Mass Effect 3 Discussion Thread

[quote name='js1']But what about Jack Wall!!! :cry: He did such an great job on the score on the first two games..[/QUOTE]
The music was one of the only things (in fact, probably the only thing) that I thought was better in ME1 than in ME2. Not that ME2's music wasn't good. I just really dug the synth-heavy '80s sci-fi vibe that ME1's music had going, and in ME2 they seemed to abandon that in favor of a more orchestral, typical action movie kind of thing. I wonder if this news means that ME3 will go even further in that direction.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Ryuukishi']The music was one of the only things (in fact, probably the only thing) that I thought was better in ME1 than in ME2. Not that ME2's music wasn't good. I just really dug the synth-heavy '80s sci-fi vibe that ME1's music had going, and in ME2 they seemed to abandon that in favor of a more orchestral, typical action movie kind of thing. I wonder if this news means that ME3 will go even further in that direction.[/QUOTE]

Same here, I enjoyed ME 1 soundtrack a bit more than than the ME 2. But after listening to some of Mansell's work(the Fountain and Moon soundtrack) they sound very orchestral and dramatic.

Makes me wonder if it's because that ME 3 will be more dramatic and perhaps the potential for more loss(characters, Earth perhaps?) more so than ME 2(is that possible!?). It kinda stinks that Wall and crew could not finish what they started with the first two games..

I wonder why the change though. The scores for both games is still better than most if not all games that I have ever played..

[quote name='Anexanhume']I am excited about the announcement, but I fear Mansell's lack of experience in video games. I hope he can adequately capture the mood of Mass Effect.[/QUOTE]

This is what worries me the most. I wonder if they will reuse some of the themes(character) at all? I hope so, IE: The Illusive Man theme.

Really bummed to hear about Jack Wall not scoring the game. Hopefully he'll be involved some how. Mansell definitely has skins on the wall, though. I just hope that he revisits some classic songs/themes from the first two games and puts his own epic touch to them.

[quote name='js1']This is what worries me the most. I wonder if they will reuse some of the themes(character) at all? I hope so, IE: The Illusive Man theme.[/QUOTE]

I really hope so, too. The first time we see Mr. Illusive in the game, if his theme isn't playing, it's not going to feel right. Same thing with all of the characters in ME2.

[quote name='Arikado']Really bummed to hear about Jack Wall not scoring the game. Hopefully he'll be involved some how. Mansell definitely has skins on the wall, though. I just hope that he revisits some classic songs/themes from the first two games and puts his own epic touch to them.[/QUOTE]

From what I read on Sam Hulick(who also worked with Wall on the ME ST's) FB page it read this:

Hey all, just wanted to say that BioWare's choice of Clint Mansell for ME3 is a great one, I'm sure he'll do a fantastic job and I'm excited to hear his treatment of the Mass Effect themes! To answer a couple questions on Twitter: no, I will not be contributing in any way, unfortunately, and I'm ok with that. :)

[quote name='Arikado']Really bummed to hear about Jack Wall not scoring the game. Hopefully he'll be involved some how. Mansell definitely has skins on the wall, though. I just hope that he revisits some classic songs/themes from the first two games and puts his own epic touch to them.[/QUOTE]

From SamHulick's (who worked with Wall on the ME ST's)FB page:

Hey all, just wanted to say that BioWare's choice of Clint Mansell for ME3 is a great one, I'm sure he'll do a fantastic job and I'm excited to hear his treatment of the Mass Effect themes! To answer a couple questions on Twitter: no, I will not be contributing in any way, unfortunately, and I'm ok with that.

[quote name='Arikado']I really hope so, too. The first time we see Mr. Illusive in the game, if his theme isn't playing, it's not going to feel right. Same thing with all of the characters in ME2.[/QUOTE]

Man, I'll drop kick a Krogan if that's the case! But, I would think it would be a rework/remix of some of the classic/character themes and then new workings for the rest of the game.

I'll hope that Clint Mansell can carry on the excellent work done by Jack Wall, since the soundtracks for all of ME1 and ME2 have been some auditory delights.

Between the two games, I'd also have to put the nods to ME1 over ME2 as well, though they're both excellent. I just think that ME1 is a bit better in the theme of the Mass Effect universe.

Hopefully there can be some information flow from Jack Wall to Clint Mansell.

