Men Over 30

To people who have joint pains, have you guys tried glucosamine supplements? They work wonders (but check with a doc if it's ok for you to take them, my dad is diabetic and he can't use them for some reason)

[quote name='hankmecrankme']I'll be 30 in two months. The only things different about me are that I'm less tolerant of people's bullshit, and I'm grumpy more often. That's about it really.[/QUOTE]

This. Some days I just get pissed off seeing someone walking around with their yoga mat being cared over their shoulder. "Stupid yoga people. think they're so enlightend and in touch with an inner sense of well being"

I'm turning into my dad.

[quote name='eldergamer']This. Some days I just get pissed off seeing someone walking around with their yoga mat being cared over their shoulder. "Stupid yoga people. think they're so enlightend and in touch with an inner sense of well being"

I'm turning into my dad.[/QUOTE]

Have you ever actually tried meditation? You'd be surprised at the results.

Don't you guys get any exercise at all? In the winter, I like to split wood. I bet many of you would stay away from something like that but you shouldn’t. What doesn’t kill you, makes you stronger.;)
Getting some grey and or thinning hair, who cares? We all do at some point. We all take a little longer to get going in the morning and the occasional ache or pain should not alarm you. If it hurts when you pee, well, get your ass the to the Dr. #-o
My wife and I both are pretty good cooks so it's easy to get a good healthy meal together (she's a Filipina and I'm Italian). I exercise by keeping busy around the farm so even at 44, I’m in decent shape. The dayjob at an office can turn anyone into flubber, if you let it. I'll have no more than a beer or glass of wine every few months and I don’t smoke. I’m not 25 and don’t pretend to be.
As for no sex with your wife, everyone has a magic button. You just need to be able to convince her it’s worth finding.:joystick:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='nddave']This will Multiply every year here on out.[/QUOTE]

I've actually mellowed out some and gotten a bit more patient/tolerant as I've gotten older. Just not worth stressing out and getting pissed over other people's bullshit.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I've actually mellowed out some and gotten a bit more patient/tolerant as I've gotten older. Just not worth stressing out and getting pissed over other people's bullshit.[/QUOTE]

Yep, you reach a point where it's just not worth the energy to get pissed off or upset at bullshit that would've driven you crazy when you were younger. Or you recognize that kids are kids. And youth is wasted on the young!

30!? Hah, try 40 ;). I'd kill to be 30 again (I'm actually 42).

I don't remember anything particularly bad about turning 30. And I'm not too bad off now, either. The problem I'm having is a bad knee that gets worse when the weather changes (air pressure changes maybe?). I had an ACL reconstruction when I was 20 or 21 - so that was half my life ago. That knee is a mess now. For about 10 years afterwards I still played basketball all the time.

I'm not sure now whether the aches and pains are due to age or simply that there is absolutely no time or place to exercise any more. With 5 kids, including 2 3 years and under, my wife and I barely have time to shower each day, let alone work out and stuff. I'd probably feel clearer-headed, at least, if I worked out more. I did just buy a treadmill that my wife and oldest daughter (13) wanted. I haven't put it together yet though - I'm dreading that ;).

I really need to find a place to shoot hoops. But it gets harder when you get older. In college I had the rec center. In my 20's I was in grad school and had the same - I even kept myself registered as a phd student once I started working pretty much just to have access to the rec center! Then, after that there was a community center where my wife would walk on the track while I shot hoops. But then the kids started coming and that put an end to that when I was 29... Plus we moved to a small town to get a bigger house for the growing family - and there's just nothing around here but the grade school gyms.

But even back in my 20's, I used to have to ice my knee after playing. I wonder what it would be like now? I probably should get it checked out and get physical therapy.

