Lunar The Silver Star Remake Coming To PSP

[quote name='Dead of Knight']http://www.famitsu.com/sp/091019_lunar/02.html
Pics, including battle screen

I am freaking the fuck out here. You can play as the Four Heroes. YOU CAN PLAY AS THE FOUR HEROES. HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT OH. MY. GOD.[/QUOTE]

I read that earlier in the day, but actually seeing the images is getting me really excited. I hope their section is at least a few hours long...

Oh man finally seeing Dyne in the Dragon set is awesome, oh man and Ghaleon like that is interesting too. This game can't come quick enough!

Originally slated for an early/mid January release, EBgames/Gamestop.com now have this listed as February 2nd. It keeps the WD spirit of continual delays alive and well.

[quote name='SDC']Originally slated for an early/mid January release, EBgames/Gamestop.com now have this listed as February 2nd. It keeps the WD spirit of continual delays alive and well.[/QUOTE]

fuuuu.jpg

Ok, now I have a reason to import.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']http://www.famitsu.com/sp/091019_lunar/02.html
Pics, including battle screen

I am freaking the fuck out here. You can play as the Four Heroes. YOU CAN PLAY AS THE FOUR HEROES. HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT OH. MY. GOD.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, you only get to play as them for about ten minutes total, and only in battles. It's strange, because the Four Heroes scenario is the very first part of the game, and feels entirely tacked-on, almost as if it's a teaser for some prequel game that's in the works.

Anyways, I've been playing the Japanese version for a couple days now, and aside from some annoying load times in between every single screen, it's a nice graphical and musical update to Silver Star Story. Yeesh, after the American version is released next year, I'm going to own ten versions of this game. Madness!

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Unfortunately, you only get to play as them for about ten minutes total, and only in battles. It's strange, because the Four Heroes scenario is the very first part of the game, and feels entirely tacked-on, almost as if it's a teaser for some prequel game that's in the works.

Anyways, I've been playing the Japanese version for a couple days now, and aside from some annoying load times in between every single screen, it's a nice graphical and musical update to Silver Star Story. Yeesh, after the American version is released next year, I'm going to own ten versions of this game. Madness![/QUOTE]

Two questions
1. A preview video I saw a while back had me worried that perhaps the game ran rather slowly. What are your thoughts?
2. Sega CD, Saturn, Playstation, GBA, PSP...do you own every version in Japanese and English? That's the hardest-core thing I've ever heard.

[quote name='SDC']Two questions
1. A preview video I saw a while back had me worried that perhaps the game ran rather slowly. What are your thoughts?
2. Sega CD, Saturn, Playstation, GBA, PSP...do you own every version in Japanese and English? That's the hardest-core thing I've ever heard.[/QUOTE]

1. I haven't noticed it running slowly at all, and no signs of slowdown whatsoever. Those loading times I mentioned before do get quite annoying when you're exploring towns, though.

2. I do! I really, really love the Lunar franchise, especially Silver Star and all its variations. I own every version of every Lunar game ever released in America and Japan.

I just got rid of my last copy of Silver Star Story. Final one I had was the GBA remake... I just gave it to a friend. I'm too nice of a person. >_>

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Unfortunately, you only get to play as them for about ten minutes total, and only in battles. It's strange, because the Four Heroes scenario is the very first part of the game, and feels entirely tacked-on, almost as if it's a teaser for some prequel game that's in the works.
[/QUOTE]

I had a feeling that would be it. It's still a fucking nice addition though.

god dammit, i dont have time for rpgs anymore. now im going to buy this, i know i am. and to make matters worse im probably getting the collectors edition.

i too am a sucker.

^ Ty, that's pretty cool to hear they are willing to do this for fans. This is only the second psp game to come out in the states with a bigger outer box correct?

[quote name='LostRoad']^ Ty, that's pretty cool to hear they are willing to do this for fans. This is only the second psp game to come out in the states with a bigger outer box correct?[/QUOTE]

Third, at least.
Atlus:
Prinny: Can I really be the Hero?
Persona PSP
(both contained the game and a CD only)

XSeed:
Lunar: Silver Star Harmony

I don't know of any others offhand.

CE?! Yay!

...I already had the regular edition preordered on Amazon. Guess I'll just have to jump on the CE when it's available.

Sweet. I'm down for a CE since it has the same price as a standard PSP game ($30 for the regular version, $40 for the CE).

