Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
/vomit :puke:

This is everything that I hate about this industry, and why I don't support it anymore.

The first game is a 559mb install size btw.
Especially since both games have been put in the same package in other regions before, including Switch and Vita (even though HM2 in the Vita pack was a download).

It could be worse, at least the games are good. I mean, it's not like they're selling a bunch of Kemco games individually or anything.

[attachment=34495:liars.jpg]

Hotline Miami 1 & 2 upsurprisingly sold out quick. What do you call the business model where you release the Switch version as an open pre-order, specifically state you have no plans for a PS4 release, and then announce a PS4 release a couple months later that is limited to 1K copies in an attempt to hype up demand and get people to double dip?

attachicon.gif
liars.jpg

Hotline Miami 1 & 2 upsurprisingly sold out quick. What do you call the business model where you release the Switch version as an open pre-order, specifically state you have no plans for a PS4 release, and then announce a PS4 release a couple months later that is limited to 1K copies in an attempt to hype up demand and get people to double dip?
"at this time"

Last edited by a moderator:
Any update as to when stuff like Indigo Prophecy and the Star Wars Jedi games are supposed to be shipping? Also curious about Papers Please for Vita since I have to look at grey market for that, but I know they just took orders on that like a month ago.

Any update as to when stuff like Indigo Prophecy and the Star Wars Jedi games are supposed to be shipping? Also curious about Papers Please for Vita since I have to look at grey market for that, but I know they just took orders on that like a month ago.
Papers please has been shipping as a number of people on a Facebook group I am part of received their copy yesterday..

My Papers Please arrived yesterday. I think people were starting to get theirs last week.

Mine shipled Thur and arrived yesterday.

I've noticed that some people are becoming more disillusioned with LRG in general. Grandia being $55 pissed off alot of people on Reddit and now I'm seeing people complaining about them on sites with hardcore collectors like Digitpress. I do hope that Grandia comes to BB at one point, because even though the ports aren't the best I still would like them physically on the Switch. But let's be honest, the Grandia games themselves are not worth paying $55 for. They honestly weren't that great of games back then and they've aged. $40 would have been fine regardless of whatever reasoning they have. Which begs the question... Why is shipping in a cheap, padded mailer almost $6 and extra for a box? In business it's always up to the shipper to get it to the person without damage. I've never heard of any other retailer charging extra for packaging materials or whatever and if it arrives damaging saying "It's your fault for not paying extra for a box!" Small boxes for DVD cases are cheap in bulk and $6 should easily cover the fee for them being shipped in boxes.

But I don't want to just whine and complain, either. I do like having these games physically and I like the effort LRG puts in their art. I've also noticed the resale value for LRG is dying on the resale market for many titles. Even Atooi on the 3DS has sold copies for about $40 so the scalpers lost money on that.

So yeah, back to Grandia. Do I want it? Yes. Do I want to pay $55? No. Will I be buying it? Only if BB carries it, hopefully with their own custom cover... along with Panzer Dragoon.
Welcome to the world of digital-dominant sales. I think most of us who were paying attention to the trajectory of physical vs. digital media sales knew well these days were coming.

A world where physical media is no longer the preferred option only scales in favor of those who can afford paying premiums to own a copy, while the rest now must live with leasing and paying every month. Gee ... renting vs. owning ... sound familiar?

The powers that be (media publishers/distributors) pushed "convenience" on customers and basically got their way.

It's too bad. Premiums for physical media will continue to rise because I assure you there are still WAY more people who can/will pay much more for these. Companies like LRG haven't come close to maxing this out. Like many things in this country, we're going backwards to a time when buying VHS or beta max copies of movies cost $200+.

People in this country don't read, and rarely think any farther than what's two inches in front of them. It's a habit that we're all paying for -- and this is just a super small slice of that problem.

Oh well. Let's face it, Mother Nature would be better off if all of us went extinct.

But I don't want to just whine and complain, either. I do like having these games physically and I like the effort LRG puts in their art. I've also noticed the resale value for LRG is dying on the resale market for many titles. Even Atooi on the 3DS has sold copies for about $40 so the scalpers lost money on that.

So yeah, back to Grandia. Do I want it? Yes. Do I want to pay $55? No. Will I be buying it? Only if BB carries it, hopefully with their own custom cover... along with Panzer Dragoon.
Ah... nothing like the sigh of relief in hearing someone else say what I'm thinking, except I disagree about Grandia- thought it was a great game back in the day and I replayed it a few years ago, still found it enjoyable. Yeah their pricing sucks and yeah, the more I look at it, the more it looks like their padding their bottom line with the shipping (they're charging retailer rates, even though they are not buying at retail rates).

