Mass Effect 3 Discussion Thread

[quote name='garrett007']Ps3 is really getting me1[/QUOTE]

I will believe it when I see it. The website is oddly non-specific about something which you would expect them to be trumpeting as a major selling point.

Press release from Bioware says in addition to the full trilogy release for PS3, ME1 will also be available for download on PSN. It's happening.

[quote name='johnnypark']Press release from Bioware says in addition to the full trilogy release for PS3, ME1 will also be available for download on PSN. It's happening.[/QUOTE]
Well there you have it. Not the first time I've been wrong about something. ;) I wonder if there are any enhancements or changes for the port? Could be very interesting if they are taking the opportunity to integrate some of the newer gameplay ideas from ME2 and 3.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Well there you have it. Not the first time I've been wrong about something. ;) I wonder if there are any enhancements or changes for the port? Could be very interesting if they are taking the opportunity to integrate some of the newer gameplay ideas from ME2 and 3.[/QUOTE]

Ironically, I'm borrowing a 360 from a friend and just bought Mass Effect 1 to play through since I played 2 and 3 on PS3. Have not even turned on the 360 yet and now I feel like I would rather wait so I can import the save game for a second playthrough of 2 and 3.

Unfortunately, The Mass Effect thread in the PS3 section is sort of dead so I thought I would see what you all were saying about it.

I wonder if they'll use the ME2 engine for ME1 on the PS3, as I can't see them reverse-engineering the ME1 engine in its semi-buggy glory.

Also, as MSUHitman posted in the deal thread about it, hopefully the enhancements from the PC engine of ME1 are pulled into the 360 version of ME1 in the trilogy release.

It's a double-dip move by EA, though damn them for making "collectable" packaging for it, which means it's an instant buy.

[quote name='shrike4242']I wonder if they'll use the ME2 engine for ME1 on the PS3, as I can't see them reverse-engineering the ME1 engine in its semi-buggy glory.

Also, as MSUHitman posted in the deal thread about it, hopefully the enhancements from the PC engine of ME1 are pulled into the 360 version of ME1 in the trilogy release.

It's a double-dip move by EA, though damn them for making "collectable" packaging for it, which means it's an instant buy.[/QUOTE]

Actually the ME2 engine was never on PS3, the port was developed alongside ME3 and used the ME3 engine for simplicity's sake. There are a lot of comparison shots/videos showing ME2 on both consoles looking for differences if you're curious - I'm on my phone or id dig up a link.

So if anything the port to PS3 might run on a modified ME3 engine, which makes me curious what the 360 will get.

[quote name='johnnypark']Actually the ME2 engine was never on PS3, the port was developed alongside ME3 and used the ME3 engine for simplicity's sake. There are a lot of comparison shots/videos showing ME2 on both consoles looking for differences if you're curious - I'm on my phone or id dig up a link.

So if anything the port to PS3 might run on a modified ME3 engine, which makes me curious what the 360 will get.[/QUOTE]

Differences between ME3 and ME2 engines were rather minor though. Both UE3 base.

[quote name='johnnypark']Actually the ME2 engine was never on PS3, the port was developed alongside ME3 and used the ME3 engine for simplicity's sake. There are a lot of comparison shots/videos showing ME2 on both consoles looking for differences if you're curious - I'm on my phone or id dig up a link.

So if anything the port to PS3 might run on a modified ME3 engine, which makes me curious what the 360 will get.[/QUOTE]They said back when ME2 was released on the PS3 that is was a non-final and modified version of the ME3 engine, though was different than the ME3 engine. As Anexanhume pointed out, the differences were minor.

The ME1 situation for PS1 seems to be curious, as is the ME1 situation for 360. I'm also wondering that if it's a different engine for ME1 on the 360, would it be compatible with existing ME1 save files or would you need to go through it again separately.

Wow, that's a whole other question I hadn't considered. It would be weird if they did an enhanced/updated port of ME1 to PS3, but didn't bring any of those enhancements or updates back into the 360 version.

