Mass Effect 2 Discussion - Fight for the Lost

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']Golden rule for all you would-be Insanity players (for the Hammerhead missions):
Stay the fuck back. If you get too close, you're toast.
[/QUOTE]
Haha, I noticed that. You die SO fast ...

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']There's a countdown timer on Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age's sites. The countdown ends on the 29th.

Speculation time![/QUOTE]
JADE EMPIRE 2! JADE EMPIRE 2!

Please.

[quote name='Fjordson']JADE EMPIRE 2! JADE EMPIRE 2!

Please.[/QUOTE]

On Bioware's site, under "Bioware Games", there is an entry for "New Next Gen Game." Has that been there for a while, or is that new? If it's new, it could suggest Jade Empire 2, or perhaps another new IP.

[quote name='BingoBrown']On Bioware's site, under "Bioware Games", there is an entry for "New Next Gen Game." Has that been there for a while, or is that new? If it's new, it could suggest Jade Empire 2, or perhaps another new IP.[/QUOTE]

I think it's been there for a while. Since that timer is across all of Bioware's sites, I'm guessing it will be our first glimpse at something new from them.

Thoughts on the DLC:
The longer version:
To (probably) no one's surprise here, I loved it!

For me, personally, this DLC mission pack was BioWare's way of testing the water with the Hammerhead. It reminds me a lot of how the Pinnacle Station DLC for ME1 made me feel. Both DLC brought something new to the game, both DLC didn't last very long, and both DLC pave the way for bigger, better things for their respective areas - in vehicle combat and minor exploration (Hammerhead) and in an arena-style simulator (Pinnacle Station).

I would classify the gameplay as "short, but sweet". The controls were
very nice - the Hammerhead moves exactly how it's supposed to. The maneuverability of the Hammerhead during combat was also excellent, as dodging rockets and gunfire was fluid. The firing system, although simple, was a nice touch. I definitely enjoyed the homing capabilities of the rockets I fired from long range at the multiple Geth Destroyers, Geth Prime, and Geth Colossi. I'm neutral on the idea of adding a machine gun to the Hammerhead, as the fast-firing homing rockets really do the job quite effectively. It's also able to reach much higher heights than I imagined (or remember seeing from the GTTV preview). I really dig the new way you collect samples with the Hammerhead, and I hope it gets used more in the future.

The presentation was really good, also. The different landscapes and scenery, and the few cutscenes of the Hammerhead flying into and out of the Normandy looked fantastic. The onboard VI wasn't the worst thing in the world, either. I would imagine that it would become more useful if they ever involved the Hammerhead in some sort of exploration missions in the future.

With regards to what ME2 gains from the introduction of the Hammerhead, there's so many possibilities. What it directly gains from the DLC: new vehicle, extra Biotic Damage research, and a small new subplot that centers around a Prothean artifact. This DLC also paves the way for possible missions or activities for the Hammerhead in the future, as well. (Assuming that BioWare is somewhat pleased with its reception) I could seem them crafting longer, more involved combat missions with the Hammerhead. I could also seem them trying to improve upon ME1's mediocre exploration system by giving us full access to a few planets and letting us travel its surface to collect resources and possibly activate a few side missions. This would be a good way to get feedback from the community about where they should go in terms of planetary exploration/scanning.

Without a doubt, I believe that the DLC's purpose is to open up the door to bigger, better things - but a
lot of people don't get that. The DLC met my expectations by far, but that's because I wasn't looking for a three-hour expansion or for space exploration. I had hoped that they would bring something innovative to the ME franchise, and they did just that. I very much enjoyed my free, one-hour look at the future and I can't wait to see where they go with it from here.

The short version:
BioWare: let's introduce the Hammerhead to the ME fans and test the waters to see if there's a future for it
Me: The water's fine...come on in!
:cool:

[quote name='BingoBrown']On Bioware's site, under "Bioware Games", there is an entry for "New Next Gen Game." Has that been there for a while, or is that new? If it's new, it could suggest Jade Empire 2, or perhaps another new IP.[/QUOTE]

might be star wars

Are there any rewards for the DLC? I'm finding it very "meh". It really didn't help that the controls for the PC version were kind of screwy. Dialog pops up telling me to press right click it gather research and such, but right click does nothing. Left shift should jump, but again does nothing. Key Bindings were set to have E jump and V mine. Didn't exactly work out that well.

