Lunar The Silver Star Remake Coming To PSP

This game makes me wish I had a PSP.... I just don't care for portable gaming. Still I could see myself buying a PSP at some point in the future just to play this game. Isn't there a way to play a game on your T.V. using the PSP? I am also hoping they announce a true sequel for the PS3.

[quote name='leeloo1977']This game makes me wish I had a PSP.... I just don't care for portable gaming. Still I could see myself buying a PSP at some point in the future just to play this game. Isn't there a way to play a game on your T.V. using the PSP? I am also hoping they announce a true sequel for the PS3.[/QUOTE]

As long as you don't get the original PSP 1000, you can get AV cables that will hook to your TV.

Ow, my eyes. Guess I shouldn't of been playing this at night with the lights off. the four heroes special attacks killed my eyes with all those flashes.

So I popped it in last night and played for several hours, the nostalgia was definitely overwhelming. I didn't find the load times that bad, but the last PSP game I played was the BoFIII import, so nothing would seem bad after that.

The only thing that pissed me off was them changing the words to the opening theme, which just seems dumb. I'm sure at some point I'd read an explanation as to why, but I can't remember it, maybe it was a rights issue? No better explanation I can think of.

Sad Piano Theme better make the cut:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTbedt3GUD0

Enjoying it so far, but can't say I've gotten to far. The Four Heroes bit left quite a bit of an opening for a possible prequel...

[quote name='Draccius']Enjoying it so far, but can't say I've gotten to far. The Four Heroes bit left quite a bit of an opening for a possible prequel...[/QUOTE]

It was cool being able to play as them, for sure.

I was tempted to let Ghaleon die. :D

Question: did they fix the problem with the tiny bars which appear on the left and right side of the screen during gameplay?

I am NOT talking about the bars which appear during the the cutscenes... those I can understand since they took the original 4:3 cutscenes from SSSC. I'm talking about the very tiny bars which appear on the sides of the screen whenever there's a conversation going on but go away when the conservation is over.

I just go mine but haven't opened it since I'm a bit busy right now. The package is very nice though.

[quote name='Vinny']Question: did they fix the problem with the tiny bars which appear on the left and right side of the screen during gameplay?

I am NOT talking about the bars which appear during the the cutscenes... those I can understand since they took the original 4:3 cutscenes from SSSC. I'm talking about the very tiny bars which appear on the sides of the screen whenever there's a conversation going on but go away when the conservation is over.

I just go mine but haven't opened it since I'm a bit busy right now. The package is very nice though.[/QUOTE]

No, and I don't think that's an actual "problem," per se. I think it's an intended attempt to make dialog a little more cinematic.

[quote name='Draccius']No, and I don't think that's an actual "problem," per se. I think it's an intended attempt to make dialog a little more cinematic.[/QUOTE]

Oh... I don't get how that makes it more cinematic because it's pretty annoying and keeps distracting me.:lol:

Thanks!

[quote name='Vinny']Question: did they fix the problem with the tiny bars which appear on the left and right side of the screen during gameplay?

I just go mine but haven't opened it since I'm a bit busy right now. The package is very nice though.[/QUOTE]

Still has those, and I agree, it's retarded. It shows up when you open chests too. Also, black backgrounds during special attacks is retarded. The game is SO graphically intense, you know, it just HAS to have slow ass load times and only one background used during special attacks.

I didn't play much last night, but plan to play more tonight. What I played though left a foul taste in my mouth, and it's not the translation or the voice acting. Though I wish XSEED had fixed the things I mentioned above during localization.

[quote name='Vinny']Oh... I don't get how that makes it more cinematic because it's pretty annoying and keeps distracting me.:lol:

Thanks![/QUOTE]

You think that's annoying? The battles are the most annoying thing I've ever seen. Who the hell decided that EVERY SPELL has to make the screen go black and do SHINING EFFECTS? Perfect for triggering epilepsy.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Still has those, and I agree, it's retarded. It shows up when you open chests too. Also, black backgrounds during special attacks is retarded. The game is SO graphically intense, you know, it just HAS to have slow ass load times and only one background used during special attacks.

I didn't play much last night, but plan to play more tonight. What I played though left a foul taste in my mouth, and it's not the translation or the voice acting. Though I wish XSEED had fixed the things I mentioned above during localization.[/QUOTE]

That's one of the GOOD things to come out of Irelands delays. He oftentimes fixed up Japanese shit like this. The original Lunar only had THREE save slots. Ireland moved it up to 15 "an entire memory card" another thing he did was sometimes fix load times, made battles quicker and so forth.

If Ireland had his hadns on this. We'd be playing it in 2011. He would have fixed a lot of shit though. Maybe even redrawn a background.