But I still can't help the joy I get owning a physical copy of a game... and at least, it seems like more and more of their games these days hold their value well. I blindly purchased basically everything they released from 2016-2018 range and basically all of those games are worthless.

And speaking of scalpers- I found it sad that people were paying scalper prices for games that LRG still has available for pre-order on their website.

I also feel that more creators and such are maybe wanting things to be great, but there is a lot of good stuff, but maybe not greatness as much anymore. It also is crazy how we as consumers have to weed through everything to find something truly that resonates with us. For music easily what I see as trying to be popular at the moment is KPOP in general. There is so many releases and groups release multiple mini albums a year usually to keep fans' attention. I like it but wow is it a lot to take in, and I don't always find greatness either. I actually did a challenge for myself for just remembering the January releases for this year and could only really name like 2 or 3 out of many that came out. Many just didn't leave a big impact on me. I find RPGs in general to just kind of maybe entertain me, but I lose interest. I used to love RPGs, but it's only a certain few now. The main thing there is so much out there for everything music, games, movies, shows, books, etc... that you couldn't and shouldn't want to consume so much that just really doesn't do much for you. More than anytime in my life if something just doesn't resonate or I get bored I'm more prone to drop it or sell it or whatever. It may have to do with just not having as much of attention span as I did before, but I can still get lost in good games and tv shows and such. It's more obvious when I read, because I generally read very quickly, so if I finish something quickly and it's a more challenging read, it's likely something I'm enjoying a decent amount. Just too much consumption of everything makes everyone look for something to get a dopamine shot, even if it's just because it's new and not even very good.

A major issue is simply volume. And this isn't an issue that is particular to LRG, or other physical production houses. It's an issue with the game industry in general. There is just a glut of content. And with branding and IP considered more valuable, we are also seeing larger pushes for preserving older titles, and possibly re-packaging and re-selling them. So what is old no longer has to go away. Digital distribution systems only further contribute to this, as just about any game can be kept on a virtual, digital "shelf" indefinitely.

The upside is that gaming is honestly more affordable than it ever has been. The downside is that we are perpetually spoiled for choice, and likely will be for the foreseeable future. It's a nice problem to have, but it is still a problem. We're drowning in a sea of content, without enough time to actually enjoy a fraction of it.

This is why curation and critique becomes more important as time goes on. Someone has to wade through the flood and sort the gems from the dross. While a few gluttons are eager to inhale as much as they can, most average gamers will just want to play "the good stuff."

My biggest problem with LRG's shipping is that they charge $6 to ship one Switch game and then ship it using crappy UPS Mail Innovations which takes forever and often gets held up somewhere along the delivery train.  I've shipped enough games out to people to know you can easy ship via 1st class mail for that price. 

Well, as far as I can tell, prices are up across the board due to the pandemic rolling over the globe, and not much more. I recently went to Amazon to buy some past products that have recently ran out, and 9 out of 10 items had price increases of about 3%-7%, many of which had been the same price or less for years. Now that's not to say they aren't gauging people, but if ink, soap, underwear, and washing machine cleaner are up in cost, it's safe to assume a video game produced in China is probably going to be costing more as well. And that goes for the cheap paper printed products they include in CE/SE as well, so higher prices shouldn't be a surprise to anyone(unless you haven't been paying attention).

My biggest problem with LRG's shipping is that they charge $6 to ship one Switch game and then ship it using crappy UPS Mail Innovations which takes forever and often gets held up somewhere along the delivery train. I've shipped enough games out to people to know you can easy ship via 1st class mail for that price.
Yep, they are paying pennies on the dollar for that shit service, and with USPS currently being held hostage by agent orange, shipping is only going to get worse through them for the foreseeable future. This wasn't the reason I stopped shopping with LRG, but it was for sure something I was well aware of due to my own shipping knowledge, and wasn't happy to support it. I got a free key-chain from them for my rewards tickets, and it cost about $6 in shipping, and took ages to arrive. I could have sent the same thing as they had for about $3.50, and it would have arrived in days Vs. weeks.

