Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
God dammit Josh is on Twitter dropping hints that LRG got the Neo Geo Pocket Color Collection in the US. Luckily Play-Asia has their own version, just in case anyone doesn't feel like waiting a year to actually play it.

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunJosh/status/1375129022070452228?s=19

https://www.play-asia.com/neogeo-pocket-color-selection-vol-1-english/13/70eat5?tagid=299648

Edit: Twitter link not working. Oh well.
Edit 2: Or maybe it is now? Lol
That's really a dick move to go tell people not to buy at another company's site

Quite a bit unprofessional, but we can't forget LRG are amazing people and never do anything wrong! Honestly I kind of like not buying anything from them. Of course I'm more for buying digital stuff now and playing them now, so I'm not quite their intended audience anymore.

Quite a bit unprofessional, but we can't forget LRG are amazing people and never do anything wrong! Honestly I kind of like not buying anything from them. Of course I'm more for buying digital stuff now and playing them now, so I'm not quite their intended audience anymore.
Honest question, how is Josh letting people know that there will be an ESRB release unprofessional? I mean people are constantly complaining where something gets a European release and then gets released in the US after the fact and vice versa. I'd rather have transparency from both the European companies and the US companies letting everyone know what is going on with each release instead of potentially ending up with two copies of the same game.

Just got a shipping notice for my order for Gris, Samurai Jack PS4 standard and Grandia HD. I honestly had no idea I pre-ordered Samurai Jack.... 

Honest question, how is Josh letting people know that there will be an ESRB release unprofessional? I mean people are constantly complaining where something gets a European release and then gets released in the US after the fact and vice versa. I'd rather have transparency from both the European companies and the US companies letting everyone know what is going on with each release instead of potentially ending up with two copies of the same game.
Well he is specifically trying to steal buys from Play-Asia. If people take his hint and buy the LRG version, that is a loss of sales for PA.

Well he is specifically trying to steal buys from Play-Asia. If people take his hint and buy the LRG version, that is a loss of sales for PA.
By providing honest information about what is going to happen. I agree that it will impact Play Asia, but Play Asia is also going to impact sales at LRG. Just like I think LRG should be more honest about any retail release or Best Buy release plans for the games they sell, I think all of these publishers should be honest about whether or not releases in other regions are currently planned. Like I said, plenty of European collectors feel burned if they buy from LRG and a European release ends up happening. As a collector with a preference for ESRB releases, I would prefer to know what the complete release landscape looks like.

That's really a dick move to go tell people not to buy at another company's site
You think that's a dick move? Wait till LRG starts announcing thier releases for it, a physical separate release for each game on the collection with a standard and collectors edition for each one, of course.

By providing honest information about what is going to happen. I agree that it will impact Play Asia, but Play Asia is also going to impact sales at LRG. Just like I think LRG should be more honest about any retail release or Best Buy release plans for the games they sell, I think all of these publishers should be honest about whether or not releases in other regions are currently planned. Like I said, plenty of European collectors feel burned if they buy from LRG and a European release ends up happening. As a collector with a preference for ESRB releases, I would prefer to know what the complete release landscape looks like.
Lrg won't ship until 2022, bojay you're a piece of shit

I think I could forgive LRG if they were getting more japanese games that never got either english or physical releases. Some games I would be willing to wait for. I remember they did open a japanese office, right? For example, if they had gotten Tales of innocence R, Saga Scarlet Grace, Chaos Ring, just as examples of games I wanted, I really wouldn't have minded waiting 8 months. I'll be fair, I don't have a problem, mostly, with the No more heroes releases. I understand waiting 8 months to a year to translate and manufacture a japanese game for america.

But that isn't the case with many of their releases since most of them are already in english and are just indie games or just really old games. I recal one of their tweets was them blaming covid for delays recently. This is an excuse you can milk for only so long. Covid has been around for over a year and most shipping industries are still working. I would also like to note that many discs and such are not actually made in china, but in mexico. It says so on the box a lot of the times.

Pre-ordered the Fata Morgana CE because I'm a masochist. I missed the Vita release and waffled about buying it from eBay but now I'm glad I waited. I don't usually buy deluxe releases but I think LRG priced this one fairly. The artbook and 6 disc soundtrack was worth the extra scratch IMO. Now to play the (long) waiting game.

Fata Morgana soundtrack is one of the most interesting for sure. I got my Vita copy and I should play it. I played a few chapters on PC a while back. Very unique VN with an interesting story with plenty of twists.

It's nice to see all the Fata Morgana love years after its initial release on Steam. Never thought there would be so many console ports in English. Now if only that Umineko Kickstarter from a few years back hadn't crashed and burned before it even started.

oof I was hoping for a regular release for neogeo pocket station. It was going to get a physical anyway with or without LRGs 'help' anyway.

