Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
I have a few games I've kept sealed. Thomas was alone for example I absolutely loved but I already played it. I just wanted to have it because I thought it was a great game.

I bought a few things in the beginning when I was attempting a full set I had no intention of playing - rainbow moon and stealth Inc. Those I keep sealed. But honestly it's because I'll be trading or selling them someday.

Breach and clear I keep sealed and will probably frame and hang at some point.

My favorite thing is new trophy lists. If the games I already played had new trophies I'd open them up in a second to play them (broken age is a good example!)

I keep all my LRG stuff sealed because I like supporting these kind of companies and will buy their releases, even if I hate the games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wild Guns MSRP was $49.95 when it came out in 1994. Adjusting for inflation that's about $85. $2,500 minus $85 divided by 23 years means you made a WHOPPING $105 a year (roughly the amount one of my passive investments makes in 8 hours). Speculating on games is a joke and wont fund your retirement unless you have millions of games or live to be millions of years old...
what sort of passive investments do you make? I'd love to hear about it! Interested MBA student here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not sarcasm if the person makes the same stupid comment repeatedly in multiple threads. I'm convinced he believes he's both being funny and factual when he is being neither.
Nah. It's sarcasm if he's sitting on his couch laughing his ass off at all of these deadly serious responses on a forum about video games. Who knows?

There are advantages to keeping games sealed. I am in the process of selling some of my older retro games, and I have many games from the NES, SNES, N64, Saturn, and Dreamcast era still sealed. One of those is Wild Guns, it may fetch up to $2500 (mint sealed). I realize that current generation games may never hit that level, but over time prices can increase quite a bit. I'm also selling my Neo Geo collection and many of those games are going for insane amounts of money.
I just can't see myself not playing a game I have. I wouldn't have the patience waiting.

Also wild guns is a decent game.

He doesn't treat video games as a stock portfolio which he passively wants to brag about on a website aggressively discussing cheap video games. He treats it as a hobby. I'm sure most of us in the LRG thread treat our game collection as such. To keep you up to speed his post was about downsizing his collection.

Your post is borderline reminiscent of Christian Bale from American Psycho. You should go watch the movie Wolf on Wall Street hire a prostitute and go snort coke off her chest. Then when you come to, please realize no one cares about your money and your investments.
I don't think you can call a person who doesn't open games a hobbyist. The one and only reason to not open a game is because you think that it will increase the games value, which means his hobby (as least in this instance) is speculation, not gaming. I'm not insulting the guy or anything. I'm just pointing out that video games aren't the best avenue for speculation and a person that doesn't open games is a gamer in the same sense that a person that doesn't drive is a car enthusiast.

also, those are both great movies.

I have a lot of unopened games largely due to backlog and not having enough time to play.

I personally dont see a point in opening games that I do not have the time to play yet. Im part of the group who dont open a new game until I complete some of the ones Im working on. So if I do want trade it for something else, I can get a little bit more leverage for it being sealed.

I don't think you can call a person who doesn't open games a hobbyist. The one and only reason to not open a game is because you think that it will increase the games value, which means his hobby (as least in this instance) is speculation, not gaming.
You're completely wrong. I am a collector and a gamer both, but I buy these games (and keep many sealed) for my collection, not "because I think that it will increase the games [sic] value". It so happens that many of my older games have indeed increased in value, a by-product of collecting.

Don't assume that you know people's motivations from a few posts, you clearly missed the point and just made up your own scenario.

I don't think you can call a person who doesn't open games a hobbyist. The one and only reason to not open a game is because you think that it will increase the games value, which means his hobby (as least in this instance) is speculation, not gaming.
There are actually a few reasons to own a game sealed without losing the moniker of "hobbyist."

1) Someone who opens and plays games but keeps a sealed collection is still a hobbyist.

2) To support the developer, even if owned digitally

3) To support LRG even if owned digitally.
4) It's nice to have a backup copy for games on my HDD in the year 2056 when my original PS4 broke and PSN is gone.
5) Why not buy up cheap games with the intent to play, and keep em sealed until you play them?

All of those reasons suggest a person who keeps a sealed game is a hobbyist. What is the purpose of opining labels onto others?

hob·by1
ˈhäbē
noun
noun: hobby; plural noun: hobbies

1. 1.

an activity done regularly in one's leisure time for pleasure.
    "her hobbies are reading and gardening"
    synonyms: pastime, leisure activity, leisure pursuit; More

sideline, side interest, diversion, avocation;
    recreation, entertainment, amusement
    "writing poetry is just one of my hobbies"

2. 2.

archaic
    a small horse or pony.

Last I checked, I don't own a small horse or pony, so I guess I do just do this for fun.

