LOST - The Final Season - LOST Auction Aug 21-22 (Post 1439)

The boat they used to get to the plane (if that's what you mean) was Widmore's boat--the little row boat/skiff.

If you mean the speculation of a boat that Desmond could have used to leave--could have been Desmond's boat etc. But we don't know if that's how he left, Ben just told Hurley there were other ways to leave.

Perhaps he had Desmond turn the Donkey we'll and get dropped in Tunisia?

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']seemed clear to me that he was trapped by the tree, not crushed by the tree. they just didnt bother showing the 3 get him from the tree. at the point when he said he knew locke had a boat you knew they were going to get him loose. why waste screen time showing hurley, kate and sawyer lifting a log.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I thought he was basically being crushed by it. Sawyer said "its too damn heavy" so I figured they couldn't move it but I guess they did..

[quote name='bvharris']I think it probably boils down to this: I realized a while ago that they weren't ever going to really be in answers mode, at least not how I understood it. So I wasn't really expecting anything other than a satisfying conclusion to the story. Was it intellectually satisfying? Of course not. But I'm at least appreciative that they did do well with the direction in which they chose to go. The ending was certainly satisfying emotionally.
[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. I am actually glad in a weird sort of way that they didn't try to explain the island and all the crap that went down over the last 6 seasons because there was no realistic way to do it. The internet would have shut down. They provided a really great episode giving closure to the main characters and their story arcs (for the most part) even if I am a little annoyed that basically everything else was left wide open.

[quote name='Darkchaos91']Oh, I thought he was basically being crushed by it. Sawyer said "its too damn heavy" so i figured they couldn't move it but I guess they did..[/QUOTE]

There was another earthquake right after they tried to budge the log the first time--I just assume that got him free by moving the log etc.

[quote name='javeryh']I agree with this. I am actually glad in a weird sort of way that they didn't try to explain the island and all the crap that went down over the last 6 seasons because there was no realistic way to do it. The internet would have shut down. They provided a really great episode giving closure to the main characters and their story arcs (for the most part) even if I am a little annoyed that basically everything else was left wide open.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, there was no way to explain all the shit they threw at the wall to see what stuck over the six season run.

I was just hoping for at least some elaboration on stuff from the Season 5 finale on.

What the light was, what the smoke monster was and why Jacob's brother turned into it, but neither Jack nor Desmond did, some elaboration on how the island could heal, turn it's protectors immortal etc. etc.

Pretty lame to introduce all that stuff mostly this season and really go no where with it. Also lame all the stuff they dropped from earlier seasons, but they could have at least did better than the lame Across the Sea episode in answering questions they've raised from the season 5 finale on!

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yeah, there was no way to explain all the shit they threw at the wall to see what stuck over the six season run.

I was just hoping for at least some elaboration on stuff from the Season 5 finale on.

What the light was, what the smoke monster was and why Jacob's brother turned into it, but neither Jack nor Desmond did, some elaboration on how the island could heal, turn it's protectors immortal etc. etc.

Pretty lame to introduce all that stuff mostly this season and really go no where with it. Also lame all the stuff they dropped from earlier seasons, but they could have at least did better than the lame Across the Sea episode in answering questions they've raised from the season 5 finale on![/QUOTE]

You're right. To me there's more justification for not answering stuff about Walt or about other things which haven't really been touched on in a while than in not answering questions they raised as recently as last week. That's just cruel.

[quote name='dothog']Finally chipping in here. The producers' insistence that this is character driven is a season and a half old. They know that what drives the viewers to the show isn't the characters, but they stuck to it because the character-driven idea was easier to finish off.