[quote name='SDC']Third, at least.
Atlus:
Prinny: Can I really be the Hero?
Persona PSP
(both contained the game and a CD only)

XSeed:
Lunar: Silver Star Harmony

I don't know of any others offhand.[/QUOTE]

SMT:persona from Atlus came with one as well.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']god dammit, i dont have time for rpgs anymore. now im going to buy this, i know i am. and to make matters worse im probably getting the collectors edition.

i too am a sucker.[/QUOTE]

My replays of Lunar SSSC on the PSone were under 15 hours. My first playthrough when I was like 11 was 35. :lol:

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']A link to the Limited Edition preorder on Amazon for the lazy:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...t_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

I beat the Japanese version yesterday! Aside from some obnoxious loading for every new screen, and some weird issues with the arbitrary order in which characters attack (regardless of their speed), it was excellent. Looking forward to playing it again in a couple months.[/QUOTE]

Are there any specific changes or enhancements that caught your attention?

[quote name='SDC']Are there any specific changes or enhancements that caught your attention?[/QUOTE]

Hrm, not really, aside from the pretty new graphics and the music remixes. The entire game plays out exactly like Silver Star Story after the short Four Heroes scenario at the beginning (which has *no* relation to the rest of the game - it's a very strange addition). The battle mechanics are exactly the same also, only with the addition of an "Arts Gauge" (think Limit Breaks), which lets you unleash some pretty powerful, cheap moves that make boss fights a bit easier. Bromides are still present, though a few are obtained in different ways (they switched up a few of those that were basically impossible to get without a guide).

I just thought it was fun to revisit the game again, since it's been years since I played it in one of its many other incarnations. Aside from the load times, this is probably the best version available, and hopefully the English translation will do it justice.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Arts Gauge was in the GBA game.[/QUOTE]

Ah yeah, I thought I remembered something like that. I played the Japanese version of that one, too, before the English one came out. I was so appalled at Ubisoft's crap-ass translation that I never finished playing through it again.

I imported the GBA version before it was announced for the US. I've played Lunar so many times that I didn't even really pay attention to the dialogue in the US version.

Glad to hear it at least stacks up to the original and gladder to hear it's better in some ways. I don't think I need the C.E. (original PS1 C.E. was pretty cool) but I'll think about it.

Oh crud. I just saw an add for this in the Playstation magazine.

Unfortunately I no longer own my SegaCD or that copy :( That was my favorite. DAMN I would buy a new SegaCD in a heartbeat and a ton of games if I could. Saturn too :(

I own both Playstation 1 games, and I suppose I'll be preordering the collector's edition for this (one of the few games I'd be doing that on).

*BUT* I have serious concerns about it, and half wonder if I shouldn't. I'm sorry but Lunar = Working Designs, and I can't imagine this with different, probably terrible voice acting, and without that attention to detail :whistle2:/

But resisting this would be even harder than all the will power I had to use to resist that DS game.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Oh crud. I just saw an add for this in the Playstation magazine.

Unfortunately I no longer own my SegaCD or that copy :( That was my favorite. DAMN I would buy a new SegaCD in a heartbeat and a ton of games if I could. Saturn too :(

I own both Playstation 1 games, and I suppose I'll be preordering the collector's edition for this (one of the few games I'd be doing that on).

*BUT* I have serious concerns about it, and half wonder if I shouldn't. I'm sorry but Lunar = Working Designs, and I can't imagine this with different, probably terrible voice acting, and without that attention to detail :whistle2:/

But resisting this would be even harder than all the will power I had to use to resist that DS game.[/QUOTE]

Well on the bright side, without WD, it'll have less fart jokes. I loved WD back in the day but they did love inserting quite a bit of toilet humor in their translations.

Alex is Yuri Lowenthal (guy who's an anime VA, played Ben Tennyson in Ben 10 alien force, and also played in Star Ocean 1). I knew his voice from the get-go, I also do not like the new girl's singing the opening, I prefer the original song, or at the original song's singer. I am not a fan of Nall's new voice. Its Spike Spencer who I am a huge fan of, but the voice does not fit the itty bitty body.

[quote name='SDC']Demo is out in the US store. Just started it. The opening song has been redone. I want a cast list yesterday.

http://www.lunarsilverstarharmony.com/

Oh man it is gonna be so great. I'll buy this a hundred more times if they keep remaking it.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't expecting a demo. Dammit... I need to dig out my brother's PSP and play it. Man, I wonder if that thing still works... neither one of us have played it in ages.

Hopefully they re-make Eternal Blue as well. I've been meaning to re-play a few of my old PS1 RPGs but remakes make things much more convenient.

