Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
People that order every game from LRG no matter what... Don't understand you. ;)

People that only order 1 game that interests them, do.

Just browsed the LRG forums... Looks like they will be doing the sub crap. Almost everyone on there is already throwing their money at them.
There are a few people trying to explain the downfall to it, and they are getting attacked.

Just do a pre order system, and maybe have to print a 2nd run...
I would think that's normal. The people most vested in LRG are likely involved with the community. I wonder what the results will be if they put that same poll on the front page of their website.

I've had no problem getting all of the Vita releases and a couple PS4 releases I wanted. It sounds like Soldner was more difficult for some people, but all in all it seems as if the current model on the whole is just fine. People who really want a game have two shots at getting it if they buy it at the time it goes on sale. Perhaps putting a strict one copy per person limit on releases that will be in high demand is the best solution. I wonder how many people would have been left out had Soldner had a limit of one per person from the get-go? I imagine there would have been a lot less issues had the limit been in place. A subscription model can still have its own set of problems. I don't see why Limited Run Games would want to mess with a system that is working by changing to something that will create more work and hassle for them only because the most recent release had a minority of people who have been very vocal about their disappointment in not getting the game they wanted. I think they should do a few more releases and see how those work out before overreacting and implementing a subscription model.

I'd be in for that $30 if I genuinely believed it would guarantee me a copy. If they have 5000 members, the print runs had better be able to accommodate all of them. Plus, unlike you guys, I'd be happy with the shirts and other swag.
That's exactly what they are proposing it would do. They would guarantee a copy for each member and then anything beyond that goes to the regular process of open sale at a set time.

The current system is fine. Deadline lasted more than a day as did a few others. Shooters and RPGs will fly due to the fanbase and ablity to hold value. The Vita's niche is going to make those releases more desirable as well. Just use some judgement and be ready for releases.

They think they are only getting 100 members which isn't happening. If they roll this out, people are going to drop the money. They should be limiting these memberships to 500-1000. If they can't afford to do big print runs, they won't be able to guarantee non member stock if they allow anyone to sign up
I don't so much dislike the idea, so much as how this will all be done. They still have major hiccups with their system as it sits today. So who in their right mind is going to add anything to something that currently isn't running 100%?

Why not address and fix some of the current issues before going off in to new avenues? This just seems like putting the cart in front of the horse to me, just to try and calm a certain small segment of their user base due to numerous issues they had last week.

Considering this wasn't their first release, the problems they had, shouldn't have happened, but instead of addressing those specific problems, they are reacting by trying to do something that completely changes the base formula that they have seen success using thus far.

As it sits, I won't be spending the $30 for what is currently being discussed, but for some different or better benefits, I may consider it down the road, or if I see this is going cause me issues on release days, I may have to join if I want to or not(which sucks).

That's exactly what they are proposing it would do. They would guarantee a copy for each member and then anything beyond that goes to the regular process of open sale at a set time.
Then I think it's a fantastic idea. I want these games because I like supporting physical media - I hate the digital trend. I'm not here for flipping or rarity or whatever else, so I wouldn't be butthurt over bigger runs. The more the merrier. If they can show developers the interest and people willing to pay an annual fee for a chance to buy their games I'm sure it'd only help convince them.

I 100% support paying a $30 annual fee to be guaranteed one copy of each release. And to be clear, I would not buy every release, because I only buy games that I want to play, not to hoard or flip for a profit. I bought only Xeodrifter and Soldner so far, but would still gladly pay that fee. I think it's a good way to make sure that Vita fans and collectors would be able to get these releases, without major hassles. It would also be a way to weed out the flippers a bit. Kudos to LRG for coming up with this idea I think it's fantastic!

EDIT: This is also a way to support LRG in their efforts to bring out physical games. If people really want to see their efforts continue, they should have no problem with a small fee like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Membership?!?!  I love you LRG but NOOOOOO, NOOO, NOOO, noooo no just no.  I have gotten every vita release they had except for B&C, and this just fills me with gloom and despair.

I have no problem with the shirt what not.  It's just the "Get early access to order 1 copy per platform before it officially goes live" thing that irks me.  Your dealing with a limited product, all this is going to do is make everyone sign up for it if they ever want to get any release and all those people are in the same boat as we are now trying to snag a copy.  While those who don't sign up will never get a copy period.  There is no benefit in this to a consumer.

