LOST Season 5 Discussion - 5/13: The Incident -

[quote name='Plinko']Not sure--could have been. Perhaps they send Desmond to Oxford only to find out she's in LA.[/QUOTE]

Yep, that could make sense as he could show up in LA and be the last of the group needing to be rounded up to head back to the Island.

[quote name='JJSP']Not only do I not think Locke is dead, I'm not totally convinced Jin's dead either.[/QUOTE]

ditto. until i see hurley talking to him, hes alive. same with claire, we havent heard anything about her, shes bound to show up sooner or later.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']ditto. until i see hurley talking to him, hes alive. same with claire, we havent heard anything about her, shes bound to show up sooner or later.[/quote]

Much... much... MUCH... later....

She's not in this season at all, but will be in season 6.

The preview episode had the creators word it in a way that implies Jin is not dead. They said Sun "believes he's dead," not in any way concretely declaring Jin to be dead.
The boat was outside the "radius" Faraday spoke of. Jin would be in her time if he survived. I would think Whitmore would send a crew to investigate his own boat going down. Sawyer remarks that one minute the boat was there and one minute it was not, not knowing about the timeshift. So it could still be dead in the water with its hull intact, or at least buoyant long enough for an injured Jin to get into the water with a floatation device where he stays until Whitmore's people pick him up.

If we don't actually see them die (Ana Lucia, Charlie, Boone, Shannon, Libby, etc.), then we should assume that they are not dead. I have a feeling that Rosseau isn't dead either.

Just watched both eposides again on ABC.com (missed some parts yesterday). lol @ Sears' "Blue Appliance Crew". I won't believe that until I see it either.

[quote name='emg28']If we don't actually see them die (Ana Lucia, Charlie, Boone, Shannon, Libby, etc.), then we should assume that they are not dead. I have a feeling that Rosseau isn't dead either.

Just watched both eposides again on ABC.com (missed some parts yesterday). lol @ Sears' "Blue Appliance Crew". I won't believe that until I see it either.[/QUOTE]

didnt we see rosseau's half buried body last season after she got shot?

[quote name='pacifickarma']Anyone else convinced that Locke isn't dead, but rather infected with the same spider venom that got Nikki and Paolo?[/quote]

The dose didn't last that long. Or maybe you are 100% correct and there's finally a reason for that out of place (yet awesomely Hitchcockian) episode.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Not really...Desmond is "special". I bet it has something to do with him being Faraday's constant. From what I understood, he's the only one that's unaffected...basically on the sidelines of the time string.[/QUOTE]

I really like this episode of lost. I finally felt they were making sense of things. When they mentioned how Desmond was "Special" it went back to how Jack, Sawer, Kate, Hurly were "Special" and on Ben's list made in season 1.

I think they are special because they are not bound by destiny like the rest of the people in the world. Their paths are not written and since they are not written they have a hard time dealing with the rest of the world. That's why they would be happier on the island.

Was visiting Shawn Elliott's Twitter page, found this. Obviously nothing specifically connected to the show, but it sure looks familiar to us fans. Why was I not surprised when I saw its shape, considering the title of the article?

Does anyone think we're going to get a good view of the smoke monster tonight? I kept trying to freeze-frame the preview, but couldn't get it just right. Also, it can't be a coincidence that last week they mentioned the "Arrow" station, and then the survivors got swarmed with fire arrows, and this week's preview shows more bow & arrow action. They make it look like there are Dharma soldiers holding those bows & arrows, too.

Whoever said that was Widmore last week, nice call, dude. Nice call.

Which explains a lot, because the female British officer looks just like Penny.

This episode is insane.
Must take place before Alpert went to visit Locke as a child. Maybe he doubts him after this episode, goes to visit him as a child, and does that "test" hoping he'd pick the compass. Explains why Alpert was so dissapointed that Locke chose the knife.

Nice call indeed. And looks like myself and others were right about Faraday's mother being that lady from his flashback that Ben was talking to in LA since Widmore told him she was in LA.

Segasonic, seems like it was all a power struggle with Whitmore. Maybe Whitmore wanted leadership, but Alpert had faith in Jacob, choosing Ben as the new leader, causing fallout between Ben and Whitmore that eventually turned into a war. Only thing odd was Alpert was cleaned up, not the crazy jungle man Ben would meet as a child. When did Dharma start out there? Wasn't it the 70s?

No need for spoiler tags after it's aired on the east coast....

Not that surprising that Widmore was an other. Explains why he's been so desperately searching for the island. Will be interesting to see who and why he got off the island. Did he leave and couldn't get back? Did Richard exile him?

Whoever said that was Widmore last week, nice call, dude. Nice call.

That was the same guy who predicted a year ago that "Shoe" would leave EGM. It's all about reading the clues. Or so he tells me.

