Marvel Puzzle Quest Discussion Thread

I haven't gotten any Punisher covers out of this. Plenty of damn Captain America ones though. (Which I've quickly sold)

Oh yeah & no lie, I saved up about 7 standard tokens. Almost crapped my pants when I got a green grey suit black widow on my last pull.

When it comes to standard tokens, do you guys prefer 25 hero points or a 2-3* character? I'm getting mostly the hp than a better character; aside from that widow pull I mean.

You guys have a ton better luck than I have had with the covers. Since this event started, I have not actually pulled a decent/usable cover once. The only covers that have been worth anything to me since this event started were the Punisher covers that you get as rewards, the Hulk event cover (which I got a few minutes in), and a Magneto daily reward cover. My last round of 11 standard tokens, I pulled 7 MBW, 2 Yelena's, a Modern Hawkeye, and 25 HP. That basically sums it up for all the tokens I get. The Heroic tokens seem to give me Modern Hawk and Cap 90% of the time (one of which I actually used for a respec, since I never get 19 yellow saved up anyway).

I wish they would've kept the rewards like they did on day 1 of this event, meaning that placing 600th or higher in an event would net you a Pumped Up Hulk Event character cover.

Speaking of covers, I need one more black move for my 2 star widow and I kid you not, SEVEN times now this week I have gotten her purple move SEVEN TIMES.

What. The. Hell.

I feel like my luck in the packs these past two weeks has drastically gotten way worse. 

Speaking of covers, I need one more black move for my 2 star widow and I kid you not, SEVEN times now this week I have gotten her purple move SEVEN TIMES.
How are you trying to build your Original Black Widow? I have her at a 4/5/4 build right now. Because of the healing properties I naturally maxed out the Blue skill. Purple & black I so far have kept at 4, I may drop purple by 1 and move it to black. I just dont see the extra damage from the black skill to be worth taking away from the stealing. I know that I wouldnt waste the 5th slot on the purple power, I steal enough purple through the black skill.

Damn guess I couldve read the thread discussing it first for others opinions on it. Linky

This event has been a great ISO boost, Original Black Widow and Classic storm are now sitting at level 85. Makes me feel like I can compete against the other level 85 classic storm, wolverine, thor, original black widow teams now.

I would take Widow purple covers. I would take any widow covers. I can't catch a single cover I need for the life of me. I wonder if they have something in the code that tells the game whether you've spent money on it or not. If you haven't you keep getting the same BS covers - ones you don't want or ones you don't need.

I would take Widow purple covers. I would take any widow covers. I can't catch a single cover I need for the life of me. I wonder if they have something in the code that tells the game whether you've spent money on it or not. If you haven't you keep getting the same BS covers - ones you don't want or ones you don't need.
Lol, I just did the same thing. Now Im thinking about respecing my OBW, then I started reading on Classic storm. All those covers I threw away, I coulve had the perfect builds..... :bomb:

How are you trying to build your Original Black Widow? I have her at a 4/5/4 build right now. Because of the healing properties I naturally maxed out the Blue skill. Purple & black I so far have kept at 4, I may drop purple by 1 and move it to black. I just dont see the extra damage from the black skill to be worth taking away from the stealing. I know that I wouldnt waste the 5th slot on the purple power, I steal enough purple through the black skill.

Damn guess I couldve read the thread discussing it first for others opinions on it. Linky

This event has been a great ISO boost, Original Black Widow and Classic storm are now sitting at level 85. Makes me feel like I can compete against the other level 85 classic storm, wolverine, thor, original black widow teams now.
Damn.

Well I have her 5/5/2 right now but after reading that thread I will gladly change her to 3/5/5 if I can ever get more of her black move!

Haha thanks for the info

Another Cap, another Modern Hawk. Just another day in my MPQ account.
Saved up 5 standards, all 1 stars....yep just another day in MPQ. How many Venoms and Yelena's can you sell in a day?

The 2 heroic tokens I got was a mixed bag, 1 forgettable 2 star card. I dont even remember what, had a spare purple marvel now magneto, so maybe that was it. 2nd heroic token was a gold shield emblem, I was so excited. Tapped the Screen, 3* Red Ragnarok cover. I dont know if I should laugh or cry to that. Needed it, but really, Ragnarok?