Now if you want to offer say free shipping with it fine.  Maybe a members get priority when it comes to shipping their copies so they get their sent out first.  Or even discount like something along the lines of you 5 releases you get one free or half off.  Hell even maybe a free protective case with each order since I'm ordering one with every release as is.

Unless their moving away from a limited fixed run which I be fine with as personally I'm not buying because their "limited" and their going to be rare.  I'm buying because I like my games physical, and it just if I don't get them now when available, I'll never will.  But I don't see that happening as they need fixed numbers when negotiating with the developers.  Bottom line any type of "early" access as is just going to make things worse, not better.

.....sorry for the rant I've had a long crappy day :whistle2:|

Membership?!?! I love you LRG but NOOOOOO, NOOO, NOOO, noooo no just no. I have gotten every vita release they had except for B&C, and this just fills me with gloom and despair.

I have no problem with the shirt what not. It's just the "Get early access to order 1 copy per platform before it officially goes live" thing that irks me. Your dealing with a limited product, all this is going to do is make everyone sign up for it if they ever want to get any release and all those people are in the same boat as we are now trying to snag a copy. While those who don't sign up will never get a copy period. There is no benefit in this to a consumer.

Now if you want to offer say free shipping with it fine. Maybe a members get priority when it comes to shipping their copies so they get their sent out first. Or even discount like something along the lines of you 5 releases you get one free or half off. Hell even maybe a free protective case with each order since I'm ordering one with every release as is.

Unless their moving away from a limited fixed run which I be fine with as personally I'm not buying because their "limited" and their going to be rare. I'm buying because I like my games physical, and it just if I don't get them now when available, I'll never will. But I don't see that happening as they need fixed numbers when negotiating with the developers. Bottom line any type of "early" access as is just going to make things worse, not better.

.....sorry for the rant I've had a long crappy day :whistle2:|
You do know that it's just 30 lousy bucks they're talking about? You act like they want your first born child. Why make sure such a big deal about it? If you don't want to pay the fee, you don't have to. 😉

I frankly dislike subscription models, esp if it doesn't really get you anything, like this. I also only buy the LRG games I want and that will be Cosmic Star Heroine and that Waifu Bar Simulator. If they do this, and I can only get those games through this subscription....count me out. 

They should just do preorders, this subscription service is a bad idea. As a CAG my $30 would be better spent on a game rather than on a better chance to order a game from Limited Run. I also have zero interest in the shirt and sticker, it really isn't much of an incentive.

With a preorder system, people can't complain (although I'm sure they will) they didn't have an opportunity to get the game they are interested in.

I'm sure Limited Run has good intentions, but there are better ways than they are proposing.

You do know that it's just 30 lousy bucks they're talking about? You act like they want your first born child. Why make sure such a big deal about it? If you don't want to pay the fee, you don't have to. 😉
If I want at even an attempt of snagging one copy of a game, yeah I will. Your acting like the membership guarantees you a copy, it doesn't. All it will guarantee besides the shirt, sticker, and membership card is you get a chance to do the same thing your doing now just at a earlier date than those who wouldn't have a membership. If the run numbers stay the same around the same say 3000 copies, and you have 5000 paid members who have a earlier access to buy a copy, how is that any different that what were going through right now? You still have to fight for one and you still might loose out. While the post membership sale is then canceled because they already sold the freaking out during the member sale.

Plus it isn't going to deter any flippers. Listings go up immediately at 300% plus than the original cost, $30 isn't going to make much of a dent to them and even if it did they'll just pad the extra cost onto their price.

You want to stop flippers? You want to easier time to those who just want a copy to play and own? Then you have to remove the limited run numbers. It the only freaking way it's going to happen. Whether that even be a full pre-paid pre-order like fangamer just had for the vita version of shovel knight or something else along those lines, fine I can get behind that. Anything else isn't going to make things any easier getting a copy and believe me I wish it was.

http://www.mightyrabbitstudios.com/limitedrunforums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=520&p=11281#p11281

"The way it would probably work is every member would get an email saying would you be interested in buying this game early? Click yes or no. Yes gets you a code to use for your account, no means you are locked out for early access. We would print at least how many said yes plus whatever amount we needed to in order to meet outside demand. The reality is we will probably only have 50-100 members. It's exclusive to the forum! Woof. Just let it go, you don't have to have a membership."

You guys are misunderstanding.

They should just do preorders, this subscription service is a bad idea. As a CAG my $30 would be better spent on game rather than on a better chance to order a game from Limited Run. I also have zero interest in the shirt and sticker, it really isn't much of an incentive.

