Let's talk Skyrim! (Gameplay footage inside.)

Finished the main quest. I still have the Dark Brotherhood to do and some Daedric quests, but I think I'm going to wait on those for awhile. I'm a little burnt out. Maybe when some DLC drops.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Finished the main quest. I still have the Dark Brotherhood to do and some Daedric quests, but I think I'm going to wait on those for awhile. I'm a little burnt out. Maybe when some DLC drops.[/QUOTE]

Too bad the 360 bought out Bethesda like they did with COD.

PS3 gets it a month after 360 =/

[quote name='Brainberry']Too bad the 360 bought out Bethesda like they did with COD.

PS3 gets it a month after 360 =/[/QUOTE]

Depending on when it comes out, I may prefer that. It's better than Fallout 3 where it took a year after the 360 release.

Got attacked by 2 dragons at the same time, a frost and a blood dragon. Too busy healing myself to put up much of an attack. After 30 minutes of barely scratching them, I ducked into a nearby mine that the Forsworn were in. Cleaned that out, and when I exited only the frost dragon remained. Picked him off easily.
Finally got my smithing skill up to 100 and put together a set of Dragonplate armor, and a set of Dragonscale armor (which I prefer as it's much lighter and almost as strong). Got most of a suit of Daedric armor and a couple of weapons. Gonna need more Ebony ingots, but I mined all the ore out of Gloombound Mine, so I need money. Just started the Companions missions, but right now it's LSU football time.

So I recently got the "Ancient Knowledge" effect and decided to downgrade my heavy armor set to Dwarven, since a few loss of points in armor rating is ok with the newly given 25% overall bonus if wearing full Dwarven set. Except I didn't get the 25% dwarven armor bonus, lame.

I do have Well Fitted perk (25%), but not Matching set perk (yet). I was hoping Well Fitted and Ancient Knowledge would stack for 50% bonus since I'm not level 70 in Heavy Armor for Matching Set yet. Am I wrong to want a 50% then 75% bonus for wearing full dwarven before I find better quality sets?

Quest regarding Markarth:

I did the quest for clearing out the corruption in the city of Markarth, including killing the old man and breaking out of the mines and having the battle in the streets. After the battle in the streets I left the city and as far as I knew had no bounty on my head.

But everytime I go to the city, they stop me for "murder and conspiracy". Now this wouldn't be much of an issue, but I can't tell if the whole city is glitched or if I am condemned from the city.

When I try to pay them off they won't take it ("no way, not for this"), and when I select "I submit, take me to jail", they don't do anything. The guard says I'll spend the rest of my days in the mines, but doesn't take me there. After I pick "I submit", one option pops up that says "what's the problem". If I push that, it just brings me back to being able to try to pay them off, resist arrest or go to jail.

I wonder if I am banned from the city now?

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Quest regarding Markarth:

I did the quest for clearing out the corruption in the city of Markarth, including killing the old man and breaking out of the mines and having the battle in the streets. After the battle in the streets I left the city and as far as I knew had no bounty on my head.

But everytime I go to the city, they stop me for "murder and conspiracy". Now this wouldn't be much of an issue, but I can't tell if the whole city is glitched or if I am condemned from the city.

When I try to pay them off they won't take it ("no way, not for this"), and when I select "I submit, take me to jail", they don't do anything. The guard says I'll spend the rest of my days in the mines, but doesn't take me there. After I pick "I submit", one option pops up that says "what's the problem". If I push that, it just brings me back to being able to try to pay them off, resist arrest or go to jail.

[/QUOTE]

I think it glitched. I don't remember having a battle in the streets. After I killed the prison leader guy and escaped, the guy from the treasury came up to me and thanked me.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']
I think it glitched. I don't remember having a battle in the streets. After I killed the prison leader guy and escaped, the guy from the treasury came up to me and thanked me.
[/QUOTE]

After I escaped from prison, there was an official-looking guy + guards waiting for us. After a small speech, everyone started fighting each other. Am I missing something here? It didn't seem glitched when I got out of the mines because they were saying we (the Forsworn leader and his crew) weren't going to get away with this.

I cannot dispute though that it seems odds I am not friendly with the Fornsworn (something that has happened for other people) and none of the guards will let me do anything in the city

I think I must have mis-spec'd my character somehow. I'm mid-40s Battlemage (1h magic 1h sword), and I get annihilated in boss fights. Brutalized. Dragon fights are no cakewalk either. And if I spar against 2+ humans at a time, especially mages, it's terribly difficult. I die a hell of a lot.

