Looting in New Orleans

if all those stores are flooded wouldnt those TVS and DVD players be damaged. Nothing more fun then plugging in a tv thats been sitting in water for a few days.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I think everyone needs to hear Chris Rock's "N-word vs. Black People" comedy skit. He says a lot things pertinent to this topic.[/QUOTE]

i agree with you, but you're missing the point. this thread could have started out by the guy saying:

"man, what those looters are doing is messed up."

if he would have said that, everything would have been fine since that statement is not controversial.

instead, he says something along the lines of:

"man, what those black looters are doing is messed up. their black and they're looting. black, black, black. black people loot, that's just their 'type'."

i mean, c'mon, that just isn't cool

[quote name='hatim813']i think if the person is legitamately "looting" grocery stores for food for survival, then they should just let them be. The store owners should know about the risks and such before hand anyways. IMO, the idea of being shot on the spot for taking food that u need, is out of the question. But i am against the ppl that are stealing tvs, dvds, and other useless devices in a time like this. What the hell are they gonna use it for anyways. If anything, wouldnt it be more of a burden?...those looters should be arrested or something, but still, being shot on the spot is a little too harsh.[/QUOTE]

Being shot on the spot won't help. It totally defeats the idea that things aren't as important as people. However, some of these clowns are shooting at police and others. They should be dealt with by any means necessary IMO. If possible the news crews should try take take as much video of the Nike looters to prosecute them at a later time when evacuation and rescue is not the main priority.

[quote name='slidecage']if all those stores are flooded wouldnt those TVS and DVD players be damaged. Nothing more fun then plugging in a tv thats been sitting in water for a few days.[/QUOTE]

ahh yes, forgot about that, that just makes them look even more retarded.

[quote name='kev']The thing about it is that most of the people left in the city are the poor who had nowhere else to go. That's why you're seeing them more than anybody else. Its ridiculous that we have this PC nonsense of people getting mad when its pointed out that most of the looters are black. OF COURSE they are, they are the vast majority of the people in the city. You can't claim racism when something is a fact.
[/QUOTE]

Exactly, but here is the problem, if a black guy commits a crime...it is okay to say that a black man did something. If a black guy commits a crime it is racist to say, "yeah, a black guy did that, you know the "type."" The word type is the problem, what type? There is an implication in the original post that black people are a type that would loot a store, not that certain black people are looting stores in New Orleans.

[quote name='munch']i agree with you, but you're missing the point. this thread could have started out by the guy saying:

"man, what those looters are doing is messed up."

if he would have said that, everything would have been fine since that statement is not controversial.

instead, he says something along the lines of:

"man, what those black looters are doing is messed up. their black and they're looting. black, black, black. black people loot, that's just their 'type'."

i mean, c'mon, that just isn't cool[/QUOTE]

I love how some people get all that from

"It kind of pisses me seeing looters in New Orleans in the aftermath of Katrina........

and most of them are of the same "type" of person"

Oh wait, I said "some people"...... oh no, that was a racist comment......

you people are just being stupid now......... nowhere in my original comment did I mention race, color, sexual preference, or anything like that.......

If any one of us were there and started to panic because you had no clue if help was coming soon.....we ALL would loot for food/water. BUT WHAT THE fuck YOU GONNA DO WITH A TV IN A FLOOD. Thats what gets me......CNN showed 3 guys who had new shoes in there hands and had none on there feet. That kinda stuff should just be let go.

[quote name='bobo2k4']I understand looting food and water. Looting footlocker and taking dvd players is just plain evil.[/QUOTE]

I agree.
On CNN, they stated that looters stole all the guns from the New Orlean
Wal-mart. Those bastards (except for those taking food) deserve to die (AKA rot in hell)

I can't believe Duo Max was one of the few that noticed that the article that was posted by 2 separate news organizations and thus have 2 different editors/writers who put the content up on their respective sites. Even then, how can anyone claim it's racism since you don't know who posted the article in the first place? What if the person who posted the article with the black guy was a black guy himself? I doubt anyone would make the same call. Use your brain cells ppl. It's a bit reactionary to accept what you read on the news at face value. Take the extra step and see the deeper meaning behind an article instead of making instant judgment calls.

