Mass Effect 3 Discussion Thread

[quote name='theredworm']Grats!! Yeah the kroguard was super easy but exciting still. How long did your solos take?[/QUOTE]

Embarrassingly long. 72 mins for the first and 90 for the second. But I made it out alive. ;)

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Yeah, I do like the dub for Nausicaa. Kiki's is one of my very favorite films, and the dub isn't all-around terrible, but Phil Hartman does almost single-handedly ruin it with a tone-deaf and completely inappropriate performance as Jiji-- not even his fault really, more the fault of whatever writer decided to turn Jiji into a Disney-style wisecracking sidekick. I have absolutely no problem with dubs if they're well done, I just think the best dubs come from hiring proven VA talent, not just going for recognizable Hollywood names.

Carrie-Anne Moss I actually feel is an example of spending big money for a big-name actress and getting a performance that's perfectly competent, but nothing special or memorable. Any number of no-name VO actresses could have given that performance. Just IMO. Whereas Seth Green and Martin Sheen were money extremely well spent.[/QUOTE]

I have never listened to the dub for Kiki's (and never EVER will), but from what you're saying, it sounds like the writer's fault (the person who translated the script for a more "American" friendly audience). I strongly suggest you listen to the Japanese track with English subtitles. In the proper track, Jiji doesn't come off as a wise-cracking sidekick. He comes off more as Kiki's partner. Yes, a few lines are very much "sidekick" territory, but the majority? Partner, easily.

Also, I agree with you on Carrie-Anne Moss, Seth Green, and Martin Sheen. No real reason to hire Moss (generic), but Green and Sheen were well worth it. To the point where you couldn't see anyone else playing the role. The simple truth is that even though your favorite actor/actress may SEEM like a perfect fit for a role, you never know what kind of acting you'll get. Moss could've been perfect, no doubt. But it's clear that the director's and our vision, didn't mesh together. Seemingly perfect people, don't necessarily make the best choices.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I've got the DVD of Kiki's with the original Japanese audio and the dub track. It's a shame because the dub would be passable if not for Hartman. Definitely stick with the original audio for that movie.

Now, something like Cowboy Bebop, I can't even imagine listening to the Japanese because to me, Steve Blum IS Spike Spiegel, period (not to mention the other outstanding performances).

Yea, Cowboy Bebop has a pretty decent dub. It's the rare case where you can't really go wrong with either.

Heard Goldenboy's dub? Man, that guy was REALLY into it. Excellent dub there.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']If my ears aren't deceiving me, it's Ali Hillis (our own Liara T'Soni) playing the new female main character in Gears Judgment.[/QUOTE]

Nothing on IMDB other than Cole/Baird, but Ali was in Amazing Spiderman, Ninja Gaiden 3, Naruto: UNS 3, Resident Evil Revelations, SWTOR, and Kid Icarus in specific, credited, character roles in the last year plus outside of being Lightning and Liara.

I was watching "Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes" on Netflix the other night. Jennifer Hale pretty much does her Cmd. Shepard voice for Ms. Marvel. Which was only more highlighted in a scene where Captain America is standing right beside her and says "we hold the line".

It's funny that they got so many "execute him!" responses. Especially considering that after ME1 came out, people voted Wrex as their favorite character for that year.

I've been reading the 'talks' from the Bioware team this past week and that one is one of the better ones. If not simply for his Faunts shout-out at the end.

Did you guys see the Normandy/N7 medallion that Casey Hudson gave everyone on the team? What I'd do for one of those........unspeakable things......

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']As a staunch supporter of the original ME3 ending (I am one of few), I don't usually partake in end-game theory discussion, but this one has an interesting take on it that takes into account the Citadel DLC. It's an interesting read and probably the last we'll get at this depth at this point.

http://kotaku.com/5991791/one-last-crazy-theory-about-mass-effect-3s-ending[/QUOTE]

I think this might be more interesting if we hadnt been able to ask about Purgatory in the main game and get the same response.

social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/343/index/16356613/2#16357624

Hey guys - so yes the servers and challenge systems will keep running as long as we can keep them up but there will no longer be any organized weekend events.