Wild Guns MSRP was $49.95 when it came out in 1994. Adjusting for inflation that's about $85. $2,500 minus $85 divided by 23 years means you made a WHOPPING $105 a year (roughly the amount one of my passive investments makes in 8 hours). Speculating on games is a joke and wont fund your retirement unless you have millions of games or live to be millions of years old...
I don't think you can call a person who doesn't open games a hobbyist. The one and only reason to not open a game is because you think that it will increase the games value, which means his hobby (as least in this instance) is speculation, not gaming. I'm not insulting the guy or anything. I'm just pointing out that video games aren't the best avenue for speculation and a person that doesn't open games is a gamer in the same sense that a person that doesn't drive is a car enthusiast.

also, those are both great movies.
wow you are just full of stupid strawman replies tonight.

where did he say he was holding his unopened games for a retirement fund? He didn't say that.

where did he say that he doesn't open any of his games? Once again, he didn't say that and you are misrepresenting his statements.

how about you go educate yourself on the subject of stupid strawman responses and go back to lurking.

No there's nothing sarcastic about a modern computer having random access transfer rates in KILOBYTES per second.

Computers use memory not magnetic tracks.

It's worked well?  Not it hasn't, it's been the Achilles heel of human technology since the invention of dynamic RAM.

We will have moved past that mistake when your IO meter and Sisoft Sandra results are one and the same.

But if you want to keep using 8 tracks that's your business.

I doubt most people buy games, especially at full MSRP, with the intention of leaving them sealed for investment purposes. It's more like we buy a game and never get around to it, because life gets in the way somehow, one way or another. I have a few PS2 games still sealed. My military career had a heavy bearing on when and how many of those would get played. If we came down on orders from Uncle Sam to be somewhere, games were often left behind. Then by the time I got out of the service and got back around to playing them, some had already been re-released or remastered on PS3, like God of War or Ratchet and Clank. If investing was the point, I lost out when you consider the PS2 versions are basically worthless now. But finding a copy of Haunting Ground in my stash, when the game goes for like $100 now, was a nice surprise.  

I don't open games until I play them. Hence, most of backlog is sealed.
That's typically my stance unless I have to redeem a code or something within some time frame. MGS Legacy Collection codes expiring (which thankfully I got my code redeemed before then) was an eye opener.

Outside of that I don't see any reason to open a game until I'm ready to play it. This makes it easier to sell if I never get around to playing something, since often it's easier for me to find money to buy games than time to play through them all.

There are actually a few reasons to own a game sealed without losing the moniker of "hobbyist."

1) Someone who opens and plays games but keeps a sealed collection is still a hobbyist.

2) To support the developer, even if owned digitally

3) To support LRG even if owned digitally.
4) It's nice to have a backup copy for games on my HDD in the year 2056 when my original PS4 broke and PSN is gone.
5) Why not buy up cheap games with the intent to play, and keep em sealed until you play them?

All of those reasons suggest a person who keeps a sealed game is a hobbyist. What is the purpose of opining labels onto others?
these are all great reasons for buying an extra copy of a game but not for not opening the game.

1) that persons hobby is decorating his bookshelf, not playing games, because he cant play sealed games by definition.

2and3) You can support LRG or the game developer by buying a physical copy whether you open it or not.

4) bitrot will kill your games in less then 40 years even if they are sealed. the inks used to store data in optical media just break down over time. Nothing can be done about it. its already happening to sega cd and playstation games just 20 years later.

5) theres no reason to not keep a game sealed until you are ready to play it (other then if you get a lemon and you wont know until the return window is gone) but my point is, I doubt that guy has kept a game sealed for 25 years because he hasn't got around to playing it yet... Its no longer a game. It's a speculation vehicle. That game will never be played because if the owner opens it they lose thousands of dollars.

wow you are just full of stupid strawman replies tonight.

where did he say he was holding his unopened games for a retirement fund? He didn't say that.

where did he say that he doesn't open any of his games? Once again, he didn't say that and you are misrepresenting his statements.

how about you go educate yourself on the subject of stupid strawman responses and go back to lurking.
Come on buddy... this is a forum disagreement not a bar fight. Show some class. I've been completely respectful to others. No need for name calling

these are all great reasons for buying an extra copy of a game but not for not opening the game.

1) that persons hobby is decorating his bookshelf, not playing games, because he cant play sealed games by definition.

2and3) You can support LRG or the game developer by buying a physical copy whether you open it or not.

4) bitrot will kill your games in less then 40 years even if they are sealed. the inks used to store data in optical media just break down over time. Nothing can be done about it. its already happening to sega cd and playstation games just 20 years later.

