LOST - The Final Season - LOST Auction Aug 21-22 (Post 1439)

[quote name='bvharris']Yeah, but that wouldn't have been as easily resolved, nor could they have tied it as conveniently back into the narrative of the show overall.

One thing this proves is that the hydrogen bomb definitely did not work (as intended anyway). All it did was send them back to the present (somehow). The beginning of the purgatory storyline was, in reality, unrelated to the hydrogen bomb. They only coincided in order to throw us off from what was really going on with those. That's pretty clever sleight of hand.[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, I agree.

[quote name='Segasonic01']Im wondering exactly how long Hurley did the job with ben (or after ben died) & who replaced him.[/QUOTE]

Probably a long time given Jack's dad statement of some dying "way after" him.

Given that, replacement would be no one we know as it could have been centuries down the road. He'd have had to just find candidates of his own to replace him.

Fingers crossed that there is a Hurley/Ben spin-off, and that they use that as an outlet to explain a lot of the left over mysteries. Seems reasonable- discovering new things about the island as they work out how to perform their new duties. If so, it would make the finale more... forgivable... as just a simple send off for the old characters.

[quote name='SoulReaver']you've got to...maaaaaake your own kind of music. sing your own favorite song[/QUOTE]

Whenever LOST is mentioned, that is the scene my brain automatically jumps to. By far my favorite moment.

A couple answers from Kimmell, if you read between the lines. Walt wasn't at the church because he really did get off the island, as we've seen. And Michael wasn't there because he was NOT redeemed, proven by the scene where Michael's ghost tells Hurley he's basically just a wandering ghost. So Walt is alive and Michael is still a ghost.

[quote name='Greetard']Fingers crossed that there is a Hurley/Ben spin-off, and that they use that as an outlet to explain a lot of the left over mysteries. Seems reasonable- discovering new things about the island as they work out how to perform their new duties. If so, it would make the finale more... forgivable... as just a simple send off for the old characters.

Whenever LOST is mentioned, that is the scene my brain automatically jumps to. By far my favorite moment.[/QUOTE]

They said no spinoffs in an interview I believe

[quote name='DOMINATOR912']They've been pushing them pretty hard in the commercials, so I think they're gonna be actual alternate endings. Probably only about 2 minutes long each, so the purgatory ending is still going to be what actually happens, we'll probably just see different variations.[/QUOTE]
told you.

I did not think they would be able to pull it off....but they somehow they managed to do it. I have been a Lost loyalist since day one, but even I had grown weary as we approached the end. I sold my box sets 2 weeks ago because I feared there was no way the show could provide a satisfying ending, thus making the show a failure. But just when I thought the show's "light" had gone out, the last two episodes "reawakened" the brilliance of Lost, reinvigorated the series, and successfully answered the most important questions I had. It was an excellent finale for an excellent show. I will miss the characters dearly. My blu-ray set is now on order.

I haven't watched Kimmel yet, but I'm glad they're spoof endings. The last thing they need to do is provide a bunch of real alternate endings and then have people complaining about how those were better than the one they used.

Why would Sayid make a deal with smoke Locke to revive the other chick if his true love was Shannon? They dropped the ball on that one.

I wasn't a huge fan of the finale tonight, but mainly I think that is because I'm not a fan of religious and /or spiritual themes in a show's finale. It can easily come across as a cop out or a little cheap.

Oh well.

Great show though, definitely one of the best shows in the last decade.

[quote name='yankeessuck']Why would Sayid make a deal with smoke Locke to revive the other chick if his true love was Shannon? They dropped the ball on that one.[/QUOTE]

Actually, he never specifically says the person he wants to bring back is Sharon or Nadya. He simply says the person he wants died in his arms, which applies to both Sharon and Nadia.

The church scene is a resolution to that moment. He may have fought hard to get Nadya back but Sharon was his true love.

