popemogoth

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
Madden_NFL_09_Coverart.jpg

Release Date: August 12, 2008
Official Website: http://www.easports.com/madden09/

Features:
  • Level the Playing Field - An all-new Adaptive Difficulty Engine assesses your proficiency in the core skills areas of football, then tailors the experience to match your playing style. An innovative, all-new Virtual Training Center allows you to fine-tune your game in a holographic environment, while EA SPORTS BackTrack provides customized feedback, giving you a chance to learn from your mistakes. Then, take what you’ve learned and run the play again with EA SPORTS Rewind.
  • Beyond Broadcast Presentation - Set your sights on the Vince Lombardi Trophy in an all-new network television-style broadcast as Cris Collinsworth and Tom Hammond call the action from the booth. A more immersive and visually stunning presentation package also includes a new Options OnDemand Picture-in-Picture playcall window giving you access to a wealth of stats, customized tips, and in-game options - all at your fingertips without having to pause the game.
  • Online Leagues 2.0 - Make a run for the postseason for the first time online. Featuring trades and statistical tracking for Online Leagues, up to 32 teams can battle it out using all-new flex scheduling.
  • A New Look and Feel - With an enhanced graphics engine and new player models, linemen battle in the trenches with more bulky physiques while backs and receivers fly around the field with a more sleek and slimmer look. Featuring the most realistic-looking grass and field turf ever in a sports game, new weather and stadium lighting effects, and active exterior stadium views, Madden NFL 09 is hands down the best looking sports game ever made!
  • Most Authentic Gameplay Ever - Built from the ground up, an all-new Total Control Animation System allows for instantaneous combo moves while bringing new aspects to the game, including missed field goal returns, bobble catches, wrap-up/break-out tackles, user controlled celebrations, and more.

I think they're just doing all they can to break the cover jinx. No way Favre misses time with an injury this year. :lol:

Well, he did get injured, but he was bound to since he likes to scramble out of the pocket.

I'm still wondering why they call the game Madden now since it looks like they took him out of the game completely now, unless they still put his sound bytes for the "Ask Madden" stuff. =p

Tom Hammond? Seriously? Just give me Al Michaels if you're gonna give me some commentators. Or steal Peter and Dan from the 2K series.

[quote name='popemogoth']Didn't happen for Vince Young did it?[/quote]

He was injured, I dont remember exactly what the injury was though...he missed like three or four games mid-season.

[quote name='assasin4hire']He was injured, I dont remember exactly what the injury was though...he missed like three or four games mid-season.[/QUOTE]

Nope... He missed the week 7 game at Houston, and that's all.

[quote name='DomLando']Cris Collinsworth and Tom Hammond are doing the commentary???? Terrible![/quote]

Ouch. That just hurts. Hammond is terrible.

It could be worse. They could feature SportsCenter with Sean Salisbury (I know he doesn't work there anymore) doing post-game analysis. Then, when you go to check your phone/e-mail messages, you have a "progress report" or something from Salisbury which turns out to be a large photo of his cock.

[quote name='Matt Young']It could be worse. They could feature SportsCenter with Sean Salisbury (I know he doesn't work there anymore) doing post-game analysis. Then, when you go to check your phone/e-mail messages, you have a "progress report" or something from Salisbury which turns out to be a large photo of his cock.[/quote]

"Hey wait, why does my progress report show me a picture of salisbury steak? And where's the mashed potatoes and gravy?"

Salisbury got booted off ESPN.

I actually don't mind no commentary because after one game, they repeat the same shit.

Cris Collinsworth blows though.

I'm glad they ditched the radio play-by-play guy though. For a game that touted "realism" especially graphically, it was such a weird dichotomy having what sounded like an AM broadcast.

The online league feature seems like it'll be great for organizing a CAG league. That at least has me interested in purchasing a Madden for the first time in a decade.

We have to do CAG Madden leagues. The universe depends on it. Since 2004, I've split the cost with my brother and bought on day 1, and this is no exception.

Bumping this up for the launch of the game. Got my copy last night and it seems pretty good so far, though I've got a few beefs right now. Is there a way at all to download the new rosters manually? I lucked out in that just creating a test league and dissolving it seemed to cause the automatic roster update, so I lucked out, but I don't want to be forced to play somebody online just to have accurate rosters. The other beef is with the shitty menu system that disappears all the time, putting the responsibility of bringing it back up on me, which is stupid to me. After playing NCAA 09, which takes 2 minutes at least for the main menu to show up when booting up the game, I literally sat for a few minutes waiting for the damn menu to pop up when I realized it's been ready all along, but was hiding.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Bumping this up for the launch of the game. Got my copy last night and it seems pretty good so far, though I've got a few beefs right now. Is there a way at all to download the new rosters manually? I lucked out in that just creating a test league and dissolving it seemed to cause the automatic roster update, so I lucked out, but I don't want to be forced to play somebody online just to have accurate rosters. The other beef is with the shitty menu system that disappears all the time, putting the responsibility of bringing it back up on me, which is stupid to me. After playing NCAA 09, which takes 2 minutes at least for the main menu to show up when booting up the game, I literally sat for a few minutes waiting for the damn menu to pop up when I realized it's been ready all along, but was hiding.[/quote]

I noticed the demo was set for widescreen tvs and I wondered if that's changeable in the game's settings? I have a standard tv and it can't change for a widescreen setting.

