Mass Effect 2 Discussion - Fight for the Lost

[quote name='Ryuukishi']EA: BioWare fans should “pay attention” to tomorrow’s VGA announcements

Official ME3 announcement incoming?[/QUOTE]
Was just about to post this.

I personally hope it's something big to do with ME2 and not a ME3 announcement, though I guess I truly can't be disappointed either way. If it is a ME3 announcement, I suppose I'll have to go underground much sooner than I expected.

It may be a little premature to say this (although, if it is a ME3 announcement, I'm sure a thread will need to be made): but someone else will have to hoist the banner for the ME3 thread, because I'm going to find the biggest, most comfortable rock and sit under it until ME3's release date after the game gets announced. That, or if I'm somehow chosen to make it, it'll be the least updated thread ever until the game comes out :lol:.

Either way, my curiosity and interest are piqued.

[quote name='shrike4242']Good to know. I'll restart the character again and pick Energy Drain.

Should I also assume
that when I get to the Collector ship and can do training on a new weapon class, I should go with the Assault Rifle for the Adept?
[/QUOTE]

Assault rifle or sniper rifle, just a matter of personal preference. If you have the Firepower Pack, I'd go with the assault rifle training and use the beast known as the Mattock.

VGA's only do new game/DLC announcements, and they already said they aren't talking another Mass Effect until they ship the PStriple version.

Although it might be another DLC pack, but I doubt it.

[quote name='Arikado']
Assault rifle or sniper rifle, just a matter of personal preference. If you have the Firepower Pack, I'd go with the assault rifle training and use the beast known as the Mattock.
[/QUOTE]I do have that item, so I'll go that direction when that becomes an option.

Ahhh I watched the VGAs last year and the year before that. I'm going to just wait and read the gaming news this year though lol. It's the internet, not much of a wait either.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']http://www.destructoid.com/bioware-s-teasing-project-teased-in-video-teaser-form-187929.phtml

Looks like it's... some kind of space marine shooter game? Uh... okay.

Some commenters are saying that Doomguy's gun looks like the Incisor from ME2... Coincidence, or signal of a Mass Effect spinoff? Contact War prequel FPS maybe?[/QUOTE]

The mroe Bioware the merrier, I would prefer they just work on Mass Effect and Dragon Age for now though. :(

So according to the ME wiki, the Incisor is "one of a new wave of military and police sniper rifles." Probably wouldn't have been around 30 years before the ME universe's "present day." But the more I look at it, the more I think it has to be the Incisor, it's too exactly similar to be a total coincidence.

So I think we are looking at one of these options:

- They simply reused an asset, and there is no connection to ME. Doesn't seem likely that they'd go to the trouble of creating a CG trailer for a whole new series and then reuse notable assets from another series, but you never know.
- This is a Mass Effect sequel/spinoff set circa 2185.
- It is meant to be a callout to ME, but we're not meant to read any deeper into it than "this is a gun from the Mass Effect universe." Could be set in the First Contact War, Skyllian Blitz, or whatever.

Spin offs to the main trilogy huh

From the stuff I've read about the First Contact war, it didn't really last that long and for it to be on par with the main games, they have to delve into early human space exploration? Or even having you make the Mars discoverey. Or they could go the other way and help humanity try to do more and mroe for the council leading up to the first game.

[quote name='Amblix']
From the stuff I've read about the First Contact war, it didn't really last that long and for it to be on par with the main games[/QUOTE]
A little retcon never hurt anybody. I still feel like the First Contact War is the most likely scenario for a FPS or pure TPS spinoff, even if they have to spice it up a bit from what we already knew about it.

I'm betting this new project is going to be some kind of spinoff. Remember that call BioWare put out a while ago for multiplayer designers? It could have been for this. A multiplayer shooter set during the First Contact War (or something similar) could be pretty cool.

[quote name='Amblix']Mass Effect MMO. Haha.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, that would be awesome. With The Old Republic right around the corner though, any other BioWare MMO is a looong ways off.

[quote name='Arikado']Honestly, that would be awesome. With The Old Republic right around the corner though, any other BioWare MMO is a looong ways off.[/QUOTE]I could see a ME MMO after ME3 comes out, which would be after Old Republic has launched.

[quote name='Arikado']I'm betting this new project is going to be some kind of spinoff. Remember that call BioWare put out a while ago for multiplayer designers? It could have been for this. A multiplayer shooter set during the First Contact War (or something similar) could be pretty cool.[/QUOTE]

True, I remember this. I say this is probably it.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']I hate MMOs, but if there was a Mass Effect one, I'd be there.[/QUOTE]

I still couldn't do it. Just not my cup of tea.