With a preorder system, people can't complain (although I'm sure they will) they didn't have an opportunity to get the game they are interested in.

I'm sure Limited Run has good intentions, but there are better ways than they are proposing.
Like what? I keep reading this from people but nobody has any reasonable alternatives that don't involve a preorder program that they have already explained that they cannot do.

http://www.mightyrabbitstudios.com/limitedrunforums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=520&p=11281#p11281

"The way it would probably work is every member would get an email saying would you be interested in buying this game early? Click yes or no. Yes gets you a code to use for your account, no means you are locked out for early access. We would print at least how many said yes plus whatever amount we needed to in order to meet outside demand. The reality is we will probably only have 50-100 members. It's exclusive to the forum! Woof. Just let it go, you don't have to have a membership."

Crap almighty. Why couldn't they state that at the freaking beginning? They really need to explain things better. Still this goes to what I've been saying in order to do this they have to print more outside of a set number that they have been doing. Yes the way their describing it, it's still going to a a preset number and your going to have to say yes months in advance. If it's truely this way I might be ok with it then.

Still it's funny they're expecting it only to be 50 to 100 people who sign up. If so I have a bridge to sell you.

$30 lousy bucks for a physical copy of a $3 game........

oh wait, $60. $30 for the sub, $30 for the game + Shipping.

