Mass Effect 3 Discussion Thread

watching a krogan soldier tank the atlas and destorying it was both awe inspiring and ridiculous (bronze) ...so each wave afterwards, I made sure to put a round of antimatter on into for the kill.

one match, a different krogan soldier spent more time in cover than anything. he also had an AR w/the shotgun equipment upgrade active (he didn't have a shotgun).

The universe is in trouble...

[quote name='Anexanhume']Has anyone tried bronze solo? I'm tempted to with my krogan for the XP, just to see how far I can get.[/QUOTE]

I've gotten to wave 6 with an infiltrator solo. I basically lost because I couldn't finish the objective because I ran out of time. It's just not fun solo...at least to me.

I don't think the efficiency of earn XP solo is worth the time, plus you get more XP for objectives earned as well waves survived and of course full extraction at the end for 4 ppl is +15,000. +10,000 for 3 if you started with 3 i think...and +5k if not everyone is in the extraction point.

I'm pretty sure if you gave your high lvl whatever class equipment, (ammo, armor bonus, etc) you could clear bronze solo it would just take longer.

I'd think engineer or Infiltrator might be easier just because you can cloak when you need to deactivate the 4 point objective and avoid fire, and the engineer's drone can take some of the heat of you as well. Both classes are also very effective at taking out guardians.

Anyone who doesn't care about spoilers or is already spoiled want to discuss ME3 squad composition?

1. Ashley (Soldier) or Kaidan (Sentinel)
2. Liara (Adept)
3. Vega (Soldier)
4. Garrus (Infiltrator)
5. Tali (Engineer)
6. The Prothean (Vanguard?)
7. EDI (Infiltrator?)

Just guessing on the roles that the Prothean and EDI will play. I'm still not clear on whether the Prothean is still a DLC character exclusive to the CE, or if he's in the base game now. Both because not every description of the CE contents includes the "bonus character and mission," and it just seems like a living Prothean would be too integral to the story for his appearance to be totally optional and not have it effect the plot one way or the other. There is the possibility that he appears in the game as an important NPC, but can only accompany you on missions if you purchase the DLC.

A couple of things jump out at me:

Say you start from an import where Garrus and Tali are dead, and you don't purchase the Prothean DLC. Only four squadmates to choose from? Yikes.

The squad seems slanted toward combat and tech abilities over biotics. In the case where Ashley is the survivor and you haven't purchased the Prothean (or if he turns out not be a biotic), Liara is basically your only squadmate with any biotic power. And even assuming access to everyone, unless Shepard is an Adept, it seems like if you want to roll with a "balanced" squad, Liara is mandatory.

A soldier Shepard with Ashley as the survivor (which is probably the most popular overall scenario for ME players) plays the introductory missions as a squad of three soldiers? Hopefully you start picking up the other squadmates quickly.

[quote name='Freemason']Screw you guys and your Salarian wants lol, i got to level 13 on my Vangaurd, 6 soldier, and 2 vet packs and one recruit pack later... STILL have not unlocked a SINGLE alternate race/class lol... OR another weapon outside the Mattock... sigh. i'll work on it more today.

Shrike, good summary and since we are discussing possibility, what you do think of

- Saving the Destiny Ascension in ME1 - could that beast drop a Mass Effect Relay?
- The Prothean "Spheres" you find I believe 2 of total between 1 and 2, what are they gonna be for?
- How many Rachni do you think are out there and where will they come into play?
- Where do you think the tertiary races will fall into play, i.e. Elcor, Volus, Batarian, Yog (Shadow Brokers), Varren?
- Do you think that the ultimate end will be some massive heartbreaker like Shepard sacrificing himself, or choosing between your friends and a planet type of consequence?
- If a Batarian is near sighted in one set of eyes and farsighted in the other set, does he see in 3-D?
- Will the Geth, if you reprogram them to follow Legions logic, share the Quarian homeworld with them in the end or ultimately give it back to them?
- Will the Migrant Fleet at some point come riding in " Gandalf and Riders of Rohan Style " at some point like a massive Cavalry attack to save the day and secure a place finally amongst the other council races?
- Will EDI and Joker have crazy VI Lovin and make little Normandy's?
- How will Liara being Shadow Broker contribute to the campaign in ME3? Since the old SB had connections and dealing with the Collectors, in turn the Reapers, there must be some info she will have on them. Since they do nt seem to know that he has been replaced, how will this beneift the team?
- With Mordin obviously working to cure the Genophage, if it does happen, will the Krogan rise to become a threat again?
- Who else is already thinking Game of the year 2012?
There are some topics to discuss. Enjoy fellow nerds.[/QUOTE]
Hopefully Mordin doesn't cure the genophage to recruit the Krogan because he's dead in mine! lol.

