Lunar The Silver Star Remake Coming To PSP

I don't recall this much outrage when Lunar Legend was released, and that thing was a fucking abomination!

I have a feeling that some people will be determined not to like this, regardless of how good a job Xseed has done on the localization, and Victor Ireland being a fat baby about the whole thing doesn't help. The intro is fine - it's just different from what you're used to. I also expect much better voice acting this time around, since most of the Working Designs cast was, at best, amateurish.

Well I don't think so, and this cast so far sounds between equal to to far worse, depending on the character.

And yeah, the GBA/DS ones...but I think it was easier to ignore those. I mean no one took them seriously.

Planning on downloading the demo once I finish Assassin's Creed Bloodlines.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']I don't recall this much outrage when Lunar Legend was released, and that thing was a fucking abomination!

I have a feeling that some people will be determined not to like this, regardless of how good a job Xseed has done on the localization, and Victor Ireland being a fat baby about the whole thing doesn't help. The intro is fine - it's just different from what you're used to. I also expect much better voice acting this time around, since most of the Working Designs cast was, at best, amateurish.[/QUOTE]

There wasn't any VA in Lunar Legend.

Oh I'm still getting this, and I'm sure I'll enjoy it. I'm a Lunar whore. So much so that I got both the Japanese and English versions of Lunar Legend. And enjoyed them. And then I also actually finished Lunar DS. I'm just doing some pointless bitching about it because I'm bored and because I'm used to the original VA after playing it god knows how many times (has to be over 5 times).

And yes, Victor Ireland is a big, fat, whining crybaby.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Holy shit, the new lyrics for the main theme are horrible.
Luna- Nooooo. Does not sound like... Doesn't she have something of a mean streak?

[quote name='Dead of Knight']There wasn't any VA in Lunar Legend.

Oh I'm still getting this, and I'm sure I'll enjoy it. I'm a Lunar whore. So much so that I got both the Japanese and English versions of Lunar Legend. And enjoyed them. And then I also actually finished Lunar DS. I'm just doing some pointless bitching about it because I'm bored and because I'm used to the original VA after playing it god knows how many times (has to be over 5 times).

And yes, Victor Ireland is a big, fat, whining crybaby.[/QUOTE]

I was referring to Legend's translation, which was all kinds of atrocious. I've already seen complaints about the translation quality of this remake, which from what I've seen so far, is just fine. People seem predisposed to bitching before there's much to bitch about, and that just rubs me the wrong way.

Anyways, I understand where you're coming from, having also played this game into the ground about a billion times, but I'm genuinely looking forward to some (mostly) better voice acting this time around, now that the wooden delivery of the Working Designs cast is out. I'll always miss John Truitt, though.

I'll just say that I finished the demo and can't wait for this game to be out. I hardly played any RPGs last year, but this year looks like it's going to be very different.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']I was referring to Legend's translation, which was all kinds of atrocious. I've already seen complaints about the translation quality of this remake, which from what I've seen so far, is just fine. People seem predisposed to bitching before there's much to bitch about, and that just rubs me the wrong way.

Anyways, I understand where you're coming from, having also played this game into the ground about a billion times, but I'm genuinely looking forward to some (mostly) better voice acting this time around, now that the wooden delivery of the Working Designs cast is out. I'll always miss John Truitt, though.[/QUOTE]

Yeah Lunar Legend's translation was pretty atrocious, but I'd already played SSSC a million times before so it didn't bother me so much. What I was saying with the voices is that most people can't yet bitch about the translation since much of the game has yet to be revealed, but voice clips of almost all the characters are already posted on the website for everyone to bitch about. And Legend had no voices to bitch about.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Kirin Lemon'] The intro is fine - it's just different from what you're used to. I also expect much better voice acting this time around, since most of the Working Designs cast was, at best, amateurish.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. I listened to both the WD version yesterday and the new version. I was surprised to hear it's the same woman singing (though I can hear that now), but that just fits in nicely to what I'm about to say.