Hence, the finale was just an extension of this conceit that it's all about the characters. If you're part of the 30-40% (my rough estimate) of the viewership who agreed with that, then the finale was the balls. You got to see Kate and Jack kiss not once but twice and you got to watch all the alt timeline characters grin stupidly at each other upon "waking up." Plus, you got to see what was effectively a wrap party in the church at the end. So mission accomplished on that score.[/quote]

While those mysteries may have kept many interested, the fact is that this show had one of the largest maintained casts in TV history (eclipsed only by Desperate Housewives, which is unarguably character based). The entire reason for them going to the island is Jacob having chosen them as candidates. They were there as the result of human motivations, not physical anomalies. (it is left unclear as to how Jacob's choice to have them there results in Desmond's mistake in failing to press the button).

If you were part of what I'd estimate to be the majority of viewers who got hooked on the show because weird shit was going down and you have a mind that digs puzzles and/or simply wants to know Why? when weird shit goes down, then the finale was hard to swallow.

Asking why is very human. However, when we ask why in the real world, it's to solve problems, gain information about our world and better equip ourselves to do things in life. Stories are meant to be intellectually enriching. Saying that the island's energy source is the result of cold fusion or whatever you want it to be may be cool/satisfy some people's curiosity, but it gives you no take-away. There has to be some human element we can derive and apply to our lives. Those mysteries cannot provide that in and of themselves (however, their by-product of driving people to redeeming themselves is intellectually rewarding).

Wanting to know the answers presumes all of the people on the island know the answers. If the writers presume that some of them are unknowable to those on the island, and that they can only live by the consequences, it makes sense that we would also not know them. That's also what makes us connect to the characters. They don't always know everything that's going on, yet they feel compelled to do what they think is right. We are not an overseer. We become part of the story and are forced to live the adventure with them.

What annoyed me a bit was that after all the elaborate, intertwined mythology and character backstory, a device that was introduced not only two or three weeks ago (the golden light) played a huge role in closing out the events on the Island. Not that it's necessary to know exactly what the light and that pool were, but when Des went down and we first saw it and the hieroglyphs and all kinds of cool shit, I thought to myself that it might as well have been tinsel and x-mas lights at this point. That feeling of emptiness, for me, characterized a lot of the final season.

Wrong. The light source in the island has been known as the electromagnetic energy that we learn about way early on. We know that they are related because Desmond's ability to survive the destruction of the hatch is the same reason he's able to live through visiting the light source.

[quote name='Anexanhume'] The entire reason for them going to the island is Jacob having chosen them as candidates. They were there as the result of human motivations, not physical anomalies. (it is left unclear as to how Jacob's choice to have them there results in Desmond's mistake in failing to press the button).[/quote]

True, the problem is they had no idea what they were doing with Jacob, what the man in black/smokie was back in the day.

So they spent way too much time building up mysteries around the numbers, Walt and Aaron, Dharma, The Others etc. that really ended up being at best tangentially related to the main plot of Jacob needing a replacement to guard the light, and the bigger focus on the ultimate redemption of each of our characters.

It got too many of us interested in the mythos and caring secondarily about the characters. Again I wouldn't have tuned in for 6 years if I knew it was all just another story about faith and redemption. I thought it was that with a neat sci-fi mystery as part of the main story.

There has to be some human element we can derive and apply to our lives. Those mysteries cannot provide that in and of themselves (however, their by-product of driving people to redeeming themselves is intellectually rewarding).

That's your opinion I guess. I found it emotionally rewarding. But not intellectually rewarding at all. I found the straight ignoring of most mysteries and hollow answers for others intellectually insulting if anything.

Wrong. The light source in the island has been known as the electromagnetic energy that we learn about way early on. We know that they are related because Desmond's ability to survive the destruction of the hatch is the same reason he's able to live through visiting the light source.

Knowing it's the source of the electromagnetic energy tells us little about what the hell it is, why it/the island can heal, how it can create a smoke monster from some but not all that enter etc.

Again, found the finally emotionally satisfying for resolving the character arcs. But intellectually insulting after spending so much time following the mythos and watching to see how it all fit together--only to see them say fuck it and not try to fit it together.