*Edit* Dammit Shouldve used that Magneto Marvel Now purple cover and dropped my blue down one level.... Purple has been the hardest cover for me to get for him too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your mixed bag would be a great big pile of sunshine for me. I have yet to pull a Rags, and my MN Mags could use more of anything. And a Gold Shield Emblem? I know what you're talking about, and I know they've only been around for about 36 hours, but I don't think I will ever see one. Ever. If I didn't love D3's RPMatch3 format so much (and Marvel), I would've stopped playing this weeks ago based on my cover luck alone.

Yeah, I think I got maybe one cover I didn't sell off during this whole Hulk Event.

I really wish they'd change the tournament structure too. There's nothing worthwhile being offered in this Hood tournament. And I'm sick of going up against the same 85 Storms, Thor, Wolverine and Black Widows every single time.

Yeah, I think I got maybe one cover I didn't sell off during this whole Hulk Event.

I really wish they'd change the tournament structure too. There's nothing worthwhile being offered in this Hood tournament. And I'm sick of going up against the same 85 Storms, Thor, Wolverine and Black Widows every single time.
None of these tourneys have been worth anything. I actually just kept retreating to lower my rank. Id rather win 3 standard tokens then 1 storm cover & Im not strong enough to even get the blue Iron man 40 cover I need.

Ive been reading if you do crappy in the tournaments (ie. keep losing battles) they will match you with players more your level. Ive put a crappy team together & trying it out. Black Panther, Bagman, & Bullseye are now running loose, Im wondering how many people beat the crap out of that team. Please be many.....

None of these tourneys have been worth anything. I actually just kept retreating to lower my rank. Id rather win 3 standard tokens then 1 storm cover & Im not strong enough to even get the blue Iron man 40 cover I need.

Ive been reading if you do crappy in the tournaments (ie. keep losing battles) they will match you with players more your level. Ive put a crappy team together & trying it out. Black Panther, Bagman, & Bullseye are now running loose, Im wondering how many people beat the crap out of that team. Please be many.....
Same here about the tournaments.

Haha and I am curious to see if your experiment with losing works

Same here about the tournaments.

Haha and I am curious to see if your experiment with losing works
Well I already was beaten 4 times & seeing a distinct improvement in enemies. Out of the 4 that attacked me only 1 had a level 85 Thor (with a level 77 moonstone?!?! who the fuck uses Moonstone in a Tourney?!?!?). The other 3 were between level 40-60. 1 Team was just made up of 1 star Iron man & storm (lower 40's) which I hardly ever get attacked by.

Anyone else play the steam version? They really made that unfriendly to new players. Ive got tons of 2 stars, with only 1 cover and no hero points to add slots. On top of that, with 1 cover I cant level up jack & get beaten easily. Im playing the prologue for some Hero Points but there's barely any. Cant do any tourneys with wimpy fighters. Im actually wondering why the hell I play it on steam.

Lol now that I think about it, I can relate to newer players because of this. However I still have some damn good luck on the steam account, got a green patch from a heroic token. Too bad I dont have room for it... Its sad when Captain America is one of your better 2 stars in your roster.

I was super busy a few days this week and didnt play at all and it shows : /

I am like right on the cusp of just getting one Thor. If I get more of those damn Wolverines... Ugh.

Plus I am at like 145000 and I dont think I am going to care enough at this point tonight to get up to 160000 for the final Punisher reward.

How is everyone else on this event now that it is about to end?

I played just enough to get a heroic token from every mini-event, which puts me in the bracket on the outside looking in. I'm sitting at around 11,000, working on the 120000 Punisher reward. Once I hit it, I'll call it a day. Don't think I'll have enough time to get to 160.

Since, I sold off my Black Panther I couldnt really compete in this event. I should be at the level to get all Wolverine covers, but no where near close enough for the new Thor.

It was a pretty good source for ISO. Got  Thor max leveled now, and did earn another Punisher cover.

