- LOCK - Format War - HD DVD vs. Blu-Ray - LOCK -

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='mykevermin']:lol: Yes, Sony's dead broke, and couldn't afford a booth at a convention that even third-tier techie blogs didn't seem to want to cover, let alone the mainstream media.

I hear HD DVD has a booth at the midwestern Kansas CatFancy convention next week. The only question is: will Sony have the GUTS to show up?!?!?[/QUOTE]

Last year, Sony was there with a huge booth. This year no where to be found...the same year HD DVD wins the Top 5. Conspiracy?

Comparing Digital Life to Cat Fancy is BS and you know it. :roll:

[quote name='GizmoGC']Last year, Sony was there with a huge booth. This year no where to be found...the same year HD DVD wins the Top 5. Conspiracy?

Comparing Digital Life to Cat Fancy is BS and you know it. :roll:[/QUOTE]

Where's the media coverage of this mega event, then? I don't see anything from media sources, save for a handful of nobody blogs. Sure seems to be a big nothing convention, given the coverage it gets. HD may as well have given a sales pitch to a wall and bought themselves a trophy.

Should I bring up whatever European tech convention award the PS3 won (precisely because of BR) a month or so ago, at a convention where HD DVD was there also? Is it a big deal worth mentioning when HD wins awards at a nothing convention when Sony isn't present, but Sony wins the awards at the nothing convention when they're both there?

:lol:

[quote name='mykevermin']Where's the media coverage of this mega event, then? I don't see anything from media sources, save for a handful of nobody blogs. Sure seems to be a big nothing convention, given the coverage it gets. HD may as well have given a sales pitch to a wall and bought themselves a trophy.

Should I bring up whatever European tech convention award the PS3 won (precisely because of BR) a month or so ago, at a convention where HD DVD was there also? Is it a big deal worth mentioning when HD wins awards at a nothing convention when Sony isn't present, but Sony wins the awards at the nothing convention when they're both there?

:lol:[/QUOTE]

..This is a format war thread. Yes, bring them up.
HD DVD won, Sony and the BDA was not even present...when they were the year before.

Still waiting for the Blu sides response to Fox's titles not playing in 3 different players. You're fine with dissing HD DVD Combos when a few people have issues, but when you have a Day and Date Release of a fairly 'big' movie not playing on 3 different players...its all hush hush :lol:

Evidently you didn't read where firmware updates are coming? I'm sure that you'll still criticize it and call BR "crippled," as if firmware updates are indicators of "crippled" (and thus both formats are "crippled")...but it *IS* a response.

I'm sure you weren't looking for a response, of course, so it would be easier to claim they did not respond...but they have acknowledged it, and fixes are on the way.

Find something else to cry about.

[quote name='mykevermin']Evidently you didn't read where firmware updates are coming? I'm sure that you'll still criticize it and call BR "crippled," as if firmware updates are indicators of "crippled" (and thus both formats are "crippled")...but it *IS* a response.

I'm sure you weren't looking for a response, of course, so it would be easier to claim they did not respond...but they have acknowledged it, and fixes are on the way.

Find something else to cry about.[/QUOTE]

Funny, I can buy any HD DVD, put it in my HD DVD player, and it WORKS! No need to wait for 'promised' Firmware updates to arrive so I can watch my $35 movie on my $600 (Samsung 1400), $1,000 (Samsung 1000), and $1,200 (LG Combo) players. Will Samsung always support the 1000, 1400 players with new firmware updates? This is the first "issue" of many for Blu-ray. Can't wait for the Profile 1.1 mess. This will only help insure that Blu-ray will stay a 'PS3 Movie' format and never hit mainstream like they want.

Can you post a link to where the manufacturers indicated a firmware fix would come? So far its only been through random people stating thats what the Tech guys reported when they called, or the article on where Fox blames them for not keeping everything 'up to date'. So far, no official announcement from either LG or Samsung. So far its 5 days and LG has yet to release their promised firmware update.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Funny, I can buy any HD DVD, put it in my HD DVD player, and it WORKS! No need to wait for 'promised' Firmware updates to arrive so I can watch my $35 movie on my $600 (Samsung 1400), $1,000 (Samsung 1000), and $1,200 (LG Combo) players. Will Samsung always support the 1000, 1400 players with new firmware updates? This is the first "issue" of many for Blu-ray. Can't wait for the Profile 1.1 mess. This will only help insure that Blu-ray will stay a 'PS3 Movie' format and never hit mainstream like they want.

