Metal Gear Solid 4 & Metal Gear Online - 8/6: Rumored Trophy Update Out Now? Rumor!

Just got back from picking up my LE at GS and it was a pretty good time. First, the employees pulled the PS3 display out in front of the store and put their copy of the game in for people to try out the training mode, but eventually some people started up the the actual game and played and I was far enough away that I couldn't really see what was going on. They also pulled out the Wii display and hooked up a PS2 and a copy of MGS2 and held a mini-competition to see who could get through a VR mission the fastest for a gift card, but I got fifth place. They also gave away PS3 keychains, the kind that you can wear around your neck if you want, to everyone and raffled off a PS3 messenger bag, which went to some guy near the back of the line. Got my copy and was out of the mall at about 12:10, though I was about 20th in line.

Time to play some MGS4.

[quote name='Zoglog']your judgment on consistency is completely subjective still.
If you feel so strongly, sounds like you should send him a message with "why so low?"[/QUOTE]

Seems like you don't read too good. For one, I said I feel like the game should have scored lower than an A- according to the text of the review, and second, I already said I don't give a fuck what score it got.

If you took away the A- rating from the review, there would be consistency. Most people who read the review would think hmm, it's not quite as great as people want it to be. But when you slap that rating onto the review, after reading you go, really? A-? The rating is what fucks up the consistency of the review is all I'm saying, is that so wrong? fuck, if you don't want to even discuss the thing, why'd you even bother to reply to my post in the first place.

any predictions for the game before u play it?

i have read zero spoilers and have kept away but my prediction is vamp will help out snake for some reason and snake will die because he sacrifices by staying behind to blow metal gear ray and liquid up.

just a guess, knowing hideo meryl will probably end up being a clone of raiden and her dad is vamp. lol

jeez chill out its just a review that we dont really care about now that the game is officially out!

:lol: The first install's interesting.
Snake smokes while you see a bunch of warnings and info, such as using an ashtray when smoking, stop playing if you are feeling ill, play in a brightly lit room, etc.

Some impressions of what I played so far.

- The game looks really good. I have yet to notice any jagged edges at all. It's all really smooth, and sometimes it's like bullshots in motion, I kid you not.
- Drebin is awesome. Not too much to say about that.
- I don't get the whole Stress mechanic and how far I can take it before it does something bad.
- I kinda feel like I should be able to upgrade certain game mechanics like lock-on area
- I wish I could quickmap the Codec to select. Select for showing me the controls is nice early on, but it's not necessary after 15 minutes of playing.

EDIT:
I'm going to assume MGO takes 600mb to install given what the game data says about the size.

This game, so far, is freaking amazing. I equate it to what Resident Evil 4 did for that series. Took an otherwise great series, and takes it to the next level. The new controls are FREAKING GREAT. This thing is radical. I need to sleep, so I stopped. I'm about 3 hours in.

I hate you all now. No midnight openings here. Or 24 hour walmarts. Hopefully I can make to walmart in time to get a bundle for my brother, and than pick up my copy of the game. Can't fucking wait, not sure what I would do first, online or play through the story. And now I have to avoid this thread since it'll move at a lightning pace and be full of spoilers will I will probably click.

[quote name='Zoglog']It's a review, the rating is subjective, live with it.

I love how on midnight releases Gamestop employees get an inflated sense of self-importance. So much that they start to behave like nightclub bouncers when they.... are... not

The westwood gamestop is a small little store where they decided to have people checking the receipt when picking up the game and when exiting the store all within a span of 25 feet..... And in the process of exiting the guy at the door wanted to see the inside of everyone's bag, even though it was clearly there was nothing in there except for the game you picked up...........

Hence a process that should have taken 5 minutes at most to clear the line ended up taking 30 minutes.[/QUOTE]

why do GS Employees get like that.. and what's funny is that it's like that everywhere and can't be attribute to just one or two employees in one town here or there.

THe line was supposed to start forming at 10pm... okay fine.. no problem.. around 11:50, everyone has preordered the game, paid for the game... well at least most people have. Why is it that they must wait till "exactly" the stroke of midnight to give the game out... what's the problem with giving the game out 10 minutes early so we can all get the fuck back home. I appreciate the midnight releases, but damn its just too much hoopla.

Some GS do facilitate things a lot better than others... however.. extreme YMMV on the ones that do a decent job.

[quote name='Thomas96']why do GS Employees get like that.. and what's funny is that it's like that everywhere and can't be attribute to just one or two employees in one town here or there. [/quote]

[quote name='Thomas96']
Some GS do facilitate things a lot better than others... however.. extreme YMMV on the ones that do a decent job.[/quote]

So which one is it? Everywhere or some?

I'm only bringing this up because my store which I just came home from did not run it like this. I guess that tosses out your "everywhere" statement.

We pre-rung up all of the systems, then reserves. We handed out the systems around 11:52, then the games. Done by 12:15.

