Lost Odyssey - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='homeland']ya..I actually just beat mass effect.. great game! Beat the griffen, got my characters up to 15 and he was pretty easy. why does every jrpg main character have to be so feminine and emo?[/quote]

Its all about Jansen.

[quote name='mike.m']Its all about Jansen.[/quote]

Ugh. I just muted the game whenever that fucktard talked. I hated every moment that I had to play as him and getting the skills achievement for his dumbass didn't help either.

But then again, that's just me.

[quote name='Rig']Truth.

Lunar: Dragon Song should never be played.[/QUOTE]

That game was SOOOOO tempting to me. I mean even just the cover LOOKS like Lunar's art :whistle2:/

I'd love a well done next generation sequel. Use lush, 720p hand drawn anime sequences. Maybe do it in over the top 2D (I'd be iffy on 3D unless it was REALLY good).

And most of all, make sure it plays well and is well written :(

[quote name='knightsdwn']Ugh. I just muted the game whenever that fucktard talked. I hated every moment that I had to play as him and getting the skills achievement for his dumbass didn't help either.

But then again, that's just me.[/QUOTE]

I really liked him. He's the first "goofy" RPG character I can recall liking, and being (to me) genuinely funny.

How long is each disc and where should I be level-wise at the end of each disc?

Also, on which disc do I have the chance to get the 2 single-chance Spell buys?

I'm only 5 hours in on the first disc right now
I just got released by the Queen, whatever her name was. She reminds of Rachel from Ninja Gaiden for obvious reasons.

[quote name='Wolfpup']
I really liked him. He's the first "goofy" RPG character I can recall liking, and being (to me) genuinely funny.[/quote]

I just kind of felt that he was out of place in such a serious storyline. I understand that he was for "comic relief" I guess, but there is something about him that made me infuriated every time he chimed in.

[quote name='KingBroly']
Also, on which disc do I have the chance to get the 2 single-chance Spell buys?[/quote]

I know the spells were Shieldus and Barricadus, but I can't remember which disc... most likely the second. You should be able to purchase the two spells on the ship when you first enter Experimental Staff. I believe the shop name is "Damiroh's Grab Bag".

Well, I guess SOMEONE likes the even goofier characters in every Japanese RPG :D By those standards though I think Jansen is downright hilarious :D

I got a copy of lost odyssey, and have watched youtube and reviews about the game. My problem is I can't decide on opening and playing it or trade/sale it as still sealed, if I get an offer on it. Keep in mind, believe it or not I have never played RPG/JRPG games in about 25 years of gaming, I typically like games that are constant action, and not inventory managment heavy, I guess Baulders Gate and Neverwinter Nights about 6 years ago is the closest to RPG I have played and they have alot of hacking and slashing. Should I try it or trade/sale it sealed?

Hard to say. I love RPG's, particularly JRPG's. LO is story heavy and text heavy. If you want constant action, you'll probably be disappointed. I loved the game. Best RPG I've played in a while.

However, I didn't feel like I was always in menus when playing LO. It seemed to move pretty smooth and you weren't managing every little thing, though you could spend a little time switching the items so that more people get the various spells. This makes the game easier (and required for some achievements), but not necessary.

Tough call, bro. I loved LO. Also, it's only $40 now. Take that into consideration.

I enjoyed LO overall, it is a good JRPG. However, it does not sound like it will be the kind of game you really enjoy. I would see if you can get something for it that better suits your tastes.

I enjoyed LO, and I'm not a fan of JRPG's. The worst part of the game is in the first two hours though, a chase scene with a bad camera, a stealth area when the game isn't really built for stealth, a puzzle where the game doesn't really give you much of a clue on how to get past it, and parts of the game where it's hard to figure out where to go next.

But the battle's are fun and the story is decent. If you get past the first part it keeps getting better.

It's hard to figure out where to go next?

Didn't you see the blue flashing icon on the world map?

It's basically a next gen FF.

