Mass Effect 2 Discussion - Fight for the Lost

OK - that makes more sense now. I think I need to do a lot more general exploration to figure out what is going on. I'm back on the ship now and Garrus just gave me his loyalty mission so I may check that out next. Grunt is also freaking out for some reason....

Yep, lots of upgrades in the shops. And it's actually a game where money is meaningful as the upgrades are useful and you don't have enough money to buy everything in one play through.

Even with importing a level 50 ME1 character and playing all the DLC I still think there are 1 or 2 upgrades in one of the stores that I don't have money to buy.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I think you get the loyalty either way, so just make the paragon choice and warn him.[/QUOTE]

Thanks - that's what I did. I really wanted to kill him though... :D

No problem. Best I can recall, you'll pretty much always get loyalty as long as you complete the loyalty mission. Only exception I can think of is maybe Tali--I think her's had a decision that could cause you to not gain her loyalty.

Otherwise, the ways to loyalty pop up as set points on the ship between missions and not during the loyalty missions.

One general tip, that you may have already gotten--but it's a crucial and spoiler free one so I'll give it just in case:

When the IFF Relay mission pops up on you main quest list, do NOT do it until you've done everything else you want to do in the game--all loyalty missions, side quests etc. You'll have one more loyalty mission you can do after that quest, but you don't want to do more than that after it before moving on to end game to avoid some negative consequences for delaying.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='dmaul1114']Yep, lots of upgrades in the shops. And it's actually a game where money is meaningful as the upgrades are useful and you don't have enough money to buy everything in one play through.

Even with importing a level 50 ME1 character and playing all the DLC I still think there are 1 or 2 upgrades in one of the stores that I don't have money to buy.[/QUOTE]I think you end up finding all of the upgrades across the DLC missions and the regular missions, plus from the money you get through the game.

I know on my first playthrough, I had some upgrades to 6/6 between found upgrades and purchased upgrades.

I might be wrong, though I'll double-check by the time I make it to the end of the game again.

[quote name='dmaul1114']No problem. Best I can recall, you'll pretty much always get loyalty as long as you complete the loyalty mission. Only exception I can think of is maybe Tali--I think her's had a decision that could cause you to not gain her loyalty.[/QUOTE]
You can fail Samara's mission without getting a game over. It's also possible to miss Zaeed's loyalty if you take the Paragon path in his mission but don't have enough Paragon to pass the check at the end.

You don't have to ALWAYS do the paragon thing to be 100%. I would never think of letting Sidonis get away, and both of my characters are 100% paragon.

Both of my character are 100% paragon with anywhere from 20-35% renegade so don't worry about making one or two renegade choices, but ALWAYS do every PARAGON interrupt (LT prompt during some conversations) and choose all the paragon dialogue options you can (the ones highlighted in blue on the upper left side or sometimes any conversation choice on the upper right or upper left.)

[quote name='MSUHitman']You don't have to ALWAYS do the paragon thing to be 100%. I would never think of letting Sidonis get away, and both of my characters are 100% paragon.[/QUOTE]
Once again, there's really no such thing as "100 percent paragon". Having a full paragon bar does not mean you are "maxed out" on paragon points. It's better to think of it as starting off at both 100% paragon and 100% renegade, and every time you have the opportunity to gain points but you don't, you're actually losing part of your paragon/renegade.

Jeez... I'm going to be tired today. I was up way too late playing last night. I never intended to do Garrus's loyalty mission but I just wanted to check it out. Next thing I knew about an hour had passed.

I also upgraded my sniper rifle to 4/7 which should hopefully help - and now I'm pretty much out of money. I also just realized I can make myself invisible which really helps in lining up a sniper shot. Can I carry more than 10 bullets in my sniper rifle? Seems a bit low...

Tonight I'm going to focus on some of the side missions not involving loyalty. I still have a ton of exploration to do around the galaxy.

[quote name='The Crotch']Once again, there's really no such thing as "100 percent paragon". Having a full paragon bar does not mean you are "maxed out" on paragon points. It's better to think of it as starting off at both 100% paragon and 100% renegade, and every time you have the opportunity to gain points but you don't, you're actually losing part of your paragon/renegade.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, but if you don't have some type of proof, statement from a Bioware dev, or one of the other contributors backing you up, I don't believe that. On my initial playthrough of the game which was after importing a level 59 FemShep I was 75% paragon and 20% renegade according to the bar and once I filled out the power that increase health/shields/morality it went to 100% paragon and 35% renegade because of the multipliers.

On my 2nd Shepard I maxed out that bonus stat early on and even though I do renegade interrupts, I don't lose paragon when I do that, it just fills the renegade side.

[quote name='javeryh']Jeez... I'm going to be tired today. I was up way too late playing last night. I never intended to do Garrus's loyalty mission but I just wanted to check it out. Next thing I knew about an hour had passed.

I also upgraded my sniper rifle to 4/7 which should hopefully help - and now I'm pretty much out of money. I also just realized I can make myself invisible which really helps in lining up a sniper shot. Can I carry more than 10 bullets in my sniper rifle? Seems a bit low...