[quote name='Paco']That's one of the GOOD things to come out of Irelands delays. He oftentimes fixed up Japanese shit like this. The original Lunar only had THREE save slots. Ireland moved it up to 15 "an entire memory card" another thing he did was sometimes fix load times, made battles quicker and so forth.

If Ireland had his hadns on this. We'd be playing it in 2011. He would have fixed a lot of shit though. Maybe even redrawn a background.[/QUOTE]

I know that. I don't miss Vic's translation and voicework. I do miss him fixing up the games.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I know that. I don't miss Vic's translation and voicework. I do miss him fixing up the games.[/QUOTE]

He delayed the original Lunar so he could have Myght fart. But yeah I do miss his fixing up of menus and loading time.

So far... I think Jessica's voice is the only one that is an improvement over the Vic Ireland voices. All the other ones are worse, whether that means very slightly worse or "holy shit" bad.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']This is just fucking atrocious:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyxI4bInxe4[/QUOTE]

Okay, I was steeled for the worst.

It's, um, not that bad. In some ways, it's pretty good.

This is from someone who bought the Sega and PS1 versions because of the Boat Song. I also arranged it and learned to play it on piano long before that was fashionable. I even used it at an audition.

In short, I've always loved this song.

That said, the new lyrics, while clunkier, are closer to the Japanese original. And you get the whole song.

The WD version of the song scans a lot better (though it's not free of clunk, either. There are a couple of lines that are fucking hell to sing well). But it's more sugary and favors cliche over substance. The Japanese version is more hesitant, more wistful, and less melodramatic.

While I am disappointed that someone didn't spend a little longer fixing a few of the lines that don't scan at all, it isn't atrocious. It's different, for sure. But, like the opening, it trades some of the poetry for actual emotion.

I guess I will have to pick this up. Damn.

I think I'm gonna wait for a $20 offer. I've never played any Lunar game before so I think I can wait a little longer. Besides I still have both Star Ocean's and FF2 to finish.

[quote name='Gden']Just trying to get a confirmation, but are the load times of this game any good, or bad?[/QUOTE]

They're horrible. Especially if you have an older PSP. If you get it on PSN or have a 3000 they are not bad at all. On my 1000 though it's a joke how bad it is.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']They're horrible. Especially if you have an older PSP. If you get it on PSN or have a 3000 they are not bad at all. On my 1000 though it's a joke how bad it is.[/QUOTE]

Dang, all I have is the phat and I'm not a fan of getting them off the PSN usually

[quote name='Josh5890']Dang, all I have is the phat and I'm not a fan of getting them off the PSN usually[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's pretty horrible. If I didn't get the LE I definitely would have gone for the PSN version. It's really bad for us phatties. Paco has a 3000 and the load times are signifcantly reduced. Sucks ass. I don't have a problem with most games because most decent games don't screw phatties over this badly.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Yeah, it's pretty horrible. If I didn't get the LE I definitely would have gone for the PSN version. It's really bad for us phatties. Paco has a 3000 and the load times are signifcantly reduced. Sucks ass. I don't have a problem with most games because most decent games don't screw phatties over this badly.[/QUOTE]

LOL You think Lunar loading is bad on the Phat? Dissidia is far worse on the phat then on the later iterations. And I'm not talking a few seconds of loading times either.

But I would love to have the PSN version to get rid of the loading times on the UMD one, but I think it's tolerable. Though the 3-4 hour battery life is NOT tolerable when playing Lunar.

I have a PSP 2000, and I don't think the loading times are bad. A second or two for some things, at most.

Granted...the only other PSP game I have played is Half-Minute Hero...so maybe other games load much faster than Lunar? *shrugs*

The little loading times don't really bother me that much. So far I'm at the Old Hag's Forest, and I'm really enjoying this version of the game. Now if only they did the same thing for Lunar 2.

[quote name='Rig']I have a PSP 2000, and I don't think the loading times are bad. A second or two for some things, at most.

Granted...the only other PSP game I have played is Half-Minute Hero...so maybe other games load much faster than Lunar? *shrugs*[/QUOTE]

This was what I was waiting to hear, as I have a PSP 2000.

[quote name='Rig']I have a PSP 2000, and I don't think the loading times are bad. A second or two for some things, at most.

Granted...the only other PSP game I have played is Half-Minute Hero...so maybe other games load much faster than Lunar? *shrugs*[/QUOTE]

I have a 2000, and I think the load times are pretty nasty, especially when you first boot the game up.

Does anyone like the new voice work, between this and the long ass load times this is starting to bug me. Just to many changes for this game to really pull me in. I went in looking forward to a nostalgic experience but I am left with a bad taste in my mouth.

I don't know what to think of the new music or voices. It's been so long since I've played either the PS1 or the SCD versions.