The worst aspect of the game is the battle system. It's slow, battles take far too long, and they're random. The gameplay gets in the way of the game/story which is a shame.

I am loving this game though, just started disc 4.

I'm not a big RPG fan though I respect the genre (one of my goals to do before I die is actually finish a JRPG), I found this game to be beautiful but the first 2 bosses just turned me off. I hear that the rest of the game is alot easier but I can't get passed the second boss.. even after reading gamefaqs.

[quote name='daschrier']
The worst aspect of the game is the battle system. It's slow, battles take far too long, and they're random. The gameplay gets in the way of the game/story which is a shame.

I am loving this game though, just started disc 4.[/QUOTE]

I thought the battle/upgrade system was one of it's strengths. I like Sakaguchi's games for that (along with other things). I'm not sure it was quite as polished as the later Final Fantasy games, but I *HATE* how complicated battle systems are in most Japanese RPGs anymore, and I HATE how they're all going real time now.

[quote name='casuchanek']I just got this game. I was wondering if either of the DLC packs are worth the cost.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure I haven't played any of them and would be interested to know as well.

On a side note it's awesome that people are still picking this up. This is one of the most underrated games I've seen in a while and I think it gets overlooked by a lot of people. To me this game should be in talk about Game of the Year, I loved it and had a blast playing it. I haven't played an RPG like this in quite some time, well worth the time and money!

near the end of disc one and this is quickly becoming my favorite RPG on Xbox 360. I give this game the edge over vesperia due to originality. Love reading the dream sequence. Also with the HDD install the battle isnt too bad.

[quote name='casuchanek']I just got this game. I was wondering if either of the DLC packs are worth the cost.[/quote]

I got them when they were on sale. Thats about the only reason I did it. There's some good items in the tower with the DLC, but that boss is insanely hard and I gave up after about 30 tries. That's why I'm sitting on 1030/1100 points.

[quote name='62t']near the end of disc one and this is quickly becoming my favorite RPG on Xbox 360. I give this game the edge over vesperia due to originality. Love reading the dream sequence. Also with the HDD install the battle isnt too bad.[/quote]

I thought I'd like Vesperia more, I'm having a tough time really getting into it. Its just too girly animeish for me. Lost Odyssey was a pretty good game, but I found myself really wanting it to end by the time I got to the 4th disc. Of course, I did do everything in the game except Treasure Trove GRRR and the last boss in the DLC

I really wish they would have included voicing/narrating for the dream sequences. After the first few i just started to skip their though as fast as possible :( Overall, good game. I'm on the second disc, should have the game back from HotShotX in the next week or two :)

The dream sequences were the first time in a modern rpg im glad they didnt have voices. just something so perfect about reading them that I couldn't imagine would work as well with voices.

I got to 980 after release, beat the game etc, and then treasure troved for 40 odd hours. Came to the conclusion that I had glitched or bugged since there was no way in hell I could have missed anything. Came back a couple months ago and started working at it again, using the trove list at gamefaqs. I had always suspected i missed something in ipsilon but I scoured it DOZENS of times. Turns out theres a tree off screen in what looks like a dead end, and lo and behold, Treasure trove.

Proudest I've been about any single of my achievements. Then I finally downloaded the DLC area, which gave me a lot more play time than I expected, since you have to have the new abilities learned pretty much and be 99, which I was only 80s. Final boss was crazy hard and basically amounted to prep and then pure luck. Was very similar to the immortal one in the backyard.

Anyway, long post long, 1100/1100 128 hours play time. My favorite JRPG this generation so far.