Can you post a link to where the manufacturers indicated a firmware fix would come? So far its only been through random people stating thats what the Tech guys reported when they called, or the article on where Fox blames them for not keeping everything 'up to date'. So far, no official announcement from either LG or Samsung. So far its 5 days and LG has yet to release their promised firmware update.[/quote]
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Fox/BD+/Technical_Glitches/Playback_Problems_Reported_on_Silver_Surfer,_Day_After_Tomorrow_Blu-ray_Discs/1035

Playback Problems Reported on 'Silver Surfer,' 'Day After Tomorrow' Blu-ray Discs
Thu Oct 04, 2007 at 11:00 AM ET
Tags: Technical Glitches, Fox (all tags)

Two of the most eagerly anticipated next-gen releases in recent memory have hit a series of playback snags on select Blu-ray players, but a fix is said to be on the way.

As we've previously reported, 'Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer' and 'Day After Tomorrow' (both released this past Tuesday) mark the first Blu-ray releases from Fox Home Entertainment following a six month sabbatical.

But while the discs have generally been well-received (our own Peter Bracke raved about the audio/video quality in his review of 'Silver Surfer'), what was initially a cause for celebration has become an exercise in frustration for some Blu-ray fans as incompatibility issues with some players have hindered playback of the discs.

The most severe problems have been reported on Samsung's BDP-1200 and LG's BH100, which are both said to be incapable of playing back the discs at all. Less catastophic issues (error messages and playback stutter) have been reported for Samsung's BDP-1000. The discs appear to play back fine on all other Blu-ray players (including the PlayStation 3), although users have reported lengthy load times of up to two minutes.

It has been widely speculated that these issues stem from the use of BD+ copy protection on the two discs. We contacted Fox for comment, but so far there's no official word from the studio.

Calls placed to both Samsung and LG customer support revealed that both manufacturers are aware of the issue, and that both are working on firmware updates to correct it. Samsung promised a firmware update within "a couple" weeks, while LG said an update is expected in 3-4 days.

We'll keep you posted when/if any official statements are released by Fox or any of the manufacturers involved. In the meantime, we've set up a dedicated thread in our Forums area to discuss playback problems with both the 'Silver Surfer' and 'Day After Tomorrow' discs.
You mean a link like this? I wouldn't call Highdefdigest some random guy who called Customer Support.

Just a quick question, this is slightly off topic, but this really doesn't deserve a thread. Is anyone working on an optical drive for the PC that only reads Blu-Ray and HD DVD, skipping out on any burning capabilities whatsoever? I'd imagine this would impart a significant cost savings on the drive, compared to what's out now...and I really have no desire to burn to expensive formats (for the time being at least).

[quote name='CocheseUGA']This thread sucks.[/QUOTE]

Shouldn't you be busy creating another feud in your mind by calling someone a "pussy" (or some equally uncreative slur) in your user title?

[quote name='TxdoHawk']Just a quick question, this is slightly off topic, but this really doesn't deserve a thread. Is anyone working on an optical drive for the PC that only reads Blu-Ray and HD DVD, skipping out on any burning capabilities whatsoever? I'd imagine this would impart a significant cost savings on the drive, compared to what's out now...and I really have no desire to burn to expensive formats (for the time being at least).[/QUOTE]

I thought there already was a drive that was read only...?
I'm not familiar with any of the PC drives for either format though.

[quote name='TxdoHawk']Just a quick question, this is slightly off topic, but this really doesn't deserve a thread. Is anyone working on an optical drive for the PC that only reads Blu-Ray and HD DVD, skipping out on any burning capabilities whatsoever? I'd imagine this would impart a significant cost savings on the drive, compared to what's out now...and I really have no desire to burn to expensive formats (for the time being at least).[/quote]
LG announced a read-only Blu-Ray/HD DVD drive with DVD+/-R burning for $300, I believe. It's $400 if you also want Blu-Ray burning. I don't remember when they're coming out, though I believe it's by the end of the year.

BTW, the new Fox titles won't work on a PC either, and we'll have to wait and see if PowerDVD gets an update with the new keys (which is debatable, since they were the source of the AACS exploit).