But, all in all, if it wasn't for that, I'd feel pretty good. Yeah, I get the occasional odd pain after sleeping. But mostly I just feel like crap in the morning. That's one reason I stay up so late - once I'm up and my mind is clear I don't want to give that up. So I guess I'm not too old yet where I doze off at 9pm like my Dad does ;). But then again, I don't think I ever felt great in the AM - I was never an early cheerful riser. So it may have nothing to do with getting older in my case.

Yeah, late night ramble when I should be working...

I'm 32 now and I feel much better than I was say, 27.

I exercise every Monday-Friday and we usually vary things by running at least 3 to 4 miles one day, do Taek won do on Tuesday, muscle failure exercises on Wednesday and another run on Friday. Sure, I feel sore but you feel much more energized.

The only thing I've noticed about myself now is that I can't grow hair for the life of me anymore and that I'm thinning...starting to look like my Dad. :oldman:

[quote name='eldergamer']How is anal a viable suggestion to improve his sex life? (It's not)
[/QUOTE]

Is joke, relax

I just started an exercise regiment yesterday. Turns out, my workplace has a "fitness center" that is open to all staff members. Apparently nobody uses it... as I have yet to see anyone enter/exit. Another indicator of the lack of use would be the size of the people I work with. I mean... the most attractive woman in my wing of the building is easily 200 lbs.

So I plan to run at least two miles on the treadmill each day... followed by some strength training exercises. After a forty-five minute workout yesterday, I can honestly say that I already feel a little rejuvenated. Maybe this stuff actually works!

As for my dead sex life, I actually spoke with my wife about it just the other night. She still claims that her mind is her sexual organ. Well... her mind is also subject to bipolar disorder (the neo-manic depression). She also feels that she may have a slight case of borderline personality disorder. Yeah... try penetrating those walls (no pun intended).

I'm 41 and I can relate to a lot of the symptoms you are all mentioning, one I really didn't see and I may have skimmed over is my memory isn't what it used to be, it's always been shit, but lately it's downright retarded. I used to think my wife was just nagging me, but I seriously I think I am having memory lapse.

Also I have noticed my eye twitching too, I am saying this is because of stress (money & work) and I am hoping after my MUCH deserved vacation in March that this goes away.

The weight thing....meh, I've always had an issue with that, I like food and I don't exercise, I'm not massive, but I could stand to lose about 100 lbs, but I'm tall (6'5") so that helps.

My bones are always cracking/creaking, but that I believe is from my injuries from my childhood (I wanted to be a stuntman and Evil Knevil) was my idol.....broke some bones and LOTS O' stitches, I was on a 1st name basis with the ER as a kid lol....true story.

I'm 32 and other than the occasional new hairs (scragglers on the upper back, two days ago I found a long one inside my ear, WTF!) I'd say I feel about the same I did from my mid-20's. It was my mid 20's when I realized I was getting a spare tire around the gut. I'm a skinny dude, so I definitely don't pass for fat, but it's there.

Got into running and fitness a lot earlier this year, and probably made it into the best shape of my life. Have had joint pain for years from sports. It might take a little longer for stuff to heal now, but no more pain than usual. Libido?...strong like bull. It's convincing the wife to do it as much as I want that is the problem.

Oh, and I'm starting to get a bit of gray hair on the sides. Distinguished, baby!

[quote name='berzirk']I'm 32 and other than the occasional new hairs (scragglers on the upper back, two days ago I found a long one inside my ear, WTF!)

Oh, and I'm starting to get a bit of gray hair on the sides. Distinguished, baby![/QUOTE]

This +1. Who asked for this extra hair? Puberty was over 20 years ago. And I've always been 'blessed' with body hair, the last thing I need is more.

[quote name='metaphysicalstyles']I just started an exercise regiment yesterday. Turns out, my workplace has a "fitness center" that is open to all staff members. Apparently nobody uses it... as I have yet to see anyone enter/exit. Another indicator of the lack of use would be the size of the people I work with. I mean... the most attractive woman in my wing of the building is easily 200 lbs.