They're different aspects of the same thing. The WD lyrics scan a lot better, but they also don't really say a lot -- they favor easy rhymes and romantic cliches over what the original song actually had to say.

Don't get me wrong -- I am very fond of the song, but lyrics like:

"In your dreams, love is the plot carried on wings of hope"

I mean, it's pretty and it rhymes, but what is it saying and what does it have to do with the game? Not much either way.

Also, the WD versions weren't completely without clunky lyrics:

"Each of our souls intertwine when we do"

Uh, what? Our souls intertwine when we...intertwine. Well, duh.

The new song is certainly clunkier in the lyrics department, but the words at least describe the game. The original lyrics could describe any number of games or movies or anime.

Which is better? Depends what you want: poetry or authenticity. This is not a black-and-white question, either, and has a long history (and baggage) in anime.

That brings us to the singer. In the WD version, she's less polished but has a good, honest voice -- in other words, perfect for Luna. Now, she has more technique, but uses that technique to make the song more emotional. Also perfect for Luna, but in a different way. Same singer, but she's grown and changed and wants to bring something new (and yet thoughtful and respectful) to the song.

Which is better? Hard to say. And it's always hard to accept change.

But I think it's good to hear new translations and attempts at localizations and see what they bring to the table. It's the balance between faithful in meaning and elegant in English, and that can be really challenging.

Me, I'm looking forward to the Boat Song, and will probably buy the CE just for the soundtrack. That alone sold me on the original.

I'm fine with new voice actors. I enjoyed the demo. The localization seemed just fine to me.

One thing I've never understood is how many people "enjoyed" the VA's for SSSC. Most of the lines were cringe-worthy, IMO. Hopefully a new cast can make me feel not so embarassed when people hear that coming from the PSP. :lol:

Grr, I want the CD/bromides, but I need a PSN copy not a UMD copy! Why can't they give a download code option, or a buy-the-Ce contents option!

Hmm...I played through to Quark on both the PSP and PSX versions.

The voices and translation on better on Silver Star Story, period. I don't know how there's any comparison, unless you like Luna sounding bitchy or whatever. The personalities are both sweeter and come through better with the WD translation. (Though having Ben Teneson voice Alex is definitely not a terrible idea.)

Graphics have been totally redone...more advanced now, though not 100% better. And the overworld's been removed, which is a bit odd.

All in all...well I think WD would do a much better job with it, but it's still classing looking. Reminds me that we desperately need more 2D games! (And turn based RPGs, and strong stories...)

I guess I'll preorder, though I still feel weird about it. Not sure...

Can anyone talk about Growlancer Generations? I see I can still get a new copy, and since that's Working Design's last game...

I just usually suck at strategy RPGs.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Is there any news on what the bonus is for beating the demo and transferring that save to the full game?[/QUOTE]

Apparently the clear data will unlock some kind of bonus equipment.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Is there any news on what the bonus is for beating the demo and transferring that save to the full game?[/QUOTE]

It's a weapon, the Silver Darts, which give +8 to attack and +16 to magic defense, and have an added sleep effect. They're useful up through Meribia, and you can't actually buy them until late in the game, for a somewhat high price. If you load the demo data, Alex's father gives them to you near the beginning of the game.

[quote name='Rig']One thing I've never understood is how many people "enjoyed" the VA's for SSSC. Most of the lines were cringe-worthy, IMO. Hopefully a new cast can make me feel not so embarassed when people hear that coming from the PSP. :lol:[/QUOTE]

It's true, the voice acting by the Working Designs cast was mostly terrible. I think these people are operating on nostalgia, and not reality.

Do you have to start from where the demo ends? Or can you repeat it and still get the equipment?

And anyone have any Growlancer Generations thoughts? :D

I just wanted to update some who were unsure of a DD release, so i shot XSEED an email asking! Here is the response! Good news for us GO owners!

