Major Earthquake in Japan (CheapyD & Family are OK)

[quote name='daphatty']I'm 6'3" and Cheapy is taller than me. I'd say he's closer to 6'4"-6'5".[/QUOTE]

Damn. My husband is 6' and was pretty tall in Japan.

[quote name='Feeding the Abscess']I know it's not exactly an easy thing to do, with family, career, life, etc, but I'd get the hell out of there. Go to New York, man. Post-haste. 1 hour of radiation exposure within a ten mile radius is the equivalent of 1 year's worth in normal conditions, according to world news sources.[/QUOTE]

Go take a look at a map of Japan. He's nowhere near that close to the reactor. If things get worse, sure, but as of right now he's probably ok.

[quote name='daphatty']I'm 6'3" and Cheapy is taller than me. I'd say he's closer to 6'4"-6'5".[/QUOTE]No wonder he sticks out in a crowd in Japan. I'm right around 6' 3" - 6' 4", myself.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Go take a look at a map of Japan. He's nowhere near that close to the reactor. If things get worse, sure, but as of right now he's probably ok.[/QUOTE]I think if things get much worse than they are and the winds start shifting the wrong direction, then there might be an issue, though that's a very slim chance of happening. It does sound like things are getting better and not worse with the reactors, so I think this isn't something he would need to worry about.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Damn. My husband is 6' and was pretty tall in Japan.

Go take a look at a map of Japan. He's nowhere near that close to the reactor. If things get worse, sure, but as of right now he's probably ok.[/QUOTE]

holy crap youre a chick ? i thought you were a guy. btw cool psn name the anime and korean version drama are very good.

[quote name='lokizz']holy crap youre a chick ? i thought you were a guy. btw cool psn name the anime and korean version drama are very good.[/QUOTE]

"Super bitch" and a female DQIV avatar didn't clue you in? Also, no man should ever have anything related to that manga/anime as a username in the first place.

As the "other" tall bald white guy around here, I feel an increasing urge to visit Japan. Although not at this particular moment.

Anyway...

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/03/12/japan.quake.nuclear.failure/index.html?hpt=T1

The possibility - and apparent increasing likelihood - of not one but two or even three meltdowns is incredible. Even before the nuclear issue was factored in, the damage from this was going to be felt for a long, long time. It's almost unfathomable how it could still get worse.

Many prayers and sympathy to the people of Japan and Cheapy's family glad to hear they are ok. Have 2 friends over there myself and was worried sick bout them. Just now heard from them both they are ok but they said they got rattled bad but not too bad.

I have a 11 minute slideshow that I posted on my CAG blog. I had uploaded it to Youtube. The pictures on that show a lot of the devastation that happened there. My uncle who works for Cendant/PHH Mortgage in New Jersey was supposed to fly to Japan on a business trip, but that has been postponed due to the tsunami. My friend's church is sending people on a mission trip to Japan and I might be on that flight. My name is on the list, if they draw my name out of the fishbowl, I'm going.

I was worried for a while but my in-laws and extended family who live in Tokyo are fine. I have a few friends in Japan who I can't get in contact with yet. I hope they're okay. All this radiation stuff on the news has me questioning my trip to Tokyo next month. I'm just worried about taking my 8 month old.

[quote name='ITDEFX']I wonder if Cheapy and other Jap Cags can post pictures of their surrounding areas.[/QUOTE]

These before/after pics from google Earth are devastating to say the least.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/events/japan-quake-2011/beforeafter.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Its truly unreal that this is happening in Japan right now. Glad Cheapy and fam are safe for now, but what are the prospects for the future, is there a way we can help besides just donating to "some random charity"......are there specific ones we can throw dollars at that will really get aid to the people???

[quote name='TC']Cheapy are you aware of this person? He was promoting cheapassgam3r. :D

[/QUOTE]

Wow. How is that even possible?!

I'm glad to hear CheapyD and family are ok. My prayers go out to all the people in Japan. I can't even imagine what they must be going through.

[quote name='TC']Cheapy are you aware of this person? He was promoting cheapassgam3r. :D

[/QUOTE]

I'm jealous of his hairline. Not jealous of the "h" in his name.

A few questions for Cheapy

-How far are you from the nuclear plants that have been damaged by all of this?

-Do you feel that the government will be ordering an evacuation of your area very soon?

-Can you leave Japan at all, or has all modes of transportation been shut down due to damage to roads/tracks and so on?

-Are you off and on with Power and safe water?

[quote name='ITDEFX']Jav do you really need this in this thread?[/QUOTE]

Probably not... but where else would it go? I'll just link to it and remove the video from the thread.

EDIT: I can't link to the video without it appearing. Oh well. I thought it was fascinating that some nutjobs out there would think that the tsunami/earthquake was a blessing from god.

Where would be the right place to discuss all the fallout - Gilbert Godfried's tweets. etc.?

[quote name='javeryh']Probably not... but where else would it go? I'll just link to it and remove the video from the thread.

EDIT: I can't link to the video without it appearing. Oh well. I thought it was fascinating that some nutjobs out there would think that the tsunami/earthquake was a blessing from god.

