Media Play's Closing: 70-80% off LAST FEW DAYS

Was at the Saginaw, MI Media Play tonight. Picked up a few anime goodies. Almost picked up Metal Slug 3 ($25 - $10 = $15) and Silpheed for $10ish, but passed.

Books not for sale any more, :cry: I was looking forward to some good book deals.

With Media Play gone, I guess I might as well let my Replay card subscription lapse. Not much point any more, I was barely getting use out of it with Media Play still there.

went last night (Riverdale Utah)- what a joke! Everything was way overpriced to begin with. $27 for UMD movies? $50 for Spyhunter 2 for Xbox? Gimme a break. At these "clearance" prices, most of us have found much better deals elsewhere over the last couple of months. There wasn't much selection left either. Mostly crap games and gameboy movies. No accessories but RF adapters galore. No books. DVD movies were like $27 to begin with. The new Seinfeld box with the puffy shirt was $113 for crying out loud! I saw it for like $70 at Best Buy last month. No wonder they are going out of business.

[quote name='Zenithian Legend']odd... no price reduction today, everything was still as marked before[/QUOTE]

Saw reductions here -- they didn't have the new signs out right when I got there, but by the time that we'd left they'd put out signs for the following (only listing things that were upped since last week):

60%:
* Toys
* Magazines
* Guitar Pedals

50%:
* Game Accessories
* CDs
* Used DVDs
* Anime DVDs

Ah ok, well no DVD (except Anime) or Video Game reductions though, and that is MOST unfortunate. Although, after checking a few prices on DDD.com I realized that all the DVDs I was interested in are already cheaper, and will be even cheaper during the 20% sale on DeepDiscountDVD. Unless somehow this stuff gets tagged at around 60-70% off.

Went in grabbed some anime: GITS: SAc 2nd gig 1-22.99, Appleseed ltd w/figure for 22.99, Fullmetal Alchemist 6 ltd w/ stdtrk and tin for 19, and FLCL 1-3 for 14 a piece.

I went to the Fairfield mall's Media Play and they were pretty much picked clean of the really good games but they had plenty of other overpriced crap around the store still.

Yep, checked the one on Gratiot again in MI. Not a whole lot....pretty crappy. A few decent DVD titles, but still TOO much at 40% off. I'll wait or just pass

The store near me in Appleton, WI was almost entirely empty when I was there yesterday. The only anime left was about a dozen "Collector's Edition" packs and some VHS tapes of DBZ. I was going to pick up a USB hub at 50% off, but after seeing the price tag of $40 (!) I left.

As for games, there were no XBOX or GC remaining and about 2 racks of PS2. Apparently an overstock of about 10 copies of Frantix for PSP and plenty of UMD movies.

My store also has a sign right on Master Chief stating that they are not auctioning or selling any promotional materials. I also noticed several stand-ups with names written on the back. Seems like the employees are looking to loot the place before they're out of jobs. :roll:

Think an Xbox Action Replay is worth $20? I passed when it was 40% off of $40 but there were a bunch of them and they might still be left. EB Games lists it at $30. It might be good for sports games roster updates so I can ditch Xbox Live.

Anybody had a chance to visit the Hall road store in Utica Michigan as of late? The yellow ribbons were closing in closer towards the front of the store last time I was there.

There's a decent amount of games (especially PS2) left at the Harrisburg Media Play, but nothing too great. There's a bunch (probably 5 or 7) of Sigma Star Saga left (around $18 or so after discount). I bought two. If anyone's interested, PM me. :)

Also got:

Dragon Quest VIII ($30)
NBA Live 2006 360 version ($36)
La Pucelle Tactics ($30)

if anyone's interested, PM me

PC Games are at 50%. Console titles are still 40% off. Transit Road location is pretty picked clean now. Still a decent amount of CDs, PS2 and Xbox games, but nothing particularly noteworthy - you may get lucky if you are looking for something strange (such as the They Might be Giants kid's album I got for my daughter). However, if you want a copy of City of Villains for PC, they easily have a dozen at $25 each - not bad, considering it includes a free month's subscription.

anyone know if % is gonna increase, there are some games i would grab if it went to 60% off, like I-Ninja

[quote name='Biglesworth23']There's a decent amount of games (especially PS2) left at the Harrisburg Media Play, but nothing too great. There's a bunch (probably 5 or 7) of Sigma Star Saga left (around $18 or so after discount). I bought two. If anyone's interested, PM me. :)[/QUOTE]

Just a note, but BestBuy has Sigma Star Saga for $19.99, making it $14.99 if you can find an active $5 off $20 gamer's gift card.

[quote name='TimTucker']Just a note, but BestBuy has Sigma Star Saga for $19.99, making it $14.99 if you can find an active $5 off $20 gamer's gift card.[/QUOTE]

I've been owned. Damn clearance sales making me think I got a decent deal. :p

Has anyone noticed a strange smell coming from these stores now? They never smelled before this clearance started so I naturally assume it's the increase in uber-trash. Really, every Media Play I've entered has had some unique funk. It's disgusting.

[quote name='siamesellama']Has anyone noticed a strange smell coming from these stores now? They never smelled before this clearance started so I naturally assume it's the increase in uber-trash. Really, every Media Play I've entered has had some unique funk. It's disgusting.[/QUOTE]

Well, you do live in Toledo. I would think you'd be used to that by now.

[quote name='siamesellama']Has anyone noticed a strange smell coming from these stores now? They never smelled before this clearance started so I naturally assume it's the increase in uber-trash. Really, every Media Play I've entered has had some unique funk. It's disgusting.[/QUOTE]

Wellll, my Media Play has always smelled bad because it's across from a mall that shut down over a year ago, so all of the white trash go there to shop, and the 40 year old sickos to buy anime.

