.

[quote name='SpottedNigel']Vasquez goodness checklist:
Squee
I feel Sick
Fillerbunny 1-3

...am i missing anything?[/QUOTE]

unfortuneatley there is also
"Everything Can be beaten"
written under a psuedonym i believe
I picked it up saw something beating a cat and put it back
i have everything he's ever done, even JTHM 1st prints but that's the one that I don't have and prob won't

[quote name='SpottedNigel']...
Image: http://www.imagecomics.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?main=features&sub1=onlinecomics

Powers, PVP, INVINCIBLE first issues, and #25 of Powers as well.

As a manager of a Comic Shop, i read WAY too much to list, but there aer a few stand-outs

Y-The Last man (read that preview, get hooked)
Runaways
Walking Dead
Invincible
Fathom
Soulfire
Young Avengers
Astonishing X-men
Defenders (just started)
and more....

i'll have to come back to this topic when ive got some time later :)
and[/QUOTE]

I'm loving Walking Dead.

I'm also catching up on Stray Bullets by David Lapham. Weird, great stuff.

[quote name='Mouse']I read every marvel ultimate universe comic. I occasionally read the uncanny X-Men, but not so much any more. I've been getting the Marvel: Rise of the Imperfects comics in anticipation of the new game.

In some ways I'm more of a DC guy. I make sure to read Nightwing (greatest!) Batman, Robin, The Outsiders v3, Teen Titans v3... They're doing a comic version of Niel Gaiman's Neverwhere, and the second issue should be out soon... There's more, but I'm tired.[/QUOTE]

Speaking of Gaiman, how was 1602?

I would say:
Punisher
New Batman and Robin Mini-series.
House of M
100 Bullets. (Loved it early, barely hanging on now
Then again, I read most mainstream titles from DC and Marvel. Not up with some of the "underground" stuff.

[quote name='vrs1650']I would say:
Punisher
New Batman and Robin Mini-series.
House of M
100 Bullets. (Loved it early, barely hanging on now
Then again, I read most mainstream titles from DC and Marvel. Not up with some of the "underground" stuff.[/QUOTE]

I had been a little disappointed with House of M with the first issue because I really thought it was just another alternate universe story. Its definetly been picking up with each issue. The exchange between Emma and Wolverine had me just giddy.

"Oh, that is it. THAT IS IT! We're gonna kill him, and his kids"

I REALLY can't wait for the next issue now.

I dropped out of House of M, not interested. Spidey House of M has promise though.

And FF with JMS is good, I started picking it up.

[quote name='bluetoast']I dropped out of House of M, not interested. Spidey House of M has promise though.

And FF with JMS is good, I started picking it up.[/QUOTE]

I'm just the opposite, I'm thinking of dropping Spidey HoM. Please just do me this favor when you go pick up comics tomorrow, just take a look at the most current issue of House of M. In fact, its a quick read, just read the whole thing, it definetly renewed my interest in the series.

I read tons of comics but I haven't read anything from Vertigo since the first few issues of Lucifer.

And I really hate Y: the last man. At first I though it was awesome, but then it just became another lame adventure story.

Last 10 comics i've read : "Hey, Wait" by Jason,
"Jar of Fools" by Jason Lutes,
"Eightball #23" by Daniel Clowes,
"Jimmy Corrigan: Smartest Kid on Earth" by Chris Ware,
"Palomar: The Heartbreak Soup Stories" by Gilbert Hernandez,
"Street Angel" by Jim Rugg and Brian Marcura,
"Americanelf.com" by James Kochalka,
"From Hell" by Alan Moore and Eddie Campbell,
"Louis Riehl" by Chester Brown
"Collected Sequential" by Paul Horenschiemer
"Kramers Ergot 5" by various, Bunaventura press

i got tired of reading about men in tights, and fighting with super powers, then i got tired of men and women in regular clothes fighting in scifi and fantasy worlds so now I've been reading everything else but.

I used to buy a lot of comic books...

I loved reading DeadPool before Marvel fucked it all up.

Classic comics I read are Howard the Duck, Man-Thing and quirky shit like that.

I read some indie titles, too, which happen to be some of my favorites. Flaming Carrot, Mystery Men (before the movie) and Hellboy are all amazing.