Where would be the right place to discuss all the fallout - Gilbert Godfried's tweets. etc.?[/QUOTE]
You do know that she was obvious trolling, right? All of the videos she posts are all for the sake of trolling, except this one got more attention then she wanted.

[quote name='javeryh']

Where would be the right place to discuss all the fallout - Gilbert Godfried's tweets. etc.?[/QUOTE]

The OTT...

Thanks for taking it down though..

Well now there is a concern that cost of certain electronics may go up OR be in short supply. I am not surprised, since all the cool shit comes out of Japan. Heck I wouldn't be surprised if the 3DS launch was delayed.

I am pretty sure our government has a few satellites watching those reactors right now. Based on what the news is reporting, I am pretty sure the government knows things are worse than before.

Not only do they make great, inexpensive clothes (got some during my Japan trip), they're also fucking awesome:

http://nymag.com/daily/fashion/2011/03/uniqlo_donates_17_million_to_t.html?mid=373062&rid=422524581

Tadashi Yanai, founder and president of Fast Retailing, which owns Uniqlo, will give $12.2 million from his own pocket, while Uniqlo will give $4.9 million. "Uniqlo will also distribute coats, jeans, towels and 300,000 pairs of its Heattech thermal underwear to victims, representing an additional $8.6 million of aid," Time adds.

So they're donating over $25 million worth of money and clothing. Yes they are rich as fuck but that's still huge and I hope more companies follow their lead. I know andriasang.com has a list of gaming companies that are donating money, though it's still nowhere near this donation.

After hearing from my friend in japan, It just hit me you would've been there cheapy. It's great news to hear you and your family are safe. Best wishes for you and everyone affected.

I have to admit that I didn't check here first, and PM'd Cheapy out of sheer instinct and habit of checking out other boards first. Sorry Cheap. But very happy to hear that you and your family are OK. But I'd be lying if I said that my concern for you guys are 100% quelled.

IMO, if you guys haven't made an attempt to already, is to leave Tokyo, if not Japan altogether; if only for a while.

That GE Mark I reactor is basically a dirty bomb of mass proportions waiting to go off...and based on numerous credible sources like Michio Kaku, it is an inevitability that will bring a catastrophic situation worse than Chernobyl if those core/active fuel rods/depleted rods are not cooled...and the expectations are logically grim.

My hope in this post is that you, Dave, along with your family, and as many others escape any kind of further danger. If you can find any way...get out.

May G-d bless you and keep you all safe.

[quote name='VipFREAK']Well this is nice...

http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-03-canadian-nuclear-leaked-radioactive.html[/QUOTE]

"The event was a low level regulatory event with only negligible effect to the environment and no public health implications," Ontario Power said in a statement on Wednesday.

. . .

The Canadian commission on nuclear safety also said the risk to the environment and human health was "negligible."

Nothing to see here. Move along, move along.

Hia Cheapy.

Alle the best to you and your friends and family.

In Norwegian TV they are saying that the wind from the nuclear disaster has been very preferable to Tokyo and that the radiation has blown away from the inhabitated areas so far.

But they also said that this is bound to change and that also that the reactors are very likely to goto a melt down. This information is from the "Norwegian Radiation Office" which assesses radiaton dangers after the Tchernobyl accident in Sovjet.

So they expect the wind to change towards Tokyo and they expect the reactor to melt down and spread very much more radiation.

What i wonder is if you dont consider taking a vacation in america with your family? Im not sure how Osaka is placed compared to the acciden, but americans and norwegians at leaast have a dim view on the nuclear situation. Id be more relaxed if i knew you took all the best precautions possible in this situation before anything untowards should happen.

Also the rifts in the underground (that broke during the earthquake) are also said to possibly break near Tokyo - with 8.0+ earthquake possibilities. The rifts in the underground are ofcourse under stress since it broke into the earthquake it did. But many geologists have said that the aftershakes could create a major earthquake in Tokyo.

I hope you go home to USA with your family for a bit, or at least take extreme percautions. I am very worried for you.

T.

okay this is just a stupid question but i had to ask it cause im stupid..i dont even know if japan is allowing imports

my cousin buy alot of stuff from over there (pokemon cards , video games, ect )

was just wondering what are the odds of these items having enough Radiation on them to set off . since there are some reports people coming out of japan are setting these off in the airports

Radiation Detectors at the airports.... Probally no chance but dont feel like having the FBI kicking my doors in wondering what i have coming to my house that is setting off Radiation Detectors at the airports..

then again maybe they stopped shipping items out but was just wondering

Thanks again

nevermind was something on the fox business channel about how they might delay mail over there for a few weeks....

been my luck i would been walking around in my underwere the cops bust though the windows and i be on FOX Cops :)

New quake with an estimated 7.4 magnitude ~20 minutes ago off the coast of Honshu. Fukushima is expecting another tsunami.

Is that a joke? Who doesn't use Drudge for news now? At any rate, they reduced the magnitude to 7.1 and doesn't seem like there's much cause for concern.

bread's done
Back