[quote name='Anexanhume']

Wanting to know the answers presumes all of the people on the island know the answers. If the writers presume that some of them are unknowable to those on the island, and that they can only live by the consequences, it makes sense that we would also not know them. That's also what makes us connect to the characters. They don't always know everything that's going on, yet they feel compelled to do what they think is right. We are not an overseer. We become part of the story and are forced to live the adventure with them.

[/quote]

well put.

the light also appears at the sight of the donkey wheel, which we learn in "across the sea". its the source of the islands power. while the plug was undone jack/locke were mortal. in that brief window jack was able to kill the smoke monster.

[quote name='Segasonic01']wait, Ben told sayid he got off the island after the 6 did by using the boat. Then he took the Ajira flight back. So how did the boat get there?[/QUOTE]

Ben was lying to Sayid. He left the island turning the donkey wheel.

[quote name='dmaul1114']
Knowing it's the source of the electromagnetic energy tells us little about what the hell it is, why it/the island can heal, how it can create a smoke monster from some but not all that enter etc.
[/QUOTE]

Regarding what it is and why it heals, what sort of answer are you looking for beyond it's magic, honestly? That's like watching the original Star Wars trilogy and asking what the force is and then watching the new trilogy and getting pissed at the idiotic explanation that gave.

About the smoke monster, yeah, who knows. Maybe it's because the man in black was evil when he was thrown into the light since he had just killed his mother. Desmond and Jack were at least redeemed when they entered the light.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yeah, there was no way to explain all the shit they threw at the wall to see what stuck over the six season run.

Pretty lame to introduce all that stuff mostly this season and really go no where with it. Also lame all the stuff they dropped from earlier seasons, but they could have at least did better than the lame Across the Sea episode in answering questions they've raised from the season 5 finale on![/QUOTE]

I thought it was pretty obvious what some of those things meant:

"The job is to keep the light safe. The island is like a cork holding back darkness and evil. If the light goes out, evil will spread"

In "Across the Sea," the MiB is clearly painted as the evil twin; Jacob is good, thus he protects the light. Jacob's brother turned into the smoke monster because he was evil.. the light sort of rejected him; Jack and Desmond were not.

As for the island's abilities, I don't think we ever really need to know. It was just a place where miracles happened.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Regarding what it is and why it heals, what sort of answer are you looking for beyond it's magic, honestly? That's like watching the original Star Wars trilogy and asking what the force is and then watching the new trilogy and getting pissed at the idiotic explanation that gave.
[/quote]

Any explanation would work. Saying the island was Eden and also the plug keeping hell from erupting and destroying heaven and earth etc. would suffice.

Star Wars at least explained why people had these powers--because their was a force in all living things etc. I was also fine with the midichlorian elaboration in the prequels.

What can I say, I'm a man of science, not a man of faith! And I'm not all that imaginative so I like my stories spelled out for me, not left to interpretation.

About the smoke monster, yeah, who knows. Maybe it's because the man in black was evil when he was thrown into the light since he had just killed his mother. Desmond and Jack were at least redeemed when they entered the light.

Again, a fine explanation that they could have offered with a line or two from Jacob etc. "My brother was evil so exposure to hell allowed a demon to take his corrupt soul and emerge as the smoke monster."

It's not like they needed another 3 seasons to flush out some of these main points, just a few bits of info here and there would have sufficed.

[quote name='Frankski']How did Jack get out of the stone-plugged bathtub? All of a sudden, he is outside the cave, not dead.[/QUOTE]

Man in blacks body got washed out.

Assume Jack got washed out as well. As for why he's alive, that we can only speculate. The above notion that he and Desmond were already redeemed works I guess--they weren't corrupted souls and thus couldn't be killed and turned into smoke monsters.

Again, something that should have been made clearer by a statement on why MiB was turned into a smoke monster.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Any explanation would work. Saying the island was Eden and also the plug keeping hell from erupting and destroying heaven and earth etc. would suffice.