As for the engine difference between ME2 on 360 and PS3, the differences in terms of how the game actually looked and played were minor-to-nonexistent. I've played both and the experience is exactly the same.

It's possible that ME1-PS3 will run on the ME3 engine and address the texture-loading and frame rate problems from the original, but will be retrofitted with exactly the same gameplay as ME1-360. But it would be much more intriguing if the game is somehow updated with elements of the gameplay and controls of the newer games.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Wow, that's a whole other question I hadn't considered. It would be weird if they did an enhanced/updated port of ME1 to PS3, but didn't bring any of those enhancements or updates back into the 360 version.

As for the engine difference between ME2 on 360 and PS3, the differences in terms of how the game actually looked and played were minor-to-nonexistent. I've played both and the experience is exactly the same.

It's possible that ME1-PS3 will run on the ME3 engine and address the texture-loading and frame rate problems from the original, but will be retrofitted with exactly the same gameplay as ME1-360. But it would be much more intriguing if the game is somehow updated with elements of the gameplay and controls of the newer games.[/QUOTE]Some in the deal thread thought they'd just port the PC version of ME1 to the PS3 instead of trying to rework the ME1 game mechanics in the ME2/ME3 engine that already exists. ME1 on the ME3 engine would be an interesting duck indeed.

That makes the most sense to me, since I would think that ME1 PC to 360 would be the easiest path, since Microsoft always touts how easy it is to move games from PC to 360 and the reverse. If they did include the PC version in a new ME1 for 360, then I'd be happy to pay more money to do it again on an enhanced engine.

Doing ME1 on the ME3 engine would be a lot of work and I can't see them banging it out six weeks before announcement if that's the case. It would be quite a bit different if the ME1 gameplay was done on the FPS-ish system of ME3. Between ME2 and ME3, ME3 seems the closer match to ME1's gameplay system for biotics, though for the weapon mechanics, it would be a complete and huge change.

I should just set up an automatic deposit from my bank account into Bioware. Day one purchase. If they redo ME1 in any shape or fashion, that's even better. They had me at "collectible packaging".

Don't lose sight of this N7 day tho. That's probably when Omega will drop.

Lots of possibilities. I'll definitely pick up ME1 on PSN and play through it again if there are any changes or enhancements from the 360 disc.

Seems like their choices for porting boil down to:

1. Port the 360 version from scratch
2. Port the PC version from scratch
3. Start from the existing ME3 engine code on PS3 and retrofit the content from ME1

3 is unlikely because it's probably the most work out of any of those. So if they're left with either 1 or 2, which would be similar in scope, why not use the better PC version?

What would be really amazing is if they don't just throw the existing 360 ME1 disc into the set, but bring some of the PC refinements back into the 360 version. I won't be holding my breath for that though.

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']I should just set up an automatic deposit from my bank account into Bioware. Day one purchase. If they redo ME1 in any shape or fashion, that's even better. They had me at "collectible packaging".

Don't lose sight of this N7 day tho. That's probably when Omega will drop.[/QUOTE]Hello, I'd like to introduce myself, I work as the CFO for Bioware. Please provide your bank information to the following email address. ;)

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Lots of possibilities. I'll definitely pick up ME1 on PSN and play through it again if there are any changes or enhancements from the 360 disc.

Seems like their choices for porting boil down to:

1. Port the 360 version from scratch
2. Port the PC version from scratch
3. Start from the existing ME3 engine code on PS3 and retrofit the content from ME1

3 is unlikely because it's probably the most work out of any of those. So if they're left with either 1 or 2, which would be similar in scope, why not use the better PC version?

What would be really amazing is if they don't just throw the existing 360 ME1 disc into the set, but bring some of the PC refinements back into the 360 version. I won't be holding my breath for that though.[/QUOTE]Since Bioware has done multiple games on PC, PS3 and 360, I would like to think that they know enough how to move code between the different versions. DA: O PC was different than PS3 or 360, though DA2 was the same between all three. ME1 360 was different than PC as well, though ME2 was the same between all three.