I'm only on Adept, so I have no idea why it's such a struggle. It just seems like attacks cut through my armor like butter. I get one-shot by a power attack with 50% health left quite a lot. It's getting aggravating. Been dumping perks in Resto/Destro/1H/Light Armor.

Anyone have any tips or suggestions? I'm on PC, so I can respec if need be. But it's getting tiresome struggling with average caves.

[quote name='JustYourAverageJoe']I think I must have mis-spec'd my character somehow. I'm mid-40s Battlemage (1h magic 1h sword), and I get annihilated in boss fights. Brutalized. Dragon fights are no cakewalk either. And if I spar against 2+ humans at a time, especially mages, it's terribly difficult. I die a hell of a lot.

I'm only on Adept, so I have no idea why it's such a struggle. It just seems like attacks cut through my armor like butter. I get one-shot by a power attack with 50% health left quite a lot. It's getting aggravating. Been dumping perks in Resto/Destro/1H/Light Armor.

Anyone have any tips or suggestions? I'm on PC, so I can respec if need be. But it's getting tiresome struggling with average caves.[/QUOTE]

I'm a battle Mage also, but I'm only level 23. So far I haven't had too many problems winning fights. What weapon are you using? I have the mace of magubol in my right hand and fast heal in my left. I also use the fire shout, so I'm pretty powerful. And using bows and arrows is the best way to kill dragons, even if you put no points into archery.

[quote name='JustYourAverageJoe']I think I must have mis-spec'd my character somehow. I'm mid-40s Battlemage (1h magic 1h sword), and I get annihilated in boss fights. Brutalized. Dragon fights are no cakewalk either. And if I spar against 2+ humans at a time, especially mages, it's terribly difficult. I die a hell of a lot.

Anyone have any tips or suggestions? I'm on PC, so I can respec if need be. But it's getting tiresome struggling with average caves.[/QUOTE]

I cannot express how much buying the static first perks in 1H and Light Armor help. I'm a thief build (1H/Light Armor/Sneak/Resto) and had struggles before with any boss fights after I got caught sneaking but now that I bumped the statics up to the highest I can go, I can take most anything on. With the perks, my set of Dark Brotherhood Armor has higher armor than Dragonplate Armor.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']
After I escaped from prison, there was an official-looking guy + guards waiting for us. After a small speech, everyone started fighting each other. Am I missing something here? It didn't seem glitched when I got out of the mines because they were saying we (the Forsworn leader and his crew) weren't going to get away with this.

I cannot dispute though that it seems odds I am not friendly with the Fornsworn (something that has happened for other people) and none of the guards will let me do anything in the city
[/QUOTE]
Ah. I killed the Forsworn in the mines, so that might be the difference.

Battlemage here.
I highly recommend conjuration.
It's very easy to level up so don't worry about respecing. Using a bound 1-h sword will increase your conjuration on each attack, as well as your 1-h. Then your summons can deal a great amount of damage and even tank for you. I was in this one dungeon not to long ago where I accidently
fell through this one water-trap pit and was going to be killed by this soul-trap happy mage. I just summoned a flame atronach on the other side and it was able to take down the boss solo on Master mode

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Quest regarding Markarth:

[/QUOTE]
Something clearly went wrong previous to your escape then. I've gone back to the city plenty and have no bounty nor am I stopped at the gate. In fact, the fighting died down and I'm finding the bodies of the escapees littering the streets now lol. Seems their little uprising didn't go so well. . .

[quote name='Jodou']Something clearly went wrong previous to your escape then. I've gone back to the city plenty and have no bounty nor am I stopped at the gate. In fact, the fighting died down and I'm finding the bodies of the escapees littering the streets now lol. Seems their little uprising didn't go so well. . .[/QUOTE]

I find dead Forsworn around the city as well, and there were a ton of guards around too (before I killed many of them). Don't know what went wrong there, as I was supposed to escape with them but after that, something just got destroyed. Can't enter the city, can't find the Forsworn leader, Forsworn still try to murder me on sight. Don't know what happened?

Unless you are a super powerful Mage who can tear through people with magic before they start landing on you, Health attributes are important.

My cat mage still gets one-shotted now and then but I haven't spent a single level-up on Health.

It balances out though when you have two Thralls at your side and can one-shot a lot of baddies yourself. *Mmm...Chain Lightning*

What are you folks putting points into anyways?

I only used 8 level ups on Magic. 5 on Stamina and the rest on health. It's kinda strange as a mage, but I'm getting -% costs on my spells anyways. So I figured I don't need much mana.

[quote name='Fell Open Ian']My cat mage still gets one-shotted now and then but I haven't spent a single level-up on Health.

