Mass Effect 2 Discussion - Fight for the Lost

damnnnn!! reading this thread makes me wanna replay mass effect 2 again. i havent finished my 3rd playthrough as an engineer. engineer got boring since the special power is similar to those training droids in star wars.

so its like adding a 4th member in your party; but reading this thread makes me wanna finish it! woo! gonna play again soon

[quote name='Gentlegamer']If you're Soldier on Insanity, make sure you take Reave as your bonus power, and bring Miranda on every mission you can.[/QUOTE]
Miranda is always mandatory for Insanity, no matter what class you are. :) She's so OP compared to the other squadmates it's not even funny.

Miranda FTW, always. No matter what class or what difficulty you're playing on.

My usual setup was Miranda and Jack. Miranda and I would strip away shields and armor, and Jack would give em the old "Biotic Freight Train."

[quote name='Gentlegamer']If you're Soldier on Insanity, make sure you take Reave as your bonus power, and bring Miranda on every mission you can.[/QUOTE]

Reave you say. Why Reave in particular?

I just got done with Horizon, and I used Mordin and Miranda. I found a good way to exploit the AI for the most part and was able to easily win.

I don't think I'll use Mordin in the future though. The guy just doesn't understand what Cover is. Any suggestions for a replacement?

Also, I REALLY need to find the locations of Assault Rifle upgrades.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='KingBroly']I don't think I'll use Mordin in the future though. The guy just doesn't understand what Cover is. Any suggestions for a replacement?[/QUOTE]
For third squadmate, I mostly used Zaeed (spec'ed for Squad Disruptor Ammo against geth and Inferno Grenade against organics), Thane (against Collectors and biotics), Garrus (a good substitute for Thane when another Overload will be more useful than another Warp), and Grunt (good all-around character with high survivability and attack power, for when nothing specialized is called for).

Squadmates with sniper rifle training are greatly preferred if you have the Incisor sniper rifle.

[quote name='KingBroly']Reave you say. Why Reave in particular?

I just got done with Horizon, and I used Mordin and Miranda. I found a good way to exploit the AI for the most part and was able to easily win.

I don't think I'll use Mordin in the future though. The guy just doesn't understand what Cover is. Any suggestions for a replacement?

Also, I REALLY need to find the locations of Assault Rifle upgrades.[/QUOTE]

Yeah on Insanity you most likely should always tell your teammates where to go for cover, who to focus fire on and what ability to use.

It was usually Miranda and Garrus for me, the dream team, although I did use Mordin from time to time due to his ability to burn up or through enemies' health/armour. ^^

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']I've been talking about a ME2 insanity run forever. STarted one a few months back, but never finished it. I think I"m going to get my ME1 port up to level 60 first (and maybe beat that game on hard while I'm at it), then port it over for the ME2 Insanity playthrough.

Maybe I'll let Kaiden live this time.......... ... nah![/QUOTE]

Carth Onasi must die. On Every playthrough.

[quote name='Spybreak8']Yeah on Insanity you most likely should always tell your teammates where to go for cover, who to focus fire on and what ability to use.

It was usually Miranda and Garrus for me, the dream team, although I did use Mordin from time to time due to his ability to burn up or through enemies' health/armour. ^^[/QUOTE]On my Hardcore run, I ended up using Miranda / Garrus and Miranda / Thane quite a bit. I'd assume to use something similar for an Insanity run, especially if I do a Soldier class.

On the mission with the dozens of LOKI mechs trying to get the achievement for burning through armor, I used Mordin and Grunt.

How was Mass Effect concepted?! Great interview with Casey Hudson:http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2011/04/26/casey-hudson-interview-how-mass-effect-began.aspx
Cool beans and I think they trumped Peter Molyneux with the Fable series with the whole games within the trilogy actually linked to each other system. To tell you the truth that was one of the incentives to replay the single player campaign over and over and shows a good way to build depth and life for your single player games (without having to tack on multiplayer like all the other games).

[quote name='KingBroly']I don't think I'll use Mordin in the future though. The guy just doesn't understand what Cover is. Any suggestions for a replacement?[/QUOTE]

Kasumi, if you have her. Shadow Strike is great and another Overload always helps. I used her quite a bit on my Insanity run.