5) theres no reason to not keep a game sealed until you are ready to play it (other then if you get a lemon and you wont know until the return window is gone) but my point is, I doubt that guy has kept a game sealed for 25 years because he hasn't got around to playing it yet... Its no longer a game. It's a speculation vehicle. That game will never be played because if the owner opens it they lose thousands of dollars.
Physical disc rot is worse with older forms of media like CD's and even DVD's, but allegedly improves with newer forms (especially Blu-Ray). Of course, we won't know until they're old enough to see how they hold up. Vita cartridges will probably last a long time.

Come on buddy... this is a forum disagreement not a bar fight. Show some class. I've been completely respectful to others. No need for name calling
How dare you suggest that puppies should be tied up and burned alive. What kind of monster would say such a thing.

Physical disc rot is worse with older forms of media like CD's and even DVD's, but allegedly improves with newer forms (especially Blu-Ray). Of course, we won't know until they're old enough to see how they hold up. Vita cartridges will probably last a long time.
Yeah, I had an old set of lucasarts Archive CD's for the PC ages ago, and almost every disc in the set rotted having set in a CD case in a temperature controlled environment, but I haven't had that happen to anything else since.

So for sure, manufacturing, or just the medium in general has improved greatly over the years. But I would prefer carts any day over a disc storage, just to be on the safe side, but of course, that's not always an option anymore.

I'm not gonna lie, I totally buy these games to keep sealed and sit on my shelves. And if that bothers you, then you can go fuck yourself.:) 

All that matters is that you're happy with your purchases.

I've never understood why people feel the need to demonize or ridicule sealed game collectors. People can get simple satisfaction out of owning a game, sealed or not. It's not always about money and even if it is, who cares? Let people enjoy their shit however they want. 

Has anyone played Plague Road? It looks a bit half baked so I'm wondering how it is from someone who's played a version of it.
I did for like half an hour when I first got the Steam key... and it's not good. The setting and art style are really cool, but the gameplay is pretty meh... it's like a hybird adventure/RPG/SRPG game. The early stages were very difficult- I was doing something wrong I'm guessing but had no way of knowing if that was true or not because there was no info the game.

Since the in-fighting seems to have calmed down, how about a new witch hunt?

Just browsing 'Limited Run' under 'Video Games' on amazon and I pull this gem.

https://www.amazon.com/Broken-Age-Limited-Run-60/dp/B0738P35VY

"Only 10 left in stock - order soon.
Sold by ForTheLoveOfGame and Fulfilled by Amazon."
For the Love of Game, founded in 2011, is a trusted source for everything movies and comic books as well as related collectibles, professional makeup, supplements, etc. We are located in Redmond, WA, and ship to the U.S. and internationally.
Wonder how he got ahold of so many copies?

I did for like half and hour when I first got the Steal key... and it's not good. The setting and art style are really cool, but the gameplay is pretty meh... it's like a hybird adventure/RPG/SRPG game. The early stages were very difficult- I was doing something wrong I'm guessing but had no way of knowing if that was true or not because there was no info the game.
Yeah. I'm torn on keeping the game after backing the Kickstarter for the variant cover. I have a firm rule that I play every game I purchase/own. I could skirt it by using the Vita code they already sent and keeping the game sealed for collectors purposes, but it annoys me that the game is such a letdown from everything I've read.

Wait, I know BA didn't sell as fast as everyone thought it would but it actually lasted past 24 hrs? That's when LRG removes the purchase limits.
I don't even think it's 24 hours anymore, but just into the weekend now, lol.

They may have just did it for like the very last bit of it towards when it's almost sold out just to be done with it.

im curious about starting this new cards thing since the postcards/stickers are done. If i order 2 copies of Oceanhorn, do i get 2 cards or will it be like the postcard/sticker getting 1 per order? thanks. i just want to clarify.

im curious about starting this new cards thing since the postcards/stickers are done. If i order 2 copies of Oceanhorn, do i get 2 cards or will it be like the postcard/sticker getting 1 per order? thanks. i just want to clarify.
They are supposed to give you two, and they are also supposed to be different. So you should get the Oceanhorn card 1 & 2 for ordering two copies of the same game. So this is the only way currently to get both cards released for anyone game, but if "1" is the limit on any particular future releases, you gonna have to try trading, or buying later in the year, once they are offered for sale.

The real question is why you mamma's boys have sealed rubber collections. Don't give me that backlog bullshit... or digital is better.

The real question is why you mamma's boys have sealed rubber collections. Don't give me that backlog bullshit... or digital is better.
Full_Metal_Jacket_R_Lee_Ermey.jpg

My experience is that people either keep their games sealed for resell value (does nothing for me, but at least it makes sense) or they don't really know why--if you force them to think about it. Having 'sealed' items has entered the zeitgeist of collecting basically everything. The root of it comes from value, of course, but plenty of others jump on the bandwagon just due to being inundated with everyone thinking that it's somehow better.

