Lost Odyssey - Gen. Discussion & Info

Looks like the typical japanese rpg aka crap. I don't understand why every single japanese rpg looks exactly the same. Do people actually like that style?

And random encounters are the worst gaming element ever. I prefer loading screens or a good old fashioned eye gouging to random encounters. Once again, who actually enjoys random encounters?

And I was laughing out loud at the theme. Another stereotypical japanese theme. I actually laughed out loud when ugly started singing. Very meh.

The sad part is is that I'm not a troll. At one point I was looking forward to this game but now I know to steer clear.

[quote name='slavefive']Yeah, i was really suprised how good it is. I like to get the OST's for the games that I'm into (I just got Mass Effect, too). But, I have to agree, this one is really special. It's a perfect combination of old school final fantasy and full orchestra composition.[/quote]
And pizza is a perfect combination of sauce cheese and bread and sauce and bread with cheese on top. See, it can't be a combination if there is absolutely no difference. The soundtrack is extremely mediocre.

[quote name='y2kenjination']Ahhh...thread crapping. Perhaps I should walk into threads about western RPG's, and talk about how much I hate them.[/quote]

Sorry. In the future I'll try to not share my opinion or disappointment, especially via outlets whose purpose is to do so.

[quote name='Titan124']Sorry. In the future I'll try to not share my opinion or disappointment, especially via outlets whose purpose is to do so.[/QUOTE]I don't care if you share your opinions; it was just the manner in which you did it. Don't expect to be taken seriously when you call jRPG's "crap", and talk about how you don't understand why we like it. It's all subjective, so learn how to respect others' tastes...even if it might be "crap" to you.

Edit: In response to your other post, what exactly is a "stereotypical Japanese theme"? Please elaborate.

Opinions are just that, opinions. I love the OST and am optimistic for the game. Nuff said. I'm fine with people voicing different opinions, as long as they aren't getting to negative. Who needs that crap?

[quote name='Titan124']The sad part is is that I'm not a troll. At one point I was looking forward to this game but now I know to steer clear.[/QUOTE]
At one point you were looking forward to a game in a genre you hate? Sensical.

From the videos I've seen, the loading times aren't bad. Then again, I was patient enough to deal with Tales of the Abyss. :lol:

I think it looks good. Of course, you have to factor in that I already have pretty much every damn 360 game out there and I'm in need of a turn-based rpg. So...

[quote name='slavefive']IGN's review is supposed to be up tomorrow. Should be interesting.[/QUOTE]
Can we place bets? I'm betting 7.6.

Edit: IGN AU gave it an 8.0.

The 8.0 isn't too bad though. Seems the main complaint was that it wasn't particularly innovative, but that's something I can live with if it's still an interesting adventure in terms of the places you go and all that. Seems like overall, it's a really enjoyable game, though.

According to Kotaku they did fix up the technical stuff for the US version. Which is nice.

Though I'm expecting some reviewers to pull a Pursuit Force, and still make reference to technical problems, implying they never played the game in the first place

[quote name='pete5883']According to Kotaku they did fix up the technical stuff for the US version. Which is nice.
[/QUOTE]

Thank God. That was my number one concern... seems I have nothing keeping me from enjoying this game when it comes out.

I'm rather torn on this one.

I may do what I'm currently doing for Blue Dragon and just wait for it to drop to $20 or less.

They worked out technical issues?

Here's hoping it's to load times. If they reduce those a bit, I will be a VERY happy camper.

[quote name='Moxio']They worked out technical issues?

Here's hoping it's to load times. If they reduce those a bit, I will be a VERY happy camper.[/QUOTE]
No kidding. I agree that they do a decent job of "masking" the load times, but after a thousand random battles, the delay will be painfully obvious.

Suprised by the IGN review I have not played any 360 RPGs unless you count Oblivion. I really would like for this to be a good game.

[quote name='Hybrid5006']Looks good, although the hours of cinema will remind me of Xenosaga for PS2.....[/quote]

You have no idea how much I hope this can hold up to the xenosaga comparison.