So I plan to run at least two miles on the treadmill each day... followed by some strength training exercises. After a forty-five minute workout yesterday, I can honestly say that I already feel a little rejuvenated. Maybe this stuff actually works!

As for my dead sex life, I actually spoke with my wife about it just the other night. She still claims that her mind is her sexual organ. Well... her mind is also subject to bipolar disorder (the neo-manic depression). She also feels that she may have a slight case of borderline personality disorder. Yeah... try penetrating those walls (no pun intended).[/QUOTE]

Lift first, then run. I know you aren't going for a bodybuilder physique, but still, it's more conducive to muscle growth.

wow, im 24; you guys inspired me to start workin'out right now, i dont want to get old :(, and the worst thing is that im a little depressive, and that gonna get worst with time, OMG

Strangely enough I get some of those symptoms too (especially the aches and pains) and I'm only 20...

Guess I should go to the doctor?

[quote name='Feeding the Abscess']Lift first, then run. I know you aren't going for a bodybuilder physique, but still, it's more conducive to muscle growth.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I'll definitely do this.

[quote name='berzirk'] It was my mid 20's when I realized I was getting a spare tire around the gut. I'm a skinny dude, so I definitely don't pass for fat, but it's there.
[/QUOTE]

Same. Still skinny at 5'9" and 155 lbs, but have some love handles etc. from my mid 20s on. My love of beer is mainly to fault there--along with aging!

I've never seen the point of 'working out' . I'm the same size and shape I was 10 years ago. I eat whatever I want (fast food once a week, otherwise home cooked meals). I'm 5'8 and around 170. I don' consider myself 'obese'.

The only exercise I do is just regular activity (carrying kids around, bounding up and down stairs, etc).

Unless I'm going to be playing competitve sports I don't really see the point of a daily exercise regimen.

[quote name='eldergamer']I've never seen the point of 'working out' . I'm the same size and shape I was 10 years ago. I eat whatever I want (fast food once a week, otherwise home cooked meals). I'm 5'8 and around 170. I don' consider myself 'obese'.

The only exercise I do is just regular activity (carrying kids around, bounding up and down stairs, etc).

Unless I'm going to be playing competitve sports I don't really see the point of a daily exercise regimen.[/QUOTE]

For me, I enjoy being more lean, bring in the gut a bit. It's nice to go shirtless at a pool every once in awhile and know that you look decent.

But more than anything, a lifestyle with exercise incorporated gives me more energy, I'm in a better mood, it's a way to blow off steam and frustration through physical effort. It's just a good way to take care of myself and try to set up habits that will hopefully keep me healthy for many years to come. I don't want to be one of those grandparents that can't stand up, with the hunched over back, poking a grandchild in the cheek and weezing. I want to be running around with them and having fun.

Yeah, work outs are great for lowering stress etc. As well as feeling better about yourself for looking good.

Not to mention just the health benefits of being in decent cardio-vascular health.

It's all about how well you take care of yourself. I feel so much better when I exercise regularly and eat semi-properly. If I go a few weeks without any exercise I feel my age. Your body is an amazing tool in it's ability to adapt, you just have to be willing to work with it a little.

I've been working out when I have time since it was suggested earlier, it's made a little bit of a difference, but not enough to really show itself yet. I still have no energy and would rather sleep than do anything. I took a nice two hour nap on the couch yesterday afternoon and it was just wonderful!

[quote name='Vince McMahon']It's all about how well you take care of yourself. I feel so much better when I exercise regularly and eat semi-properly. If I go a few weeks without any exercise I feel my age. Your body is an amazing tool in it's ability to adapt, you just have to be willing to work with it a little.[/QUOTE]

In the past year or two I've been getting the spare tire. It's MN, so it's hard to exercise unless you go to a gym.

I eat out 2-3 times a week, much less than I used to.

I eat a balanced diet of fruit, veggies, and small portions. Unless I want to be a pro-football player, or told by my doctor that I'm gonna die of cholestol I don't see the point in exercising.

