Mass Effect 3 Discussion Thread

Just came back from vacation and shit did I miss a lot. I was able to jump on last night and grab the N7 challenge though! Man can't wait for Omega and hell no I'm not watching a stream of it lol. Yeah I was curious why the comic enemies didn't show up in the game as well until I realized oh they're probably planned late DLC (sounds good to me/keep em coming).

Expansion Packs = DLC now but since the developers can get it to us fast now they don't pack in as much content as if they were shipping a 6 month planned dev expansion.

Yeah so I just found this old fan made Mass Effect vid, thought I'd share:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='The Crotch']I've long carried a torch for a first-contact-war prequel/expansion.[/QUOTE]

That would be cool, but wouldn't all your squadmates be human and no biotic powers? But I guess that wouldn't matter against a bunch of turians with shields since Overload is kinda OP now imo.

Interesting. I'm tweeting with a couple of the bioware guys and one of then is working on new dlc, post Omega. I assume its MP, since he's the level designer for the MP maps. Its interesting because I don't think there is any rumored content left after Omega. I had hoped more MP stuff was coming after the huge Retaliation dlc. Looks like it will be. Nice!

[quote name='MSUHitman']Will this work?[/QUOTE]
Wow, very cool. Can't wait for 11/27.

Interesting observation that the majority of BioWare devs play as female Shepard. :)

[quote name='chubbyninja1319'] Its interesting because I don't think there is any rumored content left after Omega.[/QUOTE]

I thought I remembered hearing about unused Citadel files popping up. That was about the last lead I recall though.

[quote name='IanKazimer']I thought I remembered hearing about unused Citadel files popping up. That was about the last lead I recall though.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I remember reading that there was code in the Leviathan files that indicated that the next story DLC after Omega would take place on the Citadel. I don't remember anything more specific than that though.

Well damn that's, ... well that guy is known to tease too.

Ok anyone else playing Halo 4 right now, lol I know right, but yeah I got a big Sovereign/Harbinger vibe playing through that campaign. Loved it.

Also the space CGI battles, mouth watering. ^^

Oh and I thought "Vedette Lim" was Jennifer Hale (looked it up on IMDB), thinking this Spartan chick who was telling me orders was Femshep. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Next Mass Effect powered by the Frostbite 2 engine

In development at BioWare Montreal

BioWare Montreal studio director Yanick Roy has shared some information on the next Mass Effect game which he says "will be very respectful of the heritage built over the course of the first three games" and built with the Frostbite 2 engine used for Battlefield 3.

Roy continues: "... we are exploring new directions, both on the gameplay and story fronts. You can still expect the pillars the franchise is known for to be fully intact though, including diverse alien races, a huge galaxy to explore, and of course rich, cinematic storytelling."

The studio worked on cinematics, N7 missions, and much of the downloadable content for Mass Effect 2, in addition to handling multiplayer and the upcoming Omega add-on for Mass Effect 3, among other things. BioWare Montreal will be supported by the team in Edmonton "through the game's development," according to Roy.

Makes it sound like the next ME game is well into pre-production.

Since I think we're all in some sense of agreement that something post-ME3 would be an issue with the multiple possible endings out of ME3 and having one be the history to this new title would have Bioware picking one as "canon".

I hope First Contact War is the setting for this new title, as it seems like the likely option. That, or the Rachni Wars.

Unless they want to do some sort of aside going on in the ME1-ME2-ME3 timeframe somewhere else in the galaxy.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Next Mass Effect powered by the Frostbite 2 engine

Makes it sound like the next ME game is well into pre-production.[/QUOTE]

My thoughts: Dragon Age 3 next fall (launch title for new Xbox or PS?) followed approximately a year later by this new Mass Effect title. Personally I think the new engine is a sign of them switching gears to next gen (and frostbite is an EA product, completing the transition).

That's what I was wondering about too, what if anything the engine choice reveals about whether ME4 will be a current or next gen game. Or both-- I don't think we can rule out a situation where a scaled-down version comes out for Xbox 360 and PS3.

If Dragon Age III and/or Mass Effect 4 is a launch title for next gen, it'll completely tank my plan to not be an early adopter next gen. :/

[quote name='shrike4242']Since I think we're all in some sense of agreement that something post-ME3 would be an issue with the multiple possible endings out of ME3 and having one be the history to this new title would have Bioware picking one as "canon".