[quote name='rywateska']Someone posted up that Media Play would close on the 11th, which would be tommorow. Any signs of that coming true?[/QUOTE]

I'm going by today after work so I'll post what I find out tonight.

[quote name='neocisco']I'm going by today after work so I'll post what I find out tonight.[/QUOTE]

At what time would you be able to post? I need to go back to Media Play to pick up some things if they are indeed closing tonight.

[quote name='rywateska']Someone posted up that Media Play would close on the 11th, which would be tommorow. Any signs of that coming true?[/QUOTE]

I think its going to vary from store to store depending on how much inventory they have left.

[quote name='rywateska']At what time would you be able to post? I need to go back to Media Play to pick up some things if they are indeed closing tonight.[/QUOTE]

Sorry about the late reply. My store said they will still be open for about another 2 weeks or until everything is gone, whichever comes first. I'm pretty sure this will be standard for most, if not all, stores. They also said there will be another % drop Wednesday, most likely another 10%.

I picked up probably the last 360 game at any Media Play today. When the games 1st went to 40% off, I grabbed one of 5 FIFA 360 games that were left, and wandered the store as my fiance' looked around as well. I asked her if it was worth picking up at 40% off, she said no, so I stashed it in a box of Halloween spiderweb decorations. There were 3 of these boxes. Last week I checked the Media Play store, and it was still there. Through the weekend my friends told me I need to pick it up before it's found. I go to the store today and the store was near empty. The Halloween boxes were not where they were. Replaced by empty shelves and yellow tape. I wander the store to see what's left. Low and behold in the left over toys that they had 3 boxes of Halloween spiderwebs. !st box-nothing. 2nd box-FIFA 360 game. Hearing that the stores were going to close soon, I went to the register with it. The cashier looked at the game strangely wondering where I got it from. I then took it to my buddy at Circuit City who exchanged it for Dead or Alive 4 for me.

Everything is now 50-70% off.

Anime DVDs still at 50%
Regular DVDs now up to 50%
CDs at 60%

(Confirmed now) -- Games also at 50%
Guides at 60%

Stores now have signs up advertising "Last 10 Days!" So it looks like around the 20th this will all be over with.

[quote name='Zenithian Legend']looks like no more price drops then, what a crappy sale[/QUOTE]

QFT I may stll go today and see if I can still get Trapt, Fatal Frame 3 and a couple psp things

[quote name='Zenithian Legend']looks like no more price drops then, what a crappy sale[/QUOTE]

Im sure there will be another price drop. There is no way they will be able to clear out the stores at this point.

I've got quite a list to show here that I have to still pick-up. I'll post it up within the next couple of days considering that there won't likely be anymore price drops. I need some help with what I should or shouldn't buy at 50% off.

[quote name='TehTriggerman']Looks like Ill be going one last time tonight. Literally. I wonder Whats left for 50% in the game department? Hell...:hot:[/QUOTE]

Well if its anything like my local store, its 50 Cent Bulletproof and Max Payne 2.

My guess is we will have another drop this weekend, and then one more next week Wednesday to clear out whatever is left.

I doubt there will be a HUGE clearance - the website says that mediaplay.com will continue to operate.. so they'll probably ship anything extra to the warehouse

Just visited the Niagara Falls, NY store, not too much left, but quite a bit of anime still on the shelves, its worth a trip.

I stopped by after work...not much. They had 50 Cent Bulletproof left. DVD's were pretty picked over....a few new releases left, but nothing great. 10 MORE DAYS, then closed forever at my place.

The store in Ann Arbor is dead and gone now...but I got a very nice set of Altec Lansing iPod speakers for ~$80 from the one closer to my house. I'm happy. :)

I just got back from the Utica Michigan Store and was suprised...They still had quite a few games left. Especially for PS2. I picked up a little of everything. DS games were gone..alot but nothing really worthy in the GBA department. Games are 50% and guides are 60% I would say it was worth my trip. Heres what I grabbed:

PS2

Tomb Raider Angel Of Darkenss
Total Overdose :cool:

GC

Geist

Guides:

Hardcover limited edition MGS III Snake Eater Guide. This was a nice find especially since its Being re-released again in March.

FarCry Instincts
ManHunt
KillSwitch
MaceGriffin

They all rang up .75 cents:applause:

I also Hit Circuit City during this run and picked up:

Psi Ops 3.96
The Punisher 16.26
Rogue Ops $3.96
MTX Motocross 3.96
XIII 3.96
Mac Griffin Bount Hunter XBOX 3.96

Not the best in some cases...but cheap gaming!!!

No media plays around here, but the Sam Goody near me had 6 giant bins of 50% off stuff (50% off the previous discounts (20-25%), so even more!). Not that much good stuff, save for some cheapcheapcheap sony CD Players, a few collectible whatchamacalams, and three chun-li PS2 six button controllers (picked one up! :D).

So maybe the other two stores in the 'collection' (Sam Goody and Suncoast) have discounts as well?

[quote name='TehTriggerman']Guides:

Hardcover limited edition MGS III Snake Eater Guide. This was a nice find especially since its Being re-released again in March.

FarCry Instincts
ManHunt
KillSwitch
MaceGriffin

They all rang up .75 cents:applause:

[/QUOTE]

.75!? Since guides are 60% off we're these tagged lower than the price that's printed on the guides?

[quote name='TimTucker']Everything is now 50-70% off.

Anime DVDs still at 50%
Regular DVDs now up to 50%
CDs at 60%

(Confirmed now) -- Games also at 50%
Guides at 60%[/QUOTE]
Thanks, that's helpful to know. Anybody know what items 70% off applies towards?

bread's done
Back