Tonight I'm going to focus on some of the side missions not involving loyalty. I still have a ton of exploration to do around the galaxy.[/QUOTE]Depends on the sniper rifle:

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Sniper_Rifles

There's lots of side missions to do, and if you're a little strapped on cash, they're good to do to get some credits, since some of them pay out as much as 7500 credits per mission if you find all the datapads/wall safes/etc. that have money in the mission.

[quote name='shrike4242']I think you end up finding all of the upgrades across the DLC missions and the regular missions, plus from the money you get through the game.

I know on my first playthrough, I had some upgrades to 6/6 between found upgrades and purchased upgrades.

I might be wrong, though I'll double-check by the time I make it to the end of the game again.[/QUOTE]

I'm almost positive I still have one upgrade left in a store on my main playthrough where I've done all the DLC. I'll try and think and check whenever I get around to doing LotSB on my 2nd character.

[quote name='MSUHitman']I'm sorry, but if you don't have some type of proof, statement from a Bioware dev, or one of the other contributors backing you up, I don't believe that. [/QUOTE]
It's true.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/105/index/2907273

The basic idea is that a full gauge does not mean that you will pass any Paragon check. The amount of Paragon you have is still weighed against the total possible Paragon you could have acquired so far in your playthrough, even if that total is more than whatever arbitrary number the gauge tops out at. It's definitely misleading, I don't know why they have the gauge at all really.

[quote name='Kim Stolz']Since so many people want the explanation of how this works I'll tell you. Don't read any further if you don't want it spoiled. There are potential paragon and renegade points throughout the game. When the user arrives in an area (ie: Omega) the game registers every single paragon or renegade decision that can be made and increases the difficulty of the persuade system based on these potential points. If the user collects all of these points (either paragon OR renegade) they break even they can almost never get ahead of the system, you can only keep apace. If the user misses these oppotunities to collect all of the points the game still keeps these points you missed so the player will actually fall behind. If the player falls behind it is very difficult and almost impossible to catch back up because everywhere you go more potential points are being mounted against you and making the persuasions more difficult.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Ryuukishi']You can fail Samara's mission without getting a game over. It's also possible to miss Zaeed's loyalty if you take the Paragon path in his mission but don't have enough Paragon to pass the check at the end.[/QUOTE]

Also to add the best I can not to spoil... If you dont have enough paragon later in the game, you can lose loyalty from one of the girls.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']It's true.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/105/index/2907273

The basic idea is that a full gauge does not mean that you will pass any Paragon check. The amount of Paragon you have is still weighed against the total possible Paragon you could have acquired so far in your playthrough, even if that total is more than whatever arbitrary number the gauge tops out at. It's definitely misleading, I don't know why they have the gauge at all really.[/QUOTE]

OK that's interesting, sorry about that Crotch.

There's only 3 instances I can think of in ME 2 that require the "meter" do be full, or close to it, one way or the other to successfully have the blue/red persuasion option available:
end of Tali's loyalty mission so you can withhold the evidence but still have her found innocent, confrontation between Jack/Miranda after Jack's loyalty mission, and the confrontation between Tali and Legion after Legion's loyalty mission.
If you can pass those checks, what can possibly happen that you wouldn't pass the check?

Like I said before I have done almost every renegade interrupt and a few renegade voice options on both of my characters and my male character isn't getting any scarring from those options because the paragon meter is still full (my FemShep had the surgery done.) Was it the same way for ME 1 or was this another change in the mechanics?

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']Alright javeryh, step into my office and I'll guide you towards the path of Infiltrator enlightenment.

First off, let's talk about your Infiltrator build. Ideally, there's two different directions you can take the Infiltrator class - Sniper/Controller and CQC (Close-Quarter Combatant). I've really only put a good amount of time into the Sniper/Controller class, because the CQC variant just feels fundamentally wrong to me (I'll explain why in the weapon part of this post).

For a Sniper/Controller set up, your priorities should be: maxing out Operative (specialize in Assassin for greater damage output, Agent for longer Tactical Cloaks), maxing out Tactical Cloak (Assassination Cloak for greater damage output, Enhanced Cloak for longer Tactical Cloaks), maxing out Incinerate (go for Incineration Blast, as you can't upgrade its radius from research), getting Disruptor Ammo up to at least level 3 (for the enemy weapon overheating bonuses), and dumping the rest of your points into Cryo Ammo and whatever bonus ability you currently have. Under normal conditions, I'd suggest a bonus ability and give it priority over Cryo Ammo, but you don't yet have access to the main bonus abilities that the Infiltrator class benefits from.

For a CQC Infiltrator class, the same priorities apply except that you'll want to stick with the Agent specialization (for Operative) and Enhanced Cloak specialization (for Tactical Cloak), as you'll start to depend on that extra time to either move in for the kill or run away if you get in trouble.