for the $30 keep the shirt and crap, and quit charging shipping.

~~~~

You know what will happen.

They start the Sub feature, a bunch of people throw money at them just cause.

They poll the subs on who will buy the next game, vast majority of those subs want said game.

LRG prints a ton of extra copies thinking the general public that didn't sub will also want the game.

99% of those that *want* the game are subs. LRG has a stockpile of leftover unsold games.

Next time LRG prints a smaller batch for the next game. Everyone, subs and non subs, want the game. Sells out in record time. LRG still has copies of the previous game for sale.

LRG needs to always print the same number, say 5000 copies, and let those that sub have first crack at the new game a day early, put up like 1000-1500 for subs only LIMIT 1 COPY PERIOD. the next day everyone can order.

And quit allowing 2 per person... 1 per account for everyone. *IF* the game doesn't sell out in a set period of time... throw the rest up as first come first serve, even if you already bought one you can grab a 2nd copy. (but maybe still limit to 2 per account total)

And yeah... 50-100 people? they are dreaming. unless they are RESTRICTING it to 50-100 people. The second they announce they are taking subs... it will spread like wildfire. There are way too many people that will just give them the money.

If they do a sub program, minimum of 1000 people will sign up. If it's exclusive to their forums? how many people will sign up *just* to be a registered member if/when they go live? Or will they restrict it even further? make it an even more exclusive club?...

LRG is playing with fire.

Like what? I keep reading this from people but nobody has any reasonable alternatives that don't involve a preorder program that they have already explained that they cannot do.
Take their "membership program", remove the sticker, remove the t-shirt, remove the fee. Print a limited number of copies above the pre-order amount so that each release remains limited.

They could even require people to pay at pre-order stage and make the pre-order a limited time window if need be.

How is that going to be any less effective than their current membership proposal?

They might lose some impulse buyers who only purchase because they don't want to miss out, but it probably wouldn't be that many if each release remains limited. Even flippers would still buy if it's a limited run since anyone interested in buying it even a month after release would need to turn to ebay anyway.

Count me among the few who don't hate this idea. I really think a lot of people are exaggerating the effect a membership system would have on LRG's process. The way it reads to me, having members is a low-risk way to (modestly) increase the size of their printings and (modestly) reduce the number of fans who miss out on a game.

However, I still have concerns about the program that others have raised. I don't see much value in a $30 price point. There would have to be something else included--discounted shipping or more swag are good ideas that came up. And adding another layer of complexity to a storefront that is still having issues probably isn't a great idea, either.

I think it's also important to remember that we have very little information to go on here. The LRG guys are just floating the idea out there, so there's plenty of time for them to refine it further and address some of the concerns that many of us have (if they choose to).

Crap almighty. Why couldn't they state that at the freaking beginning?
Actually, in the beginning it wasn't for a just forum member thing planned.

If you actually followed all of the conversations/discussions on all forums, including NeoGAF, where they had the reps discussing things there as well, they ended up turning it into a forum thing because there was such a mix of responses from people.

So it's not a misunderstanding when it started, but it just ended up that way because I guess they were expecting everyone to just be up in arms, and accepting to the membership idea, and troves of people would just be hankering to sign up, but in the end, it didn't pan out to their expectations.

And they mainly noted it would be a forum thing mainly because they got the most positive responses from their own forums (go figure), so it was safe just to make it something from within their own community. I mean, honestly, did they think that people from other communities were just going to accept everything willy nilly like they do on their forums? Obviously there would be a different consensus in responses when it's not just the more hardcore fans of LRG responding to something like this.

Actually, in the beginning it wasn't for a just forum thing.

If you actually followed all of the conversations/discussions on all forums, including NeoGAF, where they had the reps discussing things there as well, they ended up turning it into a forum thing because there was such a mix of responses from people.

So it's not a misunderstanding when it started, but it just ended up that way because I guess they were expecting everyone to just be up in arms, and accepting to the membership idea, and troves of people would just be hankering to sign up, but in the end, it didn't pan out to their expectations.

And they mainly noted it would be a forum thing mainly because they got the most positive responses from their own forums (go figure), so it was safe just to make it something from within their own community. I mean, honestly, did they think that people from other communities were just going to accept everything willy nilly like they do on their forums? Obviously there would be a different consensus in responses when it's not just the more hardcore fans of LRG responding to something like this.
This is why some of us here are saying they are going about things wrong.

I didn't even know about this until today, and only quickly skimmed the forum post thats linked here.. didn't know about the "previous" talk about it.

Now it really does seem like it will be an exclusive club to just certain people. (their own forum) and i have no doubt they will only accept subs from long time members. Willing to bet money that someone will be denied access to the sub club.. just cause they are not a "loyal follower"

Actually, in the beginning it wasn't for a just forum thing.

Plus it's not like their forum is a exclusive club, anyone can join it. As long as their printing more copies to accommodate these members and not by limiting the amount for everyone else. I'm on the fence about it.

Still if that is the case, I don't quite see how this is different than taking a pre-paid pre-order. This whole thing is just a confusing mess really and I get the feeling will turn into a dumpster fire if ever implemented.

Take their "membership program", remove the sticker, remove the t-shirt, remove the fee. Print a limited number of copies above the pre-order amount so that each release remains limited.

They could even require people to pay at pre-order stage and make the pre-order a limited time window if need be.

How is that going to be any less effective than their current membership proposal?

They might lose some impulse buyers who only purchase because they don't want to miss out, but it probably wouldn't be that many if each release remains limited. Even flippers would still buy if it's a limited run since anyone interested in buying it even a month after release would need to turn to ebay anyway.
The preorder model does not work for what they are doing. To be profitable and entice developers to engage with them, there has to be a sufficient print run beyond the 1500-2000 that the collectors market seems to be able to support. The extra hundreds or thousands of copies they are selling for each release now are only the result of resellers or buyers who are snapping copies up because of the limited nature. If you open a preorder window, the limited nature goes out the door and you have all the problems Gaijinworks and others have experienced trying to get people to commit months in advance of the press run being complete. You also have the problem of some releases not hitting the 1500 minimum required by Sony and having developers bear the risk of going through an unsuccessful preorder window for something that isn't financially viable.

The model they have right now is good. There are some problems with accurately predicting demand, but some of that uncertainty can be addressed with the new membership model they are proposing. Think of it as a hybrid of a preorder model with less lead time and a financial cushion if some of their predictions go bad. It's not perfect, but I really do believe it's the best compromise given the unusual market niche they occupy.

PayPal. Or Limited Run needs to hire/contract someone who knows what they are doing so they can utilize preorders through their website.

As a customer I've been involved in plenty of group buys, usually for car parts, with trusted legitimate smaller businesses utilizing Paypal where anywhere from 50 to over 500 customers were involved. I'm sure it's extra work but it can be done.

The preorder model does not work for what they are doing. To be profitable and entice developers to engage with them, there has to be a sufficient print run beyond the 1500-2000 that the collectors market seems to be able to support. The extra hundreds or thousands of copies they are selling for each release now are only the result of resellers or buyers who are snapping copies up because of the limited nature.
How is their proposed membership program any better at guaranteeing sales than a preorder approach? I don't buy the idea that a preorder approach runs the risk of LRG not hitting a desired sale volume.

Let's say they do open preorders and for whatever reason they only get 500 preorders. They put in an order for 2000 units and announce that the print is limited to 2000 units. They'll easily be able to sell the remaining 1500 at launch as they have been doing so far since it is qute a limited production.