I'm sure they deal with a good share of loses, but they are making some serious change on that janky shipping method they use, but so is business I suppose. Dealing in the numbers they do, and depending on what they are paying the developers, they could be making more in the long run strictly from the extra cost being received with these poor shipping options.

My biggest problem with LRG's shipping is that they charge $6 to ship one Switch game and then ship it using crappy UPS Mail Innovations which takes forever and often gets held up somewhere along the delivery train. I've shipped enough games out to people to know you can easy ship via 1st class mail for that price.
Not defending their decision, but I believe, in the past, they've said the reason they use that service is because UPS will pick up from their office, and with USPS they'd have to drop off. Whether that's true or not on USPS' part, I do not know.

Not defending their decision, but I believe, in the past, they've said the reason they use that service is because UPS will pick up from their office, and with USPS they'd have to drop off. Whether that's true or not on USPS' part, I do not know.
I remember reading that awhile back. I also vaguely remember they were stuck with UPS Innovations because USPS wouldn't pickup, and their post office was too small to handle to capacity of shipments at one time so they couldn't drop off. That left them with their current option at their only option.

I don't know if what they are charging is high for UPS Innovations, but I know it is between the cost you would pay to have UPS and USPS ship the package individually. Makes sense the price would be in the middle given that two companies need to be paid in the process. Obviously we all wish shipping would be cheaper, and yeah the shipping is a couple days slower than necessary. I typically just bundle games anyways to keep shipping costs low.

Well, as far as I can tell, prices are up across the board due to the pandemic rolling over the globe, and not much more. I recently went to Amazon to buy some past products that have recently ran out, and 9 out of 10 items had price increases of about 3%-7%, many of which had been the same price or less for years. Now that's not to say they aren't gauging people, but if ink, soap, underwear, and washing machine cleaner are up in cost, it's safe to assume a video game produced in China is probably going to be costing more as well. And that goes for the cheap paper printed products they include in CE/SE as well, so higher prices shouldn't be a surprise to anyone(unless you haven't been paying attention).

Yep, they are paying pennies on the dollar for that shit service, and with USPS currently being held hostage by agent orange, shipping is only going to get worse through them for the foreseeable future. This wasn't the reason I stopped shopping with LRG, but it was for sure something I was well aware of due to my own shipping knowledge, and wasn't happy to support it. I got a free key-chain from them for my rewards tickets, and it cost about $6 in shipping, and took ages to arrive. I could have sent the same thing as they had for about $3.50, and it would have arrived in days Vs. weeks.

I'm sure they deal with a good share of loses, but they are making some serious change on that janky shipping method they use, but so is business I suppose. Dealing in the numbers they do, and depending on what they are paying the developers, they could be making more in the long run strictly from the extra cost being received with these poor shipping options.
Get a new hobby and move on if $6 shipping is this traumatizing for you.

Get a new hobby and move on if $6 shipping is this traumatizing for you.
Were did I state it was traumatizing? I mention one situation were I was charged $6 dollars to send me a key chain, and I explained in detail why it shouldn't cost that much(evidence of said issues). I also stated that because of their own losses on shipping, they may be charging more to off set that. This is CAG, people here complain about 7, 10, and 50 dollar shipping, and if no one has an issue with paying $6 dollars for a Key Chain, then I would say why are you on CAG? I have also paid 50, 100, and even up to $500+ on international shipping for this said hobby, so $5 is far from the issue wouldn't you say?

Unlike most in this thread, I show the good with LRG, as well as the bad, and often within the same comment, I'll argue for both sides. As I don't know why they do what they do, so I say what I personally think, as well as pointing out what they may actually be thinking, based on my own experience with said matters.

I quit buying "limited" items from LRG and all the other limited business close to a year ago, so once again, what hobby am I said to need to quit? I quit it last December. I'm not the normal fool who comes here daily to complain and slam LRG for the same problems they've had with them for years. The discussion was high shipping, and I joined the conversation. Maybe if you can't see fit to have an adult conversation about the business in the thread title, I would argue you find a less traumatizing hobby, because I stopped this aspect of my own hobby ages ago. But when I discuss a topic, I like to show evidence of said topic, instead of the talk that spews out of most a$$es here, with no proof of facts to be seen, EVER!

Were did I state it was traumatizing? I mention one situation were I was charged $6 dollars to send me a key chain, and I explained in detail why it shouldn't cost that much(evidence of said issues). I also stated that because of their own losses on shipping, they may be charging more to off set that. This is CAG, people here complain about 7, 10, and 50 dollar shipping, and if no one has an issue with paying $6 dollars for a Key Chain, then I would say why are you on CAG? I have also paid 50, 100, and even up to $500+ on international shipping for this said hobby, so $5 is far from the issue wouldn't you say?