[quote name='Qslugs']People are eagerly awaiting this movie on Blu-ray? I think someone drank the blu kool aid. Silver surfer I mean.[/QUOTE]

Silver Surfer did sell a lot of copies. Its #1 on Amazon right now for Blu-ray movies and my Best Buy felt confident enough to order 15 of them. Can't wait until Tuesday to see what new Fox titles won't play on what machines.

[quote name='dallow']LG computer drive is tempting for BR storage.[/QUOTE]

Does anyone really need that much storage...really?

I have a 320GB external HDD just for random stuff. ISOs, games, movies etc. but I can easily delete and add to it within minutes. Why would any need multiple 50GB Blu-ray discs (or 30GB HD DVD for that matter) for storage that can only be written to once?

I don't know why there's a big debate about it.

I mean, in all honesty, being gamers we have both formats at an affordable price. Owning a 360 isn't by any means considered "optional" this generation, and the HD-DVD add on has been seen as low as $90 (FYE Clearance or TRU B1G1 Accessory free).

The PS3 has a 40gb BR equipped $400 model on the way, along with the 20gb versions on Ebay/etc and 60gb models being discontinued.

The way I look at it - I have a PS3 and a 360. As soon as I get an HD DVD add on, it's only a question of which version of which movie is better or which is exclusive. Beyond that, it's no more a "versus" battle for me as it is between choosing water or juice to drink. Why do I care when I can have both?

I'm glad there's two formats, if anything because it means lower prices. If there was only one HD media format, boy oh boy would the prices be inflated.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Does anyone really need that much storage...really?

I have a 320GB external HDD just for random stuff. ISOs, games, movies etc. but I can easily delete and add to it within minutes. Why would any need multiple 50GB Blu-ray discs (or 30GB HD DVD for that matter) for storage that can only be written to once?[/quote]Yes. Yes, there are people who like a lot of storage. Why else would they make 2TB network stations.

I have two 500GB external drives, and a 320GB drive in the computer. (also misc smaller external drives)
I'm tired of plugging in drives and storing them. I don't want more.
I'd much rather have a book full of discs.

[quote name='dallow']Yes. Yes, there are people who like a lot of storage. Why else would they make 2TB network stations.

I have two 500GB external drives, and a 320GB drive in the computer. (also misc smaller external drives)
I'm tired of plugging in drives and storing them. I don't want more.
I'd much rather have a book full of discs.[/QUOTE]

If you're not pirating games or movies...what do you use at that storage for?

I can't imagine the average person would need anything more then a couple DVDs worth of stuff, or a small 120GB external drive.

[quote name='mykevermin']What? You want 4Meg SIMM? You're crazy! The space shuttle only uses 2Megs![/quote]:( But I gots to get me some Wolfenstein 3D action running! :(

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=911235

So I was searching AVS forum and found this thread, Which gizmo had mentioned earlier, basically, this guy with a professionaly calibrated Samsung 4066 finds Macroblocking on his Troy Blu-ray, and coincendently they are only at the parts where the Bitrate drops to 7.9mbps (for reference, I think Pirates is variable from 30-40). Now is this macroblocking because of a very poor transfers on Warner's Part? Or the really low bitrates that must be used on HD-DVd to fit 30gb? We may never know unless Warner releases a new version with a different encode, but interesting none-the-less and I tend to favor the latter because Warner is usually pretty good on their transfers. Either way, not that big of deal as most people wouldn't notice, but it's still there.

Anyone know what the deal with Princess Bride blu-ray is? NetFlix says I can rent it, but no one has it as a release yet? I'm confused.

And Geko, Has Universal announced any other movies coming out soon? Just wondering because it seems like for a while they were releasing movie after movie and now it seems they are quiet, except for Battlestar Galatica and The Office.

Universal titles I know of between now and Christmas-ish:

Evan Almighty Oct. 9
Carlito's Way Oct 23
Carlito's Way: Rise to Power Oct 23
Inside Man Oct 23
Seed of Chucky Oct 23
Talk to Me Oct 30
Chuck and Larry Nov 6
Pride and Prejudice Nov 13
Tremors Nov 20
Mr. Bean's Holiday Nov 27
Battlestar Galactica: Seson One Dec 4
Bourne Ultimatum Dec 11
Bourne Collection Dec 11
Balls of Fury Dec 18
Cat People Dec 26
Timecop Dec 26

So that's only 16. Granted, they're not done annoucing yet, but I wouldn't expect the number to be much over 25 by the time Dec 27 rolls around.