Haven't been playing as hard as I usually do. Thanks to the bracket change Im usually in the top 100-200 daily. Still made it to 160k a couple days ago. For a hulk event I've gotten more punisher covers.
As much as I try to catch up Im stuck being ranked around 2k. So I guess 2 Thor covers it is.

Either my experiment worked or Im getting to be a better player. I'm in the top 5 of my bracket in the black panther tournament. Most people Im up against are actually beatable. Worst person I saw had a level 100+ punisher, but most were running teams with levels 50-85. I understand modern storms usefulness but she's not high enough for tournaments. Many teams I've fought had her & obw. Moral of the story, get a crap team, take a beating for a day, drops you down to fighting easier teams.

*Edit* Dammit, now Ive beaten too many weak teams Ive pushed myself back up. Im now getting matched against level 100 guys..... I knew once I hit #1 in my bracket it would happen.  Please shields hold up, only 9 hours left

Also thank you shields! I though you werent supposed to be attacked AT ALL when shielded. Im not losing any points when attacked thank god, but I didnt realize you get the points when you win (when Shielded).  I rarely use shields so this was a shock to me, as I said, I thought they just make you invisible to everyone else.

My 2 heroic token rewards were very good last night. Purple bag man, yeah I know he sucks, but I don't have him maxed yet. So it was a cover I could use. Next pull another great one, blue invisible woman. Finally I have 2 covers for her, even though she's fairly useless too.

People & tournaments man, I just dont get them.  Guy was shielded & dropped to #2 in our bracket.  He unshielded & got ahead of me by 18 points, retook the #1 spot & re-shielded.  We still have over 7 hours left in the tournament.  Personally Im thinking that guys a dumbass for wasting a shield, especially with so much time left.  People gotta learn, sure its nice to have a cover, but with so few, its not like having it makes a difference. 

I know I add way too much discussion to this thread.

Anyone else got the Free millions of Marvel #1s the gave away last year? If you did you can read what happens next when Osborn tells Daken to follow the Punisher after the last mission.

The link is here

I highly recommend reading it as the ending is just shocking!

People & tournaments man, I just dont get them. Guy was shielded & dropped to #2 in our bracket. He unshielded & got ahead of me by 18 points, retook the #1 spot & re-shielded. We still have over 7 hours left in the tournament. Personally Im thinking that guys a dumbass for wasting a shield, especially with so much time left. People gotta learn, sure its nice to have a cover, but with so few, its not like having it makes a difference.
That can be a good strategy. Sometimes when I am winning in a tournament I will still lose points because in the time I won my match two or three people will have beaten me.

That can be a good strategy. Sometimes when I am winning in a tournament I will still lose points because in the time I won my match two or three people will have beaten me.
Exactly, I was having this problem. While working up to #1 I was being beaten by 2-3 opponents during my 1 fight. Still, I dont see spending the hero points on a shield, then breaking the shield, and reshielding. Hero Points can be better spent on something other then shields.

I just checked & my shield is good for another 6 hours, I was attacked and won a round. Now Im 6 points away from #1, if I move past him I wonder if he'd drop shields again for another 10 points. It seems when you get up in those high ranks you only win ~15 points while you get defeated for 30+.

I'm currently 21st in the Hulk tourney so I'm assured a spot in the top 200. I haven't played since last night when I was 7th. The person currently in 1st is less than 3000 points ahead of me but there's really no point in playing.

And now this Jugernaut event. Which doesn't seem to offer much interesting in the way of rewards.

At least the Thor tournament offers me some Psylocke covers. I need her third power.

And now this Jugernaut event. Which doesn't seem to offer much interesting in the way of rewards.

At least the Thor tournament offers me some Psylocke covers. I need her third power.
You get an Unstoppable or better cover for hitting 16.5 K. (Of course, I got another Captain America. :wall: )You'll also probably get one of those hero's covers by finishing top 200 or better.

Both Unstoppable covers unlocked Capt America who I already have maxed... lovely.