Star Wars at least explained why people had these powers--because their was a force in all living things etc. I was also fine with the midichlorian elaboration in the prequels.

What can I say, I'm a man of science, not a man of faith! And I'm not all that imaginative so I like my stories spelled out for me, not left to interpretation.

[/QUOTE]

well "mother" said that the light is in all living things. its the source of life and death.

[quote name='Frankski']How did Jack get out of the stone-plugged bathtub? All of a sudden, he is outside the cave, not dead.[/QUOTE]

same way MIBs carcass did.

But Jack was alive when he got out -- Not MiB.

Also, and this is very peripheral, but who else was thinking Hot Tub Time Machine in the finale?

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']well "mother" said that the light is in all living things. its the source of life and death.
[/QUOTE]

True, so they should have just been a more direct with that, and added a line or two about how it tied to hell (if that's what the plug is holding back) and how it created smokey, how it makes the protector immortal for a period etc.

But that's just me, again I like shit spelled out, not vague and left up to interpretation.

[quote name='Frankski']But Jack was alive when he got out -- Not MiB.
[/QUOTE]

Like I said, best we can go with there is speculate that Jack and Desmond were good/redeemed and couldn't be killed and have their souls turned into smoke monsters. Unlike the MiB who had just killed his fake mother etc.

[quote name='Frankski']But Jack was alive when he got out -- Not MiB.

Also, and this is very peripheral, but who else was thinking Hot Tub Time Machine in the finale?[/QUOTE]

he was dead before he went in.

no.

I thought the ending was great. I have no idea why there is so much hate on the final show. Any way F those people if they think they waisted 6 years of their life.

And I have no idea why its so hard for everyone to wrap their head around that in limbo/purgetory there is no sense of time and that would let everyone meet up together.

[quote name='KingDox']
And I have no idea why its so hard for everyone to wrap their head around that in limbo/purgetory there is no sense of time and that would let everyone meet up together.[/QUOTE]

I think most everyone gets that. And I think most have little problem with that. For me at least, I liked that part and found it a good end to the character arcs.

Those of us let down were just a bit more into the island mythos than the characters, so the ending was only half (or less) satisfying as so much of the island mythos was ignored.

That said, I don't at all feel like I wasted 6 years, as I enjoyed the ride and researching the mythos along the way etc. The unsatistfying ending and final season can't take that away.

That just takes away any interest I have in rewatching it all again in the future.

As a sentimental, aww-shucks sendoff for the characters, the finale was fantastic.

As a resolution to the larger mythology of Lost and the culmination of a six-season story arc, it was terrible. But that shouldn't have been a surprise after how weak an episode Across the Sea was.

I would've preferred a more genuine attempt to proffer a believable explanation about the nature of the Island, Jacob, the MiB, etc. that weren't just pretty-pretty lights and "Because I made it that way." Those really aren't the sort of minor unanswered questions that are the mark of forgivable, if bad, writing.

But really, it seems one's reaction to the finale depends entirely on which of the above alternatives they wanted more.

[quote name='thisboywillbreak']In "Across the Sea," the MiB is clearly painted as the evil twin; Jacob is good, thus he protects the light. Jacob's brother turned into the smoke monster because he was evil.. the light sort of rejected him; Jack and Desmond were not.

As for the island's abilities, I don't think we ever really need to know. It was just a place where miracles happened.[/QUOTE]

I don't think you were watching the same "Across the Sea" that I was. MIB was in no way, shape, or form portrayed as the 'evil' guy besides when he killed the mother character, who presumably had just murdered his entire people, so if you want to say MIB is evil for that, then the mother character is ten times worse. That is also totally ignoring the fact that she killed their real mother. Jacob was violent towards MIB several times throughout the episode, while MIB did not fight back. MIBs actions were all logical human actions and desires. Jacob was a yes man that did not seem to care about learning what the hell was going on outside his little world, and believed everything the 'mother' spoon-fed him while MIB did not.