If their tools to do 360 to PS3 are better than PC to PS3, they'll probably go that way with 360 to PS3. I would hope they bring out the PC version enhancements in the PS3 version, as I can only hope they do on the 360 version as well. Though, that would be more work than just making ME1 on PS3.

I would love an enhanced version of ME1 running on the ME3 engine, though I doubt that would ever happen in my lifetime.

I guess they can include a sticker in the trilogy box to hide the "Only on 360" on my existing ME1 copy. ;)

No matter what engine they use for ME1 on PS3, hope people get auto-saved gameplay. That was the biggest improvement in getting its DLC and one of the minor glaring faults from the first, aside from those instant kill thresher maws - Kkhhhhaaaaaaannnnnnnnn!.

Last edited by a moderator:
So is this trilogy for xbox360 going to include all the DLC for all three games on the disc? *crosses fingers* I certainly hope so. I loves me some hardcopies.
If they put it on the disc it will be a msut buy for me. :)

Yeah I'm really interested to see if the dlc would be included. Especially for ME1 & 2 and I expect the EC to be there for ME3. Would be nice if it was a complete as possible edition.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Mass Effect Trilogy Edition won't have a FemShep cover

Costume DLC? Pin-up poster? Another vote to change her hair color? :lol:[/QUOTE]How about some of the following:

* Fem Shep dress-up DLC
* Mass Effect Trilogy Babe Edition. Comes with all three games, a Babes of Mass Effect DVD and a A3 poster of Femshep in her underwear.
* Femshep centerfold
* A dominatrix costume as DLC
* Guest appearance in DoA5
* Mass Effect Cosmopolitan Edition. 101 ways to kill the reapers they didn't even knew about
* Transgender season pass.
* Knowing EA, it'll be an integrated credit card reader to make it even easier for fools to purchase overpriced on-disc DLC on day one.
* Shemale Shepard...
* It's new x-rated sex scenes.
* Coming soon: Femshep DLC, only $14.99 (saves Tha X some money ;) )

[quote name='shrike4242']How about some of the following:

* Fem Shep dress-up DLC
* Mass Effect Trilogy Babe Edition. Comes with all three games, a Babes of Mass Effect DVD and a A3 poster of Femshep in her underwear.
* Femshep centerfold
* A dominatrix costume as DLC
* Guest appearance in DoA5
* Mass Effect Cosmopolitan Edition. 101 ways to kill the reapers they didn't even knew about
* Transgender season pass.
* Knowing EA, it'll be an integrated credit card reader to make it even easier for fools to purchase overpriced on-disc DLC on day one.
* Shemale Shepard...
* It's new x-rated sex scenes.
* Coming soon: Femshep DLC, only $14.99 (saves Tha X some money ;) )[/QUOTE]

I just want Jennifer Hale to come to my house, have dinner with me, and record my voicemail message ("I'm done being patient. Leave your name and number after the tone or I'll cut your balls off and sell them to a krogan!"). Is that so much to ask, BioWare?

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I just want Jennifer Hale to come to my house, have dinner with me, and record my voicemail message ("I'm done being patient. Leave your name and number after the tone or I'll cut your balls off and sell them to a krogan!"). Is that so much to ask, BioWare?[/QUOTE]That's for the CE version coming in 2013 for the Wii U. ;)

[quote name='Ryuukishi']PSN download for Mass Effect 1 is $14.99, not bad.[/QUOTE]Good price. I wonder if it comes with Bring Down The Sky and Pinnacle Station or if those are separate purchases.

I can see Pinnacle Station being skippable, though BDTS isn't skippable in my opinion.

[quote name='shrike4242']Good price. I wonder if it comes with Bring Down The Sky and Pinnacle Station or if those are separate purchases.[/QUOTE]
Probably separate purchases. Apparently the Trilogy box set doesn't include any DLC except what was originally included with the games (Zaeed etc.).