[quote name='Dasflikko']I wasn't a huge fan of the finale tonight, but mainly I think that is because I'm not a fan of religious and /or spiritual themes in a show's finale. It can easily come across as a cop out or a little cheap.
[/QUOTE]

Then I suggest you steer clear of the Battlestar Galactica finale. ;)

I don't think the ending was overtly religious persay, despite the ending taking place in a church, but certainly spiritual.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']
The church scene is a resolution to that moment. He may have fought hard to get Nadya back but Sharon was his true love.[/QUOTE]

I don't think the six seasons of the show bear that out at all. Every possible incarnation of Sayid was in love with Nadya. Flashback, flashforward, flashpurgatory, whatever it was it was always about Nadya. Saving her, finding her, getting back to her. Shannon was a fling.

They dropped the ball on that one, though I'm not going to crucify them for it.

[quote name='bvharris']I don't think the six seasons of the show bear that out at all. Every possible incarnation of Sayid was in love with Nadya. Flashback, flashforward, flashpurgatory, whatever it was it was always about Nadya. Saving her, finding her, getting back to her. Shannon was a fling.

They dropped the ball on that one, though I'm not going to crucify them for it.[/QUOTE]

That's why him being with Shannon at the church is a twist. They showed plenty of him going after Nadya so you're led to believe that's who he'd want to be with but it wasn't.

In flashbacks, he hadn't met Shannon yet. In flashforwards, Shannon had already died in his arms. He had no reason to chase her in either situation.

There's a certain intangible quality of charisma/chemistry between certain couples. Jack and Kate, Sawyer and Juliet, Shannon and Sayid. These people may have been with other but for some reason it just seemed to "fit better" when they were paired off in the way they were at the church.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']That's why him being with Shannon at the church is a twist. They showed plenty of him going after Nadya so you're led to believe that's who he'd want to be with but it wasn't.

In flashbacks, he hadn't met Shannon yet. In flashforwards, Shannon had already died in his arms. He had no reason to chase her in either situation.

There's a certain intangible quality of charisma/chemistry between certain couples. Jack and Kate, Sawyer and Juliet, Shannon and Sayid. These people may have been with other but for some reason it just seemed to "fit better" when they were paired off in the way they were at the church.[/QUOTE]

I understand what you're saying, but I don't buy it. It's a fine explanation after the fact, but I think ultimately it was just the most convenient way to work in bringing Shannon and Boone back, which they wanted to do. If Sayid has been living the last four seasons in constant pining for Shannon, he really didn't show it too much.

Everyone was paired off with who they cared for at the time. Back when Sayid made the deal with Locke, he didn't say who he wanted to be reunited with. Perhaps the flashsideways was Sayid realizing Nadya was NOT meant for him, that he only wanted her because Shannon was unavailable (ie: worm food). That he was kept from Nadya so he could ultimately find Shannon and, hence, "awaken."

[quote name='SoulReaver']WHY DOES NO ONE GET IT?!?! I thought it was perfect, loved it sooo much. I'm confused by the confusion.

Everything that happened on the island was real. The people on the plane may or may not have gotten off the island. Hurley and Ben become guardians (hence the comment: You were a good #2, you were a great #1.

The parallel universe is a sort of middle ground between Earth and the next life. Everyone was just waiting for everyone else to realize this so they could all go to whatever comes after Earth.
[/QUOTE]

For the most part I completely agree with you. I don't understand the confusion either, I think your spoiler sums it up pretty nicely.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Everyone was paired off with who they cared for at the time. Back when Sayid made the deal with Locke, he didn't say who he wanted to be reunited with. Perhaps the flashsideways was Sayid realizing Nadya was NOT meant for him, that he only wanted her because Shannon was unavailable (ie: worm food). That he was kept from Nadya so he could ultimately find Shannon and, hence, "awaken."[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying that isn't plausible, but if that's what they were saying than it's an explanation which doesn't necessarily gel with his character over the entire length of the show, that's what I'm saying.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Everyone was paired off with who they cared for at the time. Back when Sayid made the deal with Locke, he didn't say who he wanted to be reunited with. Perhaps the flashsideways was Sayid realizing Nadya was NOT meant for him, that he only wanted her because Shannon was unavailable (ie: worm food). That he was kept from Nadya so he could ultimately find Shannon and, hence, "awaken."[/QUOTE]

The flash-sideways literally only existed in the mind of the people from the island. In Sayid's flash sideways he chooses not to be with Nadia and leaves her.