My friend is 34, has super high cholestrol, and was told by his doctor that he either has to watch his diet and work out or take pills. He chose to work out and eat boring food. I think I'd rather take pills. He overdoes it though - He has a trainer, works out way too much, and eats six meals a day.

[quote name='metaphysicalstyles']I just started an exercise regiment yesterday. Turns out, my workplace has a "fitness center" that is open to all staff members. Apparently nobody uses it... as I have yet to see anyone enter/exit. Another indicator of the lack of use would be the size of the people I work with. I mean... the most attractive woman in my wing of the building is easily 200 lbs.

As for my dead sex life, I actually spoke with my wife about it just the other night. She still claims that her mind is her sexual organ. Well... her mind is also subject to bipolar disorder (the neo-manic depression). She also feels that she may have a slight case of borderline personality disorder. Yeah... try penetrating those walls (no pun intended).[/QUOTE]

I don't normally advise this, but your wife may be the type that needs, err... punishment. Seriously, show her who's boss. Understanding can only go so far when what she really needs is structure *nod*

[quote name='metaphysicalstyles']She's anti-anal... partly by choice, and partly because of physics.

It's not a mutual lack of interest. I'm VERY interested in participating in the act... especially with my wife. I'm kinda hopelessly attracted to her, to the point to where I can't imagine having sex with anyone else. However, she has a self-admitted libido issue. It's not that she doesn't want to, it's just that she can't get into the mental state required for such things to happen. Flirting, foreplay, you name it... doesn't work. It's totally a mental thing with her... one that only she has control over.[/QUOTE]

Simular issue. Turns out my wife had a pituitary gland problem. Sometimes called HGH or human growth hormone. Maybe have her go to a endocronolgist if you got decent insurance. bout a 600 dollar blood test if you dont and it will tell you many different things more than a normal physicans blood test. my wife is .05 an normal person is 5.0 or so. Pituitary gland controls blood flow muscle development and a whole host of other things. Many atheletes reguarly abuse the stuff because it makes them feel better. Sometimes referred to as the wonder drug... but if you dont need it and you take it it will just make you feel like crap. Hopefully this helps. PM if you find out and it does. Good luck

Hangovers are a bitch now. I used to be able to drink like a fish and now any mixing or over indulging will result in hourly puking.

[quote name='floormat']Simular issue. Turns out my wife had a pituitary gland problem. Sometimes called HGH or human growth hormone. Maybe have her go to a endocronolgist if you got decent insurance. bout a 600 dollar blood test if you dont and it will tell you many different things more than a normal physicans blood test. my wife is .05 an normal person is 5.0 or so. Pituitary gland controls blood flow muscle development and a whole host of other things. Many atheletes reguarly abuse the stuff because it makes them feel better. Sometimes referred to as the wonder drug... but if you dont need it and you take it it will just make you feel like crap. Hopefully this helps. PM if you find out and it does. Good luck[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately for me, my wife is a doc... and any time I suggest anything relating to health, I get shot down immediately. She has this superiority complex when it comes to medicine/health care.

But... I might actually bring this up in conversation. I'm pretty good at "suggestion"... so I'll definitely give this a whirl.

First off I'm 29, not 30 yet so I haven't felt many effects of aging. But something happened to me today that I had to share. I haven't had a proper nights sleep in the last few days, getting home late from work and having to wake up early to take care of my little girl. Anyways I had a chance to sneak in a 2 hour nap earlier today. I woke up feeling refreshed, but I guess I woke up too quickly and got a very bad cramp in my right calf muscle. This cramp was no joke, I've never felt something like this before. I was in some nasty pain for a good 45 seconds. Afterwords my calf still felt a little tender. It's okay now but damn did that hurt.

I need to start running again but I absolutely hate working out, that and I just don't have a lot of time.

[quote name='ITDEFX']no matter how old you are, having kids will age you faster :p[/QUOTE]

Well my girl is only 5 months but I don't feel like I've aged physically since she's been born. I have definitely aged mentally.

