Mass Effect 3 Discussion Thread

[quote name='shrike4242']I'm assuming this is for the demo?[/QUOTE]
Yeah, it basically asks you to choose between "Ashley died," "Kaidan died," and "Numerous deaths." I chose Numerous and got Ashley as the Virmire survivor, but nothing else was different from the "Kaidan died" scenario as far as I could tell.

[quote name='shrike4242']They're supposed to be sliding back towards some middle between ME1 and ME2 for inventory management, so we may not know until the game releases. The demo may not have a lot of that built into it. [/QUOTE]

In the demo, there are armor pieces and weapon mods scattered throughout. You can't customize anything, but it's good to know there are things hidden away in areas, so exploring every corner will be beneficial.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Yeah, it basically asks you to choose between "Ashley died," "Kaidan died," and "Numerous deaths." I chose Numerous and got Ashley as the Virmire survivor, but nothing else was different from the "Kaidan died" scenario as far as I could tell.[/QUOTE]I would assume "Numerous deaths" would mimic bad choices done in the endgame at the collector base, such as sending Jacob into the steam tunnels instead of Katsumi or Tali, having someone other than Samara or Jack do the biotic barrier, and so on.

Probably has more weight in the main game than the demo.

[quote name='Arikado']In the demo, there are armor pieces and weapon mods scattered throughout. You can't customize anything, but it's good to know there are things hidden away in areas, so exploring every corner will be beneficial.[/QUOTE]Guess my normal "look in all the corners" tactics from DA and DA2 will come in handy if they're randomly scattering upgrades around the area.

I had the demo downloading this morning before I left for work though haven't touched it yet.

Have to go pull down the PC demo as well to see how it compares to the 360 version.

[quote name='Arikado']In the demo, there are armor pieces and weapon mods scattered throughout. You can't customize anything, but it's good to know there are things hidden away in areas, so exploring every corner will be beneficial.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, kind of like research was hidden about in ME2. I wonder if they've eliminated research for stat boosts?

[quote name='LondonGaijin']can anyone confirm that downloading the demo as a free Xbox user, gives you a temporary GOLD upgrade?[/QUOTE]

EA has said so, but most of us have Gold so we wouldn't be able to confirm.

There are a handful of ME3 avatar items starting to show up on the XBLM.

If you go to the Mass Effect 3 category, you can only see the N7 armor and N7 hoodie, but there's some additional stuff that you can find if you search for it directly.

Reaper pet
Atlas pet
Vega's shirt
Anderson's uniform
Cerberus armor
Shepard casual wear
Omni-tool

I don't remember seeing anything about getting something for KofA when I beat the demo for ME3. Does it say you will get anything?

[quote name='SaraAB']I downloaded the demo but DID NOT get a free upgrade to Xbox live gold until the game is released March 6 as was advertised.[/QUOTE]
Yeah I think a lot of sites didn't understand what was being said. I think the MP portion will be free until the 6th -- no gold. =[

[quote name='Ryuukishi']My artbook came in the mail today. Spoilers get! :D[/QUOTE]Mine did as well, though a couple days delayed thanks to UPS.

Another user on another forum said
Demo is awesome; my first impression is it plays a LOT like ME2 (which I don't think is a bad thing). The only bad thing about this demo? It's only a demo.

This lol

It's great to actually see a futuristic Earth, wow that was awesome (and totally what I wanted when they hinted we might be able to see what Earth will look like in 2183 back with the previous Mass Effect games. Graphics are sawweeet and looks like the character models have been tweaked to a very good resemblance of what they should look like. Speaking of which the first time I saw Ashley though I was like holy shit that's Ashley? I had a few problems with cover, or getting into cover or getting out of cover accidentally. I'm sure though they've tweaked the whole game by now, since it's gone gold and all.

It was also nice to get the cameos of all the characters you've grown accustomed to on the Normandy from ME2, and/or ME1. I mean I've bonded with these virtual guys and gals. Watching the back and forth with Wrex (that's not a spoiler right) and Garrus put a huge smile on my face, to the point that I was like holy crap I'm watching the Expendables Mass Effect edition haha.

I smiled, I cried, I yelled, I fell in love. Best valentine's gift!

Also managed to snag a pre-order of the CE, super excited! I had ordered the regular game from Newegg, then cancelled as I found Toys R Us had the CE and then cancelled as I found out Best Buy got in their CE's for the 360 version (which were all sold out online). Plan to pick it up on the 6th, store is fairly close and I didn't know if Toys R Us gave a pre-order weapon code.

