Lots of Rock Band DLC On Sale - Xbox360

Shadowiii

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I don't remember this being announced, but a BUNCH of Rock Band DLC seems to be priced down.

Xbox 360 DLC sale runs through January 11th.
PlayStation 3 DLC sale runs from January 11th through January 25th.

http://www.rockband.com/blog/ten-packs-dlc-sale

Taken from RockBandAide:

Moving Pictures” is typically priced 880 MSP ($10.99), but is currently marked down to 440 MSP ($5.50), and contains the following songs:

• The Camera Eye
  • Limelight (Original Version)
  • Red Barchetta
  • Tom Sawyer (Original Version)
  • Vital Signs
  • Witch Hunt
  • YYZ
The Cars” is typically priced 1,200 MSP ($14.99), but is currently marked down to 680 MSP ($8.50), and contains the following songs:

• All Mixed Up
  • Bye Bye Love
  • Don’t Cha Stop
  • Good Times Roll
  • I’m in Touch with Your World
  • Just What I Needed
  • Moving in Stereo
  • My Best Friend’s Girl
  • You’re All I’ve Got Tonight
Update: Looks like there are quite a bit more packs that are also on sale…
Nine Inch Nails Pack 01 – 240 MSP

• March of the Pigs
  • The Collector
  • The Perfect Drug
Oasis Pack 01 – 240 MSP

• Don’t Look Back in Anger
  • Live Forever
  • Wonderwall
Weezer Pack 02 – 240 MSP

• My Name Is Jonas
  • Pork and Beans
  • Undone (The Sweater Song)
Evanescence Pack 01 – 240 MSP

• Bring Me to Life
  • Call Me When You’re Sober
  • Weight of the World
The Police Pack 01 – 240 MSP

• Can’t Stand Losing You
  • Roxanne
  • Synchronicity II
Jimmy Buffet Pack 01 – 240 MSP

• Volcano
  • Margaritaville
  • Cheeseburger in Paradise
All That Remains Pack 01 – 240 MSP

• Chiron
  • This Calling
  • Two Weeks
I've been waiting for the NiN DLC to go on sale, so I'm all over this!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='mer71']The Cars and Rush are mine!!! I wish RB would bring out a Chicago pack.[/QUOTE]

With keys and Harmonies? That would be glorious.

I want a NiN pack with keys, personally. And I should probably get Rush even though I'm just now beginning to get into them (yeah, lots and lots of years late, I know. :) )

Tempted, but you just know they're going to totally double dip with these tracks and release them down the road with keyboard, harmonies, pro guitar, etc. I've stopped buying all "old" RB DLC just because of this. I think they're going to have a real problem on their hands in the future because of the way they're doing things with RB3.

Thanks for posting this, I hadn't seen it. I grabbed the Rush stuff and the Weezer pack, already had a bunch of the other stuff.

[quote name='MSUHitman']There is a free Rock Band 3 track pack as well Major Nelson announced today.
http://mjr.mn/grbVHJ[/QUOTE]
Thanks for posting that! I love that Libyans song, even though looking online it looks like I'm the only one :) It reminds me of an old Avengers song.

Wow, thanks for the heads up Shadowiii. I already own the ones I want from that list, but gonna go check store to see if anything was missed. So, was this sale completely unannounced , or am I just out of the loop?

It'd sell less than than the abomination that was Van Halen but imagine if you released a custom Rush package with replica Alex Lifeson guitar, Geddy Lee keyboard, or Neil Peart drum set. with like 40 rush songs. I'd easily fork over $200 for that. And if it was signed, i'd buy it for $1000.

I wonder how many units it'd have to sell to cover developmental costs.

Yes, I'm a huge Rush nerd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btcvSWoQWV0

I'm a big fan of the Cars songs. They are good if you don't have psychotic skills. Many 3* drums songs, perfect for me on Expert. "You're All I've Got Tonite" has a pounding kick drum beat that is great fun. The only other band pack I can think of that is this size and I like as much is the Jimi Hendrix one. Those songs are harder, and not on sale.

[quote name='simmias']Tempted, but you just know they're going to totally double dip with these tracks and release them down the road with keyboard, harmonies, pro guitar, etc. I've stopped buying all "old" RB DLC just because of this. I think they're going to have a real problem on their hands in the future because of the way they're doing things with RB3.[/QUOTE]

how about for those of us (like myself) who don't care for pro guitar, keyboards or other stuff like that? i'm fine using the game @ default and i only play bass/guitar and use the mic some times. i'm thinking of getting The Cars and maybe Rush, got everything else. Is the cars album worth buying to play though? I like the music, but doesn't seem like it takes much effort.

[quote name='tunavi']Wow these songs are ridiculously expensive. You guys actually pay for this stuff?[/QUOTE]

the most dedicated do, but that's why their sales have gone way down, everything about playing these games are too expensive. plus as said, sooner or later they will Re-release all these songs with keyboard, pro drums and make all the most loyal fans REBUY them for full price, because that's how they run their company, terribly.