I hope First Contact War is the setting for this new title, as it seems like the likely option. That, or the Rachni Wars.

Unless they want to do some sort of aside going on in the ME1-ME2-ME3 timeframe somewhere else in the galaxy.[/QUOTE]

Though I'm certain I'll end up playing whatever they put out, I would happily throw my money at a Krogan-centric Rachni Wars title. HAPPILY.

Also acceptable: Super Mako Kart 20XX.

I'll play whatever they release but I kind of hope it's not a prequel with a First Contact War scenario. That just seems obvious and anticlimactic. I hope they either find a creative way to advance the timeline forward while still making it feel like Mass Effect, or set it concurrent to the main trilogy but tell a story that no one is expecting.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']That's what I was wondering about too, what if anything the engine choice reveals about whether ME4 will be a current or next gen game. Or both-- I don't think we can rule out a situation where a scaled-down version comes out for Xbox 360 and PS3.

If Dragon Age III and/or Mass Effect 4 is a launch title for next gen, it'll completely tank my plan to not be an early adopter next gen. :/[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I'll be in line for one for sure.

And yes, I bet it gets released on both platforms. Remember all that babble about "forwards compatibility" for the next xbox? I'm betting MS is providing the developers tools that makes it easy to compile their nextBox game for the 360 so they are less scared to dip their toes into next gen development.

As for storyline, they kind of shot themselves in the foot in how and how much backstory they gave on the reapers. They could have given it a cliffhanger man-pulling-the-strings ending that left more to do. Kind of what they did with Halo.

[quote name='Anexanhume']My thoughts: Dragon Age 3 next fall (launch title for new Xbox or PS?) followed approximately a year later by this new Mass Effect title. Personally I think the new engine is a sign of them switching gears to next gen (and frostbite is an EA product, completing the transition).[/QUOTE]I don't think that DA3 would be a launch title of the Xbox Next, though I could see ME "4" being a Xbox Next title. Not sure if they'd do a split release with 360/PS3 on one side and Xbox Next/PS4/Wii U on the other side.

Most likely if they're doing a new engine, it seems likely that they'll either enhance FB2 into FB2.5 like Epic did with UE3 over the years or just do it completely new. If it's new from the ground up, then it may be a next-next-gen title.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']That's what I was wondering about too, what if anything the engine choice reveals about whether ME4 will be a current or next gen game. Or both-- I don't think we can rule out a situation where a scaled-down version comes out for Xbox 360 and PS3.

If Dragon Age III and/or Mass Effect 4 is a launch title for next gen, it'll completely tank my plan to not be an early adopter next gen. :/[/QUOTE]I think DA3 will be a PS3/360 title, though it might end up with a Wii U version if EA has their say in things.

I would think that if they really want to do something new and fresh with this ME "4" title, it'll depend on what happens with the new FB engine.

[quote name='IanKazimer']Though I'm certain I'll end up playing whatever they put out, I would happily throw my money at a Krogan-centric Rachni Wars title. HAPPILY.

Also acceptable: Super Mako Kart 20XX.[/QUOTE]First Contact War or Rachni Wars seem like the next likely timeframe to center on because people that have done ME1-3 know those timeframes and what they entail.

They could really confuse us and set something during the Prothean Empire timeframe.

Super Mako Kart 20xx with new added Hammerhead action!

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I'll play whatever they release but I kind of hope it's not a prequel with a First Contact War scenario. That just seems obvious and anticlimactic. I hope they either find a creative way to advance the timeline forward while still making it feel like Mass Effect, or set it concurrent to the main trilogy but tell a story that no one is expecting.[/QUOTE]It may be obvious, though it's a timeframe we all can identify with. Might be a sign of a cash-grab title rather than something new and fresh.

Call of Mass Effect 4 confirmed?

[quote name='Anexanhume']Agreed. I'll be in line for one for sure.

And yes, I bet it gets released on both platforms. Remember all that babble about "forwards compatibility" for the next xbox? I'm betting MS is providing the developers tools that makes it easy to compile their nextBox game for the 360 so they are less scared to dip their toes into next gen development.