Man, this games combat is useless though. They REALLY got to add something for each kill in the third game, either it be money, items or experience. Same with the Hammerhead - no reason to kill anyone.

Pretty interesting read: http://www.filmcritic.com/features/2010/03/mass-effect-2-vs-return-of-the-jedi/#

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Man, this games combat is useless though. They REALLY got to add something for each kill in the third game, either it be money, items or experience. Same with the Hammerhead - no reason to kill anyone.[/QUOTE]Not killing anyone = not being able to progress through the mission/level.
Not being able to progress through the mission/level = no experience, items, or money.

-on the other hand-

Killing people = being able to progress through the mission/level
Being able to progress through the mission/level = experience, items, and money.

Combat is not useless. Instead of seeing "10 XP" pop up over each person you kill, you get the XP at the end of the mission. Enemies dropping items would mean the return of an inventory system, which is a scary thought after seeing the one from ME1.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Man, this games combat is useless though. They REALLY got to add something for each kill in the third game, either it be money, items or experience.[/QUOTE]

Advancing through the level isn't enough for you? Do you not play games like Halo or Gears of War? There's no reward there, besides playing the game (except for ammo/weapons, but that hardly counts).

Personally, I don't want Mass Effect to turn into World of Warcraft. I don't need drops for every enemy. I want to kill enemies because the gameplay is fun, and I enjoy progressing through the levels. Money, drops, or XP is just unnecessary, and Bioware has found ways to give us those things through other means.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']Enemies dropping items would mean the return of an inventory system, which is a scary thought after seeing the one from ME1.[/QUOTE]

The inventory system, along with the shooting mechanics, were my biggest problems with ME1. ME2 fixed both fantastically. I can't fathom that they'd go back to that old inventory system, after they've proved (to most of us, at least) the superiority of the weapon fabrication system and the customizable armor.

One thing I disagree with is what everyone says about the inventory system. Yes, the one in ME was awful. But everyone seems to make the argument that, if future ME games had one, it would suck like that. I would hope not. I'd think a developer as good as BioWare would make sure they didn't not completely botch it again. Not that I care either way. I love ME2. Just saying, it's not like the return of one would mean we'd get the same shit over again. Pretty much a moot point, anyway, one would think, considering how damn successful ME2 has been.

Anyway, seems like the big, overall issue certain folks have with ME2 is that it's a more polished shooter with less focus on the RPG elements. I love RPGs, too, but ME2 is still leaps and bounds beyond ME, and I don't miss most of what they axed.

Pretty sure there's a happy medium in inventory management between ME1's "You killed a guy? Have an Item!" and ME2's "what's an inventory?" At the very least, I wouldn't mind one slot per character that I can outfit with an accessory or something to make them more customizable. Such effects of the accessory could range from the bland "+5% weapon damage" to a passive "Shep engages stealth when crouched" to an active "sends a shockwave back, temporarily stunning mech units in melee range"

Also don't really like how Credits were handled at all. Forced you to do the two hacking games over and over, or risk not being able to buy your upgrades (since Credits weren't really farmable)

[quote name='BingoBrown']Advancing through the level isn't enough for you? Do you not play games like Halo or Gears of War? There's no reward there, besides playing the game (except for ammo/weapons, but that hardly counts).

Personally, I don't want Mass Effect to turn into World of Warcraft. I don't need drops for every enemy. I want to kill enemies because the gameplay is fun, and I enjoy progressing through the levels. Money, drops, or XP is just unnecessary, and Bioware has found ways to give us those things through other means.[/QUOTE]

Crap sorry folks. Slipped up, I promised not to say any more negatives in this thread and I already failed. Ignore that comment...

[quote name='Salamando3000']Pretty sure there's a happy medium in inventory management between ME1's "You killed a guy? Have an Item!" and ME2's "what's an inventory?" At the very least, I wouldn't mind one slot per character that I can outfit with an accessory or something to make them more customizable. Such effects of the accessory could range from the bland "+5% weapon damage" to a passive "Shep engages stealth when crouched" to an active "sends a shockwave back, temporarily stunning mech units in melee range"

Also don't really like how Credits were handled at all. Forced you to do the two hacking games over and over, or risk not being able to buy your upgrades (since Credits weren't really farmable)[/QUOTE]

Yea all I'm saying is give me say, 25 credits for a small kills, 250 for a bigger one and 500 for a boss. Nothing much, just some instant reward.

wasn't too impresed with the dlc pack today. it was great for a free one but i beat it in like an hour. i think its funny they give us new areas/missions free and the costumes are the ones that caust.

i had a quick question about the dlc guys. to my understanding Bioware awarded people who buy the game new with the Cerebrus Network and has been giving out free dlc. and if you buy a used copy you have to pay $15 to get access to Cerebrus network. how would you guys rate the free dlc that they gave, is it worth paying full price and buying it new just for the free dlc???