Though make sure she (and any other squadmate you have with an SMG) is using the Tempest SMG and not the Locust if you do.

[quote name='Magus8472']Kasumi, if you have her. Shadow Strike is great and another Overload always helps. I used her quite a bit on my Insanity run.

Though make sure she (and any other squadmate you have with an SMG) is using the Tempest SMG and not the Locust if you do.[/QUOTE]Her flashbang grenade becomes useful later in the game against certain enemies, so that's another item to have either with her around or as a bonus ability.

[quote name='KingBroly']Reave you say. Why Reave in particular?[/QUOTE]If I remember correctly, it is effective against Shields, Barrier, and Armor. You need to strip enemies down to normal health, then hit them with a Biotic Pull or Shockwave to knock them down or off platforms.

I guess I'll switch to it then if it does all that.

Quick question. Is it possible to go back and get Upgrades I missed on Recruit Missions, particularly Mordin's?

[quote name='KingBroly']Quick question. Is it possible to go back and get Upgrades I missed on Recruit Missions, particularly Mordin's?[/QUOTE]
Nope, only the hub areas can be revisited.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Nope, only the hub areas can be revisited.[/QUOTE]

Damnit. That sucks. I guess it can't be helped. I just remembered that I should do the Loyalty Missions ASAP, so I just started those. I should be able to get Jacob's and Jack's done before I do the Collector Ship. Not sure about Garrus' though, it hasn't activated yet.

[quote name='KingBroly']
Hard Paragon Check?
I'm running Renegade this playthrough. I'm not screwed, am I?[/QUOTE]
Not necessarily (and it also depends on what you mean by screwed).
You can also keep both girls loyal with a Renegade check. And even if you aren't able to keep both loyal or regain loyalty after the fact, it's still eminently possible to keep everyone alive through the ending, if that's what you're going for. The only thing you can really screw yourself on is if you are romancing one of the girls and side with the other one. That will permanently end the romance even if you regain their loyalty later.

Anyone think that ME2 loyalty status is going to carry over into Mass Effect 3 and affect things?

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Not necessarily (and it also depends on what you mean by screwed).
You can also keep both girls loyal with a Renegade check. And even if you aren't able to keep both loyal or regain loyalty after the fact, it's still eminently possible to keep everyone alive through the ending, if that's what you're going for. The only thing you can really screw yourself on is if you are romancing one of the girls and side with the other one. That will permanently end the romance even if you regain their loyalty later.

Anyone think that ME2 loyalty status is going to carry over into Mass Effect 3 and affect things?[/QUOTE]I sure hope so, at least in some way.

It would seem like a lot of wasted effort if you don't, since you can keep just about everyone alive without them being loyal if you pick carefully at the endgame.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Not necessarily (and it also depends on what you mean by screwed).

Anyone think that ME2 loyalty status is going to carry over into Mass Effect 3 and affect things?[/QUOTE]

I'm honestly just looking to beat it on Insanity.

[quote name='KingBroly']I'm honestly just looking to beat it on Insanity.[/QUOTE]
Then the only thing to even worry about is
whether you need Jack loyal so that when she generates the biotic shield, one of your squad members doesn't die. You can just use Samara instead though if she's loyal.

[quote name='KingBroly']I'm honestly just looking to beat it on Insanity.[/QUOTE]Most people doing an Insanity run are just looking to make it through to the endgame and get the achievement for it. That's how I'm looking at it when I do mine.

My Normal and Hardcore runs are the ones I'm bringing into ME3. Insanity run wouldn't be.

[quote name='shrike4242']Most people doing an Insanity run are just looking to make it through to the endgame and get the achievement for it. That's how I'm looking at it when I do mine.

My Normal and Hardcore runs are the ones I'm bringing into ME3. Insanity run wouldn't be.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, my Insanity ending was a total bloodbath. I think only Jack, Zaeed, and Grunt survived. I probably will carry it over into ME3 at some point just for grins.

Clarification to what I said above:
Yes, hard paragon check after completing Jack and Miranda's loyalty missions - it's actually easier for a renegade to pass it. The opposite is true with the check after Legion and Tali's missions; it's hard for renegades to pass it.

