Mass Effect 2 Discussion - Fight for the Lost

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Preview in IGN UK.

Seems to confirm that Liara does join the squad at least temporarily, yet some of the screenshots still show Shepard with two other squadmates. Presumably the DLC comprises multiple missions, some played with Liara and some with two normal squad members?[/QUOTE]That preview looks to be pretty good. Sounds like it might be a 3-4 hour DLC pack, which will be a nice chunk to get for 800 points. Hopefully at least 2-3 hours long, if not 3-4.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']I sat here for a few minutes and debated watching the trailer, out of fear of spoilers. Then I realized that I had watched every video they uploaded prior to the release of the game, as well as all the DLC trailers since then, so I figured why stop now?

I'm glad I did watch it now because it definitely has me excited to play it. I had to watch it twice just because of how awesome it was. It looks very action packed and I can't wait to get my hands on it.

To those on the fence about watching it: there's hardly anything that the trailer showed me that I didn't already know about the DLC. I'm not going to sit down and study it scene by scene to see if I can pull out any spoilers, but I definitely do not feel like any of my curiosity was lost nor any of my desire to play this expansion. If anything, watching that trailer was a positive experience and it made me more excited to play it than I previously was.

For those of you who watched the trailer and have read the Redemption comics:
I hope you all noticed a certain someone in the video that was in the comics. Can't think of who I'm talking about? Maybe this will jog your memory:
quicktimeplayer20100901.png

:cool::cool::cool:
[/QUOTE]

I'd have to agree. I just watched it and was very very impressed with it. I think that this one will be the best DLC yet (which I keep seeming to say about all of them), since I think this will get into some good story between Shepard and Liara.

I hope this won't be the only "bridge" DLC they're going to do, as I'd like to see some DLC with Wrex next. Though, as some peoples' games via ME1 would have that not be an option, so I wonder how they might work with it.

[quote name='shrike4242']I'd have to agree. I just watched it and was very very impressed with it. I think that this one will be the best DLC yet (which I keep seeming to say about all of them), since I think this will get into some good story between Shepard and Liara.

I hope this won't be the only "bridge" DLC they're going to do, as I'd like to see some DLC with Wrex next. Though, as some peoples' games via ME1 would have that not be an option, so I wonder how they might work with it.[/QUOTE]I also think it will be one of the best DLC yet, which is why I went back and started up a fresh ME1 playthrough that I'm going to have set up for Liara next week :cool:

Not that it's going to happen but I wished they threw in the weapons packs and alternate outfit packs in with the $10 dlc. Like combine 1 with 1. Or give everybody who bought all of the main 560-800 point dlc free outfits and weapons.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']I also think it will be one of the best DLC yet, which is why I went back and started up a fresh ME1 playthrough that I'm going to have set up for Liara next week :cool:[/QUOTE]I'm working through my Renegade fenShepard ME1 playthrough that will romance Liara and stay loyal to her in ME2, though my disposable time to work through it isn't quite as prolific as yours might be. :D

I'll go through the DLC next week with my Paragon Shepard that romanced Liara in ME1 and went to Tali in ME2. Should be an interesting response, if they do go through the multiple possibilities like we discussed earlier in the thread.

Haha I'm enjoying a Labor Day Weekend with friends away from my 360 and he doesn't have the game! I'm going to have withdrawals, (I just got into my Insanity run and was kicking ass).

[quote name='shrike4242']
I hope this won't be the only "bridge" DLC they're going to do, as I'd like to see some DLC with Wrex next. Though, as some peoples' games via ME1 would have that not be an option, so I wonder how they might work with it.[/QUOTE]

Could just make the quest be with the new Clan Urdnot leader for those cases. Would drive up costs a bit to need two voice actors etc. though.

Didn't they say they were going to continue with the "bridge" DLC up until ME3's release? I think there will definitely be several more.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Could just make the quest be with the new Clan Urdnot leader for those cases. Would drive up costs a bit to need two voice actors etc. though.[/QUOTE]I figure that would be how they do it, though Wrex was Clan Urdot leader in my ME2, I'n not sure if the same voice actor did Wreave.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Didn't they say they were going to continue with the "bridge" DLC up until ME3's release? I think there will definitely be several more.[/QUOTE]I thought as much, though if there will be more "bridge" DLCs between ME2 and ME3, and they're all going to be as good as LoTSB appears to be, I think it's going to be a good run until ME3 releases.

[quote name='SPELLPLAQUE']Is there a list of playthrough times got the dlcs?[/QUOTE]

Firewalker and and Katsumi both too me around 90 minutes or so probably. Overlord took right around two hours.

Some new LOTSB previews:

GamesRadar

Gamespot AU

Be warned, both contain descriptions of story elements but in particular the Gamespot article should be avoided if you don't want to know anything that happens; it's pretty much a play-by-play of the first two levels.

I started buzzing through those articles and backed away quickly. I don't want anything spoiled.