As for storyline, they kind of shot themselves in the foot in how and how much backstory they gave on the reapers. They could have given it a cliffhanger man-pulling-the-strings ending that left more to do. Kind of what they did with Halo.[/QUOTE]They've done enough retcon work with some of what ME3 did, what's a little more?

I'd still like to see a game centered around the Salarian STG in a similar (but more polished and improved) style to Republic Commando. It would be really fun to interact with Kirrahe, Mordin, Padok, Jondam Bau, and all the other Salarians we meet and at the same time provides an easy way to cross paths with other ME characters such as Garrus, Wrex, Anderson, Saren, TIM, etc. Could be set pre-ME1 (maybe even go back to see how the original genophage happened or find out the Salarians have a past with the humans/geth/quarians). I'd certainly be interested.

I have faith that Bioware can find a way to advance the story without having to do First Contact or Rachni wars, although I would not mind playing either of those stories. However, I think that humans will always have a place in the ME universe, so that would rule out the Rachni story.

I can envision the First Contact/Rachni war stories delivered via some other medium or handheld tie-in pre-release of ME4, which I am betting is a next-gen title. Regardless of the story or console it launches on, I'll be there.

[quote name='IanKazimer']Though I'm certain I'll end up playing whatever they put out, I would happily throw my money at a Krogan-centric Rachni Wars title. HAPPILY.

Also acceptable: Super Mako Kart 20XX.[/QUOTE]

Haha! aka Twisted Mako: Sur'kesh.

Very happy the ME franchise is continuing. I realize EA doesn't leave money on the table, but regardless it's good to have confirmation.

They def teased space battles like you know actually ordering ships around with the CIC (similar to End War's holographic intro) would be cool and I was actually expecting that in ME3. A little bit of RTS would kick some ass esp in the First Contact Wars or a future war we participate in. Yeah and on the ground, after you took out the remaining ships and planet defenses, 4 player squad based awesomeness with objectives. So basically I'm saying close up 3rd person version of Empire at War. Of course we'll keep the rpg, story and exploration of the ME formula intact though.

With the news of the FrostBite 2 Engine I want destructable environments and possibly integrate that into level design, (Renegade has another option of entering that building). ;)

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I'll play whatever they release but I kind of hope it's not a prequel with a First Contact War scenario. That just seems obvious and anticlimactic.[/QUOTE]
It's obvious and anticlimactic only if they're lazy and unimaginative about it. You can set a game in the First Contact War or whatever the fuck without it being about the First Contact War.

A) I'll be first in line for whatever they make. Regardless.
B) I hope they do three things:
1. Make ME4 a sequel and move the universe forward in the timeline with a human lead, make it a next-gen, mega-huge, big budget sci fi powerhouse.
2. Before that, I hope they make or do something with MP to bridge the story and wet our appetites
3. Start a side-series that puts the alien species in lead roles and takes us to known events/times in the universe, like the first contact war or rachni wars. These can be "one-off's" and smaller affairs. Maybe even downloadable.

Lol thought I'd share with you guys a few PC players who picked up Call of Duty: Black Ops II got a disc 2 of ME2 so Bioware put out there that they'd give them the PC code for the Mass Effect Trilogy with the first 50 people submitting their pic of them along next to the wrongly manufactured disc. Good Guy Bioware
"Rumor has it that about a thousand customers who purchased Call of Duty: Black Ops II for PC today were also treated to a surprise copy of Mass Effect 2. If you were one of the affected, chances are you thought it was a mistake, but we prefer to think that it was an omen, and when the universe talks, you should listen.
If the universe thinks that you should be playing Mass Effect right now, who are we to argue? In fact, we want to help! The first fifty fans affected by this phenomenon to send us a picture holding their special disc 2 will receive a code for a FREE PC copy of Mass Effect Trilogy.
Remember, in order to qualify, YOU must be in the picture, and disc 2 of your Call of Duty: Black Ops II must be visible. Got it? Then send your photo to [email protected] and you could be playing your very own Mass Effect Trilogy in time for the weekend!"

FYI a bunch of Origin accounts have been hacked in the last few days. All the blogs are talking about it so you might want to double check your account.