EDIT:
It was weird to see Widmore acting slightly unsure and apprehensive, while Desmond was the one acting decisive and domineering. Unfortunately for Desmond and Penny, I think it's setting up for a tragic display of hubris for Des in the coming weeks, referring back to the end of "The Shape of Things to Come." After all, Ben is also in Los Angeles.

[quote name='dmaul1114']No need for spoiler tags after it's aired on the east coast....

Not that surprising that Widmore was an other. Explains why he's been so desperately searching for the island. Will be interesting to see who and why he got off the island. Did he leave and couldn't get back? Did Richard exile him?[/quote]

Anyone else notice his uniform said Jones? Looks like the "followers of Jacob" or whoever they are stole the uniforms from the soldiers Richard mentions they had to kill by Jacob's orders. It explains why some soldiers were seen with bow and arrows and others had rifles.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Nice call indeed. And looks like myself and others were right about Faraday's mother being that lady from his flashback that Ben was talking to in LA since Widmore told him she was in LA.[/quote]

Yes it does, but that was too obvious anyways.

On the island last season they were around 100 days after the crash, however off the island it was several months/years later and then Faraday came to the island. So he really wouldn't know where his mom was.

Awesome episode, I lvoe time travel and how everything fits in together nicely!

So does the island have all of that energy from the H-Bomb or does it have to do with something else?

EDIT: What I said doesn't make much since, but something important that we know of must have come from the Hydrogen bomb being there.

I like how the episodes fill in so many gaps. Like the thing I mentioned about Alpert going to visit Lock and being bummed out that Locke wasn't the "chosen one" because he didn't pick the same compass Alpert gave Locke and Locke gave back. But picking the knife had such importance because a knife has been featured so heavily in scenes with Locke all the way back to the very beginning of the show.

Tonight's episode was awesome.

However, I did think of something interesting while I was watching it.

If everyone has to go back to the island to save it... doesn't Walt have to come back to the island also? We haven't heard anything from him in a while.

[quote name='darthbudge']Tonight's episode was awesome.

If everyone has to go back to the island to save it... doesn't Walt have to come back to the island also? We haven't heard anything from him in a while.[/quote]

While you may be right, I'll play the devil's advocate.

Maybe the island is done with Walt like it was with Michael.

[quote name='darthbudge']Tonight's episode was awesome.

If everyone has to go back to the island to save it... doesn't Walt have to come back to the island also? We haven't heard anything from him in a while.[/quote]

I still think Ben is lying, it's not like he is known for telling the truth.

Maybe the island is done with Walt like it was with Michael.

I really don't think so. After all, "Jeremy Bentham" was the only person from the island/Flight 815 that sought him out once the Oceanic Six were 'rescued.' I won't dismiss the possibility that the producers don't have much use for him, but I have to believe that we'll see him at least once more before it's all over. His character needs a fair amount of closure, at the very least.

My sense, however, is that he'll play prominently in Season Six, with a set-up in the second half of this season. Not sure if he goes back with the people Jack and Ben are rounding up, but I believe he goes back at some point. Besides, how much else can Malcolm David Kelley have on his plate right now?

It will be interesting to see how he reacts to the realization that his father is dead (and yes, Michael is dead. His picture is in the "Dead" column on the writers' board) if he gets back to the island. Birds probably don't want to be around at that moment.

P.S.
If the hydrogen bomb is still there, buried, I wonder if they're setting it up for a very The Stand-ish climax. I know that novel has had at least a measure of influence on this show.

1.) The bomb reminded me of the Megaton quest in fallout.

2.) I think the girl that had Daniel Faraday under the gun was his mother.

^ #2 is a great point. He'd have to have been born on the island. But...who is his father then?

I think Walt is coming back. They had him "leave the island", and now three years have passed, so the age progression of the kid who played him no longer matters. There's limited scenes with him older, but now they can bring him back and the character of Walt will have aged three years anyway.

[quote name='bmachine']I thought it was a nice touch that Desmond and Penny named their son "Charlie".[/QUOTE]

I was about to post that. =D I also noticed some Filipinos in the opening scene. Schweet.

I'm also curious what the h-bomb has to do with the island. So, if that little girl is Faraday's mother, and assuming that the woman Desmond will find in LA is Mrs. Hawking, Mrs. Hawking was on the island at one point, and there's the connection with Ben. Bang.

I thought it was awesome when Locke question young Widmore's name.

And Richard doesn't age, does he?

Yeah, that girl probably was Faraday's mother. Wouldn't surprise me if Widmore was his father, would give more reason for him to have funded his reasearch etc. (on top of wanting to get back to the island).