The event ended with me in the top 10 though and so now my new 3 star Thor is at 30 with 1/1/2

I feel weird leveling him up though. He sucks in comparison right now to my 2 Star Thor haha

I actually managed to get a Modern Thor from the Unstoppable token. Didn't quite grind enough to place in the top 100 for an extra cover though.  I'll try harder on round 2. 

You are right, it does seem odd leveling this new  Thor up when there's nothing wrong with my 85 level Thor. If I had enough ISO to push him into the 100s, sure.

But his base moves are stronger than 2-star Thor. If they are both at level 85, Modern Thor should theoretically be much more powerful than his Marvel Now counterpart.

Right. But  level 85 2-star Thor is far stronger than level 25 (or so) 3-star Thor. i wonder at why point the curves intersect and Modern Thor overpasses the regular version?

Yeah but the issue is at what point are we going to have the covers and iso to get a modern Thor up to at least level 85?

It wasnt until the depowering of Thor/Wolverine before they started giving them away as much as Captain America.

Hell I still cant get another Blue cover for Iron Man 44 and he's almost always a tournament prize.

Modern Thor looks too Cartoony for me as well, like a overpowered plastic knock off Thor. 

Also the Juggs event is TOO limited on characters you can use.  I never knew how much I missed Original Black Widow until I couldnt use her.  No other powered up heroes but Modern Thor, which I guess they dont want us pumping iso into the powered up characters anymore. Except Modern Thor, which we dont have enough covers to power up completely anyways.

Im almost tempted to use the Iso on 1* Black Widow and Storm, but I know that would be a huge waste in the long run.

They're trying to get you to spend money. I think that's what it comes down to. They want you to buy more HP to try and get the covers that you want, which isn't guaranteed anyway, then if you do get lucky and get them, you want to pump your iso into them to get them leveled up. They're wanting you to buy that, too. 

And while most of us would rather just play the free part and deal with it, they're after the whales. There's a reason Vegas gambling moguls are being consulted on f2p models. (Relevant link)

Yeah but the issue is at what point are we going to have the covers and iso to get a modern Thor up to at least level 85?

It wasnt until the depowering of Thor/Wolverine before they started giving them away as much as Captain America.

Hell I still cant get another Blue cover for Iron Man 44 and he's almost always a tournament prize.

Modern Thor looks too Cartoony for me as well, like a overpowered plastic knock off Thor.

Also the Juggs event is TOO limited on characters you can use. I never knew how much I missed Original Black Widow until I couldnt use her. No other powered up heroes but Modern Thor, which I guess they dont want us pumping iso into the powered up characters anymore. Except Modern Thor, which we dont have enough covers to power up completely anyways.

Im almost tempted to use the Iso on 1* Black Widow and Storm, but I know that would be a huge waste in the long run.
I am hoping I should have a decently leveled 3 star Thor after this Juggernaut Event is all said and done. I already have 4 power points and he is level 30.

I also feel the character usage is far too limited. My Psylocke it not nearly powerful enough to do anything and so I am stuck with Thor, Capt and Wolverine for the whole thing. Usually I can at least swap between a couple characters. Plus all three of them use all the same colors basically...

And while most of us would rather just play the free part and deal with it, they're after the whales.
Yeah I know they are, but damn thats a lot of money to drop in hopes of getting a card. However in the Thor Tourney I was pitted against a guy who had a level 100+ Thor. Im like damn someone dropped some cash for that....or cheated.

I also feel the character usage is far too limited. My Psylocke it not nearly powerful enough to do anything and so I am stuck with Thor, Capt and Wolverine for the whole thing. Usually I can at least swap between a couple characters. Plus all three of them use all the same colors basically...
My Psylocke is at lvl 77, so she's decent but no where near as useful as she was when buffed. Im usually running with Modern Hawkeye, Thor, & Wolverine. I'll swap Hawkeye with Psylocke just for the use of black and blue tiles. Just for the sheer amount of high HP, I'll use Iron Man 40 from time to time. I rely on Thor mainly because he's buffed. I prefer using the Green tiles for Wolverine and getting strike tiles though. This makes Psylocke's red useless since she can only place 3 strike tiles on the board. I dont have any red powers for my Thor, so I primarily use him for yellow. No one really has a good yellow ability anyways, all the other guys use it for defense.