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Probably separate purchases. Apparently the Trilogy box set doesn't include any DLC except what was originally included with the games (Zaeed etc.).[/QUOTE]Let's hope the ME2 for PS3 includes all of the DLC save Arrival like the original release came with. That would be an even worse kick in the nuts than the double-dip this looks like.

[quote name='shrike4242']Good price. I wonder if it comes with Bring Down The Sky and Pinnacle Station or if those are separate purchases.

I can see Pinnacle Station being skippable, though BDTS isn't skippable in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

Pinnacle is rather atrocious. It's broken for insanity difficulty.

BDTS has an impact in ME3. Don't skip.

[quote name='Anexanhume']Pinnacle is rather atrocious. It's broken for insanity difficulty.[/QUOTE]

Broken but doable. Still the only reason to buy Pinnacle is if you're a completionist or achievement/trophy hunting. You won't be missing much of anything at all skipping it entirely.

I liked Pinnacle Station. It wasn't the best, but it helped to hone your skill, gave some cheevos and a swell little apartment if you topped the ranks.

I liked Pinnacle just for the access to crazy good equipment by way of the apartment and ship traffic. Not like you can't find the stuff on your own though.

[quote name='Anexanhume']Pinnacle is rather atrocious. It's broken for insanity difficulty.

BDTS has an impact in ME3. Don't skip.[/QUOTE]Agreed, though it ends up being a minor impact, all told post-EC.

Still a great ME1 piece, no question there.

Don't know if you guys have seen this but:

"Chris Priestly wrote...

Hi everyone

Answering some of your most asked questions. Will provide more detail as the rest becomes available:

What DLC is included in the Mass Effect Trilogy?

• On PC, Mass Effect will include Bring Down the Sky and Pinnacle Station on disk. For Mass Effect 2, Cerberus Network will be included which features Zaeed – The Price of Revenge, The Firewalker Pack, Cerberus Assault Gear, Arc Projector heavy weapon, and Normandy Crash site mission. For Mass Effect 3, Online Pass will be included granting players access to co-op multiplayer.
  • On Xbox 360, Bring Down the Sky and Pinnacle Station are not included with Mass Effect, however they are available as stand-alone downloads through Xbox LIVE. For Mass Effect 2, Cerberus Network will be included and Online Pass will be included for Mass Effect 3.
  • Information on PlayStation 3 DLC will be available soon.
Will the original Mass Effect be available as a standalone game on PlayStation 3?

• YES the original Mass Effect will be available as a standalone digital title through the PlayStation Network for $14.99. It will release the same day as the Mass Effect Trilogy on PlayStation 3.
Is the Mass Effect Trilogy compatible with other versions of Mass Effect?

• Yes, the Mass Effect Trilogy is compatible with other versions of Mass Effect. This means you can use saves from across the original Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2, and Mass Effect 3 titles with the Trilogy. Mass Effect 3 multiplayer is also compatible across different versions.
Hope this helps. Keep asking any unanswered questions and I'll keep working on the answers."

I'm highly disappointed. I was at least counting on the DLC's that came with ME1 Platinum Edition, and the DLC's that came with the PS3 version of ME2, and the Javik and EC ending for ME3! C'mon Bioware!!! I want me some DLC's on disc cos I ain't got my console online!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='atomicsmurf']I'm highly disappointed. I was at least counting on the DLC's that came with ME1 Platinum Edition, and the DLC's that came with the PS3 version of ME2, and the Javik and EC ending for ME3! C'mon Bioware!!! I want me some DLC's on disc cos I ain't got my console online!
[/QUOTE]

I can understand why they wouldn't want to compile brand new game discs when they could put new art on an existing game disc-- which is why I predict that the PS3 copy of Mass Effect 2 will have the DLC on it. But the PH version of Mass Effect 1 with Bring Down the Sky already exists, I'm surprised they didn't at least use that. It's a $1 DLC for a 5 year old game, how much extra money are they expecting to make on it? :lol:

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I can understand why they wouldn't want to compile brand new game discs when they could put new art on an existing game disc-- which is why I predict that the PS3 copy of Mass Effect 2 will have the DLC on it. But the PH version of Mass Effect 1 with Bring Down the Sky already exists, I'm surprised they didn't at least use that. It's a $1 DLC for a 5 year old game, how much extra money are they expecting to make on it? :lol:[/QUOTE]

Thing is though Bring Down the Sky is on the second disc (of the PH edition and has to be installed separately), and I guess they are going as economical (Ie. cheap) as possible with this release. Sucks to be sure, but that's EA for ya.

