Limited release Fire Emblem for Switch

EvilChamp

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (67%)
So, Nintendo is doing it again. This will only sell for a while and then no more. It is the Fire Emblem 30th Anniversary Edition. Currently only Gamestop has it, but other retailers may get it, too. Once stock is out it is out for good. Doesn't look like they made a lot of these compared to Mario.

The games are digital only, but this box includes codes for them. From website:

This includes a replica NESTM Game Pak art piece, a replica game box with a localized version of the original Famicom instruction manual, protective sleeve and world map, a Mini Nintendo Power retro collectible, hardbound 222 page Legacy of Archanea deluxe art book, and game download code.

I wasn't able to snag one. Please post here if you manage to find someone selling it.
https://www.gamestop.com/video-games/switch/games/products/fire-emblem-30th-anniversary-edition/11111007.html?utm_source=rakutenls&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_content=Nintendo+Everything&utm_campaign=10&utm_kxconfid=tebx5rmj3&cid=afl_10000087&affID=77777&sourceID=qd9XcyEa3J0-KgblvzXVFmGIea8StHp8Ww

3c98200a7705f6ab4b2f28813e3cf5c7-full.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Try echoes. It was amazing.
I got through echoes and it was good. But the "well fortified unit in the back keeps summoning 7 more enemy units every other turn" mechanic ended up dragging on battles beyond the point of enjoyment at times. They really went overboard with it.

I got through echoes and it was good. But the "well fortified unit in the back keeps summoning 7 more enemy units every other turn" mechanic ended up dragging on battles beyond the point of enjoyment at times. They really went overboard with it.
With the fucking lava? It’s been a while but that was bullshit.

I have an extra copy that has a dent on one corner from shipping. Let me know if anyone wants it before I return it to GS. Only asking for cost and shipping from 94597. 

Try echoes. It was amazing.
I second echoes as out of the 3ds titles it offers more older style fire emblem gameplay/characterization. And is affordable unlike the pre awakening entries. Sacred stones I think is on the eshop so that if you have access to whatever platform it's on is worth playing as well.

Yeah all the summoning maps were slogs. It's much easier if you build your army mostly with fliers. Celery gets 3 pegs naturally and you can recruit the one female villager from the home town on Almonds side and promote her to one if you don't have him recruit her. Any others would have to be through free pitchfork dlc. And there's only 3 other girls, the healer, the mage friend and the other mage in the desert. The game really needed the herons from path of radiance for those maps.

With the fucking lava? It’s been a while but that was bullshit.
There was also the swamp one/s as well. All of them were horrible. But outside those and the enemies spawning on the maps it was an otherwise very fun game. Secret dungeon boss was also bs. I made it down to it but couldn't beat it and wasn't interested in the grinding promote regress to villager nonsense supposedly needed to do so.

damn i didn't realize how much fire emblem path of radiance was worth
You think its worth much now you should have seen it over the summer where the price spiked to like $354. 800 for a sealed copy iirc. I heavily contemplated parting with my copy for that kind of moolah.

You think its worth much now you should have seen it over the summer where the price spiked to like $354. 800 for a sealed copy iirc. I heavily contemplated parting with my copy for that kind of moolah.
Ah, Path of Radiance. In true CAG fashion, this game is still my single best deal/find in over 35 years of gaming.

Back when Gamestop was liquidating their Gamecube inventory, all GC games were 90% off. Of course, most of the really good ones were picked over...but for giggles, I looked into Fire Emblem PoR and was amazed to find a copy available at a store about 5 hours away. At the time, it wasn't unusual for Gamestop to transfer inventory between store locations, if requested, so I called up the distant store and asked that it be transferred to my local GS.

Five-six days later, my store called and said that the copy had arrived. I expected to find a disc-only copy, likely in a nonstandard case...only to discover that the copy was near mint in box and included all of the original inserts/pamphlets, including an unused Club Nintendo code for the game. I later found out that the game had been traded in the same day I happened to check inventory and call the distant store. I believe that I paid something like $5-6 out the door.

Ah, Path of Radiance. In true CAG fashion, this game is still my single best deal/find in over 35 years of gaming.