Alternatively, they open preorders and get 5000 preorders. Maybe they play it conservative and only order 500 extra for launch. Even if release day demand falls off a cliff because of the large number of preorders, they still have sold 5000 copies (and would probably still easily move the remainder). Again, no issues hitting their minimum sale mark here and wind up selling more units.

These would still be limited releases, so once the total run is gone, its gone forever. That will still drive some resale market.

How is their proposed membership program any better at guaranteeing sales than a preorder approach? I don't buy the idea that a preorder approach runs the risk of LRG not hitting a desired sale volume.

Let's say they do open preorders and for whatever reason they only get 500 preorders. They put in an order for 2000 units and announce that the print is limited to 2000 units. They'll easily be able to sell the remaining 1500 at launch as they have been doing so far since it is qute a limited production.

Alternatively, they open preorders and get 5000 preorders. Maybe they play it conservative and only order 500 extra for launch. Even if release day demand falls off a cliff because of the large number of preorders, they still have sold 5000 copies (and would probably still easily move the remainder). Again, no issues hitting their minimum sale mark here and wind up selling more units.

These would still be limited releases, so once the total run is gone, its gone forever. That will still drive some resale market.
What you are proposing requires a massive infrastructure they don't have the ability to maintain with two people and several releases a month. You don't know for sure what the market will bear and a hybrid preorder/open sale screws everyone that gives them their money months in advance and raises the real risk that they will have tons of unsold copies left over if they print extras to anticipate demand. It also takes out a lot of the incentive for people to buy two copies or to buy for resale which increases demand and may account for a third to a half of their sales currently.

Just look at Gaijinworks and how hard they struggled the last two times to hit the minimal order number they needed to be financially viable. Ultimately, they ended up having to increase the price of the last release to cover the shortfall. Similarly, Retro Rampage sold out of the initial 2,000 copies over a year ago, but is having a lot of trouble moving the 3K they just opened up for preorder. Nobody really knows how well preorders are going for Vita Shovel Knight other than maybe Fangamer and the developer.

There is literally no publisher in America that is doing 3-4 games a month at this point in time every month into the foreseeable future. Trying to handle preorders for all of those games and deal with the very real fulfillment and customer service nightmares requires massive capital and resources that simply aren't required when you order a set amount and sell them on one specific day, charge payments and then ship them shortly thereafter.

LRG just needs to keep going with how they are doing it and if they implement a membership program, that will just insure that they can get better demand numbers to forecast the run while not having to deal with the risk of unsold stock, not hitting the minimum or handling money and refunds months in advance of release. Unlike a preorder, LRG can just survey their members the week before release and hold that many copies for them with the remainder of the order being placed up for open sale.

PayPal. Or Limited Run needs to hire/contract someone who knows what they are doing so they can utilize preorders through their website.

As a customer I've been involved in plenty of group buys, usually for car parts, with trusted legitimate smaller businesses utilizing Paypal where anywhere from 50 to over 500 customers were involved. I'm sure it's extra work but it can be done.
They don't want to deal with preorders and all the nightmares, costs and logistics that involves for 3-4 games per month with 3000+ copies per game. This isn't some small time group auto parts buying group. As such, unless you have a solution that doesn't involve preorders, your solution is not something LRG can use.

What you are proposing requires a massive infrastructure they don't have the ability to maintain with two people and several releases a month.
Then if they're such an incapable operation WHY would I give them $30 a year for...some vague promise?

One of two things will happen. One, everyone who pays this $30 is going to vote "yes" when asked about the releases, because they already spent their $30 and want *something* from it. But voting yes is not a guaranteed buy, so when it comes time to pay they won't sell all that they thought they would. If they only get a small number of memberships like they are expecting (hope?) this will be fine, but other wise they'll be making larger print runs than they are now and not selling them all.

Or two, they'll get a ton of memberships and everyone will want a game but not be able to get it - there will be too many members who want it for their print run. And as soon as someone who's paid this $30 doesn't get the game, it will hit the fan.

So what's the solution? What everyone else who isn't going to jump on this membership bandwagon has said - keep doing what they are doing, limit sales to 1 copy per platform per account.

Then if they're such an incapable operation WHY would I give them $30 a year for...some vague promise?

One of two things will happen. One, everyone who pays this $30 is going to vote "yes" when asked about the releases, because they already spent their $30 and want *something* from it. But voting yes is not a guaranteed buy, so when it comes time to pay they won't sell all that they thought they would. If they only get a small number of memberships like they are expecting (hope?) this will be fine, but other wise they'll be making larger print runs than they are now and not selling them all.

Or two, they'll get a ton of memberships and everyone will want a game but not be able to get it - there will be too many members who want it for their print run. And as soon as someone who's paid this $30 doesn't get the game, it will hit the fan.

So what's the solution? What everyone else who isn't going to jump on this membership bandwagon has said - keep doing what they are doing, limit sales to 1 copy per platform per account.
Because they are small but very effective at running things with the model they have been following all along and the membership just supports and boosts that model.

Or three, everyone who orders a membership gets a copy of the game every time they want one and they still publish a good amount that sell out every time just like they are doing now. Honestly, I can't follow the whole doom and gloom thread going on here. It's not like they are going to sell less copies with the membership and worst case scenario, they sell the same amount of games and have a little extra financial cushion from selling a few hundred memberships.

Honestly, the whole business model is fine as it is, and working out very well for them, but my biggest gripe with this whole thing is that they need to be first, and foremost addressing the issues with the storefront, and making sure that everything is handled before they start trying to roll out other stuff.  It just feels like they're trying to use the Soldner fiasco as an opportunity to roll out a membership program, yet these larger issues are now being overshadowed by a discussion most people never even knew existed until today, and really has little to no relevance to the issues of Solder. 

I have no doubt they will figure it all out eventually, but it just feels like they should be updating their customer base about that, rather than about the membership program.  Clearly, these are issues that they need to resolve first, or else they are just adding fuel to a fire that they forgot to extinguish first because they were too busy setting a new fire elsewhere. 

In the end, functionality is just as important as practicality, and they need to make sure these two things are in sync as soon as possible.

They don't want to deal with preorders and all the nightmares, costs and logistics that involves for 3-4 games per month with 3000+ copies per game. This isn't some small time group auto parts buying group. As such, unless you have a solution that doesn't involve preorders, your solution is not something LRG can use.

Because they are small but very effective at running things with the model they have been following all along and the membership just supports and boosts that model.

Or three, everyone who orders a membership gets a copy of the game every time they want one and they still publish a good amount that sell out every time just like they are doing now. Honestly, I can't follow the whole doom and gloom thread going on here. It's not like they are going to sell less copies with the membership and worst case scenario, they sell the same amount of games and have a little extra financial cushion from selling a few hundred memberships.
You do understand that there are people/companies that ALREADY have the necessary things in place to do this... and many are free.

It would go smooth. There are insanely huge group buys that have zero issues. LRG is a small group of people that are trying to reinvent something themselves cause they are too small minded to look to others for assistance/support.

And then they have people like you propping them up when you have no clue WTF you are talking about. (group buys)

Because they are small but very effective at running things with the model they have been following all along
Website crashing every release, ordering issues, still can't figure out how to limit the sales (everyone orders and they remove multiple orders LATER) Wasn't there some payment issues as well?

Like I said, they are trying to do everything themselves instead of looking to others with more experience for help.

They could do simple things, and everything would work fine.

create a fan club for $30 a year, include all the crap they were talking about in it. and IF there are leftover games from a release, let the fan club members have first crack at buying them.