Best buy has mass effect 2 on sale for $40, and it is really tempting and dont know if i should bite or not

[quote name='anarchyburger']i had a quick question about the dlc guys. to my understanding Bioware awarded people who buy the game new with the Cerebrus Network and has been giving out free dlc. and if you buy a used copy you have to pay $15 to get access to Cerebrus network. how would you guys rate the free dlc that they gave, is it worth paying full price and buying it new just for the free dlc???

Best buy has mass effect 2 on sale for $40, and it is really tempting and dont know if i should bite or not[/QUOTE]The content has been just fine so far (extra squadmate, new shotgun, new heavy weapon, new hovertank variant of the Mako, alternate costume pack). Any way you look at it, you need the Cerberus Network to play current and future DLC.

I'd say just go with the cheaper option: if the used copy (+$15) is cheaper than a new copy, then go for it. Otherwise, buy it new.

The game's free DLC isn't worth the $20 you save buying used, but there's no telling what they'll do in the future with Cerberus. It's totally up to you.

[quote name='anarchyburger']i had a quick question about the dlc guys. to my understanding Bioware awarded people who buy the game new with the Cerebrus Network and has been giving out free dlc. and if you buy a used copy you have to pay $15 to get access to Cerebrus network. how would you guys rate the free dlc that they gave, is it worth paying full price and buying it new just for the free dlc???

Best buy has mass effect 2 on sale for $40, and it is really tempting and dont know if i should bite or not[/QUOTE]

There's a large amount of DLC available from different sources. A quick rundown (and I know the good regulars here will correct any mistakes....)

Free via Cerberus Network:
Zaeed (new squadmate, achievement and loyalty mission)
Cerberus Weapon and Armor (Weapon: M-22 Eviscerator Shotgun)
Normandy Crash Site side mission
Cerberus Arc Projector (heavy weapon)
Firewalker Pack (new vehicle based side missions)

Dr Pepper DLC: (available from specially marked bottles or free DLC codes found in a thread here on CAG)
Sentry Interface (armor)
Umbra Visor (armor)
Recon Hood (armor)

Limited DLC:
Blood Dragon Armor (Included in new copies of Dragon Age: Origins. Only good through April 15th I believe)
Collectors Armor and Weapon (Collectors Edition DLC) (Weapon: Collector's Assault Rifle)
Terminus Armor and Weapon (pre-order bonus from Gamestop) (Weapon: M-490 Blackstorm Projector)
Inferno Armor (pre-order bonus from Best Buy and Amazon)

Paid DLC via Live Marketplace:
Alternate Armor Pack 1 (160 points)
Kasumi - Stolen Memories (560 points) (new squadmate, loyalty mission, achievement)

Digital Deluxe Edition DLC** (only available on PC edition at this time, placeholder appears to exist on Xbox Live Marketplace)
M-29 Incisor Sniper Rifle

And Best Buy is selling the game for $40 new, snatch it up. You won't find a better deal on used in places like Gamestop for awhile. I paid $70 for the C.E. and never regretted it. Go for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn! I'm supposed to be the one that goes all out. :lol:

That's actually a good list. I would include the M-29 Incisor Sniper Rifle (Digital Deluxe version) and the price tag for the Kasumi DLC (560 points). I would also specifically mention the M-22 Eviscerator Shotgun, instead of "Cerberus weapon".

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Man, this games combat is useless though. They REALLY got to add something for each kill in the third game, either it be money, items or experience. Same with the Hammerhead - no reason to kill anyone.[/QUOTE]

I echoed the exact same sentiments earlier in this thread. I don't need weapon and credit drops to be dependent on kills, but experience should be. About two thirds through my first playthrough I quickly did the math and realized that even doing every side mission from then on out I'd fall short of level thirty. (I also realized I wouldn't be able to buy all the upgrades then.) Knowing that the character's level is completely out of your hands is when ME2's genera became fully apparent to me.