Unlike most in this thread, I show the good with LRG, as well as the bad, and often within the same comment, I'll argue for both sides. As I don't know why they do what they do, so I say what I personally think, as well as pointing out what they may actually be thinking, based on my own experience with said matters.

I quit buying "limited" items from LRG and all the other limited business close to a year ago, so once again, what hobby am I said to need to quit? I quit it last December. I'm not the normal fool who comes here daily to complain and slam LRG for the same problems they've had with them for years. The discussion was high shipping, and I joined the conversation. Maybe if you can't see fit to have an adult conversation about the business in the thread title, I would argue you find a less traumatizing hobby, because I stopped this aspect of my own hobby ages ago. But when I discuss a topic, I like to show evidence of said topic, instead of the talk that spews out of most a$$es here, with no proof of facts to be seen, EVER!
Nobody cares about your rants. Get on topic, please.

On topic: My Streets of Rage 4 Classic edition came in a couple days ago. The thing is massive and well worth the wait! Hopefully they’ll ship blaster master zero or shantae in the next few weeks.

Does anyone know whats up with the Shantae and the Seven Sirens CE game shipping?  I feel like it should've been sent out by now, no?  Haven't heard any news on it at all.

Does anyone know whats up with the Shantae and the Seven Sirens CE game shipping?
I’ve been wondering the same thing. They haven’t posted any updates on Twitter. The website still lists an estimate of Q3, which, if accurate, would have to be next month, but who knows if that’ll happen? (Panzer Dragoon also says Q3, when their most recent email update confirms Q4.)

Does anyone know whats up with the Shantae and the Seven Sirens CE game shipping? I feel like it should've been sent out by now, no? Haven't heard any news on it at all.
Not surprising given I'm sure the pandemic is causing havoc to the supply chains. No fault to LRG. Have some interest in this game. Like the platforming so may plan to grab it from Best Buy.

Nobody cares about your rants. Get on topic, please.
Calm down, man. You're in a message forum. People can freely talk about their experiences.

If you don't care to read it, then don't. No reason to tell folks not to share around here.

CAG also stands for Civilizing Ass Gamers.

Stay. On. Topic.
And what would that topic be? Only the ones you want to discuss? Or only the ones you find on topic?

Your a bully, and nothing more, and if you don't like the discussion of LRG, I would suggest you stay on topic, OR LEAVE! You may not be aware, but I don't like your type, and so long as your spouting your special brand of "bully", I'll be right there to comment back, as I don't like bullies and those who think their opinions are the only ones that matter. So if you don't like my post block me, otherwise, GTFO out of my way!!!

Not surprising given I'm sure the pandemic is causing havoc to the supply chains. No fault to LRG. Have some interest in this game. Like the platforming so may plan to grab it from Best Buy.
Yeah, shipping is all over the please and production is even worse, but it is moving forward, but very chaotically to say the least. Depending on the company and how much pull they have on the production stage, delays can be small, or they will in fact be much larger, those are the current realities(if people choose to believe them or not).

I mainly stopped supporting LRG because while they're offering a lot, I really don't feel the need to preserve physically many games. I'm generally of the point where I'll play a game and likely not replay it because there are too many games to play. After I beat, drop, or get bored of a game I'll generally move it to retired/completed digitally or donate/sell my copy physically. LRG stuff does tend to keep some value though at least, though some like Mystery Chronicles One Way Heroics I know are worth very little. 

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunGames/status/1297930164442202112?s=20
I find myself perplexed at times by LRG's pricing. $65 for an 8-but throwback that isn't even that long, a sheet of stickers, some tiny standees, and a CD. Throw in shipping and it makes the package even less appealing.

I find myself perplexed at times by LRG's pricing. $65 for an 8-but throwback that isn't even that long, a sheet of stickers, some tiny standees, and a CD. Throw in shipping and it makes the package even less appealing.
Agreed. A steelbook might have sweetened the deal, but it's an easy pass.