The only way to download rosters is to start a RANKED game apparently....same approach the past few yeras. I will be getting my CE tonight.

[quote name='Jagged Toaster']I'm going to go out to buy it in an hour. This will be my first current-gen Madden. I'm excited.[/quote]

Me too

I'll probably go pick it up at lunch. I'm waiting to read more feedback from folks that are playing it already. I'm still down about the way they handled the online leagues.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Bumping this up for the launch of the game. Got my copy last night and it seems pretty good so far, though I've got a few beefs right now. Is there a way at all to download the new rosters manually? I lucked out in that just creating a test league and dissolving it seemed to cause the automatic roster update, so I lucked out, but I don't want to be forced to play somebody online just to have accurate rosters. [/quote]

Found this on the EA site where they have the option to download the updated cover with Favre in the Jets uniform.

We also invite fans to get today's new online roster download. Available for Xbox 360, Xbox, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 2 and Wii versions of the game, this new roster download features Favre as the starting quarterback on the New York Jets and is available today as an automatic download when you play an online game. For fans not playing online, Favre is on the "NFL Greats" roster. In Franchise Mode, players can transfer Favre to the free agent roster pool, and pick him up on any of the 32 NFL teams for the 2008 season.

So yeah, it looks like you have to do an online game for the roster updates.

Got the game yesterday new roster update is online.

Heavy Snow
Animation
Dirty Jerseys
Detailed Stadiums

Dislikes:
Very Glitchy
Same boring Menu
Presentation not so in depth
When its snowing inside the stadium it's sunny outside during stadium fly by

Missing:
NFL Network
In depth Highlights Show
Tony Bruno Radio Show
League Stats Tracking
Sports Illustrated weekly reports
Owners Mode

What happened to the advance clock feature that advanced the game and play clock after you picked your play? How about being able to use any face/shoulder button for playcalling like NCAA 09? I'm disappointed by some of the small features that seem to be missing.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']What happened to the advance clock feature that advanced the game and play clock after you picked your play? How about being able to use any face/shoulder button for playcalling like NCAA 09? I'm disappointed by some of the small features that seem to be missing.[/quote]If you hold Ltrigger you can then select a play with the face buttons.

[quote name='DT778']If you hold Ltrigger you can then select a play with the face buttons.[/quote]
Thanks, though I was hoping for something that was more automatic than that.

The accelerated clock is going to be in the next patch, which was supposed to be released today? I forgot, but it's going to be in a patch.

Got my copy of the CE. I'm too lazy to put the disc in though.. haha, mainly because I can't decide whether to play Madden or Head Coach. =x

Didn't know they included the Highlights feature that NCAA's had since last year, though it doesn't seem as polished as it was in NCAA 09. Pretty cool.

[quote name='shinryuu']The accelerated clock is going to be in the next patch, which was supposed to be released today? I forgot, but it's going to be in a patch.

Got my copy of the CE. I'm too lazy to put the disc in though.. haha, mainly because I can't decide whether to play Madden or Head Coach. =x[/QUOTE]

I won't have my copy for about 2 and a half hours. How's the packaging? Are the games in 2 separate cases, held together by a box?

It's like one, foldable box, but the plastic inside is a case in its own (if that makes sense). In other words, it clicks when you open/close it. There's another cardboard box you put it in, and a plastic sleeve to put over the whole thing. Meh, does the job. I'd like it if it was in two packages, just because I like the Madden/HC covers over the big, boring XXs.

got disconnected on 3 of the 4 games I tried playing online last night, neither of us quit, just got random connection errors out of no where.

[quote name='shinryuu']It's like one, foldable box, but the plastic inside is a case in its own (if that makes sense). In other words, it clicks when you open/close it. There's another cardboard box you put it in, and a plastic sleeve to put over the whole thing. Meh, does the job. I'd like it if it was in two packages, just because I like the Madden/HC covers over the big, boring XXs.[/QUOTE]

It kind of reminds me of the Lord of the Rings Extended Editions Boxes....where you have a sturdy outer box and the one that slides into it. I have yet to play it, I may start with Head Coach until the Rosters are a little more settled. Opening Day rosters are ideal for me.