[quote name='shrike4242']Maybe it'll be the battle of Shanxi:

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Shanxi

That way, you can complain about two different generations of Williams in the Mass Effect universe. :lol:[/QUOTE]

That's the same thing of the First Contact War, haha.

Edit:

Anderson wasn't even on the scene at that time period, so it'd be a completely new cast. I think it was 9 years after the First contact War Anderson became a LT.

If anything and the combat is similar to ME2 using the Incisor Sniper Rifle, or biotic attacks for that matter, I'll be down for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI, Bioware store is selling the first 100 batch of character lithos (Tali, Grunt, and Thane), at 1:00pm EST, then at 7:00pm EST.

Print run of 500 a piece, signed and numbered by the artist. Tali sold out in about 20 minutes or so. Grunt and Thane are still available.

OK so I'm running through my hardcore playthrough again and I'm just at an impasse. I can't do this little side mission and it's unbelievably cheap. The side mission is to secure the cargo crates where there are 3 heavy mechs blowing them up.

Ok so my load-out Locust the shields, then switch to Incisor/Phalax to take down armor and use incinerate to help take down armor/health. I take Garrus and Miranda which allows me to use Overload and Armor piercing ammo. I have warp ammo on all my weapons and have 1, yes 1, heavy ammo (of all the times to be short). I'm an engineer with incinerate, overload and combat drones as my main offense, excluding my baddass weaponry loadout.

So there are three different cover places that you can set up in the beginning and I basically learned to take the first one (farthest from the Mechs). I have all my team behind it. We can take out one Heavy Mech and possibly 1 and a half but 3 is just soo not going to work when they continue to close in on you behind the only cover that's available. I could throw down my combat drone and jump the cover but I can't use the other cover due to the last Mech already in flanking position of me.

I basically had it down to running around the shuttle and incinerating the Heavy Mech but the last Mech shows up flanking me from the entrance. I've been in cover and gotten hit by bullets, been hit behind cover by a rocket (throwing me out of cover like what happens with Harbinger) and even not allowed to let Mordin, tried with Mordin as well, incinerate the Heavy Mech because it said "The target is synthetic" (one time I couldn't AI hack the mech either even with the shields gone). However I've been hitting the damn thing with incinerate for the entire battle.

I'm stuck. I need advise and I wish there was more cover or even a place that you can run and jump behind opposite cover from Heavy Freakin' Mechs! The combat drone is a joke when it comes to these guys but it's a slight decoy that does it job. I just run out of time with the Heavy Mechs on me and I have no place to run/go for cover (other than the shuttle like I said before).

If I remember correctly the Mechs ignore you until you shoot them. So hit them one at a time. Also, I found that mission easiest when you don't use cover after the first Mech. They'll miss more often if you have them circling some cover.

I did this on Veteran, so not sure if it'll work on Hardcore or Insanity, but I had great success using the Cain. After failing miserably a couple times, I equipped it on a whim. Worked the first time. It's been a while, so I can't remember exactly how I used it. I seem to recall concentrating all team fire on the far mech (I believe I had the Locust equipped). He went down quickly, and then I placed my Cain shot right between the other two. All crates intact. Mission complete!

[quote name='The Crotch']Um.

The Cain didn't destroy the creates?[/QUOTE]

Nope! Now whether that was from miraculously good placement or the fact that they were somehow immune, I could not tell you.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/12/09/rumor-mass-effect-3-to-be-revealed-at-the-vgas-will-include-mu/

Joystiq has learned from a trusted source that BioWare's enigmatic teaser from last month represents the first glimpse of Mass Effect 3. As many have guessed, the third installment looks to feature something brand new to the series: multiplayer. We're currently unable to confirm that the multiplayer component will be part of the game's unveiling at the upcoming Spike Video Game Awards.

The Spike VGAs will air this Saturday night, preceded by a good deal of internet speculation brought on by the above teaser image. As spotted by one of our commenters, Arth Vader, the gun above looks exactly like the M-29 Incisor Sniper Rifle from Mass Effect 2. BioWare has also blasted out curious QR codes via its Twitter feed, all of which indirectly reference things from the Mass Effect universe, including the Vostok system and the surface temperature of the planet Aequitas.

Hmmm... not sure how I would feel if Mass Effect 3 included a major multiplayer component. A multiplayer spinoff, I have no problem with. I just don't want the finale of the trilogy to be compromised story-wise in any way.

Guess we'll know more in a few nights...

[quote name='Arikado']Hmmm... not sure how I would feel if Mass Effect 3 included a major multiplayer component. A multiplayer spinoff, I have no problem with. I just don't want the finale of the trilogy to be compromised story-wise in any way.

Guess we'll know more in a few nights...[/QUOTE]I'll have to agree with you on that point. ME3 multiplayer spin-off, that's OK. A separate side campaign that's online co-op like Resistance 2, that's also OK. If the main focus of the game goes down the MP route, then there's going to be a number of people not happy with the decision.

