Metal Gear Solid 4 & Metal Gear Online - 8/6: Rumored Trophy Update Out Now? Rumor!

Alright, everybody that applied for the clan's in. We're still barely above halfway full, so keep 'em coming. I noticed an option to set-up a dedicated server for others to play in, so I may set one up for CAGs to play in a few hours.

I've never liked this series before because of the odd controls and well this game is no exception... I'm sorry to say. All it made me want to do is go play RSV2.

Have 2 extra codes looking to give away for a + rep. I will NOT be giving these codes out to anyone who has just joined in April. :)
1st 2 to PM me who meet the criteria get one each.

The walking speed one and sub machine guns. Both Lvl. 2 (Sub is close to 3.)

Figure I'll test it out today and see if I can run away faster from you now. ;)

[quote name='marten']The walking speed one and sub machine guns. Both Lvl. 2 (Sub is close to 3.)

Figure I'll test it out today and see if I can run away faster from you now. ;)[/quote]

You get a special bonus at L3. Like with the knife, it lets you slit throats when you hold people hostage, so I'm wondering what the bonuses are.

By the way, my my walking speed is also L2. =)

[quote name='VipFREAK']No wonder I couldn't do anything with the knife... lame, restrictions like in COD4. :roll:[/quote]

Makes it all the more fun tho when you get it IMHO...

PS - CoD4>>>RSV2

[quote name='seanr1221']My overall take on it:

It's fun, but it's just not my style. It's a bit clunky, and takes some time getting used to. However, I'll still be playing it throughout the beta, I just don't feel it has legs for me.[/QUOTE]

It's EXTREMELY clunky and goes to show that Kojima is remaining too traditional, or getting too old, or whatever, to be making multiplayer games. I'll be playing the single player MGS4 campaign but I'm never touching this online piece of shit again.

[quote name='iHack']PS - CoD4>>>RSV2[/quote]

: shrug : I'm playing RSV2, I think my COD4 disk is gathering dust at my friends house. He got RSV2 also.

[quote name='redgopher']It's EXTREMELY clunky and goes to show that Kojima is remaining too traditional, or getting too old, or whatever, to be making multiplayer games. I'll be playing the single player MGS4 campaign but I'm never touching this online piece of shit again.[/quote]
Kojima didn't make the game, another team at KP made it. It's not like MGS4 is completely different from MGO either, as both use the same control scheme and gameplay style, though MGO's a bit more chaotic at times.

Keep in mind guys, MGO is not just for shooter fans. It's not supposed to appeal to those who only like twitch action.

You know, people who actually play MGS4? The market is different. If you want something like CoD4, play CoD4.

There's also word that they'll be adding more and more to the game, even beyond the release of the full MGO disc in september. Hopefully the starter in the MGS4 disc has more modes that work better with MGO's pacing and emphasis on teamplay.

[quote name='VipFREAK']No wonder I couldn't do anything with the knife... lame, restrictions like in COD4. :roll:[/quote]

I didn't have any problems with the knife before I got Level 3 so I don't know what you mean.

i just got it installed (which took a considerable amount of time) i won't echo everyone else's frustrations. I'll just say it was insulting, i already sent kojima productions an email (whatever that will do).

Keep in mind guys, MGO is not just for shooter fans. It's not supposed to appeal to those who only like twitch action.

I donno if this is the right statement to define this game. The tutorials for the game certainly emphasize the use of "first person view" aiming to increase your accuracy. I can say as an old school quake twitch gamer the first person view is neither accurate nor easy to get to (three buttons?!).

I liked the single player in other metal gear games but i can say there is something weird about MGO.
Sometimes while playing in the beta i'll encounter someone round a corner and then they'll dance around me while fumbling the controls to shoot me. That aside the controls don't make much sense for a game where you have react quickly. If you imagine snake as a puppet that you control through your controller it's a bit like controlling a puppet who is lacking strings for basic movements and has some weird funky stuff that you find useful in obscure situations.

To use the tutorials own description as the most accurate form of shooting you have to hold down three buttons. Shooting in this game should be the most basic action. If you went to a car dealer, got in the front seat for a test drive and someone goes "the accelerator is in the back seat the break is located in the glove compartment, but look the steering wheel is located right in front of you" i would not buy that car.