As a recap, here's the typical Sniper/Controller build vs. the CQC Infiltrator build:

[Sniper/Controller]
Disruptor Ammo - 4 (Squad)
Cryo Ammo - 4 (Squad)
Tactical Cloak - 4 (Assassination Cloak)
Incinerate - 4 (Incineration Blast)
AI Hacking - 1
Operative - 4 (Assassin)

[CQC]
Cryo Ammo - 4 (Squad)
Tactical Cloak - 4 (Enhanced Cloak)
AI Hacking - 1
Operative - 4 (Agent)

I know number-wise they look rather similar but, in terms of what weapons they use and general gameplay tactics, they couldn't be more different.

When it comes down to weaponry, the Sniper/Controller build is the only variant that makes sense to me. The only bonuses you'll be gaining for the shotgun with a maxed Infiltrator is +9% damage...that's it. With the sniper, you'll gain that +9% damage as well as sniper time slowdown and sniper time duration. Obtaining the M-98 Widow should be an Infiltrator's #1 priority, in terms of weaponry. On the Normal difficulty, you should absolutely annihilate any enemy you come across.

Regarding general gameplay tips, there's a number of things you want to keep in mind for either variant of the Infiltrator. For the Sniper/Controller class, you need to live by the 4 F's (coined by someone else on the BioWare boards): Find them, "fix" them, flank them, and finish them. Simply put, you need to find your enemies (pause-and-play strategy; look around the battlefield and determine where all the enemies are), "fix" them to a certain location (using the sniper and your squadmates to pin them behind cover, clump them all preferably in one general area), use the Tactical Cloak to flank them and set up shots (starting with the strongest/most-armored enemy), and finish them off. Also, keep in mind that you want your cooldown meter open at all times (or you won't be able to use Tactical Cloak), so use Incinerate sparingly - mostly if you see 2+ enemies side-by-side. If you get caught in a close quarters fight, switch to the SMG (hopefully you have the M-12 Locust from Kasumi's DLC mission).

The main idea with the CQC Infiltrator is to take out heavily armored enemies from afar with the sniper, and then switch to the shotgun as you aggressively push forward to finish off the other enemies in the area. This build is heavily dependent on your ability to maneuver the battlefield from cover to cover while you're taking out enemies up close. This build requires a lot of experience and familiarity with the game to be super effective.

As far as squadmates go, Miranda is your best friend on any/all missions. I'd suggest having her alongside you at all times. The third slot is dependent on the mission - more specifically, the enemies you'll be fighting in each mission. For synthetic enemies, you may want Garrus or Kasumi with you (for the extra Overload). For organic enemies, Mordin, Jack, and Samara (who you may only have the dossier for, at the moment) are all good options. Against Collectors, I prefer Kasumi because of her Flashbang Grenade's ability to stun enemy (read: Harbinger-controlled enemy) weapons. Grunt's usually a solid choice for a 3rd just about any time, as he gets a lot of attention (allowing you to flank) and rarely does anyone slip past him to get to you.

You should be set, for now. If you need video tips, I suppose that I can dig a couple of them up for you.

All of that to say: Infiltrators suck. Vanguard or bust. (right, Kado?) :cool:

All of them.[/QUOTE]

What about figuring in the bonus power point allotment? Right now I'm using the Geth Shield Boost for FemShep and have the meter filled 3/4.

[quote name='MSUHitman']There's only 3 instances I can think of in ME 2 that require the "meter" do be full, or close to it, one way or the other to successfully have the blue/red persuasion option available:
end of Tali's loyalty mission so you can withhold the evidence but still have her found innocent, confrontation between Jack/Miranda after Jack's loyalty mission, and the confrontation between Tali and Legion after Legion's loyalty mission.
If you can pass those checks, what can possibly happen that you wouldn't pass the check?[/QUOTE]
That's exactly right, those are the situations (plus possibly Zaeed's loyalty mission if you did it late in the game) where this would come into play. The difference in your case is the bonus points that you received from importing your Shepard from ME1. Those are pretty much free points that change the checks you listed from skin-of-your-teeth difficult to trivially easy. Kim Stolz mentions that in her explanation too so I guess that was done intentionally to give people importing from ME1 a sort of get out of jail free card for those checks.

[quote name='MSUHitman']What about figuring in the bonus power point allotment? Right now I'm using the Geth Shield Boost for FemShep and have the meter filled 3/4.[/QUOTE]
When figuring in the bonus power for Geth Shield Boost, you're build should basically look like this:

[Sniper/Controller]
Cyro Ammo - 1
Tactical Cloak - 4 (Assassination Cloak)
Hacking - 0
Operative - 4 (Assassin)
Geth Shield Boost - 4 (Improved Geth Shield Boost)

[CQC]
Cyro Ammo - 1
Hacking - 0
Operative - 4 (Agent)

Geth Shield Boost is nowhere near as good if you end up not leveling it up all the way and specializing in Improved Geth Shield Boost for the extra damage bonus. If you're playing on Normal or below, many CQC people make a good case for Cryo Ammo (Disruptor Ammo is too important on Hardcore/Insanity). If you wanted to mess around with Cryo Ammo more - especially against organic enemies - your build would look something like this:

Disruptor Ammo - 2
Cyro Ammo - 4 (Squad)
Incinerate - 3
Hacking - 1
Operative - 4 (Agent)

[quote name='shrike4242']Since you're in such a giving mood, X, how about posting your suggestions on an Adept build for me? :D[/QUOTE]:lol:

Sure thing.