[quote name='FrankySox']On a side note it's awesome that people are still picking this up. This is one of the most underrated games I've seen in a while and I think it gets overlooked by a lot of people. To me this game should be in talk about Game of the Year, I loved it and had a blast playing it. I haven't played an RPG like this in quite some time, well worth the time and money![/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm sick of all awards in all media, because they're never based on reality. I mean the big new game years in the making from Sakaguchi...of course it's going to be one of the year's best :)

[quote name='62t']near the end of disc one and this is quickly becoming my favorite RPG on Xbox 360. I give this game the edge over vesperia due to originality. Love reading the dream sequence. Also with the HDD install the battle isnt too bad.[/QUOTE]

It runs fine off of disc too, though now I wish I had waited to play it, as I would have enjoyed it a lot more without the horrible blender sound.

[quote name='FrankySox']I'm not sure I haven't played any of them and would be interested to know as well.

On a side note it's awesome that people are still picking this up. This is one of the most underrated games I've seen in a while and I think it gets overlooked by a lot of people. To me this game should be in talk about Game of the Year, I loved it and had a blast playing it. I haven't played an RPG like this in quite some time, well worth the time and money![/quote]

Well on my podcast this is up for RPG of the Year with Tales, Fallout 3, Fable 2, and Valkyria Chronicles. Tales is up for Game of the Year with Fallout 3, Gears 2, MGS 4, and No More Heroes so you can probably see where I put Tales :)

I can't agrue too much for Tales over LO though. They're like 1A and 1B. Easily the best we've seen in this generation. Square has a lot to live up to that they haven't done so far.

Well in a way, this'll be great for ya. You won't have a blender ruining Uematsu's music, and it'll probably load the battles a bit faster too (not that they were super terrible off disc to begin with).

[quote name='Wolfpup']Well in a way, this'll be great for ya. You won't have a blender ruining Uematsu's music, and it'll probably load the battles a bit faster too (not that they were super terrible off disc to begin with).[/QUOTE]

Good point, the soundtrack to this game is fantastic. I bought it from play asia.

Anyone that has got the Treasure Trove achievement can you offer me some tips and tell me what the last few items you got were because I am smashing my brains out trying to get this achievement?

Items I know I got:

• I have all seeds.
  • I have all slot seeds.
  • All underwater items; I checked twice once with a map and once without a map.
  • The fourth chest hidden behind a box in the back room on the first floor of Gongora's mansion.
  • All items in Gongora's study.
  • All items in Gongora's secret cave.
  • The pot in front of the table in Lirum's house.
  • The mana bottle at the end of the Burning Cave.
  • All posters at the entrance of the monorail in Uhra after you ride up the circle elevator.
  • Both lamps in the hut in the Ipsilon Mountains.
  • I have rammed all trees in the Ipsilon Mountains.
  • I have all spells.
  • I have all royal seals.
  • I have completed all Backyard Battles with 3 stars and got all items from the item guy there.
  • I have all invisible chests.
  • I have all items from the auction house.
  • I used a guide to get all items from the Temple of Enlightenment.
  • I have got all items in the Terrace Cave, Burning Cave, Ice Canyon, Forgotten Cave, Pirate Fortress, Kelolon Village, Black Cave, and the Crimson Forest—albeit if anyone knows a tricky item in any of these places let me know and I will check again.
Right now I am going back through the Great Ancient Ruins just to be sure that I did not miss anything. Any help will be greatly appreciated, thank you.

[quote name='Razzuel']Anyone that has got the Treasure Trove achievement can you offer me some tips and tell me what the last few items you got were because I am smashing my brains out trying to get this achievement?[/quote]

This was the last one for me before the achievement:

[Burning Cave / Path of Steam]

N for a scene, carry on, ignore passage to E for now, hug W wall to discover
passage to W with CHEST (NR119) with POWER DRINK. Continue N to enter the
geyser room - be careful not to be blasted or you'll take damage.

Use this guide to find every item in the game, follow the guide from start to end if necessary, save it to word, and delete sections as you search them.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/xbox360/file/928334/51920

~HotShotX

Alright I will start going through that guide.

Thanks for the tip, but I have already got that chest.

I don't understand what I could be missing because before I started this hunt for all the treasures I was already pretty thorough. Then I went back and basically rechecked every area a couple times to make sure and I still have not got the achievement.

