Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (PS3) - Retail Pack $15

wildnuts02

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
the PS3 version will also come in a retail package that contains:

• Redemption Code for full game
  • DVD case with sleeve
  • Data DVD with exclusive artwork (wallpapers, icons, character and content art), 4 trailers and screenshots
  • 8 page color manual with artwork and moves list
  • 1 month free subscription to Marvel Digital Comics ($9.99 value)
  • 2000 Capcom-Unity points - can be used for prizing and auctions

This is actually $5.00 more than the DD but this could be a deal for collector's and fans of the game.

EB/GS Preorder Link

UPDATE: Link is DEAD. Not sure why...could it be that they sold out?
UPDATE: 8-10-09

- package is confirmed: http://www.joystiq.com/2009/08/10/marvel-vs-capcom-2-retail-package-confirmed/
(looks like it won't contain the media disc unfortunately)

- preorder from EB/GS: here

mvc2-retail-conf.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='judgedee']how can there be a redemption code and a dvd sleeve? whats in the dvd?[/QUOTE]

Data DVD with exclusive artwork (wallpapers, icons, character and content art), 4 trailers and screenshots

I bet they are testing the market to see if people would prefer to buy a download card with extras in an art sleeve to promote the future of download only games.

They have to do something to appease retailers.

[quote name='Arcturiang']If they're shipping it with a DVD why not just put a physical copy of the game on there? That's what anti-downloaders care about.[/QUOTE]

I think they are really trying to see if they can up their profits by putting out really low cost packages at retail locations to try and attract sales that internet advertising can't reach. Aka soccer moms at a target, at bubba billy gun rack truck owner at walmart.

[quote name='Arcturiang']If they're shipping it with a DVD why not just put a physical copy of the game on there? That's what anti-downloaders care about.[/QUOTE]

Capcom mentioned before that they do not have the license to sell the game via retail. They mentioned this as the reason there is no Wii version.

[quote name='Dr. Dib']Capcom mentioned before that they do not have the license to sell the game via retail. They mentioned this as the reason there is no Wii version.[/QUOTE]

How come I seriously believe this to be BS from capcom. As long as something can be profited from, then marvel should always collect licensing fees rite? What's it matter if it's in cd form of download, it's still being sold with marvel's property.

waste, don't buy it. this is just a move to appease the box retailers. I say screw Gamestop, digital download is the way of the future. All those ex-Gamestop cornholes will have to work at other retail jobs where they will be cornholes those customers too.

They may have found a loophole in the licensing somewhere. They're not selling the game at retail; they're selling a fan package that happens to include a download code.

I'm quite interested in this (if it does stay true), but I hope they come out with an X360 version as well because I plan on getting this for the X360 and not the PS3...If this is PS3 only I may very well end up buying the game for both systems.

This is intriguing to say the least, I wonder if this will set a precedent of any sort. Seeing as how the last gen version of this game goes used for upwards of nearly $100, $20 for all that isn't bad, nor is $15 for just the game.

I bet Sony somehow has a hand in this as the PSP Go! is going to release soon. They probably want to show Gamestop that this will work so that eventually PSP games won't have to be released as both downloadable and physical, but at the same time Gamestop won't have their panties in a bunch. Here's to hoping that this doesn't sell. I do not want an end to physical media.

[quote name='thingsfallnapart']How come I seriously believe this to be BS from capcom. As long as something can be profited from, then marvel should always collect licensing fees rite? What's it matter if it's in cd form of download, it's still being sold with marvel's property.[/QUOTE]

Actually Marvel required another licence when Capcom wanted to make Xbox 1 version on Xbox live, so it is possible.

[quote name='jling84']I bet Sony somehow has a hand in this as the PSP Go! is going to release soon. They probably want to show Gamestop that this will work so that eventually PSP games won't have to be released as both downloadable and physical, but at the same time Gamestop won't have their panties in a bunch. Here's to hoping that this doesn't sell. I do not want an end to physical media.[/QUOTE]

Well I don't think that companies give a shit what gamestop thinks to be honest. Gamestop has to care about them hence the used games not showing up on the website until 30 days after release to appease the game companies.

Oh and I like this idea. I liked the Fallout DLC and the GTA (even though I wish they had some plastic not the cheap cardboard) so I am all for this type of DLC. If its going to be $20 then give me something to help me push it over to the buy (oh and that I can use real money not MS points is a big plus)

So I will be watching this hoping for the 360 which I am sure will happen

funny thing is I know gamestop will gutted those copies and people will steal the code (happens to Patapone 2 at local GS)

Looking forward to this. I like this sort of stuff. Depending on what the artwork looks like, it might be worth the extra $5. Hoping there's a 360 version.

[quote name='rogueweapon']waste, don't buy it. this is just a move to appease the box retailers. I say screw Gamestop, digital download is the way of the future. All those ex-Gamestop cornholes will have to work at other retail jobs where they will be cornholes those customers too.[/QUOTE]

I guess you don't enjoy clearance deals?

Cause digital downloads take up no shelf space.

For those of you (like me) who dont/didnt know what the "capcom Unity Points" are about. They are reward points for the capcom unity prepaid visa card. Hope that was usefull info.

So do those points carry a value in spendable money, meaning that what comes with the $20 GS purchase package alone has some sort of pre-paid loaded "2000 point" value on a Visa card? Sounds kind of like a kickstart to a reward program to get you interested in working towards something redeemable, but if the 2000 alone is redeemable that'd be different.

I think there will always be sales, even in a digital distribution model. Look at sales on Steam, PSN, and even Live. Granted you won't get clearance prices, but its worth it to not have to deal with some douche bag behind the counter.

[quote name='confoosious']I guess you don't enjoy clearance deals?

Cause digital downloads take up no shelf space.[/QUOTE]

I would not mind paying $20 for this game. A LOT of replay value. I find this more fun than 3rd Strike.. and 3rd Strike rapes hard.

[quote name='hypertails02']So this means eBay sellers will horde the retail boxes and sell the Game Only cards for cheap, eh?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I bet they'll hoard them all right.

[quote name='Evi1d33d']Thought about getting it until I saw the ship date...[/QUOTE]
That may very well be the release date, since I'm sure I heard it was delayed until late July at the earliest.

No I think Anti-Downloaders care about having something on their shelf to show that they own said game.

This is tempting. I kinda want the game but I can't do online at my house, up at my college dorm however it should work wonders...when does the game release on PSN/XBL?

Anti-downloaders want to keep their games regardless of whether or not a licensing agreement goes sour, or a company goes out of business. With this, they're still relying on PSN to be accessed to own the game.

with game sharing on PS3, I can just buy this for $20, and sell the share to 4 of my friends for $5 each, and make my $20 back.

[quote name='opportunity777']Stupid. It's like having the box and manual, but the buyer doesn't actually own the game.[/QUOTE]

It's just so that GameStop can get a cut of the sales. Let's not debate ownership here.

bread's done
Back