It balances out though when you have two Thralls at your side and can one-shot a lot of baddies yourself. *Mmm...Chain Lightning*[/QUOTE]
Are the Thrall spells more powerful than their lesser selves? I figured they had the same power, the only difference was they're staying time.

[quote name='RabbitSuit']What are you folks putting points into anyways?

I only used 8 level ups on Magic. 5 on Stamina and the rest on health. It's kinda strange as a mage, but I'm getting -% costs on my spells anyways. So I figured I don't need much mana.[/QUOTE]
I put most of mine into MP. I never put a single one into stamina.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Are the Thrall spells more powerful than their lesser selves? I figured they had the same power, the only difference was they're staying time.[/QUOTE]

I believe that they are the same.

The key to the fun, however, is the Dead Thrall spell as you can actively seek out rad NPCs to be your zombie buddies and you can even store items on their dead bodies so that when you raise them they'll actually use said items. (weapons mostly)

Without spoiling things with specifics I will say that using someone who was a bastard to defeat in life or someone who casts unique spells/abilities and/or conjures as your Thrall is where it's at.

But don't they turn to dust if defeated? I think summoning the Dremora Lord is easier. I got the Flame Thrall spell, and I can't even cast it at full MP. I'm sure if I took the 50% Master level spell cost reduction perk, I'd be able to cast it, but I don't see it being beneficial. I also invested my perks in the Atronach summoning and not undead summoning.

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I've put too many points into Mana/Magic and not enough into health or stamina. It made sense at the time given the high cost of spells, but now that I'm lvl 50 I'll soon be enchanting armor that makes mana cost negligible, I might just redistribute my points via console. Honestly, it's one reason I'm playing this game on PC as I made a horrible build for Oblivion on the 360. I didn't realize my mistake until I was too invested in my game, so that made the game much harder than it needed to be.

[quote name='JustYourAverageJoe']Thanks for the advice guys. I think I've put too many points into Mana/Magic and not enough into health or stamina. It made sense at the time given the high cost of spells, but now that I'm lvl 50 I'll soon be enchanting armor that makes mana cost negligible, I might just redistribute my points via console. Honestly, it's one reason I'm playing this game on PC as I made a horrible build for Oblivion on the 360. I didn't realize my mistake until I was too invested in my game, so that made the game much harder than it needed to be.[/QUOTE]

Stamina IMO is essentially useless, especially for a mage, unless you find yourself running around very close to your carrying capacity. If you stay underweight confortably though, you don't need stamina investments.

I find getting stamina for carrying capacity useless. You get +5 pounds per every level pumped into it. It should just be for sprinting/power attacking and the occasional roll here and there. You folks should look into the steed stone blessing if you have issues with weight. +100 carry capacity definitely makes me richer after leaving a dungeon.

And the Heavy Armor/Light Armor perks to remove weight cost aren't half bad either.

[quote name='RabbitSuit']I find getting stamina for carrying capacity useless. You get +5 pounds per every level pumped into it. It should just be for sprinting/power attacking and the occasional roll here and there. You folks should look into the steed stone blessing if you have issues with weight. +100 carry capacity definitely makes me richer after leaving a dungeon.

And the Heavy Armor/Light Armor perks to remove weight cost aren't half bad either.[/QUOTE]

Yep, I started off using Heavy Armor but since getting the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild armor, I've been making the transition into Light Armor. Working towards getting that weightless armor.

[quote name='RabbitSuit']I find getting stamina for carrying capacity useless. You get +5 pounds per every level pumped into it. It should just be for sprinting/power attacking and the occasional roll here and there. You folks should look into the steed stone blessing if you have issues with weight. +100 carry capacity definitely makes me richer after leaving a dungeon.

And the Heavy Armor/Light Armor perks to remove weight cost aren't half bad either.[/QUOTE]

I too find it not worthwhile only getting +5 carry weight added per level up if put into stamina. Even if you wear +stamina armor/rings, you don't get that bonus carry weight. I'm too used to Strength/Endurance bonus and Feather from Morrowind/Oblivion giving carry weight+, carry weight is harder to find in this game. I do need stamina for shield and power attacks though, so I put some into it.

If you are having max carry weight problems, The Steed Stone was mentioned at +100 carry weight (and gives you the perk of armor weighing zero if you have it equipped, without having to spend the perk point).

But level 50 pickpocket also has a perk of +100 carry weight, with I believe only 2 perk prerequisites.