The most important thing to remember about Adepts is the fact that different missions = different builds. Because the Adept is one of the most tactical classes in the game (if not the most tactical class), you'll have to constantly change up your strategy based on the upcoming mission. Being prepared is very key for an effective Adept. With that being said, here's a breakdown of how my Adept builds look for each enemy type:

[Adept vs. Organics]
Warp - 4 (Heavy Warp)
Throw - 4 (Throw Field)
Singularity - 4 (Wide Singularity)
Pull - 1
Shockwave - 0
Biotic Mastery - 4 (Nemesis)
Barrier - 4 (Heavy Barrier)*

[Adept vs. Synthetics]
Warp - 4 (Heavy Warp)
Throw - 4 (Throw Field)
Pull - 1
Shockwave - 0
Energy Drain - 4 (Area Drain)**

[Adept vs. Collectors]
Warp - 4 (Heavy Warp)
Throw - 4 (Throw Field)
Pull - 1
Shockwave - 0
Stasis - 4 (Deep Stasis)***

* - I choose Barrier simply for the amount of protection that you'll gain when it's active. Adepts are very weak, so any type of protection you can give to them goes a long way towards your survivability.

** - I chose Energy Drain because the Adept has absolutely no way of dealing with shields or synthetics on its own. Though you'll probably have Zaeed and Garrus/Miranda with you for these missions, an extra source of shield/synthetic coverage never hurts (plus it replenishes your shield).

*** - Stasis helps you deal with Scions and tough enemies, even when their defenses are still active. Though you can't deal damage to enemies in Stasis, you completely take them out of the fight which gives you time to take out the other lackeys before dealing with them again. Stasis also benefits from the Biotic bonuses that you gain from being an Adept.

----------

Squad selection is another key aspect of having an effective Adept. Like the class builds, the squad selection is primarily based on the types of enemies that you'll encounter in a given mission. The two most important areas that you'll need to cover with your choice of squadmates are: Shields and mid-to-long range fighting. I'll break down the squad selection the same way as I did for the builds (listed by priority):

[vs. Organics]
Miranda - Heavy Warp (extra detonation), Area Overload
Zaeed - Squad Disruptor Ammo, Concussive Blast, Incisor Sniper Rifle
Thane - Heavy Warp (extra detonation), Incisor Sniper Rifle
Kasumi - Area Overload, Shadow Strike, Flashbang Grenade

[vs. Synthetics]
Garrus - Area Overload, Incisor Sniper Rifle
Zaeed - Squad Disruptor Ammo, Concussive Blast, Incisor Sniper Rifle
Miranda - Area Overload, extra Warp detonation
Kasumi - Area Overload, Flashbang Grenade

[vs. Collectors]
Miranda - Heavy Warp (extra detonation), Area Overload
Thane - Heavy Warp (extra detonation), Incisor Sniper Rifle

----------

Regarding bonus weapon choice, my suggestion is to stick with mid-to-long range weaponry. If you have the Firepower pack, I'd almost always suggest going AR so that you can use the Mattock. A lot of people seem to like the Sniper Rifle or the Shotgun, and I can't necessarily vouch for either of them. Sniper Rifles are always covered by at least one of my squadmates (Zaeed, Garrus, Thane) and Shotguns feel pretty worthless because of the amount of crowd control that you already have with the numerous Biotic powers.

As for general gameplay/combat tips, I'll let the honorable TheAverageGatsby from the BioWare boards take over from here:
Note: I typed this in a hurry (Wednesday is my busy day), so if I messed something up someone call it out and I'll fix it later.

A few questions about the points above:

1) Obviously, I won't have Stasis until I've gone through LoTSB, though maybe I do have it from my first playthrough. :whistle2:s Time to check that.
2) Since I'm playing on Hardcore and everyone has shields, wouldn't a default for Energy Drain work as a good idea?
3) I went with AR Training from the Collector ship and have been using the Mattock and it's a great option to use.

I know I'll need to adjust some points around since I know I have some allocated to Shockwave and Pull, so that obviously needs to get adjusted. I'm assuming Wide Singularity for wider-range capture into the energy vortex and Heavy Warp for the extra damage?