Everybody bought two controllers with their console but LRG ordered the same number of controllers as consoles?
So they should have had 7000 controllers if they expected everyone to buy 2. I was able to get one from the second batch. They sold out again before the actual “console”.

Bought an Astro City Mini plus a controller from Amazon JP this week for $130, shipped. The Mini was a shade over $91. Controller was around $18. Shipping was $21. Remember, with Amazon JP once you go to checkout most stuff decreases in price some. I also pay in Yen since there is a conversion charge if you pay in USD. Only drawback is that currently they are only allowing the purchase of one controller. Still, I got the Mini, controller, and fast shipping for about the same price as LRG is selling only the mini, and that is before their sales tax and shipping and any BS that comes along with doing business with LRG.

Just a heads up for people if they haven't heard, new reports are claiming that the PS4 cmos battery is basically a ticking timebomb. Should the battery die, the system will no longer play discs (yes, DISCS) without a replacement battery followed by an online check with PSN. So if the battery dies and PSN for whatever reason has been shut off for the PS4, the console essentially becomes a brick.

Wonder how this squares with Limited Run's preservation mission? Think they'll stop pumping out so many PS4 games?

Source: https://in.ign.com/ps4/156581/news/ps4-clock-battery-death-will-kill-your-ability-to-play-games-report

Just a heads up for people if they haven't heard, new reports are claiming that the PS4 cmos battery is basically a ticking timebomb. Should the battery die, the system will no longer play discs (yes, DISCS) without a replacement battery followed by an online check with PSN. So if the battery dies and PSN for whatever reason has been shut off for the PS4, the console essentially becomes a brick.

Wonder how this squares with Limited Run's preservation mission? Think they'll stop pumping out so many PS4 games?

Source: https://in.ign.com/ps4/156581/news/ps4-clock-battery-death-will-kill-your-ability-to-play-games-report
It is nothing that can't be fixed with a patch.

Besides, buy a PS5 or PS6 or whatever current version. It will be BC.

It is nothing that can't be fixed with a patch.

Besides, buy a PS5 or PS6 or whatever current version. It will be BC.
Yeah, except PS5 has its own issue of having its storage soldered directly on the motherboard. If any part of that fails at any point, it's a completely worthless system. At least with the PS4 there's hope someone could attempt local PSN time spoofing.

Should the battery die, the system will no longer play discs (yes, DISCS) without a replacement battery followed by an online check with PSN.
The PSN issue is troubling. Less so the battery. Replacing an internal CMOS battery can be a pain, but is far from impossible. And it's well within the control of whoever possesses the physical system. The PSN issue is more worrying, as it is a remote system outside the control of the customer. Requiring a check-in to re-enable disc reading seems onerous, especially for an older, legacy system. Granted, the PS4 isn't at that point yet. It still has several years of life left in it, doubly so if production for its successor remains low. It would be nice for Sony to remove this requirement in a firmware update. Though we might have to wait for that sort of thing, especially if the PS4 continues to sell.

PS4 support is likely going to last a long time because of the PS5 having BC with the PS4.   It probably will be the PS6 before this becomes a must fix situation (and if they haven't fixed it by then... it might be worth opening the ps4 and adding a second cmos battery bracket  (cr2032 sized) and going ahead and replacing the main battery.   Then you can either keep a second battery in there... or install a second battery while replacing the main battery.  Not ideal... but there are ways to work around this (even dangerously replacing the battery pre-emptively with the system on).

Someone needs to explain to me the appeal of completely blank USBs/Cartridges.
I totally agree. LRG's penchant for dumping a bunch of crap in CEs to jack up the price irks me. I'd gladly pay extra for steelbook, art book, etc. but including stuff like 'premium stickers' or the blank carts to inflate the price keeps me from buying some of these otherwise cool collections.

Wouldnt having the PS4 not connect to the internet solve the problem of it not connecting to PSN and thus disabling the disc reader?
No, the purported issue is that you need a working CMOS battery for the PS4 to work whether that's playing digital games or off a disc drive. Once you change the CMOS battery, you currently need to log into PSN to authenticate your console once again. Sony could fix this with a firmware update or more likely, people will figure out a work around of some kind like hot swapping the battery. Regardless, the games themselves that are on disc will work in any functional PS4, so that's not really an issue, it's more an issue of having a working PS4 at that point.

The 'Doom' steelbook is pretty cool. The rest of the crap, not so much. At least they aren't individual releases, but, and there are quite a few people asking on Twitter, there isn't confirmation yet if 'Resurrection of Evil' and/or 'The Last Mission are included. Considering they were included in yesterday's release of 'Doom 3 VR,' this would be an odd omission. That said, I have the BFG disc for Xbox 360 already (which came with the classic cover art poster), so easy pass for me.