[quote name='jaykrue']I can't believe Duo Max was one of the few that noticed that the article that was posted by 2 separate news organizations and thus have 2 different editors/writers who put the content up on their respective sites. Even then, how can anyone claim it's racism since you don't know who posted the article in the first place? What if the person who posted the article with the black guy was a black guy himself? I doubt anyone would make the same call. Use your brain cells ppl. It's a bit reactionary to accept what you read on the news at face value. Take the extra step and see the deeper meaning behind an article instead of making instant judgment calls.[/QUOTE]

first, the OP who we are referring too never posted an article. therefore, we are not reacting to news, we are reacting one guys statement. second, we are looking into the deeper meaning of what the OP said by his statement of that "type" of people.

some people cant help to look for a racism fight.......you either are a racist or a liar in some peoples eyes......uh oh I said some peoples......I must be a racist!

[quote name='jaykrue']I can't believe Duo Max was one of the few that noticed that the article that was posted by 2 separate news organizations and thus have 2 different editors/writers who put the content up on their respective sites. Even then, how can anyone claim it's racism since you don't know who posted the article in the first place? What if the person who posted the article with the black guy was a black guy himself? I doubt anyone would make the same call. Use your brain cells ppl. It's a bit reactionary to accept what you read on the news at face value. Take the extra step and see the deeper meaning behind an article instead of making instant judgment calls.[/QUOTE]

I pretty much agree with all of that.

oooo, you said "some peoples"....... watch out dude, everyone is gonna come down on you for being a racist......... oh man, I said "dude"...... everyone's gonna come down on me again for being a racists....... oh man, I said "everyone".....

[quote name='munch']first, the OP who we are referring too never posted an article. therefore, we are not reacting to news, we are reacting one guys statement. second, we are looking into the deeper meaning of what the OP said by his statement of that "type" of people.[/QUOTE]

Look at my post again. Was I referring to the OP's post? I KNOW he didn't post an article. If you read my post again, I was adding my 2 cents on Duo Max's post which I agreed with in correlation to the topic of this thread. As for your 2nd assertion, there's no deep meaning to the word 'type'. It's a vague word that can refer to anything. There's no classification anywhere that says the word type is specifically supposed to have any racial undertone. There isn't. You don't know what the OP meant so you can't take it as such. For anyone other the OP to claim he was talking about specifically black ppl needs to look at themselves for their own latent prejudices. The only fault I find with the OP's initial post is using that word since it's a vague term. Had he said 'those black types' then you have a much clearer issue. I'm not extrapolating from the OP's posts so don't do so to mine.

[quote name='jaykrue']Look at my post again. Was I referring to the OP's post? I KNOW he didn't post an article. If you read my post again, I was adding my 2 cents on Duo Max's post which I agreed with in correlation to the topic of this thread. As for your 2nd assertion, there's no deep meaning to the word 'type'. It's a vague word that can refer to anything. There's no classification anywhere that says the word type is specifically supposed to have any racial undertone. There isn't. You don't know what the OP meant so you can't take it as such. For anyone other the OP to claim he was talking about specifically black ppl needs to look at themselves for their own latent prejudices. The only fault I find with the OP's initial post is using that word since it's a vague term. Had he said 'those black types' then you have a much clearer issue. I'm not extrapolating from the OP's posts so don't do so to mine.[/QUOTE]

well than we both agree that the OP should not have used that word, which is essentially what i am arguing. i think he meant race, you don't, and that's fine. but still, his argument that looting is bad, which i agree with, should have been the entire argument. not looting is bad, that "type" of people does it.