[quote name='Ryuukishi']That's exactly right, those are the situations (plus possibly Zaeed's loyalty mission if you did it late in the game) where this would come into play. The difference in your case is the bonus points that you received from importing your Shepard from ME1. Those are pretty much free points that change the checks you listed from skin-of-your-teeth difficult to trivially easy. Kim Stolz mentions that in her explanation too so I guess that was done intentionally to give people importing from ME1 a sort of get out of jail free card for those checks.[/QUOTE]

Well with my male Shepard I'm playing right now (imported from ME 1 as well with a full paragon "meter") Zaeed was the third mission I did after I got the Normandy (Recruited Mordin and Kasumi first) and I did have the option to do the paragon but not what Zaeed wanted option but choose to do what Zaeed wanted.

[quote name='shrike4242']A few questions about the points above:

1) Obviously, I won't have Stasis until I've gone through LoTSB, though maybe I do have it from my first playthrough. :whistle2:s Time to check that.
2) Since I'm playing on Hardcore and everyone has shields, wouldn't a default for Energy Drain work as a good idea?
3) I went with AR Training from the Collector ship and have been using the Mattock and it's a great option to use.

I know I'll need to adjust some points around since I know I have some allocated to Shockwave and Pull, so that obviously needs to get adjusted. I'm assuming Wide Singularity for wider-range capture into the energy vortex and Heavy Warp for the extra damage?[/QUOTE]1) You should have Stasis available. If, for some reason you don't, I'll adjust the build for you.
2) Though Energy Drain is useful in all areas, it's more efficient to take two squadmates with Overload with you. It allows you to focus your cooldowns on Singularity + Warp. In some fights, every second matters. Also, Zaeed's Squad Disruptor Ammo will benefit you much more than Energy Drain will.
3) The Mattock is at least the 3rd best gun in the game, and some may argue for it to have the 2nd or top spot.

Yes, Wide Singularity for a bigger capture radius and Heavy Warp for a more powerful detonation. This combo is brutal, and it leaves you plenty of time to sit back and watch the fireworks :cool:

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']1) You should have Stasis available. If, for some reason you don't, I'll adjust the build for you.
2) Though Energy Drain is useful in all areas, it's more efficient to take two squadmates with Overload with you. It allows you to focus your cooldowns on Singularity + Warp. In some fights, every second matters. Also, Zaeed's Squad Disruptor Ammo will benefit you much more than Energy Drain will.
3) The Mattock is at least the 3rd best gun in the game, and some may argue for it to have the 2nd or top spot.

Yes, Wide Singularity for a bigger capture radius and Heavy Warp for a more powerful detonation. This combo is brutal, and it leaves you plenty of time to sit back and watch the fireworks :cool:[/QUOTE]
I'll readjust the points around and make sure I have Wide Singularity and Heavy Warp, which I think I just need to change Singularity as I know I have Heavy Warp already.

1) I'll check on having Stasis available next time I play.
2) Keeping two squadmates with Overload seems easy enough if you bring Thane/Garrus and Miranda along with every mission. I'll bring Zaeed along on a mission after I upgrade him to Squad Disruptor Ammo and see how it works.
3) I agree about the Mattock being in the upper grouping for best gun, as it's been my go-to weapon more times than not. It worked extremely well for the krogan that pops out of the elevator for Thane's recruitment mission, matched with Energy Drain, Warp and Singularity. Oddly enough, when I run out of ammo for it, I end up reverting to the Phalanx instead of the Locust, which seems like an odd choice.

As much as I hate to double post, I just checked on my game save, and it does appear I have Stasis from my LoTSB playthrough the first time.

I'm at Level 23, so I have 44 points to split out in the aforementioned configuration:
Warp - 4 (Heavy Warp)
Throw - 4 (Throw Field)
Pull - 1
Shockwave - 0
Special Power - 4

As I spread out the points, I could do everything except one of the Level 4 allocations, so I maxed out Warp to Heavy Warp, Singularity to Wide Singularity and Throw to Throw Field.

Would it make more sense to dial back Throw from Throw Field to Level 2 and max out the Special Power up to level 4? I haven't been using Throw much at all so far, so I thought it might make more sense to go with a level 4 Special Power instead of a Level 4 Throw into Throw Field.

Ended up like this:
Warp - 4 (Heavy Warp)
Throw - 4 (Throw Field)
Pull - 1
Shockwave - 0
Biotic Mastery - 4 (Bastion)
Special Power - 2

I also went with Bastion over Nemesis for the longer power duration, higher health increase and max Paragon/Renegade bonus versus the higher power damage, slightly lesser health increase and slightly lesser P/R bonus.

[quote name='shrike4242']As much as I hate to double post, I just checked on my game save, and it does appear I have Stasis from my LoTSB playthrough the first time.

I'm at Level 23, so I have 44 points to split out in the aforementioned configuration:
Warp - 4 (Heavy Warp)
Throw - 4 (Throw Field)
Pull - 1
Shockwave - 0
Special Power - 4

As I spread out the points, I could do everything except one of the Level 4 allocations, so I maxed out Warp to Heavy Warp, Singularity to Wide Singularity and Throw to Throw Field.