[quote name='dmaul1114']Solid episode. Though I hope the jumping through time stops in the next few episodes as it will get old fast.[/QUOTE]

well, maybe its just me but it seems like the skips are getting slower each time, maybe its just for dramas sense, but maybe it will be a pattern.

[quote name='kennistond']So does the island have all of that energy from the H-Bomb or does it have to do with something else?

EDIT: What I said doesn't make much since, but something important that we know of must have come from the Hydrogen bomb being there.[/QUOTE]

id say its more something to come. i bet the hbomb plays a role somewhere in the future.

other thoughts...

daniel loves charlotte but left another girl for a vegitable... smells like trouble.

how on earth are desmon, penny & charlie going to to get to LA in 70 hours on a boat?

running with the blond woman being daniels mom... maybe that has something to do with whidmore funding daniel all those years, he knew he was his son. who knows, those all seem like a stretch to me.

personally, i thought the the blond woman reminded him of charlotte, after all, we know that charlotte was born on the island. but then again, seems like charlotte is too young for that to make sense.

and finally, miles is the new hurley. they need someone funny on the island since hurley left, and thats miles.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']except when the hatch blew up it was hardle hbomb worthy.[/quote]
But the hatch blew up as a fail-safe to prevent the bomb from exploding.

[quote name='Ugamer_X']But the hatch blew up as a fail-safe to prevent the bomb from exploding.[/quote]

The hatch blew up to stop the world from ending.

[quote name='bigdaddy']The hatch blew up to stop the world from ending.[/quote]
So who's to say that the bomb exploding on the island wouldn't have caused the world to end?

the promo for next week showed a beam of light from the ground into the sky. It looks like they will time shift back to season 1 when lock finds the hatch.

I think the girl that had Daniel Faraday under the gun was his mother.

Or...maybe it's Penny's mother.

But given their occasional nods to Back to the Future and that Faraday seems to be a mishmash of Doc, Marty, and George McFly, I could see the former very easily being the case.

EDIT: Anyone else notice that those not 'moving' through time on the island don't seem to even acknowledge the sound or white light when the flash occurs? And if just the non-Others on the island moved when Ben turned the "Frozen Donkey Wheel", why did the whole island disappear to those outside the "radius" that Faraday mentions in "Because You Left"? No surprise here, but something tells me that something else is going on here besides just a mindbending, scientifically-explainable phenomenon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like that lady IS Faraday's mom. One of the upcomming cast lists has he down as Eloise Hawking. And it states that she's related to someone we know.

Was Faraday lying/not sure when he said that the future couldn't be changed?

We know that he changed the future with Desmond, but Desmond was special somehow. What about all these other events? If they hadn't been jumping around like this, Locke would have never been able to tell Richard to come meet him as a child. Or are Locke and Richard also exceptions to the rule like Desmond?

I think that Faraday honestly believes what he says, and wouldn't say it if the 'math' didn't add up as such. Perhaps he's been misguided by not being giving certain variables or is just overlooking some.

Concerning Locke and the others 'moving' through time, well, they aren't violating the rules as stated by Faraday, at least not yet, because while they don't know it, what they're doing 'now' is how it already happened and presumably always will happen. They are the cause of their own effect, if you will. It helps to let going of the linear thinking generally associated with time. It would be a different story, however, if Locke had told Richard something that changed Richard's decision to seek out the infant and young child Locke a few years 'later.'

I'm still not sure what makes Desmond so special in this regard. Maybe he's the sum remainder of some anomaly in timespace, the "Neo" of the show, if you will. Hey, when he sat down with Ms. Hawking on that park bench and she offered him some chestnuts, it sure did look familiar....

[quote name='darthbudge']Was Faraday lying/not sure when he said that the future couldn't be changed?

We know that he changed the future with Desmond, but Desmond was special somehow. What about all these other events? If they hadn't been jumping around like this, Locke would have never been able to tell Richard to come meet him as a child. Or are Locke and Richard also exceptions to the rule like Desmond?[/QUOTE]
He was lyinig so Sawyer would stop knocking on the door of the hatch. Desmond isn't an exception though, he's just a special case as he's time-traveled in his mind before.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']
how on earth are desmon, penny & charlie going to to get to LA in 70 hours on a boat?
[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing they dock the boat and take a flight.

[quote name='jollydwarf']
I'm still not sure what makes Desmond so special in this regard. Maybe he's the sum remainder of some anomaly in timespace, the "Neo" of the show, if you will. [/QUOTE]

im tellin ya, its not desmond, its daniel and desmond. daniel is desmonds constant, thats why only daniel was able to communicate with him in the past and "create" a memory.

Someone here in my office said they went back and watched the episode today over lunch and heard the British woman with Alpert called "Ellie," which we can assume is short for Eloise. Which is the name of Faraday's mother.

bread's done
Back