For extra carrying capacity I use a high-end but low-weight (elven, glass, so forth) set of gear and enchant it with +carry weight. The set will be around 7-10 pounds but let you carry an extra ~100 or so. Good for if you don't want to spend points in pickpocketing or change your stone. (potions help but I prefer the set)

I'm thinking about giving a Blood Battle Mage a shot and putting most of my level-ups into Health and then just using Equilibrium to refill my pool.

edit: Patch is live in Europe on PS3. (should trickle-down to the rest of the territories and platforms soon)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Kazaganthi']But level 50 pickpocket also has a perk of +100 carry weight, with I believe only 2 perk prerequisites.[/QUOTE]
Waste of points. If you can't get by with the allotted 300 limit, plus stamina then you're doing something wrong. Keep in mind a companion can carry up to the same so just offload dragon scales and such to them as a priority until you can dump them in an owned house/sell.

I really hope they can hurry up and fix these issues with memory caching. I constantly get dumped to desktop due to these shitty allocations set by their console port and the last patch broke the workaround. There's also some horrible optimization going on with weather effects. I've noticed that during a storm I will get really bad mouse lag and FPS even after entering new areas. I don't know what the issue is but snow doesn't produce it and perhaps it's more of an issue with the constant crashing/restarting.

I think perhaps I just need to dump the memory cache every once in a while by loading up another game because after coming back to it after playing Dead Island I noticed considerable improvement.

Jodou, just ~ PCB every now and then and it should help.

Also, my understanding was that the LAA tool was soon updated after the Steam patch. (?...not been keeping up with the PC version)

I guess it's the lack of mod tools but it's strange that they aren't hooking the Steam version with a *.DLL tied to the overlay. Modifying the *.EXE is the quickest way without the tools I guess but it likely breaks the rules of Steam and thus puts people's accounts at risk. (not that Valve would do anything for this but still)

[quote name='Fell Open Ian']Jodou, just ~ PCB every now and then and it should help.

Also, my understanding was that the LAA tool was soon updated after the Steam patch. (?...not been keeping up with the PC version)[/QUOTE]
I've been wary of even opening the console because I wanted my first character playthrough to be completely legit, with the achievements to prove it. I had a feeling cell buffers were the culprit though, since fast traveling a lot will land me on the desktop pretty quick or textures will start to go missing. Once I beat the game I'm thinking of making a time lapse video with cell buffers set to 11 though. Considering I'd be filming at 1 FPS, I just hope the engine can handle it without crashing lol.

I guess I'll check up on the LAA again because I know it wasn't updated the day after patch.

[quote name='Fell Open Ian']Using the console at all kills achievements? Wow. I mean I understand why but not for a Bethesda game sheesh. :p[/QUOTE]
I hear such conflicting reports that I just didn't want to risk it. I don't think just using it, even on accident, does it but I'd imagine certain commands will. The game starts up fast enough for me that it's just a minor inconvenience and the lag only really starts to affect gameplay if I've been marathoning all day. Usually if I take breaks it doesn't get to that point.

1.2 changelog:

UPDATE 1.2 NOTES (all platforms unless specified)

• Improved occasional performance issues resulting from long term play (PlayStation 3)
  • Fixed issue where textures would not properly upgrade when installed to drive (Xbox 360)
  • Fixed crash on startup when audio is set to sample rate other than 44100Hz (PC)
  • Fixed issue where projectiles did not properly fade away
  • Fixed occasional issue where a guest would arrive to the player’s wedding dead
  • Dragon corpses now clean up properly
  • Fixed rare issue where dragons would not attack
  • Fixed rare NPC sleeping animation bug
  • Fixed rare issue with dead corpses being cleared up prematurely
  • Skeleton Key will now work properly if player has no lockpicks in their inventory
  • Fixed rare issue with renaming enchanted weapons and armor
  • Fixed rare issue with dragons not properly giving souls after death
  • ESC button can now be used to exit menus (PC)
  • Fixed occasional mouse sensitivity issues (PC)
  • General functionality fixes related to remapping buttons and controls (PC)
You'll note that the PS3 issue has been improved but not fixed and, judging by the impressions, improved is a highly subjective word indeed. :whistle2:(

Also noteworthy is that apparently part of the PS3's performance improvement comes at the expense of image quality. All third-hand mind you as the patch isn't live in NA yet.

I'm going to setup a proper test-bed on the PS3 and wipe clean all of the Skyrim data and saves, rebuild the database, install the game data then patches, and start a new game. That's well above and beyond that which any user should do but it'll give me a more accurate baseline to work from.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Fell Open Ian']Fixed occasional issue where a guest would arrive to the player’s wedding dead[/QUOTE]
LOL. OK, this did not need fixing; that would be fucking hilarious. Also, what patch did PC get if not 1.2 already? I know Skyrim was updated because Steam forced me to allow some sort of update days ago. Mouse lag fix is good news because that shit was driving me insane, although the underlying culprit was usually poor FPS/optimization to begin with.