From XSEED Games
to James
date Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 7:57 PM
subject Re: Lunar: Silver Star Harmony

hide details 7:57 PM (1 hour ago)

Hello James,

Yes, our current plan is to release a digital version of Lunar: Silver Star Harmony on the PlayStation Store at the same time as the UMD release.

Hope this helps.

Ken @ XSEED Games
The Sky Crawlers: Innocent Aces taking flight soon! www.skycrawlersinnocentaces.com
Have 30 seconds? You can still complete a full RPG! www.halfminutehero.com
Sign up to receive e-mail updates from us at http://www.xseedgames.com/signup.php
- Show quoted text -

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Victor Ireland is such a fucking mega-ego crybaby. :lol: But I like how someone on NeoGAF talked him down to size:
Vic's post: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19344676&postcount=513
Pwnage: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19348922&postcount=531

Seriously, XSeed is one of the most competent JRPG localizers right now, probably right behind Fatlus as the best. Vic Ireland is just upset they didn't want his megaton ego involved. Wehhh wehh wehh.[/QUOTE]

Ahahaa, that's pretty great. I had no idea Ireland was such a fucking whiner until a couple days ago.

I heard the reason that Gran Turismo 5 got delayed from March is because someone said the words VICTOR IRELAND in the building.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']It's a weapon, the Silver Darts, which give +8 to attack and +16 to magic defense, and have an added sleep effect. They're useful up through Meribia, and you can't actually buy them until late in the game, for a somewhat high price. If you load the demo data, Alex's father gives them to you near the beginning of the game.

It's true, the voice acting by the Working Designs cast was mostly terrible. I think these people are operating on nostalgia, and not reality.[/QUOTE]

That's fighting words right there. Truit is the only man that can play Ghaleon properly.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']It's a weapon, the Silver Darts, which give +8 to attack and +16 to magic defense, and have an added sleep effect. They're useful up through Meribia, and you can't actually buy them until late in the game, for a somewhat high price. If you load the demo data, Alex's father gives them to you near the beginning of the game.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='SDC']Apparently the clear data will unlock some kind of bonus equipment.[/QUOTE]
Thanks. I like when developers give some incentive to play their demos before buying the games (Patapon, Patapon 2).

[quote name='Paco']That's fighting words right there. Truit is the only man that can play Ghaleon properly.[/QUOTE]

If you read my other posts, you'll see that I'm a huge Truitt fan. But you should also realize that while he did an awesome job, his Ghaleon was nothing like the original Japanese voice. The new voice actor is nailing the Japanese voice perfectly, however.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Victor saying Fatlus is copying his old business model:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19353949&postcount=560

weh weh weh

EDIT:
Vic's lame response:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19354478&postcount=571[/QUOTE]

Biggest whiner ever.

Perhaps he forgot a key part of Fatlus's business model: Actually getting games out within 5 years of acquiring the licenses for them. And not being a whiny asshole because Sony is blocking release of your shitty, outdated acquisitions.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Perhaps he forgot a key part of Fatlus's business model: Actually getting games out within 5 years of acquiring the licenses for them. And not being a whiny asshole because Sony is blocking release of your shitty, outdated acquisitions.[/QUOTE]

For serious.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']Definitely buying this so I kill the damn bone dragon without it fucking freezing!!!!(shakes fist at Sega CD version).[/QUOTE]

You're in luck, that boss doesn't exist anymore!

This post in this thread on Gamefaqs is incredible:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=960180&topic=53126661
To be honest, I'm not inclined to believe much of what Victor Ireland says. He's straight-up lied in interviews plenty of times. Remember when he claimed that GameArts liked WD's addition of needing to play the harp at the end of Silver Star on the Sega CD so much that they incorporated it into the Japanese remake? Or the fiasco with the Dark Scimitar?