Anyone who doesn't care about spoilers or is already spoiled want to discuss ME3 squad composition?
2. Liara (Adept)
3. Vega (Soldier)
4. Garrus (Infiltrator)
5. Tali (Engineer)
7. EDI (Infiltrator?)

Just guessing on the roles that the Prothean and EDI will play. I'm still not clear on whether the Prothean is still a DLC character exclusive to the CE, or if he's in the base game now. Both because not every description of the CE contents includes the "bonus character and mission," and it just seems like a living Prothean would be too integral to the story for his appearance to be totally optional and not have it effect the plot one way or the other. There is the possibility that he appears in the game as an important NPC, but can only accompany you on missions if you purchase the DLC.

Say you start from an import where Garrus and Tali are dead, and you don't purchase the Prothean DLC. Only four squadmates to choose from? Yikes.

The squad seems slanted toward combat and tech abilities over biotics. In the case where Ashley is the survivor and you haven't purchased the Prothean (or if he turns out not be a biotic), Liara is basically your only squadmate with any biotic power. And even assuming access to everyone, unless Shepard is an Adept, it seems like if you want to roll with a "balanced" squad, Liara is mandatory.

A soldier Shepard with Ashley as the survivor (which is probably the most popular overall scenario for ME players) plays the introductory missions as a squad of three soldiers? Hopefully you start picking up the other squadmates quickly.
Thankfully they are all alive for me. I hadn't heard that the Prothean was DLC, and I hope he/she isn't. The last squad mate DLC (Zaeed) had no background, I didn't even feel like I used him at all. I had no emotion when he died in my playthrough. As a vanguard, I'll probably be going with a mix of Garrus, Liara, and Vega, depending on how I like Vega of course. That has a lot of weight for me.

[quote name='Freemason']
- Will the Geth, if you reprogram them to follow Legions logic, share the Quarian homeworld with them in the end or ultimately give it back to them?
There are some topics to discuss. Enjoy fellow nerds.[/QUOTE]
I just read a text rip from the demo that purports to list all of the possible variables from ME1, 2, and 3 that add to your galactic preparation score. I didn't go over the entire list in detail, but I did notice one set of variables, and this is a potential big ass spoiler, that implied
that you will be forced to choose between the total destruction of the quarians and the total destruction of the geth. No middle ground!

[quote name='matto1233']
As a vanguard, I'll probably be going with a mix of Garrus, Liara, and Vega, depending on how I like Vega of course. That has a lot of weight for me.
[/QUOTE]
That's pretty much how I'm leaning with my male Vanguard character. A pure bro-squad with Garrus and Vega sounds appealing, but with the increased opportunity for biotic detonations in ME3, Liara may be irresistible. I would consider Ash and Garrus since they were my go-to squaddies in ME1, but the whole "I cheated on Ash" thing might get a bit awkward! :lol:

I've been avoiding spoilers so far, but looked at one above and was wondering if...

...there are any pics of what the Prothean looks like?

[quote name='matrix9280']What's so special about Earth?[/QUOTE]

Shepard and his/her allies are the ones who take the Reaper threat seriously and thus far have thwarted their more covert attempts at initiating galactic downfall. The direct assault on Earth is a message to Shepard. Also, humanity is one of the most powerful militaristic forces in the known universe. Their performance in the First Contact War, though also earning them a negative reputation as violent aggressors, is the main reason they have enjoyed such a meteoric rise in galactic affairs.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']I've been avoiding spoilers so far, but looked at one above and was wondering if...

