Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
As a first-timer to this thread, let me ask... what's the best way to watch for the physical release of Ys Origin? Google just says that it's been announced, but is this something I'll have to pre-order or might it show up in stores, etc? 

As a first-timer to this thread, let me ask... what's the best way to watch for the physical release of Ys Origin? Google just says that it's been announced, but is this something I'll have to pre-order or might it show up in stores, etc?
If you don't plan to check this thread often, sign up for their mailing list or follow them on Twitter. They'll announce the release date weeks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a friendly forum member, I'll do my very best to remember to pm you here. But my very best is usually not that good, so I suggest the mailing list also.

LRG games are only sold on their website... one and done type of deal. You won't see them in stores but I think another publisher can do another run of a game already released by LRG, but they have to change up the cover. It's only happened once, with Soldner X-2 so I wouldn't count on a 2nd run.

Luckily, they announce when you can buy the game in advance and you get two chances (morning batch, afternoon batch) to buy. It's usually pretty easy to get a game, if you show up on time but it's hard to say how long a game will last.

If you keep up with this thread you'll be well aware of what games are coming out and when. There's also usually a lot of discussion about how popular a game is expected to be which brings about more discussion about how quickly it might run out based on print run levels since they vary per game. In most cases, if you are online at 9AM EST when their site goes live and order immediately, you'll get the game. Some games have sold out in just a few minutes though, so you can't play around or hesitate when it goes live the way people always seem to do with the Amazon lightning deals. 

Pisses me off they announced this a month after release. Would have much rather bought this & now there's no incentive to double dip on a Vita copy as it's cross-buy when it comes out.

CSH has been out two days but Metacritic doesn't show a single review for the game, yet... anyone know why?
Normally in a situation like this, they just didn't offer early press codes for reviews. Or if they did, they offered them at release, so while many may be planning a review, it's an RPG and can't be finished in a day, so you'll probably see them trickle in over time.

Normally when a game isn't offered before release, it's a good indication the game sucks, and the developer doesn't want to loose out on day 1 buyers with bad reviews. I think in this situation, they may have just worked on the game until last minute, and just didn't have time to get them out to reviewers before hand. I wouldn't worry to much about it for now, but I'm sure reviews will be showing up soon.

There's also the fact that Zeboyd is a very small developer, and not a major publisher with a marketing department. In the past they haven't had to worry about hyping up their releases, or even having a hard release date. And the press has usually not been nearly as aggressive about following digital releases as they have physical releases. If your game is not on store shelves it is much less likely to get major press coverage.

CSH has been out two days but Metacritic doesn't show a single review for the game, yet... anyone know why?
It's not as big of a release in the real world as it is to those of us interested in the game.

There are plenty of reader reviews though they are mixed (including a couple posted on Metacritic and more on Steam). The Negative reviews seem to all have a lot of detail to why they just can't recommend the game. But I think we need more feedback and time before it's clear if this is worth it or not. There's also the update that fixes many things... that'll play into potentially erasing a lot of the negative comments about the game. Still, if the game is as linear as it's said to be with little to no grinding, then it's probably not my kind of RPG. I like an RPG that gives me room to explore along with the option to grind if I want to make the game a little easier on myself. This doesn't seem to be that game so I'm quickly losing any interest I had in it.

Until the Vita version is released, and both versions are completely debugged, it won't be happening. So maybe 1 month, or it could be 6, it's unknown at the moment.
It's possible CSH won't be coming to Vita physically at all. Apparently they are having trouble getting it below 3.2 GB (it's about 5 GB now) which makes a single cart impossible.

It's possible CSH won't be coming to Vita physically at all. Apparently they are having trouble getting it below 3.2 GB (it's about 5 GB now) which makes a single cart impossible.
I had read that, but apparently the developer used zero amounts of compression, so now that is an issue. I believe I read LRG is helping them with that, as they are familiar with the process and how to get it done. If games like FFX can be squeezed on a card, I have little doubt CSH will have an issue.