Perfect timing, my son was born late Monday night so my gaming isn't on my list of things to do right now

[quote name='theredworm']social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/343/index/16356613/2#16357624

Hey guys - so yes the servers and challenge systems will keep running as long as we can keep them up but there will no longer be any organized weekend events.

Perfect timing, my son was born late Monday night so my gaming isn't on my list of things to do right now[/QUOTE]

Congratulations, soldier.

Thanks for posting that, Arikado! I asked Robyn Thebarge, who put that together, if they'd show it to the public and she said they were thinking about it. Glad they did.

http://twitter.com/masseffect/status/315562410893258752/photo/1

Last edited by a moderator:
There's all kinds of interesting little bits coming out of the PAX seminars. Stupid stuff, like how Patrick Weekes lobbied to have Tali as a squad member in ME3 when she originally wasn't supposed to be one.

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']There's all kinds of interesting little bits coming out of the PAX seminars. Stupid stuff, like how Patrick Weekes lobbied to have Tali as a squad member in ME3 when she originally wasn't supposed to be one.[/QUOTE]

Yea fuck Tali

I can't believe they actually were going to keep elevators as "gameplay" for ME3 and only didn't put them in because they ran out of time. Seriously, I thought they learned their lesson from ME1. The guy in charge of that said he wanted to make the elevators faster, worked and worked on the system and they were just as slow as the ME1 ones. lol I also liked how Casey Hudson, when asked what's your favorite location, totally talked about characters and the stories you can create in Mass Effect. Wow, soooo is he a politician, lol.

I'm not sure how I felt about the elevators. Sure, I hated them in ME1, but then they went to generic loading screens. Break the immersion or keep it and have a long ride up?

It's a tough call, honestly. I wouldn't have minded the elevator rides if they had WAY more banter though. Or side quests. Or random bits of information. Really, anything to keep it from being a silent ride for a full minute. Hell, give me stock updates from the Mass Effect Stock Exchange! The Illium and Poor 500! Something.

[quote name='theredworm']this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdIEA-PZKEY[/QUOTE]

I am actually learning to LOVE tech armor. I have been going back and trying a lot of non popular characters and getting power cycles down with them. was mopping up reapers hard with Krogan Soldier power build with grenade + V. I started a tech armor Krogan Sentinel Melee build too that is quite fun. I am up for tech armor night.

Maybe others have seen this already, but the New Yorker did a profile of Jennifer Hale in 2011 that has a lot of interesting info on Mass Effect and voice acting in general. I somehow hadn't read it until today.

One amusing anecdote, during a VO session for Mass Effect 3, Jennifer Hale had to be reminded of whether Shepard had heard of Cerberus before. :lol: It's weird, in one sense Hale has a more intimate relationship to Shepard and the Mass Effect story than almost any other person; but at the same time, she hasn't played the games and the role is just one of hundreds of characters that she performs every day.

http://archives.newyorker.com/?i=2011-08-15#folio=048

It's nice that they put this kind of stuff out. Not having to play through ME1/2 saves a lot of time.

It just sucks that they aren't more comprehensive. Seems like a cash grab.

oh it is lol, but for a few bucks it saves me going through content I have done 3 times fully and move to the ME3 stuff I haven't yet ran through. The money spent is worth the 30-50 Hours it saves IMO.

I'm definitely getting Genesis 2. Just because I want to see the content and it will make future playthroughs quicker.

As for the SR-1 replica, I decided to not get it. I'm fine with the SR-2 one. If they guaranteed a huge quality jump then maybe.

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']I'm definitely getting Genesis 2. Just because I want to see the content and it will make future playthroughs quicker.

As for the SR-1 replica, I decided to not get it. I'm fine with the SR-2 one. If they guaranteed a huge quality jump then maybe.[/QUOTE]If I read it right, Genesis 2 covers the events of ME1 + ME2, so there's no need to get Genesis 1 which does just ME1.

[quote name='Spybreak8']Yeah but $4!, sorry I guess I'm true much of a CAG lol to pick that up?[/QUOTE]

Dunno, feel like Mass Effect overrides the majority of our CAG sides, especially in this thread.

[quote name='gotdott']Dunno, feel like Mass Effect overrides the majority of our CAG sides, especially in this thread.[/QUOTE]

this. coming from the guy that bought all the ME1 wallpapers... and i don't think i have ever used them.

bread's done
Back