BTW, whatever happened to Lunar 3? I remember them announcing a Lunar game on the PS2 back it was originally released but nothing's come of that announcement. I know it's no longer coming but anyone know why?

Someone said Studio Alex doesn't exist anymore :(

I guess I should really download the demo. Hmm...I guess that guy on Alien Force is okay (although the original Ben 10 was better IMO, at least as far as I could watch Alien Force before I got rid of cable).

Holy shit, the new lyrics for the main theme are horrible.

"Far away, farrrrrrrrrrrrr away"

Who the fuck wrote this? :lol: Victor Ireland am cry.

Other voices as on the site:
Alex- Not bad. Fairly close to the O-Town guy.
Luna- Nooooo. Does not sound like Luna. Her voice sounds like a bitch. Luna must sound innocent.
Nall- People were bitching about this on NeoGAF, but honestly I don't think it's bad. Nall is a male after all. It's just a different interpretation from the super-squeaky voice from WD.
Ramus- Sounds fine.
Nash- Doesn't sound right. The voice just doesn't seem to fit him.
Mia- Did they get the same person to do this voice? Seems very possible. Sounds almost identical to the original. Yay.
Jessica- Sounds very much like the original too. More yay.
Kyle- The clip on the site is of him drunk, so can't say too much about his voice. But he speaks too fast for a drunk guy.
Mel- Again very much like the original, but maybe slightly less gruff? Same guy maybe?
Lemia- Sounds too young to me.
Ghaleon- FFFFFFFFFF It just isn't the same without John Truitt. He WAS Ghaleon.

Overall, not too horrible. Could be a lot worse, but it could be a lot better.

I can't imagine what this must be like for Vic Ireland and friends :whistle2:/

Song's not as atrocious as I would have feared, although...

Okay, yeah, Ben Tenason as Alex is okay.
Luna-YUCK-you're totally right Dead, she's completely wrong. At least that's my first impression, but...well maybe it'll work in the context of the game.
Nall-okay I think
Ramus-different, but probably okay
Nash-first impression, I hate it
Mia-sounds great
Jessica-I think it works
Kyle-atrocious. Pain.
Mel-eh, gets the job done, I guess :whistle2:/
Lemia-I agree, she sounds too young though at least isn't terrible
Ghaleon-I'd like the original, but actually this guy seems to be doing it right from that clip. Far from the worst (except of course he's one of the most important so if it doesn't work...)

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Holy shit, the new lyrics for the main theme are horrible.

"Far away, farrrrrrrrrrrrr away"

Who the fuck wrote this? :lol: Victor Ireland am cry.[/QUOTE]

You must not be familiar with the Japanese lyrics, then. The new version is much more accurate.

Most of the character voices are a bit closer to their Japanese counterparts as well, though Nash is... wow, no. I'm willing to give Luna the benefit of the doubt for now, since it's not so much the voice as her intonation for the one line (her Japanese voice is often abrasive and bitchy, too), and I can probably get used to Nall. Everyone else seems to be just fine.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']You must not be familiar with the Japanese lyrics, then. The new version is much more accurate.[/QUOTE]

Sure it's more accurate. The lyrics just don't sound as good in English. Thus why Vic changed that shit.

[quote name='dead of knight']sure it's more accurate. The lyrics just don't sound as good in english. Thus why vic changed that shit.[/quote]

+1 :)

As far as I'm concerned, a translated 'thing' can be it's own thing when it comes over here. Could be better or worse than the original, and I have no problem with a story being gutted and rewritten. If this is more of just a translation, that might be interesting for comparison's sake, but Working Designs wrote some really magical stuff.

Heck, I remember Albert Odyssey (possibly spelled wrong). It looked really good because it was one of the last 2D games prior to the (hopefully ending) drought of 2D, but I bet that would have been horrifically boring/generic without their work.

Post on NeoGAF summed it up perfectly:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19320312&postcount=488
Also, when you direct translate a song and then need to shoe horn lyrics into lines to make it fit... What an amateur move.

Also Victor Ireland confirmed himself that the only returning VA is Jenny Stigile, who did the singing and Royce in SSSC. Confirmed that she did the opening theme for the PSP version at the least, dunno about Royce:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19321229&postcount=491

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, when you direct translate a song and then need to shoe horn lyrics into lines to make it fit... What an amateur move.
I remember thinking the song in Alundra suffered particularly from this. And that was Ireland's work, if I'm not mistaken.

bread's done
Back