~~~

It just feels like they're trying to use the Soldner fiasco as an opportunity to roll out a membership program, yet these larger issues are now being overshadowed by a discussion most people never even knew existed until today, and really has little to no relevance to the issues of Solder.
Exactly.

Clearly, these are issues that they need to resolve first, or else they are just adding fuel to a fire that they forgot to extinguish first because they were too busy setting a new fire elsewhere.
This is part of my point as well, they are just trying to do everything themselves.. and when SHTF, they turn to something else and forget what just happened.

Anyway, i'm done with the whole topic. I'm against it, they will probably go ahead and implement a sub feature anyway. And i'll bet money that it becomes a problem at some point.

LRG hasn't announced a game i'm interested in since Oddworld, so buying a LRG release isn't in my foreseeable future anyway.

The advice being given isn't to improve LRG's business model but to improve their chances of getting the games they want.

Imo, this is the easiest way to do it:

1) List a game for preorder for a certain amount of days. Maybe between 2-5 days.
2) End the preorder and produce the amount of games that were preordered.

There you have it, 2 steps. This will give people that want the game the ample amount of time to get it. It will still be somewhat rare because it will never be produced again. Scalpers will hesitate about preordering too many as they won't know how limited this will be due to they won't know preorder numbers. Plus, giving a certain amount of days to preorder almost certainly guarantees those who actually want this game gets it which drives resale value down.