Back when Gamestop was liquidating their Gamecube inventory, all GC games were 90% off. Of course, most of the really good ones were picked over...but for giggles, I looked into Fire Emblem PoR and was amazed to find a copy available at a store about 5 hours away. At the time, it wasn't unusual for Gamestop to transfer inventory between store locations, if requested, so I called up the distant store and asked that it be transferred to my local GS.

Five-six days later, my store called and said that the copy had arrived. I expected to find a disc-only copy, likely in a nonstandard case...only to discover that the copy was near mint in box and included all of the original inserts/pamphlets, including an unused Club Nintendo code for the game. I later found out that the game had been traded in the same day I happened to check inventory and call the distant store. I believe that I paid something like $5-6 out the door.
And then you went and played the lotto, right?

Awesome find, man. I have some rare games I got for cheap back in the day (Xenosaga III for only 25 bucks used comes to mind), but you struck gold :whistle2:o

ah, ai r

Ah, I remember that liquidation. Felt like I stole stuff at 75% off. Got Mario Sunshine, Path of Radiance, Luigi's Mansion and a few others, all mint with near mint pamphlets. I balked at Zelda four swords combo (can't remember the second game) unfortunately but as I recall, it was disk only. Was gone by the time my senses came back.

Damn nice find. I used a price tracker to get my copy for about 35$ off ebay I think. Either there or amazon. And 44 for radiant dawn as well. Since I had just played shadow dragon and liked it enough to go backwards through the series and pick up those 2 and then later get awakening, fates duo, echoes and 3 5 houses.

Damn nice find. I used a price tracker to get my copy for about 35$ off ebay I think. Either there or amazon. And 44 for radiant dawn as well. Since I had just played shadow dragon and liked it enough to go backwards through the series and pick up those 2 and then later get awakening, fates duo, echoes and 3 5 houses.
8d7.gif

edit: Oh, right, there was that expansion. My name is Commander Shepard and I'm the dumbest man on the Citadel.

My FE experience was similar to yours - Awakening was the first game that really caught my attention (given the massive press it had leading up to release). I also ended up getting Radiant Dawn from a second hand store locally, a bit before its price jumped to astronomical levels. At the time, I think a used copy was going for ~$25, though I could easily be mistaken. Thankfully, this particular store allows you to see the full product (case, manuals, etc.) beforehand and I was pleased with the condition of the copy I ended up snagging.

Honestly, I still have a sealed copy of the Echoes: Valentia limited edition that I never got around to opening, let alone playing (cursed backlog...). Once the Switch came out, I made the decision to just keep it sealed and ride out the collectible market - I don't think it'll fetch nearly the same demand as my FE: Fates LE (for obvious reasons), but it's still Fire Emblem and 'limited.'

the TRU and CC clearances were great.
While I also made off like a bandit from the TRU clearances, the CC clearance around 2007-2009 was completely a swing-and-a-miss (at least for me). My one local CC was either picked over early or never had good product to begin with - by the time I was aware and made my first stop to check on inventory, all that was left was shovelware.

On the other hand, I remember seeing an entire stack of Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon for the DS in a clearance rack at a Walmart in southern Overland Park, KS. Each copy was listed at $9.00 at the time and if there were fewer than 50 copies, I'd eat my nonexistent hat. I picked up a copy for my own system/collection and remember thinking: "man, if they're selling this low, the game must be absolute junk...but I'm sure I'll get $9 in value out of it" Doing a quick Ebay check this morning, the cheapest sealed version of this game appears to be around $165 (each)... Ouch.

That CC clearance was amazing.  I ended up with so many good games for cheap prices.  Wish I would have kept a list of what I picked up... but then my wife would have seen how much money I dropped on games that I might, maybe, you know, maybe, play. 

I did just stumble across my sealed copy of Futurama for the Xbox that I picked up there. 

I'm sure I got Path of Radiance there also along with many others.

I'm still sitting on 2 unopened ones. Debating if I return the one with the small corner dent to GS, or try selling it. I got one for my GF, but didn't realize it was a code until I got them lol

My FE experience was similar to yours - Awakening was the first game that really caught my attention (given the massive press it had leading up to release). I also ended up getting Radiant Dawn from a second hand store locally, a bit before its price jumped to astronomical levels. At the time, I think a used copy was going for ~$25, though I could easily be mistaken. Thankfully, this particular store allows you to see the full product (case, manuals, etc.) beforehand and I was pleased with the condition of the copy I ended up snagging.