And yes you get the Omniblades in KoA:R, you'll get a message to check out the special delivery quest but at this point they're pretty poor in stats to my other weapons (lvl 11 atm).

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Is it known for sure that we'll be able to change the class of an imported Shepard, like in ME2?[/QUOTE]

Yeah.

EDIT: And on a bit of a side note, I wish they'd have allowed for loadout customization in the SP demo, since most classes don't play very well with 15+ second ability cooldowns.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure if this has been thrown into this thread yet, but there's a Mass Effect 3 Recruiting App on Facebook now. If you link your Origin account to it, beat the demo, and invite a friend who does the same thing, then you both get multiplayer access today and Recruitment Packs (no clue what they do, but it seems you get more as more friends finish their demo) when the game releases.

https://apps.facebook.com/mass-effect/?fb_source=canvas_bkmk_top&count=0

I was going to offer to help anyone else if they needed a friend to recruit, but it turns out that you can't be recruited if you've already done the stuff. Makes sense, but darn.

Another FB app? Good grief, I'm not much of a facebook guy and I don't have that many friends into gaming who'd be into this on FB. Oh well.

As for mission command, the next award is a Commander Shepard shirt that is not available on xbox live, so that's something noteworthy.

I also got the artbook today and it's really nice. Nice and oversized, beautiful art. Good stuff.

The kinect intergration works pretty well. Took some memorizing of the commands (which it shows you if you pretty much point at anything in the ability/weapon pause menu) but it works well. It's too early to tell but towards the end of the demo it felt like a whole new level of submersion.

But I am sure many old school gamers will never be able to get past it being a "gimmick".

"Liara Pistol"
"Garus Grenade"
"Shockwave"

All worked like a charm.

well I played thru the single player demo and got to about level 10 on multiplayer. the single player was good... it was mass effect. it's as streamlined/linear as Mass Effect 2 which I guess was to be expected, but still a bit disappointing as I've been dying for them to open this game up more and make it more free-roamish. But, of course the music/writing/atmosphere/combat are all great. the combat and menus are all almost identical to Mass Effect 2, which is fine, but I wish they would've changed it up a bit more.

my favorite part about the demo was the multiplayer, the only mode there is was like a horde mode, but it's extremely fun and rewarding as you level up just like in single player, and can unlock powers/guns/scopes and upgrades/etc. and this makes it have that addicting factor, i enjoyed it up until about level 10 before deciding to give it a break and now am wanting to go play some more.

I just hope that since it's just a demo, there'll be more in the final game (almost definitely there will be i'm sure). since the multiplayer demo only had 2 different maps and only the one horde mode to play. hopefully the retail release has more maps and different modes, and maybe more specific stuff to spend cash on besides the 2 boxes of random goodies (one box for 5000 credits gives you some random stuff with small chance of getting a rare gun and then the other box for 20,000 credits gives you more random stuff than the other, with a guaranteed chance of getting a rare gun).

all in all I enjoyed both single player and multiplayer demos and will definitely be getting the full game when it's out, but i still am wishing the single player was more open/less "go here, shoot that, go there". i found nothing around corners except one scope upgrade for a pistol, i want more loot damnit.

also I didn't notice any unlocks for Mass Effect 3 / Kingdoms of Amalur either, which kind of sucks as I thought there were supposed to be unlocks while playing thru the demo.

[quote name='Deserter Goose']I'm not sure if this has been thrown into this thread yet, but there's a Mass Effect 3 Recruiting App on Facebook now. If you link your Origin account to it, beat the demo, and invite a friend who does the same thing, then you both get multiplayer access today and Recruitment Packs (no clue what they do, but it seems you get more as more friends finish their demo) when the game releases.

https://apps.facebook.com/mass-effect/?fb_source=canvas_bkmk_top&count=0[/QUOTE]

PM me if you can let me recruit you for this thing. My facebook is all family and high school friends, so I need some else so I can get in on sweet sweet MP.

Anyone else getting controller disconnects when playing the MP demo? I have checked and the batteries have a full charge and I should not be getting the issue. I play everything else just fine but the MP demo it will pop up in random games and does it 3 or 4 times. After it does it in one game I am fine for 2 or 3 more games then it does it again.

OH. MY. GOD.

Multiplayer is fucking fantastic. Way better than I could have imagined.