[quote name='tunavi']Wow these songs are ridiculously expensive. You guys actually pay for this stuff?[/QUOTE]

Have you ever been on iTunes? It costs $1 for a song. Here you are getting tracks and karaoke, and on sale these songs are ~$1.

And hey, we don't go in and tell you the games you buy are overpriced. Let people enjoy their hobby, mmkay?

Thank you so much for positively contributing to this thread.

Looks like it's finally time for me to get on that Nine Inch Nails pack, years later.

dude is clearly trolling.

$2 per song (retail) isn't even that bad when the song is bad ass and you already like it.

When you get a sale like this and you like the music, it's a steal.

I would like to add to my negativity, good find OP and I'm happy for those who can still afford to play the rock band series. It truly is a fun game but having all my instruments eventually tear down and not work, I can't afford to buy new equipment. I don't think he has to be trolling, it is an expensive game and DLC is very expensive. I have all but 2 of those packs, and if they do "re-release" them as they did with Queen, and charge full price to those who bought it earlier, that's just weak.

Honestly, I'm waiting until those bastards put up Johnny B. Goode for download; come on, you include Power of Love in RB3 but not Johnny B. Goode? -_-

[quote name='eliguanodon']the most dedicated do, but that's why their sales have gone way down, everything about playing these games are too expensive. plus as said, sooner or later they will Re-release all these songs with keyboard, pro drums and make all the most loyal fans REBUY them for full price, because that's how they run their company, terribly.[/QUOTE]
Terribly? Harmonix is one of the best developers I've ever known. Sure, the DLC might be kind of expensive, but they really care for and about their fans and try to keep everyone informed about what's happening.

^I like Harmonix and what they have done with the Rock Band series but there are some things about their DLC and new games that bother me... like paying a fee each time a new game is released if you want the tracks from your old game. It's also not a good sign when you have updated versions of tracks being released that the original users would have to re-buy; this is my biggest complaint. I think that adding something like keyboard support/vocal harmonies to older songs should be free; for the pro instruments I could see paying for an "upgrade" or something similar.

On Topic... I picked up the free Rock Band Pack that was posted here. I already had the songs I wanted that were in this sale.

Already have a lot of pieces of this from the Pepsi promotion, but...I've gotta get Rush for that price. :D

[quote name='JordanPlayer']^I like Harmonix and what they have done with the Rock Band series but there are some things about their DLC and new games that bother me... like paying a fee each time a new game is released if you want the tracks from your old game.[/QUOTE]

Music licensing doesn't work that way. The fact that you can do it at all is already throwing a huge bone to the fans.

[quote name='JordanPlayer']It's also not a good sign when you have updated versions of tracks being released that the original users would have to re-buy; this is my biggest complaint. I think that adding something like keyboard support/vocal harmonies to older songs should be free; for the pro instruments I could see paying for an "upgrade" or something similar[./QUOTE]

Business models don't work that way either. They'd have to completely redo the songs from scratch to make that happen (since the keyboards and background vocals were lumped into the "background" audio before), and that costs time and money. :roll:

[quote name='JordanPlayer']^I like Harmonix and what they have done with the Rock Band series but there are some things about their DLC and new games that bother me... like paying a fee each time a new game is released if you want the tracks from your old game. It's also not a good sign when you have updated versions of tracks being released that the original users would have to re-buy; this is my biggest complaint. I think that adding something like keyboard support/vocal harmonies to older songs should be free; for the pro instruments I could see paying for an "upgrade" or something similar.

On Topic... I picked up the free Rock Band Pack that was posted here. I already had the songs I wanted that were in this sale.[/QUOTE]

Think of it as a privelge. You could be disc swapping like Lips, Singstar, etc. GH has a fee to transfer old songs and you lose a good chunk of the tracks. You aren't entitled to it. Personally, I would rather have them in one place so I am willing to pay the fee. The fee takes into place re-licensing fees. Being that this is CAG, the majority of us never paid full price for the titles that we are transfering in.

Second just because Queen and 2 Bon Jovi tracks were re-done doesn't mean they are going through the whole old catalog and re-releasing tracks. Based on the reaction from the community on Queen, my guess is Harmonix will abandon that route. Harmonix listens to users and their fans. As for their pricing structure... it is warranted. They are new songs since they are mixed differently. On top of it, they have to re-license it. Add in that they added new charting for Keyboard and Harmonies. You are consumer so you have a choice to not rebuy. Not having these two features does NOT stop you from still playing that track.

Bring this back around...
On fence for Rush and Jimmy Buffet (for Karoke purpose).

I already own individual tracks from some of the other packs so I wont be going for them (i.e. Weezer, Evanescence). I definitely recommend All That Remains track pack.

Question: If I don't plan on buying rock band 3 anytime soon (until it gets to about $25 or less) how will purchasing this dlc content and also my past purchased dlc content affect me when I do get rock band 3? Saw someone mention earlier something about having to pay more fees and such, am wondering what's really going on. I don't wanna buy rb3 if I gotta pay for anything else other than importing my rb2 songs.