My problem is that I ordered Vitamin Connection for the switch 6 months ago and there have been 23 more announced switch releases after that. I get the global pandemic has thrown a monkey wrench into everything but if you can’t even get a game out in 6 months that has already been released digitally then you shouldn’t be accepting orders for 23 freaking games (even more if you count PS4 releases). I’m pretty much done with them. I’ll buy them if Best Buy gets them otherwise they are just taking money and not delivering product and just taking our money to apparently to keep the whole thing from collapsing. I’m an old school physical collector and while I appreciate their theory they have really soured my on their company. 

The last game I got was Nightrap I think. Or the Nurse Love games or the visual novels on Vita...forget the names now. Been a while and it shows what I mainly support.

I feel sorry for people that bought Lawbreakers
Wasn't that the game that... they forced people to buying as part of a bundle with another, super high demand game? I can't remember what game but I think it was Night Trap. They had a ton of bundles of Lawbreakers and some game, and I remember a ton of people being pissed because the standalone copy sold out within seconds (to no one's surprise) but the bundle was readily available because nobody wanted Lawbreakers.

Wasn't that the game that... they forced people to buying as part of a bundle with another, super high demand game? I can't remember what game but I think it was Night Trap. They had a ton of bundles of Lawbreakers and some game, and I remember a ton of people being pissed because the standalone copy sold out within seconds (to no one's surprise) but the bundle was readily available because nobody wanted Lawbreakers.
It was Wonder Boy Dragon's Trap on PS4.

I’ll buy them if Best Buy gets them otherwise they are just taking money and not delivering product and just taking our money to apparently to keep the whole thing from collapsing.
My friend and I have been speculating for a little while now that LRG might be a bit of a house of cards. Like what happens if they just disappear or go bankrupt one day with all that preorder money? Is their secret business model take as much money as possible and then delay delivery for as long as possible? I've always wondered what their finances actually looked like.

Even stuff like Turok 1 & 2 being sold as separate games... Why? This sets a bad precedent in general. Last generation we had entire HD collections like Jak Collection, Ratchet & Clank Collection, etc. for one low price and now by buying these titles individually we are basically telling publishers we are willing to overpay and make bad decisions for nostalgia.
I'm not going to rake you over the coals, as quite a bit of what you're saying here is correct, or I can at least appreciate the sentiment behind it. But there is also a little bit of paranoia here that needs to be addressed.

If LRG, and some of the other small-time physical boutiques were some manner of long-term scam or con, they would have gotten out before now. They are a business, and a certain degree of skepticism of them is perfectly fine. Trusting institutions blindly is unwise. Holding them accountable for their actions is prudent. No argument on any of those points.

However, it seems like a major issue you personally seem to have is "their" decision to divide games up into separate releases, and on the prices they charge. Neither of these factors are LRG's decisions. They leave those choices up to the developers. A lot of fans who complain about these factors seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding over what LRG is. They are not a large-scale publisher. They don't wield the kind of power or authority that an EA or an Activision has. LRG's boutique business model features much, MUCH lower profit margins for the stock they shift. Most of the developers who go to LRG to sell physical copies aren't doing it expecting huge profits. Some of them go into it actively expecting to break even or possibly even take a slight loss. They are tiny developers looking to get their games physically produced for prestige and novelty, and most of them fully expect to make most of their money from digital sales.

As such, LRG does not have nearly as much leverage or influence as many fans assume. This has only gotten more pronounced as alternatives and competitors have cropped up. Now smaller developers can pick and choose who they want to produce their limited physical copies. LRG does not have the ability to dictate how the games are bundled or what price is charged for them. That is up to the individual developers. All LRG can do is suggest.

I can certainly sympathize with your complaints. Dishing out $30+ dollars for individual releases of 30+ year old SNK titles is onerous. You've got to be a pretty hard-core fan to pony up that much scratch for old NeoGeo games. But then, this particular branch of the hobby is already for the hard-core fans. Casual fans just buy games digitally anyway, and usually get to pay less for them. If money is an issue, save your pennies for the physical copies you REALLY want, and buy the rest of the titles you want to play on a digital sale. There's nothing wrong with NOT buying every physical release.

Douglas recently tweeted that Grandia HD Collection has already sold over 12,000 preorders, which is quite impressive considering the price and issues the digital version on Switch had.

I wouldn't be surprised if BBY has slowed their ordering of LRG titles recently. Covid has hit everything, but retail in particular has suffered. It doesn't make much sense for a brick-and-mortar store to cut back on physical copies for their retail locations. I imagine they still do decent business through their on-line store, but I still wouldn't be surprised if they scaled back orders.

bread's done
Back