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']A) I'll be first in line for whatever they make. Regardless.
B) I hope they do three things:
1. Make ME4 a sequel and move the universe forward in the timeline with a human lead, make it a next-gen, mega-huge, big budget sci fi powerhouse.
2. Before that, I hope they make or do something with MP to bridge the story and wet our appetites
3. Start a side-series that puts the alien species in lead roles and takes us to known events/times in the universe, like the first contact war or rachni wars. These can be "one-off's" and smaller affairs. Maybe even downloadable.[/QUOTE]
That sounds pretty good to me, I definitely want them to move things forward and not do some kind of prequel or alternative viewpoint during the same timeline as the main game.

[quote name='ratzombie']That sounds pretty good to me, I definitely want them to move things forward and not do some kind of prequel or alternative viewpoint during the same timeline as the main game.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's just the easy way to do it. Usually when the dev's go that route, people loose interest. Look at ODST or Reach for Halo (good games, they just lost that "wow" factor) or even Gears Judgement doesn't seem all that interesting. I don't know. I'd love as much content as possible, but the series needs to move forward if it's going to stay relevant.

And how about that Mordin bust at biowarestore.com? Pretty sweet and a fair price, especially for early orders at $40. Tempting.

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']Yeah, that's just the easy way to do it. Usually when the dev's go that route, people loose interest. Look at ODST or Reach for Halo (good games, they just lost that "wow" factor) or even Gears Judgement doesn't seem all that interesting. I don't know. I'd love as much content as possible, but the series needs to move forward if it's going to stay relevant.

And how about that Mordin bust at biowarestore.com? Pretty sweet and a fair price, especially for early orders at $40. Tempting.[/QUOTE]

Haha I saw that posted on Facebook and was like yup ChubbyNinja is totally getting that.

As for doing a prequel interesting, they could always do the Black Ops/Dragon Age route of retelling the story that happened set after all the mayhem, (or in the middle of it for that matter).

Operation: GEARHEAD (Nov. 16th – 18th)

Event Description: Intel reveals that hostile forces are targeting our technical experts to damage our strategic capabilities. They must fail at this! Keep our people alive and inflict disproportionate losses wherever the enemy attempts this tactic.

Individual Goal: Earn 75,000 points as any engineer class and extract 3 times as any engineer class on any map at any difficulty. Points are cumulative across matches.

Reward: Commendation Pack

easy one this weekend

They have all been pretty easy under the new system. Earn X points using X. I appreciate leveling up my N7 weapons, but I do so miss allied goals. Helped with the sense of teamwork. Now everyone is just working toward building their own points.

Cool man yeah I love their sound and I'm digging this track. Whenever I hear the Part II track by them I'm teleported to when I finished Mass Effect and was blown away at how awesome this new sci-fi IP Bioware gave us. There are a few games I stay til the very end of the credits, partly via the music, and Mass Effect was one of them.

[quote name='Spybreak8']Not hearing the actual voice actors is off putting.[/QUOTE]

Not to mention the characters not looking anything like their game counterparts. :lol:

Drew this and posted it in the ME3 community of the Miiverse on the Wii U.

A8ISfEKCYAAitbB.jpg

It was flagged and deleted within a few hours. No fun allowed! :lol:

Alternate Appearance Pack 1

"Customize Shepard and squadmates with Appearance Pack 1! Select new outfits for Garrus, Liara, and EDI, and suit Shepard up in Cerberus's heavy Ajax Armor!"

Yay!

Tiny picture:

15g9n49.jpg

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Alternate Appearance Pack 1

"Customize Shepard and squadmates with Appearance Pack 1! Select new outfits for Garrus, Liara, and EDI, and suit Shepard up in Cerberus's heavy Ajax Armor!"

Yay!

Tiny picture:

15g9n49.jpg
[/QUOTE]

In.

If EDI doesn't have a camel toe, I'm not interested.

Fake edit: Armor shots, courtesy of the BSN.

Ajax Armor
1sm8lf.jpg

Garrus
8203883222_9163e92b02_o.jpg

Liara
8203883018_040a3f0bff_o.jpg

EDI
8203882952_18c5384282_o.jpg

Wow @ the stats on the Ajax armor. Seems like it probably replaces the Cerberus Assault Armor as the best choice for Soldier Shepard. A bit less weapon damage but the other stats make up for it.

bread's done
Back