Three years ago I committed myself to only one fastfood meal per week, and making the rest of the week healthy to super-healthy food.

Also every year, I remove a week in which I eat fast food, so in 49 years, I will have quit =)

[quote name='Rodimus']Well my girl is only 5 months but I don't feel like I've aged physically since she's been born. I have definitely aged mentally.[/QUOTE]

Oh it will happen. When they get to that mobile stage. Not just rolling around and drooling, but staggering/crawling around. Getting in to things you didn't think were possible as a toddler. The 3-4 year old range where are they want to do is play with you the second they wake up, and the second you walk back in the door from work.

Oh the Child Wars begun, they have. Just wait.

Oh hell, here are a couple from my household:

The Legend of Children: Son runs to the bathroom, a few seconds later he yells, "There's pee everywhere!" I give a mental WTF. Wife goes in to inspect, but apparently so does daughter. Next I hear a BANG! Now I go to inspect. Son is naked standing in the shower, there's a huge puddle of pee on the floor, and the baby has slipped in the pee, landed in it and hit her head on the floor, crying. Can't make these things up.

The Legend of (my daughter): I've been peed on by my son several times. Yesterday I'm sitting on the coach, Daughter is running around naked in between diaper changes, and I realize my foot is splashed with something. Yup, sure enough, she squirted me standing up. I did NOT know baby girls could do that. To complete her act, she cleaned herself off with the pajama shirt her brother was about to wear.

Just turned 36 earlier this month, sore, weight, tired, yeah it sucks.

The kid posts enjoy them, mine are 15 and 17, and trust me they get tired of playing with you so enjoy them while they are young because you'll never get those days back:cry:

Got my blood tests back, testosterone is towards the lower 1/3rd of the normal spectrum, Thyroid and Pituitary check out just fine, my good cholesteral is too high and my bad cholesterol is too low (wtf?!) and I've been advised to exercise more. Other than, I'm just a lazy son of a bitch apparently.

Doc now suggests that I should go to the sleep center to see if I have Apneia or anything like that.

[quote name='metaphysicalstyles']Welcome to the club.

I too experience many of the aging side effects that you listed. Except for this one... "decreased libido."

Otherwise, I'm ALWAYS tired, things hurt that shouldn't hurt, I'm very sensitive to the cold, and I constantly live in a dreamworld of sorts.

Also, if I sit on the floor for too long, it's hard to get up.

Yeah... getting old sucks, and being thirty-something is awful. This is typically the age range where the rest of your life happens. For example, I'm married to a woman who doesn't put out, we have a one-year-old daughter, preparing to buy our first house, in jobs that we will likely have for the rest of our life, and ordering a pizza while sitting on the couch with a movie and a few beers has replaced any desire to go out.

Enjoy.[/QUOTE]

I'm 28 and already feel like this, my knees are shot along with my back. As far as the wife and kid and pizza and beer, I thought that was "normal" not a bad thing? My life sucks too? :applause:

[quote name='depascal22']Hangovers are a bitch now. I used to be able to drink like a fish and now any mixing or over indulging will result in hourly puking.[/QUOTE]

Same here. Had a couple awful hangovers over the holidays.

[quote name='kevlar51']Well I had a kid this year and I turn 30 in 3 weeks. Thanks for depressing the hell out of me guys :p[/QUOTE]

Kevlar sent you a FR on Xbox Live. Come by the site in my sig and sign up, we have a gaming dad group and the site is an online man cave for dads.

What is your diet like? Exercise at all? vitamins and weight management? I felt tired and stuff a lot for years until i changed my eating, activity, and dropped 45lbs now besides the aches and pains I am 1000% better than i was, and the cold doesnt bug me but i have always lived in terrible winter areas so am used to it.

Well at least that's one plus of aging for me....I've never had any desire to have kids!