[quote name='GizmoGC']If you're not pirating games or movies...what do you use at that storage for?

I can't imagine the average person would need anything more then a couple DVDs worth of stuff, or a small 120GB external drive.[/quote]I honestly don't pirate games, software, music or movies.
The only movie I've ever downloaded as a Skynet HD broadcast of Howard the Duck.

Believe me, the geeks and techies on forums are always hungry for more portable storage.
My colection is largly music related, both video and audio.

Damn, Knocked Up did pretty damn good last week. How is 300 on Blu-ray still selling so many copies?

marketsharenielsen09300tv1.jpg

toptennielsenweekendingks1.jpg

Source - http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/questex/hom100707/index.php

300 is an anomaly, I think. It has staying power as the "kind of movie" you'd want to see in HD (relative to Knocked Up or other comedy/drama types). It's the same reason you'll see Transformers kick some fuckin' ass next week, and then stay relatively high for months to come, while Knocked Up won't even be in the top 10 come November.

As for other "action-y" movies that appear and drop off the top 10, while 300 doesn't, I'd argue that 300 (and Transformers as well) are such blockbusters with wide appeal that more people are interested in them than, say, Underworld (you can also include a catalog/new release element in there as well).

I expect to see Spiderman do the same thing (more likely the standalone SM3, rather than the BR box set) that 300 and Transformers have done/will do.

EDIT: I wonder what the actual sales numbers for the week were, since last week's were so dismal based on geko's estimates. One thing is for sure: that YTD and SI ratios are stable, baby. STABLE.

EDIT2..."The Condemned" is still up there? Well, I'll be. There really is no accounting for taste, is there?

[quote name='mykevermin']300 is an anomaly, I think. It has staying power as the "kind of movie" you'd want to see in HD (relative to Knocked Up or other comedy/drama types). It's the same reason you'll see Transformers kick some fuckin' ass next week, and then stay relatively high for months to come, while Knocked Up won't even be in the top 10 come November.

As for other "action-y" movies that appear and drop off the top 10, while 300 doesn't, I'd argue that 300 (and Transformers as well) are such blockbusters with wide appeal that more people are interested in them than, say, Underworld (you can also include a catalog/new release element in there as well).

I expect to see Spiderman do the same thing (more likely the standalone SM3, rather than the BR box set) that 300 and Transformers have done/will do.

EDIT: I wonder what the actual sales numbers for the week were, since last week's were so dismal based on geko's estimates. One thing is for sure: that YTD and SI ratios are stable, baby. STABLE.

EDIT2..."The Condemned" is still up there? Well, I'll be. There really is no accounting for taste, is there?[/QUOTE]

I agree. Transformers will destroy anything that comes out that week on either format...which looks to be 'The Reaping', 'House on Haunted Hill 2' and 'Masters of Horror I and II' (BR only). I'm going to make a wild assumption that the reason HD DVDs numbers for 300 are so low is because its free right now with any A3x purchase anywhere.

Damn, I didn't even see that 'The Condemned' was still on that list. It sold something like 3k copies last week? I can't imagine any more then 600 or so were sold this week.

Wonder how many copies of Fantastic Four sold? Its going to be #1 for sure for last week.

[quote name='rodeojones903']Looks like amazon doesn't matter as much as people thought.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s...st_Buy_Sells_Most_Blu-ray,_HD_DVD_Titles/1045[/QUOTE]

Yeah, and it only goes to show more people shop at B&M stores then on-line. Its sad, people will pay $34.99 for Fantastic Four on Blu-ray + Tax while its $28 shipped free at Amazon and maybe Tax free depending where you live. Makes me sick. The ONLY time I buy a HD/BR movie at Best Buy is when I have $20+ Reward Zone certs...otherwise its Amazon or Frys (which is pretty much Amazon prices)

[quote name='guyver2077']i read that today and i really doubt its correct...

who the hell wants to pay instore prices for thse movies[/QUOTE]