I am really fine with the way they have done these releases from the start. The idea of a membership is nice, LRG said they aren't going that route anyway, but the problem witha $30 membership is that it's cheap enough that everyone will sign up for it and games will sell out just as fast. I don't want them to produce more copies, I want these games to remain limited as that's part of the charm of owning them.

I think everyone is wildly overestimating the number of people who would sign up. Most people can't even get their shit together enough to know when and where to be for the games to drop let alone understanding a yearly membership.

I think everyone is wildly overestimating the number of people who would sign up. Most people can't even get their shit together enough to know when and where to be for the games to drop let alone understanding a yearly membership.
Well when the releases are limited to numbers like 3200, I don't doubt for a second that they wouldn't have at least 5,000 people sign-up for a membership to pre-order games in advance or otherwise get first dibs. The proposed plan would also include a T-Shirt which is worth at least $10 alone, I'd sign up immediately without second thought.

wish the poop quality games would stop coming and they'd focus more on good solid titles for release, starting to just be too many copies of every game they can throw out

I wouldnt pay for a membership because from what I saw it has no benefit to me. I dont care about a sticker or a tshirt, Im not going to pay just to make it easier to buy games from them that I still have to pay for.

MAYBE, if they gave members a exclusive game every year Id be interested. It could even be a not so great game, just something to make it feel like I was valued.  Then I might be interested but as it stands now I get no real benefit of it to me.

I love what LRG is doing and I have bought 4 or 5 games from them without incident and I think they are great, but honestly this membership sounds like them just preying on the people addicted to buying the games or resellers (yes resellers would do it to lock in copies easier, all they have to do is sell 1 game for at least double the price each year and they made their money back). As it is they do a good job by splitting inventory up into 2 different times of the day, that has allowed me to get a couple games I missed in the morning due to work or whatnot.

The advice being given isn't to improve LRG's business model but to improve their chances of getting the games they want.
A pre-order program would certainly be less lucrative than the membership for LRG, but I'm pretty sure it would improve their business model as well. Pre-orders for games like Oddworld, Xeodrifter, and Rainbow Moon surely would have exceeded the amount LRG wound up printing for each. Pre-orders wouldn't benefit the lesser quality game releases, but it wouldn't hurt either (low pre-order -> limited production numbers = same situation as now).

Can't believe so many people think that a membership program would automatically make these limited runs much less limited. It's doubtful that 5000 people would sign up for the membership, but even if they did, the production runs would still be very limited, compared to most Vita game releases. How many copies of a more popular game like Odin Sphere Leifthrasir were produced? 100k, 200k, 300k? There are 15 million Vita consoles out there, even a production run of 10K (for a more popular game like Soldner or Oddworld) would be a pittance compared to almost any other physical Vita release.

Who cares if scalpers sign up for the membership and flip those copies to eBay? The collectors and gamers who REALLY WANT those releases will be able to get them, and future collectors/gamers who didn't know about the LRG releases would still be able to get them from eBay.

Let LRG get some extra money and at the same time assure the diehards a copy of the game. It doesn't hurt anyone in the long run, releases will still have very low production runs and rare physical releases of Vita games will still be made.

Soldner was a bit of an exception because it's a shmup, and there is a sizeable core of diehard shmup fans who want to buy every physical shmup release possible (I somewhat fall into that group). Not criticizing, but they clearly underestimated the total quantity for Soldner, partly because of this situation.

I'm fine with a membership model even though I bought only Xeodrifter and Soldner so far; because I view the $30 fee as both insurance (that I can get a release if I want that particular game), and support for LRG in their efforts for future releases.

Imo, this is the easiest way to do it:

1) List a game for preorder for a certain amount of days. Maybe between 2-5 days.
2) End the preorder and produce the amount of games that were preordered.

There you have it, 2 steps. This will give people that want the game the ample amount of time to get it. It will still be somewhat rare because it will never be produced again. Scalpers will hesitate about preordering too many as they won't know how limited this will be due to they won't know preorder numbers. Plus, giving a certain amount of days to preorder almost certainly guarantees those who actually want this game gets it which drives resale value down.
Sales will be lower than if they produce a set amount as there will be less interest from people to buy multiples for trading or selling and they will have to hold money for lengthy periods of time. There could also be production problems that delay fulfillment and result in customer service issues and refund demands. They may also not hit the minimum sales amount to make the release interesting to the developer with whom they do a revenue split of 70/30 nor even enough to hit Sony's mandatory minimum. So, no, the preorder model will not work given their business model.