I'm sure my thoughts are echoed through this thread. Honestly i've not read all 95 pages to get here but i'm sure there are alot of people ranting about this. I guess i never minded the controls during the single player. It comes out more in the fast paced action of the multilayer that you tend to notice that hey this doesn't make sense at this speed.
I'll probably get the game for the single player, but as for online i doubt i'll be playing that again...

Great matches last night. Damn Ninja (ESPY) keep popping out of the corners with his knife. BTW Solid Tanuki, looks like your #1 in Host rating ranking :applause: keep it up.

[quote name='survivestyle5']i just got it installed (which took a considerable amount of time) i won't echo everyone else's frustrations. I'll just say it was insulting, i already sent kojima productions an email (whatever that will do).

I donno if this is the right statement to define this game. The tutorials for the game certainly emphasize the use of "first person view" aiming to increase your accuracy. I can say as an old school quake twitch gamer the first person view is neither accurate nor easy to get to (three buttons?!).

I liked the single player in other metal gear games but i can say there is something weird about MGO.

Sometimes while playing in the beta i'll encounter someone round a corner and then they'll dance around me while fumbling the controls to shoot me. That aside the controls don't make much sense for a game where you have react quickly. If you imagine snake as a puppet that you control through your controller it's a bit like controlling a puppet who is lacking strings for basic movements and has some weird funky stuff that you find useful in obscure situations.

To use the tutorials own description as the most accurate form of shooting you have to hold down three buttons. Shooting in this game should be the most basic action. If you went to a car dealer, got in the front seat for a test drive and someone goes "the accelerator is in the back seat the break is located in the glove compartment, but look the steering wheel is located right in front of you" i would not buy that car.

I'm sure my thoughts are echoed through this thread. Honestly i've not read all 95 pages to get here but i'm sure there are alot of people ranting about this. I guess i never minded the controls during the single player. It comes out more in the fast paced action of the multilayer that you tend to notice that hey this doesn't make sense at this speed.

I'll probably get the game for the single player, but as for online i doubt i'll be playing that again...[/quote]
You don't need to hold three buttons for first-person view, just one (L1) and you tap triangle to switch between first and third-person view, then R1 to shoot . The reason it's more accurate is because you're not using a fairly large reticule to aim, but the barrel of the gun itself. Just because it's the most accurate method of shooting doesn't mean its the best method of shooting. This game isn't meant for twitch FPS fans by any means, so you're supposed to use the first-person view sparingly since it leaves you vulnerable to attacks out of your view. This isn't a fast-paced MP game, not by a long shot, which is why, I'm guessing, some people aren't liking the game.

[quote name='survivestyle5']i just got it installed (which took a considerable amount of time) i won't echo everyone else's frustrations. I'll just say it was insulting, i already sent kojima productions an email (whatever that will do).

I'll probably get the game for the single player, but as for online i doubt i'll be playing that again...[/quote]
There is a option where you can set it to be on first person whenever you press L1.

[quote name='DrunknDragun']Great matches last night. Damn Ninja (ESPY) keep popping out of the corners with his knife. BTW Solid Tanuki, looks like your #1 in Host rating ranking :applause: keep it up.[/quote]

If I didn't, you'd shoot me in the head. I can't count the number of times we danced around pillars or boxes, haha.

[quote name='espy605']If I didn't, you'd shoot me in the head. I can't count the number of times we danced around pillars or boxes, haha.[/QUOTE]

lol yea, I had to counter your CQC with my own. At close range like that, assault rifles are no match against the almighty knife.

[quote name='DrunknDragun']lol yea, I had to counter your CQC with my own. At close range like that, assault rifles are no match against the almighty knife.[/quote]

That always made me laugh, you're the only person that would do that, too.

I was playing another game today and I think someone did a counter CQC move on me, but I'm not sure.

I don't know what's wrong with my settings, but I can barely hear anyone on a headset.

You guys think maybe around 7 or 8PM CST we could start up the CAG server?

Also, I went into Practice and tried out all the CQC moves. Basically I learned that the only good CQC moves happen if you have the knife or the pistol equipped. Because if you have a bigger gun, then you just kinda hit them, and then you have quickly again hit them to do the throw. Which is harder then it sounds.