Does anyone know if those sidequests count. For example you talk to this girl in Numara and she has you go save an injured bird. I think I have done all those sidequests, but I was just wondering if they counted.

if they item is from a place that got destroy you can buy it from the auction. The guy in sed base is suppose to tell you what you miss

[quote name='62t']if they item is from a place that got destroy you can buy it from the auction. The guy in sed base is suppose to tell you what you miss[/quote]

I already got all the items from the auction house; the auction house is now closed.

The guy in Sed's base only gives you hints on the treasure hunt items, which I have already got. Thanks anway though.

I can now confirm that I have already gotten all the items in the Great Ancient Ruins. I don't know where else to look. I will use that guide, but that is going to be a long tedious process.

I am going through the Experimental Staff Ruins right now because I was thinking that maybe if the DLC is downloaded then the requirements for the Treasure Trove would be increased to accommodate the new items.

[quote name='Razzuel']I already got all the items from the auction house; the auction house is now closed.

The guy in Sed's base only gives you hints on the treasure hunt items, which I have already got. Thanks anway though.

I can now confirm that I have already gotten all the items in the Great Ancient Ruins. I don't know where else to look. I will use that guide, but that is going to be a long tedious process.

I am going through the Experimental Staff Ruins right now because I was thinking that maybe if the DLC is downloaded then the requirements for the Treasure Trove would be increased to accommodate the new items.[/quote]

The DLC does not affect the TT achievement. Once you're at the end of the game running through the guide only takes about 3-5 hours tops if you're running from hard battles and rushing through easy ones. (3-5 hours might sound tedious but when it takes over 140+ hours for people to get the TT achievement without a guide, you can count your blessings.)

Also, you didn't mention whether you got all the Treasure Hunt items, those 24 or so items you use the magic detectors hints to find.

And yes, side quests / trading quests items are required for the achievement.

~HotShotX

[quote name='HotShotX']The DLC does not affect the TT achievement. Once you're at the end of the game running through the guide only takes about 3-5 hours tops if you're running from hard battles and rushing through easy ones. (3-5 hours might sound tedious but when it takes over 140+ hours for people to get the TT achievement without a guide, you can count your blessings.)

Also, you didn't mention whether you got all the Treasure Hunt items, those 24 or so items you use the magic detectors hints to find.

And yes, side quests / trading quests items are required for the achievement.

~HotShotX[/quote]

Oh ok, 3-5 hours is a lot better than what I was imagining for going through the guide.

Yeah I have all the treasure hunt items—I was going to mention it, but I forgot. I guess I need to look up those sidequests then and see if I see any that I do not recall completing.

Thanks.

Should I give the seeds to the Pipot every 20 or wait until I have all 99? I have 19/20 collected so far. I was thinking of just keeping them all until I get all 99 that way I don't lose track of them.

[quote name='Blackout']Should I give the seeds to the Pipot every 20 or wait until I have all 99? I have 19/20 collected so far. I was thinking of just keeping them all until I get all 99 that way I don't lose track of them.[/quote]

I would say that it is up to you. The Pipots will keep track of how many seeds you have total. Also there are a couple milestones where if you have a certain amount of seeds given to the Pipots then they will give you an item in return.

I was really thorough going through the game, so I only ending up missing about 10 seeds when all I had left was to fight the final boss. The great thing about the seeds is that I did not have any trouble at all finding the remaining ten I needed.

This website really helped me find my missing seeds because I was able to remember which ones I had gotten previously and they have pictures of each seeds' location.

http://twobrothersandasister.com/?p=1815

Seeds are not the problem. The treasure trove achievement is the problem, haha. Also, good luck!

[quote name='Razzuel']I would say that it is up to you. The Pipots will keep track of how many seeds you have total. Also there are a couple milestones where if you have a certain amount of seeds given to the Pipots then they will give you an item in return.