Plus, for all the good Working Designs did, they didn't exactly treat GameArts with much respect in their localization of the Sega CD games. The GameArts logo was completely removed from both games' intro sequences, and WD's name was plastered all over the packaging, giving the impression that they'd developed it themselves. And they did that for a lot of games. I would never go into business with this guy.

And don't even get me started on Gaijinworks. The fact that he would deliberately name his company that is insane. It would be like naming an American company Negroworks.
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Is that true about removing the Game Arts logos and shit? That's one of the sleaziest things I've ever heard of, goddamn.

I knew perfectly well the originals were developed originally by Gamearts back when they first came out. If they altered something, it's not like it was a secret. And I've never played anything I've liked from Gamearts that wasn't handled by Working Designs for what that's worth.
I'm getting tired of this Working Designs bashing. They've got some absolute killer cult classics, and theyr'e whey we started getting decent translations from other companies. Before them (and for years after them) everything was Japan-o speak.

What exactly does Vic Ireland do these days? Is he living off of the money he makes by selling those sealed copies of Lunar, Growlanser, etc. with his John Hancock?

[quote name='Wolfpup']I'm getting tired of this Working Designs bashing. They've got some absolute killer cult classics, and theyr'e whey we started getting decent translations from other companies. Before them (and for years after them) everything was Japan-o speak.[/QUOTE]

I don't think we're bashing Working Designs so much as we're bashing Victor Ireland, and his huge-ass ego. It's pretty obvious what a slimy twat he is at this point, and his company was driven into the ground due to his own incompetence.

I also don't buy into your "Without Working Designs, we wouldn't have decent translations!" bullshit. The evolution of the industry and games themselves brought about better translations, period.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']I don't think we're bashing Working Designs so much as we're bashing Victor Ireland, and his huge-ass ego. It's pretty obvious what a slimy twat he is at this point, and his company was driven into the ground due to his own incompetence.

I also don't buy into your "Without Working Designs, we wouldn't have decent translations!" bullshit. The evolution of the industry and games themselves brought about better translations, period.[/QUOTE]

This, this, and this. I played and loved many WD games, and I still replay them to this day. It's just Victor Ireland is an incredible douche.

[quote name='Vinny']What exactly does Vic Ireland do these days? Is he living off of the money he makes by selling those sealed copies of Lunar, Growlanser, etc. with his John Hancock?[/QUOTE]

You mean those games he found IN HIS CLOSET? :lol:

He has this supposed company now, Gaijinworks, as alluded to in my previous post. Supposed because they've only translated one shitty game (Miami Law) in the many years since the company was announced. It took Vic three years to even land a localization job, probably because his douchiness and tardiness was well-known throughout the industry. They are supposedly handling games for Sunsoft, but nothing specific has been announced yet. The best thing about the whole Miami Law thing is he himself only rated the translation they did a 7/10. :lol:

I don't understand where the nickname Fatlus came from. As much as they've grown they're still pretty niche.

The idea of any developer going to neogaf brings to mind the image of a zebra drinking water at the crocodile filled watering hole. I don't have much sympathy for Ireland.

Also DoK does have a point. Luna's voice reminds me of Lucy Van Pelt for some reason. All the other voices sound really good to me as someone who never played the Sega CD or PS games.

[quote name='DQT']I don't understand where the nickname Fatlus came from. As much as they've grown they're still pretty niche.
[/QUOTE]
From this:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=358586
yourealreadyfat.png

[quote name='DQT']
The idea of any developer going to neogaf brings to mind the image of a zebra drinking water at the crocodile filled watering hole. I don't have much sympathy for Ireland.
[/QUOTE]

Heck, back in the day, he used to post on usenet.

Spent the past hour trying to get the demo to work on CFW but to no avail. I think I'll just download a demo save file... I at least have high hopes I can just buy the game and play it on my CFW without problems.

I'm not seeing what Ireland's saying that's so bad. It just sounds like typical "I'm going to bash a creative guy 'cause he's speaking publicly and I'm going to nitpick it" type thing to me.