I just worry EA is trying to pull an Activision and have a name person (Hans Zimmer did the MW 2 soundtrack) do the soundtrack thinking that will help them take away sales from CoD whatever/Halo 1 remake/Gears 3/Uncharted 3/Skyrim/Assassin's Creed whatever since all 7 of them will be going head-to-head in November.

From GamingUnion.net:
Wall confirmed with Eurogamer that his absence in Mass Effect 3 was not the result of any drama, but that it was just time for him to move on.

"I have had a great relationship with the folks at BioWare having done three games with them. We're all still very good friends, so nothing dramatic," he said.

"I think it was just time for a change. I'm so proud of the work I've done on the ME franchise and I so appreciate the kind words about those scores from people like yourself.

"It was just time to move on. I'm working on some very exciting projects and look forward to when I can announce them, but also very much wish the dev team at BioWare all the best on ME3."

So it looks like he isn't involved at all, nor is Sam Hulick. Hopefully, Mansell can finish what those two started and deliver a fitting soundtrack to cap off the trilogy.

Meant to post this here a few days ago >_<

Although Sam Hulick is not involved with the Mass Effect 3 soundtrack, he did recently release a clip of what he described as "what ME3 would sound like if I had worked on it". Take a listen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgK6rmXV3rw

This shit is sooooo good :cool: I'm hoping that Clint can somehow match this tone with his work. It's a near-perfect sync of ME1 and ME2's soundtrack.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']Meant to post this here a few days ago >_<

This shit is sooooo good :cool: I'm hoping that Clint can somehow match this tone with his work. It's a near-perfect sync of ME1 and ME2's soundtrack.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a mix between Tron and Blade Runner, and I mean that in the most positive way possible. Would have worked very well IMO.

After his work on Requiem, I have astronomical expectations of Mansell though.

That fan art is face-melting. I can't get over it, especially the Miranda one. Beats the hell out of anything Bioware has put out as official art.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Looks like the ME3 info floodgates are going to start opening next month.[/QUOTE]

I'm going to try and go dark, but man, after Arrival, I don't think I can.

Yeah so copying, with a bit of tweaking and addition, what I said in the ME2 thread with speculations for Mass Effect 3.
The first paragraph is about Arrival so if you haven't finished or played that skip the paragraph. --------Start Arrival Spoiler As the resultant of the epic Arrival DLC you blow up a freakin Mass Relay, a whole Batarian system is destroyed! Oh the Batarians aren't going to like this. I bet they become a constant threat in Mass Effect 3. -------End Arrival Spoiler

This and the decision you made with the Batarian in Bringing Down the Sky (also another asteroid, hmm I see a pattern here ^^) could really add to what the writers can think up with ME3. Seriously take from source material like World Wars where one faction or nation attacks another and the others band towards their preferred sides in the war.

I really hope this becomes like a Good factions vs Evil factions story like from what we've seen in Star Wars where we see all the different races/worlds/cultures of the universe in the epic struggle. You'll have allies (Salarian/Krogan/Human/Turians/Quarians/Drell?), with possibly specific previous party members leading them (ex Rex/Grunt/Leader Clan Urdnot for the Krogan) and enemies, the Reapers, with accompanying enemy factions like the Batarians, Indoctrinated Humans, Geth (amount depending on what you do with Legion's loyalty mission), Rachni (depending on what you did on Noveria).

My guess of story with the allies with specific races:
Salarian - Something related to the genophage
Krogan - Again some related to the genophage/Clan Unification
Human - Alliance/Cerberus relations
Turians - Diplomatic relation based on size of Alliance/Turian Fleet.
Quarians - Something related to taking back their home planet from the Geth.

So my guess is you could take the loyalty of your crew members formula Mass Effect 2 uses and transition it to the loyalty of the specific races of the universe. Now that would be bad ass.
:drool:

I actually hope that ME3 doesn't go that route, if only because it's what most people seem to be predicting and it seems like the "obvious" next step. I would rather see it go in an unexpected or counterintuitive direction, like ME2. How many people expected Shepard to die, then be brought back to life, then become a pariah and throw in his lot with Cerberus instead of the Alliance? That's the kind of thing I want more of from ME3.

Oh no. The evidence keeps stacking up... ME3 will get its first media blitz soon, and my attempt to go dark will be tested.

An imminent gameplay reveal for Mass Effect 3 has been backed up by another games mag.