I was really thorough going through the game, so I only ending up missing about 10 seeds when all I had left was to fight the final boss. The great thing about the seeds is that I did not have any trouble at all finding the remaining ten I needed.

This website really helped me find my missing seeds because I was able to remember which ones I had gotten previously and they have pictures of each seeds' location.

http://twobrothersandasister.com/?p=1815

Seeds are not the problem. The treasure trove achievement is the problem, haha. Also, good luck![/quote]

The only one I missed so far is at the train station. I've been playing the game alongside a seed guide. Do the items the Pipots give you any good?

[quote name='Blackout']The only one I missed so far is at the train station. I've been playing the game alongside a seed guide. Do the items the Pipots give you any good?[/quote]

Looking back at them, I would say they are pretty good, but you can eventually get better items. It would probably be best to collect the items whenever you have enough seeds.

For example the second item you get from the Pipots is the Earth Charm which makes your characters more resistant to Earth based attacks. The last item you get from the Pipots is the Pipot Collar which lets you absorb Earth based attacks.

So if you wait until you have 99 seeds to turn them in then you will not have any use for the Earth Charm other than to add it to your immortals and aim for their respective skill master achievements.

I hope that helps.

[quote name='Razzuel']Looking back at them, I would say they are pretty good, but you can eventually get better items. It would probably be best to collect the items whenever you have enough seeds.

For example the second item you get from the Pipots is the Earth Charm which makes your characters more resistant to Earth based attacks. The last item you get from the Pipots is the Pipot Collar which lets you absorb Earth based attacks.

So if you wait until you have 99 seeds to turn them in then you will not have any use for the Earth Charm other than to add it to your immortals and aim for their respective skill master achievements.

I hope that helps.[/quote]

That reminds me, there's a lot of element items that are received from those little sidequests, like the pipot collar, that are required for the TT achievement. The following are all the items I like that:

(Earth / Fire / Wind / Water / All) - (Resistance / Nullify / Absorb)

So 15 items in all. Plenty of other items to get in sidequests too, but the Absorb All you get from the Immortal was epic.

~HotShotX

[quote name='HotShotX']That reminds me, there's a lot of element items that are received from those little sidequests, like the pipot collar, that are required for the TT achievement. The following are all the items I like that:

(Earth / Fire / Wind / Water / All) - (Resistance / Nullify / Absorb)

So 15 items in all. Plenty of other items to get in sidequests too, but the Absorb All you get from the Immortal was epic.

~HotShotX[/quote]

The Immortal was really insane, plus the Absorb All accessory is nice. All I have left is to finish the skill master achievements, treasure trove, and the Experimental Staff Remains dungeon.

[quote name='Razzuel']Looking back at them, I would say they are pretty good, but you can eventually get better items. It would probably be best to collect the items whenever you have enough seeds.

I hope that helps.[/quote]

Man I'm not sure what to do. I know if I turn them in it'll screw me up and I'll lose track of the ones I've gotten. On the other hand, I'll be missing out on the use of some good items. :cry:

[quote name='Blackout']Man I'm not sure what to do. I know if I turn them in it'll screw me up and I'll lose track of the ones I've gotten. On the other hand, I'll be missing out on the use of some good items. :cry:[/quote]

What? Any time you visit a Pipot it tells you how many you've already turned in. The only difference between turning them in and keeping them is the items you get for turning them in.

~HotShotX

Woo hoo!

I was finally able to get Treasure Trove last night! I was following the Split Infinity guide, even though I really didn't want to.

One of my final items was a pot in front of the Numara Palace in the MOST south east corner of the map. I could of sworn I checked that pot before.

Then I talked to the little girl beside the big stone thing that has the flower bed in it, which is in front of the palace as well. She wanted me to go get her some seeds from Ghost Town.

Then the final item was a poster in the entrance of the back alley, coming from Central Station Square in Uhra. It is on the right hand side of the wall before you come to the fork in the path. I have ran through there so many times, I was surprised that I missed it.

Now it is time for Professor K!