Also, total survival on my insanity run. Awwwwwww yeah.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Then the only thing to even worry about is
whether you need Jack loyal so that when she generates the biotic shield, one of your squad members doesn't die. You can just use Samara instead though if she's loyal.
[/QUOTE]

I plan on doing as much as I possibly can. When I did it on Casual I used
Samara
and had no problems.

Also, how high of a Renegade do I need to be in order to pass it? I'm nearing 40% right now.

I remember that I didn't have enough paragon to stop both miranda and jack from fighting. But then I found out that maxing one side of your skill will increase your paragon points.

I haven't played the game since last march, but I do remember boosting my paragon points by maxing a skill (I was using my sentinel, but it worked with my engy and vanguard too)

Just did Jack's Loyalty Mission. Doing that on Renegade was somehow very satisfying.

...And I passed the check...I think. Got 38 Renegade points out of it overall with Jack's Mission.

Of course my Fem Shep now looks like the Terminator. I think I'll do Grunt's Loyalty Mission next. Seems like they all do. I hope this stuff isn't timed.

[quote name='KingBroly']I plan on doing as much as I possibly can. When I did it on Casual I used
Samara
and had no problems.

Also, how high of a Renegade do I need to be in order to pass it? I'm nearing 40% right now.[/QUOTE]
Horsecocksshitfuckpisscuntwhore.

Alright. Nobody jumped on My Great Mass Effect Pet Peeve yet (actually, I consider the Paragon/Renegade system in general broken): the fucking paragon/renegade bars.

They lie to you. They are liars, and they will burn in hell for their sins. Ignore them, lest they drag you down to their level.

The paragon/renegade bars are utter, fucking bullshit. Having a bar that's 40% full is meaningless. Having a bar that's 100% full is meaningless; you can have the bar at full and still fail conversation checks. Pretend those bars don't exist.

All that matters is that you have accumulated as many possible [renegade/paragon] points given the number of opportunities you have had to accumulate them.

Enemies scale with your level, you see, and conversation checks scale, too. If you've just steppd on to Omega for the first time, checks will be pretty easy. If you're 30 hours into the game and have done most of your loyalty missions and all that noise, then the checks will be a lot higher.

Think of it thusly: you start with 100% paragon and 100% renegade. Every time you have an option to make a paragon choice or a renegade choice or whatever and you take it, then you stay at 100%. Every time you don't take that choice, you are losing paragon/renegade. This is not usually a problem for people, as it is blatantly obvious what will get you the most points for your archetype of choice, but it is a fucking horrible decision for a roleplaying game: binary morality systems are bad enough, but binary morality system that punish you and limit your options (in an incredibly unrealistic manner, no less!) for not playing by them? Eat horse cocks, whoever put that system in place!

For that reason, you want to get the hardest checks in the game
the paragon check for the Jack and Miranda argument, the paragon check for Zaeed if you save the workers, and the renegade check for Tali and Legion's argument
out of the way before you have the chance to "lose" any points. Unfortunately, the last of those checks usually comes at the very end of the game, so it'll likely be your hardest one.

When you explain it like that, it does sound like bullshit.

I might have lost out on 2 possible conversations so far.

[quote name='KingBroly']When you explain it like that, it does sound like bullshit.[/QUOTE]
Never underestimate the persuasive powers of fucking horsecocks, comrade.

[quote name='The Crotch']Never underestimate the persuasive powers of fucking horsecocks, comrade.[/QUOTE]

Wow, if'n that ain't the quote of the century! HA!

It was just enemy after enemy after enemy. I had an easier time with the Collector's Ship. Now it's time for me to get the rest of my crew loyal. But it'll have to wait because today I'm going to be playing Gears 3 until I get 82 more kills.

[quote name='KingBroly']It was just enemy after enemy after enemy. I had an easier time with the Collector's Ship. Now it's time for me to get the rest of my crew loyal. But it'll have to wait because today I'm going to be playing Gears 3 until I get 82 more kills.[/QUOTE]I actually like the combat in Thane's recruitment mission because it wasn't simple. You had to use some tactics and think through the combat, not just plow through it.

The biggest problem, area of difficulty, with Thane's mission that I could think of is when the elevator opens up and boom huge Mech to contend with a few guards.