All ten Indiebox PC steelbooks were just clearanced down to $9.97 each at Gamestop.  I thought some people in here would be interested to know.

A lot of the file size for a game like Cosmic Star Heroine is likely tied up in audio files. The graphics for such a game do not need all that much in terms of memory. Audio resources tend to be a bit more expensive in that regard, especially if the game has extensive voice acting. With audio, there is usually numerous different options for squeezing things down. Even 2D graphical elements have options when it comes to compression, especially if you are running at closer to 720p. (as is typically the case with the Vita) Some effort has to be expended to shrink a game like that down, but it is usually not an insurmountable challenge.

So it's definitely not impossible, it will just take some extra work. If you know what you're doing on the technical end, there are all sorts of ways to squeeze games down. Just look at the maniac behind Retro City Rampage. That guy made a version of his game that fits on a single 3.5 inch floppy disc. (which only contain around 1.4 MB of data)

All that said, it would not surprise me if there was a bit of a wait for the physical copy of Cosmic Star Heroine. Steam releases often serve as beta releases for some games, with Steam's more permissive patching system allowing the developer to fix whatever bugs the community finds quickly, and at no upcharge. Ports to other platforms will likely take a little while, and even those versions will need bug testing of their own. Smaller developers can't guarantee dates for this sort of thing, they don't have massive testing resources, and frequently have to rely on the gaming public to handle some of those duties.

It's not as big of a release in the real world as it is to those of us interested in the game.

There are plenty of reader reviews though they are mixed (including a couple posted on Metacritic and more on Steam). The Negative reviews seem to all have a lot of detail to why they just can't recommend the game. But I think we need more feedback and time before it's clear if this is worth it or not. There's also the update that fixes many things... that'll play into potentially erasing a lot of the negative comments about the game. Still, if the game is as linear as it's said to be with little to no grinding, then it's probably not my kind of RPG. I like an RPG that gives me room to explore along with the option to grind if I want to make the game a little easier on myself. This doesn't seem to be that game so I'm quickly losing any interest I had in it.
you can initiate battles from your menu. not sure at what point it unlocks. it seems like you can use that option as many times as you want, and doesn't look like a hit to exp gains.

Normally in a situation like this, they just didn't offer early press codes for reviews. Or if they did, they offered them at release, so while many may be planning a review, it's an RPG and can't be finished in a day, so you'll probably see them trickle in over time.

Normally when a game isn't offered before release, it's a good indication the game sucks, and the developer doesn't want to loose out on day 1 buyers with bad reviews. I think in this situation, they may have just worked on the game until last minute, and just didn't have time to get them out to reviewers before hand. I wouldn't worry to much about it for now, but I'm sure reviews will be showing up soon.
Sony often doesn't give indie devs keys for their games until the day of release. Additionally, Sony made the wrong build live on PS4 - for several hours on the 11th, a build from months ago was live against the developer's intentions. It was a buggy mess to say the least (that has since been fixed). The game had a lot stacked against it - the negative Steam reviews are almost unanimously "fun, but there are bugs" - as far as I can tell the main bugs were just fixed by Zeboyd for a patch tomorrow.

I wish I had a clearer idea of the quality of Flinthook's music--while I like what I heard in the trailer, I'm not sure it's worth an additional $15 when the game by itself is only $24.99.

Sony often doesn't give indie devs keys for their games until the day of release. Additionally, Sony made the wrong build live on PS4 - for several hours on the 11th, a build from months ago was live against the developer's intentions. It was a buggy mess to say the least (that has since been fixed). The game had a lot stacked against it - the negative Steam reviews are almost unanimously "fun, but there are bugs" - as far as I can tell the main bugs were just fixed by Zeboyd for a patch tomorrow.
WOW, excellent news, I'm glad to hear the game that was having the problems wasn't the one that should have been released. Damn, how does that shit happen? Sony sabotage or what? LOL

Hey Josh, do you want to add any news in regards to the Vita physical version, is it still happening, or is the game size still a pending issue that may prevent the physical version?