Sony hasn't announced anything. A news outlet with a sketchy publication history cited an anonymous source saying the store was closing, and since then nobody - Sony, other outlets (except those citing the original news article), or developers - have confirmed it.
I courteously refrained from responding to this earlier. After all, you were correct, the news was a rumor, and had not been confirmed officially by Sony.

Today, this news was corroborated officially by Sony themselves. Now that I've been patient, perhaps we can now officially speculate on the significance of this news without quibbling over its veracity?

The PS3 and PS Vita stores will be going down, and staying down permanently. Anyone hoping to purchase games digitally for either platform will not be able to do so. I personally am particularly concerned about what this might mean for PS1 Classics titles, as both of those platforms were the primary place to play such legacy titles. The PS4 has never had support for digital PS1 purchases.

I courteously refrained from responding to this earlier. After all, you were correct, the news was a rumor, and had not been confirmed officially by Sony.

Today, this news was corroborated officially by Sony themselves. Now that I've been patient, perhaps we can now officially speculate on the significance of this news without quibbling over its veracity?

The PS3 and PS Vita stores will be going down, and staying down permanently. Anyone hoping to purchase games digitally for either platform will not be able to do so. I personally am particularly concerned about what this might mean for PS1 Classics titles, as both of those platforms were the primary place to play such legacy titles. The PS4 has never had support for digital PS1 purchases.
Short version: It sucks.

Some optimists out there have been speculating that this, in conjunction with a patent Sony filed for trophies in older games (which is a new patent, although they did file something similar several years ago) means they're looking into expanding their backwards compatibility offerings, but I don't really trust Sony to make that friendly of a move at this point.

It also strands a bunch of enjoyable or otherwise notable games on original, expensive (especially post-COVID) retro formats. And while it does open the door for repros or re-releases, in the current video game collecting landscape I don't know that that's a good thing. Games being accessible certainly is, but overpriced repackages not so much.

A lot of people here swear by physical media (and to good reason, as this news attests) but keeping retro games digitally accessible at reasonable prices has its merits too. It's sad to see that disintegrate, because the remaining options certainly aren't ideal.

I guess the light at the end of the tunnel is our download lists, unseemly as they may be on native stores, and services like trophies/multiplayer are unaffected by this (for now at least). Still time to buy and back-up anything you're particularly fond of.

Even thought it's a nightmare to scroll through the Vita & PS3 purchase history on the systems... at least purchased games will still be downloadable.   That was the majority of my worry right there taken away.  I'm pretty satisfied with my PS3 and Vita digital libraries as is.  Same for PSP.  Maybe I would have picked up a couple more psp classics if they went on sale, but I bought so much along the way that my library is well stocked.   My one issue is probably going to be PS+ games... Not sure which of those I might need to go back and purchase since I gave up renewing PS+ after PS3 & Vita were dropped.   I rarely play anything online and the discounts on PSN weren't enough since I've opted to only buy specific games physically for PS4 and skip the digital side.

Nice! Missed Project Warlock on Switch at Super Rare Games so I'll take this!

Also, easy pass on Doom Collection as I have so many copies of those games.

Also, easy pass on Doom Collection as I have so many copies of those games.
Yeah an easy pass for me as well. The first two games were $2.50 each recently for Switch.. and not much more for 3. So... if I'm going to buy them, digital is fine enough. Though I'll likely just stick with the pc versions when I need a trip down memory lane.

Source: https://in.ign.com/ps4/156581/news/ps4-clock-battery-death-will-kill-your-ability-to-play-games-report
Yeah, this is a game changer for me. At this point, it's not worth investing into Playstation and I'll only be buying games I intend to play that aren't on Xbox/PC/Switch. So many obstacles with modern consoles with DRM, online checks, updates etc....and now this. This just pushes me further into the direction of piracy.

Also, I wish I could cancel that KOF2002UM CE I ordered. Oh well, I actually like the game so I'll get my money's worth from it and I'm sure it'll be ported in the future.

So many obstacles with modern consoles with DRM, online checks, updates etc....and now this. This just pushes me further into the direction of piracy..
I'm super cautious about which switch games I buy, trying to make sure they are complete and at least fully working at launch. The Switch is probably going to be the last system where it's possible to get working games at launch... unless Nintendo sticks with physical games next gen. It's part of why I got so upset at LRG releasing Golf Story without the patch released a year earlier that fixed a major bug. The game is still playable if you are careful not to trigger the game save killing bug... but it never should have been published with such an old build.

bread's done
Back