From 30 and 40 something friends, I can definitely agree that it does age people faster. Both mentally and physically from the stress, lack of sleep etc.

The Hangovers definately hurt more than they used to.

I'm 32, have a beautiful wife and daughter (18 months). However, right around the time I turned 28, I started to notice that I didn't have the strength I used to - I did a lot of weight-lifting when I was younger, and from 28 on, I've just lost the ability to maintain intensity in my lifts. I was more tired at night, and couldn't get up as easy in the morning. I went to the doctor and got checked out - everything was fine - he just told me that I was getting older and that I had to adjust to that.

No more sleeping 4 hours per night and being fine - no more drinking beer by the suitcase - no more eating whatever I want whenever I want. Gotta drink plenty of water every day and limit myself to 1-2 cups of coffee in the morning.

Getting old definately steals your thunder. But I do recommend that if you work to exercise for at least 30 minutes a day (or at least 3 times a week), a lot of your plagues are less impactful. I think it's also critical to weigh out the bullshit in your life and develop an appreciation for things - sometimes things suck, but a lot of times in and amongst the negative things in our lives, we forget to be greatful for the good. Anyways, I think developing a positive (and thankful) attitude slows the aging process.

I get to play video games about 2 hours a week anymore. That part sucks - but I've also found that by being selective in what I'm playing, I have more time - who wants to spend 200 hours in Fallout: NV anyways?

Last point of advice.......if you have a family, put them first. If you need to work out a 'night' or two per week that you have 'you' time, use that for time with your buddies or video games or whatever you're interested in. I find that ultimately, when the family is happy, I sleep better, eat better, booze less, and exercise more - all those things keep me feeling good. If you're neglecting your kids, your wife, your family, or your own health because you're hooked on video games, you will have a hard life ahead of you.

If you are addicted to video games, seek help.

I have 2 awesome girls, 20 months and 6 years, if anything they have made me younger. Granted I only sleep about 3 hours a night (hence the GT) the sleep factor doesn't get me. My wife is another one with ZERO sex drive anymore. It started after the first child, and we are lucky to have sex 2 times a month, sometimes less. But sex is not love, and while we have had arguments over it, have accepted certain changes in our lives and adapted.

You are only as old as you think you are fellas, if you do not like where you are at in life, do something about it. I work 12-15 hour shifts, go to school, and have teh 2 little ones and a wife... technically I should be dead by now, but besides the ever present pain in my knee and back from surgery and car accident damage when I was 17... I feel great. It is also funny being an "old" gamer on XBL and rolling the mouthy degenerate bitches on COD:BO

[quote name='msuchancey']The Hangovers definately hurt more than they used to.

I'm 32, have a beautiful wife and daughter (18 months). However, right around the time I turned 28, I started to notice that I didn't have the strength I used to - I did a lot of weight-lifting when I was younger, and from 28 on, I've just lost the ability to maintain intensity in my lifts. I was more tired at night, and couldn't get up as easy in the morning. I went to the doctor and got checked out - everything was fine - he just told me that I was getting older and that I had to adjust to that.

No more sleeping 4 hours per night and being fine - no more drinking beer by the suitcase - no more eating whatever I want whenever I want. Gotta drink plenty of water every day and limit myself to 1-2 cups of coffee in the morning.

Getting old definately steals your thunder. But I do recommend that if you work to exercise for at least 30 minutes a day (or at least 3 times a week), a lot of your plagues are less impactful. I think it's also critical to weigh out the bullshit in your life and develop an appreciation for things - sometimes things suck, but a lot of times in and amongst the negative things in our lives, we forget to be greatful for the good. Anyways, I think developing a positive (and thankful) attitude slows the aging process.

I get to play video games about 2 hours a week anymore. That part sucks - but I've also found that by being selective in what I'm playing, I have more time - who wants to spend 200 hours in Fallout: NV anyways?