[quote name='darthbudge']You guys think maybe around 7 or 8PM CST we could start up the CAG server?

Also, I went into Practice and tried out all the CQC moves. Basically I learned that the only good CQC moves happen if you have the knife or the pistol equipped. Because if you have a bigger gun, then you just kinda hit them, and then you have quickly again hit them to do the throw. Which is harder then it sounds.[/quote]
I'll start a game probably around 7:30 or so. It'll probably be the same name/pass, so I'll make sure to post those again here and in the clan notice when it's up.

That makes sense since you can't really do much else with a bigger gun in your hands.

I actually recommend that people stick to the third person over the shoulder aiming until they're more comfortable with switching between views.

I just don't like the first person view because the gun sights are too far forward on scoped weapons. The scope isn't big enough on screen to be useful and ends up obscuring your vision more than it helps.

Alright, I've thrown a game up for CAGs to play together. I'm a bit busy at the moment, so it's just a dedicated server right now. When I can get on, I'll probably drop it and reopen it again, so I'll make sure to post in the game first. Here's the info to get in:

Server: Vamp
Game: CAG MGO
password: cag

So hop on and get some time on right now. You can also find this info in the clan notice, so check there if you forget the details.

Edit: I guess not. Only had maybe one person on at a time. I guess I'll try later on.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']The clan is now live and ready to go, though I don't think I can invite people in. So just go to the clan section of the MGO menus, look under clan list for CheapAssGamer with the leader Solid Tanuki, and see if you can join the clan. We can have 64 people, so if you don't mind posting here to let us know who's who in the clan, we can be a bit more organized, too.[/quote]

I tried to find the clan but couldn't. If you search for CheapyD, can you find me and add me to your friends list? I'm guessing this is one of those PS3 games in which you are limited to playing with those from your own region. Maybe it will be allowed in the full release.

Oh well.

[quote name='CheapyD']I tried to find the clan but couldn't. If you search for CheapyD, can you find me and add me to your friends list? I'm guessing this is one of those PS3 games in which you are limited to playing with those from your own region. Maybe it will be allowed in the full release.

Oh well.[/quote]

It should be on page 10 of the clan list.

On an unrelated note, CheapyD playing in the CAG clan with us? Kick ass.:D

I FINALLY got the 1st update to completely download. I'm getting the 2nd one now. I can't wait to try it out.

[quote name='CheapyD']I tried to find the clan but couldn't. If you search for CheapyD, can you find me and add me to your friends list? I'm guessing this is one of those PS3 games in which you are limited to playing with those from your own region. Maybe it will be allowed in the full release.

Oh well.[/quote]
That sucks. Maybe it's one of the reasons for the delay, to put the regions on separate servers to lessen the load? You can't find anybody, like myself, with the player search? I tried to search for you, but nothing showed up, so either you weren't online or the servers are indeed separate. I don't think the full release will have separate servers though, as I don't believe the original was like that.

I noticed a few of the people in the clan trying to join again, maybe like they were trying to send me a message or something? You could just send me mail, though I'd have to quit the game I'm hosting in order to see it. I'm not sure how it comes across to someone that's not the leader, but where you saw the Welcome message when you get into the clan part of the menus and can check the roster and such, that's where I posted that info.

Blah I have Level 3 CQC and the bonus is "you are able to take someone else's weapon" well what the heck do I push to do that? I can't figure it out

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It was up over an hour ago and nobody really showed up.[/quote]

Ah, well I am gonna go ahead and play some. Lets try to get more people on in a little bit.

I'm all set up. My game name is BigEffinTuna. Add me if you want to play.

How do you talk in this game? My friend and I are in the lobby (he created a game) and we can't hear each other when we talk into the mic. What settings do we need?

this game is cute, not sure if it's worth paying for it if it doesn't come fully included in MGS4, though I think the starter pack will be adequate.

I never played the original Metal Gear Online, but I'm really digging this. Will have to join the rest of you CAGs on a server sometime, but one question. Is there any other moves when you're level 1 while holding someone other than using them as a shield or slamming them to the ground? Do you gain other abilities at higher levels? And what are the benchmarks for increasing your rank?

bread's done
Back