Mass Effect 2 (new) @ Wal-Mart = $10.96

Roethlisberger

CAGiversary!
This is my first deal post, so please be forgiving if this price has already been posted.

Wal-Mart.com has Mass Effect 2 @ $10.96 with free 'ship-to-store'
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mass-Effect-2-Xbox-360-Xbox-360/10979133

It is free shipping if you select ship-to-store.
Standard Shipping to your home address is also pretty reasonable...comes in at just less than $2 for me...which should be close to the same for anyone else if you are just ordering one game.

OK...my first post. I know this game has steadily been decreasing in price for the last 6 months, but this is the cheapest I have sceen it yet brand new.
Hope this info helps!

I'll probably buy it tomorrow IF Amazon doesn't sell it at RPG Day tomorrow
Hope it doesn't go out of stock by then, lol

good find OP, heads up on TARGET as well guys, they have ME2 on clearance for 12.98, they have a shit load of ME2 copies, so you guys may wanna check that as well

I wasn't a big fan of the conversation simulator that is Mass Effect - is there any hope I'll enjoy the sequel? This thing is getting so cheap that it's begging to be played.

this is a must buy for those who haven't and like great action games with a great story (i haven't gotten this yet, no xbox =[, gotta wait for the ps3 version)

[quote name='handsomepete']I wasn't a big fan of the conversation simulator that is Mass Effect - is there any hope I'll enjoy the sequel? This thing is getting so cheap that it's begging to be played.[/QUOTE]

It's certainly still a big part of the game. Graphics are better and the inventory system is greatly improved and simplified. There's also much less in the way of cut-n-paste missions.

If you really didn't like the first one, well, you probably won't like this one either.

[quote name='handsomepete']I wasn't a big fan of the conversation simulator that is Mass Effect - is there any hope I'll enjoy the sequel? This thing is getting so cheap that it's begging to be played.[/QUOTE]

There's a demo on the marketplace. Try it out. If you're still unsure, buy it and don't redeem the cerberus network code. If you're not enjoying the game after a few hours, sell your used copy to Amazon for $9 and trade your Cerberus code for a $10 XBLA game in the CAG trading forum. You'll come out ahead.

[quote name='mailman27']Does the included Cerberus DLC code have an expiration date?[/QUOTE]

It says on the card that it must be used by January 1st, 2012. So most likely it does. Of course, by that time the Cerberus stuff should just turn into free DLC if EA has any soul left.

[quote name='Kerig']It says on the card that it must be used by January 1st, 2012. So most likely it does. Of course, by that time the Cerberus stuff should just turn into free DLC if EA has any soul left.[/QUOTE]

Most marketplace codes have expiration dates. They very rarely actually expire, at least in my experience. Of course most codes that I've redeemed after their expiration date were acquired online, not printed on a card, so YMMV.

edit: I'd also like to thank the OP for this. It's taking all of my willpower not to jump in on this deal. My sister is terrible at being subtle when asking questions and based on a conversation we had a couple of weeks ago, which just happened to occur during Amazon's $10 lightning deal on this, I believe I'll have a copy on the 25th.

got it.

was gonna buy this on Amazon the other day for $16 but the price went back up to $18, so at only $12(after tax) couldn't say no.

Hopefully they have it there on Friday so I can try to get the PS3 deal as well(if I don't get the Amazon deal in time).

Thanks OP. I am replaying ME1 and ME2 with all the DLC and playing as a girl this time. Just got through the ME2 DLC with my main (guy) Shepard but I heard the women voice actor is even better.

Might wait until tomorrow just to see if amazon PM's so I do not have to deal with this site to store crap.

[quote name='reddjoey']Picked up one, but I have a feeling an Ultimate Edition will come out[/QUOTE]
Same, one of the key reasons I keep hesitating the most. Though still even if (who am I kidding, WHEN) a GOTY edition comes out, counting all the current DLC (besides Cerberus Network) you'd be paying $40 total if you were to get everything on the marketplace that isn't avatar awards or themes. So $10 cheaper to get it now and download everything versus the GOTY...

But still I'm tempted to wait.

[quote name='reddjoey']Picked up one, but I have a feeling an Ultimate Edition will come out[/QUOTE]

Well considering it's safe to say that DLC for ME 2 has most likely stopped or at most we'll see 1 more pack since the sequel comes out in 10-11 months, you can get this and the 3 DLC packs for $35.