(edit)I liked the extra credits and the upgrade that the Firewalker missions give you, but they're otherwise pretty worthless. There isn't even any combat while you're on foot.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']Damn! I'm supposed to be the one that goes all out. :lol:

That's actually a good list. I would include the M-29 Incisor Sniper Rifle (Digital Deluxe version) and the price tag for the Kasumi DLC (560 points). I would also specifically mention the M-22 Eviscerator Shotgun, instead of "Cerberus weapon".[/QUOTE]

I knew I could count on you. :)

List is updated...which made me recall to add the Blood Dragon armor and recall that we're still waiting to hear when we might get that Incisor Rifle.

Looks like it's time to swap threads, since I started up ME2 tonight. :D

One question I have is why it doesn't seem like my DLC from the Cerberus network is wanting to download. I added it all to my queue, though it just seems to blip through it without seeming to download the content itself. Any ideas?

[quote name='shrike4242']Looks like it's time to swap threads, since I started up ME2 tonight. :D

One question I have is why it doesn't seem like my DLC from the Cerberus network is wanting to download. I added it all to my queue, though it just seems to blip through it without seeming to download the content itself. Any ideas?[/QUOTE]

Cerberus DLC and actually DA:O DLC has been rather sluggish or incomplete in some instances as well as on my buddy's account. I found that downloading the DLC through ME2, then once it's in the que restarting my xbox then re-downloading it from the download history. Same with on DA:O. It downloaded faster and completely.

[quote name='shrike4242']Looks like it's time to swap threads, since I started up ME2 tonight. :D

One question I have is why it doesn't seem like my DLC from the Cerberus network is wanting to download. I added it all to my queue, though it just seems to blip through it without seeming to download the content itself. Any ideas?[/QUOTE]

Try queueing it all up and backing out to the dashboard to let it download. I think being connected to the Cerberus Network counts as "playing online," so your downloads are temporarily paused.

Also, my thoughts on the Hammerhead:
I'm mostly in the same boat as X. The thing controls so much more fluid than the Mako. Having this badass hovering tank would have made Mako missions much more tolerable in ME1. Combat could still be toned up a bit. Sometimes rockets would completely miss the mark despite me sitting still and having something directly in my sights. I'm also disappointed there weren't any on-foot gunfights in the DLC pack, but that was probably asking for a little too much since this is a free bundle meant to show off the shiny new tank.

I think this thing could be pretty damn cool if a few things are tweaked. Speeding towards the Shadow Broker's base and wasting other battle tanks and bodyguards before continuing the assault on foot for the rumored upcoming Liara DLC would be awesome.

Hammerhead DLC is dull so far (completed three of the missions). Guess it's unfair for me to have expected more from a free pack of DLC, but it feels pretty insubstantial as it is.

[quote name='BingoBrown']Advancing through the level isn't enough for you? Do you not play games like Halo or Gears of War? There's no reward there, besides playing the game (except for ammo/weapons, but that hardly counts).

Personally, I don't want Mass Effect to turn into World of Warcraft. I don't need drops for every enemy. I want to kill enemies because the gameplay is fun, and I enjoy progressing through the levels. Money, drops, or XP is just unnecessary, and Bioware has found ways to give us those things through other means.[/QUOTE]
Come on... God of War has more RPG elements than Mass Effect 2. You kill a guy, you get experience points to level up your skills. And it works great. What's the problem?

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Come on... God of War has more RPG elements than Mass Effect 2. You kill a guy, you get experience points to level up your skills. And it works great. What's the problem?[/QUOTE]
I dunno.

It encourages people to engage in combat at all times at the expense of actual, y'know "role playing"?

"I could persuade this guy to back down, but then I'd be out 50 XP and his gun..."

1: Handing over loot can feel incredibly contrived. It works once or twice, but as a replacement for corpse-looting any time you get the option to end things peacefully? Hell naw.
2: EXP-wise, what you reward totally changes the feel of the game (compare Dragon Age with my beloved Planescape Torment, where the boss fights were conversations). Making all paths equal isn't necessarily the way to go. Should you get the same reward even if you put vastly different amounts of effort into it? Isn't avoiding a hard fight reward enough for being diplomatic? But should characters who focus on diplomatic skills (side note: I favour getting rid of diplomatic skills in RPGs) be punished in the form of less XP and loot? Should they get more for solving a problem in an abnormal fashion? Should...