But, I did read that there is one area of "Lair" that is open ended. Which, makes me think it's like Pinnacle Station where you can keep playing stuff if you want. That's good for folks who want or need to work on the warp achievement and stuff like that. I'm in that boat, actually, I need a couple more for warp and a couple more for incindiary ammo.

Casey Hudson gave some interesting stats to IGN about the data they've collected about Mass Effect 2 play:

Class least played- Engineer
Class most played- Solider (more than all other classes combined)
80% of players used the face customization system
80% of players played as a male Shepard
Roughly 50% of players who started ME 2 beat it
Roughly 50% of players imported a save from ME 1 (Bioware thought that number would be LOWER)
There are people who played 1 playthrough for 66 hours
Two PC players completed ME 2 28 times
Two 360 players completed ME 2 23 times
Players skipped 15% of conversations (usually in the hub worlds, barely happened in the game's climax)

[quote name='MSUHitman']Casey Hudson gave some interesting stats to IGN about the data they've collected about Mass Effect 2 play:

Class least played- Engineer
Class most played- Solider (more than all other classes combined)
80% of players used the face customization system
80% of players played as a male Shepard
Roughly 50% of players who started ME 2 beat it
Roughly 50% of players imported a save from ME 1 (Bioware thought that number would be LOWER)
There are people who played 1 playthrough for 66 hours
Two PC players completed ME 2 28 times
Two 360 players completed ME 2 23 times
Players skipped 15% of conversations (usually in the hub worlds, barely happened in the game's climax)[/QUOTE]
Two players completed ME2 28 times? That's around 600 hours of gameplay. Amazing.

[quote name='Master Troll']Just one more day!! Wooooooooooooooot.[/QUOTE]

Very stoked. Just bought the Bioshock 2 single player DLC, but that will have to wait. Didn't get to it this weekend as I got sucked into Gears of War 2 horde mode with the labor day event.

Plan is to play through the Shadow Broker DLC on my main character (paragon, soldier, default male shepherd), then do the Bioshock DLC, and play through Shadow Broker again on my seondary character (renegade, female, Adept).

That's too bad that everyone plays as Soldier and nobody plays Engineer. They did such a great job improving the way tech and biotic powers worked from ME1.

Cheers to the guys who completed the game 20+ times. And I thought four was a lot...

I still prefer playing as a Soldier. But I'm primarily a shooter fan when it comes to gaming.

I do enjoy my secondary Adept character as it's a different way of playing. Though once I got the assault rifle with her I fell back to playing more as a shooter again.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']That's too bad that everyone plays as Soldier and nobody plays Engineer. They did such a great job improving the way tech and biotic powers worked from ME1.

Cheers to the guys who completed the game 20+ times. And I thought four was a lot...[/QUOTE]
Yeah I'm always adapted to using Vanguards and Soldiers. Vanguard is a stretch since I'm not the type to rush into battles.

[quote name='Master Troll']Yeah I'm always adapted to using Vanguards and Soldiers. Vanguard is a stretch since I'm not the type to rush into battles.[/QUOTE]Vanguard is lots of fun getting into the thick of things back and forth.

Charging a YMIR and knocking it backwards was a nice fun moment. :D

[quote name='yukine']Is one of the players Tha Xecutioner? :lol:[/QUOTE]I'm currently either on my 21st or 22nd playthrough, but that's combining PC and Xbox 360. I'm not aiming for any records, though, I just get new ideas for builds and like testing them out and what not. The current playthrough I'm on was setting up for tomorrow's DLC.

I doubt any of these record holders for playthroughs are taking their time with the game (doing more than just recruit > gain loyalty > endgame) and listening to a majority of the dialog, but I definitely am :cool:

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']I'm currently either on my 21st or 22nd playthrough, but that's combining PC and Xbox 360. I'm not aiming for any records, though, I just get new ideas for builds and like testing them out and what not. The current playthrough I'm on was setting up for tomorrow's DLC.

I doubt any of these record holders for playthroughs are taking their time with the game (doing more than just recruit > gain loyalty > endgame) and listening to a majority of the dialog, but I definitely am :cool:[/QUOTE]Oh, to have that amount of free time..... ;)

I'm amazed at some of the numbers Bioware pulled on ME2, and that people are getting that amount of playtime from a single title + DLC. Pretty impressive. I wonder if they have any numbers on DA: O like they do on ME2.

I've seen DLC be up before 8AM CT, as well as before 6AM CT. I'd wager we should see it up before 8AM CT. At least I can hope so, as I'm going to make sure to DL it before I head off to work, since I don't want to wait for 2-3GB to download at home after work, even at 18MBit DL speeds. :D

I'll be up before 7AM CT, so if I see it after I wake up, I'll let everyone in here know.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I still prefer playing as a Soldier. But I'm primarily a shooter fan when it comes to gaming.

I do enjoy my secondary Adept character as it's a different way of playing. Though once I got the assault rifle with her I fell back to playing more as a shooter again.[/QUOTE]

Its amazing how shooting nearly never gets old for most people. But I am always shocked to hear that people don't use biotics more... there are so many clever and useful biotic powers that make the game a lot more strategically fun.