I'm loving the iPod.
MGS4 Integral Podcast with Ryan Payton and friends! He says there will be more to download as time goes on, which is sweet.

see ya tommorrow congrats to those lucky enough to get what they wanted. hopefully ill get mine with out a hitch tommorrow at noon :D

[quote name='DefinedByClass13']So which one is it? Everywhere or some?

I'm only bringing this up because my store which I just came home from did not run it like this. I guess that tosses out your "everywhere" statement.

We pre-rung up all of the systems, then reserves. We handed out the systems around 11:52, then the games. Done by 12:15.[/quote]

It's totally YMMV.

The store I went to sold me the system at 10:30, handed me the receipt and said I'd be handed the bundle at 12:01. There were maybe 40 people there actually buying the game, and at about 11:59 they told us all to wait outside and they'd let us in 8 at a time. And since they'd already sold me the system, I just handed them the receipt, they handed me the system, and I was out. I was like third in line, and by the time I got the system, got in my car, and started the ignition, the line was over.

Honestly, I wanted to get one from Wal-Mart because of the $100 gift card, but the guy there said they couldn't sell it till 7 AM and the 100 gift card wouldn't apply. I scrambled to the nearest GS, expecting a crazy line for the bundle, and there was NO ONE there, and it was almost 11.

[quote name='Satans Magic Hat']The store I went to sold me the system at 10:30, handed me the receipt and said I'd be handed the bundle at 12:01.[/quote]

#-o!!

Regardless of when they hand you the game, they go by the transaction sale time.. technically they broke street date and could get in trouble.

[quote name='Scorch']#-o!!

Regardless of when they hand you the game, they go by the transaction sale time.. technically they broke street date and could get in trouble.[/quote]

They really didn't break the street date. It can be played off as making a pre-order. Hence him coming back at 12:01am. Now if they gave it to him at the time of his purchase, then that's a different story.

But anyways got mine, and I actually like the "commercials" if you let the game run. Reminds me of Starship Troopers ads.

what's with the idol akb48ish music in the ipod, oh kojima, what an otaku D:

anyway...... fun game.
Right after I see the wtf opening a college mate tells me he worked on it. It's the same footage they used in those 4 PMC cms though

One noticeable difference in this version is that you can go real gunho and kill baddies. In previous mgs' it was much harder to do so.

oh well, too bad for work tomorrow, gotta stop playing D:

And Scorch, that's how they've handled all the midnight ones at my launch, you pay first (pay off the preorder) and then you get the game after, i'm pretty sure it's protocol.
I have no issue with them making you wait till 12 to get the game, they just dont want to get in trouble, it's the way they handle giving you the game that's annoying

man I haven't slept for the last few days I got the game a little early on Monday night and just finished the game right now 3:30am PST Thursday morning and OMG this game was a true epic masterpiece. The ending was just perfect, and make sure when the credits roll to not turn it off because there is still more.... I am not even going to discuss anything even by putting spoilers tags because I don't want people to accidentally look at the spoiler and ruin the story/ending. Going to start a second play through this weekend to try to unlock more stuff.

I just played 5:30. I am loving the game so far.

- Game looks sick. Best looking PS3 game so far.
-I'm really enjoying the story. I'm hooked.
-I like the stealth. It's cool how it changes based on your surroundings.
-I'm not understanding the stress thing
-I really dig the LE box. It's pretty cool.

Does anyone know if boss fights in this game give you camo if you beat them with the tranqilzer? I'm about to fight a boss but I'm done for the night.

When I saw the whole ipod thing I got excited and said "In game soundtrack! But yeah, doesn't seem like that's happening. [

At first I was confused about Olga's kid but then they explain Jack saved her. Maybe they'll go into more detail later. I'm wondering about his kid as well.

I'm tired as hell right now. I'm going to bed then I'm going to go back at it.

Gave it a few hours. Only complaint so far is that the chats between characters are 3x as long as they should be. Most of us playing the game understand what mercenaries are. We don't also need to be told that they're paid soldiers, that they might leave you for dead at a moment's notice, and that governments hire them to fight proxy battles so they don't have to send their own troops in. Get on with it, please!

Does anyone else feel like they're dumbing us down a little bit?

I was also hoping for some sort of FW update within the game or something, but that didn't happen. Would have been perfect.

mgs4get_mgs4got.jpg

MGS4 Get!

We had a midnight launch at a BestBuy and a 24-hour Walmart, and I went to Walmart.
There were told to be 8 in stock, and I was 9th in line.
Came out to be true. Then headed over to the then closed BestBuy to find out the shipping truck never came and the customers had left empty handed.

Stayed up until morning to go to another Walmart that opened a 6AM.
8 in stock again, I was the sixth person to arrive right on time when they were about to bring out the boxes.

MGS4 Got!
\:D/

// Roth

I really like what they did to occupy your time between the first and second acts.
The interactive cutscene where you can see what Sunny's doing upstairs and what Snake and Otacon are doing below and being able to take the Mk. II around and collect some items that are around. Plus, Sunny's playing a PSP game, some 2D F-Zero-style racer that I couldn't really recognize.