Would it make more sense to dial back Throw from Throw Field to Level 2 and max out the Special Power up to level 4? I haven't been using Throw much at all so far, so I thought it might make more sense to go with a level 4 Special Power instead of a Level 4 Throw into Throw Field.[/QUOTE]Throw is more of a situational power than your bonus power will be. For certain fights such as
the initial fight aboard the Collector Ship (the trap), various points of Illium (Samara and Thane recruitments), and more
, Throw is an excellent ability to have - just knock them off the sides! However, since you'll be choosing the bonus ability specifically for that mission (if you choose to play the Adept the way I do), it's more important to max out said bonus ability first. Throw will always have the least amount of priority with regards to all of the maxed out powers.

[quote name='shrike4242']I also went with Bastion over Nemesis for the longer power duration, higher health increase and max Paragon/Renegade bonus versus the higher power damage, slightly lesser health increase and slightly lesser P/R bonus.[/QUOTE]Remember that higher damage not only means that you'll be doing more damage to the poor soul caught in your Singularity, but also more damage done to the Shield/Barrier/Armor of the mercs/Geth/Collectors inside the explosion radius. Just something to keep in mind when deciding between Nemesis and Bastion :cool:

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']Throw is more of a situational power than your bonus power will be. For certain fights such as
the initial fight aboard the Collector Ship (the trap), various points of Illium (Samara and Thane recruitments), and more
, Throw is an excellent ability to have - just knock them off the sides! However, since you'll be choosing the bonus ability specifically for that mission (if you choose to play the Adept the way I do), it's more important to max out said bonus ability first. Throw will always have the least amount of priority with regards to all of the maxed out powers.

Remember that higher damage not only means that you'll be doing more damage to the poor soul caught in your Singularity, but also more damage done to the Shield/Barrier/Armor of the mercs/Geth/Collectors inside the explosion radius. Just something to keep in mind when deciding between Nemesis and Bastion :cool:[/QUOTE]Let's see, using Throw in the points you mentioned (which I've already done), would have been useful.

Also, is the difference in P/R bonus between Nemesis and Bastion worth worrying about for the loyalty challenges between characters where you have to be maxed out to have them go through without issue?

[quote name='shrike4242']Let's see, using Throw in the points you mentioned (which I've already done), would have been useful.

Also, is the difference in P/R bonus between Nemesis and Bastion worth worrying about for the loyalty challenges between characters where you have to be maxed out to have them go through without issue?[/QUOTE]I've never once had an issue with "___ is mad at me because I couldn't resolve this issue" or "I failed ____'s loyalty mission, now they hate me" (I hardly ever choose the class power that gives a bonus to Paragon/Renegade), so of course I'm going to always say go Nemesis.

However, I think I've played enough to realize that even doing some of the missions in a different order will cause you to potentially run into problems (amongst other things) - so it's honestly up to you. There's other tricks you can do, such as switching to Bastion right before any of these situations arise where you feel like you'd need that Paragon/Renegade boost. I just wanted to mention that it is possible to successfully clear those checks in the game without ever needing Bastion :cool:

Wait... so there is a "correct" order to doing all of the missions? I've just been doing them at random. I have some loyalty missions available but I haven't gotten around to them yet - are crew members going to be mad that I'm not rushing to do what they ask? Last night I went back to Orion and did a few things and then I did a side mission in that galaxy on some planet. I am just kind of wandering around the galaxy at my leisure...

No there's not a correct order to do the missions except make sure you have all the loyalty missions (and all the upgrades) done before you start the Reaper IFF mission. I previously spoiler tagged the three loyalty missions that have the hardest paragon/renegade checks to get the best result on.

So long as you heavily skew your character into either paragon or renegade, then yeah, you should never have trouble with those hard checks. The only times I've had trouble with them were when I tried to mix up my character's responses in various places beforehand, which utterly buggered me on the loyalty of a couple characters.

[quote name='javeryh']Wait... so there is a "correct" order to doing all of the missions? I've just been doing them at random. I have some loyalty missions available but I haven't gotten around to them yet - are crew members going to be mad that I'm not rushing to do what they ask? Last night I went back to Orion and did a few things and then I did a side mission in that galaxy on some planet. I am just kind of wandering around the galaxy at my leisure...[/QUOTE]No, there is no correct order of doing the missions. What I was referring to was a certain order of doing things to help you avoid some of the differences of opinion that exist in this game that you, as Shepard, may or may not have to jump in the middle of to keep everyone focused on the mission (and to keep this group of 12 different personalities from tearing itself apart).

The beauty of this game/series is that there is no pre-determined "best" or correct order to do missions. Continue to play the way you have been :)

[quote name='Lord_Kefka']Alternate Appearance Pack #2 coming very soon?

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/...End-of-January-and-Beginning-of-February.html

No source listed, pricing, or set date outside of February. But still....maybe they actually will finish these out after all.[/QUOTE]Wow, right as I start to make my daily Mass Effect rounds on the internet - good timing.

Obligatory threat/expectation: they better include something for Miranda (non-slutty), Tali, and/or Kasumi...or else!