Honestly, I still have a sealed copy of the Echoes: Valentia limited edition that I never got around to opening, let alone playing (cursed backlog...). Once the Switch came out, I made the decision to just keep it sealed and ride out the collectible market - I don't think it'll fetch nearly the same demand as my FE: Fates LE (for obvious reasons), but it's still Fire Emblem and 'limited.'
They printed a lot of the echoes le so it probably won't go up in price as much. But bare minimum you should be able to get at least what you paid for it and maybe a little extra back. Fates special edition is ridiculous since they did such a small print and it sold out near instantly on amazon. I waited to get birthright years down the road for way cheaper since I refused to pay 80$ just for the 2 games without the 3rd. Nintendo pulling a pokemon with fire emblem thankfully didn't stick. Which is surprising given that they could have easily pulled that crap again with echoes. Houses maybe since the 4 routes are pretty short and all come after the route split halfway through the game. But since they tied the church and eagles route into the same path and diverging shortly after that would have been a bit harder to sell.

I'm still sitting on 2 unopened ones. Debating if I return the one with the small corner dent to GS, or try selling it. I got one for my GF, but didn't realize it was a code until I got them lol
They're not going for much anymore, I'd just return it unless you wanna hold onto it and wait for it to shoot up in 2-3 years.

I dont think you can compare fire emblem with a mainstream title like mario. Received my copy from Amazon today and it actually arrived in good condition!
Doesn't really have much to do with what I said. How is condition or popularity of the IP relevant at all? Fact is, Nintendo likes to sell us on things being limited when in reality, most of the time, they're not.

Doesn't really have much to do with what I said. How is condition or popularity of the IP relevant at all? Fact is, Nintendo likes to sell us on things being limited when in reality, most of the time, they're not.
Dude are you fucking mental? His comment was in direct response to you doubting this FE release would be truly limited.

Dude are you fucking mental? His comment was in direct response to you doubting this FE release would be truly limited.
Gotta say, I agree. At least for Fire Emblem, limited = limited. Nintendo has never swayed from that mantra, and I don't see it happening any differently in this circumstance.

They printed a lot of the echoes le so it probably won't go up in price as much. But bare minimum you should be able to get at least what you paid for it and maybe a little extra back. Fates special edition is ridiculous since they did such a small print and it sold out near instantly on amazon. I waited to get birthright years down the road for way cheaper since I refused to pay 80$ just for the 2 games without the 3rd. Nintendo pulling a pokemon with fire emblem thankfully didn't stick. Which is surprising given that they could have easily pulled that crap again with echoes. Houses maybe since the 4 routes are pretty short and all come after the route split halfway through the game. But since they tied the church and eagles route into the same path and diverging shortly after that would have been a bit harder to sell.
I agree - the Echoes LE is unlikely to be extremely rare and/or valuable. A guy can hope, right?

I got very lucky with the FE: Fates Special Edition. After hearing that it would be the only way to get all three routes on one cartridge, and being somewhat of a collector, I made it a priority to ensure that I got a copy. Not unlike many of you on CAG in similar situations, I ended up securing multiple orders from a couple of retailers - knowing that, sometimes, retailers oversell and if I put all my eggs in one basket, I might end up with a product that's damaged, cancelled, etc. After everything shipped and was picked up, it quickly became apparent that inventory was going to be really limited. So...now I have an opened copy in my collection and three unopened copies that I've been sitting on for a couple of years. One of these days, I'll probably get around to selling them...but maybe not until my wife pesters me to clean out the damn closet. If it hasn't done so before now, I don't imagine that this item will decrease substantially in value over time.

Now if only I had kept my Magic: The Gathering collection from 2000-2005, instead of selling it in 2008. In 2008, it was valued at ~18-20k, which was useful when we were starting our family; although it hurts too much to look carefully at current card prices, the little investigation I've done over the years suggests that its 2020 value would be closer to 75-100k. As an example, the NM English language Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale that I bought for $200 in 2004 was sold for $650 in 2008; today's estimated value for such a card is closer to $2-3.5k.