[quote name='intoxicated662']Question: If I don't plan on buying rock band 3 anytime soon (until it gets to about $25 or less) how will purchasing this dlc content and also my past purchased dlc content affect me when I do get rock band 3? Saw someone mention earlier something about having to pay more fees and such, am wondering what's really going on. I don't wanna buy rb3 if I gotta pay for anything else other than importing my rb2 songs.[/QUOTE]

All of my RB2 DLC (not including the RB2 export itself, which omits some songs) was available in RB3. The "extra fees" are for Pro Mode Guitar/Bass, which don't exist for most DLC produced prior to RB3's release, anyway. If you're not going to play Pro Mode, your library should remain intact.

I already have Can't Stand Losing You from one of the track packs, but might just pick up The Police anyway, since it's still cheaper than buying the individual songs I'm missing.

[quote name='simmias']Tempted, but you just know they're going to totally double dip with these tracks and release them down the road with keyboard, harmonies, pro guitar, etc. I've stopped buying all "old" RB DLC just because of this. I think they're going to have a real problem on their hands in the future because of the way they're doing things with RB3.[/QUOTE]
i am slightly offended by the idea that i would have to re-buy the queen tracks, and there aren't enough keyboard tracks on RB3 so it feels like being forced.

the first night i played RB3 i wanted to put RB2 back in.

I doubt they double dip on much stuff beyond the Queen tracks, I love how RB3 reworked the career mode to incorporate DLC more, it is amazing to have everything ported into that one game and manage playlists via the web.

I am just speculating as these are great deals indeed, but who feels that the Harmonix sale for $50 and taking on their debt will hamper their growth with continuous new licenses?

I mean to get big name artists will cost a lot of money and incur more debt which I don't think this Columbus Nova wants to inherit. I mean wasn't that the reason why Viacom sold them for nothing more than tax break anways was due to RB3 lukewarm sales and their increased debt for new licenses?

To me this will stunt their long term growth and maybe they'll discount more songs to try and increase tepid sales or go the way of GH and seldom have new content after their current slate of DLC is exhausted.

[quote name='fadersdream']oh, and spending my money on something is not a "PRIVILEGE".[/QUOTE]

It is when you realize that no other company does exports as well as Harmonix does them (all companies have a export fee). Let alone does them at all. Nothing is fun about swapping discs midsession on Lips and Singstar when you have some people over wanting to play a track from a different disc. Harmonix could have done the same thing but they were nice enough to give us an option to prevent that. Like I stated before, you are not FORCED to export your tracks. You could always swap discs when you want to play a track from a different disc. But again, it is not fun :roll:

Stingy CAGs need to remember that people actually pay $1 at a bar to hear a song one time. When you look at it that way, $2 for a Rock Band song (with 4 ways to play, 13 different charts to accommodate difficulty levels, forward-compatible pro drum features for a game that didn't exist yet when the DLC came out, and whatever licensing fees were associated with it) is not a bad deal at all.

Not to mention that pretty much no one here paid full price for their MS points anyway. Suck it up, people. :p Thanks for the post, OP.

[quote name='confoosious']dude is clearly trolling.
[/QUOTE]

He's not trolling. He just made in post at the same time he was pre-ordering Guitar Hero: Justin Bieber, Guitar Hero: Jonas Brothers, Guitar Hero: Hilary Duff and DJ Hero 3: The Road to DJ Hero 4.

[quote name='Tarskidx']I am just speculating as these are great deals indeed, but who feels that the Harmonix sale for $50 and taking on their debt will hamper their growth with continuous new licenses?

I mean to get big name artists will cost a lot of money and incur more debt which I don't think this Columbus Nova wants to inherit. I mean wasn't that the reason why Viacom sold them for nothing more than tax break anways was due to RB3 lukewarm sales and their increased debt for new licenses?

To me this will stunt their long term growth and maybe they'll discount more songs to try and increase tepid sales or go the way of GH and seldom have new content after their current slate of DLC is exhausted.[/QUOTE]
This. I've long been a Harmonix supporter, but I fear for their long-term viability. I mean, who's going to buy a $320 peripheral? (Besides me :) ) Who really cares about keyboards? I want pro drums and pro guitar, but there aren't a lot of people like me left. My friends are tired of these games these days, and I think most other people are, too.

I don't know. I just think that when you have a dwindling fan base, you don't implement policies that piss people off and cost people more money, even if it costs you more money to produce it. It's short-sighted.

[quote name='zenintrude']Seems like there's an Offspring pack that didn't make the OP[/QUOTE]

Guess so, but it isn't discounted yet. Me and the RockBandAid guys just went down the "packs" collection and wrote down all the currently discounted ones.
I jumped on the Oasis pack, too. Meaning I got Rush, Oasis, and NIN for all around $10. That's not a bad deal at all.

bread's done
Back