Does anyone else's Astebreed have really shitty seals? 

Edit, like this. It's like extra slack and the shrinkwrap itself is very flimsy. 

[attachment=26305:20170413_230129.jpg]

[attachment=26306:20170413_230219.jpg]

Does anyone else's Astebreed have really shitty seals?

Edit, like this. It's like extra slack and the shrinkwrap itself is very flimsy.

attachicon.gif
20170413_230129.jpg

attachicon.gif
20170413_230219.jpg
WOW, that looks pretty shitty. You might want to open a ticket up for that one, I know I would. That looks like it took a rather good pounding at some point in time. If that was like that before shipping, it never should have left the office. And if that happened in transit, holy shit, nothing is safe. LOL

WOW, that looks pretty shitty. You might want to open a ticket up for that one, I know I would. That looks like it took a rather good pounding at some point in time. If that was like that before shipping, it never should have left the office. And if that happened in transit, holy shit, nothing is safe. LOL
There's no signs of physical damage... just a lot of slack shrinkwrap and about 1/4 in slack shrinkwrap. I agree that this is something that shouldn't have even been shipped out but this also isn't the first time where I received something that "shouldn't have been shipped out" but it was never this bad before.

my Astebreed looks fine, keep in mind that LRG is not involved in shrinking the games, they come from the factory pre-shrinked

Another day of releases where I cannot decide. I want both games, but Ray Gigant is what I am leaning towards, but also not sure if I want to order it and just save my funds for that Darius Burst release, really wanting to get the SE and that sick looking vinyl, if I can manage to score one of them.

I'm thinking I'll buy a new retail game this pay period instead of spending 60$ on LRG. I've missed out on some good stuff in the last 2 months.

Any new info on when skull girls is releasing? Last I heard it was in approval stage for updates with Sony or something.

Any new news on cosmic star heroine getting a physical release?

Thanks.

I'm thinking I'll buy a new retail game this pay period instead of spending 60$ on LRG. I've missed out on some good stuff in the last 2 months.
I'm considering doing the same at this point I think I have talked myself out of Ray Gigant after watching more videos of the game, just not something I want to play right now and I don't really need to own it. Flinthook I may end up getting though, but I've bought so much recently I should probably play some of the games I currently have in my backlog and also save for Darius Burst which I definitely need!

Any new info on when skull girls is releasing? Last I heard it was in approval stage for updates with Sony or something.

Any new news on cosmic star heroine getting a physical release?

Thanks.
I haven't heard anything about Skull Girls since the last update regarding the approval stages. Hoping to get my copy in the next few months though, it's been awhile and I keep forgetting I ordered it to begin with.

There's no signs of physical damage... just a lot of slack shrinkwrap and about 1/4 in slack shrinkwrap. I agree that this is something that shouldn't have even been shipped out but this also isn't the first time where I received something that "shouldn't have been shipped out" but it was never this bad before.
Yeah, when I first looked at that second pic, it looked like smash damaged(I need my eyes checked apparently), but now looking again, I can see it is just the slack described. Not a big deal I guess, and I agree, that isn't really anyone's fault, so much as a manufacture defect of sorts.

Got a Ray Gigant, woohoo.

Oddly the Amazon pay button didn't work for me when pressing 'complete order', so I had to pay a different way.

I know it usually isn't selectable from the cart, but I can typically use it after choosing shipping address / method. This time the button just didn't do anything, strangely. 

Got a Ray Gigant, woohoo.

Oddly the Amazon pay button didn't work for me when pressing 'complete order', so I had to pay a different way.
I know it usually isn't selectable from the cart, but I can typically use it after choosing shipping address / method. This time the button just didn't do anything, strangely.
Same happened to me. It still let me use it during checkout though.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

bread's done
Back