Is what ME2 uses the best system for the game ME2 is supposed to be? fuck if I know.

[quote name='Filbert']I echoed the exact same sentiments earlier in this thread. I don't need weapon and credit drops to be dependent on kills, but experience should be. About two thirds through my first playthrough I quickly did the math and realized that even doing every side mission from then on out I'd fall short of level thirty. (I also realized I wouldn't be able to buy all the upgrades then.) Knowing that the character's level is completely out of your hands is when ME2's genera became fully apparent to me.

(edit)I liked the extra credits and the upgrade that the Firewalker missions give you, but they're otherwise pretty worthless. There isn't even any combat while you're on foot.[/QUOTE]

Were you able to reach level 60 in ME 1 on one playthrough? Nope. The peak was 50. The game forced you to play more than 1 time. ME 2 is a little different. I imported a level 50 character and capped out at 28 in ME 2. I started off at level 3. I am going to assume that a level 60 character imported is at 5 and can finish the game off at 30. I guess that is by doing everything.

I dont mind the leveling, inventory and items. I do mind the $ in the game. It's crazy to think that you can do every side mission, visit every inch of the game and not be able to afford every upgrade. It's even crazier to think that there is a SURPLUS of minerals in the game. Hundreds of thousands more than you will ever need for each mineral. Would it have hurt Bioware to put a system in at the end of game that allows you to sell off your Minerals for Creds?

[quote name='wildcpac']

I dont mind the leveling, inventory and items. I do mind the $ in the game. It's crazy to think that you can do every side mission, visit every inch of the game and not be able to afford every upgrade. It's even crazier to think that there is a SURPLUS of minerals in the game. Hundreds of thousands more than you will ever need for each mineral. Would it have hurt Bioware to put a system in at the end of game that allows you to sell off your Minerals for Creds?[/QUOTE]
This is one of my complaints from my first play through of ME 2. I usually do everything in an RPG and I couldn't get all the upgrades. I like making a super strong team just encase the game has one of those difficult optional bosses. Well, that and I like to make sure that I get the complete experience of a game.

[quote name='100xp']Cerberus DLC and actually DA:O DLC has been rather sluggish or incomplete in some instances as well as on my buddy's account. I found that downloading the DLC through ME2, then once it's in the que restarting my xbox then re-downloading it from the download history. Same with on DA:O. It downloaded faster and completely.[/QUOTE]I tried that, and it doesn't seem to be cooperating. Seems to have blown through a number of DLC items again. :wall:

I set it up to do background downloading, so we'll see what it looks like later today.

[quote name='shrike4242']One question I have is why it doesn't seem like my DLC from the Cerberus network is wanting to download. I added it all to my queue, though it just seems to blip through it without seeming to download the content itself. Any ideas?[/QUOTE]
I've always had to select "Download Now" whenever I have items queued up in the Cerberus Network. Just select one piece of DLC and it should pop up another window that allows you to do that, then repeat for each other piece of DLC.

Once you're done downloading all of the Cerberus Network items, go back to the dashboard and relaunch the game.

Looks like it's time to swap threads, since I started up ME2 tonight. :D
Welcome! :cool:

[quote name='Salamando3000']Also don't really like how Credits were handled at all. Forced you to do the two hacking games over and over, or risk not being able to buy your upgrades (since Credits weren't really farmable)[/QUOTE]

I actually liked how credits were handled. Very controlled, unlike most RPGs where you can "beat the system" to amass a large amount of credits and buy whatever you want. In ME2, you have to be frugal with your expenditures. You have to say, gee, do I want that heavy pistol upgrade, or should I spend it on the submachine upgrade? This causes you to make decisions like you do with your own dollars in real life, and I think that lends credibility to a RPG.

Now, I don't disagree that the hacking games leave something to be desired (especially the circuit board one), but I like the inability to become ultra-rich and buy everything out there.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Come on... God of War has more RPG elements than Mass Effect 2. You kill a guy, you get experience points to level up your skills. And it works great. What's the problem?[/QUOTE]

I'm really curious as to what in your mind is different between killing 25 geth in a mission, getting 10 XP per kill, and just completing a mission, but getting 250 XP at the end? It doesn't matter, it's all the same. Except, when Bioware gives out XP per enemy killed, they have to manage it a lot more meticulously to make sure they aren't giving too much/too little XP. And how exactly would that one N7 mission work, where the husks keep coming at you until you set off the bomb? You would just sit there and keep racking up XP forever if you so chose?