...there are any pics of what the Prothean looks like?
[/QUOTE]
Indeed there are:
prothean-art-of-mass-effect-universe.jpg

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Anyone who doesn't care about spoilers or is already spoiled want to discuss ME3 squad composition?

2. Liara (Adept)
3. Vega (Soldier)
4. Garrus (Infiltrator)
5. Tali (Engineer)
7. EDI (Infiltrator?)

[/QUOTE]

Doesn't look like the Prothean's exclusive to the CE anymore. The Xbox.com website lists the "From Ashes" dlc as "Unearth lost secrets from the past and recruit the Prothean squad member in Mass Effect 3: From Ashes.". 800 pts. Including the banner in case they take the rest of the page down.
banner.png

I'll miss not having a krogan in my squad. They felt the most alien to me, so I loved running around with one.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']
That's pretty much how I'm leaning with my male Vanguard character. A pure bro-squad with Garrus and Vega sounds appealing, but with the increased opportunity for biotic detonations in ME3, Liara may be irresistible. I would consider Ash and Garrus since they were my go-to squaddies in ME1, but the whole "I cheated on Ash" thing might get a bit awkward! :lol:
[/QUOTE]
Liara and Garrus are pretty much my two all time favorite squad mates through ME1 and 2, so that's one of the main reasons I pick them. I didn't go ANYWHERE without Garrus in ME2.

Lots of spoiler tags going on here. I accidentally go spoiled on ign today. I thought that maybe all of the dlc was released like it was with me2, but all I found was a squad mate i didn't want to know about. Doh! What i saw cannot be unseen!

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']Lots of spoiler tags going on here. I accidentally go spoiled on ign today. I thought that maybe all of the dlc was released like it was with me2, but all I found was a squad mate i didn't want to know about. Doh! What i saw cannot be unseen![/QUOTE]

yeah but did they confirm if Master Chief was recruitable? oops!

I'm going to give the adept a try today, lvl 1...here come.

lmao somebody commented on that random video of one of the first gold runs i did and said "bad adept is bad , warp = useless , aoe stasis ? why? Phantoms are a joke if you use the vulnerability perk an biotic explosion theyre ass"
sounds like someone's been playing too much bronze

anyway just did a few more runs through gold with the human engineer and solarian infiltrator and ill say it changed my mind about preferring cryo over overload. then again i stopped running around with just the phalanx so it doesn't take as long to kill things anymore haha

leveled my vanguard to 15 and 2 veteran and 3 recruit packs later.. FINALLY unlocked the Krogan Soldier. As suspected.. he is a beast. I LOOOOOVE flyswatting Phantoms like a tennis ball.

funny...a lobby kicked me because I was a 9th lvl sentinal even though im N70+, everyone else was 17, 18, 19...the 19th lvl guy was N105.

XP - Just wait until you've reached the 100s. People rage quit in the lobby at the mere sight of you on every difficulty. If you aren't anything other than a Soldier, Sentinel or Engineer (aka the "bad" classes) you'll have no chance. It's beyond annoying having to stay in lower leveled lobbies knowing you won't beat the map to maximize your gains, but at least they stick around the whole game and actually TRY to work as a team.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']XP - Just wait until you've reached the 100s. People rage quit in the lobby at the mere sight of you on every difficulty. If you aren't anything other than a Soldier, Sentinel or Engineer (aka the "bad" classes) you'll have no chance. It's beyond annoying having to stay in lower leveled lobbies knowing you won't beat the map to maximize your gains, but at least they stick around the whole game and actually TRY to work as a team.[/QUOTE]

I've seen that consistently on bronze but not so much on gold or silver. And engineer isn't a bad class what are you talking about :(

Figure I'll ask this here, hopefully someone still awake to answer since I plan on playing all night.... I'm about to start my 2nd playthrough of Mass Effect 2. I downloaded all the DLC and entered cerberus network code and downloaded all that comes with that as well. But, I thought Genesis was included? it is trying to charge me another 320 points to download that. Just want to know if that was included and already installed or how to install it, or if I should just buy that too.