Most mainstream shit sucks now.

Hellboy and Flaming Carrot remain some of my all time favorite comics.

I've met Mike Mignola several times, he's a pretty funny guy.

PICK UP WONDER WOMAN TODAY!!!

If you have a pull and its not on there, CALL NOW. it WILL sell out...VERY quickly.

Oh yeah, read WW THEN Omac.

sorry for the caps, its been a long time since a comic actually surprised me...

Supergirl #1 with a Turner cover is gonna be gold also

I got Omac and days of vengenance and GL rebirth and the ongoing but am now scrambling to find Rann/Thanagar war and Villians United. Who knew these minis would blow up like this

[quote name='SpottedNigel']PICK UP WONDER WOMAN TODAY!!!

If you have a pull and its not on there, CALL NOW. it WILL sell out...VERY quickly.

Oh yeah, read WW THEN Omac.

sorry for the caps, its been a long time since a comic actually surprised me...[/QUOTE]

OMAC tie-in? I'm there!

Oh and as far as comics surprising me, it takes a lot to top Ultimates2 #7 from last week. Oh boy, that was one damn gritty, shocking ending. I still can't believe who they killed...

[quote name='cag1000']Supergirl #1 with a Turner cover is gonna be gold also

I got Omac and days of vengenance and GL rebirth and the ongoing but am now scrambling to find Rann/Thanagar war and Villians United. Who knew these minis would blow up like this[/QUOTE]

Yeah don't I know it. The price on the first printing of Omac #1 shot up big time. Luckily I managed to scrounge up the first printings of the other minis before they became nonexistant.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']OMAC tie-in? I'm there!

Oh and as far as comics surprising me, it takes a lot to top Ultimates2 #7 from last week. Oh boy, that was one damn gritty, shocking ending. I still can't believe who they killed...[/QUOTE]

...WW is worse (meaning better)

...and im just going to play the obvious game and say it was Cap for Ultimates :)

I havent read a comic since the days of Infinity Gaunlet.
Whats a good comic i can just pick up to read these days?
I looked thru some wizards and some things interested me.

How are Exlies and District X ?

Whats Spawn up to these days?

What should I pick up at the store?

[quote name='bobo2k4']I havent read a comic since the days of Infinity Gaunlet.
Whats a good comic i can just pick up to read these days?
I looked thru some wizards and some things interested me.

How are Exlies and District X ?

Whats Spawn up to these days?

What should I pick up at the store?[/QUOTE]

I actually just quit reading Exiles a couple issues ago after reading it from issue 28 to 65. I felt like it was starting to get stale and with this whole House of M and Infinite Crisis silly business going on I had more important fish to fry. Its basically gotten to the point now that any time they need to get people interested they either A) change up the team and kill people off or B) have some super strong villian that they aren't sure they can beat but end up stomping him anyway.

I'm not sure but I believe District X is officially over now that House of M started. Right now Bishop's title for House of M is being called Mutopia X and after flipping through it I wasn't incredibly impressed.

As far as Spawn goes, I have no idea, but the cover art for the current issue looked kind of cool... Hey, its comic books and I'll judge by its cover if I wanna!

Todd MacFarlane said Spawn is getting revamped starting with issue #150. Their's going to be four covers, one by MacFarlane himself. But I haven't read a Spawn comic in years.

Also there are some stories I knew about but never read.

DC's Kingdom Come and the whole Parallax thing

Marvel's Thunderbolts, the Onslaught/Professor X thing and Wolverine's origin

I know there are big books complied of the entire arcs, are there these big books for these arcs? If so, how much do they usually go for at a comic store? On amazon they are going for like $15, which is reasonable.

[quote name='SpottedNigel']...WW is worse (meaning better)

...and im just going to play the obvious game and say it was Cap for Ultimates :)[/QUOTE]

No it wasn't Cap.

And as far as WW goes, I just finished reading. Wow, just.... I mean I could pretty much see it coming from the beginning of the issue (slight foreshadowing) but still when I saw that one panel I just sat there looking at it and thinking about it. Who'd a thunk it?

[quote name='bobo2k4']Also there are some stories I knew about but never read.