I really want to get this new trilogy pack, but logic is slowly creeping in, telling me "hey dummy, you already own all of this. Save yourself $60!" So, I was telling my wife, who usually tells me to just go for it, because she knows I love me some ME. This time she said "eh, you already have all three collectors editions, right? I wouldn't get it."

Then I showed her a picture of the "premium foil box" and she said "oh, yeah, you probably need that." God I love that woman! :bow:

[quote name='uncle5555']Thing is though Bring Down the Sky is on the second disc (of the PH edition and has to be installed separately)[/QUOTE]
Well there you go. I didn't realize it was on a different disc, I've only got the regular version.

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']I really want to get this new trilogy pack, but logic is slowly creeping in, telling me "hey dummy, you already own all of this. Save yourself $60!" So, I was telling my wife, who usually tells me to just go for it, because she knows I love me some ME. This time she said "eh, you already have all three collectors editions, right? I wouldn't get it."

Then I showed her a picture of the "premium foil box" and she said "oh, yeah, you probably need that." God I love that woman! :bow:[/QUOTE]

lol - you had me at premium foil box hahaha :cool:

but yeah nah I think I'll pass this time around (also have all the CEs).

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Well there you go. I didn't realize it was on a different disc, I've only got the regular version.[/QUOTE]BDTS is pretty big for DLC and the ME1 disc is pretty crammed tightly as it is, so it had to go on a separate disc.

In unrelated news, saw Dredd over the weekend and the Lawgiver sidearm the Judges carry looks pretty close to a M-9 Tempest from ME2/ME3.

Lawgiver:
http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Dredd_(2012)#.22Lawgiver.22

M-9 Tempest:
http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Submachine_Guns#Mass_Effect_3

[quote name='shrike4242']
In unrelated news, saw Dredd over the weekend and the Lawgiver sidearm the Judges carry looks pretty close to a M-9 Tempest from ME2/ME3.

Lawgiver:
http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Dredd_(2012)#.22Lawgiver.22

M-9 Tempest:
http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Submachine_Guns#Mass_Effect_3[/QUOTE]

:) Yeah man that's what I was thinking when I watched Dredd as well. I loved the part where he voiced into his weapon the special ordnance, lol I was like oh nice he's got a really small kinect on his suit!

[quote name='Ryuukishi']The Best Screenshot Artist in Gaming Captures The Beauty of Mass Effect 3

http://deadendthrills.com/?cat=490

Being a "screenshot artist" is a thing apparently. :) There are some cool-looking super high res images of the levels and some character models.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the link, some really great hi-res shots in there. If he was charging money for his images that'd be one thing, but it's clear there's been a lot of time and effort to put those together. Some of the city shots from Crysis 2 are worth checking out, too, hard to believe some of them are from a video game!

[quote name='dopa345']Some pretty kickass improvements coming up in the next patch.

I expect to see lots of kroguards in future matches.[/QUOTE]Good stuff being fixed on both SP and MP.

Seems a little late on those MP fixes, but who knows. Maybe it's in anticipation of some DLC; maybe we'll get a bit more thru traffic. I honestly don't mind throwing the game on every now and then. Still pretty fun. Looking forward to properly raging with my Kroguard, even though he in no way needed it.

[quote name='Anexanhume']Sucks for non-MP players who are trying to get the 5k kills achievement.[/QUOTE]

What? I'm sitting around 3600 right now (hardly play MP) but was gonna get this on my next play through :(

bread's done
Back