Side note, I finally got another black Original black widow cover, Shes now at 3/5/5. I kinda see a difference but not really. Espionage does add a little bit of an extra punch at 5, but the damage is negligible. Purple powers activate quicker though, so that was a plus.

I was attacked by this guy during a Punisher lightning round. Had to take my lumps with this one. :fridge:
tyBZdim.png

EDIT: Attacked twice! :???:

uGEJRug.png

This Thor tournament is making me realize how vitally important my 2* Thor is to my team. I don't have a leveled up OBW, and Cstorm can't take enough damage to make up for the shortcomings of everyone else. All I want is to be in the top 50, and I'm finding it pretty difficult to stay there without my level 85 Asgardian Mjolnir Wielder.

Now here's a thought that just crossed my mind.  Have the Devs realized that Daredevil just outright sucks more than any other character, except Bagman?

Think about it, whens the last time he was a prize? Or the last time you got him from a token?  Or better yet, how many covers of him do you have?  Psylocke is recent and mines at 4/3/4.  My Black Panther, new too, stands at 1/2/1. But my Daredevil? Who's been out much longer is pathetically just 1/0/1. Hell even my crappy bagman is at 5/2/5 and I dont get many of those.

In this even where you face more villains than minions wouldnt it be viable for Daredevil to be a chosen character? At least then youd want to pump some iso in him or something.  When a new character is released the following event features them as an essential character for select missions.  I think Daredevil had one, and it was against minions that wouldnt activate trap tiles.  Hell since Punisher's release he's had at least one essential mission per event.

Just food for thought, as I said, it just crossed my mind.  If any new characters get released & I run out of space, as it stands now, Id sell him off and keep a 1 star instead.

Also another Divine Champions tournament? Doom and Bullseye as prizes? I forsee little effort put in by me in this event.  As usual I'll get to 300 pts for that heroic token and quit. If Im lucky that will put me in the 3x standard token prize rank.

Now here's a thought that just crossed my mind. Have the Devs realized that Daredevil just outright sucks more than any other character, except Bagman?

Think about it, whens the last time he was a prize? Or the last time you got him from a token? Or better yet, how many covers of him do you have? Psylocke is recent and mines at 4/3/4. My Black Panther, new too, stands at 1/2/1. But my Daredevil? Who's been out much longer is pathetically just 1/0/1. Hell even my crappy bagman is at 5/2/5 and I dont get many of those.

In this even where you face more villains than minions wouldnt it be viable for Daredevil to be a chosen character? At least then youd want to pump some iso in him or something. When a new character is released the following event features them as an essential character for select missions. I think Daredevil had one, and it was against minions that wouldnt activate trap tiles. Hell since Punisher's release he's had at least one essential mission per event.

Just food for thought, as I said, it just crossed my mind. If any new characters get released & I run out of space, as it stands now, Id sell him off and keep a 1 star instead.

Also another Divine Champions tournament? Doom and Bullseye as prizes? I forsee little effort put in by me in this event. As usual I'll get to 300 pts for that heroic token and quit. If Im lucky that will put me in the 3x standard token prize rank.
I have thought the exact same thing of Daredevil since his release. I wasn't even excited about getting him because his moves are so garbage and now I have been tempted to sell him just to get the slot back. Those trap moves are the most stupid idea having very little actual benefit.

I have thought the exact same thing of Daredevil since his release. I wasn't even excited about getting him because his moves are so garbage and now I have been tempted to sell him just to get the slot back. Those trap moves are the most stupid idea having very little actual benefit.
I don't think his abilities are bad for a support character. A high level DD can hit for high damage, stun or steal alot of ap. The problem is that the traps' placement is random. His character would become useful if we were able to place the traps. It would add an element of strategy to his powers. That being said, I don't use my level 50 DD unless it's required. I sure wish I had those crystals back.

Well speak of the uh Devil....Ask and you shall recieve I guess.

Daredevil progression rewards, Daredevil required missions, all to receive a 3 star cap. Wow, just wow.