[quote name='DoubleJG']Still waiting for a cheap ME1 that I can get my hands on -__-[/QUOTE]

$20 new and with all of the digital bonus content from the LE and the first DLC (the only good one of the two available) for free (Platinum Hits version) isn't enough?

[quote name='MSUHitman']$20 new and with all of the digital bonus content from the LE and the first DLC (the only good one of the two available) for free (Platinum Hits version) isn't enough?[/QUOTE]

I wasn't aware that it came with DLC inside. Is the DLC used via disc or code?

Have a huge backlog, still haven't played the first one and am fairly sure a Greatest Hits version will come out with all the DLC on disk. Still, I'm thinking about picking this up.

[quote name='DieGo2SHAE']I just submitted the price match form to Amazon. I really hope they do it.[/QUOTE]

still $17, hope they really do it and finish my shopping for Christmas.

I would say for $10, it's a good deal. I got this game on Black Friday for $10 with a 1600 MS Points card for another $10 at Kmart.

Yes there is a version coming out with all the content included but it will be $60 so that will mean you'll have to wait another year or two which is fine but that's quite a wait. Who says you need the extra content? How much of the extra content is actually worth buying and how much is just an extra mission. From what I read, the Shadow Broker mission is the only one that continues the story while the rest of it is just a bunch of extra missions.

Also, there's a chance that the DLC will be part of MS's sale starting sometime Christmas week...

[quote name='typical guy']Yes there is a version coming out with all the content included but it will be $60 so that will mean you'll have to wait another year or two which is fine but that's quite a wait.[/QUOTE]
Where'd you hear that? The only version I know coming out like that is the PS3 version, which I'm totally picking up because this game is that awesome.

[quote name='typical guy']Who says you need the extra content? How much of the extra content is actually worth buying and how much is just an extra mission. From what I read, the Shadow Broker mission is the only one that continues the story while the rest of it is just a bunch of extra missions.[/QUOTE]
The Kasumi pack (Stolen Memory?) adds an extra (awesome) character, an awesome SMG and a really fun infiltration mission. The Overlord mission is pretty fun as well, but it's basically just an added long mission. Shadow Broker is just awesome, and you get a ton of great perks for finishing it as well. And I'd even recommend one of the weapons packs - the one with the Mattock AR and Geth Shotgun. Both are awesome weapons.

[quote name='simmias']
The Kasumi pack (Stolen Memory?) adds an extra (awesome) character, an awesome SMG and a really fun infiltration mission. The Overlord mission is pretty fun as well, but it's basically just an added long mission. Shadow Broker is just awesome, and you get a ton of great perks for finishing it as well. And I'd even recommend one of the weapons packs - the one with the Mattock AR and Geth Shotgun. Both are awesome weapons.[/QUOTE]

Obviously different people have different opinions. To me (and maybe I'm cheaper than you), spending money on a weapon or another character that is unrelated to the story is not worthwhile to me. I don't buy extra weapon packs or map packs. I also don't buy extra missions at all unless they are directly story related. Games have plenty of missions/quests built into base games so that I don't feel the need to spend real money to access some mission that is not going to progress the story.

My understanding is that the shadow broker mission is story related and will carry forward into ME3 so I will be getting that one and only that one. The only way they could get me to buy the another one or two is if they are on sale before the end of the year (when they have the Christmas sale) and this sale is REALLY good. Even then, I would only get missions and not weapons packs (unless the weapons pack is like 10 MS Points).

[quote name='typical guy']Obviously different people have different opinions. To me (and maybe I'm cheaper than you), spending money on a weapon or another character that is unrelated to the story is not worthwhile to me. I don't buy extra weapon packs or map packs. I also don't buy extra missions at all unless they are directly story related. Games have plenty of missions/quests built into base games so that I don't feel the need to spend real money to access some mission that is not going to progress the story.

My understanding is that the shadow broker mission is story related and will carry forward into ME3 so I will be getting that one and only that one. The only way they could get me to buy the another one or two is if they are on sale before the end of the year (when they have the Christmas sale) and this sale is REALLY good. Even then, I would only get missions and not weapons packs (unless the weapons pack is like 10 MS Points).[/QUOTE]

Thing is, the Mattock and Geth Shotgun are completely different from regular ARs and shotguns. They change how you play with said weapon types and are well worth the 160MSP it cost for their pack. $2 for two unique gameplay weapons is actually cheap to me. It also comes with an unique gameplay pistol. See http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/kitae/secrets-of-the-firepower-pack/30-57229/