You doubt NPD numbers? Wow. I bet they're all wrong all around, then, and the PS3 is outselling the Wii and 360 combined, then, if we're gonna play that game.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Yeah, and it only goes to show more people shop at B&M stores then on-line. Its sad, people will pay $34.99 for Fantastic Four on Blu-ray + Tax while its $28 shipped free at Amazon and maybe Tax free depending where you live. Makes me sick. The ONLY time I buy a HD/BR movie at Best Buy is when I have $20+ Reward Zone certs...otherwise its Amazon or Frys (which is pretty much Amazon prices)[/QUOTE]

Tell me about it. I don't know that I own a single B&M bought BR movie (and I'm up to 26 now). Amazon's prices, plus that lovely 10% discount, make any other option foolish by comparison. Hell, even without the 10% discount it's a bad idea.

i doubted it because it was titled as a rumor..

but yea theres always idiots out there that buy at outrageous prices.. or maybe they are rich and dont care

Out of my 72 blu ray movies I probably bought 50 of them at Best Buy, but that is only because of the employee discount. That pulls the price below amazon.

[quote name='mykevermin']:shock:

JESUS![/QUOTE]

I'm closing in on 60 HD DVD and 30 Blu-ray in the new few days.

Someone on AVS who is a huge Pro Blu-ray fan has 230+ titles.....and only has Blu-ray. Right now, with only a bit more then 300 titles out, can anyone have so many? Thats A LOT of crap. Even my 90 titles between both formats could easily be trimmed if I wanted.

[quote name='geko29']Universal titles I know of between now and Christmas-ish:

Evan Almighty Oct. 9
Carlito's Way Oct 23
Carlito's Way: Rise to Power Oct 23
Inside Man Oct 23
Seed of Chucky Oct 23
Talk to Me Oct 30
Chuck and Larry Nov 6
Pride and Prejudice Nov 13
Tremors Nov 20
Mr. Bean's Holiday Nov 27
Battlestar Galactica: Seson One Dec 4
Bourne Ultimatum Dec 11
Bourne Collection Dec 11
Balls of Fury Dec 18
Cat People Dec 26
Timecop Dec 26

So that's only 16. Granted, they're not done annoucing yet, but I wouldn't expect the number to be much over 25 by the time Dec 27 rolls around.[/quote]
Hmmm, besides Bourne Ultimatum none of those are really big hitters....

Out of my 7 movies, 2 I bought at BB and Fry's for 13.99, Apacalypto was a gift, bought from best buy, Casino Royale I bought the day it came out at Target, TMNT from Warner, 300 from Target, and Hellboy from Amazon. I guess I am guilty as well. :(

BTW, is it too much to ask of Buena Vista to release The Rock, Con-air and Air Force One here in the states? Or MGM to release Princess Bride or Fox to release Boondock Saints? SO many movies I would buy....

BR Boondock Saints? :drool:

I don't think it would sell well, though. A semi-cult straight-to-VHS release that's been, at most, $10 on DVD for years now probably wouldn't do very well at $20-30.

Marv Levy, spokesperson for Steven Spielberg, was kind enough to speak with us today regarding the recent surprise announcement from Universal Home Video Japan that Jaws, E.T., Jurassic Park and Back to the Future would be released on HD DVD.

According to Mr. Levy, "There are no plans to release these titles on HD DVD. It was a mistake and someone inadvertently put those titles into a presentation"

Mr. Levy also mentioned that Universal will be making a public statement regarding this mistake in the coming days.

Blu-ray.com would like to thank Mr. Levy for again speaking with us regarding Mr. Speilberg's films and their future in the world of high definition media.

I'll wait for this press release, as it is Blu-Ray.com reporting this mistake, but let's be real. There's a reason that Steven Spielberg's movies were excluded from the Paramount/Dreamworks sell-out, and there's a reason that Close Encounters is BR-exclusive. At this point, all signs point to "sorry to get your hopes up, HD DVD folks...enjoy Shrek the Third and Evan Almighty!"

:lol:

[quote name='mykevermin']I'll wait for this press release, as it is Blu-Ray.com reporting this mistake, but let's be real. There's a reason that Steven Spielberg's movies were excluded from the Paramount/Dreamworks sell-out, and there's a reason that Close Encounters is BR-exclusive. At this point, all signs point to "sorry to get your hopes up, HD DVD folks...enjoy Shrek the Third and Evan Almighty!"

:lol:[/QUOTE]

IIRC, they are only not releasing them due to 'respect' for Spielberg. He does not own his movies. If Paramount owns them, they have ever right to release them, and they should.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back