Of all the people to make a 3 star, one of the worst 2 stars.  Im all for another Captain America, but with different skills!

Im hoping if they make a 3rd Captain America it will be a Bucky Cap/Winter Soldier, with a different skill set.

So many other characters they couldve introduced besides steve rogers. Plus super soldier is released AFTER Dark Reign, once again I advocate more villains...where the hell is sentry and iron patriot.... (I know I always ask)

Oh and 9 days of simulator, whee! :whee:

Yeah, a 3 star Steve Rodgers seems pretty worthless. I would like to place in the top 75 and earn some Psylocke covers though.

Is this event bracketed or are you up against everyone?

Yeah, a 3 star Steve Rodgers seems pretty worthless. I would like to place in the top 75 and earn some Psylocke covers though.

Is this event bracketed or are you up against everyone?
This one is bracketed again, I think they decided that was more fair. Each simulator bracket is back to 200 each couple days & 1000 for the whole 9 days. I think many people are not gonna try as hard to complete or respec their Orig Black Widow as opposed to a 3 star cap. The rewards are only giving away 2 covers for him, even in the top 10, thats odd. Of course its the blue power they arent giving as well, the only one that was really worth anything.

With all these daredevil rewards I may do the no hold barred tourney just to get some more covers. Glutton for punishment I guess?

This one is bracketed again, I think they decided that was more fair. Each simulator bracket is back to 200 each couple days & 1000 for the whole 9 days. I think many people are not gonna try as hard to complete or respec their Orig Black Widow as opposed to a 3 star cap. The rewards are only giving away 2 covers for him, even in the top 10, thats odd. Of course its the blue power they arent giving as well, the only one that was really worth anything.

With all these daredevil rewards I may do the no hold barred tourney just to get some more covers. Glutton for punishment I guess?
They seem to be pushing the best rewards to the alliances.

They seem to be pushing the best rewards to the alliances.
Which sucks.

I am not sure if any of you guys joined mine but like it was me and my buddy and now we have 3 other people. I regularly finish in the very top of the events as does my buddy. Yet here we are with a total score where I contribute to over 1/3 of it and we will get no Alliance Rewards.

Our alliance is Cerebro. If you joined it awesome, glad to have you on board, just please play more hahah

I joined, but I'll drop out if you want. I definitely don't play as much as you do, and there's no way that I could. I'm sitting at 40,000 for the event, which is good for 235th in my bracket, but nowhere near good enough to help get anything for the alliance.

Wow, well in terms of the Alliance I guess I don't care because there is no way for us to succeed. I didnt realize you could buy more slots to your Alliance.

The top rank has 20 freaking members. Alliances with the standard 5 have no chance. That really makes me angry because I thought the Alliance stuff would be an even field but nooooooo who was I kidding of course they would want more money. Bastards

Money does rule all. I didn't realize that either, but I did remember reading something on the boards about adding slots. Which completely tilts the playing field.

Never mind the fact that everyone in that alliance has at least 3 level 100+ characters. Most have 6 or more. What a joke.

Here I am trying to finish between 76 and 100 in my puny little bracket so I can get 3 OBW covers. 

Money does rule all. I didn't realize that either, but I did remember reading something on the boards about adding slots. Which completely tilts the playing field.

Never mind the fact that everyone in that alliance has at least 3 level 100+ characters. Most have 6 or more. What a joke.

Here I am trying to finish between 76 and 100 in my puny little bracket so I can get 3 OBW covers.
Hah yeah I am struggling to even get the Steve Rogers covers.

I was able to get quite a few Thor, he is at 1/2/3 right now and at like level 53. This event though is killing me and I can barely keep my spot this time.

Digging through the Alliances but Im not just joining when I dont even know if the people play.  I did find an alliance called cheapa$$gamer, although the only name I recognized in it was shipwreck. Although if I had to guess Kojubat was wombat & cheapy was in there somewhere. So even the main guys on the site play too!

With all the iso I may make an alliance myself, but I'll see what the consensus is after this go around.  Seems kinda worthless really, just for an extra cover or 2.

bread's done
Back