[quote name='jaykrue']Look at my post again. Was I referring to the OP's post? I KNOW he didn't post an article. If you read my post again, I was adding my 2 cents on Duo Max's post which I agreed with in correlation to the topic of this thread. As for your 2nd assertion, there's no deep meaning to the word 'type'. It's a vague word that can refer to anything. There's no classification anywhere that says the word type is specifically supposed to have any racial undertone. There isn't. You don't know what the OP meant so you can't take it as such. For anyone other the OP to claim he was talking about specifically black ppl needs to look at themselves for their own latent prejudices. The only fault I find with the OP's initial post is using that word since it's a vague term. Had he said 'those black types' then you have a much clearer issue. I'm not extrapolating from the OP's posts so don't do so to mine.[/QUOTE]
What other type could he be talking about? Poor people? Maybe he should tell us what type he ment instead of just being a little bitch and implying it.

[quote name='munch']well than we both agree that the OP should not have used that word, which is essentially what i am arguing. i think he meant race, you don't, and that's fine. but still, his argument that looting is bad, which i agree with, should have been the entire argument. not looting is bad, that "type" of people does it.[/QUOTE]

See, that's why this is blown all out of proportion. You've already extrapolated what he meant: "i think he meant race..." I didn't bother to do so. Instead of making assumptions (i.e. I think he meant this, I think he meant that), it's a far easier idea just to ask him what he means by the word 'type'. Now, had he said type = black ppl, then you can flame him all you want, you won't hear a peep outta me. But because he wasn't being clear, I would've given him the benefit of the doubt and asked him to clarify his statement which he did right after your post.

[quote name='DT778']What other type could he be talking about? Poor people? Maybe he should tell us what type he ment instead of just being a little bitch and implying it.[/QUOTE]

Again, someone is making assumptions. And if you'd see his 2nd post, you'd get:

[quote name='bostonfrontier']Its not meant to be about race man.......... "type" = low class individuals who should be shot because they're taking advantage of a desparate situation.[/QUOTE]

So please everyone, stop assuming because you know what they say about assume - it just makes an 'ass' out of 'u' and 'me'.

that's fine, but i don't buy it. if you look further down in his posts he makes a comment about how they all look the same. could he be talking about clothing? sure, but i think he was referring to how they are all black. so, what i am saying is i don't believe him when he says it's about class, and it think he's saying it's about race.

[quote name='shieryda']If the po-po started shooting looters, it would immediately turn into another LA riot scene...[/QUOTE]

I doubt it. The city is so unorganized, there aren't enough people left to riot, and they couldn't do much. The city is fucked as it is.

[quote name='Apossum']I think most of them are looting for food and necessities at this point. Where the hell are they going to put a tv?[/QUOTE]

I agree. I can see some looting for stuff to sale. but I think in most of it is people looking for food.

First off I'm certain that most people could not conceptualize the immensity of the devastation left in the wake of katrina. Evacuees and non evacuees have no homes left to go to, no electricity to power the ATM's to get whatever funds they may have in the bank out, they have no jobs to go to and the near future for them looks mighty grim. their world is now one of total uncertainty. Hundreds of thousands of people now have to depend on the US government to take care of them untill the region returns to some kind of normalcy and who knows how long that could take. If I was in a situation where I did not know where my next meal, shower, paycheck or place to lay my head was coming from I would loot whatever I could and get as far away from the whole disaster area hawking my illicit goods along the way just to survive. Seriously, I wonder how many on these boards who were broke, homeless and totally ravaged by a natural disaster, with no way of knowing where your next meal or cup of clean drinking water is coming from opt for the hope that government takes care of them instead of looting some goods and hitting the highway. In a situation like that I'm thinking you're forced to be primal, It's everyman for himself and only the strong will survive. I'm not saying it's right to loot but i'm thinking if I were in that position I'd be bashing in the windows of the closest jewelry store and bashing any heads that got in my way. Oh and BTW I'm a middle class cracka

From all the reports and footage, this isn't even simple looting anymore. It goes way past that when people open fire on police stations with assault rifles, have people being carjacked in broad daylight and cops shot in the face. I don't care about the color of whose doing it, white, black, brown, lime fucking green, something needs to be done before it becomes the wild wild west on water. They've even had to pull ALL the police off rescue missions to deal with this. People will essentially die so some people can steal some stuff and cause chaos.