I know there are big books complied of the entire arcs, are there these big books for these arcs? If so, how much do they usually go for at a comic store? On amazon they are going for like $15, which is reasonable.[/QUOTE]

I think between $15 and $20 is the average price for a TPB at most retailers (B&N, Border's etc.). There are some that are $30-$35 like From Hell.

Kingdom Come was excellent and I think the parallax thing you speak of is of Zero Hour, which I"m not sure ever truly got the GN/TPB that it was due. If so, then I must find one and buy it.

Kingdom Come was excellent IMO and is pretty easy to find. Some comics that I think are excellent and pretty easy to jump into are the revamped GL, pick up the Tom Strong's, basically anything by Alan Moore. I'll have to look through what I have and come back to you and this question.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']No it wasn't Cap.

And as far as WW goes, I just finished reading. Wow, just.... I mean I could pretty much see it coming from the beginning of the issue (slight foreshadowing) but still when I saw that one panel I just sat there looking at it and thinking about it. Who'd a thunk it?[/QUOTE]

In the Ultimates, it's gotta be Black Widow.

I've been reading:
House of M (all books and tie-ins but Hulk)
X-men
New Avengers
Amazing Spider-Man

What is the deal with Superman/ Wonder Woman thing? I don't read DC that much. How does The Teen Titans and outsiders fit in with it?

The outsiders have been taking tips from Deathstroke who was pretending to be batman and the teen titans have time traveled (ties into infinite crisis) and the Donna Troy stuff figures in as well

I have a question. What is an Omega-level mutant? I was doing some looking on Wikipedia and came across that term. I then read something about Gambit being a possible Omega-level mutant. I have tried searching but I have yet to find a real answer. It seems like it has to do with mental powers but beyond that I don't know.

[quote name='bobo2k4']Also there are some stories I knew about but never read.

I know there are big books complied of the entire arcs, are there these big books for these arcs? If so, how much do they usually go for at a comic store? On amazon they are going for like $15, which is reasonable.[/QUOTE]

Kingdom Come you can find at any comic book or Bookstore. $14.99

Thunderbolts only 1st 7 issues are in TPB. There is a new restart of the series that has a TPB too.

Onslaught comes in 7 TPB. Prices Varies.

Origin comes in a hardcover and TPB. Hardcover is 29.99 . Soft 19.99 I think.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I have a question. What is an Omega-level mutant? I was doing some looking on Wikipedia and came across that term. I then read something about Gambit being a possible Omega-level mutant. I have tried searching but I have yet to find a real answer. It seems like it has to do with mental powers but beyond that I don't know.[/QUOTE]

The power to destroy planets I think. Phoenix and Gambit were some. Onslaught was too.

Oh yeah Is there any interest in Buy the House of m #1 variant cover?

[quote name='WeaponX2099']In the Ultimates, it's gotta be Black Widow.

I've been reading:
House of M (all books and tie-ins but Hulk)
X-men
New Avengers
Amazing Spider-Man

What is the deal with Superman/ Wonder Woman thing? I don't read DC that much. How does The Teen Titans and outsiders fit in with it?[/QUOTE]

Yeah I made the mistake of picking up the Hulk tie-in. Apparently the Incredible Hulk sucks in no matter what alternate dimension/twisted reality your in. I mean really why has that guy been around so long. Ohhhh I'm mad, I'm green, I'm a rage of emotions... Oops, should have put spoiler warning in there cause I think I just gave away all of the Hulk's storylines.

As far as Superman/Wonder Woman and Teen Titans and Outsiders... It would take pages to sum it all up. One major theme between those 2 is that Superman/boy is easily manipulated...

[quote name='WeaponX2099']The power to destroy planets I think. Phoenix and Gambit were some. Onslaught was too.

Oh yeah Is there any interest in Buy the House of m #1 variant cover?[/QUOTE]

They dealt with that in X-Men Phoenix Endsong. Quentin something or other (an X-student) was also an Omega.

I thought being an Omega level meant they had the potential to reach the final stages of mutation and their powers, could be wrong though. And I think it was Quentin Quire aka Kid Omega you were thinking of RvB.

bread's done
Back