Wouldn't mind trying to get a group of people to play in a few rounds tonight, if possible. I've already got a handful of friends I play with, but I think a little CAG meet-and-greet would be kind of cool (like I said in an earlier post, it's pretty much the reason we sent each other friend requests...right?) I know MSUHitman gave it a shot, but I didn't have the room for him and his friend (sorry again about that). If some of the long-time regulars here are down, I'll be on from at least 8pm - 2am CST. I'll try and remember to hit you guys up with invites if I see you on the demo. Post here in the thread what time you'll be around, and let's make it happen!

For information's sake: I have a level 9 Human Vanguard and a level 9 Quarian Engineer. I definitely prefer to play Vanguard, but I'm willing to change into a different class in the interest of keeping the squad diverse.

Played to level 10 in MP before calling it a night.
Love it.

Only gripe so far is the camera being a bit too close and not adjusting when you try running laterally.

Hey X, I'm in for a CAG meet n' greet. We need an official CAG squad. I have a level 7 vanguard and a level 3 soldier. I promise I will so my best to not Leroy Jenkins too much. ;)

I get online about 9:00 pm EST. And can play for a few hours during the week. I can play all night in the weekends.

Am I the only one unhappy with the running? It feels way to out of control and way to fast. I know it's supposed to be fast paced but something about it doesn't feel smooth to me.

The rest of the moves are great though. Love the areas in cover pointing your way out of cover. Great touch with a 3d camera.

[quote name='Deserter Goose']I'm not sure if this has been thrown into this thread yet, but there's a Mass Effect 3 Recruiting App on Facebook now. If you link your Origin account to it, beat the demo, and invite a friend who does the same thing, then you both get multiplayer access today and Recruitment Packs (no clue what they do, but it seems you get more as more friends finish their demo) when the game releases.

https://apps.facebook.com/mass-effect/?fb_source=canvas_bkmk_top&count=0

I was going to offer to help anyone else if they needed a friend to recruit, but it turns out that you can't be recruited if you've already done the stuff. Makes sense, but darn.[/QUOTE]
I haven't played the demo yet, someone recruit me. PM me with your email address I guess?

enjoyed the demo, perhaps playing too much gears recently i'm comparing the two when I shouldn't be. fem_shep has mad booty son.

perhaps the wording is confusing but the FB referral app msg sounds like you can still unlock recruitment packs in the game even if you don't recruit via FB. any insight on that?

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']Not really a "hey, look at me" piece (still not playing too great yet), but I felt like uploading some footage of the MP portion of the game for those missing out (or just bored). It undoubtedly features your boy, me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6AGLGFPPss[/QUOTE]
Looks awesome. Cryo is a beast!

I recruited some Facebook friends and got early access, so I'll be playing tonight.

Can you use any combination of race and class? Like could I be a drell Engineer?

I spent a couple hours playing the demo yesterday (multiplayer primarily). Still not sure how I feel about it (the multiplayer). It was definitely a fun distraction for the short amount of time I played, but I can see it getting old quickly. First of all, the gameplay in ME3 is largely unchanged from ME2. That's not a bad thing because ME2 was a lot of fun. However, as a cover-based third-person shooter it still does not play as nice as say Gears of War. Second, while I do enjoy the leveling-up system, I do wish that classes had new skills that could buff teammates or tag-team with other class skills (a la the Wolverine Colossus fastball special). Finally, the horde mode game type is becoming tired and played out. I'm doubt that the final version of the game will offer anything drastically different from what we've been shown, but I'm hopeful.

I was never opposed to the idea of Bioware exploring a cooperative multiplayer component for the Mass Effect series. I think what they have shown is a competent addition to the game, but I don't think it will have the legs to keep me playing for hours on end.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']OH. MY. GOD.

Multiplayer is fucking fantastic. Way better than I could have imagined.

Wouldn't mind trying to get a group of people to play in a few rounds tonight, if possible. I've already got a handful of friends I play with, but I think a little CAG meet-and-greet would be kind of cool (like I said in an earlier post, it's pretty much the reason we sent each other friend requests...right?) I know MSUHitman gave it a shot, but I didn't have the room for him and his friend (sorry again about that). If some of the long-time regulars here are down, I'll be on from at least 8pm - 2am CST. I'll try and remember to hit you guys up with invites if I see you on the demo. Post here in the thread what time you'll be around, and let's make it happen!

For information's sake: I have a level 9 Human Vanguard and a level 9 Quarian Engineer. I definitely prefer to play Vanguard, but I'm willing to change into a different class in the interest of keeping the squad diverse.[/QUOTE]

I would be up for it but it will be hard for me to be on with the hours I work. So I would just have to be one that if you see me on send an invite.