I would be looting Rubbers......All the God Dam Trojans I could find....have you seen that water.....its nasty shit......I would rubber up my Penis like its never been rubbered before.

[quote name='munch']that's fine, but i don't buy it. if you look further down in his posts he makes a comment about how they all look the same. could he be talking about clothing? sure, but i think he was referring to how they are all black. so, what i am saying is i don't believe him when he says it's about class, and it think he's saying it's about race.[/QUOTE]

Ok, I looked through the whole thread and the one reference to all looking the same is looters. Again, it's an assumption that looters = black and he hasn't explicitly said so. Once again, don't assume. Ask bostonfrontier specifically what he means and stop inferring. A lot of flaming results from miscommunication and this is a prime example. If he does explicit say type = looters = black, then you won't hear anymore from me. I'll join you in lynching in fact. Otherwise, I still don't think he said anything bad.

Everybody who's arguing about racism needs to get the sand out of their vagina. The OP has given his reasoning, and anybody who is pursuing this farther is just being a little bitch; stop taking political correctness to a level it doesn't need to go to. Calm down.

on another note I have heard that people are stealing guns and forming gangs and looting in those gangs. This is what the news reported so u have to take it with a grain of salt.

[quote name='munch']that's fine, but i don't buy it. if you look further down in his posts he makes a comment about how they all look the same. could he be talking about clothing? sure, but i think he was referring to how they are all black. so, what i am saying is i don't believe him when he says it's about class, and it think he's saying it's about race.[/QUOTE]

I think I explained already in one of my first posts

"Its not meant to be about race man.......... "type" = low class individuals who should be shot because they're taking advantage of a desparate situation."

I think the people who started to say I was racist just like contoversy.......... don't assume or think that you know what someone is thinking, it just makes you look stupid

[quote name='jaykrue']Ok, I looked through the whole thread and the one reference to all looking the same is looters. Again, it's an assumption that looters = black and he hasn't explicitly said so. Once again, don't assume. Ask bostonfrontier specifically what he means and stop inferring. A lot of flaming results from miscommunication and this is a prime example. If he does explicit say type = looters = black, then you won't hear anymore from me. I'll join you in lynching in fact. Otherwise, I still don't think he said anything bad.[/QUOTE]

Thank You

i took it the same way and feel that it was quite obvious what he meant in his OP when he typed and quoted "type"

[quote name='The Successful Dropout']i took it the same way and feel that it was quite obvious what he meant in his OP when he typed and quoted "type"[/QUOTE]

i'd have to agree.

there's too many quotes that just add up.

he told javeryh to "mow a lawn." at first, i was wondering wtf he was talking about. then somebody noted javeryh's sig (miguel sanchez) and things started to fall in place. in another thread, he wrote "black women, what's the big deal?" i dunno if it was a joke or not....

you put it together with the two vague comments in this thread and imho he is either a racist or a young and ignorant kid.

if you're a racist kid, come out and admit it you coward (be proud like danny-o, lol)! if you're young and ignorant (most likely), hopefully you'll learn to be more mature and empathetic with your fellow human beings.

[quote name='munch']i don't think this thread is going to end well. rascism, whether it is in your face or subliminal, is not cool.[/QUOTE]
I think he meant poor white trash and ghetto dwellers.

Two key demographcs that contribute nothing to society but are quick to take all they can get.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']From all the reports and footage, this isn't even simple looting anymore. It goes way past that when people open fire on police stations with assault rifles, have people being carjacked in broad daylight and cops shot in the face. I don't care about the color of whose doing it, white, black, brown, lime fucking green, something needs to be done before it becomes the wild wild west on water. They've even had to pull ALL the police off rescue missions to deal with this. People will essentially die so some people can steal some stuff and cause chaos.[/QUOTE]

You know, in situations like this, the National Guard would be on hand at the earliest possible moment (as always with domestic natural disasters). But they're busy right now overseas...

They're currently pulling active duty personnel (military) and civil engineers from bases in the region to assist with the situation in gulf as we speak.