[quote name='Wargamer']Thing is, the Mattock and Geth Shotgun are completely different from regular ARs and shotguns. They change how you play with said weapon types and are well worth the 160MSP it cost for their pack. $2 for two unique gameplay weapons is actually cheap to me. It also comes with an unique gameplay pistol. See http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/kitae/secrets-of-the-firepower-pack/30-57229/[/QUOTE]

I checked the giant bomb link. The weapons look interesting and fun but not something I would pay 2 dollars for. We'll see if they have a sale and what they charge for it. I'm a cheap ass silver member so I don't normally get to take advantage of the sales. I would be tempted for $1 and definitely for 50 cents. It's not a lot of money but a terrible price compared to full games for 99 cents on the psn and the 2 dollar games xbl had on black Friday.

[quote name='typical guy']I checked the giant bomb link. The weapons look interesting and fun but not something I would pay 2 dollars for. We'll see if they have a sale and what they charge for it. I'm a cheap ass silver member so I don't normally get to take advantage of the sales. I would be tempted for $1 and definitely for 50 cents. It's not a lot of money but a terrible price compared to full games for 99 cents on the psn and the 2 dollar games xbl had on black Friday.[/QUOTE]

So you are going to compare a one time game sale to a cheap piece of DLC? Apple to oranges :error:.
Just trying to show that those weapons add enough change to warrant 2 bucks. But it is your money, and ultimately, your desicion.

[quote name='Wargamer']So you are going to compare a one time game sale to a cheap piece of DLC? Apple to oranges :error:.
Just trying to show that those weapons add enough change to warrant 2 bucks. But it is your money, and ultimately, your desicion.[/QUOTE]

In a way I am comparing it. But honestly, that pr you linked didn't convince me for $2. Again, maybe if its on sale.

currently OOS at Walmart, and the price is the same at Amazon. After doing a search, it looks like the first Mass Effect is listed at $10.54 on Amazon though.

[quote name='typical guy']Obviously different people have different opinions. To me (and maybe I'm cheaper than you), spending money on a weapon or another character that is unrelated to the story is not worthwhile to me. I don't buy extra weapon packs or map packs. I also don't buy extra missions at all unless they are directly story related. Games have plenty of missions/quests built into base games so that I don't feel the need to spend real money to access some mission that is not going to progress the story.

My understanding is that the shadow broker mission is story related and will carry forward into ME3 so I will be getting that one and only that one. The only way they could get me to buy the another one or two is if they are on sale before the end of the year (when they have the Christmas sale) and this sale is REALLY good. Even then, I would only get missions and not weapons packs (unless the weapons pack is like 10 MS Points).[/QUOTE]
Most of the characters in ME2 have no connection to the Reaper plot, except that they're badasses that Shepard wants on his team. So arguably Kasumi is no less "story-related" than Thane, Grunt, Jack, or whoever else.

Anyway, I have to concur that Lair of the Shadow Broker and Stolen Memory are both essential purchases. Start with those, and proceed to the other DLC packs if you just can't get enough of the game.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Most of the characters in ME2 have no connection to the Reaper plot, except that they're badasses that Shepard wants on his team. So arguably Kasumi is no less "story-related" than Thane, Grunt, Jack, or whoever else.

Anyway, I have to concur that Lair of the Shadow Broker and Stolen Memory are both essential purchases. Start with those, and proceed to the other DLC packs if you just can't get enough of the game.[/QUOTE]

I bought dlc for me1 after I beat the game then I had to play through it again to play the mission but before I got that far I realized I dint want to play a second time. I'm tring to avoid that again. I haven't actually played my copy yet but a payed level that gives you a new character...I just don't know. It sure sounds like something I would be disappointed about.

[quote name='typical guy']I bought dlc for me1 after I beat the game then I had to play through it again to play the mission but before I got that far I realized I dint want to play a second time. I'm tring to avoid that again. I haven't actually played my copy yet but a payed level that gives you a new character...I just don't know. It sure sounds like something I would be disappointed about.[/QUOTE]
Well the Mass Effect 2 DLC is playable anywhere in the story for the most part-- including after the end credits. It's generally better to tackle it sooner though, since the characters/weapons/upgrades that you earn from the DLC missions benefit you for the rest of the game.

Even if you wait until you've already beaten the game and all of the side missions before deciding whether to purchase the DLC though, it's still worth it. The Shadow Broker mission in particular easily rivals anything else in the game.

bread's done
Back