My favorite TRU clearance was the Halo Reach coupons that made all $20 or less games free. Clearing out stores of nonsense games just to flip was truly amazing lol.
That reminds me of the coupons that Best Buy used to have on all of their gift cards... that combined with GCU was a great time for game buying.

That reminds me of the coupons that Best Buy used to have on all of their gift cards... that combined with GCU was a great time for game buying.
Fairy Tale Fights being the highlight where it was trading to Game Crazy for I want to say $30 EACH. :lol:

Then they literally started going out of business a few weeks later and I dumped all my credit from those trades into stuff that was 50% off. We sure did profit off putting businesses under back then lol.

Wasn’t there a racing game that turned out to be free or nearly free with the Best Buy coupon. Dammit I forgot the name. It came out around the same time as split/second.

Just opened mine, this has to be one of the nicest editions I've gotten in years. Seeing the NES style box and cartridge slide in took me back to my childhood.

Blur was free after coupon I think. I forget what Best Buy’s magazine was called.
Because it was forgettable. BUH DUM TSH.

@Gamer was their awful attempt at creating their own Game Informer magazine, and I can still remember thumbing through one in the store and seeing reviews with social bubbles sprinkled throughout that said "Look at these amazing graphics". Sad thing is, I'm not even joking.

Relax and breathe. He's saying that it will be different because FE isn't as well known. That's a rather objective statement - not that Mario is more popular, but that FE is somehow the default threshold for following through with limited releases. I was speaking in general, so saying "not the same because FE is not Mario" is not much of a substantial nor relevant answer. Also irrelevant is the fact that he received his copy of FE. I received Mario 3d All-Stars...so what? Has absolutely nothing to do with my post lol. Next time think before hulking out.

Relax and breathe. He's saying that it will be different because FE isn't as well known. That's a rather objective statement - not that Mario is more popular, but that FE is somehow the default threshold for following through with limited releases. I was speaking in general, so saying "not the same because FE is not Mario" is not much of a substantial nor relevant answer. Also irrelevant is the fact that he received his copy of FE. I received Mario 3d All-Stars...so what? Has absolutely nothing to do with my post lol. Next time think before hulking out.
FYI receving my copy from amazon in good condition wasn't for you. It was to let people in the thread know that amazon might actually deliver their copy in good condition. What are you even talking about? Mario is more popular and therefore will have more copies produced.

FYI receving my copy from amazon in good condition wasn't for you. It was to let people in the thread know that amazon might actually deliver their copy in good condition. What are you even talking about? Mario is more popular and therefore will have more copies produced.
I’m convinced this guy is just one of those maladjusted gamers that give us all a bad rap. Can’t win any logical arguments.

I think we may have been arguing about different things, then.

My original claim: an offhand comment saying Nintendo may or may not actually make this limited, as they tend to pretend things are limited to increase sales when in reality it's abundantly stocked.

Then you said: Don't compare Mario to FE because they're not equally popular.

My response: The comparative popularity of the two games is a moot point; faking "limited supply" is a global strategy regardless of the overall popularity of IP. They are disingenuous about "limited" across the board.

I’m convinced this guy is just one of those maladjusted gamers that give us all a bad rap. Can’t win any logical arguments.
giphy-61.gif

I think we may have been arguing about different things, then.

My original claim: an offhand comment saying Nintendo may or may not actually make this limited, as they tend to pretend things are limited to increase sales when in reality it's abundantly stocked.

Then you said: Don't compare Mario to FE because they're not equally popular.

My response: The comparative popularity of the two games is a moot point; faking "limited supply" is a global strategy regardless of the overall popularity of IP. They are disingenuous about "limited" across the board.

giphy-61.gif
I concede that your point is valid about popularity being a determinant for the degree of 'limited.'

However, experience indicates that Nintendo generally treats limited as limited (pandemic or not). This observation seems to be especially valid for limited FE items, which tend to be quite rare by comparison to other forms of their IP.

stopped at my gamestop to pickup an order and they still had the 2 copies of fire emblem. Maybe if they allowed people to search inventory on the website, they would have sold by now

the Gamestop in Mall of America has 1 available

Was in the back inside a glass case, it was in mint condition as I looked at it

bread's done
Back