Last point of advice.......if you have a family, put them first. If you need to work out a 'night' or two per week that you have 'you' time, use that for time with your buddies or video games or whatever you're interested in. I find that ultimately, when the family is happy, I sleep better, eat better, booze less, and exercise more - all those things keep me feeling good. If you're neglecting your kids, your wife, your family, or your own health because you're hooked on video games, you will have a hard life ahead of you.

If you are addicted to video games, seek help.[/QUOTE]

I've had the same issue, sometimes I game every nite for a week and sometimes not for a week. Seems the older we get the faster time moves except when your at work.

Actually purchased a Kinect so I could get some exercise(if you consider it that).

That's the thing, doc says make sure I get at least 20-45 minutes of exercise per day. That's all fine and dandy but does that mean high impact? I walk the dog and play with her while I'm home, I'm moving about the house cleaning and such for at least an hour a night, laundry nights mean five or six trips up or down the stairs etc... I don't have the ability (because of time and such, not because of being a fatty) to set aside 45-60 minutes a day for exercise when I have half a million other things going on.
Sure we're on a games related site, but sitting down for even half an hour to play something is turning into more of a rare treat than anything regular.

Excercise means pushing yourself to some degree. Of course walking etc. is better than nothing. But ideally, for good cardio-vascular health--you need to get your heart rate up some.

It is hard to find time to get in workouts for sure--and I've been slacking lately as well. But it can be done. Easiest way is to just drop an hour or sleep and hit the gym in the morning.

Much harder for those with kids who aren't getting much sleep anyway of course. That's the biggest reason I don't want kids. I've never really enjoyed being around them much, and I'm just far too selfish to devote that kind of time to someone else. Thus I'd be a terrible parent, but thankfully have the sense to not have kids. Unlike some friends who have kids, hate their lives and are contemplating divorce and child support vs. staying unhappy.

[quote name='nasum']That's the thing, doc says make sure I get at least 20-45 minutes of exercise per day. That's all fine and dandy but does that mean high impact? I walk the dog and play with her while I'm home, I'm moving about the house cleaning and such for at least an hour a night, laundry nights mean five or six trips up or down the stairs etc... I don't have the ability (because of time and such, not because of being a fatty) to set aside 45-60 minutes a day for exercise when I have half a million other things going on.
Sure we're on a games related site, but sitting down for even half an hour to play something is turning into more of a rare treat than anything regular.[/QUOTE]

I'd recommend focusing on some form of exercise - walking the dog, or doing the dishes count as being active, but really aren't going to get your heart rate elevated and provide the kind of physical activity that focused exercise can. I always tell people that 'walking' isn't exercise unless you are overweight and out of shape enough to make it a workout. 30 minutes of 'rigorous' walking is a mediocre workout at best.

I'd recommend finding something you want to do and that you are interested in - there are lots of things you can do - stationary bike is an easy one that you can actually do while you watch TV or maybe even play games (I tried that once, and I couldn't do it). Workout videos are great if you find something you like. Yoga is great for your mind and body. There are thousands of things you can do in your own home to exercise - the key is finding something you like and can challenge yourself to improve at.

High-impact or low-impact is up to you - if your body can sustain high-impact, have at it - if you're not used to high-impact or have a history of back/joint issues, I'd recommend starting with some low-impact work.

My wife and I are currently doing p90x - I would recommend the program if you're willing to spend 75-90 minutes a day, and you can absorb high-impact. It slims you up and makes you feel great. I would also recommend working out with your wife - through all my years in the weight room, I hated having partners - getting up and working out with my wife motivates me everyday. We work to motivate and help each other, and since we started this, every aspect of our relationship has improved.

I would get the EA sports fitness thing, but it sounds like they don't have seperate monitors for purchase if someone else wants to work out with you. I think that the exercise products put out by video game companies appear to be a very positive thing for gamers - however, you've got to put that fitness disc in and do the exercise rather than playing something that just requires sitting on your ass.

bread's done
Back