[quote name='iNFiNiTE HORiZON']Figure I'll ask this here, hopefully someone still awake to answer since I plan on playing all night.... I'm about to start my 2nd playthrough of Mass Effect 2. I downloaded all the DLC and entered cerberus network code and downloaded all that comes with that as well. But, I thought Genesis was included? it is trying to charge me another 320 points to download that. Just want to know if that was included and already installed or how to install it, or if I should just buy that too.[/QUOTE]

It's only included in the cerberus network with the PS3 version, as I recall.

[quote name='Magus8472']It's only included in the cerberus network with the PS3 version, as I recall.[/QUOTE]

wasn't aware of that... that's kind of stupid, you'd think they could've patched it/added it in for 360 Cerberus members... I ended up starting a game to see if it'd just work somehow anyways, but no luck. already a few hours in so oh well. thanks though.

Thanks gotdott for slumming it in bronze with me. I'd like to tackle silver and eventually gold with CAGS only I think. Right now I'm still trying to get each class into double digits. Having the most difficulty with Vanguards. I'm mostly getting myself into trouble. My highest level now is level 18 soldier (a "bad"class) but I have a Krogan! I really want to unlock the last three races I need and figure out my go to character.

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']Lots of spoiler tags going on here. I accidentally go spoiled on ign today. I thought that maybe all of the dlc was released like it was with me2, but all I found was a squad mate i didn't want to know about. Doh! What i saw cannot be unseen![/QUOTE]

Yeah, me and one of my Mass Effect buddies were speculating on that squad mate a couple of months ago and were right(confirmed in the art book). I went to IGN to look at it and it made me relieved and kinda upset because I think this might be the part of DLC for the Collector's Edition.

[quote name='thrustbucket']I can't believe how much people are playing the multiplayer when it will all be reset.[/QUOTE]

because it's a lot of fun and free. you figure before the reward and save system was implemented ppl played videogames for fun first.

one lobby i was in, the others were complaining (they sounded like a XBL party) there were too many of the same class so I switched to soldier...and then proceeded to AR everything to death. They had words about that too. hey I was going to play a 1st lvl Adept but noooo...you brought down the thunder now rape the whirlwind. The point spread was ridicious. joy.

Been having a blast with the multiplayer - only been playing a Krogan soldier but just hit lvl 20 last night so I'll probably switch to asari adept? I think is what I got. I'm an oddball in that I don't do any melee with the Krogan - a waste I know. They really need to fix the multiplayer where your xbox party can join a room.

[quote name='bordjon']Been having a blast with the multiplayer - only been playing a Krogan soldier but just hit lvl 20 last night so I'll probably switch to asari adept? I think is what I got. I'm an oddball in that I don't do any melee with the Krogan - a waste I know. They really need to fix the multiplayer where your xbox party can join a room.[/QUOTE]

just create a match and invite your friends.

i don't see stopping at lvl 20 (demo cap) because now you have everything you can...time to pwn some cerberus w/your powers to their limits.

finally got some friends together to do some multiplayer demo, lots of fun even though we were all lowbies but leveling with each other was fun as we all got stronger.

[quote name='100xp']I actually feel leveling is too quick, you finish one match and you can level 2-3 times until you reach the mid teens.[/QUOTE]
I think the individual characters are supposed to be pretty disposable, so you can get them up to max level quickly, promote them into the SP, and start developing the next character.

what's going to be max level of multiplayer in the retail game? what's this promote them to the SP?

edit: everyone here doing the facebook app to recruit and get packs for when the game releases? I don't have too many friends that play games on facebook so I may need to add some cags so I can recruit you

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I'd become too attached to my characters to import them into the game. Would it be like Assassin's Creed I wonder? Where you can send them on missions with chances of success? Do they go into the SP story and croak?