[quote name='Lord_Kefka']Oh, and in B4 Xecutioner! ;)[/QUOTE]:whee:

Haha, I'm glad I've set the bar high enough to give everyone something to aim for. If anyone wants me to sign their copies of ME1/ME1:CE/ME2/ME2:CE, just let me know and I'll send you my address :lol:

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']
Obligatory threat/expectation: they better include something for Miranda (slutty), Tali (slutty), and/or Kasumi (slutty)...or else!
[/QUOTE]
Fix'd. :cool:

I can't see them doing another three squadmates and then quitting with only half the squad covered, but I also don't see them squeezing three separate packs into the remaining schedule before ME3 comes out. So I wonder if this pack will have 9 costumes and finish things out in one swoop.

ETA: I just realized that all three of the characters in the first pack were love interests, so maybe their intention is to cover all of the LIs and then stop. In which case this pack might have outfits for Jacob, Tali, and Miranda only.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Fix'd. :cool:

I can't see them doing another three squadmates and then quitting with only half the squad covered, but I also don't see them squeezing three separate packs into the remaining schedule before ME3 comes out. So I wonder if this pack will have 9 costumes and finish things out in one swoop.[/QUOTE]Would be nice if they did the other nine squadmates in one sitting, unless they're going to pump them out every other month after the second one comes out.

I'd imagine appearance packs are easy enough to create, so I can't see it being a huge time sink to get them done before ME3 launches.

They have one more story DLC to be working on, regardless.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']I've never once had an issue with "___ is mad at me because I couldn't resolve this issue" or "I failed ____'s loyalty mission, now they hate me" (I hardly ever choose the class power that gives a bonus to Paragon/Renegade), so of course I'm going to always say go Nemesis.

However, I think I've played enough to realize that even doing some of the missions in a different order will cause you to potentially run into problems (amongst other things) - so it's honestly up to you. There's other tricks you can do, such as switching to Bastion right before any of these situations arise where you feel like you'd need that Paragon/Renegade boost. I just wanted to mention that it is possible to successfully clear those checks in the game without ever needing Bastion :cool:[/QUOTE]With my luck, I'll find the one pathing that will get me disloyal squadmates when I flip back to Nemesis in the 2nd power re-do. I know where to find you if I end up that way. ;)

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Fix'd. :cool:

I can't see them doing another three squadmates and then quitting with only half the squad covered, but I also don't see them squeezing three separate packs into the remaining schedule before ME3 comes out. So I wonder if this pack will have 9 costumes and finish things out in one swoop.[/QUOTE]Would be nice if they did the other nine squadmates in one sitting, unless they're going to pump them out every other month after the second one comes out.

I'd imagine appearance packs are easy enough to create, so I can't see it being a huge time sink to get them done before ME3 launches.

They have one more story DLC to be working on, regardless.

[quote name='shrike4242']I'd imagine appearance packs are easy enough to create[/QUOTE]
You would think so, wouldn't you? I'm surprised that we don't have 4 or 5 alternate costumes for each character by now, like Street Fighter IV. And yet... it will be almost a full year since the first pack before they got around to making a second one. The only conclusion that makes sense to me is that the first pack tanked hard in terms of sales...

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']Haha, I'm glad I've set the bar high enough to give everyone something to aim for. If anyone wants me to sign their copies of ME1/ME1:CE/ME2/ME2:CE, just let me know and I'll send you my address :lol:[/QUOTE]

Not quite that level, but if Bioware ever decides to put out a multiplayer game in this universe (and it will NOT be ME3), expect a lot of requests for teaming up. I call firsts on that. Maybe a CAG clan?

[quote name='Ryuukishi']You would think so, wouldn't you? I'm surprised that we don't have 4 or 5 alternate costumes for each character by now, like Street Fighter IV. And yet... it will be almost a full year since the first pack before they got around to making a second one. The only conclusion that makes sense to me is that the first pack tanked hard in terms of sales...[/QUOTE]In comparison to putting out a story-level DLC, I think it should be much easier to make a costume pack in time spent on it.

I do think that it's a case of three costumes for 160 points isn't going to generate much in sale, though 9 costumes for something reasonable like 320 points, that would make for better sales.

I'm sure there's only so much that you can do with costumes for certain characters, so that might be what's driving it.

[quote name='Lord_Kefka']Not quite that level, but if Bioware ever decides to put out a multiplayer game in this universe (and it will NOT be ME3), expect a lot of requests for teaming up. I call firsts on that. Maybe a CAG clan?[/QUOTE]I've actually kicked that thought around in my head, and in chatting with Arikado.

Here's some of the ideas I had (Note: they probably all suck, but I just like the idea of a discussion):

Single Player/Co-Op
- The single player and co-op portions of the game would feature a full-length campaign (or campaigns), and would feature a deep, emotional story (or stories) with the same amount of detail and quality of Mass Effect; at least the same amount of effort.
- Different parts of the game's story could cover any period of time from the Rachni Wars, to the First Contact War, to Shanxi, to the Krogan Rebellions, to the Morning War, etc.
- These different storylines could all be separate campaigns, and would feature most of the races within Citadel Space and beyond: Asari, Turian, Salarian, Krogan, Quarian, Human, Batarian, etc.