[quote name='Spybreak8']The biggest problem, area of difficulty, with Thane's mission that I could think of is when the elevator opens up and boom huge Mech to contend with a few guards.[/QUOTE]I had more trouble with it on Normal as a Vanguard than I did on Hardcore as an Adept.

I dropped a Heavy Singularity on the elevator opening as soon as it opened, which kept things semi-busy once I dropped everyone's shields. I think I had Miranda and Garrus with me, so I hit everyone with Heavy Overload + Heavy Warp non-stop until it was just the YMIR.

The Mattock does pretty well against a YMIR with headshots, as does the Collector Particle Cannon.

Is there a YMIR in Thane's recruitment? I thought it was a krogan and some engineers that come out of the elevator. That was a really hard spot though regardless.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Is there a YMIR in Thane's recruitment? I thought it was a krogan and some engineers that come out of the elevator. That was a really hard spot though regardless.[/QUOTE]Sorry, it's a Krogan. Had that confused with Garrus' loyalty mission.

Same tactics applied, regardless.

I just did Samara's Loyalty Mission. Sigh...couldn't get the Renegade points for the end of it :\

I guess you get more lean way if you imported a character.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Is there a YMIR in Thane's recruitment? I thought it was a krogan and some engineers that come out of the elevator. That was a really hard spot though regardless.[/QUOTE]

Ah yeah thanks for that, I'm blending missions together lol. Basically any mission with a YMIR or even two, yeah Garrus' loyalty mission is tough, will be challenging on Hardcore. Challenging, not impossible because the game gives you plenty of tactical options depending on your class, weapons on hand and squad mates (game is surprisingly tactical at Insanity level and plays like a whole new game).

[quote name='Spybreak8']Ah yeah thanks for that, I'm blending missions together lol. Basically any mission with a YMIR or even two, yeah Garrus' loyalty mission is tough, will be challenging on Hardcore. Challenging, not impossible because the game gives you plenty of tactical options depending on your class, weapons on hand and squad mates (game is surprisingly tactical at Insanity level and plays like a whole new game).[/QUOTE]That part of Garrus' loyalty mission was tough for me on Hardcore, even with Garrus + Miranda. I can only imagine how hard it is on Insanity.

[quote name='Spybreak8']Challenging, not impossible because the game gives you plenty of tactical options depending on your class, weapons on hand and squad mates (game is surprisingly tactical at Insanity level and plays like a whole new game).[/QUOTE]
Definitely agree with that.

I've only played Garrus' loyalty mission up to Veteran. I don't even want to think about dealing with two YMIRs simultaneously, in close quarters, on Insanity.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Definitely agree with that.

I've only played Garrus' loyalty mission up to Veteran. I don't even want to think about dealing with two YMIRs simultaneously, in close quarters, on Insanity.[/QUOTE]I can tell you how bad it was on Hardcore. ;)

Sucked big time, mainly because the second one would tear you apart while working on the first one and taking it out.

The real issue I had while doing it on Hardcore an an Adept is that Singularity wouldn't work on them, regardless of their condition. Repeated Heavy Overload / Heavy Warp / repeated headshots with the Mattock / repeated shots with the Particle Cannon or Arc Projector was the winning combo.

I vaguely recall Garrus' loyalty mission giving you a cuntload of room to retreat from those two mechs. You really want to abuse the sheer amount of space given to you for that fight.

The "mechs destroying crates" fight can suck a whole magic-bag-of-holding of dicks, though.

[quote name='The Crotch']I vaguely recall Garrus' loyalty mission giving you a cuntload of room to retreat from those two mechs. You really want to abuse the sheer amount of space given to you for that fight.

The "mechs destroying crates" fight can suck a whole magic-bag-of-holding of dicks, though.[/QUOTE]You do have quite a bit of room to maneuver in that area, yes. Problem is, two of them working on one character at once trying to flank them and get out of the way, that's rather unpleasant.

The trick I found is to keep trying to flank them and get behind them, so they're not concentrating on one target.

Said mission with the crates does blow, no matter how well it works. Hardcore especially. Best I've done was 12 crates saved on that one, and I still don't know how I managed to pull that one off.

bread's done
Back