The latest issue of Official Xbox Magazine - which is with subscribers now - promises a full reveal for the BioWare sequel in its next issue, on sale May 9.

Earlier than that, respected UK unofficial title PSM3 has said it's to boast a "world-first look at Mass Effect 3 on PS3" in its next release, which goes on sale on April 28.

Meanwhile US retailer mag Game Informer's promising a reveal of a "highly anticipated" sequel to one of 2010's best games, with its issue likely to arrive this month. That's Mass Effect 3, then.

[quote name='Arikado']Oh no. The evidence keeps stacking up... ME3 will get its first media blitz soon, and my attempt to go dark will be tested.[/QUOTE]

Well, I better get to Kohls and get me some new britches because there's gonna be a lot of pants-shittin goin on in April, it seems.

Cannot freaking wait!

After this initial blitz, I may go dark. I'll try at least.

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']Well, I better get to Kohls and get me some new britches because there's gonna be a lot of pants-shittin goin on in April, it seems.

Cannot freaking wait!

After this initial blitz, I may go dark. I'll try at least.[/QUOTE]

Not possible for me. Good luck with that.

Ready the spoiler tags, people!

I plan on attempting to avoid any and all spoilers about the story if possible, and ESPECIALLY who your recruitable squad is going to be.

Looks like I'll need to start drafting my farewell speech and prepare the underground vault for my 8 month stay.

Oh, how I've dreaded the day when ME3 information begins to hit :cry:

It's official. May's Game Informer cover revealed:

may2011cover1280.jpg

[quote name='Arikado']It's official. May's Game Informer cover revealed:

may2011cover1280.jpg
[/QUOTE]

shepards pants look tight as hell.. i think its squeezing his crotch. i mean take a look at that shit

and that fan art looks amazing. especially the shepard one, its such a powerful image. i hope mirandas back.. i dont mind having her in the team again.

Argh I'll be getting the magazine in the mail and I'm really going to want to read it! Oh well. Maybe you guys that will read it can tell me if it's spoilerific or not.

may2011cover1280.jpg
[/QUOTE]

fucking awesome!!!

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']Looks like I'll need to start drafting my farewell speech and prepare the underground vault for my 8 month stay.

Oh, how I've dreaded the day when ME3 information begins to hit :cry:[/QUOTE]Time to break out Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas, if you're going into the underground vault? ;)

may2011cover1280.jpg
[/QUOTE]Nerdgasm am confirmed. :drool:

[quote name='Ryuukishi']:drool:[/QUOTE]Agreed. :drool:

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I am hoping for some returning squadmate confirmations. That is the #1 thing I want to see.[/QUOTE]I think I'm up for that as well as the #1 item, followed up with the question of returning characters that used to be squadmates, as well as who's coming back for NPCs.

My #2 thing is I'd like to know that BioWare isn't going to roll back any of ME2's gameplay improvements due to "fan" pressure. (Flame war over ammo and loot commence! :lol:)

[quote name='Ryuukishi']My #2 thing is I'd like to know that BioWare isn't going to roll back any of ME2's gameplay improvements due to "fan" pressure. (Flame war over ammo and loot commence! :lol:)[/QUOTE]I'd have to put that up there with the lower numbered requests, though I had another one that came to mind:

Are we going to see what the Quarians look like under their suits? :shock:

Good grief, I don't think I've ever desired a magazine as much as next month's GI. And that's coming from a game-magazine-nerd from the late '80's.

This is going to be 12 pages of OMG, pants-peeing, excitement.

Details are supposedly starting to leak out. I'm still going to try my damndest to go in completely blind into ME3, so please, PLEASE use spoiler tags if you post ANYTHING involving the game at all.

So cover analysis...

I want to say Northern Africa/Eastern Europe was hit. But the burning land also looks like North America/North South America.

Continental shift? But isn't it only like 200 years or so in the future?

Edit:

Earth in Mass Effect 2

Thought on the story.
Looking back at the Mass Effect 2's first teaser trailer, Maybe Earth gets destroyed in the very beginning of the game? And then the rest of the game is going after The Collectors.