[quote name='Bezerker']So was it just me, or was there no popup regarding getting the Reckoning items for completing the ME3 demo?[/QUOTE]

Correct, there is no pop-up. I played through the ME3 demo completely and then loaded up Amalur. I got a special delivery "quest" pretty much immediately, headed to Gorheart and checked out the chest. It contained the Omniblades, but NOT the N7 armor. I've spent forever looking online to see what the reason for this might be, and I can't figure it out. Has this happened to anyone else? Does anyone know how to get the N7 armor?

I did read somewhere that the armor unlocks after you start the ME3 demo and the blades unlock when you finish the demo. If that's true, I don't know how I'd get the blades and not the armor? I've tried loading and reloading, reloading the ME3 demo and playing it a second time - and nothing. It's driving me crazy! Why do they have to make crap like this so f-ing difficult?

The Omniblades aren't even that great. I'm only level 8 and they're not any better than anything else I have in my inventory right now. Stats: 6 physical damage, 6 piercing damage, 6 fire damage, & 3 burning damage over 6 seconds. Has anyone gotten the N7 armor? Is it worth it, other than looking cool?

I really wish unlockable items like this would level up along with the character so it made more sense to use the items throughout the whole game.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']Not really a "hey, look at me" piece (still not playing too great yet), but I felt like uploading some footage of the MP portion of the game for those missing out (or just bored). It undoubtedly features your boy, me:[/QUOTE]

Cryo is a workhorse. You needed a teammate with concussive shot though :D

What the hell happened to Ashley? Apparently cosmetic surgery in the future works wonders! I mean Yvonne what's her toes is put to shame by the new Ashley. I hope Ashley doesn't know that I shagged Yvonne because I'd like another go on that...

I'm hoping the full game isn't as fast paced as what was seen in the demo, other than that my pre-order for the CE is fully justified and I have no qualms about paying full price for this.

Think I'll skip the demo. Need to focus on getting through my ME2 PS3 playthrough before the game launches, and I'd kind of rather have the excitement of playing it for the first time when I get the game in the mail from Amazon.

Signed up for the Facebook App. Already completed the single player demo, but what the hell. Anyone just want to add/recruit each other? Shoot me a message. If I can get in, I'm down for a little beta meet and greet. I have at least 4 or 5 of you on my list.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Think I'll skip the demo. Need to focus on getting through my ME2 PS3 playthrough before the game launches, and I'd kind of rather have the excitement of playing it for the first time when I get the game in the mail from Amazon.[/QUOTE]

It's only about 15-20 minutes long and honestly it's added to my excitement. Hoping to try MP tonight. Anyone playing, feel free to send me an inv.

dont you think alot of the bonus preorder/early content will be unlockable in the game later? there used to be a ton of store exclusives from ME2, I only see GS and BB offerring preorder store exclusives and BB's is only the rifle that you get some GS.

I'm hoping the CE will infact have unlocks that are unique enough to make it worth it (the physical swag is phsyical swag) ...I'm actually most looking fwd to the soundtrack.

comments?

[quote name='100xp']dont you think alot of the bonus preorder/early content will be unlockable in the game later?[/QUOTE]
It was hit and miss for ME2. The Inferno Armor did become part of a DLC pack later; the Terminus Armor and Blackstorm didn't. The Collector Armor and Assault Rifle were added to the PS3 version but never did come to 360/PC apart from getting them from the CE originally.

The multiplayer stuff like the Collector Rifle and Recruit Packs from Facebook do seem to be just 'early unlocks' like the Battlefield games do. That's my guess anyway.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']It was hit and miss for ME2. The Inferno Armor did become part of a DLC pack later; the Terminus Armor and Blackstorm didn't. The Collector Armor and Assault Rifle were added to the PS3 version but never did come to 360/PC apart from getting them from the CE originally.

The multiplayer stuff like the Collector Rifle and Recruit Packs from Facebook do seem to be just 'early unlocks' like the Battlefield games do. That's my guess anyway.[/QUOTE]

tbh, the only reason I bought into ME2 was because they messed up w/the preorder bonses and a lot of us were able to DL everything from XBLA weeks before the game was released. With all that unlocked content I said, I can't let this go to waste. I really enjoyed ME2, I'm hoping ME2 MP gives me the same enjoyment as Horde mode does if not better or different on the same level.

the only collector armor and rifle was the only really cool ME2 items I thought were really strong for the action part of the game...and looks wise it was guyver badass. Would be cool if your ME2 armor and guns carried over to ME3...then it wouldn't matter.

bread's done
Back