I feel myself waxing nostalgic for this game, although I'm not sure if I like how they have the layout of the towns in this game.

The battles seem like they really slug along, especially after I'm spoiled with Dragon Quest IV & Vs speedy battles.

What is the demo save supposed to unlock? I didn't notice anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='2DMention']I don't know what to think of the new music or voices. It's been so long since I've played either the PS1 or the SCD versions.

I feel myself waxing nostalgic for this game, although I'm not sure if I like how they have the layout of the towns in this game.

The battles seem like they really slug along, especially after I'm spoiled with Dragon Quest IV & Vs speedy battles.

What is the demo save supposed to unlock? I didn't notice anything.[/QUOTE]

Demo unlocks Silver Darts (weapon for Luna). You can purchase them later in the game, but by then, they aren't really that great.

i got a quick question. i have Lunar on the PS1 (both Lunars) and have yet to play them. should i play Lunar on my PS2 or get the remake on PSP?

[quote name='sublime90']i got a quick question. i have Lunar on the PS1 (both Lunars) and have yet to play them. should i play Lunar on my PS2 or get the remake on PSP?[/QUOTE]

I'd play the PS1 version. It loads faster and the music is better. Though the PSP one isn't that bad, and supposedly it's another remake so there may be storyline changes. Haven't really seen em thus far though.

[quote name='sublime90']i got a quick question. i have Lunar on the PS1 (both Lunars) and have yet to play them. should i play Lunar on my PS2 or get the remake on PSP?[/QUOTE]

The game is fantastic either way. I've been pretty impressed with the new graphics and the new layouts for areas (the perspective for Meribia is totally different, but the city is laid out in roughly the same manner, for instance).
These days, I much prefer playing RPGs on handhelds, so if you share that trait in any way I'd strongly recommend the remake. But if you don't care about graphics or portability, the original is equally outstanding.

Don't be discouraged by people complaining about the voice acting or translation though. The PS1 version (Working Designs' translation) and voicework is beloved more out of nostalgia, if you ask me. Nash and Nall are equally annoying in both versions. So far most of the other characters are fine by me, and the translation is relatively similar (though slightly more literal, and because of that perhaps slightly more awkward).

I'd say play it on PSX. It's a retro JRPG through and through, and the old-school tile background graphics just fit the experience better IMO.

Some bonus impressions 1/2 way through:

-You get way too much money from enemies, but it seems to be just enough to buy new equip when you need it.

-Seeing enemies on the screen is kinda pointless as you usually can't run away from them anyway.

-Battles seem a little too easy.

[quote name='SDC']The game is fantastic either way. I've been pretty impressed with the new graphics and the new layouts for areas (the perspective for Meribia is totally different, but the city is laid out in roughly the same manner, for instance).
These days, I much prefer playing RPGs on handhelds, so if you share that trait in any way I'd strongly recommend the remake. But if you don't care about graphics or portability, the original is equally outstanding.

Don't be discouraged by people complaining about the voice acting or translation though. The PS1 version (Working Designs' translation) and voicework is beloved more out of nostalgia, if you ask me. Nash and Nall are equally annoying in both versions. So far most of the other characters are fine by me, and the translation is relatively similar (though slightly more literal, and because of that perhaps slightly more awkward).[/QUOTE]

As a huge Lunar fanboy...

I agree. WD's dub was not very good, IMO.

That being said, I don't think you could go wrong playing either one. The PS1 version would be what I would play...but that's 'cause I don't really like handhelds.

i dont know if its just cause i no longer like the PSP or what but i can not get into this game... Yet i can play junk on the DS ...

Will just toss this on the back burner along with all of the other RPG games i have for the PSP (ie star ocean 1 and 2 to name a few)

fucking game just froze on me in the middle of battle in the final fucking dungeon. Opened the UMD drive like I normally do when this happens, did nothing, had to reset. fuck. I lost maybe 15-20 minutes of progress but every minute of gaming is precious to me during busy season at work. :(

Done. The game was wayyy wayyy wayyy too easy. I skipped most of the battles I could in the final dungeon and still beat the final boss in like 5 rounds. :lol: Many of the voices are atrocious (NALL, Dyne, Royce, Luna) and the rest are just average. The load times suck as I've already mentioned, especially if you have a 1000 like me. The only things they bothered actually adding to this game is the 20 minute prologue at the beginning (the voices and dialogue are seriously god-awful in that) and one 1-minute sequence in the middle of the game with the same characters as the prologue. This game isn't worth it if you have already played the PSone version. Newcomers may just not get why Lunar is so beloved by so many if they start with this one, though.

One particular thing that made me go WTF though:
Black Dragon Grief now gives EXP when you beat enemies with it. And it still costs the same. WTF :lol:

bread's done
Back