[quote name='doubledown']It kind of reminds me of the Lord of the Rings Extended Editions Boxes....where you have a sturdy outer box and the one that slides into it. I have yet to play it, I may start with Head Coach until the Rosters are a little more settled. Opening Day rosters are ideal for me.[/quote]
They released a roster today. You have to join a ranked match to download them.

Just read a thread on OS about the patches/DLC. Here. =p

i think one of the reasons for them getting rid of the advance the play clock option is now there is about 10 times more stuff you can adjust at the line this year. I'm not 100% sure but thats how I rationalize it.

^eh, I guess. Though the CPU rarely gives you the chance to adjust when you're playing D.

I played my first game as the Texans vs. Jets (w/ Favre). I was bringing it in the first half with a nice TD pass to Andre Johnson and brought up the chains consistently. 10-3 at halftime. Brett Favre gets mad and throws two TDs. Back at the 4th, trying to catch up, I move up to the endzone and score with Andre Johnson again on a curl route with two DBs on him. Crazy. OT, Jets D sacks me twice and Jets become unstoppable.

Crud, haha. I couldn't run the ball at all in that game too, but for some reason they fell for PAs in the game. =p

Shit, my Madden IQ is low, as in 500 or a little less. The tests are too hard. I have been really good at the last 2 Maddens, and I've dominated the CPU on MySkill so far.

I just started a franchise with the Packers. I have never played a preseason game, thinking it to be pointless, but this year is different. I'm playing to get a feel for my young guys, particularly the QBs.

Haha I got 518 on my IQ test. I don't think I even got any points for the pass D. I doubt I'm that bad though. Shhzz, playing online is such a mixed bag. I usually get someone too good, or someone absolutely retarded. I think I'll start on HC tomorrow. =p

The game's great so far, but the 2 times I tried to play FrankySox, we were disconnected in the 1st quarter despite both still being in our private chat together. Strangely, the games (ranked) did not count toward our online records, but when I checked my record in the showcase, it stood at 4-0-1. I had only played 3 offline games. The scores for the last 2 were listed as 7-0 and 7-7 even though they didn't count toward the online records.

I'm done for the night. I got the game shortly after 7 P.M. It's now 2:05 A.M. I just finished my 4th and final preseason game (6th overall, not counting the 2 unfinished online games) 5 minutes ago. I went with the default preseason depth charts and played Rodgers in the first half of each game, Brohm in the 3rd quarter, and then I subbed in Matt Flynn for the 4th.

As an aside, Brett Favre will miss the Jets' first 5 games with a dislocated elbow.

I'll have to give it more time, but so far this game seems to be better than both Madden 08 (best Madden ever till now) and NCAA 09. Great game. And I haven't even touched on anything outside of 2 exhibition and 4 preseason franchise games! Tomorrow, the regular season- and Head Coach, which I haven't even popped in yet- awaits.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the Favre on Jets update come as you turn on the game like a normal update?
Because I never got that and I started a Vikings franchise and Favre wasn't on the Jets or Packers.

EDIT: Is it just me or does every team have the same damn playbook? I've played as the Vikes, Jags and Titans (for achievement) and they ALL have the same playbook.

[quote name='doubledown']The only way to download rosters is to start a RANKED game apparently....same approach the past few yeras. I will be getting my CE tonight.[/quote]

If it's the same as before, which it looks like, you only need to attempt to start a ranked game. Before the game starts (when it shows the controller selection screen) the game will prompt for the roster download then. After it downloads, just exit out of the game before it starts while you're still at that controller selection window.

Edit: My Madden IQ is around 600 (I've played the original 1989 Madden, then Madden 93-96 on the SNES, then 01-06 on the PS2, finishing with a touch of 07 on the 360 before my EA boycott) but I'm having problems running the football. First preseason game was 10-0 defensive struggle win over KC with my only TD being a catch and run by Hester. Traded Grossman and 2nd round draft pick for Brady Quinn. We'll see what happens in the next 3 preseason games.

This is the first EA developed or published product I've bought new in 2 plus years. I think it's finally a true "next-gen" version of Madden and they're finally doing things 2K did with ESPN NFL 2K5. There's still room for some improvement (Sportscenter/NFL Primetime at halftime/end of week?!) but this will probably be my only version of Madden I buy this generation.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Azumangaman']Does the Favre on Jets update come as you turn on the game like a normal update?
Because I never got that and I started a Vikings franchise and Favre wasn't on the Jets or Packers.

EDIT: Is it just me or does every team have the same damn playbook? I've played as the Vikes, Jags and Titans (for achievement) and they ALL have the same playbook.[/quote]

I play with the Panthers all the time but I was tried a few of the moments(one of them as the Panthers) and when I tried some with the Dolphins and Packers, their playbooks were different.

bread's done
Back