[quote name='Wolfpup']And I've never played anything I've liked from Gamearts that wasn't handled by Working Designs for what that's worth.[/QUOTE]

Then you have never played Grandia, obviously.

[quote name='Wolfpup']I'm not seeing what Ireland's saying that's so bad. It just sounds like typical "I'm going to bash a creative guy 'cause he's speaking publicly and I'm going to nitpick it" type thing to me.[/QUOTE]

If you can't see it, you might be retarded.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Actually yes, I have...[/QUOTE]

So much for "might be"...

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Victor saying Fatlus is copying his old business model:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19353949&postcount=560

weh weh weh[/QUOTE]

To be fair, he is not wrong. WD really did popularize "special editions" and "extra content." Not only of games themselves, but they were also the first to produce hardcover strategy guides, which are now a commonplace part of large releases. Ireland may sound whiny, but that is one point I don't think can be refuted.

Of course, I think it is easy to say now that current-day Atlus is doing a better job at localization than WD did in its heyday. It seems to remain true to the spirit of the originals while injecting time-sensitive jokes, but nobody seems to complain. Although, I think there is also far more acceptance for time-sensitive and referential humor now than there was in the early/mid 90s.

Loved SSSC back in the day and I'm looking forward to playing through this. What a great idea to include physical versions of the bromides as a bonus!

[quote name='SDC']Although, I think there is also far more acceptance for time-sensitive and referential humor now than there was in the early/mid 90s.[/QUOTE]

Since WD's demise, I can't remember any jokes about the current president or rock stars put into RPGs. Maybe there have been, I certainly haven't played every RPG in the last 10 years. But those really always rubbed me the wrong way.

RPGs should be an escape from the news and constant political stuff (which admittedly, can't be avoided in almost any other form of entertainment either, but that's still annoying, I think). It's not so much that it eventually becomes dated, just that it's in there in the first place.

I finally got around to playing the demo and my god... that intro song is awful. I actually skipped it after hearing the first two lines. You guys weren't kidding about it sucking. And I'm not sure I like the new voices... and I wish the videos were widescreen (I take it that they just used the PS1 versions?).

I get a feeling that this is going to be one of those remakes where the nostalgia of the original (well, not really... since the PS1 version was a remake itself) might prevent me from enjoying the remake.

[quote name='Vinny']I finally got around to playing the demo and my god... that intro song is awful. I actually skipped it after hearing the first two lines. You guys weren't kidding about it sucking. And I'm not sure I like the new voices... and I wish the videos were widescreen (I take it that they just used the PS1 versions?).

I get a feeling that this is going to be one of those remakes where the nostalgia of the original (well, not really... since the PS1 version was a remake itself) might prevent me from enjoying the remake.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately they did just use the PS1 cutscenes. Quite a shame, considering the rest of the game looks outstanding. The cutscenes aren't BAD looking, but it is obvious they are old.

As for the intro song, go to the official website for the game. Honestly, with both verses together, I think it has more to do with the actual game. The lyrics might not be BETTER than WD's translation, but I don't think they are bad. or really, any more awkward.

I've been thinking if they're going to have Luna sound like that, they should have just gone all the way, make her sound like this gruff six pack smoker.

I was trying to think of a comparison, and realized she should sound like Marge Simpson's sisters, only throw in a cough after every other sentence :lol:

[quote name='DiscoJer']Since WD's demise, I can't remember any jokes about the current president or rock stars put into RPGs. Maybe there have been, I certainly haven't played every RPG in the last 10 years. But those really always rubbed me the wrong way.

RPGs should be an escape from the news and constant political stuff (which admittedly, can't be avoided in almost any other form of entertainment either, but that's still annoying, I think). It's not so much that it eventually becomes dated, just that it's in there in the first place.[/QUOTE]

Since Working Designs demise, I've actually become accustomed to getting my games on time rather then a few years late.

bread's done
Back