[quote name='KingDox']I thought the ending was great. I have no idea why there is so much hate on the final show. Any way F those people if they think they waisted 6 years of their life.

And I have no idea why its so hard for everyone to wrap their head around that in limbo/purgetory there is no sense of time and that would let everyone meet up together.[/QUOTE]

You clearly did not even read the thread, based on your comments. Many have given very good explanations on their stance, and I do not recall anybody having an extremely difficult time piecing together what the flash-sideways was all about.

Was anyone else surprised when Ben mysteriously showed on the cliffs with no explanation of how they got him out from under that tree? I thought they were going to have to leave him there. Why have him get hurt by the tree anyway? Did I miss something?

[quote name='hufferstl']Was anyone else surprised when Ben mysteriously showed on the cliffs with no explanation of how they got him out from under that tree? I thought they were going to have to leave him there. Why have him get hurt by the tree anyway? Did I miss something?[/QUOTE]

Discussed above.

He was trapped, but not hurt badly.

We didn't see how they got him out on camera but:

1. The either just got him up--they showed them trying to lift the log. If not....

2. There was an earthquake right then when they were trying and the show went to a different scene, perhaps that jarred him loose.

[quote name='hufferstl'] Why have him get hurt by the tree anyway? [/QUOTE]
Well, as they pointed out, Ben was Lost's punching bag. Also, I think it was to show once and for all that Ben was a good guy.

I watched it again. Here's what I google chatted my brutha:

i rewatched lost finale....2 thoughts.....1. I either fell asleep or was drunk....2. I'll watch again.....3. I'll save final thoughts until you watch

After the second viewing, I loved it. A lot. Not everything was answered, but it is a fitting ending to a great show. My biggest question is how Desmond became the Master Of Ceremonies for the big finale.

Side notes: I liked the Yoda reference into "I've got a bad feeling about this". And I liked when Jack gave Hurley the drink, Indiana Jones-ish music was playing a la Last Crusade. Being a kid into a teen when those movies came out, the subtle references made me grin.

[quote name='dmaul1114']
2. There was an earthquake right then when they were trying and the show went to a different scene, perhaps that jarred him loose.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't be surprised if the box set has a longer cut. There was some really shitty editing, as if parts were taken out just to make the show fit the 2.5 hour window.

[quote name='Stoneage']My biggest question is how Desmond became the Master Of Ceremonies for the big finale.
[/QUOTE]

For that I just assumed that his flashes weren't traveling through time, but rather traveling back and forth between the real world and the sideways purgatory world.

And when he got zapped by the magnet this season, he had full memory of both places.

In the sideways world he was the first of the main characters to get full memory of their lives back (presumably Eloise Hawking had her memory as well--and that's why she knew so much in both the sideways world and the real world in prior seasons).

In the real world, he had knowledge of the sideways world where they could all be with who they loved etc.---but didn't know it was a purgatory only reachable via death. So he thought pulling the plug would send them all there, but was mistaken.

It's another thing I'd like fleshed out a bit more, but at least on that I though they hinted at it enough that at least that theory could be put together pretty easily.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']I wouldn't be surprised if the box set has a longer cut. There was some really shitty editing, as if parts were taken out just to make the show fit the 2.5 hour window.[/QUOTE]

No doubt. Especially since there were so many damn commercial breaks.

Sure seemed like many fewer commercial breaks tonight during the 24 finale that last night.

I just watched it, I hated it. I don't give a shit about the journey to the afterlife. The alternate universe made absolutely no difference to the entire series. It was just tacked on to this season so they could get away with not answering any questions by pulling people into the alternate universe so they'd forget about all the mysteries of the island. I guess it worked.

I feel really retarded, I thought the Alternate endings were going to be serious, not jokes. I should have known better than to think Kimmell would not make a joke of it.

[quote name='Cap03']I loved it and there will be 20 additional minutes on the DVD.[/QUOTE]

i'm sure walt will be in one of the scenes, he was on seen on set before, and i was hoping he would be in the finale but no go.