[quote name='theredworm']what's going to be max level of multiplayer in the retail game? what's this promote them to the SP?

edit: everyone here doing the facebook app to recruit and get packs for when the game releases? I don't have too many friends that play games on facebook so I may need to add some cags so I can recruit you[/QUOTE]

without googling it, I think promoting MP characters into SP helps your galactic preparedness score? that's what I gathered from reading the thread and my own personal theories.

the max recruit packs you can get is 5 and my friends are all lame so I'm making it a point to not care since they are recruit packs and not veteran packs or greater if there is such a thing.

[quote name='Lord_Kefka']I think I'd become too attached to my characters to import them into the game. Would it be like Assassin's Creed I wonder? Where you can send them on missions with chances of success? Do they go into the SP story and croak?[/QUOTE]
My understanding is that they go into the single player story and croak.

Think of it like prestiging. You reset the level for that race/class combo back to zero, get a bonus to your single player game, and now you can start developing that race/class again from scratch. Weapon unlocks and that kind of stuff stays unlocked.

[quote name='bordjon']Been having a blast with the multiplayer - only been playing a Krogan soldier but just hit lvl 20 last night so I'll probably switch to asari adept? I think is what I got. I'm an oddball in that I don't do any melee with the Krogan - a waste I know. They really need to fix the multiplayer where your xbox party can join a room.[/QUOTE]

No melee with the krogan? What a sad, sad krogan. Plus it's so easy to get the 15 melee kills gold medal bonus.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']My understanding is that they go into the single player story and croak.

Think of it like prestiging. You reset the level for that race/class combo back to zero, get a bonus to your single player game, and now you can start developing that race/class again from scratch. Weapon unlocks and that kind of stuff stays unlocked.[/QUOTE]

you could also not promote them once you find and buy the abilities you want. I'd like to try a class that invests in melee damage and see how that works out. I was hoping I could have a small army so I can have classes based on enemy type and difficulty level. I wonder if you can have more than 4 for each class at a time.

[quote name='Anexanhume']No melee with the krogan? What a sad, sad krogan. Plus it's so easy to get the 15 melee kills gold medal bonus.[/QUOTE]

heh, the shy krogan... "no one ever pays me in gum..."

PREORDER CANCELLED!

Well, I actually did just cancel my CE preorder at Amazon... on account of I have it preordered at Best Buy and Gamestop too. Maybe someone else will be able to grab that copy now!

Now, if something goes wrong at Best Buy and they don't have my CE available for pickup on Day 1... I'm gonna s#!t.

[quote name='Anexanhume']No melee with the krogan? What a sad, sad krogan. Plus it's so easy to get the 15 melee kills gold medal bonus.[/QUOTE]

Haha - then you'd hate to hear I've maxed out stasis on my Asari adept but kill 'em with an assault rifle?!? I tote around a carnifex but never use it! I think I'm attached to the scoped assault rifle :(

[quote name='bordjon']Haha - then you'd hate to hear I've maxed out stasis on my Asari adept but kill 'em with an assault rifle?!? I tote around a carnifex but never use it! I think I'm attached to the scoped assault rifle :([/QUOTE]

no matter what your build, you have the tools when you need it. I found out that the turian sentinal w/stability bonuses and an AR dmg bonus was out performing my human soldier. the only difference is when the cat hit the fan, my human soldier's ability to evade was really the only thing that saved him.

scoped AR is beast, esp in the right hands...I don't use a scope for the Mattock though, the reticle and accuracy is pretty good alone and it's almost a requirement you use the extended clip.

I've invested heavily in the throw for the female sentinal? amazing power...it almost feels unfair. WHACK and rat-tat-tat-tat. next.

I've played strictly Human Engineer for the longest time, I decided to try Asari Adept and invested heavily into Throw while in the Bronze missions. Just kind of gathering XP and skill points until I can max out Stasis and take on the harder missions.

I'm still looking for a reliable group to try Silver and Gold, by the way, so if anyone wants to venture out into the wild with me, friend request me: III HydroX III -- I'm usually on at nights (10pm Central onward) while my fiance is on during the day watching Netflix.

bread's done
Back