Hopefully with Legion and the Geth army. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just finished my Mass Effect 1 playthrough again, this time secured Insanity run!, and man there's no way anyone can take out thousands of Reapers without help. I mean the only reason Sovereign was taken out was due to the "disconnection" you caused while fighting at the end and the bombardment of the Alliance Fleet. True the fleets will grow over time but still way outmatched and outgunned in ME3 lol. It's like the Death Star, no way to take it out unless you get the shields from the orbiting planet below. :D

I never thought I'd have to do this late on a random-ass Thursday night/early Friday morning, but I know when it's time to stick around and when it's time to pack it up and walk away. Unfortunately, with the rumors floating around that the GameInformer issue has been leaked online already, now is the time for me to run walk away.

I want to quickly refer back to the 2nd post of the thread that features my OP Disclaimer, just for repetition's sake. I really hope that people adhere to the very few rules that I put out there for the thread - namely: spoiler tag anything/everything that remotely reveals specific information about the game (whether you think it's a spoiler or not), don't take offense to/start a huge fight over something if someone asks you to spoiler tag a specific part of your post, and just be respectful no matter how crazy someone's ideas/opinions/rants may be.

I'm already in the process of sending a PM to Shrike asking that he tighten his enforcement belt wherever he sees fit (obviously I won't be around to report something, etc.) in here, since he's one of the most active posters in the CAG Mass Effect realm of things. I'm simply doing it out of fairness to the people who've been building their way up to ME3 over the years, who really don't deserve to see "specific information #3" plastered on their screen and ruined for them before having the chance to experience it in-game. I'm not trying to say that one slip up will cost you your CAG account or anything ridiculous like that, but just be smart about the discussions and - trust me - the buildup to ME3 will be a very enjoyable one.

For most of you, this really isn't much of a "goodbye" post, as I'll still be active in the ME2 thread (and other various things such as DA2, etc.) until the inevitable overlap from ME3 discussions really starts to hit the ME2 thread and I have to yell and people and then leave in fear/frustration :lol: I will, however, be absent from posting in this thread for the foreseeable future (probably until an E3 trailer) and I will be unsubscribing to it so the UserCP doesn't haunt me everytime I sign into CAG. Like I mentioned in the disclaimer, don't expect title changes or much OP action until the generic release date, box art, special edition information, and announcement trailer all get released.

April 8th (D-Day) - "Holiday 2011". The wait only gets harder from here.

-------------------

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have an underground bunker to attend to.

:cool:

The article has begun to leak online. Check x360a.com news page for basic bullet points on some key items.

The non spoiler details...article mentions how ME3 will start, some confirmed squadmates, some characters who will appear but possibly not be squadmates, details on the battle system, and how certain organizations might view Shepard.

Why did I write the post this way instead of just linking it or spoiler tagging the details? So that you may know what to expect if you consider reading the article or clicking that spoiler button in posts to follow. Oh, and I know X will be happy.

I personally can't wait for the issue to arrive.

My thoughts on the article:

Link, for reference: http://gamingeverything.com/?p=3119

No real surprises with the character info. Did anyone not think that Ashley/Kaidan and Garrus would be back? Though, Liara confirmed as playable, rather than a non-squadmate NPC, is interesting.

Hair down, glammed up Ash: not sure if want. I liked her as a buttoned-up, hardass soldier, this new look seems uncomfortably close to Miranda. And that's a lot of speculation about what a character is going to be like based on one blurry scan. :)

Gameplay changes sound solid. I'm glad that the weapons will be set up similar to ME2, and the customizable upgrades/attachments sound like a good compromise for the people who wanted more loot.

I'm surprised that the intro of the game will follow so directly from Arrival. It makes sense and seems like a cool intro for the game, but people who didn't play the DLC are going to be pretty lost as to why Shepard killed a ton of Batarians and is now on trial on Earth.

As a Cerberus fan, I'm ever so slightly miffed that we won't be playing on their team anymore, but I'm sure it will all fit in to the story. If Shepard's not working for Cerberus, and presumably not for the Alliance or the Council either, then who will be his organizational support in ME3?

It sounds like there are going to be plenty of mutually exclusive squadmates that we'll have to choose between. Replay value!

Still waiting with bated breath to hear if we get Jack back. ;)

Ahhhhhhhh I can't wait!!!

I hope that Miranda makes a return. I know she's going to be in the game, but if you romanced her, it sounds like she might pull an ME2 Ashley and ally with Cerberus instead of staying with you :cry:

Oh well. NO MULTIPLAYER is the best news about ME3.

bread's done
Back