Here's another image from the reveal this Saturday night from CVG:

screenshot_242933.jpg

[quote name='shrike4242']If the main focus of the game goes down the MP route, then there's going to be a number of people not happy with the decision.[/QUOTE]
I can't imagine they'll change the format of the series at this point. If anything, ME3 might be similar to BioShock 2 in that it'll contain a complete single player game as well as a multiplayer component that may as well be a separate game.

If we had a month or so to wait for this game to be revealed, I'd go into speculation about it. Since we only have to wait two days, though, I'll just keep any opinions to myself.

The CVG article says that this reveal will have BioWare fans jumping out of their seats - I just hope that when I get out of my seat I'm not cursing at the screen/crying/puking, but rather that I'm sporting a nice ME3 hard-on or I'm applauding them for bringing us something new.

I really wouldn't mind seeing a World of Mass Effect type of game, as long as it doesn't compromise what Mass Effect 3 may be at this point.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I can't imagine they'll change the format of the series at this point. If anything, ME3 might be similar to BioShock 2 in that it'll contain a complete single player game as well as a multiplayer component that may as well be a separate game.[/QUOTE]Resistance 2 did a nice co-op only side campaign that wasn't part of the "main" story, so I'm hoping that's how they're going to do it. If the whole thing is co-op and needs co-op to get it done, then they're going down the wrong path for that.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']If we had a month or so to wait for this game to be revealed, I'd go into speculation about it. Since we only have to wait two days, though, I'll just keep any opinions to myself.

The CVG article says that this reveal will have BioWare fans jumping out of their seats - I just hope that when I get out of my seat I'm not cursing at the screen/crying/puking, but rather that I'm sporting a nice ME3 hard-on or I'm applauding them for bringing us something new.[/QUOTE]Hopefully it's much more applauding than cursing, though we'll see how it does.

[quote name='yukine']I really wouldn't mind seeing a World of Mass Effect type of game, as long as it doesn't compromise what Mass Effect 3 may be at this point.[/QUOTE]Agreed on that point. If it's a later project or a parallel project to ME3, that's good, if it's what ME3 turns into, not so much.

Yeah I think if they did something like Bioshock 2, secure a strong single player campaign and have an added multiplayer arena, then I'd be ok with it.

I'm thinking about this http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/113/1138974p1.html and It makes sense that ME 3 would have the awesome single player portion we love. I do wonder how much pressure that EA might have put on Bioware to incorporate multiplayer into their game.

Maybe EA thinks that Multiplayer will push more people to buy Mass Effect 3 if it has a multiplayer mode?

I could care less if it does, but if it is done right it could complement the single player very well.

I'm sure this has been asked 1000 times already, but 239 pages is a lot to go through. :razz:

My question. About a month or two ago, I upgraded my hard drive and did a hard drive transfer (via the kit). I know the end game save from ME1 is picky where you can't transfer it (or at least not easily) via a memory unit, but since a hard drive transfer supposedly transfers everything, will my end game save be there ready when I do finally load up ME2 or will I need to go back to ME1 first?

OMG OMG I finally beat that Eclipse Cache mission on Hardcore and no I couldn't use the nuke gun lol. I didn't have enough special ammo so that was useless. I kept the arc projector and it's one ammo haha. "We only got one shot, so make it count!"
I had to run around the shuttle like a pussy but I was able to take the third Heavy Mech down with Overload/Incinerate and Phalanx shots. My heartbeat was sooo strong during that and I was sweating like crazy afterwords with my fingers feeling light from the adrenaline.

Ok now on to do Grunt's Rite of Passage or go see Tali and the Geth?!

[quote name='JStryke']I'm sure this has been asked 1000 times already, but 239 pages is a lot to go through. :razz:

My question. About a month or two ago, I upgraded my hard drive and did a hard drive transfer (via the kit). I know the end game save from ME1 is picky where you can't transfer it (or at least not easily) via a memory unit, but since a hard drive transfer supposedly transfers everything, will my end game save be there ready when I do finally load up ME2 or will I need to go back to ME1 first?[/QUOTE]

Yes, it will. I did mine before Mass Effect 2 came out and ME1 save was there ready to go. The transfer kit basically makes an image of everything that was on the original and puts it on the new one then wipes the old.

Because I didn't want a discussion focused on the greatness that is Mass Effect 2 to be overshadowed by the announcement of Mass Effect 3, I decided to go ahead and make the Mass Effect 3 Thread to keep the topics separate.

Let's try and keep this thread on topic for as long as possible and we can all go drool over the future of this series in the other thread :cool:

Thanks.

bread's done
Back