Attaching XP to missions instead of enemies allows Bioware to craft the best mission experiences, without having to worry about how many enemies there are in respect to how much XP you should be getting. Overall it creates a better game by doing so.

[quote name='BingoBrown']I actually liked how credits were handled. Very controlled, unlike most RPGs where you can "beat the system" to amass a large amount of credits and buy whatever you want. In ME2, you have to be frugal with your expenditures. You have to say, gee, do I want that heavy pistol upgrade, or should I spend it on the submachine upgrade? This causes you to make decisions like you do with your own dollars in real life, and I think that lends credibility to a RPG.[/QUOTE]
Gambling on dog fights! The key to getting every upgrade!

[quote name='The Crotch']Gambling on dog fights! The key to getting every upgrade![/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's the only way to increase your credits artificially. But it takes time, and unless you're willing to save/reload after losing, it probably won't benefit you much in the long run.

In comparison, it's nothing like picking up dropped weapons/equipment in ME1 and selling them to Doctor Michel. I never did understand why the doctor who didn't sell guns would pay so much to buy them. Maybe she's a direct descendant of Charlton Heston?

I just assumed they made the game economy the way they did so that we'd still have something to buy with the credits from DLC missions.

I played the first mission of Firewalker, and my only thought so far is: Mass Effect just doesn't need vehicles. :) It didn't need the Mako and it doesn't need this. Hard to complain about free DLC but I hope in the future the devs choose to put their time and resources toward more on-foot missions instead of more vehicle stuff.

[quote name='BingoBrown']I actually liked how credits were handled. Very controlled, unlike most RPGs where you can "beat the system" to amass a large amount of credits and buy whatever you want. In ME2, you have to be frugal with your expenditures. You have to say, gee, do I want that heavy pistol upgrade, or should I spend it on the submachine upgrade? This causes you to make decisions like you do with your own dollars in real life, and I think that lends credibility to a RPG.

Now, I don't disagree that the hacking games leave something to be desired (especially the circuit board one), but I like the inability to become ultra-rich and buy everything out there.[/QUOTE]

In most RPGs, in order to "beat the system" and accumulate such a large reserve of gold, you'd have to put in a lot of time and effort to do so. It's not something that a player will accidentally stumble upon. It's their choice to beat the system. If they want to do it, why shouldn't they be allowed to? It's not like how they play their game influences how I play my game at all.

[quote name='BingoBrown']I'm really curious as to what in your mind is different between killing 25 geth in a mission, getting 10 XP per kill, and just completing a mission, but getting 250 XP at the end? It doesn't matter, it's all the same. Except, when Bioware gives out XP per enemy killed, they have to manage it a lot more meticulously to make sure they aren't giving too much/too little XP. And how exactly would that one N7 mission work, where the husks keep coming at you until you set off the bomb? You would just sit there and keep racking up XP forever if you so chose?

Attaching XP to missions instead of enemies allows Bioware to craft the best mission experiences, without having to worry about how many enemies there are in respect to how much XP you should be getting. Overall it creates a better game by doing so.[/QUOTE]

At the risk of asking a fairly noob-ish question...does levelling actually grant stat bonuses as you level up? I know you gain talent points, which can be put into talents that grant +health, +dmg, and so on, but do you gain health per level or anything?

Seemed like in ME2, since weapons remained relatively constant, and you couldn't outlevel content, it felt like the main thing that determined how hard a fight was going to be was the level layout more than anything.

[quote name='Salamando3000']In most RPGs, in order to "beat the system" and accumulate such a large reserve of gold, you'd have to put in a lot of time and effort to do so. It's not something that a player will accidentally stumble upon. It's their choice to beat the system. If they want to do it, why shouldn't they be allowed to? It's not like how they play their game influences how I play my game at all.[/QUOTE]

I don't think that ME1 required a lot of time or effort to reach the maximum credits of 10 million, at which point you had no qualms about buying anything and everything available.