I primarily played ME1 as a Soldier-- I find the whole power setup in that game annoying so I just didn't bother with it. Even in ME2 I didn't really use powers a lot until my Insanity run as an Engineer. It's really all about the higher difficulties in ME2. On Insanity, before the first level was over, I was perfecting techniques and strategies that I didn't even know existed when I played on Casual.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I primarily played ME1 as a Soldier-- I find the whole power setup in that game annoying so I just didn't bother with it. Even in ME2 I didn't really use powers a lot until my Insanity run as an Engineer. It's really all about the higher difficulties in ME2. On Insanity, before the first level was over, I was perfecting techniques and strategies that I didn't even know existed when I played on Casual.[/QUOTE]I went through ME1 as a Vanguard, so there's some biotic use with that, even moreso with ME2. Playing through a second time in ME1 as an Adept gives you a whole new view on biotics, though it took a while for me to start to get up to speed with having Singularity and Lift into the mix as options. Yes, it takes some micromanaging to get through ME1 with a bit of biotic use, though I'm enjoying it now that I made it up past Level 20.

Got the disc in the tray, points on my account, new batteries in the controller... I am ready for this DLC.

Now all I have to do is wait until 10:00 pm tomorrow night when my wife goes to sleep. :/

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Got the disc in the tray, points on my account, new batteries in the controller... I am ready for this DLC.

Now all I have to do is wait until 10:00 pm tomorrow night when my wife goes to sleep. :/[/QUOTE]
Lol. Family time is so overrated.

Got my points ready for both Lair of the Shadow Broker and Witch Hunt for Dragon Age. It's just going to be a matter of finding time to play them with school and work in the way.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I primarily played ME1 as a Soldier-- I find the whole power setup in that game annoying so I just didn't bother with it. Even in ME2 I didn't really use powers a lot until my Insanity run as an Engineer. It's really all about the higher difficulties in ME2. On Insanity, before the first level was over, I was perfecting techniques and strategies that I didn't even know existed when I played on Casual.[/QUOTE]

Is it a game flow issue as well? I can understand that as a biotic you almost always have to pull up the radial to pause time and give out orders and I know that annoyed some of my friends. The game is so much better on the harder difficulties.

Just bought it. Can't wait to get home at 5.

My gf was sick last night/this morning.. kinda hoping I find out she stayed home from work so I can have her turn on the 360 and get the download started before i get home. :)

Downloading now..... but I have to work in 2 hours. Think I'll hold off till tomorrow so I have all day to play.

ME1 I used Adept. ME2 I'm using Engineer. I can't stress enough how much fun that class is. It adds so much variety to combat. The solider is boring as hell. I understand why it's popular but you just don't get the same satisfaction as you would from the other classes.

Very impressed with the DLC as a whole. Given how much this sequel discarded in comparison to the original I'm still sort of surprised they actually decided to sneak in a few nods (verbal and game play features) to the old days. Nice to see them continue from where Kasumi left off providing the player with boss fights worthy of the title as well. I'm going to swift through the rest of the ending game content (some of which is surprisingly in depth and hilarious btw) and move onto to Witch Hunt later.

10 out of 10 even with me running into the usual glitches and not being entirely sure of my Shepard & Liara rekindling their relationship.

I'm sitting at work and following Christina Norman's twitter account, which is making me want to go home and play now.

"Shadow Broker is out! I can confirm now that it brings back the Stasis power to ME2 which is a big boost to biotic combat."

"Hint to fans - there are some ongoing benefits to beating shadow broker that I don't think anyone has picked up on yet. Investigate!"

I just finished it. It was very good. There are some good rewards to finishing this DLC, one of which is being able to redo the points on your squad mates.

I'm not sure about this, but I think the Shadow Broker is uglier than the vorcha.

[quote name='erehwon']There are some good rewards to finishing this DLC, one of which is being able to redo the points on your squad mates.[/QUOTE]
Wow, I am so glad to hear that! They've now addressed what was pretty much my only serious complaint about the game. :)

5 achievements for 200g

Use all of the info terminals in Shadow Broker lair - 40g
Defeat the Shadow Broker's assassin- 35g
Confront the Shadow Broker- 50g
Defeat the Shadow Broker pack on Hardcore or Insanity- 50g
Reminisce with Liara on the Normandy- 25g

Cool, should be able to get through it on my main character tonight. Or by tomorrow night at the latest if it takes two sessions.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']The DLC is about 2 - 3 hours long depending on your play style and difficulty settings.[/QUOTE]
I would say that is about right. I did both of the boss fights over since I missed triggering one of those paragon events on both. You want to be careful of that especially after defeating the Shadow Broker. I almost missed a nice romantic kiss.

My only complaint was no blue ass back on the Normandy. :booty:They were cheap and just faded to black. The only question I have left is what would have happened if I had cheated on Liara? Shepard probably can't be a player and get both Liara and Miranda (or Tali). :drool:

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back