Yeah, though it's not like its a hard cover masterpiece. It's more like a magazine with quite a bit of MGS4 and info about the series as a whole with a bunch of CG screens and character profiles.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Yeah, though it's not like its a hard cover masterpiece. It's more like a magazine with quite a bit of MGS4 and info about the series as a whole with a bunch of CG screens and character profiles.[/quote]

Okay thank you.

I wonder how big of selling point it was for others who expected something grand because I didn't see much about it prior to the release.

For those that have yet to boot up MGO, expect to set aside some time for an update, though it doesn't seem to be nearly as long as the initial update for the beta. Maybe five minutes or so for me right now, so you may want to set that up when you first get the game just to get it out of the way. The release note says it lightens the strain the game puts on Konami's servers and adjusts your character'smoving speed. I think it also does an install, too, of about 550 MB, for those interested. It also does the "You must press the PS Button and select Quit Game to proceed." thing after you install the update.

Also, there's a song and octocamo to download in the extras portion of the main menu.

Edit: Concerning pricing for the MGO extra character slots, you have to go to the browser web page for this stuff and it's $6.99 per extra slot for up to three slots total, if I'm reading it correctly. You can also buy more voices, 32 additional voice tracks, for $4.99, which can be used on all characters under your GAME ID for free. That's so nice of them to do that.

How much do extra characters generally cost for MMO's? I've only played FFXI extensively, which I think was an extra $2 per character you wanted. If it were that cheap, I wouldn't mind getting an extra character or two, but for $21 for three more character, I don't see myself being eager to take them up on the offer. I remember the original MGO offered as many characters as you wanted for free, though that may have really been just free accounts to play with since you didn't really have a character.

picked up my LE at gamestop last night at midnight, on the first act.. all i can say is wow.. worth the wait for it. cant wait to move on
i just dont understand some of the cutscenes, like the frying of eggs,

[quote name='Blackout542']I was also hoping for some sort of FW update within the game or something, but that didn't happen. Would have been perfect.[/QUOTE]

how would that be prefect? You have to wait longer for the game to start.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I really like what they did to occupy your time between the first and second acts.
The interactive cutscene where you can see what Sunny's doing upstairs and what Snake and Otacon are doing below and being able to take the Mk. II around and collect some items that are around. Plus, Sunny's playing a PSP game, some 2D F-Zero-style racer that I couldn't really recognize.
[/quote]

Yeah, I thought that was neat. I...
ended up getting 3 items there. A battery, a piece of music and another item which escapes me at the moment.

[quote name='KingBroly']Yeah, I thought that was neat. I...
ended up getting 3 items there. A battery, a piece of music and another item which escapes me at the moment.
.[/quote]
Camera?

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']
Camera?
[/quote]

Maybe. I did that part last night and
it was upstairs

Also for those installs warnings, do you guys count the cutscenes towards those 15 minutes for every hour breaks the game tells you you should do? Because I do.

Also, in case you guys didn't know...
when given the X button icon, you can press it multiple times.

[quote name='KingBroly']Maybe. I did that part last night and
it was upstairs

Also for those installs warnings, do you guys count the cutscenes towards those 15 minutes for every hour breaks the game tells you you should do? Because I do.

Also, in case you guys didn't know...
when given the X button icon, you can press it multiple times.
[/quote]
It was downstairs for me, with the Boktai 2 theme being upstairs.

Can't say I've followed the suggestion for breaks.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']
It was downstairs for me, with the Boktai 2 theme being upstairs.

Can't say I've followed the suggestion for breaks.[/quote]

I found the battery downstairs, the music and another item upstairs. I guess I missed the camera. Oh well, I'll check later.

How did it go at the Hollywood Midnight launch for those who went?

Now seeing someone with a signed PS3 makes me wish I would've had the time to go over there :/

I want to avoid all the spoilers since I'll be picking the game up in less than an hour, but how is everyone liking the game?

Beat the second boss fight against
Laughing Octopus
in the second act, at least if the fight against the
Frogs
is the first, which was interesting, to say the least.

Figured I'd just post it in it's own thread. Few notes...

1. Where's the soundtrack? Is it in the MGS4 LE package? I figured the soundtrack was something exclusive to this system bundle...

2. The gun metal finish is really nicely done. It's an actual casting and not paint but the exterior shell material feels just like the shell for our 60GB and 80GB PS3s. Same thing with the DS3, it's an actual casting and not just a paint job but the material feels the same.

3. Konami packed it real nice.

4. MGS4 LE is just like the one you'd get at Gamestop (just picked mine up a bit ago).

5. The material does not attract any fingerprints or dust like the glossy black PS3 finish.

Looks awesome, if they had done it in a 60gb model I would've bitten.. but I'm going to stick to my regular 60gb version.

...i'll probably end up buying it :(

Thanks for the pics. I just got mine today (no signature required - sketchy!), but I don't plan on opening it any time soon. I'm definitely digging the new color.

As sexy as I thought it would be but the 40gb guts killed it for me (and many others).

The soundtrack should be inside the MGS4 case.

bread's done
Back