Hopefully there's more unlisted patch notes that fix the CB, otherwise it's a pretty worthless patch for PC since my keybinds were near original setting. Where the hell is our proper LAA fix Bethesda?

The last Steam patch was to tie the *.EXE to Steam as the LAA patch was allowing people to run Skyrim outside of Steam. (not kosher for Steamworks titles)

That was why the LAA patch broke and needed to be fixed.

I've never used companions before. I heard they get their stats the moment you get them, so I've kinda avoided them like the plague. That and I can summon two Frost Demons on demand if I ever need assistance. So I can't really use them for storage. I wish I could get that perk in pickpocketing, but I can't justify using the points. I mean, there's an unbreakable artifact lockpick in the game, so that whole tree seems kinda mehish to me.

I am very interested to see how the quality of the graphics are changed with the patch. I am obviously in NA, but I expect the patch soon. I wouldn't be too happy with suddenly having pop-in environments or something due to the patch.

I had horrible lag as well a week ago but fixed it myself by deleting all of the messages sent/received. Worked like a charm.

[quote name='Fell Open Ian']The last Steam patch was to tie the *.EXE to Steam as the LAA patch was allowing people to run Skyrim outside of Steam. (not kosher for Steamworks titles)

That was why the LAA patch broke and needed to be fixed.[/QUOTE]
Motherfuckers. . .and people wonder why I hate being forced to use Steam. . .[quote name='The Crotch']If I'm not mistaken, you can re-roll a companion's stats by removing him then re-adding him.[/QUOTE]
No shit? Oh wow, Jenassa is about to get a huge buff then LOL. Maybe she can stop giving my position away while we're sneaking too. -_-

If you're far enough along in the story, a good place to do this is
Blades training since you can bring any follower there and make it their permanent home. Just round up your three favorite companions and drop them off.

Well to be fair, mucking around with Steamworks games' executables is a risky and possibly account/VAC ban fraught business to begin with.

The fault lies more with Bethesda for not properly implementing 4+GB memory support and not releasing the mod toolset thus causing the community to fix it in a quick and dirty way by patching the *.EXE rather than doing something more elegant like hooking into the Steam overlay like the Oblivion extenders tend to do on the Steam versions.

1.02 Patch is now live in NA and EU on PS3.

[quote name='Fell Open Ian']Well to be fair, mucking around with Steamworks games' executables is a risky and possibly account/VAC ban fraught business to begin with.[/QUOTE]
The underlying issue is being forced to use Steam itself. To hell with their rules.

[quote name='Fell Open Ian']Well to be fair, mucking around with Steamworks games' executables is a risky and possibly account/VAC ban fraught business to begin with.

The fault lies more with Bethesda for not properly implementing 4+GB memory support and not releasing the mod toolset thus causing the community to fix it in a quick and dirty way by patching the *.EXE rather than doing something more elegant like hooking into the Steam overlay like the Oblivion extenders tend to do on the Steam versions.

1.02 Patch is now live in NA and EU on PS3.[/QUOTE]

Hazah!:applause: Now expect a raging post later today about garbage graphics and pop-in environments. :rofl:

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Stamina IMO is essentially useless, especially for a mage, unless you find yourself running around very close to your carrying capacity. If you stay underweight confortably though, you don't need stamina investments.[/QUOTE]
Wait, I thought Stamina tied into more than just carry weight, sprinting, and fuel for power attacks. Is that wrong? Damn, if so, I might really have to redo my stat distribution. I thought Stamina was more important than that.

So much for the update. Fired up the PS3 after getting home from work, download and install the new update, and start playing. Just killed a dragon 5 minutes ago and am still waiting to absorb its soul. I've only got 4 stockpiled, so it doesn't leave me with too much room to learn more shouts. Is there an offical PS3 site/forum to report this?

[quote name='bigraj']So much for the update. Fired up the PS3 after getting home from work, download and install the new update, and start playing. Just killed a dragon 5 minutes ago and am still waiting to absorb its soul. I've only got 4 stockpiled, so it doesn't leave me with too much room to learn more shouts. Is there an offical PS3 site/forum to report this?[/QUOTE]
I've heard that the corpse has to be still (i.e. not moving, sliding, etc.) for this to trigger. Could that be it? Only thing I've heard that sounds close.

It ain't moving. :)

Skyrimissue00002.jpg

While uploading pics of the non-decomposing dragon to Photobucket, I just witnessed my first flying mammoth. Outside of the choppy framerate that would pop up after playing several hours in a row, I'd had no problems until this afternoon. Thanks, Bethesda!

bread's done
Back