My interest for this game peak as well after watching Gametrailers review. It seem like a solid game. I wonder can you skip those animation sequences during those timing sessions? That might bug me in long haul, I hate unnecessary animation sequences. I shut them off for games like fire emblem or advance wars. If they have reduce animation, I hope it's something similar to squalls gunblade or mario rpg.

From Gamespy:
hideous load times; wide variety of technical issues;
Wow, I didn't expect to be proved so right, so quickly. Congratulations Gamespy, you reviewed (or pretended to review) the import!

[quote name='pete5883']From Gamespy:

Wow, I didn't expect to be proved so right, so quickly. Congratulations Gamespy, you reviewed (or pretended to review) the import![/quote]

That's Gamespy for you. I wonder if anybody is actually willing to give them a review copy to begin with.

[quote name='InuFaye']It looks good, but I just have to wait.

I still have so many games to get to.[/QUOTE]

Same here.

As much as I want this, I just don't have the time right now. Busy with school and still have to crack open Mass Effect. Sorry, LO, you'll have to wait for a few months. :cry:

[quote name='sleepy180']Looks like someone beat me to it.^^^

Gametrailers review.

Story - 9.6
Design - 8.0
Gameplay - 8.3
Presentation - 9.5

Overall - 8.8

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/30354.html

Good review. I seriously cant wait for this game. Also, is there a reason we cant embed gametrailers videos like we can youtube ones?[/quote]

8.8 overall is good but the areas i would care about most are rated the lowest. I think I'll wait this out awhile and see how friends like it.

[quote name='Chacrana']The 8.0 isn't too bad though. Seems the main complaint was that it wasn't particularly innovative[/quote]Why is it that the only RPG that DOESN'T get tagged with that "not particularly innovative" label is the most cliched, stereotypical one of them all, Final Fantasy?

The Gametrailers review has me interested, but I'm not 100% sold on it yet.

At least it looks like it's better than Blue Dragon :p

[quote name='blueweltall']How many disc is this game? Is it really four?[/quote]

That's what the gametrailers review says

I might use some yourfree360 points to get this, but I'm not sure if I can invest myself into an RPG anymore. The last one I played to the finish was Star Ocean for PS2. I did get fairly far in FFX/X-2 and all my portable FF games I'll never get around to finish.

well, great... looks like i am in on this one. when i first looked into this game, it looked a bit lackluster...

after the review from gametrailers, i might have to take some vacation time from work and lock myself in my room for a bit to play this one out.

look like fun.

According to a discussion over on IGN, this game apparently has enemy level scaling per 1up... a major disappointment if true, IMO. Anyone else heard this?

[quote name='wampa8jedi']According to a discussion over on IGN, this game apparently has enemy level scaling per 1up... a major disappointment if true, IMO. Anyone else heard this?[/QUOTE]

From what I've heard from people with the import, the game's enemies don't level TO YOU, you just get experience based on how strong you are compared to your enemy. So after a while, it'll take so many small battles to just level up once that grinding is not worth it. Since you need a constant 100 exp points to level up, once you hit a certain strength level in that area, it'll take 100 battles to level up once.

[quote name='NidoGod']From what I've heard from people with the import, the game's enemies don't level TO YOU, you just get experience based on how strong you are compared to your enemy. So after a while, it'll take so many small battles to just level up once that grinding is not worth it. Since you need a constant 100 exp points to level up, once you hit a certain strength level in that area, it'll take 100 battles to level up once.[/quote]

that sounds similar to FF8, which i think was a constant 1000 to level up.

Has it been said how much level grinding this game will have? That's one thing that may kill it for me since battles don't seem to go by very quickly from what I've seen.

The leveling system seems to be a bit different than the usual system. I've heard that it's not necessary to do a lot of grinding because there is a level cap system. Meaning you can only get to a certain level before it stops...that is until you go on to the next section of the game. My understanding is that the monsters level up accordingly, as well. So, there aren't easy/cheap ways to level up super high. But, i've heard multiple times that you don't HAVE to level grind to make it through.

bread's done
Back