[quote name='Razzuel']Woo hoo!

I was finally able to get Treasure Trove last night! I was following the Split Infinity guide, even though I really didn't want to.

One of my final items was a pot in front of the Numara Palace in the MOST south east corner of the map. I could of sworn I checked that pot before.

Then I talked to the little girl beside the big stone thing that has the flower bed in it, which is in front of the palace as well. She wanted me to go get her some seeds from Ghost Town.

Then the final item was a poster in the entrance of the back alley, coming from Central Station Square in Uhra. It is on the right hand side of the wall before you come to the fork in the path. I have ran through there so many times, I was surprised that I missed it.

Now it is time for Professor K![/quote]

Congrats, good luck on Professor K, it took me about 6 tries. Find a good strategy on xbox360achievements.org, and go for it. No saving at any point in the dungeon. You're best bet is to run from every battle, ignore the items, and go right for the Prof.

~HotShotX

[quote name='HotShotX']Congrats, good luck on Professor K, it took me about 6 tries. Find a good strategy on xbox360achievements.org, and go for it. No saving at any point in the dungeon. You're best bet is to run from every battle, ignore the items, and go right for the Prof.

~HotShotX[/quote]

Mother fucker! That was the third time Professor K killed me. This boss battle is so fucking stupid, I wish I could just magically win.

The first two times I had my own strategies. The third time is when I did the low health Reversa strategy that I looked up, which didn't fucking work. I even used a calculator to see if that would be a good way to do it and the math said I would win, but I guess not because I fucking failed. Maybe I was too generous, even though I tried to undervalue how much damage I was going to do. I do not want to grind all the way up to 99 because I am done with this game, excluding beating Professor K.

I really really hate this boss.

I mean it wouldn't be that bad if there was a save point or checkpoint right before him. What the fuck were the developers thinking?

"I have an idea, let's make the boss completely impossible."

"Yeah, I guess, but that doesn't seem like enough, you know?"

"Hmm, yeah you are right." *Ponders* "Oh, let's make the dungeon long and tedious enough so that it takes the player 30 or more minutes to reach the boss even if they are using turn tail in every battle. After that we exclude the ability to save."

"Perfect!"

Finally! I just beat Professor K! Now I have 1100/1100!

The only thing I did differently was that I went in with even lower health than before—101 for the four immortals and Sed—and I casted reflect this time, albeit I did not need reflect because he died on the third turn, never having a chance to cast Annihilation.

Hurray!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Razzuel']Mother fucker! That was the third time Professor K killed me. This boss battle is so fucking stupid, I wish I could just magically win.

The first two times I had my own strategies. The third time is when I did the low health Reversa strategy that I looked up, which didn't fucking work. I even used a calculator to see if that would be a good way to do it and the math said I would win, but I guess not because I fucking failed. Maybe I was too generous, even though I tried to undervalue how much damage I was going to do. I do not want to grind all the way up to 99 because I am done with this game, excluding beating Professor K.

I really really hate this boss.

I mean it wouldn't be that bad if there was a save point or checkpoint right before him. What the fuck were the developers thinking?

"I have an idea, let's make the boss completely impossible."

"Yeah, I guess, but that doesn't seem like enough, you know?"

"Hmm, yeah you are right." *Ponders* "Oh, let's make the dungeon long and tedious enough so that it takes the player 30 or more minutes to reach the boss even if they are using turn tail in every battle. After that we exclude the ability to save."

"Perfect!"

Finally! I just beat Professor K! Now I have 1100/1100!

The only thing I did differently was that I went in with even lower health than before—101 for the four immortals and Sed—and I casted reflect this time, albeit I did not need reflect because he died on the third turn, never having a chance to cast Annihilation.

Hurray![/quote]

There you go, the Low-Hp Reversa strategy is exactly how you do it. Good work.

~HotShotX

Any tips for the Learned all skills achievements? I'm guessing you can't get these until the end of the game? Anything I should know about them?

bread's done
Back