This whole finale is really starting to pull together the more I think about it...

[quote name='bvharris']I'm not saying that isn't plausible, but if that's what they were saying than it's an explanation which doesn't necessarily gel with his character over the entire length of the show, that's what I'm saying.[/QUOTE]

That's fair. I get what you're saying though, completely. Sayid was a rather underdeveloped character. Even from the start, we got the gist of what they hammered into us repeatedly through unnecessary flashbacks, that he was a good guy that was forced to do some shady shit.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']That's fair. I get what you're saying though, completely. Sayid was a rather underdeveloped character. Even from the start, we got the gist of what they hammered into us repeatedly through unnecessary flashbacks, that he was a good guy that was forced to do some shady shit.[/QUOTE]

Indeed, he was never as developed as some of the others so it makes sense his ending wouldn't be as satisfying.

Jack and Locke on the other hand, doubtless the two most important characters and the two I really feel like made a complete journey from beginning to end that I can look back on later and have a thorough understanding of who they were. I think that makes sense.

[quote name='yankeessuck']Why would Sayid make a deal with smoke Locke to revive the other chick if his true love was Shannon? They dropped the ball on that one.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you on that. Though I loved the ending, that was one of the problems I had with it. Shannon was merely a fling if anything. Nadya was Sayid's true love since she had more of a presence throughout his life. She was the reason Sayid vowed to never toruture (though he reneged on that). Then again, maybe this whole purgatory thing is exclusive to people who've been on the island.

Another problem I had were Jin and Sun. Their experiences in purgatory (formerly known as flash-sideways) seemed pointless considering that both of them died at the same time. I think it would have been more impactful if Sun was left to die in the sub and Jin lived to take care of Ji Yeon.

[quote name='bvharris']Indeed, he was never as developed as some of the others so it makes sense his ending wouldn't be as satisfying.

Jack and Locke on the other hand, doubtless the two most important characters and the two I really feel like made a complete journey from beginning to end that I can look back on later and have a thorough understanding of who they were. I think that makes sense.[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, definitely. I'd say there's a few others like Richard and Ben who came full circle as well too though.

[quote name='krnhorang85']I agree with you on that. Though I loved the ending, that was one of the problems I had with it. Shannon was merely a fling if anything. Nadya was Sayid's true love since she had more of a presence throughout his life. She was the reason Sayid vowed to never toruture (though he reneged on that). Then again, maybe this whole purgatory thing is exclusive to people who've been on the island.

Another problem I had were Jin and Sun. Their experiences in purgatory (formerly known as flash-sideways) seemed pointless considering that both of them died at the same time. I think it would have been more impactful if Sun was left to die in the sub and Jin went to take care of Ji Yeon.[/QUOTE]

"Purgatory" wasn't exclusive to islanders. Penny was there but never stepped foot on the island.

I think the Sayid/ shannon thing could be explained like this. Remember, in real time, Sayid died a few months after Shannon did. So her death and Her would have a big impact on how he needed to move on She was with him when he was redeemed (something Nadia couldn't do)

[quote name='RedvsBlue']"Purgatory" wasn't exclusive to islanders. Penny was there but never stepped foot on the island.[/QUOTE]

good call, forgot that penny was there.

[quote name='usickenme']I think the Sayid/ shannon thing could be explained like this. Remember, in real time, Sayid died a few months after Shannon did. So her death and Her would have a big impact on how he needed to move on She was with him when he was redeemed (something Nadia couldn't do)[/QUOTE]

You're forgetting about the three years he was off the island, living with Nadia (until she died).