Gameplay
- The main gameplay would be like just like Mass Effect 2 (or ME3, after we see any changes they may or may not make to it) - third person, tactical combat with a major focus put on smooth, fluid combat, and being able to effectively use cover and your powers/strategy to overcome the enemy.
- Each campaign is composed of numerous missions - some involving storming an enemy base, some involving holding overwhelming enemy forces back, some involving recon missions, etc.
- In single player and co-op, you'd have a 3-man squad with you (single player you can switch between all 3, in co-op you only control one character).
- The characters you have to select would be categorized by a class-based system. i.e. Depending on the campaign, it could be a squad comprised of a Human Soldier, Human Biotic, and Human Tech Expert, or a Salarian Tech Expert, Salarian Special Forces Soldier, and Salarian Scientist/Medic, etc.
- Throughout the duration of the campaign, you gain XP that you can use to level up your character(s). You also hit a point where you can specialize your character in a certain class (much like the Rogue VI mission on Luna from ME1). Class ideas listed below*
- Story gets as much treatment as it did in the Mass Effect games, though I'm unsure how branching dialog trees would work for a squad of people (particularly, co-op). Decisions/consequences are also a part of the experience, but are limited to the timeframe of the campaign/game.

Multiplayer
- The multiplayer aspect of the game would feature a handful of different gametypes that could support 3v3, 4v4, 5v5 and possibly 6v6 player combat - stuff like Team Deathmatch, Assault/Defend, a CTF variant, Territories, Retrieval, VIP, etc.
- The MP system would also have an XP system set up to where you unlock new armor, weapons, powers, class specializations, and maybe even characters (familiar faces from ME1-ME3? I think so!).
- The MP maps would include many of the familiar locations we've visited during ME1-ME3, including (but not limited to) places like: the Citadel, Omega, Virmire, Elysium, Tuchanka, Rannoch, Shanxi, etc.

Class Choices
Obviously not an entire list, but something to work with:

Human (Basic): Biotic, Tech Expert, Infantry
Turian (Basic): Infantry, Assault, Officer
Asari (Basic): Warrior, Spec Ops
Salarian (Basic): Recon, Tech Expert
Quarian (Basic): Tech Expert, Infantry
Krogan (Basic): Infantry, Biotic

Human (Specializations): Vanguard, Sentinel, Soldier
Turian (Specializations): Soldier, Infiltrator
Asari (Specializations): Huntress, Commando, Justicar
Salarian (Specializations): STG, Engineer
Quarian (Specializations): Engineer, Marine
Krogan (Specializations): Berserker, Battlemaster, Warlord

Class Bonuses
Obvious class bonuses would be similar to the following:

Human - reduced damage inflicted to shields and reduced cooldown to defensive powers (Barrier, Geth Shield Boost, Fortification, Immunity, Adrenaline Rush, etc.)
Turian - increased damage with Assault Rifles and Sniper Rifles
Asari - increased damage and duration to Biotic powers
Salarian - increased damage with Tech powers and increased damage with Heavy Pistols and SMGs
Quarian - increased cooldown to Tech powers and increased Shield regeneration and ammo for all weapons
Krogan - increased health and health regeneration

-------

I think that's all I have for now :lol: Hopefully you guys can come up with some other cool ideas, because I'd definitely like to hear them (or hear how much mine stink, etc.). Included with this discussion is the idea that this is like a 2013 release, plenty of time for them to release ME3 and tons of DLC.

My only problem with a team game is that I abuse pausing to the greatest extent possible. I'd be a hell of a lot worse with anything that's not a soldier if everything had to be done in real time.

So last night I did some mission on an ice planet with my flying spaceship thing and there were supposed to be 10 checkpoints. I only got to the third one before my engines froze up (it took me forever to figure out the controls). It seems like I can't go back down and try to get the other 7 checkpoints. Is that right? Am I screwed or something now?

[quote name='javeryh']So last night I did some mission on an ice planet with my flying spaceship thing and there were supposed to be 10 checkpoints. I only got to the third one before my engines froze up (it took me forever to figure out the controls). It seems like I can't go back down and try to get the other 7 checkpoints. Is that right? Am I screwed or something now?[/QUOTE]

Go back to a previous save and restart the mission. The trick with that mission is you need to be quick about finding where to go and scanning the beacons, which heats up the Hammerhead.

I know it took me a few times to get the sequence down correctly, though you'll get it eventually. Those missions won't let you save anywhere in the mission while you're in the Hammerhead, so if it's a vehicle-only mission, you'll have to restart it from the beginning.

Also, it's helpful to make a save at the beginning of a mission, as well as save periodically as you progress through it, so if you ended up in a problem situation, you can roll back to the beginning.

I actually have to run through that mission as well, so I'll let you know if there's any other hints I can provide.

bread's done
Back