Bottom line, if you plan on selling things in the future, then I get where you're coming from. If not, you're definitely depriving yourself of 90% of the possible enjoyment that the item can give you. I obviously don't care at all with what people do with their own things, but I do typically struggle with mindsets that partake in (and defend) a practice without really being able to explain it or make sense of it.

And, just to counter this one right from the get go, sealed doesn't guarantee pristine. Disc can be loose, manual can be bent, case can be messed up, etc. And, the biggest one, for anything that comes in a DVD case (vs a Jewel case): creases to the artwork are incredibly common and a rampant problem. I often have to buy many, many copies of a game (new from a store!) before I actually get a pristine one. To someone that cares about truly mint items, the shrink wrap don't mean jack.

We must also keep in mind that we are talking about video games. Many of these arguments hold true for music cds, vinyl, comics, movies, etc, but these points don't work for everything that a person could possibly collect. Games have things in the box that you can't check out and enjoy if you don't open it. Games are actually incredibly fragile in a lot of ways, so sealed doesn't always mean perfect, and--elephant in the room--games can be played when opened.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

hob·by1
ˈhäbē
noun
noun: hobby; plural noun: hobbies

1. 1.

an activity done regularly in one's leisure time for pleasure.
    "her hobbies are reading and gardening"
    synonyms: pastime, leisure activity, leisure pursuit; More

sideline, side interest, diversion, avocation;
    recreation, entertainment, amusement
    "writing poetry is just one of my hobbies"

2. 2.

archaic
    a small horse or pony.

Last I checked, I don't own a small horse or pony, so I guess I do just do this for fun.
Confirmed Squarehard is a pony. : D

I have no problem with people who keep games sealed. Why would I, it doesn't affect my life. When those same people get on their high horse about scalpers though, I do take issue with that, because it's pure hypocrisy.

When you buy a game and don't open it and keep it on a shelf, you're unintentionally depriving another gamer out there of a limited title who would want to open it, play it, and use it for its intended purposes. Hell, one could even make a case that at least with scalpers, the game ultimately ends up in the hands of the people who want them. No one forces a buyer to pay that price, they do so of their own desires and free will.

I see a lot of people get on scalpers for greed, but sealed game collecting could technically be considered a form of gluttony.

I personally don't have a problem with either. If you legally purchase a game, you should be able to do whatever the hell you want with it. Let it sit on a shelf for 20 years, open it and play it, or sell it to make a profit. It should apply universally, not to just some random criteria that was arbitrarily decided to be "morally acceptable" in comparison.

It's a major pet peeve. In discussions about limited collector's editions I see people freak out when they don't get their hands on a copy of something that sells out and the first thing people bring up is "omg scalpers gonna sell their copies on ebay!" and it's like dude, you were gonna buy a game and not even open it that could have gone to someone out there who would open and play it, so you have no room to talk. It's pure jealousy fronted with a holier than thou moral high ground. Do whatever you want with your games, and let people do whatever they want with theirs as long is isn't some insane extreme.

I have no problem with people who keep games sealed. Why would I, it doesn't affect my life. When those same people get on their high horse about scalpers though, I do take issue with that, because it's pure hypocrisy.

When you buy a game and don't open it and keep it on a shelf, you're unintentionally depriving another gamer out there of a limited title who would want to open it, play it, and use it for its intended purposes. Hell, one could even make a case that at least with scalpers, the game ultimately ends up in the hands of the people who want them. No one forces a buyer to pay that price, they do so of their own desires and free will.

I see a lot of people get on scalpers for greed, but sealed game collecting could technically be considered a form of gluttony.

I personally don't have a problem with either. If you legally purchase a game, you should be able to do whatever the hell you want with it. Let it sit on a shelf for 20 years, open it and play it, or sell it to make a profit. It should apply universally, not to just some random criteria that was arbitrarily decided to be "morally acceptable" in comparison.

It's a major pet peeve. In discussions about limited collector's editions I see people freak out when they don't get their hands on a copy of something that sells out and the first thing people bring up is "omg scalpers gonna sell their copies on ebay!" and it's like dude, you were gonna buy a game and not even open it that could have gone to someone out there who would open and play it, so you have no room to talk. It's pure jealousy fronted with a holier than thou moral high ground. Do whatever you want with your games, and let people do whatever they want with theirs as long is isn't some insane extreme.
Amen.

My only issue with people keeping games sealed, and this has changed some over time because of reprints and digital distribution, is that there's a good chance of another person in the world that genuinely wants to play whatever game it may be, and I feel they're getting deprived of that if people have games just to have and keep sealed.

Like with Earthbound, because Nintendo put it on the eShop.

Otherwise, it doesn't bother me per se, but I'm in the camp of games are meant to be played. I also don't like when private art collectors scoop up a bunch of great art just because they can and/or have the money. Art is primarily meant for everyone to enjoy.

bread's done
Back