Hands down best show that ever was and ever will be. The finale was PERFECT.

An another note, I am still astounded by how many people still don't understand it. It really wasn't that hard to grasp if you listened.

[quote name='dmaul1114']True, the problem is they had no idea what they were doing with Jacob, what the man in black/smokie was back in the day.

So they spent way too much time building up mysteries around the numbers, Walt and Aaron, Dharma, The Others etc. that really ended up being at best tangentially related to the main plot of Jacob needing a replacement to guard the light, and the bigger focus on the ultimate redemption of each of our characters.

It got too many of us interested in the mythos and caring secondarily about the characters. Again I wouldn't have tuned in for 6 years if I knew it was all just another story about faith and redemption. I thought it was that with a neat sci-fi mystery as part of the main story.

That's your opinion I guess. I found it emotionally rewarding. But not intellectually rewarding at all. I found the straight ignoring of most mysteries and hollow answers for others intellectually insulting if anything.

Again, found the finally emotionally satisfying for resolving the character arcs. But intellectually insulting after spending so much time following the mythos and watching to see how it all fit together--only to see them say fuck it and not try to fit it together.[/QUOTE]

I agree with your last paragraph -- the show was about these people who were lost while alive until they found each other are were lost souls until again they found each other to pass through.

But, they really dropped the ball on the island mythos -- I understand that the writers focused on the characters, but too many questions about the island went unanswered.

[quote name='bsesb2003']But, they really dropped the ball on the island mythos -- I understand that the writers focused on the characters, but too many questions about the island went unanswered.[/QUOTE]

I think this is really a matter of opinion. Yes, there were some topics that were barely explored that they could have done a better job with. But then there were a lot of things that had implied answers, or things that you could easily figure out on your own. dmaul has made it pretty clear that he is in the camp that does not enjoy those kinds of stories, and that's fine. I know plenty of people like that who like having every little thing spelled out for them.

But personally, I find that to be boring, and I find many of dmaul's suggestions for how things could have been explained (Jacob having a dialogue of "Well...my brother turned into a smoke monster because he was evil and the light rejected him" and "Hey guess what. The island is a barrier preventing hell from overtaking the entire planet!") cheesy and a bit patronizing. It's just not that impossible for me to reason why on a mystical island, the MiB's soul might have been transformed into evil incarnate while Jack's and Desmond's were not. And why that evil thing might like to leave and wreak havoc on the rest of society. Once you figure out that the MiB is evil, it's pretty straightforward.

And to be honest, it's not like television is the first entertainment medium to leave things up to your interpretation. Many books leave similar loose ends intentionally so that the reader can hypothesize about what might have happened. I realize that gets abused by a lot of shows and movies, but it is a creative device. And I think LOST did a good job of steering you in the right direction so you can draw your own conclusions.

I also found it amusing that dmaul seemed to find his own way to the conclusion of being a man of science vs a man of faith. Say what you want about the seasons not tying together in any logical way, but that one theme has been at the forefront of all six seasons. It's not surprising to me at all that it would find its way into the argument of how people view its ending.

And if you look at the series as being specifically about Jack, and his journey as a character, he started out strictly as a man of science, but ultimately, did not find peace until he became a man of faith. And before people start with the anti-religion rants, it has nothing to do with religion. But moreso the belief that you don't have to be in control of every little thing all the time. As the show put it, he needed to let go.

So, what were everyone's favorite episodes of the series? Many of the season finales were great, but I LOVED The Constant and Ab Aeterno. I'll have to look them up again to remind me, but those 2 stick in my mind as two of the best.

[quote name='evanft']So, what were everyone's favorite episodes of the series? Many of the season finales were great, but I LOVED The Constant and Ab Aeterno. I'll have to look them up again to remind me, but those 2 stick in my mind as two of the best.[/QUOTE]
1. The End
2. Through the Looking Glass
3. The Constant

bread's done
Back