But I also think that having controlled credits helps keep people from "beating the system." If I could beat the ME2 system (without doing endless dog fights), I probably would. But that would kind of spoil the whole point of the controlled credit system. In essence, I probably wouldn't be able to stop myself from amassing tons of credits, but then losing the aspect of making tough decisions on what to purchase.

In comparison, I've been playing Assassin's Creed II a lot lately. In that game, if you invest heavily in upgrading your village, money becomes moot by the end. You've got way more than what you need, and can buy anything you want. Now, if I hadn't done all the village upgrades, money would hold a greater value to me, and it would mean more to me when I'm able to purchase the next armor or weapon upgrade.

So, in short, Bioware keeps me from cheating the system in ME2, which I would probably do if it were accessible. I'm guessing that many other people wouldn't be able to stop themselves either, potentially harming their experience with the game. The structure is beneficial to me, even though I can see why others might prefer an open system.

At the risk of asking a fairly noob-ish question...does levelling actually grant stat bonuses as you level up? I know you gain talent points, which can be put into talents that grant +health, +dmg, and so on, but do you gain health per level or anything?

Seemed like in ME2, since weapons remained relatively constant, and you couldn't outlevel content, it felt like the main thing that determined how hard a fight was going to be was the level layout more than anything.

I'm pretty sure there are no bonuses with each level, outside of the talent points you apply to the different categories. But I'm not 100% positive on this.

Did the Hammerhead DLC on my main playthrough last night.

Nothing great, a bit dull (especially the non-combat missions) and the lack of check points in the artifact mission were annoying. But reasonably fun, spent about 2 hours on it (with scanning the rich planets, talking to legion etc.). Was disappointed that the brief on foot sections didn't have any combat as I really wanted to try out the Arc weapon! Will have to wait for the Kasumi DLC I guess.

Leveled up to 29. Hopefully the Kasumi DLC will get this main playthrough up to 30. My secondary renegade is already at 30 from the 25% exp bonus for playing again. Will do the DLCs on that play through eventually anyway to have it complete to import into ME3.

[quote name='BingoBrown']I don't think that ME1 required a lot of time or effort to reach the maximum credits of 10 million, at which point you had no qualms about buying anything and everything available.

But I also think that having controlled credits helps keep people from "beating the system." If I could beat the ME2 system (without doing endless dog fights), I probably would. But that would kind of spoil the whole point of the controlled credit system. In essence, I probably wouldn't be able to stop myself from amassing tons of credits, but then losing the aspect of making tough decisions on what to purchase.

In comparison, I've been playing Assassin's Creed II a lot lately. In that game, if you invest heavily in upgrading your village, money becomes moot by the end. You've got way more than what you need, and can buy anything you want. Now, if I hadn't done all the village upgrades, money would hold a greater value to me, and it would mean more to me when I'm able to purchase the next armor or weapon upgrade.

So, in short, Bioware keeps me from cheating the system in ME2, which I would probably do if it were accessible. I'm guessing that many other people wouldn't be able to stop themselves either, potentially harming their experience with the game. The structure is beneficial to me, even though I can see why others might prefer an open system.

I'm pretty sure there are no bonuses with each level, outside of the talent points you apply to the different categories. But I'm not 100% positive on this.[/QUOTE]

You make great points about the system. A couple of things though. If they are forcing you to make choices on spending money why not on minerals as well? Why is it that I stopped farming halfway through the game and planets and was about to purchase every upgrade with minerals and still had 100'000 minimum left over for each one and plenty of planets to mine? Why couldn't they have offered some side mission at the end of the game that lets the person sell off minerals for $.

Look at FF8, like previously mentioned. A person could get Squalls Ultimate Weapon on the first disk but they would have to know what they were doing and spend dozens of hours getting the items to upgrade it.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']Welcome! :cool:[/QUOTE]The intro sequence
from the attack on the Normandy to Shepard coming back from the dead
was some of the best I'd seen in a game in quite some time. I did love how they referenced events from ME1 even in that sequence, nice little touches. First interactions with Jacob and Miranda, also top-notch.

I killed every enemy in the game even without experience/reward. The combat was pretty much set up so you had to kill everyone to move forward without getting shot at constantly.

I did like the system of getting xp for each kill in ME1 more than getting a set amount of xp for each mission in ME2. But that was pretty minor and didn't lessen my enjoyment of the game at all since I killed every enemy I encountered in both games.

bread's done
Back