Can't believe so many people think that a membership program would automatically make these limited runs much less limited. It's doubtful that 5000 people would sign up for the membership, but even if they did, the production runs would still be very limited, compared to most Vita game releases. How many copies of a more popular game like Odin Sphere Leifthrasir were produced? 100k, 200k, 300k? There are 15 million Vita consoles out there, even a production run of 10K (for a more popular game like Soldner or Oddworld) would be a pittance compared to almost any other physical Vita release.
Who cares if scalpers sign up for the membership and flip those copies to eBay? The collectors and gamers who REALLY WANT those releases will be able to get them, and future collectors/gamers who didn't know about the LRG releases would still be able to get them from eBay.
Let LRG get some extra money and at the same time assure the diehards a copy of the game. It doesn't hurt anyone in the long run, releases will still have very low production runs and rare physical releases of Vita games will still be made.
Soldner was a bit of an exception because it's a shmup, and there is a sizeable core of diehard shmup fans who want to buy every physical shmup release possible (I somewhat fall into that group). Not criticizing, but they clearly underestimated the total quantity for Soldner, partly because of this situation.
I'm fine with a membership model even though I bought only Xeodrifter and Soldner so far; because I view the $30 fee as both insurance (that I can get a release if I want that particular game), and support for LRG in their efforts for future releases.
You also have to consider how many people are only buying these for complete collections, not that they want these titles.

If I wasn't going for complete vita, I would have bough a total of 0 LRG. Most of the games were either free on plus or are much much cheaper digital. None of these releases have been worth purchasing for $30 to me

As I said though, ditch the merch and give members free shipping or 10% off and I'd be in.

Looks like one of the guys tweeted it isn't going to happen though

Well on Twitter they said they're not doing the membership, and to watch the forums for an alternative plan:

Check out @LimitedRunJosh's Tweet: https://twitter.com/LimitedRunJosh/status/760282751559987200?s=09

I agree. I missed out on Soldner because of their shitty shopify system, and as of right now my collection is lacking. I don't want to pay the outrageous ebay prices right now, and I hope the price drops a bit once people receive their shipments. 

I was lucky enough to find someone that got 2 copies that is willing to trade for an extra copy of Futuridium for the PS4 I have, so luckily THIS time it looks like I'm in luck. That being said, I'm staying cautiously optimistic until I actually receive the game. 

How about charging the $30 membership for the year and giving early access plus $5 off each game? (kinda like Gamer Club unlocked since most games are $24.99 which would be like 20% off)?  Most people are buying every release so youre making your money back and guaranteeing that people keep coming back and buying the game.  Keep the shirt and silly membership card.  :D/

This seller popped up today listing 4 copies of Breach & Clear on eBay for $220 and 1 on Amazon for $300: 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Breach-Clear-Playstation-Vita-NEW-FACTORY-SEALED-and-RARE-/322214076819

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B015QHQFOG

What's interesting is he worked for Limited Run Games' parent company before Breach & Clear went on sale:

thenick191 - https://twitter.com/thenick191  -  https://www.linkedin.com/in/nlucchesi

And has previously sold 17 copies of the game:

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=thenick191&&_trksid=p2047675.l2560&rt=nc&iid=322214076819&sspagename=VIP%3Afeedback&ftab=FeedbackAsSeller

4oepARN.jpg

If you look at his feedback history, he's old like 20 copies of it already, and RCR DX.

I wonder what his connection to them are supposed to be, lol.

Seriously, do either of these companies know that he's been doing this?  We should probably let both parties know about it so they can actually change his personnel file to douchebag.

This seller popped up today listing 4 copies of Breach & Clear on eBay for $220 and 1 on Amazon for $300: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Breach-Clear-Playstation-Vita-NEW-FACTORY-SEALED-and-RARE-/322214076819
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B015QHQFOG

What's interesting is he worked for Limited Run Games' parent company before Breach & Clear went on sale:
thenick191 - https://twitter.com/thenick191 - https://www.linkedin.com/in/nlucchesi

And has previously sold 17 copies of the game:
http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=thenick191&&_trksid=p2047675.l2560&rt=nc&iid=322214076819&sspagename=VIP%3Afeedback&ftab=FeedbackAsSeller

4oepARN.jpg
Guy looks totally like a scum reseller. All of his eBay history is just sought after stuff that he jacked the price up on

bread's done
Back