[quote name='usickenme']I think the Sayid/ shannon thing could be explained like this. Remember, in real time, Sayid died a few months after Shannon did. So her death and Her would have a big impact on how he needed to move on She was with him when he was redeemed (something Nadia couldn't do)[/QUOTE]

Um, no he didn't. Sayid died in 2007. Shannon died in 2005.

I'm also wondering if it was possible that the flash sideways was the status quo, meaning that they were in purgatory LOST, but that the island was a test to move to beyond purgatory. But I think I'll go with the island is real stuff, but you have to admit that purgatory seemed more "normal" than the island.

[quote name='bsesb2003']I'm also wondering if it was possible that the flash sideways was the status quo, meaning that they were in purgatory LOST, but that the island was a test to move to beyond purgatory. But I think I'll go with the island is real stuff, but you have to admit that purgatory seemed more "normal" than the island.[/QUOTE]

Though I'm quite certain the island was real, you do make a good point. Following a real world where supernatural things like smoke monsters and white light caves exist, purgatory was pretty vanilla. Especially if that experience was created by a group of people who'd lived some pretty weird shit. :D

[quote name='Darshminder']Wait, so no update on Richard!???[/QUOTE]

You mean like a flash-sideways/present day for Richard? Considering that timeline is a "What if the island didn't exist" timeline, I would venture to guess he wouldn't have lived pass the 1400s or whatever century they introduced him.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']Amazing. The last two seasons were subpar, but oh man, was it worth it in the end. Beautiful.[/QUOTE]

Season 5 was probably one of the best in the show's entire run.

[quote name='kilm']You mean like a flash-sideways/present day for Richard? Considering that timeline is a "What if the island didn't exist" timeline, I would venture to guess he wouldn't have lived pass the 1400s or whatever century they introduced him.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I guess... However, I'd love to know how he reacted to getting off the island in our present day economy, lol.

[quote name='Darshminder']Yeah, I guess... However, I'd love to know how he reacted to getting off the island in our present day economy, lol.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I gotcha. You mean when he left in the Aijira plane with everyone. Since we don't know anyone's future beyond that, it's completely fine that we don't know how he fared in the real world.

Yeah, I think the island is real but I think they all died on the plane crash. That's why Jack's shoe was on a tree at the end. I think the island was their trials they had to overcome before moving into purgatory. Their way to redeem themselves before moving into heaven or hell. Jacob pulled people who were 'lost' and 'lonely like him' who were going to hell anyway to try to prove to the man in black that people who do negative/bad things that would be considered sin and be put in hell for could actually be redeemed; that there is actually good in everyone. Everyone who died tied all their loose ends. It was something they all had to overcome before they could in fact be judged.

I think Walt was there because Michael was never a father and needed to connect to him. Aaron was born because Clair didn't want it.

Just my theory though.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='evanft']Season 5 was probably one of the best in the show's entire run.[/QUOTE]

Season 5 was far and away the worst for me. Season 6 was hit or miss.

As far as what the ending meant, no, they didn't die in the crash.

The plane crashed on the island.

Everyone lived their lives, and eventually died. Boone died when the beechcraft fell in S1. Jack died in the bamboo field at the end of the finale. Claire, Kate, Des and Sawyer died much later in life after flying off the island. Hurley and Ben played the Jacob and Richard roles on the island for who knows how long, but eventually they too passed on.

The AU was basically a kind-of purgatory; all of the characters got to finally overcome their issues once and for all, and afterwards they all met up together with their loves/friends and together moved on into Heaven or whatever you want to call the afterlife beyond this world.

As far as why some people didn't end up at the church, they were either "Not ready", as Des said of Ana-Lucia, or still "trapped" like Michael, having not overcome their internal issues/forgiven themselves. One day, Michael, Walt and Vincent will all die and move on together too, most likely.

bread's done
Back