I totally agree with a few of the previous posts: I would definately raid a Walmart for canned meat and emergency supplies if I had to feed a family. Many retailers have a total loss on their establishments (well, the corporate ones for the most part) and will get some compensation on their losses. Yes, looting for jewelry and other useless goods and putting others in danger in the process is extremely wrong; but law and order will not thrive without authority of some sort. How can one police force hold back an entire city of looting? It can't be done.

I think it's hilarious that people are actually trying to loot widescreen TVs and such. Despite being in the middle of this apocolyptic situation with devastation all around them and the prospect of being trapped in the city for 3 to 6 months if they don't evacuate, they can't seem to comprehend that there is no way they will be able to use or sell these things.

[quote name='Skylander7']You know, in situations like this, the National Guard would be on hand at the earliest possible moment (as always with domestic natural disasters). But they're busy right now overseas...

They're currently pulling active duty personnel (military) and civil engineers from bases in the region to assist with the situation in gulf as we speak.

I totally agree with a few of the previous posts: I would definately raid a Walmart for canned meat and emergency supplies if I had to feed a family. Many retailers have a total loss on their establishments (well, the corporate ones for the most part) and will get some compensation on their losses. Yes, looting for jewelry and other useless goods and putting others in danger in the process is extremely wrong; but law and order will not thrive without authority of some sort. How can one police force hold back an entire city of looting? It can't be done.[/QUOTE]

I forgot some walmarts sold food. If I went into a walmart for food I'd probably grab other things, basically because someone else is gonna take it, and it's probably unsellable anyway. I wouldn't be the one breaking open display cases, but if I'm going by the gamecube section, I think I'd probably take some stuff, especially considering the state of total confusion and the possible loss of everything I had. The whole circumstances itself make it much more likely for people to steal, even those who normally wouldn't even if the oppurtunity presented itself. Especially considering someone else is probably gonna take it anyway.

Going out specifically to loot goods, or being violent in the process, is a totally different thing though.

[quote name='alonzomourning23']If I went into a walmart for food I'd probably grab other things, basically because someone else is gonna take it, and it's probably unsellable anyway. I wouldn't be the one breaking open display cases, but if I'm going by the gamecube section, I think I'd probably take some stuff, especially considering the state of total confusion and the possible loss of everything I had. The whole circumstances itself make it much more likely for people to steal, even those who normally wouldn't even if the oppurtunity presented itself. Especially considering someone else is probably gonna take it anyway.

Going out specifically to loot goods, or being violent in the process, is a totally different thing though.[/QUOTE]
When one gains complete power OR when the threat of punishment is stripped away, one's true identity and personality are revealed.

Newly homeless people are looting Wal-Marts, multi-million (billion?) corporations. They'll get it all back in insurance, what the fuck is wrong with that? They should be shot for that? You're a douche.

[quote name='smalien1']Newly homeless people are looting Wal-Marts, multi-million (billion?) corporations. They'll get it all back in insurance, what the fuck is wrong with that? They should be shot for that? You're a douche.[/QUOTE]

So with your logic, it is OK for a homeless man in your town (who is indeed less fortunate than you ) to rob your car and house since those things are covered by insurance.

Awesome
Just me your address please.

[quote name='Quackzilla']I think he meant poor white trash and ghetto dwellers.

Two key demographcs that contribute nothing to society but are quick to take all they can get.[/QUOTE]

damn, that's cold

[quote name='wbc1228']So with your logic, it is OK for a homeless man in your town (who is indeed less fortunate than you ) to rob your car and house since those things are covered by insurance.

Awesome
Just me your address please.[/QUOTE]

I'm not really agreeing with the person you quoted, but these companies are already going to have massive insurance claims, and it is only money to them, no sentimental or personal loss or grief will take place due to people stealing their goods.

[quote name='smalien1']Newly homeless people are looting Wal-Marts, multi-million (billion?) corporations. They'll get it all back in insurance, what the fuck is wrong with that? They should be shot for that? You're a douche.[/QUOTE]

that makes no sense at all....... so its ok to kill someone as long as they have life insurance cause their families will get the insurance money??DAMF

bread's done
Back